PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs A little refresher on Clark Hunt

Titty Meat
12-17-2012, 01:50 PM
From 2006:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2715831

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Clark Hunt says he'll run the Kansas City Chiefs with the same hands-off policy that characterized his father's ownership.

"We have people in the organization to make those decisions," the 41-year-old Hunt said after the Chiefs beat Jacksonville 35-30 Sunday in their first home game after the death of his father.

"The reason we hire a football person is so they can make the decisions."

Lamar Hunt, who founded the Chiefs as the Dallas Texans in 1960 at the same time he founded the AFL, died Dec. 14 following a long bout with prostate cancer. He had already transferred ownership of 24½ percent of all his holdings, including the Chiefs, to his three sons and one daughter.

Clark, who was appointed chairman of the Chiefs in 2005, is apparently the only one of the four who has shown much interest in the club.

But he said he would continue to let general manager Carl Peterson run the day-to-day football operations while he immerses himself in extensive renovations on Arrowhead Stadium. The 33-year-old facility will undergo a $250 million upgrade beginning in February.

"We try to stay out of it," Clark Hunt said of football operations. "Like anybody, we have an opinion. But I would tell the guys our opinion doesn't matter. It's yours.

"But I'll be very involved in the stadium renovation. Obviously we have a lot of things going on from a business standpoint that ties into the renovation that we're going to be very involved with."

There were video board tributes to Lamar Hunt both before and during the game. The Chiefs founder died at the age of 74 and was hailed throughout the NFL as a pioneer who helped shape the modern face of professional football.

"It's been a trying time for our family," Clark Hunt said. "We have appreciated so very much all the kind things that people have said."

HemiEd
12-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Good leadership, but then a good leader needs to know when to take over as well.

ptlyon
12-17-2012, 01:57 PM
?

-King-
12-17-2012, 02:48 PM
I've been saying this. He's the type of owner that every GM would want to work for. That probably why Pioli came here when nobody thought it would happen.

So I think he'll be able to get some pretty good candidates to interview. We just have to hope this hire pans out.

Deberg_1990
12-17-2012, 02:55 PM
So Lamars other 3 kids have absolutely nothing to do with the team?

2bikemike
12-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Other than cashing their checks, it sounds like they don't.

BossChief
12-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Are you trying to say that Clark is gonna keep Scott Pioli or something?

Because, well...he isn't.

Cephalic Trauma
12-17-2012, 03:04 PM
I heard he's not very smart.

whoman69
12-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Its all about the money

BoneKrusher
12-17-2012, 03:09 PM

he hired Scott Peeoli didn't he?

that's been proven already.

BossChief
12-17-2012, 03:12 PM

You hear that from someone that passed you a pipe?

Cephalic Trauma
12-17-2012, 03:13 PM

So he's dumb and he can't predict the future.

Why hasn't he been overthrown already?

-King-
12-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Everybody wanted to hire Scott Pioli. The Giants wanted to hire Scott Pioli. It turns out it was a bad hire. It happens.

Dayze
12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
believe it when I see it.

BoneKrusher
12-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Everybody wanted to hire Scott Pioli. The Giants wanted to hire Scott Pioli. It turns out it was a bad hire. It happens.

yeah as soon as they figure out Tom Brady is the Patriot Way.

TEX
12-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Yep. Now the only thing worse would be not fixing the problem.

Ace Gunner
12-17-2012, 03:40 PM
*grew up with the Chiefs franchise
*watched Len Dawson up close and personal
*watched the team flounder nearly all 40 years** without another QB that was good
*age 47
*7th season as Chiefs CEO

do you really need to have some other credentials to know matty c was not gonna work out once he laid that turd during the playoff game? Either he's been lied to or he's dumb as hell or this team is low priority -- like completey off the radar.

**with exception to Joe Cool

durtyrute
12-17-2012, 03:48 PM
When did we last make the playoffs? What year did we have the stadium renovations? I'm not saying, I'm just saying....

DaWolf
12-17-2012, 04:21 PM

Very true. And as crazy as it sounds now, there is a possibility that Pioli may have worked out in a place where there was already strong leadership in place and where he could focus on scouting and doing the things he was told and being overruled on certain decisions (IE what he had going on in NE under Belichick).

In a place with a clear vaccum of leadership once King Carl got canned, it just turns out that this was a bad hire in large part because Pioli does not understand or cannot handle leadership at an organizational level. Clark may have been asking the wrong questions at the interview, or thinking that just hiring a "personnel guru" would be enough. He has to make sure he gets the right leader this time. Because Clark is a lot of things, but he is not a strong and active leader for the organization. So he needs someone who is qualified to set that tone...

Titty Meat
12-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Are you trying to say that Clark is gonna keep Scott Pioli or something?

Because, well...he isn't.

What?

-King-
12-17-2012, 05:31 PM
yeah as soon as they figure out Tom Brady is the Patriot Way.

What?
Posted via Mobile Device

rabblerouser
12-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Exactly - Pioli wasn't a bad hire; he was the hottest GM candidate around, and he came here for the exact reasons outlined in the original post : Chunt is a hands-off owner who lets his football people run the ship.

