PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Oakland Raiders' future takes a hit with 15-0 victory

Hammock Parties
12-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Oh yeah, this feels good.

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_22205671/poole-oakland-raiders-future-takes-hit-15-0

OAKLAND -- They dominated a former rival, snapped a six-game losing streak and earned the bonus points that come with posting a shutout.
Upon close observation of the scoreboard, the Raiders on Sunday looked fabulous.

They don't look nearly as good, though, once you back away from their 15-0 win over Kansas City and see how it puts a pimple on the face of their next draft pick.

That's good reason for Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie to have mixed emotions, even if coach Dennis Allen undoubtedly needed this win to at least temporarily calm his nerves.

As much as the Raiders players wanted a win as a reward for all their months of effort, the future of the franchise was threatened in the process.
And in Oakland, in December, the future counts more than anything else. Hope for the playoffs died weeks ago, and the front office is spending the final month of the season analyzing what it has on this roster and making a list of what it must add for 2013 and beyond.

That explains quarterback Terrelle Pryor's three-play cameo appearance in the second quarter, as well as the game-day deactivation of linebacker Rolando McClain, who is coming off a two-game suspension and will not, and should not, return next season.

"The plan," Allen said of Pryor's actual NFL debut, "was to get him in the first series of the second quarter and then kind of let the game play out from there."

Pryor's future might be one of Allen's thoughts, but it's one of McKenzie's priorities. He said during a recent interview that Pryor has to play, if only to be fairly evaluated.

Therein lies the difference between Allen's primary goal and that of McKenzie. One is paid to win now, the other to win indefinitely. One focuses on the close-up, the other has to back away and take a broader view.

McKenzie and his associates also are focused on the upcoming free agent market and the next draft, and this victory could make it considerably less attractive.

Oakland entered the game with the third-worst record in the NFL, behind only Kansas City and Jacksonville, firmly in possession of the No. 3 overall pick. By walking away in triumph, the Raiders joined a gaggle of teams that will hold the rights to pick as low as 11th in the first round.

For a Raiders team with so many needs, that would represent significant drop.

By lifting its record to 4-10, Oakland moves into a tie with the likes of Detroit and Philadelphia and possibly Tennessee, which plays Monday night.

Moreover, being 4-10 brings the Raiders within one game of five 5-9 teams: Arizona, Buffalo, Cleveland, Carolina and San Diego.

In the short view, Oakland is that much closer to 6-10 -- instead of 3-13.

For Allen, that's the only way to view it. He's coaching as if the actual games have meaning because, for him, they do. Though he is not in danger of losing his job -- assuming criminal behavior is not a factor, Reggie has to give the first coach he hires more than one season -- there are vanity points to be had. Records are still being kept.

Asked if it was time for assessments, Allen said it was not.

"We've got two more games left this year, so we're trying to win football games this year," he said. "Obviously, we've already said we want to try to take a look at some of the younger players, which we were able to do a little bit. We'll continue to do that as we go forward throughout the rest of the season.

"But we're trying to win football games."

The players, well aware they are in the midst of auditions, also realize this.
"Getting that goose egg on the board is the best feeling in the world," defensive end Lamarr Houston said.

If you're trying to build a team, however, the shutout is history. McKenzie watched his Raiders, who will go home in two weeks, silence a Chiefs team that also will go home Dec. 31 -- but likely will own the rights to the first overall pick in the 2013 draft.

McKenzie, who leaves the postgame locker room to the coaches and players, was not available late Sunday afternoon. He knows what lies ahead.

Next up are the Panthers, one of the competitors for the third overall pick, followed by the Chargers, who also have their eyes on the 2013 draft.

And to think, it was all so simple for the Raiders on Sunday morning. Lose out and draft no lower than third. The process has been ... um ... complicated.

The result is mixed emotions in the front office, and among a portion of the wounded fan base. For even when these Raiders win, they also lose.

