PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto 80s-90s Corvette

Pushead2
12-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Thinking about purchasing an 80s or 90s Corvette (depends on the price, milage etc...)

Anyone here own(ed) one? What could you tell me about them?

Bwana
12-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I had a 99 and enjoyed it. I kept it for about two years and resold it. For me it was one of those deals where I had to scratch that itch and after two years, I had done that.

soopamanluva
12-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Ive got a 95 convertible. I dont drive it but in the summer. Fun to drive.

Pushead2
12-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Ive got a 95 convertible. I dont drive it but in the summer. Fun to drive.

Anything you can tell em about it? Power, problems etc...?

HemiEd
12-20-2012, 10:40 AM
These years, the C4s are usually pretty reasonable, as are the C5s, the next generation.

Two years ago, the boss was selling her 36k mile 2001 convertible for $10,000 just to be rid of it before her son started driving.

I still kick myself for not jumping on it. It was a very pretty green with a tan top.

Bwana
12-20-2012, 10:54 AM
These years, the C4s are usually pretty reasonable, as are the C5s, the next generation.

Two years ago, the boss was selling her 36k mile 2001 convertible for $10,000 just to be rid of it before her son started driving.

I still kick myself for not jumping on it. It was a very pretty green with a tan top.

Wow, that would have been one hell of a deal.

DJ's left nut
12-20-2012, 10:56 AM
A friend of ours has a 30 mile commute every day and she drive a 90's vette because she can drop it into 6th and get 25 mpg in it.

Just an odd fact.

ferrarispider95
12-20-2012, 11:30 AM
If you can swing it, a 97 and up (c5), is a far superior car to the 84-96 (c4).

If you are going to go with a c4, get a 92 or newer. Overall, they are very reliable cars, have good power and excellent handling. The c4 rides fairly harsh, the c5 was a dramatic improvement.

Dayze
12-20-2012, 11:35 AM
I'd love to find a used Vette one day.

philfree
12-20-2012, 11:41 AM
If you can swing it, a 97 and up (c5), is a far superior car to the 84-96 (c4).

If you are going to go with a c4, get a 92 or newer. Overall, they are very reliable cars, have good power and excellent handling. The c4 rides fairly harsh, the c5 was a dramatic improvement.

This! I love my '04. I really got it for the wife but once I drove it I decided it was mine.

Munson
12-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Love the '96 Grand Sport Corvettes, and '90-'95 ZR1's. But I hardly ever see either of them on the streets anymore.

BTW, any '96 Vette with a manual transmission has the LT4 engine, making it slightly more desirable.

HemiEd
12-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Wow, that would have been one hell of a deal.

Yeah, I had a pretty full stable at the time, but should have at least flipped it. She had all the original paperwork etc. and it had Borla exhaust with a 3:73 gear.

Dayze
12-20-2012, 12:18 PM
you dumb ass. :Poke:

:D

Pushead2
12-20-2012, 12:29 PM
I think the C5 is a tad bit outside of what I can afford. The deals I've been seeing for the C4 better suit what I'm looking for.

I appreciate the info guys.

ferrarispider95
12-20-2012, 12:44 PM
I think the C5 is a tad bit outside of what I can afford. The deals I've been seeing for the C4 better suit what I'm looking for.

I appreciate the info guys.

Find a 92 and up. The lt1 is a vastly superior motor to the l98. The l98 had a ton of torque, but just dies at higher rpm. IIRC the rev limit was around 4800 rpm. It also cost a ton to make power.

The lt1 has more horsepower and can easily make more hp for little money. Also better fuel mileage, and I believe 92 is a 6 speed, if you can find a manual, which I recommend.

ferrarispider95
12-20-2012, 12:47 PM

That was a smoking deal, I sold my 99 vert for 25k back in 2006 with 52k miles on it.

Just sold my 61, I was just a bit too tall for that car and it made driving more of a chore. I am looking to get into a 63-67, but haven't sat in one to let me know if that is an option. They didn't design these older sports cars for guys that are 6'5".

1moreTRich
12-20-2012, 12:51 PM
I had a black C3 1980. Got it around 7 years ago and just sold it a month ago. Good looking car, but you have to remember they are old and require pretty consistent maintenance. Mine had an electrical draw that we could never find, the headlights always seemed to stop working (vacuum system), I stunk like gas every time I drove it. I got a bunch of work done before I sold it (brakes, gaskets, water pump etc) and in the coming year or two it would have probably needed another couple thousand for other work.

If your not buying a completely redone cream puff, just be aware that you will have maintenance cost to account for.

HemiEd
12-20-2012, 01:06 PM
That was a smoking deal, I sold my 99 vert for 25k back in 2006 with 52k miles on it.

Just sold my 61, I was just a bit too tall for that car and it made driving more of a chore. I am looking to get into a 63-67, but haven't sat in one to let me know if that is an option. They didn't design these older sports cars for guys that are 6'5".

