PDA

View Full Version : Football Thoughts on Chip Kelly As Next Coach?

Marco Polo
11-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Read this before responding. Great read about football in general.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201211/how-oregon-coach-chip-kelly-can-spark-moneyball-revolution-nfl

mr. tegu
11-08-2012, 10:20 AM
I love his aggression and the way his team plays both on offense and defense. Obviously they are pretty pathetic on defense but they at least play aggressive.

suds79
11-08-2012, 10:26 AM
I'd rather have him over some retread.

We tried the Patriot way. We've tried copying others. Lets be innovative for once. Why not?

Do I know if he'd be a good HC? No.

But what I DO know is that we'd score a lot of points. It's the most QB friendly system out there. That's how Tom Brady, Drew Brees (while both great) are helped by it and able to put up such gaudy stats.

I think he'd pair nicely with Geno Smith.

Molitoth
11-08-2012, 10:29 AM
He's worth a shot. If he fails, move on.

Romeo WAS NOT worth a shot.

Woodchuck
11-08-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm not interested in any coach who runs a gimmick offense. I'm really not interestd in college coaches period.

MIAdragon
11-08-2012, 10:31 AM
I want someone to implement the 4 down/never punt system.

CoMoChief
11-08-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm not interested in any coach who runs a gimmick offense. I'm really not interestd in college coaches period.

every coach starts somewhere.

Old Dog
11-08-2012, 10:37 AM

This tells me all I need to know. DO IT

I thought "Sure, why not, it's a different move" before, but if Spongepants is against it, it's 100% the right move to try.

Woodchuck
11-08-2012, 10:40 AM
every coach starts somewhere.

Most successful pro coaches weren't head coaches in college. The best pro coaches are the ones that were players or guys that worked their way through the ranks imo. The only coaches who won it all as HCs on both levels were Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer.

There are exceptions like Harabaugh but, there aren't many.

Imon Yourside
11-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Yes Please.

xztop12
11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
I say yes but it seems highly unlikely

vailpass
11-08-2012, 10:45 AM

We tried the Patriot way. We've tried copying others. Lets be innovative for once. Why not?

But what I DO know is that we'd score a lot of points. It's the most QB friendly system out there. That's how Tom Brady, Drew Brees (while both great) are helped by it and able to put up such gaudy stats.

You think he'd run the same system in the NFL he runs now?

xztop12
11-08-2012, 10:45 AM
He has the fastest paced practices of anyone and with the collective bargaining you want that, due to less overall practice time

xztop12
11-08-2012, 10:46 AM
I wonder how much control a guy like that would want

Red Beans
11-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Most successful pro coaches weren't head coaches in college. The best pro coaches are the ones that were players or guys that worked their way through the ranks imo. The only coaches who won it all as HCs on both levels were Jimmy Johnson and Fece Switzer.

You know, not much has worked for the Chiefs in the traditional sense. So why the **** would this organization not want to think outside the box for once. We've been playing pussy ass follow the leader for the last 20 years. Let's go out and hire some revolutionary forward thinking relatively unheralded coaches, instead of some knuckle dragging troglodyte NFL traditionalists.

It's time to create the "Chief's Way."

Keep churning out the idiocy Chuckpants.

Woodchuck
11-08-2012, 10:48 AM
You know, not much has worked for the Chiefs in the traditional sense. So why the **** would this organization not want to think outside the box for once. We've been playing pussy ass follow the leader for the last 20 years. Let's go out and hire some revolutionary forward thinking relatively unheralded coaches, instead of some knuckle dragging troglodyte NFL traditionalists.

That's cool with me and I agree. I just don't want a college coach. I want an assistant that's in the league now. Not a retread.

Red Beans
11-08-2012, 10:50 AM
That's cool with me and I agree. I just don't want a college coach. I want an assistant that's in the league now. Not a retread.

Because that has worked in the past? I for one would like to have my beloved team be considered revolutionary because we took some chances, not scrambling to hire some Chip Kelly knock off 5 years later, like the rest of the NFL...

Old Dog
11-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Keep churning out the idiocy Chuckpants.

Mr Red Beans,
You should never argue with an idiot. The only thing you're likely to get out of it is a headache.

Red Beans
11-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Mr Red Beans,
You should never argue with an idiot. The only thing you're likely to get out of it is a headache.