Ugly Duck
12-17-2012, 05:26 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2os61J9jB1qdn352.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw4kl0WUgk1qayejgo1_250.gif

AussieChiefsFan
12-17-2012, 05:27 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv10qm2xtH1qjk2coo1_400.gif

Hammock Parties
12-17-2012, 05:30 AM

No Geno for you.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/3384830_o.gif

AussieChiefsFan
12-17-2012, 05:32 AM
SO many butthurt faider fans. This is great.

mdchiefsfan
12-17-2012, 05:59 AM
No Geno for you.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs1/3384830_o.gif

LMAO

the Talking Can
12-17-2012, 06:01 AM
http://chunk.ie/media/2012/11/simpsons-nelson-ha-ha-93-p-672x480.jpg

-King-
12-17-2012, 06:33 AM
We outsucked the shit outta you.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaKCMan AP
12-17-2012, 08:13 AM
I LOLed when they put Pryor in the game.

That dude was garbage at QB in college, no way he's going to do well in the NFL. Good runner, but he can't throw.

Hog's Gone Fishin
12-17-2012, 08:18 AM
We're in such a great position to trade down now. I'll bet Buffalo will cough up a shit load.

Rasputin
12-17-2012, 08:32 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2os61J9jB1qdn352.gif

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kxopViU98Xo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mr. tegu
12-17-2012, 08:36 AM
I was going to make a new thread but this is a good place... WE BEAT THE RAIDERS YESTERDAY!

I can't believe some people on the radio this morning are complaining about the game. Talking about Charles only getting 9 carries, the lack of effort, etc. These are great things.

The players don't typically look to future players for help, but I think this is a unique circumtance. They know that the only chance they have at getting a new QB is to be drafting in a position where one has to be taken. They have seen what guys like Luck, RG3, Wilson, and even Tannehill are doing and they know they need one of their own. They came through for us yesterday and for once the team was committed to not winning a meaningless game or two at the end of the season.

ChiefMojo
12-17-2012, 09:58 AM
The glory of sucking so badly you get get rewarded is great!!!!

Deberg_1990
12-17-2012, 10:12 AM
R8ers wife??

The Franchise
12-17-2012, 10:14 AM
For the love of God.....someone draft Te'o before the Raiders get a chance.

Bacillus Anthracis
12-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Only this coaching staff could manage to f**k up something this easy.

I (as a Raider fan) had a brief glimmer of hope when Terrelle Pryor entered the game. That was easily our best bet to lose (thereby winning) the game. But instead that little weasel Dennis Allen pulled him after one series; and Carson Palmer, knowing that he's coming back next year for some $14 million reasons went ahead and played as well as he could.

I don't want to say the Raider D played well because they didn't. That matchup, our D vs. your O was like watching two armless guys fight; horrible and hilarious at the same time.

At least Cleveland Brown did his part for you guys, only down 12 in the 3rd quarter he goes for it on 4th and goal instead of kicking the field goal. It's strange to say that the coach who made the poorer decisions did a better job.

But the article in the OP is too pessimistic. Carolina will kick our ass and unless Norv is retiring forever, he'll use the opportunity to put as many points on us as possible. It'll look good on his resume'. We'll finish out 4-12 and end up in the top five somewhere. I can't even contemplate 5-11. That'd be too much to take.

htismaqe
12-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Only this coaching staff could manage to f**k up something this easy.

I (as a Raider fan) had a brief glimmer of hope when Terrelle Pryor entered the game. That was easily our best bet to lose (thereby winning) the game. But instead that little weasel Dennis Allen pulled him after one series; and Carson Palmer, knowing that he's coming back next year for some $14 million reasons went ahead and played as well as he could.

I don't want to say the Raider D played well because they didn't. That matchup, our D vs. your O was like watching two armless guys fight; horrible and hilarious at the same time.

At least Cleveland Brown did his part for you guys, only down 12 in the 3rd quarter he goes for it on 4th and goal instead of kicking the field goal. It's strange to say that the coach who made the poorer decisions did a better job.

But the article in the OP is too pessimistic. Carolina will kick our ass and unless Norv is retiring forever, he'll use the opportunity to put as many points on us as possible. It'll look good on his resume'. We'll finish out 4-12 and end up in the top five somewhere. I can't even contemplate 5-11. That'd be too much to take.

Sandy Eggo is terrible. You'll probably beat them.

whoman69
12-17-2012, 10:53 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kxopViU98Xo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Somebody really put together a 10 hour video that puts together three lines from a song in a loop?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2012, 10:59 AM
In losing seasons, these ar the moments I live for.

lostcause
12-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Suck it, Oakland!

