PDA

View Full Version : Computers What do you use for personal email?

DaFace
12-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Purely curious. Poll says it all.

Jewish Rabbi
12-04-2012, 06:21 PM
IN B4 POLE

listopencil
12-04-2012, 06:23 PM
@chiefsplanet.mail

Rasputin
12-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Purely curious. Poll says it all.

Obligated NTTAWWT

Saulbadguy
12-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Curse anyone who uses their work email for personal business.

DaFace
I'm mostly curious to see how many people use an ISP-provided email address. I realized today that I don't know anyone my age that still uses one, but a lot of my extended family still does.

DaFace
Curse anyone who uses their work email for personal business.

Indeed. I'm sure many do, though.

okoye35chiefs
msn.com

Saulbadguy
12-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm mostly curious to see how many people use an ISP-provided email address. I realized today that I don't know anyone my age that still uses one, but a lot of my extended family still does.

I'm slowly moving away from my ISP provided address.

htismaqe
12-04-2012, 06:30 PM

Did that a few years ago solely because it makes changing providers a bitch...

Saulbadguy
12-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Did that a few years ago solely because it makes changing providers a bitch...

Yep, that's my thought as well.

DaFace
12-04-2012, 06:31 PM

That's almost unimaginable to me. I moved from an ISP account to a Yahoo account about a decade ago. After changing ISP's a couple times in college, it just wasn't worth dealing with switching every time anymore.

Over time, Yahoo's spam filtering and crappy UI caused me to move over to Gmail, and I'm not sure that'll ever change unless Google majorly screws something up.

dirk digler
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
I have used GMAIL for years.

listopencil
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
I should go check my old Hotmail account to see if that Nigerian prince needs more info.

htismaqe
12-04-2012, 06:34 PM
That's almost unimaginable to me. I moved from an ISP account to a Yahoo account about a decade ago. After changing ISP's a couple times in college, it just wasn't worth dealing with switching every time anymore.

Over time, Yahoo's spam filtering and crappy UI caused me to move over to Gmail, and I'm not sure that'll ever change unless Google majorly screws something up.

Wow, I much prefer the yahoo UI to Gmail. I am slowly moving away from using Google for anything, including searches. Not fond of format and layout changes - moving features I use all the time - so that they can bombard me with even more advertising.

Saulbadguy
12-04-2012, 06:38 PM

I've had the same ISP for 13 years.

I've had a yahoo account since 1997. It's unusable at this point due to the volume of spam it receives.

Mr. Laz
12-04-2012, 06:41 PM

this

i have a few ... some for dicey spam situations, some for registration and some for online purchases etc.

keeping them separate acts as sort a firewall for my personal information.

12-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I use Gmail for everything. Love the layout. Hated Yahoo because of the ridiculous amount of spam they have.

htismaqe
12-04-2012, 06:44 PM
this

i have a few ... some for dicey spam situations, some for registration and some for online purchases etc.

keeping them separate act a sort a firewall for my personal information.

Yep.

I have had the same Yahoo account for 12 years and don't get overwhelmed with spam. It's because I have other accounts that I use for questionable, risky, or temporary stuff. They're like spam honeypots.

BigMeatballDave
12-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Yahoo and Gmail

TrebMaxx
12-04-2012, 06:48 PM
ISP and gmail. Next time I change my ISP it will be gmail only.

seclark
12-04-2012, 06:53 PM
isp, mostly
sec

rockymtnchief
12-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Live, Yahoo, Hotmail, and a work acct.

Priest31kc
12-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Yahoo...Have had the same email addy for like 11 years now.

A Salt Weapon
12-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Voted for work and yahoo, then I saw it said personal, and therefore you can disregard 1 work e-mail vote.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
12-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Hotmail...

KurtCobain
12-04-2012, 07:11 PM
I used to use yahoo for years after switching from aol, then last year I got an android and signed up for a gmail account and now I've completely switched all use to that account.

GloryDayz
12-04-2012, 07:13 PM

I think with the advances in Gmail and Yahoo, and the mobile device explosion, those Gmail and Yahoo options make more sense than ever. Plus, service provider hopping is becoming more common, so that plays into it too.. I use both Gmail and Yahoo, and I even have my legacy ISP email that I still check at home...

loochy
12-04-2012, 07:33 PM
I still use the same email address from AOL that I used back in the mid 90s. Needless to say, I no longer subscribe to AOL. The address is just an address and I see no need to change. It works fine with Outlook and K9 so it's fine for me.

