PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ted Sundquist as the next GM. How would you feel?

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 08:05 AM
He was very successful in Denver. Made the move for Cutler. Got high profiled free agents while he was there, and interviewed for the job before Scooter got hired. I'm listening to some shitty podcast that is interviewing him and he seems pretty intelligent. What would you say?

MotherfuckerJones
11-21-2012, 08:07 AM
He was very successful in Denver. Made the move for Cutler. Got high profiled free agents while he was there, and interviewed for the job before Scooter got hired. I'm listening to some shitty podcast that is interviewing him and he seems pretty intelligent. What would you say?

I'd be down. I don't care who it is. I wanted the big name and he flopped. I want a good coach that's what I care about

CoMoChief
11-21-2012, 08:12 AM
I'd really want the guy from NYG or Philly.

ChiefMojo
11-21-2012, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't be against Sundquist but he hasn't been a GM for quite a while now. With that said he was the GM for the Broncos when they had their glory years. I guess it isn't hard to look good when you have John Elway as your QB but as we all know there was a lot of excellent players on those Broncos rosters through the years (Elway wasn't the only HOF player).

Lex Luthor
11-21-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm more on board with the idea of hiring the head coach first, THEN the GM.

Hiring the GM first last time didn't turn out so well. It's time to try something different. I know it's tempting to hire someone, ANYONE, as long it's not Pioli, but that strategy has inherent dangers it it. You could wind up with Pioli Part Deux.

htismaqe
11-21-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm more on board with the idea of hiring the head coach first, THEN the GM.

Hiring the GM first last time didn't turn out so well. It's time to try something different. I know it's tempting to hire someone, ANYONE, as long it's not Pioli, but that strategy has inherent dangers it it. You could wind up with Pioli Part Deux.

This.

Setsuna
11-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Name is too close to Sandusky. NEXT.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 08:34 AM
One interesting thing for me was listening to Sundquist talking about Pioli and his good ole boys network. He said it was easy to get comfortable in that mold, but you had to go out and find guys you've never worked with before so you'd have some outside the box thinking, and different ideas on how to achieve the same goals. I liked that. I'll tell you, listening to him talk I came away impressed.

The bolded part was just for you Sandusuna!

Dave Lane
11-21-2012, 09:00 AM
I'd be down. I don't care who it is. I wanted the big name and he flopped. I want a good coach that's what I care about

No I want a fucking GM that won't meddle with and try to undermine our head coach. We could have had something in Haley and we will never know because of Dr. Evil.

Support the HC as best you can and get him what he needs to succeed.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 09:01 AM
No I want a fucking GM that won't meddle with and try to undermine our head coach. We could have had something in Haley and we will never know because of Dr. Evil.

Great post.

Ace Gunner
11-21-2012, 09:05 AM
No I want a ****ing GM that won't meddle with and try to undermine our head coach. We could have had something in Haley and we will never know because of Dr. Evil.

yep and so priority 1 should be who the next HC is gonna be

htismaqe
11-21-2012, 09:07 AM
yep and so priority 1 should be who the next HC is gonna be

Yep.

Get the coach, THEN get the GM.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Clark isn't going to do that. He's hands off. His dad was hands off. I like the idea, but gentlemen, it's not going to happen.

notorious
11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't be against Sundquist but he hasn't been a GM for quite a while now. With that said he was the GM for the Broncos when they had their glory years. I guess it isn't hard to look good when you have John Elway as your QB but as we all know there was a lot of excellent players on those Broncos rosters through the years (Elway wasn't the only HOF player).

Bingo.

He may be good, but this fact actually hurts him.

MagicHef
11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
During his tenure as GM (2002-2007) we had one good draft (2006). The rest were particularly awful. It is possible that Shanahan had full control the entire time, though.

Our trades throughout this period seemed to be very favorable, most notably Champ + a 2nd for Portis, and the trade up for Cutler. Again, this may have been Shanahan.

Cap-wise, we were always in trouble. Every year we were paying significant amounts to cut players from previous years. Once again, Shanahan?

Ace Gunner
11-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Clark isn't going to do that. He's hands off. His dad was hands off. I like the idea, but gentlemen, it's not going to happen.

It depends who he's connected with and what the HR pool looks like for both positions. He's been talking with Marty, and I doubt Marty has GM ideas for him. Not to say Hunt has been talking to Marty about turning the FO etc over, but you just don't know. I will say this, it's not a question of whether Hunt will replace this staff, it's a question of when. But your point weighs heavily in how Hunt & fam operate the Chiefs. If there is a hot name in coaching when Hunt pulls the trigger, he could go this way.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 09:38 AM
During his tenure as GM (2002-2007) we had one good draft (2006). The rest were particularly awful. It is possible that Shanahan had full control the entire time, though.

Our trades throughout this period seemed to be very favorable, most notably Champ + a 2nd for Portis, and the trade up for Cutler. Again, this may have been Shanahan.