Mama Hip Rockets
12-17-2012, 11:28 AM
How is scoring 15 points "dominating"?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2012, 11:39 AM

When the other total of points is "zero"?

Ugly Duck
12-17-2012, 12:16 PM

Sadder still... Chiefs were actively trying to lose & thats all Oakland could manage while being helped by the other team...

Chief Faithful
12-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Raiders won, suckers!

FlaChief58
12-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Enjoy your win....errr, loss. See you next year gayder scum 4321

TEX
12-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Wow - has it REALLY come to this?

FlaChief58
12-17-2012, 12:53 PM

Nothing has changed for me. I know we suck but, fuck the gayders.

Bump
12-17-2012, 12:53 PM

yup, it has.

bevischief
12-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Yes.

GoChargers
12-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Man, it's gonna be awesome when the Chargers move up past da Raiduhz in the draft order too.

FlaChief58
12-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Man, it's gonna be awesome when the Chargers move up past da Raiduhz in the draft order too.

Except the dolts will win the last 2 games convincing ownership to resign both Smith & Norf to 10 year extensions.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Reighters wants that 6-10 soooo bad

Bacillus Anthracis
12-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Raiders won, suckers!

And that's the thing. Usually, sweeping a division rival is something to brag about and gives you good smack material until next season comes around. But not this year. First, the Chiefs are only little less crappy than the Raiders. It's retarded to say "We suck less than you do." There's no bragging rights for this season.

Second, the loser is actually the winner. If the horrible event of us beating the Chargers comes to pass every glossy eyed Raider fan is going to be bragging about how great of a coach Dennis Allen is because he won two out of three to finish the season. And it'll be just enough to ensure he keeps his job. If we finish 4-12 Reggie McKenzie can still justifiably fire him. But at 5-11, it'll be tougher. 3-13 would have sealed it.

Finally, it's so bad that I have to root for the Chiefs to win out and the Raiders to lose out. I don't think in the history of my f'ing life has that ever happened. And the Jags sure as hell aren't going to help anyone out but themselves. They've got losing down to a science.

GoChargers
12-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Except the dolts will win the last 2 games convincing ownership to resign both Smith & Norf to 10 year extensions.

Ten years? Spanos is WAY too cheap to pay them for that long... maybe 3 years tops. :) :huh:

FlaChief58
12-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Ten years? Spanos is WAY too cheap to pay them for that long... maybe 3 years tops. :) :huh:

Norf will sign for a case of clearasil leaving plenty of cash for them to go all in on Smith

Ebolapox
12-17-2012, 02:01 PM
For the love of God.....someone draft Te'o before the Raiders get a chance.

Rolondo mcclain. they'll fuck it up somehow, and we'll be able to trade for Te'o after a few years for a sixth rounder :)

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2012, 02:42 PM
And that's the thing. Usually, sweeping a division rival is something to brag about and gives you good smack material until next season comes around. But not this year. First, the Chiefs are only little less crappy than the Raiders. It's retarded to say "We suck less than you do." There's no bragging rights for this season.

Second, the loser is actually the winner. If the horrible event of us beating the Chargers comes to pass every glossy eyed Raider fan is going to be bragging about how great of a coach Dennis Allen is because he won two out of three to finish the season. And it'll be just enough to ensure he keeps his job. If we finish 4-12 Reggie McKenzie can still justifiably fire him. But at 5-11, it'll be tougher. 3-13 would have sealed it.

Finally, it's so bad that I have to root for the Chiefs to win out and the Raiders to lose out. I don't think in the history of my f'ing life has that ever happened. And the Jags sure as hell aren't going to help anyone out but themselves. They've got losing down to a science.

http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.moviefone.com/media/2010/10/starcrash3.jpg

Ugly Duck
12-17-2012, 03:25 PM
West Virginia Quarterback Geno Smith Unable to Comment on Chiefs/Raiders Game

Reported by: Associated Press
Reported: Monday, December 17, 2012 1:43 PM EST
CHARLESTON, W.Va.