GloryDayz
12-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I still use the same email address from AOL that I used back in the mid 90s. Needless to say, I no longer subscribe to AOL. The address is just an address and I see no need to change. It works fine with Outlook and K9 so it's fine for me.

That's awesome! Do you still use the "You've Got Mail" notification?

loochy
12-04-2012, 07:47 PM
No, I've used outlook for the last 10 years.

listopencil
12-04-2012, 08:02 PM
I've had the same ISP for 13 years.

I've had a yahoo account since 1997. It's unusable at this point due to the volume of spam it receives.

I have a Hotmail address that I have had since the Spring of '97. It's like a spam shitstorm in there.

HonestChieffan
12-04-2012, 08:04 PM
gmail because of security

Ace Gunner
12-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Ya, I do not. Have not in more than a decade. Like others, I have been using gmail/yahoo over the years for personal mail.

lcarus
12-04-2012, 08:09 PM
@chiefsplanet.mail

That's so weird, because my email is chiefsfan83@broncosfanforum.com

lcarus
12-04-2012, 08:10 PM
I really use gmail. It's great

pr_capone
12-04-2012, 08:12 PM
gmail for forums and registering for public stuff. my isp for my personal correspondence.

Mr. Laz
12-04-2012, 08:34 PM
No, I've used outlook for the last 10 years.

:spock:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/67064/2107675-not_sure_if_serious_2_super.jpg

SAUTO
12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
I have an ISP e mail. I've only received a couple e mails ever, and I have actually never sent one. Not once
Posted via Mobile Device

J Diddy
12-04-2012, 08:49 PM
I have a Hotmail address that I have had since the Spring of '97. It's like a spam shitstorm in there.

Same deal here. I finally abandoned it because trying to route it to the spam folder was like trying to stop the titanic from sinking by plugging the hole with my finger.

Hootie
12-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I've used gmail since it was invite only...before that, AOL

Bugeater
12-04-2012, 09:16 PM
I still use my old AOL account most of the time. I also have a couple junk gmail accounts that I use for craigslist and when I need to mult up after getting banned at other forums.

listopencil
12-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Same deal here. I finally abandoned it because trying to route it to the spam folder was like trying to stop the titanic from sinking by plugging the hole with my finger.

Yup. I use it to sign up for things now. It's probably my e-mail address here.

listopencil
12-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Yup. I use it to sign up for things now. It's probably my e-mail address here.

Hah. It is.

keg in kc
12-04-2012, 09:23 PM
I use gmail for personal and family email, hotmail for online purchase and game account emails and outlook for work.

L.A. Chieffan
12-04-2012, 09:28 PM
OG AOL

SomeRandomGirl
12-04-2012, 09:38 PM
I use hotmail for almost everything, but I refuse to put my hotmail account on any sort of application/resume or important thing. For that I use gmail. For some reason I just feel like hotmail is not a "serious" email. Anyone else feel that way?

ChiefsCountry
12-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Have used hotmail since the late 90s as my personal one. Got lucky and have my actual name as it. I use it for my main personal email. I got several gmail accounts I use for registrations and other crap.

DaFace
12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
I use hotmail for almost everything, but I refuse to put my hotmail account on any sort of application/resume or important thing. For that I use gmail. For some reason I just feel like hotmail is not a "serious" email. Anyone else feel that way?

I have no idea why, but yes. I definitely feel like Gmail is a more respectable provider.

loochy
12-04-2012, 09:53 PM
:spock:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/67064/2107675-not_sure_if_serious_2_super.jpg

Why aren't you sure if I'm serious? I don't have the AOL service and I don't use the web interface. I've just kept that same address. Nowdays I do most of my email through my phone with K9. I've used Outlook on my PC since 2002 when I got it for free from school.

ghak99
12-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Started with hotmail as my personal account in the 90s & never had a reason to quit using it.... It being my name has been a huge benefit.

I assume I still have a gmail/yahoo account, but can't remember the last time I used it. I also have a pair of business emails, but run them remotely through my hotmail account 90% of the time.