Cap-wise, we were always in trouble. Every year we were paying significant amounts to cut players from previous years. Once again, Shanahan?

Interesting. I haven't done enough of my own research on their drafts, but I do remember hearing us talk shit on them. I know Shanahan had some control, but how much? I know if he's hired by Clark he'll do it his way. That's the way Clark and the Hunt's have always done business. Sundquist also came out and said he interviewed for the job in 08, and would be interested in it now if it came available. He sounded like a damned Chiefs fan in a pretty shitty podcast, so he wasn't exactly lobbying to anyone that would hear him.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 09:38 AM
It depends who he's connected with and what the HR pool looks like for both positions. He's been talking with Marty, and I doubt Marty has GM ideas for him. Not to say Hunt has been talking to Marty about turning the FO etc over, but you just don't know. I will say this, it's not a question of whether Hunt will replace this staff, it's a question of when. But your point weighs heavily in how Hunt & fam operate the Chiefs. If there is a hot name in coaching when Hunt pulls the trigger, he could go this way.

Chip. Kelly.

Ace Gunner
11-21-2012, 09:43 AM
"Ted Sundquist is a former USOT bobsledder -- he has no football experience, therefore he blows"

Kaylore
11-21-2012, 09:44 AM
You guys are off on this. Just because Pioli was a bad GM, doesn't mean the whole concept of hiring a GM and then a head coach is bad. That's like getting in a car accident and then deciding you shouldn't drive anymore.

The GM and Coach with split duties model is working everywhere else in the NFL. You just got a bad GM, who ironically came from one of the last places where the coach is the GM. Another red flag is they have been drafting better in NE since Pioli left.

As for Sundquist, I would love to know how the OP got the idea that he was responsible for the Cutler trade. The brains behind Sundquist was Rick Smith who is the current GM for the Texans. How are they doing at drafting again?

Sundquist is a fraud and there's a reason he hasn't been able to get work since getting axed. He was a figurehead during the Shanahan years and none of those teams were ever very good. He was responsible for the Browncos - the Cleveland castoffs we signed for one year. He's not responsible for the Cutler trade, despite the OP's response.

As a Bronco fan, I would love for you guys to sign him. What you need to do is sign a GM who comes from a system that has success drafting and developing players, but more importantly, has had success in the pro-personnel department. Then let him pick a coach who will pick good assistants and let them focus on coaching.

The problem with your front office is Pioli, not having a GM. You don't want to go back to the nineties model.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 09:46 AM
You guys are off on this. Just because Pioli was a bad GM, doesn't mean the whole concept of hiring a GM and then a head coach is bad. That's like getting in a car accident and then deciding you shouldn't drive anymore.

The GM and Coach with split duties model is working everywhere else in the NFL. You just got a bad GM, who ironically came from one of the last places where the coach is the GM. Another red flag is they have been drafting better in NE since Pioli left.

As for Sundquist, I would love to know how the OP got the idea that he was responsible for the Cutler trade. The brains behind Sundquist was Rick Smith who is the current GM for the Texans. How are they doing at drafting again?

Sundquist is a fraud and there's a reason he hasn't been able to get work since getting axed. He was a figurehead during the Shanahan years and none of those teams were ever very good. He was responsible for the Browncos - the Cleveland castoffs we signed for one year. He's not responsible for the Cutler trade, despite the OP's response.

As a Bronco fan, I would love for you guys to sign him. What you need to do is sign a GM who comes from a system that has success drafting and developing players, but more importantly, has had success in the pro-personnel department. Then let him pick a coach who will pick good assistants and let them focus on coaching.

The problem with your front office is Pioli, not having a GM. You don't want to go back to the nineties model.

Heh, the OP got it straight from the horse's mouth. Ted himself took credit for it in the interview. Good insight Donko fan. Much appreciated. :thumb:

htismaqe
11-21-2012, 09:48 AM
The GM and Coach with split duties model is working everywhere else in the NFL.

We don't have a GM and Coach with split duties today. We haven't had that since Marty and Carl.

The GM here is FIRMLY in control and makes every decision, including what stairs the staff can use and who plays QB on Sundays.

MagicHef
11-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Interesting. I haven't done enough of my own research on their drafts, but I do remember hearing us talk shit on them. I know Shanahan had some control, but how much? I know if he's hired by Clark he'll do it his way. That's the way Clark and the Hunt's have always done business. Sundquist also came out and said he interviewed for the job in 08, and would be interested in it now if it came available. He sounded like a damned Chiefs fan in a pretty shitty podcast, so he wasn't exactly lobbying to anyone that would hear him.

Outside of 2006, the players we drafted that amounted to anything were:

Portis
DJ Williams (debatable)
Darrent Williams could have, if he hadn't been murdered.

That's in 5 drafts.

Ace Gunner
11-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Chip. Kelly.

You wonder if a guy like Kelly isn't going to take over a mess in KC when he could take the SD gig etc.