West Virginia Quarterback Geno Smith watched the NFL contest between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Oakland Raiders on Sunday with great interest. Most experts agree that the Chiefs, in dire need of a quarterback, would choose the young player number one overall if they get the first pick of the 2013 NFL draft. It has been reported that as Geno watched the broadcast of yesterday's contest, played at the O.co Coliseum in Oakland, he appeared to become "visibly shaken." After the game, a 15-0 shutout of Kansas City, he was asked about the prospect of becoming a Chief. The young quarterback tried to compose himself, but was unable to answer the question and quietly left the room.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/xvl2qwmwhk4/0.jpg

FlaChief58
12-17-2012, 03:28 PM
He'll be fine once he starts cashing his game checks

htismaqe
12-17-2012, 03:36 PM
West Virginia Quarterback Geno Smith Unable to Comment on Chiefs/Raiders Game

http://desertpeace.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/grasping-at-straws1.jpg

Ugly Duck
12-17-2012, 03:49 PM
He'll be fine once he starts cashing his game checks

I dunno, dude.... looks like he's pretty upset about it....

Chronic
12-17-2012, 04:37 PM
History has shown the Chiefs really suck at drafting- might possibly be the worst team in the war room- 5 #1 picks on the D front and they still get run on like sh*t through a goose-.

I feel sorry for any QB that gets drafted by us- He'll be in a wheel chair before he's 27- Last year we supposedly had the best free agency of any team- top 3 defense here we come! lol... er uh no.. what a complete faceplant in the Free Agency dept- And lets be real here for a sec- Eric Berry sucks- honeymoons over for that dude-

Theres so many and I mean many problems on this team that 1 draft aint gonna fix it- especially considering our draft history- We just cant get it right

The new CBA cap on years is 4 years- it'll take 5 to build this team back up, by the time we get almost there players contracts will be up and we'll be at same position 4 years prior- it's a never ending cycle for this joke of a franchise- Whens baseball start?

htismaqe
12-17-2012, 04:44 PM
History has shown the Chiefs really suck at drafting- might possibly be the worst team in the war room- 5 #1 picks on the D front and they still get run on like sh*t through a goose-.

I feel sorry for any QB that gets drafted by us- He'll be in a wheel chair before he's 27- Last year we supposedly had the best free agency of any team- top 3 defense here we come! lol... er uh no.. what a complete faceplant in the Free Agency dept- And lets be real here for a sec- Eric Berry sucks- honeymoons over for that dude-

Theres so many and I mean many problems on this team that 1 draft aint gonna fix it- especially considering our draft history- We just cant get it right

The new CBA cap on years is 4 years- it'll take 5 to build this team back up, by the time we get almost there players contracts will be up and we'll be at same position 4 years prior- it's a never ending cycle for this joke of a franchise- Whens baseball start?

ROFL

Ugly Duck
12-18-2012, 04:48 AM
By walking away in triumph, the Raiders joined a gaggle of teams that will hold the rights to pick as low as 11th in the first round.

Wrong.... all we have to do is lose out & we have the #3 pick. Draft order as of Week 15 per ESPN:

1. Kansas City Chiefs (2-12)

2. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-12)

3. Oakland Raiders (4-10)

4. Philadelphia Eagles (4-10)

5. Detroit Lions (4-10)

6. Arizona Cardinals (5-9)

7. Cleveland Browns (5-9)

8. Tennessee Titans (4-9)

9. San Diego Chargers (5-8)

10. Buffalo Bills (5-9)

Chronic
12-18-2012, 05:47 AM
I was unaware that we have the highest payroll in the NFL?

This is frekin awesome! highest payroll and the worst team in the NFL

Really cool stuff..

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/kansas-city-chiefs/salary/67049?q=kansas-city-chiefs

Over-Head
12-18-2012, 06:38 AM

Ya don't say???
But lets not forget, all the flying banners and grass roots SOC movment are gonna get you a new GM and HC too...:D
Your sb bound next year baby!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-19-2012, 03:41 PM
He couldn't comment because his mind was already at work devising ways to slap his giant Chocolate Penii upside Oakland's head for the next 10 to 15 years, yes.

whoman69
12-19-2012, 05:16 PM

We can dream, can't we?