PDA

View Full Version : Life Surewest v Time Warner

Silock
12-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Anyone had both? I have Surewest now and no complaints. But it doesn't have ESPN3 or WatchESPN or ESPN3D. I'd like to have those things, but only if TW is a decent provider.

HolyHat
12-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Time Warner is the most pathetic company I've EVER seen. The best way to go is Dish, Direct TV, U-Verse or anything other than Time Warner.

Pablo
12-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Don't get Time Warner. What you have has to be better.

Bearcat
12-21-2012, 02:37 PM
You'll probably get mostly negative reviews of TWC (or any provider for that matter), but I like them for the most part. The DVR could be better, but it's not terrible and I can at least record a couple of shows at once (and controlling it from my phone is nice). They've been pretty responsive to issues.

ESPN3 used to be really cool, but they've started blacking out more and more games... I couldn't even get Oklahoma/Oklahoma State on my phone a few weeks ago because it was on ABC or ESPN. What's the point of a freakin' mobile app if you can't watch an out of town game? I used to watch a game or two online plus one or two on TV, but it's fairly limited now... not sure if it'll be the same this year for CBB.

HolyHat
12-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Matt Cassel > TWC

Dayze
12-21-2012, 02:41 PM
TWC suks balls. I moved, and got it; and called them back 3 days later and told them I was done. it sucked bad.

CoMoChief
12-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Time Warner sucks ass....I want to change but the place I'm at doesn't allow Direct TV or any other satellite vendor.

I'm moving in about 2-3 months and I'm switching to DTV

keg in kc
12-21-2012, 04:00 PM
I've had time warner since, ah, 2003, and I've had exactly one issue in all that time (someone working on the service in somebody else's apartment inadvertently put a block on my service). Otherwise no complaints. I had surewest at work for a while (I work from home now) and I wasn't particularly impressed, although no real complaint there either.

Silock
12-21-2012, 06:27 PM
So, what, specifically are people's complaints? All I see is "it sucks," which doesn't really describe much.

Bearcat
12-21-2012, 06:49 PM
So, what, specifically are people's complaints? All I see is "it sucks," which doesn't really describe much.

I was that way the first time I signed up with TWC, then after a year of Cox, I was happy to go back to TWC. The biggest complaints I've heard are from people who live downtown, because apparently their hardware absolutely sucks in that area and can't handle all the people who have moved there in the past few years. I've heard other complaints about HD signal problems, which I had for a short while, but they were pretty responsive and fixed it quickly.

I think my internet is supposed to be capped at 18 down, so no complaints there...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2387385674.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Bump
12-21-2012, 06:52 PM
TWC is TERRIBAD

so is comcast

Direct TV is okay... the receiver gets really sluggish a lot though, which is my only complaint really.

don't have experience with others.

bevischief
12-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Direct TV has it.

Lex Luthor
12-22-2012, 11:03 PM
I was a Time Warner Cable customer for around 10 years. I had some initial problems when I first got the service (mostly with the Internet connection), but everything was rock solid for at least the last 5 years.

6 months ago I decided to switch to SureWest so that I could get the NFL Network, and Time Warner had been unable to reach a deal with that network ever since it started broadcasting.

I had a few minor problems with SureWest, but overall it wasn't a bad service. However, there are just a lot of nice little minor things you get with Time Warner that you don't get Surewest:

1. The iPad app that turns your iPad into a cable TV receiver (must be in your own house)
2. The ability to use the WatchESPN app (anywhere)
3. The MetroSports channel

When Time Warner FINALLY reached agreement with the NFL Network, SureWest lost its only advantage.

A week ago I switched back to Time Warner Cable. I'm once again a happy Time Warner customer.

Imon Yourside
12-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Had Time Warner for about 12 years, switched to Surewest and the service, the people and the dependability are 1000 times better. Also Surewest internet service is much faster at the same speed because they guarantee you your own bandwith whereas Timewarner you share the bandwitch with the neighborhood. Customer service is also great with Surewest, and nonexistant with Time Warner...I hope I never have to switch back to TW...

Also had Direct Tv and I have to say the gadgets/service is cool but customer service wise they act like they don't even
want you as a customer...Raised my rates after the first year and would not negotiate at all...kicked them to the curb as
Surewest paid for the early contract cancellation fee.

KevB
01-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Refreshing an old topic here, as I'm just paying entirely too much for internet/cable with TWC. Surewest has a deal going that would cost me half as much as I'm paying TWC for roughly equivalent service and faster internet.

Has anyone else made the switch from TWC to Surewest? Would you do it again?

The other variable is that I'm in Shawnee and will apparently have Google Fiber as an option at some point. The Surewest deal is with a 2 year agreement. In 6 months, I will have saved enough that paying the ETF would be break even at that point.