True words. It's and occupational hazard and a personality trait that I cannot help from engaging.

I must constantly be reminded that you cannot fix stupid...

okoye35chiefs
11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I like Chip think he would do well.

I also like Perry Fewell from the Giants as HC.

Either way with Pioli here we don't have a chance at either would be my guess.

Woodchuck
11-08-2012, 11:02 AM
I was listening to the Dan Patrick show yesterday. Him and some other guru were saying that KC should hire Chris Peterson, HC Boise State. I guess he might be one of the favorites to land a pro coaching job. What do you think about him?

Also, they polled 500 pro players and asked who they thought would be the best pro coach. Nick Saban won with like half of the vote. I found that kind of interesting...

RealSNR
11-08-2012, 11:09 AM
I was listening to the Dan Patrick show yesterday. Him and some other guru were saying that KC should hire Chris Peterson, HC Boise State. I guess he might be one of the favorites to land a pro coaching job. What do you think about him?

Also, they polled 500 pro players and asked who they thought would be the best pro coach. Nick Saban won with like half of the vote. I found that kind of interesting...

Chris Peterson's kind of in the same boat as Chip Kelly. Does the guy even want to leave college football, much less Boise State?

Red Beans
11-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Chris Peterson's kind of in the same boat as Chip Kelly. Does the guy even want to leave college football, much less Boise State?

That remains the biggest question regarding all this speculation.

Rausch
11-08-2012, 11:16 AM

:shake:

Marco Polo
11-08-2012, 11:16 AM
It is probably similiar to Carroll. He is ambitious and will probably only leave for the right situation/coin. He is aggressive and I like that. He would need to get a prior NFL DC to help with the defense, in my opinion.

vailpass
11-08-2012, 11:21 AM
It is probably similiar to Carroll. He is ambitious and will probably only leave for the right situation/coin. He is aggressive and I like that. He would need to get a prior NFL DC to help with the defense, in my opinion.

:eek: If not two of them. That is the break down in some people pointing to Harbaugh as the reason Kelly could walk into an NFL HC job and succeed. Well, that and the offensive set Harbaugh ran in college vs. what Kelly runs.

Radar Chief
11-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Because that has worked in the past? I for one would like to have my beloved team be considered revolutionary because we took some chances, not scrambling to hire some Chip Kelly knock off 5 years later, like the rest of the NFL...

There is a huge difference in the job responsibilities of an NFL head coach vs. a collage head coach.
The NFL head coach, besides various administrative duties, has to both whip rookies into NFL playing shape and hand holding delicate veteran psyches while a collage coach has to be half game planner and half recruit because they’re the face of the program that has to go to prospects homes and convince parents that their kid should play there.
This is a big part of why successful NFL coaches don’t often translate into successful collage coaches and vice versa.

RealSNR
11-08-2012, 11:24 AM
:eek: If not two of them. That is the break down in some people pointing to Harbaugh as the reason Kelly could walk into an NFL HC job and succeed. Well, that and the offensive set Harbaugh ran in college vs. what Kelly runs.
Kelly's not a dumbass. I doubt he's going to go around and find a random track star to play QB in his offense if he goes to the pros.

Shox
11-08-2012, 11:28 AM
I just don't think you can run that offense in the NFL. So I would say no, he is not the right choice.

vailpass
11-08-2012, 11:29 AM
When was the last time the Chiefs hired a college coach to be head coach? I believe his name was Hank Stram (I'm 90% sure that's the case--please correct me if I'm wrong) Um, just how did THAT hiring work out? Granted, the pro-league was different then, but the fact of the matter is, the Chiefs first coach (and arguably best coach), was not an NFL retread but someone who brought in new ideas.

Just how could hiring an ambitious college coach be WORSE than an apathetic NFL retread?

KC should use helmets without face masks too. They went to the superbowl when they wore those.

RealSNR
11-08-2012, 11:31 AM
KC should use helmets without face masks too. They went to the superbowl when they wore those.
Times sure were different then, weren't they?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RwooCpYJAMo/TUglaD5_YXI/AAAAAAAAAac/TYg8N0JljsY/s1600/broncos62_65.jpg

BigChiefFan
11-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I thought this had already been discussed ad naseum.

