PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs A Hell of a Take on the Belcher Tragedy by Brady Quinn...

mikey23545
12-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Quinn, speaking to the media after the game:

"The one thing people can hopefully try to take away I guess, is the relationships they have with people. I know when it happened, in my head I’m thinking, what I could have done differently? When you ask someone how they are doing, do you really mean it? When you answer someone back how you are doing, are you really telling the truth?

“We live in a society of social networks, with Twitter pages and Facebook, and that’s fine and stuff. But we have contact with our work associates, our family, our friends, and it seems like half the time we are more preoccupied with our phone and other things going on instead of the actual relationships that we have in front of us.

“Hopefully people can learn from this and try to actually help if someone is battling something deeper on the inside than what they may be revealing on a day-to-day basis.”

AussieChiefsFan
12-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Deep.

Imon Yourside
12-03-2012, 02:31 AM
The trick is how do we get BQ into 140qb rating mode more often without something crazy going on? Solve that and we're Bowl bound.

mikey23545
12-03-2012, 02:33 AM
Deep.

For a football player? Yes, it is.

mikey23545
12-03-2012, 02:34 AM
The trick is how do we get BQ into 140qb rating mode more often without something crazy going on? Solve that and we're Bowl bound.

This isn't a "Quinn=QBOTF" thread. I just thought that it was a nice quote by BQ.

Chiefspants
12-03-2012, 03:06 AM
I was very impressed with the thoughts he shared on the matter after the game. Considering the gravity and complexity of the tragedy, I definitely wasn't expecting players to provide much of an insight to their true thoughts on the issue.

EPodolak
12-03-2012, 03:11 AM
Good articulation of how thoughtful people might feel in that situation.

BQ did graduate after all.

Hammock Parties
12-03-2012, 03:27 AM
I just like that Quinn is giving his two cents now instead of Cassel.

If Mellinger hadn't written that shit about Cassel last week it would be like he didn't exist for the last three weeks.

rico
12-03-2012, 04:28 AM
QB limitations aside, I like the dude BQ has become. He used to seem so douchey to me when he was at Notre Dame... now, after interviews like that one, he seems like an intelligent, introspective thinker. Pretty cool. Whatever Cassel's speech would have been, I'm sure it would have seemed scripted, written by someone else and forced...and I would have been rolling my eyes. Not the case with Quinn. He seems pretty impulsive and animated with some of his responses in interviews, which gives me the vibe that he is "winging" things....and judging by his interviews in the past couple years, I'm impressed with his ability to do that.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-03-2012, 05:47 AM
QB limitations aside, I like the dude BQ has become. He used to seem so douchey to me when he was at Notre Dame... now, after interviews like that one, he seems like an intelligent, introspective thinker. Pretty cool. Whatever Cassel's speech would have been, I'm sure it would have seemed scripted, written by someone else and forced...and I would have been rolling my eyes. Not the case with Quinn. He seems pretty impulsive and animated with some of his responses in interviews, which gives me the vibe that he is "winging" things....and judging by his interviews in the past couple years, I'm impressed with his ability to do that.

Cassel would've said Cassandra didn't grade out perfectly.

cyborgtable
12-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Deep and a good message

notorious
12-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Everyone that has someone fairly close to them commit suicide will ask themselves this.

I will never stop asking myself those questions.

Setsuna
12-03-2012, 07:08 AM
All fine and dandy to realize this after the fact. Doesn't help him or the woman that died and the child left parentless though. I hate things like this. Tell yourself this privately not for the world to hear when you'll be right back to being oblivious in about 6 months. Infuriating.

Mile High Mania
12-03-2012, 07:11 AM
All fine and dandy to realize this after the fact. Doesn't help him or the woman that died and the child left parentless though. I hate things like this. Tell yourself this privately not for the world to hear when you'll be right back to being oblivious in about 6 months. Infuriating.

Says the man over the Internet...

chiefzilla1501
12-03-2012, 07:33 AM

I wouldn't treat these as small words. He's blaming himself for something somebody else did when it would have been easy to just make a canned statement. I don't think any more or less of Quinn, but I don't see how anyone can see anything wrong with this.

chiefs1okie
12-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Anyone have a link or video of the half time segment during last night's game? I heard Berman say they were doing a piece with Romeo and Quinn during half time, but I unfortunately fell asleep half way through second quarter and missed it.

