PDA

View Full Version : Football Phil Simms: Eli Manning is not elite

Quesadilla Joe
11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I got blasted this offseason when I called him a more fortunate version of Tony Romo.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/11/simms-says-eli-manning-is-not-elite

Eli Manning made it clear last season that he considers himself one of the “elite” quarterbacks in the NFL.

Phil Simms disagrees.

The former Giants quarterback shot down that “elite” theory on Monday night in an appearance on CBS Sports Network’s NFL Monday QB show. And he didn’t just blame Manning’s current slump, or his poor performance in the Giants’ 31-13 loss in Cincinnati on Sunday either.

“No, he is not one of the elites,” Simms said in quotes distributed by CBS. “Because when I hear the word elite, I’m thinking about guys that can make unbelievable plays on the field by themselves. There are very few quarterbacks in that category.

“So yes, Eli has been a tremendous team player. He has been MVP of the Super Bowl twice. I know that. But the way I look at it, the answer is no.”

It’s hard to argue considering the way Manning has played lately. He has topped 215 passing yards only once in the last five games, and over the past three games he’s had no touchdowns and four interceptions. In his ninth NFL season, the Giants quarterback has dipped into one of the worst slumps of his career.

Still, he has his supporters. Although former NFL quarterback Steve Beuerlein agreed with Simms on the CBS show -- he said “The problem (with the Giants) has been productivity offensively and specifically, Eli is in a slump right now. He is not playing his best football” – Hall of Famer Dan Fouts took Manning’s side.

“You can’t spell elite without Eli,” Fouts said. “The pressure situations that Eli has thrived in over his short career, in my mind, make him an elite quarterback, because that is when you’re judged. How well do you do when the pressure is on, when you’ve got to win the game?

“And all you have to do is look back at his two Super Bowl wins and the way he beat the Patriots. I have to give him a nod and say Eli is elite.”

King_Chief_Fan
11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
so?

DaKCMan AP
11-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Eli Manning > Phyllis Simms

Mile High Mania
11-13-2012, 11:41 AM
It's a silly argument to be honest --- who cares?

If you really want to nail down "elite", the list had 3-4 current QBs. Then there is another level of badass that has 3-4... then you have really really good, with 5-7 QBs.

Deberg_1990
Hes an average regular season QB. But hes tremendous and elite when the stakes are at its highest.

Which type of QB would you rather have? A guy who wins alot of regular season games, or a guy who wins alot of playoff games?

Dartgod
so?

So, you know who else is not an elite QB?

MATT FUCKING CASSEL, THAT'S WHO!!!

loochy
11-13-2012, 11:42 AM
ELI
2× Pro Bowl (2008, 2011)
2× Super Bowl champion (XLII, XLVI)
2× Super Bowl MVP (XLII, XLVI)
2× NFC Champion (2007, 2011)
NFL Record most 4th quarter touchdown passes in a season (15)
Tied NFL Record longest pass completion and touchdown (99 yards)
Tied NFL Record most game-winning drives in a season (8)
Most road wins in a single regular season and postseason by a starting quarterback (10)

Simms
2× Pro Bowl selection (1985, 1993)
1× Newspaper Enterprise Association first-team All-Pro selection (1986)
2× Super Bowl champion (XXI, XXV)
Super Bowl XXI MVP
1986 NEA National Football League Most Valuable Player Award
Shitty QB Son

Face it Simms, Manning > you

bobbything
I'd take Romo, Eli Manning, and any other QB you don't consider elite for the next 10 years.

DaKCMan AP
"sup?"

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nfl/players/full/11252.png&w=350&h=254

Chiefspants
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah, so? Phil Simms is wrong, and so are you.

RealSNR
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Simms just jelly he broke his foot in 1990 and had to give one of his Super Bowl trophies to Hostetler

Deberg_1990
11-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Actually E. Manning has got it all figured out. He knows how unimportant the NFL regular season has become over the years.