Hootie
12-04-2012, 10:29 PM

not sure, how would you feel about going on a date to talk this over?

WV
12-04-2012, 10:38 PM
I like my ISP account, but my others are the same except for the extension so it's kind of a wash. If I have to change ISP's though I'll go all in with Gmail. I like it better than Yahoo and never liked Hotmail.

Hootie
12-04-2012, 10:39 PM
if I wanted to use Microsoft I'd use live.com rather than hotmail.com anyways.

KcMizzou
12-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Gmail. For both personal, and work. Separate accounts.

luv
12-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Way back in the day, I had hotmail. That's purely a spam account now. I used yahoo for forever, but it's becoming a mix of actual mail I care about and spam stuff. Currently using gmail.

WV
12-04-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm finding having to spell my non name related email more and more frustrating though. It's too much of a pain to create a completely new one.

Hootie
12-04-2012, 10:47 PM
yeah I wish I would have ahead of the curve when I was 19 and went with first.lastname@gmail.com instead of mynickname+favoritenumber+birthyear@gmail.com but at this point it would be too much of a hassle to change my email

DaFace
12-04-2012, 10:50 PM
yeah I wish I would have ahead of the curve when I was 19 and went with first.lastname@gmail.com instead of mynickname+favoritenumber+birthyear@gmail.com but at this point it would be too much of a hassle to change my email

It's definitely nice. I signed up back in the old invite only days and instantly opened accounts with like 5 different names I might like to use just to make sure I had the option. :)

I think I've turned loose of hem all now, but who knows.

AussieChiefsFan
12-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Hotmail

Hootie
12-04-2012, 10:58 PM
It's definitely nice. I signed up back in the old invite only days and instantly opened accounts with like 5 different names I might like to use just to make sure I had the option. :)

I think I've turned loose of hem all now, but who knows.

I wish I had that sort of foresight, sadly when I was 19 all of my usernames were Hootie2485 no matter where I went or where I signed up...so I'm stuck with it on GMAIL. It hasn't really hindered me much, but it is kind of embarrassing on my resume.

DaFace
12-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I wish I had that sort of foresight, sadly when I was 19 all of my usernames were Hootie2485 no matter where I went or where I signed up...so I'm stuck with it on GMAIL. It hasn't really hindered me much, but it is kind of embarrassing on my resume.

Can you just not find anything close to your real name you could use? If you're actually using that on your resume...stop. I'd almost instantly pass on a resume with a name like that on it.

ghak99
12-04-2012, 11:03 PM

Damn man, it's not that hard to come up with something more professional. I know dozens of people who have been declined follow up interviews for something as small as a ****ed up email address.

Hootie
12-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Can you just not find anything close to your real name you could use? If you're actually using that on your resume...stop. I'd almost instantly pass on a resume with a name like that on it.

well I landed the job I really, really wanted two months ago...so hopefully I'll never have to bust out my resume again...and now I have a corporate email as well

but yeah, perhaps if I ever have another go around I'll register a new email to handle all job inquiries...never really even thought about it

I was pretty new to the whole resume game this time around, really stumbled into a good career so hopefully I don't **** it up

Fish
12-04-2012, 11:15 PM
I've been with gmail since beta. Which is how I have multiple 6 digit accounts, including my own...

WV
12-04-2012, 11:15 PM
If I had to post a resume today I would definately creat a new email strictly for that. It shouldn't matter, but it does like people have mentioned.

Hootie
12-04-2012, 11:19 PM
If I had to post a resume today I would definately creat a new email strictly for that. It shouldn't matter, but it does like people have mentioned.

I'm not a Hootie & the Blowfish fan...it's basically my last name. I think people get confused, but perhaps since my name is on my resume my email makes a little more sense in case they wondered.

WV
12-04-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm not a Hootie & the Blowfish fan...it's basically my last name. I think people get confused, but perhaps since my name is on my resume my email makes a little more sense in case they wondered.

If it resembles your last name then I think you are fine and why you haven't had any issues thus far. Mine has nothing to do with my name, so I would change mine.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 07:26 AM

I setup an account a long time ago to distribute VPN clients to users that weren't on the corporate email platform of my previous employer.