Dave Lane
11-08-2012, 11:32 AM

Completely and utterly this. No more fucking retreads, HC or QBs

Frosty
11-08-2012, 11:39 AM
I wasn't sure about Kelly but after reading the Moneyball article and this from TMQ, I'm kind of intrigued.

Did the Starship Enterprise Just Go By, Or Was That the Oregon Offense?

Oregon's Blur Offense is putting up a hard-to-believe 54 points per game -- hard to believe owing to strong opponents, and that the Ducks show good sportsmanship in that they stop trying to score once a second-half lead is insurmountable. (Leading 70-14 at the end of three against Colorado, Oregon all but knelt on the ball for the entire fourth quarter.) Two years ago the Blue Offense seemed unstoppable at 49 points per game, then was held to 19 points in the BCS title contest. Maybe the Ducks will sputter again at the end. But the combination of gonzo tactics and the school's location in one of the most beautiful places in the world makes the Ducks potent. Nice colors and cheerleaders, too.

Obviously Oregon snaps the ball fast. In his UPS commercial, coach Chip Kelly claims an average of 13 seconds between plays, and Oregon achieved that on its first possession at USC -- five snaps in 65 seconds for 75 yards and a touchdown. By the third quarter, Oregon had slowed to 22 seconds between snaps. That's still fast to most teams, and the key thing was that by the third quarter, the Trojans' defense was visibly tired. USC tried to handle the quick pace by "rolling" defenders, subbing in and out on most Oregon downs. This not only didn't work, but the constant sprinting on and off the field seemed, itself, to tire the defense, to say nothing of resulting in snaps on which USC was out of position. Oregon has the same guys on the field on offense, why not just start your best defenders and leave them out?

When TMQ watches the Blur Offense, I don't watch the razzle-dazzle, I watch the blocking. A team does not rush for 426 yards against a ranked opponent on its own field without terrific blocking. Often Kenjon Barner wasn't hit for the first time until he was more than 10 yards downfield.

These days most offenses use zone blocking in part because it involves the least effort for pudgy offensive linemen: just lean and push in the direction of the play. The Blur Offense uses one, two or three pulling linemen on most rushing downs, and has pull plays back-to-back. For the Ducks it's pull and trap, pull and trap -- the linemen are as fit as the wide receivers. The 340-pound offensive lineman today is common; Oregon's heaviest player weighs 311 pounds, and star left tackle Tyler Johnstone practically is a ballerino at 292 pounds.

Even on good teams, offensive linemen usually make an initial block, then just stand there watching the play. Oregon's offensive linemen hustle downfield to make secondary blocks -- this, not backfield stunts, is essential to the Ducks' rushing success. On a long Barner run, Johnstone "set the edge" by turning his man in, then after Barner passed, hustled downfield to block someone else. On another long Barner rush, guard Isaac Remington pulled, got a man, then continued downfield to block another man. Oregon blocks so well that it can use two linemen pulling one way as a misdirection, and the three linemen on the play side still clear a path.

The Ducks gained 730 yards on offense and made 37 first downs, yet snapped so fast USC controlled time of possession. Barner gained 321 yards rushing with an average of 8.4 yards per carry. The Trojans knew he would get the ball, and it didn't matter. Oregon leading 48-38 at the start of the fourth quarter, Lane Kiffin sent in the punt unit on fourth-and-6 near midfield. TMQ wrote the words "game over" in his notebook. There was no chance USC could give the ball back to the Ducks in the fourth quarter with a 10-point deficit and still win. Watching Oregon try to move slowly during its clock-killer possession at the endgame was pretty amusing.

Weakening the Quacks would be an added bonus.

RealSNR
11-08-2012, 11:49 AM
I wasn't sure about Kelly but after reading the Moneyball article and this from TMQ, I'm kind of intrigued.

Weakening the Quacks would be an added bonus.I had visions of the 2003 Chiefs offensive line when I read that bolded part.

Some of the offensive line nuts on this board would be in a constant state of masturbation if Kelly were hired here.

Frosty
11-08-2012, 11:50 AM
I had visions of the 2003 Chiefs offensive line when I read that.

Yup.

Fast players plus outstanding line play = all win.

Sorter
11-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Jamaal would rape behind Kelly's run philosophies, IMO.