Kaylore
11-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Heh, the OP got it straight from the horse's mouth. Ted himself took credit for it in the interview. Good insight Donko fan. Much appreciated. :thumb:

That doesn't sound like Ted Sunquist at all! Look at all the people lining up at his door who believe him! But he heard him in an interview so he must know he's a genius.

Kaylore
11-21-2012, 09:56 AM
We don't have a GM and Coach with split duties today. We haven't had that since Marty and Carl.

The GM here is FIRMLY in control and makes every decision, including what stairs the staff can use and who plays QB on Sundays.

All the more reason not to throw out the model, then. If it hasn't had a fair shake, you can't be all "anti-GM's" because Pioli sucks.

htismaqe
11-21-2012, 10:03 AM
All the more reason not to throw out the model, then. If it hasn't had a fair shake, you can't be all "anti-GM's" because Pioli sucks.

You're missing the point.

Since Marty left, we have taken the "hire a GM to have complete control and let him hire the coach" approach.

You seem to suggest that we should have a GM/head coach equal share while you're also suggesting that we should stay the course.

The two ideas are contradictory - for us, having a GM/head coach share would be DEPARTING from the current course.

Simply Red
11-21-2012, 10:10 AM
No I want a ****ing GM that won't meddle with and try to undermine our head coach. We could have had something in Haley and we will never know because of Dr. Evil.

I second Mr. Flopnuts, good post Lane.

Chief Roundup
11-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Yep.

Get the coach, THEN get the GM.

Man I just don't know about any of it really. How can we trust Clark to hire a good HC? I just don't have a lot of trust in Clarks experience level in being able to choose a correct option at any position. I would of thought with Clark being more of a business man he would of been able to pick a GM. But I just don't know if Clark has enough true football knowledge to make a hire for the HC position.

htismaqe
11-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Man I just don't know about any of it really. How can we trust Clark to hire a good HC? I just don't have a lot of trust in Clarks experience level in being able to choose a correct option at any position. I would of thought with Clark being more of a business man he would of been able to pick a GM. But I just don't know if Clark has enough true football knowledge to make a hire for the HC position.

If he doesn't have enough football knowledge to hire the HC, how does he have enough football knowledge to hire the GM, who is responsible for the entire football operation, including player personnel?

King_Chief_Fan
11-21-2012, 10:36 AM

not going to care either way.

I can remember how there was a hugh majority endorsing Pioli and well, we know how that worked out

Chief Roundup
11-21-2012, 10:43 AM
If he doesn't have enough football knowledge to hire the HC, how does he have enough football knowledge to hire the GM, who is responsible for the entire football operation, including player personnel?

The GM position is a management position. Seeing that Clark is a successful business man and one of the key positions in any business is the general or business management position. This should be a type of person that Clark should be able to indentify with easier than the type of person you want at the HC position.

htismaqe
11-21-2012, 10:49 AM
The GM position is a management position. Seeing that Clark is a successful business man and one of the key positions in any business is the general or business management position. This should be a type of person that Clark should be able to indentify with easier than the type of person you want at the HC position.

In football, the general manager is the head of your scouting department. In no way is a football GM a "general" manager.

Titty Meat
11-21-2012, 11:31 AM
He did an interview with Fescoe it was pretty good but I wouldn't hire the guy.

http://www.610sports.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=6128676

DaWolf
11-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Hey, I heard Pioli interviews before we hired him and read "War Room" after we hired him and came away impressed, like Clark did.

Impressed don't mean squat if there isn't substance behind what is being said. No to Sundquist...

KCDC
11-21-2012, 12:58 PM
When Sundquist thought that Alex Smith might be the answer for the Chiefs, I crossed him off my list. Alex Smith is just Matt Cassel +1. Surround any QB with the talent in SF and they will look decent.

Setsuna
11-21-2012, 05:42 PM
You wonder if a guy like Kelly isn't going to take over a mess in KC when he could take the SD gig etc.

SD is in even more of a mess than KC. They are STILL married to a broke dick QB when yall are in the final year of yours. They won't be able to do jack until Rivers takes himself out of SD.

Edit: KC doesn't have a broke dick QB because your QB never had a dick to break. Sorry. My mistake!

Mr. Flopnuts
11-21-2012, 06:14 PM
One interesting thing for me was listening to Sundquist talking about Pioli and his good ole boys network. He said it was easy to get comfortable in that mold, but you had to go out and find guys you've never worked with before so you'd have some outside the box thinking, and different ideas on how to achieve the same goals. I liked that. I'll tell you, listening to him talk I came away impressed.

The bolded part was just for you Sandusuna!

SD is in even more of a mess than KC. They are STILL married to a broke dick QB when yall are in the final year of yours. They won't be able to do jack until Rivers takes himself out of SD.

Edit: KC doesn't have a broke dick QB because your QB never had a dick to break. Sorry. My mistake!

ROFL How did you miss this, fuckface? :fire:

#1 Bronco's Fan
11-21-2012, 06:55 PM

Why don't the Chiefs try to be the Chiefs instead of the Broncos?