Since I'm a network engineer, and that email address pretty obviously is for distribution of VPNs, I use it on my resume. I've also spent considerable time doing Internet forensics and abuse - I never use my real name for stuff like that.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 07:29 AM

No, that's silly.

Neither is more professional, or unprofessional, than the other.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 07:29 AM
I have no idea why, but yes. I definitely feel like Gmail is a more respectable provider.

Silly.

Saulbadguy
12-05-2012, 07:30 AM
I love it when dorks put their own personal domain e-mail address on their resume.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 07:32 AM
if I wanted to use Microsoft I'd use live.com rather than hotmail.com anyways.

They're the same. The domain suffix is all that is different. Hotmail IS Live.com. It's all been migrated to the same platform.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 07:32 AM
I love it when dorks put their own personal domain e-mail address on their resume.

I know I wouldn't hire saul@badguy.com. :D

NewChief
12-05-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm shocked by te number of students who still use emails like "babygrrrl420@yahoo.com" as their official contact email. Of course, I'm also shocked at the number of teens who don't really use/check their email with any regularity.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Fuck. No wonder I'm not getting any responses. I guess Mr.Flopnuts@gmail.com doesn't seem professional enough.

ZepSinger
12-05-2012, 07:55 AM
custom domain email thru godaddy

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm shocked by te number of students who still use emails like "babygrrrl420@yahoo.com" as their official contact email. Of course, I'm also shocked at the number of teens who don't really use/check their email with any regularity.

Email is SO 20th century dude. It's SOOOOOO SLLLLOOWWWWW.

Are you on Facebook and Twitter? :D

NewChief
12-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Email is SO 20th century dude. It's SOOOOOO SLLLLOOWWWWW.

Are you on Facebook and Twitter? :D

The difference between email and social networks is the difference between PCs and tablets when it comes to productivity.

I keep trying to tell my students (mind you, these are kids taking a college level class in high school) that they MUST check their email daily. I can't tell you how many times they send me something in email, I reply to them that I received it, then I see them two days later and they say, "Hey, did you get that assignment I sent you?"

Uhhh, yes. I sent you an email immediately. That means you haven't checked your email in 2 days since you sent the assignment. Awesome.

Meanwhile, they know every single time some dipshit comments on their instagram or Bob tweets what he ate for breakfast.

durtyrute
12-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Google is taking over your lives.

suds79
12-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Google is taking over your lives.

Yes it is. :D

Join us.
http://blogs.nature.com/a_mad_hemorrhage/2011/07/04/agents-smith.jpg

Buehler445
12-05-2012, 08:31 AM
well I landed the job I really, really wanted two months ago...so hopefully I'll never have to bust out my resume again...and now I have a corporate email as well

but yeah, perhaps if I ever have another go around I'll register a new email to handle all job inquiries...never really even thought about it

I was pretty new to the whole resume game this time around, really stumbled into a good career so hopefully I don't **** it up

Get a new one on the first day of your job search. I made a new one specifically for job searching. I migrated everything to it when I went out on my own, but yeah. Get a professional email.

DaFace
12-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Silly.

Silly? Sure. But I seriously doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. I'm not saying I'd dump a resume because of it or anything, but I definitely feel like Gmail is more "up to date" for whatever reason. It's kind of like AOL, but not as bad.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 08:47 AM
The difference between email and social networks is the difference between PCs and tablets when it comes to productivity.

I keep trying to tell my students (mind you, these are kids taking a college level class in high school) that they MUST check their email daily. I can't tell you how many times they send me something in email, I reply to them that I received it, then I see them two days later and they say, "Hey, did you get that assignment I sent you?"

Uhhh, yes. I sent you an email immediately. That means you haven't checked your email in 2 days since you sent the assignment. Awesome.

Meanwhile, they know every single time some dipshit comments on their instagram or Bob tweets what he ate for breakfast.

ROFL

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Silly? Sure. But I seriously doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. I'm not saying I'd dump a resume because of it or anything, but I definitely feel like Gmail is more "up to date" for whatever reason. It's kind of like AOL, but not as bad.

Gmail was "more up to date" - in 2008. :D

Gmail used to be the "rebel" email - only real geeks use Gmail. Grandma uses Hotmail.