Fat Elvis
11-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Clark might be an owner that would pull the trigger on a guy like Kelly. Clark is a numbers guy plain and simple. If a new football philosophy where the numbers added up made sense, I could see Clark giving it the thumbs up. Also, it would really allow him to create his own legacy and step out of Lamar's shadow. Lamar was a revolutionary thinker with regards to football; Clark could be as well.

suds79
11-08-2012, 12:02 PM
You think he'd run the same system in the NFL he runs now?

I don't know why he'd change do you?

Frosty
11-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Clark might be an owner that would pull the trigger on a guy like Kelly. Clark is a numbers guy plain and simple. If a new football philosophy where the numbers added up made sense, I could see Clark giving it the thumbs up. Also, it would really allow him to create his own legacy and step out of Lamar's shadow. Lamar was a revolutionary thinker with regards to football; Clark could be as well.

Clark would have to outspend Phil Knight to get Kelly away from the hole, though.

TimeForWasp
11-08-2012, 12:27 PM

Didn't (ALL) coaches come from the college ranks at one time or another for the most part?

vailpass
11-08-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't know why he'd change do you?

Because it wouldn't work as-is in the NFL?

saphojunkie
11-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Jim Harbaugh doesn't say hi, because he hates your posts.

saphojunkie
11-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Jamaal would rape behind Kelly's run philosophies, IMO.

Then don't hire him.

Behind whose pass philosophies will Geno rape? That's the only question worth asking or answering.

TimeForWasp
11-08-2012, 12:31 PM
From what I noticed , I think the biggest thing that helped the Ducks offense, was the fast pace . Keeping the defenses messed up where they don't have time to adjust. Almost full time 2 minute offense. A play every 13 seconds. If you can game plan a whole game at that pace, I think that is more of his secret ingredient than anything.

Phobia
11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm guessing Chip Kelly would score touchdowns before garbage-time on offense. I also presume he would break that ridiculous opening drive stat and shorten up that 1st quarter scoring vs opponents disparity. I would like to see somebody who thinks outside the box that is the NFL. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it won't work. Do I realistically believe he can score 50+ points per game in KC? No, but I'd like to see if he can try.

TimeForWasp
11-08-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm guessing Chip Kelly would score touchdowns before garbage-time on offense. I also presume he would break that ridiculous opening drive stat and shorten up that 1st quarter scoring vs opponents disparity. I would like to see somebody who thinks outside the box that is the NFL. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it won't work. Do I realistically believe he can score 50+ points per game in KC? No, but I'd like to see if he can try.

Q

Sorter
11-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Then don't hire him.

Behind whose pass philosophies will Geno rape? That's the only question worth asking or answering.

Oh, Geno will rape just as well. SNR be praised!

Rausch
11-08-2012, 12:42 PM
If you think this franchise is able to find the next great HC you should support this.

If you think Clark wants a winner but has no clue how to build one we might want to stick with a solid (established) GM and a HC that can change the culture here...

Imon Yourside
11-08-2012, 12:45 PM
If you think this franchise is able to find the next great HC you should support this.

If you think Clark wants a winner but has no clue how to build one we might want to stick with a solid (established) GM and a HC that can change the culture here...

At this point we would be happy going to the games bagless.

CoMoChief
11-08-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm all for Chip Kelly.

FAX
11-08-2012, 02:51 PM
If Pioli were fired, do you think Haley would consider taking his old job back?

FAX

Titty Meat
11-08-2012, 02:51 PM
No thanks.

Chris Meck
11-08-2012, 03:02 PM
This would be a boom or bust hire. Either that offense will change the league or he'll tank ala Spurrier in spectacular fashion.

FAX
11-08-2012, 03:03 PM
ROFL

I was reading this thread thing and suddenly realized that I quit listening to the Chiefs' HC press conferences. I used to listen to every single one of those deals. Never missed one. Heck, there were times when I'd do that live chat or sit there and refresh the Chiefs' homepage several times an hour so I could hear it as soon as it was posted up.

For some reason, I just up and quit about 3 or 4 weeks ago ... I don't really remember when. And I didn't make a conscious decision to stop ... I just did. No interest in what Roleo has to say, I guess.

Maybe that's apathy ...