Frosty
11-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Phil Simms would know "not elite".

suds79
11-13-2012, 11:45 AM
:ZZZ:

Eli's response?

"Scoreboard b!t#h"

http://media.northjersey.com/images/RingEli.jpg

Mile High Mania
11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
http://fakeconvos.com/view.php?id=54171

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2012, 11:53 AM
I got blasted this offseason when I called him a more fortunate version of Tony Romo.

As you should have because its a stupid fucking comparison. You are a shitstain.

Eli= 2 SB wins

Peyton= 1 SB win

teedubya
11-13-2012, 11:54 AM
ELI
2× Pro Bowl (2008, 2011)
Most road wins in a single regular season and postseason by a starting quarterback (10)

Simms
Super Bowl XXI MVP
Shitty QB Son

I was gonna post on this thread... but now, I don't have to. LOL

the Talking Can
11-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Eli Manning: "Phil Simms is an albino queermo"

Deberg_1990
11-13-2012, 11:56 AM
What does Phil Simms think of Chris Simms?

Quesadilla Joe
11-13-2012, 11:58 AM
As you should have because its a stupid ****ing comparison. You are a shitstain.

Eli= 2 SB wins

Peyton= 1 SB win

Eli has had a lot of things go his way. It's not like the Giants have been steamrolling people in the playoffs. A couple plays here and there have won those Super Bowls for the Giants.

RealSNR
11-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Eli has had a lot of things go his way. It's not like the Giants have been steamrolling people in the playoffs. A couple plays here and there have won those Super Bowls for the Giants.

Holy shit LMAO

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2012, 11:59 AM

You are so stupid, you make a retarded chimp look smart.

bobbything
11-13-2012, 12:00 PM
And if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

Mile High Mania
11-13-2012, 12:02 PM
And if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

And Clayton would be interested...

Quesadilla Joe
11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Dude, the play against the Patriots was the luckiest play in the history of the NFL. Super Bowl or not. I'm not saying Eli is terrible, he just has been awfully lucky. The Giants front 4 should have won the Super Bowl MVP against NE.

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Dude, the play against the Patriots was the luckiest play in the history of the NFL. Super Bowl or not. I'm not saying Eli is terrible, he just has been awfully lucky. The Giants front 4 should have won the Super Bowl MVP against NE.

You're awfully lucky to be on this planet.

Good thing your mother mated with that orangutan...

Deberg_1990
11-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Unban my IP!!!!

milkman
11-13-2012, 12:20 PM

I've told your dumb ass this before.

Eli was spectacular on that play.

He escaped a sure sack, got his head downfield and made the perfect throw.

That play would have been remembered for that, but then David Tyree turned what should have been an easy catch into a circus catch.

Tyree gets credit for a spectacular catch, when he should have been lambasted for nearly letting a perfectly thrown ball get away from him.

The play on the front end from Eli is what should be hailed as the spectacular play.

Eli got lucky because a scrub receiver didn't totally fuck up his spectacular play.

Woodchuck
11-13-2012, 12:22 PM
He got lucky imo. Eli made a good play but, Tyree made the better play imo.

He was lucky Welker dropped that pass last year.

I guess it's better to be lucky than good.

Quesadilla Joe
11-13-2012, 12:31 PM
I've told your dumb ass this before.

Eli was spectacular on that play.

He escaped a sure sack, got his head downfield and made the perfect throw.

That play would have been remembered for that, but then David Tyree turned what should have been an easy catch into a circus catch.

Tyree gets credit for a spectacular catch, when he should have been lambasted for nearly letting a perfectly thrown ball get away from him.

The play on the front end from Eli is what should be hailed as the spectacular play.

Eli got lucky because a scrub receiver didn't totally **** up his spectacular play.

I think everything about that play was lucky. Including the way Eli got out of that sack. I'll give Eli credit for fighting to get away instead of panicking and taking the sack. But 99 times out of 100 a QB would be sacked in that situation, I mean 3 separate Patriot players had a chance to sack him.