Easy 6
12-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Yeah, it appears he isnt a douche after all, very well stated for being off the cuff.

memyselfI
12-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Likewise, I have been impressed with the more mature and humble Brady Quinn. I thought he took some real leadership strides with his comments he's made throughout the season but this weekend in particular.

durtyrute
12-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Now, get off the computer and go hug someone.

TheGuardian
12-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Unlike Cassel, Brady seems like a likable guy. If he had played all of his starts like he played yesterday we're talking playoffs, not 1st pick.

htismaqe
12-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Unlike Cassel, Brady seems like a likable guy. If he had played all of his starts like he played yesterday we're talking playoffs, not 1st pick.

If he had played all of his starts like he played yesterday, he wouldn't be Brady Quinn.

Inconsistency is the name of his game.

WhiteWhale
12-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Feeling guilt is natural after a friend/peer commits suicide. You sound like an asshole.

The Franchise
12-03-2012, 08:18 AM

Shut the fuck up, you worthless retard.

ChiTown
12-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Feeling guilt is natural after a friend/peer commits suicide. You are a raging douchebag.

FYP

boogblaster
12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
good call .. not much more ya could say .. and yes we all are quilty of pre-ops .....

memyselfI
12-03-2012, 08:59 AM

I see it in the reverse. Quinn has never had the reputation of 'likeable guy' while by all accounts Cassel has. I am glad that Quinn has come off his high horse and is no longer a caricature. I don't think that discounts Cassel as being a likeable guy which he is. It's just many in this city don't like him.

mikey23545
12-03-2012, 11:30 AM

Exactly.

Most football players and coaches answer any question with trite, recycled statements that we've all heard a thousand times. But a situation like this one lies so far outside the pale that there are very few "canned" answers to fall back on. Quinn had to give his own answers to the questions, because he had no others to give, and came off sounding very reflective and mature.

Imon Yourside
12-03-2012, 12:01 PM
This isn't a "Quinn=QBOTF" thread. I just thought that it was a nice quote by BQ.

Panties = out of bunch = do it and I agree.

keg in kc
12-03-2012, 12:02 PM
He did really well yesterday both on the field and off it. As he put it in one of his interviews, maybe this whole event will be a redefining moment for him.

memyselfI
12-03-2012, 12:31 PM
He did really well yesterday both on the field and off it. As he put it in one of his interviews, maybe this whole event will be a redefining moment for him.

My son was watching him and saying what a class act and how much of a leader he is. He's too young to remember the younger Brady Quinn version. I told him that he's matured a lot and I think his time on the bench has caused him to become humbled. I hope he stays as our backup. I thought I'd never say something like that. And I'd rather have him than Kyle Orton who I still don't think could handle something like Quinn did yesterday.

Demonpenz
12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
now I'm done

J Diddy
12-03-2012, 04:34 PM
My son was watching him and saying what a class act and how much of a leader he is. He's too young to remember the younger Brady Quinn version. I told him that he's matured a lot and I think his time on the bench has caused him to become humbled. I hope he stays as our backup. I thought I'd never say something like that. And I'd rather have him than Kyle Orton who I still don't think could handle something like Quinn did yesterday.

He's getting traded to Oakland?

HemiEd
12-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Everyone that has someone fairly close to them commit suicide will ask themselves this.

I will never stop asking myself those questions.

It has happened to me twice in my life, and the one thing both of them had in common was complacency. "It just doesn't matter."

If I ever hear that again from anyone, my antennae will be fully erect and I will be involved.

bricks
12-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Well, the saying "how are you?" is too common and familiar that we're so accustomed to it. In other words, we're programmed to say it.

That's the problem right there. Because were so programmed to say "how are you?" We actually become desensitized to the actual saying itself.

Now, I'm no expect on this topic but I'm just stating what I believe.

loochy
12-03-2012, 04:51 PM
When you ask someone how they are doing, do you really mean it?
No, and that's why I don't do it. I don't really care how most people are doing. I usually say "hi" or "hello" instead. I don't say "good morning" because I don't like morning.