I know for certain that I've never before felt this way about the Chiefs. Even during the darkest of times, I always found something about the franchise that held my interest. For me, at least, these are strange days, indeed.

FAX

Woodchuck
11-08-2012, 03:07 PM
If Pioli were fired, do you think Haley would consider taking his old job back?

FAX

I can't see Clark offering it to him but, yes I do. I think Haley would want to come back and clear his name.

You gotta understand, Clark has probably heard all about the wire taps etc. and thinks he's completely nuts. That's what happened to the people who tried to tell HR about the evil boss doing that at my work anyway.

Also, Haley was a loud mouth and Clark will want to be out of the spotlight. He's not going to do anything controversial if he fires Pioli imo.

RunKC
11-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Um Woodchuck I would like you to take a long hard look at one of the best coaching jobs done in the NFL right now in Seattle.

Pete Carroll has been fantastic for that organization and his talent evaluations have been spot on. Look at who this guy has drafted.

Pete Carroll was a college coach and he's been one of the best personnel people in the NFL the last 3 years.

Woodchuck
11-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Um Woodchuck I would like you to take a long hard look at one of the best coaching jobs done in the NFL right now in Seattle.

Pete Carroll has been fantastic for that organization and his talent evaluations have been spot on. Look at who this guy has drafted.

Pete Carroll was a college coach and he's been one of the best personnel people in the NFL the last 3 years.

and...... he was an asst. coach in college before becoming an NFL asst. coach. His first HC job was for the NY Jets. Then, he got a second shot with the Pats.

He had mixed success and eventually was canned so he headed to USC. That was his first time being a HC in college.

This is his third shot in the NFL as a HC.

We need a guy like him who came up throught the NFL
before getting a HC job imo.

He is exactly what I am looking for.

zimdogg
11-08-2012, 03:21 PM
There is a huge difference in the job responsibilities of an NFL head coach vs. a collage head coach.
The NFL head coach, besides various administrative duties, has to both whip rookies into NFL playing shape and hand holding delicate veteran psyches while a collage coach has to be half game planner and half recruit because they’re the face of the program that has to go to prospects homes and convince parents that their kid should play there.
This is a big part of why successful NFL coaches don’t often translate into successful collage coaches and vice versa.

You didn't go to "collage", did you?

vailpass
11-08-2012, 03:25 PM
You didn't go to "collage", did you?

You didn't fight it when the Sisters came for you, did you?

zimdogg
11-08-2012, 03:37 PM
You didn't fight it when the Sisters came for you, did you?

I'll give that one a 3/10. Good effort, but not executed well enough.

Phobia
11-08-2012, 06:07 PM
ROFL

I was reading this thread thing and suddenly realized that I quit listening to the Chiefs' HC press conferences. I used to listen to every single one of those deals. Never missed one. Heck, there were times when I'd do that live chat or sit there and refresh the Chiefs' homepage several times an hour so I could hear it as soon as it was posted up.

For some reason, I just up and quit about 3 or 4 weeks ago ... I don't really remember when. And I didn't make a conscious decision to stop ... I just did. No interest in what Roleo has to say, I guess.

Maybe that's apathy ...

I know for certain that I've never before felt this way about the Chiefs. Even during the darkest of times, I always found something about the franchise that held my interest. For me, at least, these are strange days, indeed.

FAX
I stopped listening to them about mid-way through Herm's tenure. Haven't done anything but listen to snippets, days-after since.

FD
11-08-2012, 06:17 PM

Thats hilarious. Short memories I guess.

TimeForWasp
11-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I forgot who was in charge of the orginization in miami at the time, but Saban may have taken the high road to get out of town.

FlaChief58
11-08-2012, 07:11 PM
ROFL

Maybe that's apathy ...

FAX

:clap: You're not alone

Marco Polo
11-09-2012, 02:23 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/20900771/bellotti-inevitable-that-chip-kelly-leaves-for-the-nfl

EUGENE, Ore. -- Former Oregon (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/OREG/oregon-ducks) coach Mike Bellotti said Thursday it is “inevitable” that Chip Kelly one day leaves the school for the NFL.

Bellotti was one of two people close to the program who told CBSSports.com they don't believe Oregon will be able to keep Kelly if the NFL comes calling again.