I had a 4 spd. vert 66 back in the day, and flipped it for $1800 after buying it for $1200. :D

They aren't a whole lot bigger inside than your 61. You will enjoy driving the C4 or C5 a lot better and they aren't near as pricy as the 63-67s.

Ace Gunner
12-20-2012, 01:09 PM
used to own an '83 vette. tranny blew, then differential.. got rid of it.

soopamanluva
12-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Anything you can tell em about it? Power, problems etc...?

Its got plenty of power for me. The only issues ive noticed are the dash material starts to peel which causes cosmetic issues and I had an issue with the brakes. When I slammed on the brakes, it just coasted to a stop. It didnt lock up and make the car skid.

1moreTRich
12-20-2012, 01:22 PM

83? :hmmm:

DomCasual
12-20-2012, 02:32 PM
How this movie didn't win the Oscar for Best Picture in 1978 is beyond me. But if you buy a Corvette, watching this is a requirement.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mAQMe0B6kPo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze
12-20-2012, 02:34 PM
How this movie didn't win the Oscar for Best Picture in 1978 is beyond me. But if you buy a Corvette, watching this is a requirement.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mAQMe0B6kPo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like in the beginning of it, the Vette gets picked up by a magnet in the junkyard if I recall.

LMAO

HemiEd
12-20-2012, 03:00 PM
83? :hmmm:

It was really rare, 1 of 1.

Wumbology
12-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Had to read "All Corvettes are Red" by James Schefter for one of my engineering classes this semester. Pretty cool book I'd recommend to anyone who's into vettes. Made me want a C5 really bad.

DomCasual
12-20-2012, 03:15 PM
I like in the beginning of it, the Vette gets picked up by a magnet in the junkyard if I recall.

LMAO

:D I don't remember anything about it. I just remember it was one of the coolest movies ever made, to my nine-year-old self. I was browsing through the TV listings a few months ago, and I came across it on some channel I had never heard of. I watched about ten minutes of it. It was so bad, I actually felt awkward watching it - and I was by myself. But when I was nine, it had been awe-inspiring!

I think Mark Hamill was coming off the success of Star Wars. The producers must have thought that his popularity at the time would help carry the movie. It's definitely worth watching, for the unintentional comedy factor.

Dayze
12-20-2012, 03:21 PM
:D I don't remember anything about it. I just remember it was one of the coolest movies ever made, to my nine-year-old self. I was browsing through the TV listings a few months ago, and I came across it on some channel I had never heard of. I watched about ten minutes of it. It was so bad, I actually felt awkward watching it - and I was by myself. But when I was nine, it had been awe-inspiring!

I think Mark Hamill was coming off the success of Star Wars. The producers must have thought that his popularity at the time would help carry the movie. It's definitely worth watching, for the unintentional comedy factor.

lol
yeah, one night a few of us (this was like 20 years ago) were getting drunk, and smoking.....stuff....and stumbled on it at like 2am. we ended up watching the entire damn thing lol

TrebMaxx
12-20-2012, 03:58 PM

You were a fool to get rid of it. Very collectable, only 44 made and only 1 survivor is known to exist which resides at the Corvette Museum.

CoMoChief
12-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Is it 99 when the newer bodystyle came out?

Dayze
12-20-2012, 04:31 PM
i believe so

Ace Gunner
12-20-2012, 04:51 PM
You were a fool to get rid of it. Very collectable, only 44 made and only 1 survivor is known to exist which resides at the Corvette Museum.

well for all the years I'd've had to store it, it wouldn't have been worth it to me. that car was one of those cars that would've cost a fortune to keep on the road, was my feeling at the time. it was a lemon.

I was pumped to get it because I had to grease palms to get on the list and then as I recall, I had to pull a few favors for the dealer too. Free tix, etc. But in the end it was anticlimactic. I took a big loss on the resale, but I don't regret it.

That car was a vortex during the years I owned it -- my first wife loved it. She drove it some and had traffic tickets in abundance. Of course, she didn't pay them herself. It was "my fault".

ferrarispider95
12-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Is it 99 when the newer bodystyle came out?

Nope, 97 for the c5, 98 c5 convertible, 99 c5 fixed roof couple

c1 - 1953-1962 - Even though 53-55 are dramatically different.
c2 - 1963-1967 - Big blocks and big power. 63 is the split window
c3 - 1968-1982 - Early years kicked ass, later years (73 -up) dampened by oil embargo.
c4 - 1984-1996 - Excellent handling, made the body style too long. ZR1 from 90 to 95.
c5 - 1997-2004 - Ride handling improved greatly.
c6 - 2005-2013 - Some people called it c5.5, they didn't think there was enough dramatic improvement over c4.
c7 - 2014 - It will be unveiled in Jan., but there are some sketches out there that are probably really close. I like the front end and side, hate the back end (at least in sketches) - appears to have square taillights.

