PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Need help from any of the plumbing experts

11-20-2012, 12:56 AM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2045124175033.2098010.1452262855&type=3

I can't get this Y trap under my kitchen sink to budge at all and I need to remove it. There is a hole in the bottom of it.

Any ideas that won't damage the in wall piping? Should I just call a plumber?

cdcox
11-20-2012, 02:14 AM
I didn't see a photo.

What material is the pipe?

Plastic? Cut it out and replace it.

Metal? Replace the under sink pipe with plastic.

JMO.

11-20-2012, 02:28 AM
I didn't see a photo.

What material is the pipe?

Plastic? Cut it out and replace it.

Metal? Replace the under sink pipe with plastic.

JMO.

Odd. It is a public album. hmmmm

Here is the pic. Phobia has provided me a wealth of advice on it.

cdcox
11-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Yikes. I'd follow Phobia's advice.

11-20-2012, 02:55 AM
Yeah, checking with a local friend that used to be a plumber in the morning. If he doesn't want to mess with it then I will call my plumber. If he exceeds phobia's price suggestion then I am taking Phobia up on his offer.

munkey
11-20-2012, 04:34 AM
Why do you need to remove it? What exactly are you trying to do?

Bugeater
11-20-2012, 06:03 AM
Heh. I don't touch cast iron.

11-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Why do you need to remove it? What exactly are you trying to do?

There is a hole in the bottom of it now so it needs replaced. But the damn thing won't budge.

Abba-Dabba
11-20-2012, 06:26 AM
cut it off, flexibile hose/coupler clamped on

anyone that charges you more than $50-60 for that simple job is taking advantage

cdcox
11-20-2012, 07:26 AM
cut it off, flexibile hose/coupler clamped on

anyone that charges you more than $50-60 for that simple job is taking advantage

Not much space between the wall and the fitting to a) cut it off and b) fit the coupler on to the existing pipe. You're going to have to rip out a lot of wallboard to gain access. If a plumber had that problem in his own home, he'd pay you $60 for that "simple job" in a heartbeat.

stonedstooge
11-20-2012, 07:28 AM
How could it leak? There's nothing hooked up to it

jspchief
11-20-2012, 07:40 AM
How could it leak? There's nothing hooked up to it Tell me you're joking

stonedstooge
11-20-2012, 07:41 AM
Tell me you're joking

ROFL

Dave Lane
11-20-2012, 07:46 AM
If you are already getting leaks in the cast iron I think your very best (but not cheap) method is to remove all of the cast iron to the main stack and put in PVC.

Seriously cast iron lasts a very long time but if its rusted thru / leaking remove it all now or suffer for years to come.

stonedstooge
11-20-2012, 07:48 AM
If you are already getting leaks in the cast iron I think your very best (but not cheap) method is to remove all of the cast iron to the main stack and put in PVC.

Seriously cast iron lasts a very long time but if its rusted thru / leaking remove it all now or suffer for years to come.

Yeah, messing with 1 fitting usually leads to multiple problems with cast iron. Best to bite the bullet now and remove it all if possible

11-20-2012, 07:51 AM
How could it leak? There's nothing hooked up to it

Yeah. NOW. LMAO

11-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Yeah, messing with 1 fitting usually leads to multiple problems with cast iron. Best to bite the bullet now and remove it all if possible

pisses me off this had to happen right before christmas. Plus we were looking at needing a new clothes dryer too.

Not to mention my potential upcoming surgery.

munkey
11-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Not much space between the wall and the fitting to a) cut it off and b) fit the coupler on to the existing pipe. You're going to have to rip out a lot of wallboard to gain access. If a plumber had that problem in his own home, he'd pay you $60 for that "simple job" in a heartbeat.

Thia...sawzall....

Phobia
11-20-2012, 08:26 AM

Exactly.

Phobia
11-20-2012, 08:27 AM
pisses me off this had to happen right before christmas. Plus we were looking at needing a new clothes dryer too.

Not to mention my potential upcoming surgery.

If I end up driving that way, send me a schematic and I'll do your surgery too.

plbrdude
11-20-2012, 08:32 AM
you can cut it off at the wall, then notch the nipple in the tee in the wall with your sawzall, chisel it out, and then re-tap the fitting and then go from there with material of your choice.
or you can open the wall and cut tee out of wall and then slip in a couple fernco couplers or no-hub cast iron couplers with a new tee.
of course you could order some leakender 2000 off tv, that tv stuff is always good.

Bwana
11-20-2012, 08:36 AM
If I end up driving that way, send me a schematic and I'll do your surgery too.

Heh the Dr. Phil buy a trap, get free surgery Thanksgiving deal! :thumb:

Phobia
11-20-2012, 09:48 AM
you can cut it off at the wall, then notch the nipple in the tee in the wall with your sawzall, chisel it out, and then re-tap the fitting and then go from there with material of your choice.

That's what we had to do in his upstairs bathroom several years ago.

Abba-Dabba
11-20-2012, 10:25 AM

I'd be surprised if you couldn't fit a blade back there to cut it off. At most it looks as if you may need to cut an inch maybe of wallboard around the existing pipe for extra space to reach a wrench in there to tighten the clamp on a coupler.

You guys seriously crack me up. You tools took a $50 fix and made it into a thousands of dollars plumbing job.

Radar Chief
11-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Have you tried applying some heat to it?

mikeyis4dcats.
11-20-2012, 10:51 AM
if the hole is clean and solid, just take a wire brush to it and use to clean the hole good. Mix up JB WELD, and stuff it in the hole, smoothing the inside out, and leaving a health amount on the exterior. Let it cure. Test for leaks. If it leaks, call a plumber. If not, you spent $15 and saved hundreds.