As you can see by the results of this poll, that's no longer the case. EVERYBODY uses Gmail, including Grandma. And Google loves it because now they can use your email to figure out which ads to shower upon you.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-05-2012, 08:52 AM
djf@thisismyemail.com.org.gov.edu.net

I like to cover my bases.

suds79
12-05-2012, 08:52 AM

It's not silly.

There's something just embarrasing about using Hotmail or AOL to me. I stumbled across this snip-it from Paul Rudd in an interview when asked about why it seems so many celebs (not that I care but that was the question posed) use AOL?

“I like AOL because it’s so embarrassing,” Rudd explains. “People look at you as if you’re a fossil. Which you are. But I enjoy that embarrassment. I like being on the outside. Having an AOL address is like wearing Ocean Pacific shorts. It’s so uncool that it’s cool.”

It'd be like still using Netscape as your browser if it still existed.

Imon Yourside
12-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Still using http://www.2cansandastring.com/

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWxeteXbYGpM4KwHS0-IdNhGLbTn_pXVtPRwWJCSb0O-RXcCTBg9QKPlVh

loochy
12-05-2012, 09:02 AM
It's not silly.

There's something just embarrasing about using Hotmail or AOL to me. I stumbled across this snip-it from Paul Rudd in an interview when asked about why it seems so many celebs (not that I care but that was the question posed) use AOL?

“I like AOL because it’s so embarrassing,” Rudd explains. “People look at you as if you’re a fossil. Which you are. But I enjoy that embarrassment. I like being on the outside. Having an AOL address is like wearing Ocean Pacific shorts. It’s so uncool that it’s cool.”

My personal email is still AOL, but I do have a gmail address for official things like resumes and I use my ATT ISP address as a spam sink.

58-4ever
12-05-2012, 09:08 AM
If anyone is looking for something new, outlook.com is the shizzle.

loochy
12-05-2012, 09:10 AM
If anyone is looking for something new, outlook.com is the shizzle.

there's an outlook.com? rofl

edit: oh, there actually IS. do you like it?

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 09:20 AM
It's not silly.

AOL is much, much different than Hotmail.

AOL <> Hotmail

Hootie
12-05-2012, 09:22 AM
11/12/04 is the first email I received on the GMAIL account I use...it was for a cashout on Party Poker. Who's got an earlier GMAIL email?

durtyrute
12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Why do you have to add "@gmail.com or @yahoo.com when you log into your email account. I'M LOGGING INTO GMAIL, WHY WOULD I PUT ANYTHING ELSE?

loochy
12-05-2012, 09:30 AM
durtyrute@ilikebigbutts.com

durtyrute
12-05-2012, 09:32 AM
durtyrute@ilikebigbutts.com

Rep. I clicked it, but really I'm a tit man.

Shag
12-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Why do you have to add "@gmail.com or @yahoo.com when you log into your email account. I'M LOGGING INTO GMAIL, WHY WOULD I PUT ANYTHING ELSE?

You don't. At least, not for gmail...

durtyrute
12-05-2012, 09:37 AM

Well holy fucking cupcakes. All this time I've been typing that extra bullshit and cussing Google the whole time.

Wow. I fail

Rep to you for showing Durt the light.

DaFace
12-05-2012, 09:43 AM
11/12/04 is the first email I received on the GMAIL account I use...it was for a cashout on Party Poker. Who's got an earlier GMAIL email?

9/4/04

ChiTown
12-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Typewriter, envelope and stamp

Saulbadguy
12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
I have a sent item from 8/31/2004 in my gmail account. edit: and a reply to it on the same day.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Typewriter, envelope and stamp

Hand written letter composed with a crows feather dipped in ink, sent by carrier pigeon because I hate big e-mail.

DaFace
12-05-2012, 09:49 AM
I have a sent item from 8/31/2004 in my gmail account. edit: and a reply to it on the same day.

Damn. Beat me by four days.

I actually didn't start using mine full-time until much later though - I just reserved the address. I think I finally made the switch from Yahoo around 2007.

Saulbadguy
12-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Damn. Beat me by four days.

I actually didn't start using mine full-time until much later though - I just reserved the address. I think I finally made the switch from Yahoo around 2007.

Someone (who shares my name) gave it out as their own address. My e-mail address is firstnamelastname@gmail.com - his (i'm assuming) is firstname.lastname@gmail.com

I get some strange emails every now and then.