“There are nine chances in 10 if he wins out [this season] he's gone,” said another source who did not want to be identified.
Kelly flirted with and eventually turned down the Tampa Bay Bucs last offseason. His Ducks are 9-0 and ranked second (third in the BCS) heading into Saturday's game at Cal. Kelly's success, along with that of former college coaches Pete Carroll, Jim Harbaugh and Greg Schiano in the NFL, has led to continued speculation about the Oregon coach.

After leading the Ducks to consecutive Pac-12 titles including a national championship berth, there aren't many -- if any -- college jobs that would be a step up for Kelly.

“It's just inevitable that he will eventually be in the NFL,” Bellotti said. “Chip is one of the ultimate competitors and he sees that. It actually surprised me he changed his mind [with the Bucs] last year.

“Whether they get to the national championship and whether they win the national championship, I don't know. To think he'll stay there when ultimately his idea of top jobs is to get to the Super Bowl, it won't happen, unfortunately, at the college level.”
Bellotti, who spent 14 years as Oregon's coach, hired Kelly away from New Hampshire to be his offensive coordinator in 2007. Kelly took over the head coaching job when Bellotti stepped down to become Oregon's athletic director in 2009. Bellotti left the university in 2010 to become a game analyst for ESPN.

To say that Kelly has revolutionized the game would be an understatement. In four seasons, he has developed one of the most productive offensives in the game's history. The Ducks are chasing a second BCS title game berth in three years. Kelly is 43-6 in his fourth season heading into Saturday's game at Cal.

When told of Bellotti's comments, Kelly smiled and said, “I have no reaction. What we do here is all I'm focused on … We're not talking about where we're going. We have a one-week mission. Our mission this week is Cal. You need to narrow down your focus more nine games in.”

The second source was asked if the school would be able to keep to Kelly: “I don't think so. I wish we could. He's a friend. I want him to be happy. I would like to think he's got the best college football job in America. He clearly has all the tools that one could ever need.

“Once you get to the top of the mountain, there's one other mountain for him to climb.”

The source did not want to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the subject and the person's relationship with the school.

“He's done amazing things for Oregon,” the person said. “They should change the name of the town quite frankly.”
Earlier, former Oregon quarterback Nate Costa told CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman that he believes Kelly will be in the NFL by 2016 (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/20737400/exploring-the-challenges-of-running-oregons-system-chip-kellys-future).

Bellotti said Kelly would have no problem adjusting to the NFL. He cited former Georgia Tech coach Bobby Ross' transition to the pros.

“They were running some form of the option at Georgia Tech,” Bellotti said. “My own thought was, ‘How can he be successful?' He didn't run the option in the NFL. He [Ross] was a good football coach.”

Kelly, 48, has six years remaining on a contract that automatically rolls over to another six years when he achieves a certain win total each year.

MahiMike
11-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Now you're talkin'! Tell him to bring his innovative ideas along w/some ideas on new unis!

whoman69
11-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Now you're talkin'! Tell him to bring his innovative ideas along w/some ideas on new unis!

No and no. His innovative ideas have already been tried and failed in the NFL. The NFL limits the number of uniforms. No way Hunt goes with a change.

wazu
11-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Yes, please.

hometeam
11-09-2012, 06:56 PM
chip+geno? Sounds nifty.

guitarmy21b
11-09-2012, 06:59 PM
At this point I think Liam Neeson would be an upgrade at HC.

Dylan
11-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Most successful pro coaches weren't head coaches in college. The best pro coaches are the ones that were players or guys that worked their way through the ranks imo. The only coaches who won it all as HCs on both levels were Jimmy Johnson and Fece Switzer.

Prior to his career in the NFL, Tom Coughlin was head coach of Boston College.

jspchief
11-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Prior to his career in the NFL, Tom Coughlin was head coach of Boston College.

Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round.

TribalElder
11-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Chip Kelly + a number one pick for QB

Shit I would get season tickets just to get a look at the playcards

Can you imagine that 4 picture play relaying system at Arrowhead?

Len Dawson, Stealth Bomber, fire, cow.... Now get out there and run that play

DTLB58
11-10-2012, 11:44 AM
YES!

I suggested this about 3 weeks ago. Love the idea. :clap:

Gotta find a GM that is on the same page with him though to acquire his style of player.