Turns out Pioli is an insane egomaniac who actually makes terrible personnel decisions and defends them with stupid fucking catchphrases like "Finding the right 53 is a process" - HEY PIOLI, check it out - NO NFL team has 'the right 53', especially NOT the Patriots. Hell, they have an entirely different 52 than the team that won the first Super Bowl. The only person they keep is Brady - everyone else is fucking expendable; they cut, resign, cut, and resign the same guys 5 times, or different guys 20 times, it doesn't matter. They have the 2 things we don't have - a QB and a HC. We had a HC who told Pioli to get a fucking QB and Pioli fired the guy.

So here we are. Fuck you, Pioli. Fuck you in your stupid fucking ass.

What was the question???

Bump
12-17-2012, 06:25 PM
without any passion at all from ownership, I doubt we will ever win much.

BlackHelicopters
12-17-2012, 06:29 PM
ChUNT has, IMO, not learned from history.

DTLB58
12-17-2012, 06:34 PM

I thought I read just the other day they were on the Board along with their mom.

DTLB58
12-17-2012, 06:38 PM
without any passion at all from ownership, I doubt we will ever win much.

Agreed. If you just hire someone as say "get er done" and walk away from it, for the most part that's not really what most of these owners are doing these days.

If it were me and Pioli didn't work out, I would be stepping in to make afew more "suggestions". At least QB wise.

Marcellus
12-17-2012, 06:56 PM
ChUNT has, IMO, not learned from history.

What history? What evidence do you have other than he hired the most sought after GM in the league right out the gate?

Yes he ****ed up but not because he didn't try. And all the Clark doesn't care bullshit is getting old, there is ZERO evidence to support that claim. If he didn't care he wouldn't have canned Peterson and company and hired the highest paid guy in the league.

-King-
12-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Agreed. If you just hire someone as say "get er done" and walk away from it, for the most part that's not really what most of these owners are doing these days.

If it were me and Pioli didn't work out, I would be stepping in to make afew more "suggestions". At least QB wise.

The thing is...What input should an owner really have in running a football team? Clark has a billion dollar franchise and other million dollar businesses to worry about. Having input on the team is not something I really want him having. Hire a good GM that knows how to run a football team and let him work. Then the GM can hire a good coach that knows how to coach a football team and let him work.

BlackHelicopters
12-17-2012, 07:45 PM
What history? What evidence do you have other than he hired the most sought after GM in the league right out the gate?

Yes he ****ed up but not because he didn't try. And all the Clark doesn't care bullshit is getting old, there is ZERO evidence to support that claim. If he didn't care he wouldn't have canned Peterson and company and hired the highest paid guy in the league.

I was speaking of the Hunt family hx of too much loyalty, and tolerance of mediocre results at best for the majority of Chiefs hx.

Marcellus
12-17-2012, 07:49 PM
I was speaking of the Hunt family hx of too much loyalty, and tolerance of mediocre results at best for the majority of Chiefs hx.

So the likelihood that is Clark firing Pioli 4 years in is a sign he hasn't learned from his father being too loyal?

That doesn't make any sense.

GloryDayz
12-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Like butta..... (Clark's gonna kill us!)

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ln6s3k18WC1qdf6w8o1_r1_500.gif

tecumseh
12-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Clark made the the best decision on Pioli and most owners would have made the same decision. It's obviously his style to lay back and let his guy run the team. So after the debacle that is Pioli continues to unfold, Clark is faced with an uncomfortable decision to shipcan Pioli and set the franchise right. He might not want to be more involved but these things have a way of imposing themselves on an owner. Kinda like parenthood.

notorious
12-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Scott is going to be back next year.

FUCK

Chief_For_Life58
12-17-2012, 08:37 PM
What?
Posted via Mobile Device

what?

GloryDayz
12-17-2012, 08:55 PM

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.memelinks.com/shut-up.gif

SAUTO
12-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Clark has said he wanted to draft and develop a qb.

He OBVIOUSLY knows how important a qb is. HE came out and said HE wanted Manning. Pioli fucked us on that. Maybe that's where the cracks began...
Posted via Mobile Device

stonedstooge
12-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Clark has said he wanted to draft and develop a qb.

He OBVIOUSLY knows how important a qb is. HE came out and said HE wanted Manning. Pioli ****ed us on that. Maybe that's where the cracks began...
Posted via Mobile Device

If Clark didn't realize the problems when the Arrowhead Anxiety shit got snuffed out by the NFL, he's got real issues

crossbow
12-18-2012, 01:02 AM
Clark wants to win. He isn't a fool or an idiot. He wants the Chiefs to win because he has pride and because it raises attendence which increases profits. More fans in the seats = more money. So complaining about the Clarks is pointless. Do you want Clark to hire a new owner? Gimme a break. He is a hands off owner. Every time I worked for a guy that left me alone I got him lots of raises and promotions. So, Clark is not going to have trouble replacing Scot the Wonder dog. And then when we go 12 and 4 you can blame Clark for it but at least we won't be an embarassment to professional sports.

Sofa King
12-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Clark wants to win. He isn't a fool or an idiot. He wants the Chiefs to win because he has pride and because it raises attendence which increases profits. More fans in the seats = more money. So complaining about the Clarks is pointless. Do you want Clark to hire a new owner? (What?) Gimme a break. He is a hands off owner. Every time I worked for a guy that left me alone I got him lots of raises and promotions. (Of course you did, champ. Every time.) So, Clark is not going to have trouble replacing Scot the Wonder dog. And then when we go 12 and 4 you can blame Clark (for it but at least we won't be an embarassment to professional sports. (uh, if we go 12-4, noone gets "blame", winning is a good thing.)

htismaqe
12-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Nah. He isn't.