DaFace
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Someone (who shares my name) gave it out as their own address. My e-mail address is firstnamelastname@gmail.com - his (i'm assuming) is firstname.lastname@gmail.com

I get some strange emails every now and then.

Actually, that shouldn't be the case - Gmail ignores dots in account names, so you could use either of those interchangeably.

Related protip - you can add a plus to the end of your account address and it'll ignore anything after that (before the @). For example, you can do things like firstnamelastname+spam@gmail.com as your registration for suspect sites and filter those into a special folder to keep them separate.

Saulbadguy
12-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Actually, that shouldn't be the case - Gmail ignores dots in account names, so you could use either of those interchangeably.

Related protip - you can add a plus to the end of your account address and it'll ignore anything after that (before the @). For example, you can do things like firstnamelastname+spam@gmail.com as your registration for suspect sites and filter those into a special folder to keep them separate.

Well hell, who knows then.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 10:05 AM

Neither one of them requires it FWIW.

DaFace
12-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Neither one of them requires it FWIW.

Yep. The only reason they say "email" rather than "account name" is that it's technically possible to use any email you want for a Google (or Yahoo) account for their other services.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Yep. The only reason they say "email" rather than "account name" is that it's technically possible to use any email you want for a Google (or Yahoo) account for their other services.

Correct. Same is true for Microsoft Live. My Live account actually uses my Yahoo email address...

bevischief
12-05-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't trust Google to not share my info with anyone who pays for it.

Inspector
12-05-2012, 11:44 AM
I was going to try and use email one time but when I went to the post office and asked for estamps, they looked at me like I was crazy or something. So I just had to use the regular stamps and regular mail. Damn kids and their fancy email stuff.......

ArrowheadHawk
12-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Why aren't you sure if I'm serious? I don't have the AOL service and I don't use the web interface. I've just kept that same address. Nowdays I do most of my email through my phone with K9. I've used Outlook on my PC since 2002 when I got it for free from school.

Outlook is not an email provider it is an email client.

KurtCobain
12-05-2012, 12:41 PM

But he's saying he uses outlook to access his AOL account.

DaFace
12-05-2012, 02:13 PM

False. They didn't used to be, but you can sign up for an outlook.com email if you want one. They launched it just recently.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 02:16 PM
False. They didn't used to be, but you can sign up for an outlook.com email if you want one. They launched it just recently.

Correct.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Correct.
He said he's been using Outlook for 10 years.

recently is not 10 years

which is why i wondered if he was serious

DaFace
12-05-2012, 02:41 PM

recently is not 10 years

Well, right. He's referring to using the Outlook desktop application - not the web site. My correction was just for ArrowheadHawk.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Well, right. He's referring to using the Outlook desktop application - not the web site. My correction was just for ArrowheadHawk.
got it ... but I believe ArrowheadHawk was also talking about the Outlook for 10 years aspect.

whatever ... doesn't matter.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 02:45 PM

recently is not 10 years

Outlook is just a POP/IMAP client. You can use it with just about any email service. Of course, it's optimized for use with Exchange but it will work with AOL or anything else.

loochy
12-05-2012, 02:47 PM
But he's saying he uses outlook to access his AOL account.

This.

People keep thinking that since I have an AOL email address I use the AOL desktop program that brings up the YOU'VE GOT MAIL thing. I was just saying that I use outlook to access my AOL email and with Outlook it looks and behaves just like any other email would, so I have no reason to change. The same goes for my phone, except I use K9 instead of Outlook.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
This.

People keep thinking that since I have an AOL email address I use the AOL desktop program that brings up the YOU'VE GOT MAIL thing. I was just saying that I use outlook to access my AOL email and with Outlook it looks and behaves just like any other email would, so I have no reason to change. The same goes for my phone, except I use K9 instead of Outlook.

You can make Outlook play "You've got mail" when a new message arrives...

loochy
12-05-2012, 02:51 PM

I'd rather not.

I'm fine with the standard "Beedoop"

DaFace
12-05-2012, 02:51 PM

I prefer this one.

http://www.mytinyphone.com/ringtone/680209/

(Kind of NSFW I guess.)

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 02:54 PM
This is the one I've always used:

http://www.hark.com/clips/hrgmjckhpd-email-intro-25