PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs La Canfora: NFL execs believe Polian will land in KC/Eagles eyeing Chip Kelly

Quesadilla Joe
12-23-2012, 12:05 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/21445566

Bill Polian expected to get consideration to run Chiefs

Longtime NFL executive Bill Polian will be exploring NFL options in 2013, sources said, and numerous NFL execs believe he could be with the Chiefs next month.

As previously reported, sources said Kansas City's embattled general manager Scott Pioli was offered a contract extension prior to the season but did not sign it, and Chiefs owner Clark Hunt is under intense pressure to retool the coaching staff and front office in 2013. Hunt is a private man and sensitive to criticism, according to many who have worked for him.

The 69-year-old Polian is vastly experienced and very hands on, brings immediate credibility and has a high profile that could provide a buffer for Hunt, who does not oversee the day-to-day operations. Polian has succeeded with numerous franchises and with perhaps six GM jobs opening up, this could be a year where several former executives get back in the game.

The Polians and Hunt could be a logical fit, with Polian filling a role similar to the one played by Carl Peterson in Kansas City from 1989-2008. Polian's son Chris, also a former Colts GM, could become involved in personnel with the Chiefs as well.
The Philadelphia Eagles will consider Chip Kelly to replace Andy Reid, according to league sources, and multiple executives with rival teams anticipate Philadelphia making a heavy push to land the Oregon head coach.

As previously reported in the space, Kelly will be a hot NFL commodity, and with possible NCAA sanctions looming over Oregon, the noted offensive mind is expected to make the jump to the NFL. The Ducks finish out their season in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl against Kansas State on Jan. 3. The Eagles won't be the only team to contact Kelly, but league sources expect them to be among the first to try to interview him, and believe he could emerge as a quick favorite for the position. The attractiveness of the Eagles job, versus other potential opportunities on Kelly's plate, remains to be seen. Kelly turned down Tampa Bay last offseason after effectively agreeing to take the job, and it's not known how Philly's fluid quarterback situation and organizational structure might factor into his interest there.

Kelly is 45-7 in four years as head coach at Oregon, but has no NFL experience.

The Eagles have not looked to the college ranks for a head coach since hiring Dick Vermeil away from UCLA in 1976. Vermeil led the team to won one of its two Super Bowl appearances to date in his seven seasons with the team (1976-82).

Reid, whose 14-year tenure with the Eagles is believed to be coming to an end, is seeking to coach elsewhere in 2013, and is expected by those close to him to move on regardless of whether Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie wanted him to return.

KCrockaholic
12-23-2012, 12:13 PM
If Polian can bring Kelly to KC, then it'll be worth it. As long as Chris isn't a total dumbass.

RealSNR
12-23-2012, 12:14 PM
I really hope the Eagles don't get Kelly. They're always going after innovative hires and succeeding more often than not.

In58men
12-23-2012, 12:17 PM
He should be on his death bed.

Agent V
12-23-2012, 12:18 PM
I really hope the Eagles don't get Kelly. They're always going after innovative hires and succeeding more often than not.

Fuck them. Come here and take the cushy job. It takes, like, 40 years for our fans and media to get angry.

KC kid
12-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Bill Polian's drafts in Indianapolis are far from impressive. I dont know.

tredadda
12-23-2012, 12:52 PM

At least he is not afraid to draft a QB in the first though which is what we need.

KC kid
12-23-2012, 01:03 PM
He drafted Peyton Manning. Was that brilliant? Seemed obvious

-King-
12-23-2012, 01:04 PM

There aren't many teams that had better drafts from '98-2007.

htismaqe
12-23-2012, 01:07 PM

It wasn't at the time.

In58men
12-23-2012, 01:07 PM

I'm pretty sure Polian doesn't get all the credit for Manning. You have no idea who made the move lol. Quit it.

stonedstooge
12-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Dude from Indy on the radio last week said Polian and Pioli both trained at Auswitch. People hate working for Polian too. Chunt to hire another Nazi?

2bikemike

He could have chosen Ryan Leaf over Peyton. Thats what the Chiefs would've done.

The Bad Guy
Giving credit to Polian for not being afraid to take a QB in the first, when that QB is Peyton Manning is like saying the guy who asked out Kate Upton had a lot of courage. It's fucking Peyton Manning.

Polian is terrible.

The Bad Guy
12-23-2012, 01:10 PM
I also think a guy like Matt Barkley would be a Polian pick.

In58men
12-23-2012, 01:12 PM

I'd puke

aturnis
12-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Polian would be epic fail...

The Bad Guy
12-23-2012, 01:21 PM
You just can't hire a 70 year old GM. You need someone that's going to be here a long time. The turnover on this team and staff has been incredible over the last 4 years.

They need stability and they have to get this hire right.

Polian offers none of that.

htismaqe
12-23-2012, 01:24 PM
You just can't hire a 70 year old GM. You need someone that's going to be here a long time. The turnover on this team and staff has been incredible over the last 4 years.

They need stability and they have to get this hire right.

Polian offers none of that.

This.

The Bad Guy
12-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Polian also sounds too much like Pioli. Both in name sake and attitude.

Fuck them both.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Why would anyone be ok with hiring a 69 year old GM? His five year plan consists of not only winning a Super Bowl, but not dying.

