PDA

View Full Version : Life My dog ran off

Bump
12-03-2012, 12:30 PM
So I'm out raking the leaves on this nice day. I have a fenced in back yard so I thought it would be nice if my dog was out with me while I rake. I opened the gate for a split second to grab another leaf bag and BAM, she bolts out full sprint.

I run after her, yelling COME HERE. She turns the block and I lose my line of sight, I run up there and can't see her.

I run back to my house get in my car, drive around for 30 minutes or so and by some miracle, there she is about a mile away from my house and she was just about to run into a damn highway.

I jump out of the car, yelling COME HER SCARLETTE! and she runs up to me and into my car completely out of breath.

I haven't been that worried in a long long time.

I think I need to train her some discipline. Damn, what a way to start the day.

loochy
12-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Your dog was trained by a corporation

Bugeater
12-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Quiksurfer should be able to help you find it.

Saul Good
12-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Same thing happened to my goldfish.

loochy
Why does memyselfi live in your backyard?

Bump
Quiksurfer should be able to help you find it.

I found her

she is sitting in her crate to think about what she has done lol

Old Dog
12-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Her name is all wrong, that's the problem.

Had you named her Thomas Jones, she would go about three yards and then sit (or maybe fall)

glad you found her

bevischief
12-03-2012, 12:33 PM
It's the midgets.

Bowser
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Probably read Denise's thread and decided she needed to leave before the need to rip a human's throat out overtook her.

That dog loves you.

Lumpy
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Shock collar.

Happy to hear that you got her back!

Lzen
12-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Antifreeze

okoye35chiefs
12-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Had you named her Thomas Jones, she would go about three yards and then sit (or maybe fall)

glad you found her

i like this...

my Akita used to run off and I would have to jump in the car and chase him. As soon as I would stop and open the door the dumb dog would jump in...

he was free running the wild and would see my car and come jump in

"oh boy I get to go for a ride"

dumb dog..

long story short.. glad you got your dog back

Buehler445
12-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Suck man.

I worry about mine a lot because he goes to work with me every day.

But yeah, definitely work on some recall. Get her out and make her come and treat he when she comes.

Dayze
12-03-2012, 12:38 PM
my lab goes apeshit when she sees a rabbit when I take her out to do her business. usually the rabbit is hiding in a bush right by my door so she bolts after it.
luckily, I can get her to snap out of it and come back.

Buehler445
12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
i like this...

my Akita used to run off and I would have to jump in the car and chase him. As soon as I would stop and open the door the dumb dog would jump in...

dumb dog..

I thought Akitas were supposed to be smart. My buddy has one and it is enormous and fucking scary, but I love it. Great breed.

Old Dog
12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
I thought Akitas were supposed to be smart. My buddy has one and it is enormous and fucking scary, but I love it. Great breed.

Sounds smart to me....."Damnit Dad, I'm gonna get me a ride in the car one way or the other".

Might have had to work to get it, but which got what they wanted, okoye35 or Akita?

Bump
12-03-2012, 12:44 PM
i like this...

dumb dog..

ya she's a black lab and loves car rides, I knew once I saw her that the open car door would certainly entice her to get the fuck in there.

notorious
12-03-2012, 12:44 PM
And she posting retarded threads under the name "memyselfandI".

gblowfish
12-03-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm glad you got her back and she wasn't hurt.

RealSNR
You probably need to go exercise her more.

Buehler445
Sounds smart to me....."Damnit Dad, I'm gonna get me a ride in the car one way or the other".

Might have had to work to get it, but which got what they wanted, okoye35 or Akita?

ROFL

Bump
12-03-2012, 12:47 PM
You probably need to go exercise her more.

I do, I live in a city with no dog parks and the best I can do is take her on a mile or so walk every day, which I do.

notorious
12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to insult your dog. That was uncalled for.

memyselfI
12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Microchip.

CoMoChief
12-03-2012, 12:53 PM
meter guy came one time to my place and didn't latch the gate all the way, wind blew it open and i let my dog out and of course he decided to go on a little adventure. He was gone for about 2 days....one morning...he shows up at the back door filthy as hell LOL...waggin his tail. He probably got some ass while he was out (he wasn't neutered).
We were lucky as hell to get him back though...woulda broke my heart if he was gone for good. Walked him everyday around the neighborhood and he marked just about every inch of every mailbox....pretty sure he found his way home that way.

CoMoChief
12-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Microchip.

would you be willing to wear a govt issued RFID chip under your skin?

didn't think so.

Brock
12-03-2012, 01:01 PM

didn't think so.

Dogs don't care who issued it.

memyselfI
12-03-2012, 01:04 PM

didn't think so.

You know, from my experience the dogs didn't care once they were reunited with their owners. Cats don't either. They are just happy to be back home.

It's super cheap and an effective way for your pet to be returned home assuming they are not hit by a car or found and kept by someone else first.

Saul Good
12-03-2012, 01:07 PM
You know, from my experience the dogs didn't care once they were reunited with their owners. Cats don't either. They are just happy to be back home.

It's super cheap and an effective way for your pet to be returned home assuming they are not hit by a car or found and kept by someone else first.

Do you understand how those chips work?