DTLB58
11-10-2012, 11:48 AM

You do realize Kelly has met with BB in NE at three times to give them advice on their offense and how to make it better in the NFL?

This would be a perfect fit for where the NFL is going.

DTLB58
11-10-2012, 11:55 AM
I just don't think you can run that offense in the NFL. So I would say no, he is not the right choice.

Again, People need to get a clue before they post.

Kelly advises NE how to run their offense and helped them tweak it this season. Have you noticed how fast the Pats get the the LOS this season? It is a one word system that Brady hells out, usually a one syllable word. Suggested by Chip.

CaliforniaChief
11-10-2012, 12:06 PM

Fast forward to 0:28

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_Nl4SKXCdps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CaliforniaChief
11-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Chip Kelly has intelligence. Freaky intelligence.

And I have no doubt that in the NFL he would build a juggernaut and be a trend-setter, not a follower.

This is what we want: The Chiefs' Way. Let our castoff assistant GM's and coaches go out and ruin other franchises while we pile up trophies.

Back up a Brinks Truck to his house, Clark.

Brock
11-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm interested.

xztop12
11-10-2012, 12:43 PM
You do realize Kelly has met with BB in NE at three times to give them advice on their offense and how to make it better in the NFL?

This would be a perfect fit for where the NFL is going.

So Pioli has the best shot at landing him here?

Bewbies
11-10-2012, 12:55 PM

And I have no doubt that in the NFL he would build a juggernaut and be a trend-setter, not a follower.

This is what we want: The Chiefs' Way. Let our castoff assistant GM's and coaches go out and ruin other franchises while we pile up trophies.

BINGO. :clap:

Valiant
11-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Oregon is my team, so though I would be sad.. I would be all over it if he left for the Chiefs..

Him plus Geno, face paced uptempo offense?? yes.. But it will never happen, we are Chiefs fans for now..

Imon Yourside
11-10-2012, 01:31 PM

Well we know that will never happen.

Tombstone RJ
11-10-2012, 03:00 PM
I say yes but it seems highly unlikely

pretty much this. Kelly is a hot commodity and he will probably bail on Oregon if the Ducks win a championship. He turned down TB already and it's not like the cupboard is bare in Tampa. He's a good coach for sure, he's run a traditional pro offense and a spread offense at Oregon. His teams are all about speed.

if kc goes after him, its gonna be a tuff sell IMHO, but perhaps its the exact challenge Kelly would like?

I really hope you all don't get him. :shake:

DTLB58
11-11-2012, 11:17 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/11/chip-kelly-to-nfl-talk-heats-up/

chiefzilla1501
11-11-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm up for Kelly if he adapts to the NFL game.

NFL defenses are more equipped to stop no-huddle, because they are starting to build defenses with talent who can play in any formation (Poe is a perfect example). And the fast-paced nature of his offense is going to make it really difficult to speed up his defense. Also, he can't run a pure spread in the NFL -- it has to be one more centered around a strong QB.

I'm sold on the idea that he's a disciplined coach. I love his innovative style, and think he is smart enough to know that he can't do the same shit in the NFL. But it does carry some of that risk that his methods may not work in the NFL.

TribalElder
11-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Oregon is #1 in coaches poll

Kelly will likely win the title this year unless k state can stop him

Chip to KC

DTLB58
11-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Report: Multiple NFL teams eyeing Oregon's Chip Kelly

More than a few NFL teams will replace their current coach with somebody new after the season. More than a few NFL teams appear interested in Oregon's Chip Kelly.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday that multiple franchises are plotting ways to speak with Kelly and lure him away from the college ranks.

If Oregon wins a national championship, the hyper-competitive Kelly might be willing to enter the pro game, where his unorthodox up-tempo offense already has seeped into NFL circles. Kelly's scheme was leaned on earlier this season by the New England Patriots and we're seeing strains of it across the league.

Last month, one NFC executive told Daniel Jeremiah: "He runs the best practices I've ever seen. I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity."

Kelly's approach to the game is drenched in innovation. He's no stranger to going for it on fourth downs, and his style would, in many ways, buck the perceived safe approach used by a majority of NFL coaching staffs.

Oregon doesn't want to see Kelly exit stage left, but we don't expect his name to go away as winter approaches.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.