When you answer someone back how you are doing, are you really telling the truth?

Yes.

J Diddy
12-03-2012, 04:52 PM
It has happened to me twice in my life, and the one thing both of them had in common was complacency. "It just doesn't matter."

If I ever hear that again from anyone, my antennae will be fully erect and I will be involved.

I will make sure never to say that, even jokingly, around you. You keep your erect antenna the hell away from me.

memyselfI
12-03-2012, 04:53 PM

Except sometimes it really does happen in what seems out of the blue. We had a friend who was leading a double life and did it when he was found out. No one saw it

J Diddy
12-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Well, the saying "how are you?" is too common and familiar that we're so accustomed to it. In other words, we're programmed to say it.

That's the problem right there. Because were so programmed to say "how are you?" We actually become desensitized to the actual saying itself.

Now, I'm no expect on this topic but I'm just stating what I believe.

This is a good point. Something I've noticed a lot of lately. I'll always just ramble off how ya doing without thinking about it and a lot of time will get a hello or nod. First it irritated me, but then i realized it was just the spontaneous equivalent of hello.

bricks
12-03-2012, 05:24 PM
This is a good point. Something I've noticed a lot of lately. I'll always just ramble off how ya doing without thinking about it and a lot of time will get a hello or nod. First it irritated me, but then i realized it was just the spontaneous equivalent of hello.

That's an interesting perspective. It could be seen that way.

Chiefspants
12-03-2012, 07:21 PM
His comments are now on the front page of Reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/147qcy/of_all_people_brady_quinn_delivers_the_most_basic/

Marcellus
12-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Why didn't he mention the fans not booing yesterday contributed to the win?

O.city
12-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Good for Quinn.

Props.

memyselfI
12-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Why didn't he mention the fans not booing yesterday contributed to the win?

I know, right? :D

HMc
12-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Am I only one that thinks this isn't terribly profound or deep, and that it's just been reposted across the internet with (roughly) the same title because that's what people do?

The problem with his comment (IMO) is that "How are you doing?" is merely a greeting. It isn't an actual request for information on that person's wellbeing. If you want to actually know, you have to go a bit deeper than that.

There's a good reason people don't download all their personal shit onto people who ask "how ya doin mate?".

rabblerouser
12-04-2012, 02:40 AM
QB limitations aside, I like the dude BQ has become. He used to seem so douchey to me when he was at Notre Dame... now, after interviews like that one, he seems like an intelligent, introspective thinker. Pretty cool.

2 years on the bench, coupled with the other ups and downs of marriage and basically life can change a person during their mid-20's.

I've always liked BQ, coming out of college I wanted the Chiefs to trade back up to nab him after Bowe...he should've started the season opener, as far as I'm concerned.

mikey23545
12-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Am I only one that thinks this isn't terribly profound or deep, and that it's just been reposted across the internet with (roughly) the same title because that's what people do?

The problem with his comment (IMO) is that "How are you doing?" is merely a greeting. It isn't an actual request for information on that person's wellbeing. If you want to actually know, you have to go a bit deeper than that.

There's a good reason people don't download all their personal shit onto people who ask "how ya doin mate?".

I don't notice anyone saying it's terribly profound or deep.

mikey23545
12-04-2012, 09:37 AM

Know how I can tell you are someone who's more preoccupied with their phone then the people around them?

listopencil
12-04-2012, 12:36 PM
It's a good message and I thought he was being sincere. I think he was in put in the position where he was required to say something. He's the starting QB right now and that's part of the job. Kudos to him for doing the job well last Sunday, on and off the field.

HemiEd
12-04-2012, 01:11 PM
I will make sure never to say that, even jokingly, around you. You keep your erect antenna the hell away from me.

Don't bend the shafts!

HMc
12-04-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't notice anyone saying it's terribly profound or deep.

The title calls it a "hell of a take".

The reddit title calles it the "most basic and profound lesson".

I just didn't think it was any of that.

HMc
12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Know how I can tell you are someone who's more preoccupied with their phone then the people around them?

Do enlighten me.

The Iron Chief
12-06-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm impressed with Quinn.

I always thought if he spoke it would be more along the lines of..

"I pick things up and put them down"