Sorter
12-03-2012, 01:09 PM

glad you found her

:clap::clap:

memyselfI
12-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Do you understand how those chips work?

Yes, we had scanners in our office. I understand they are more uniform than they were 5 years ago when I worked with them.

Radar Chief
12-03-2012, 01:14 PM
That's what I love about my Catahoula, she knows where her home is.
I was in a hurry leaving for work one day and didn’t get the gate latched. When I came home for lunch the gate was swinging in the breeze and my dog was sitting on the back porch, just staring at an open gate. Good dog.

Sorter
12-03-2012, 01:14 PM

Maybe it is because you're a shit human being and your pets don't love you?

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/dunno_shrug.gif

Ceej
12-03-2012, 01:17 PM
So I'm out raking the leaves on this nice day. I have a fenced in back yard so I thought it would be nice if my dog was out with me while I rake. I opened the gate for a split second to grab another leaf bag and BAM, she bolts out full sprint.

I run after her, yelling COME HERE. She turns the block and I lose my line of sight, I run up there and can't see her.

I run back to my house get in my car, drive around for 30 minutes or so and by some miracle, there she is about a mile away from my house and she was just about to run into a damn highway.

I jump out of the car, yelling COME HER SCARLETTE! and she runs up to me and into my car completely out of breath.

I haven't been that worried in a long long time.

I think I need to train her some discipline. Damn, what a way to start the day.

I would...

..the whole thing!

J Diddy
12-03-2012, 01:18 PM

glad you found her
ROFL

J Diddy
12-03-2012, 01:20 PM
I was in a hurry leaving for work one day and didn’t get the gate latched. When I came home for lunch the gate was swinging in the breeze and my dog was sitting on the back porch, just staring at an open gate. Good dog.

I don't know that I can think like a dog but I would be thinking that outside the gate I have to find food, water, and shelter. Inside the gate they are provided for me.

Radar Chief
12-03-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't know that I can think like a dog but I would be thinking that outside the gate I have to find food, water, and shelter. Inside the gate they are provided for me.

Probably helps that she’s a drop off dog. Someone dropped her and her brother off at the city dump, they got turned over to a local charity dog shelter and that’s where we adopted her.

Bump
12-03-2012, 01:32 PM
it makes ya think. If I wasn't in that exact location and that moment in time I may never have found her.

I saw some people walking dogs across the highway and thought she went in this general direction and if she sees those dogs she's gonna run up to them, so I stopped for about a minute to scout the area. Wow and there she was, running along the sidewalk.

She came right to me and into the car once she saw me. Wow, scary.

I have to make sure that never happens again.

J Diddy
12-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Probably helps that she’s a drop off dog. Someone dropped her and her brother off at the city dump, they got turned over to a local charity dog shelter and that’s where we adopted her.

Good man.

Sorter
12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
it makes ya think. If I wasn't in that exact location and that moment in time I may never have found her.

I saw some people walking dogs across the highway and thought she went in this general direction and if she sees those dogs she's gonna run up to them, so I stopped for about a minute to scout the area. Wow and there she was, running along the sidewalk.

Glad you found her.

Lucky my dogs are too much of wimps to truly run off. They make it about 2/3 houses down, then are like "Fuck this, there's no food here" and then come back. ROFL

J Diddy
12-03-2012, 01:38 PM

One minute too early or late you wouldn't have saw her. One step too quick or too slow you wouldn't have caught her. Gentleman, the inches we need are all around us.

kcfanXIII
12-03-2012, 02:20 PM
chief hasn't run of since he was a puppy. the girl i was seeing and myself decided that morning to break things off, she then had to call me at work to tell me my dog was missing... we split up to look for him, and after searching for a little while, i saw her car at a friend's house. that was the time i blew up. did a burnout in her friend's driveway until she came out, then told her to get her shit the fuck out of my house. fucking bitch lets my dog get away and can't help find him? anyways, the neighbors found him a few streets over and i think that was a traumatic enough experience he hasn't run away since.

LiveSteam
12-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Same thing happened to my goldfish.

LMAO

Saul Good
12-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes, we had scanners in our office. I understand they are more uniform than they were 5 years ago when I worked with them.

It's not like they stop your pets from running away or even track them. All they do is give information about the owner in the event that they are found and someone thinks to take them somewhere to be scanned.

DJ's left nut
12-03-2012, 03:09 PM

I have labradors, one of whom used to be a runner, but he's mellowed quite a bit.

About 5 years ago he and my other lab (the good one) broke out. Patton, being my turnkey labrador, went around to the front door and barked at it so we would let him in. He went out the gate, went to the front door and essentially rang the door bell.

The other one (Rommel), OTOH, took off. It took us hours to find him. A couple years after that, he bolted while I was at work (Patton, of course, stayed in the yard). I rode home on the bike and he came darting out of the woods as I pulled into the driveway. Both of them recognize the sound of the motorcycle so I figure Rommel just decided he was done for the day when he heard the bike.

Nowadays they're both pretty mellow and our puppy (MacArthur) wouldn't go anywhere without Rommel; those two are frick and frack. At Halloween, they'd both stretch their necks out as far as they could when people came to the door for a pat here and there, but they knew they weren't allowed on the stoop.

It sure is nice not having to play goalie anymore. That shit is exhausting.