TrebMaxx
12-20-2012, 06:35 PM
well for all the years I'd've had to store it, it wouldn't have been worth it to me. that car was one of those cars that would've cost a fortune to keep on the road, was my feeling at the time. it was a lemon.

I was pumped to get it because I had to grease palms to get on the list and then as I recall, I had to pull a few favors for the dealer too. Free tix, etc. But in the end it was anticlimactic. I took a big loss on the resale, but I don't regret it.

That car was a vortex during the years I owned it -- my first wife loved it. She drove it some and had traffic tickets in abundance. Of course, she didn't pay them herself. It was "my fault".
Are you sure it was a 83? Not trying to start any crap with you but they only made 44 Corvettes for that model year. None were available to the public. Most were used for car shows and crash testing. All were destroyed by GM but one which is at the Corvette Museum. Anyway that is what I have been told.

hometeam
12-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Stock they are SLOWWWWW, so please don't buy one thinking its going to be fast.

Not a bad platform though, especially if your going to throw an LS based built motor and some spray or turbo at it. If your going to build an lt1 though, be prepared to spend more money, get less, and ultimately an lt1 will leave you wanting. (or it would me anyway)

me likey LS 408 thrown in one mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

hometeam
12-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Also, take my post with a grain of salt. They ARE balls slow (to me) running maybe a 15 second run stock. But for some people, that might be fast. I know it was for me when I very first got into cars at a young age. Just don't expect to beat anything modern or modified in a race.

And if you just want to cruise and look/sound good that is achievable fairly cheap.

Ace Gunner
12-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Are you sure it was a 83? Not trying to start any crap with you but they only made 44 Corvettes for that model year. None were available to the public. Most were used for car shows and crash testing. All were destroyed by GM but one which is at the Corvette Museum. Anyway that is what I have been told.

Well, it was that first year of the new body style. I was wealthy back then and was real pumped to drive such a rare exotic car. But, all said, it may have been the '84 release that was actually out during '83. as I recall, I had to wait a few months for it.

SLAG
12-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Find a 92 and up. The lt1 is a vastly superior motor to the l98. The l98 had a ton of torque, but just dies at higher rpm. IIRC the rev limit was around 4800 rpm. It also cost a ton to make power.

The lt1 has more horsepower and can easily make more hp for little money. Also better fuel mileage, and I believe 92 is a 6 speed, if you can find a manual, which I recommend.

The LT1's also perform well at higher mileage

I am a huge fan of LT1's and LS1's some of the best chevy put out

Psyko Tek
12-20-2012, 11:39 PM

are you serious?
i did not think made any 30 anniversary vettes at all,
was the year I graduated high school

loved vettes until I figured out I would never afford one
I love mid 60's late 50's ettes

Miles
12-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Also, take my post with a grain of salt. They ARE balls slow (to me) running maybe a 15 second run stock. But for some people, that might be fast. I know it was for me when I very first got into cars at a young age. Just don't expect to beat anything modern or modified in a race.

And if you just want to cruise and look/sound good that is achievable fairly cheap.

Most sports cars of that era and earlier are not quick by today's standards.

TrebMaxx
12-20-2012, 11:58 PM
are you serious?
i did not think made any 30 anniversary vettes at all,
was the year I graduated high school

loved vettes until I figured out I would never afford one
I love mid 60's late 50's ettes
Yep I am. There where no 83 vettes available to the public but there were 44 made, all but one were destroyed by GM. The lone survivor is at the Corvette museum.

Miles
12-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Just my take but the C5 was a major improvement and still does not look dated. If they are near your budget you may consider waiting it out for a good deal.

TinyEvel
12-21-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm a sucker for the 1968-73 ones

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Corvette-Convertible-1972-Corvette-Convertible-Excellent-Condition-/190771544274?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c6adec0d2#v4-48

though, i like t-tops better than convertible

Pushead2
12-21-2012, 01:45 AM

Yeah, I didn't expect it to be super fast by today's measures.

I've always wanted a Vette (no matter the year) so it's more of just to own and drive around when I'm home every once in a while.

Pushead2
12-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Just my take but the C5 was a major improvement and still does not look dated. If they are near your budget you may consider waiting it out for a good deal.

Even with a super good deal, it's right above my limit. I'm looking for 10k and under.

If I stretch for one, then it leaves me with little play money or to get it to the way I'm looking to have it. Not to mention insurance, inspection etc.

Dunerdr
12-21-2012, 03:01 AM
C5 or bust lsx is where its at! Never had a vette but ive had an 00 ws6 with the ls1, 06 trailblazer ss with the ls2 and the wifes currently driving an 08 g8 gt with a bastardized detuned 6.0. Ive got a cousin with a c4 for sale in topeka roughly 120k and fresh paint job. I was gonna buy it and convert it for my lq4 408 stroker and make a sleeper but dont have the change.