Ace Gunner
11-13-2012, 12:41 PM
ya I heard this monday and he has a point, but Eli rolls a lil different than your avg elite player. that season he beat the 18 - 0 Pats, he was playing like dog poo. But the thing is he drove that team through the playoffs and nobody will deny Eli made the plays that beat the Pats for the championship that year.

Simms is becoming a bit of a media whore -- stirring controversy. That's all this amounts to for me.

Eli is a lil slow getting up to speed, no doubt -- probably got his clock cleaned by Peyton a few too many times as a youngster, but he is elite.

milkman
11-13-2012, 12:42 PM
I think everything about that play was lucky. Including the way Eli got out of that sack. I'll give Eli credit for fighting to get away instead of panicking and taking the sack. But 99 times out of 100 a QB would be sacked in that situation, I mean 3 separate Patriot players had a chance to sack him.

You just don't get it.

Of course the QB gets sacked almost everytime in that situation, but rarely do most QBs get out of a sack like that and follow it up with a perfectly thrown ball 30 yards downfield.

Most QBs don't have the moxie to do anything more than run, or look for a checkdown at best.

That's a play only 2 or 3 QBs in the NFL make.

SAUTO
11-13-2012, 12:59 PM

Those "couple plays here and there" that won those gangs were all MADE BY ELI. YOU FUCKING DUMBASS
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
11-13-2012, 01:00 PM
I think everything about that play was lucky. Including the way Eli got out of that sack. I'll give Eli credit for fighting to get away instead of panicking and taking the sack. But 99 times out of 100 a QB would be sacked in that situation, I mean 3 separate Patriot players had a chance to sack him. you and black bob should go choke each other with your cocks
Posted via Mobile Device

okoye35chiefs
11-13-2012, 01:01 PM
he is only elite when it matters...

Sorter
11-13-2012, 01:02 PM

You're even dumber than previously imagined. ROFL

saphojunkie
11-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Phil Simms is not elite.

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2012, 01:44 PM
you and black bob should go choke each other with your cocks
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

memyselfI
11-13-2012, 01:55 PM
I'd take a 'not elite' QB just like Eli Manning any fuggin day. Simms is a freakin moron.

lucifer
11-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Eli Manning is not elite. That's always been obvious, didnt need this guy to spray it out there.

milkman
11-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Eli Manning is not elite. That's always been obvious, didnt need this guy to spray it out there.

Good to know that you're a clueless moron.

lucifer
11-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Good to know that you're a clueless moron.

Because of two offseasons where he sparked it up?

Sorter
11-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Because of two offseasons where he sparked it up?

WTF?

Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a child?

BigMeatballDave
11-13-2012, 02:19 PM
I guess Elway wasn't elite, either.

Knowmo?

RealSNR
11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
The dumbasses apparently called each other last night and decided that today would be a good day to post on Chiefs Planet together.

I've never seen such idiocy spewed around this place all at once.

RealSNR
11-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Oh, that was Joey.

Nevermind.

Garcia Bronco
11-13-2012, 02:36 PM
ELI
2× Pro Bowl (2008, 2011)

Simms
Super Bowl XXI MVP
Shitty QB Son

Eli would be a useless as his father if Eli had to play in the same league that Simms played in.

Simms was a better QB.

milkman
11-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Eli would be a useless as his father if Eli had to play in the same league that Simms played in.

Simms was a better QB.

You must not have seen Eli's father play.

Mile High Mania
11-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Debating levels of greatness in this situation is really kinda pointless, isn't it? I understand that this is about 90% of what happens on a sports message board, but c'mon man.

You don't luck your way into two SB titles as a starting QB... much less 2 SB MVPs. Eli may not be pretty on every play or in every game, few are and to be honest - what matters most is how he shows up in big games or when his team needs him most.

Eli is in that upper tier of great QBs playing today... tier him as you like, but there are few that I'd take over him if given the choice. You can count those guys on 1 hand honestly.