ROYC75
12-23-2012, 01:32 PM
No Polian for me .........Just say no, new blood!

Knowing Clark, he will be thinking it's a safe hire, it's not.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-23-2012, 01:33 PM
No Polian for me .........Just say no, new blood!

Knowing Clark, he will be thinking it's a safe hire, it's not.

I wish we had an owner that knew football and didn't need to bring in a consultant all the damn time. Freaking trust fund babies.

mdchiefsfan
12-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Tom Gamble damn it! Not this old fuck and his douche bag son.

bevischief
12-23-2012, 01:37 PM
DO NOT WANT.

Mr. Laz
12-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Bill Polian
Chip Kelly
Geno Smith

could be worse

Ace Gunner
12-23-2012, 01:40 PM
If Hunt goes with Polian, I'm guessing he's also going with Polian's son to take over after a few seasons.

I still do not think Hunt is going to replace Pioli after the season.

notorious
12-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Bill Polian
Chip Kelly
Geno Smith

could be worse

Scott Pioli
Todd Haley/Romeo Crennel
Matt Cassel

You are damn right.

bevischief
12-23-2012, 01:42 PM
As drag my ass across your carpet,

BigMeatballDave
12-23-2012, 01:43 PM

If this is true, Clark is the dumbest owner in the NFL.

Ace Gunner
12-23-2012, 01:45 PM

my opinion since 2008

htismaqe
12-23-2012, 01:57 PM
If Hunt goes with Polian, I'm guessing he's also going with Polian's son to take over after a few seasons.

Your and idiot.

BossChief
12-23-2012, 02:00 PM
I can't believe so many here shit on Bill Polian.

Every team he has ran has been to either the superbowl or conference championship game. Every one of them also had a franchise quarterback that either he drafted or was in place and the guy understands that to win you need to keep putting pieces around him to be able to win big games.

Bill Polian would draft Geno Smith and try his hardest to lock up Bowe and Albert...he wouldn't stop there, either. The guy would be relentless in finding quality receivers and other skill position players to go around the kid to help him succeed.

milkman
12-23-2012, 02:04 PM
I can't believe so many here shit on Bill Polian.

Every team he has ran has been to either the superbowl or conference championship game. Every one of them also had a franchise quarterback that either he drafted or was in place and the guy understands that to win you need to keep putting pieces around him to be able to win big games.

Bill Polian would draft Geno Smith and try his hardest to lock up Bowe and Albert...he wouldn't stop there, either. The guy would be relentless in finding quality receivers and other skill position players to go around the kid to help him succeed.

Peyton Manning is the only franchise QB he has ever drafted.

He is not looking for a GM job continue his legacy.

He is looking for a GM job to set his son up, who is just fucking terrible.

RealSNR
12-23-2012, 02:07 PM

He is looking for a GM job to set his son up, who is just fucking terrible.

Yep.

MotherfuckerJones
12-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Everywhere polian goes he succeeded. His philosophy was pay your top 8 players then fill in your roster with mid to late picks

RealSNR
12-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Everywhere polian goes he succeeded. His philosophy was pay your top 8 players then fill in your roster with mid to late picks

His philosophy is also to hook his worthless sadfuckrapeshit excuse of a son up with a job

Chiefspants
12-23-2012, 02:13 PM
It is the location where half of my "million dollar ideas" are inspired.

ILChief
12-23-2012, 02:14 PM
His philosophy is also to hook his worthless sadfuckrapeshit excuse of a son up with a job

Who cares? Just fire the son after Bill retires

FloridaMan88
12-23-2012, 02:14 PM
The Polians and Hunt could be a logical fit, with Polian filling a role similar to the one played by Carl Peterson in Kansas City from 1989-2008

In other words, Clark wants a GM he can hand off all aspects of the franchise's operations to.

Clark is a middle manager, cast as a CEO due to his last name.

Leadership fail.

RealSNR
12-23-2012, 02:16 PM

It took 2-12 and all kinds of bullshit to fire Pioli. I hope Clark is willing to do the job.

milkman

If Hunt hires Polian, it's because he's fully aware of the situation, and is buyng into the idea for the sake of stability.

Ace Gunner
Your and idiot.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/042009/1239883733_Angry_Video_Game_Nerd.gif

-King-
12-23-2012, 02:28 PM

htismaqe
12-23-2012, 02:33 PM
In other words, Clark wants a GM he can hand off all aspects of the franchise's operations to.

Clark is a middle manager, cast as a CEO due to his last name.

Leadership fail.

You do realize that COMPETENT CEOs don't meddle in the daily affairs of the business, right?

htismaqe
12-23-2012, 02:34 PM
http://gifs.gifbin.com/042009/1239883733_Angry_Video_Game_Nerd.gif

I said your and idiot. Are you blind too?

Molitoth
12-23-2012, 02:34 PM
I know nothing of polians son. Why does everyone hate him?

BossChief
12-23-2012, 02:57 PM

He is looking for a GM job to set his son up, who is just fucking terrible.IIRC he also drafted Kerry Collins, who lead his team to the conference championship game very early on for an expansion team. Its was only after Polians days there that he went totally downhill.

Lets say this is true, because it probably is (that he is gonna try to set it up for Chris)...that would also give Bill more motivation to make the right moves then, right? Kinda like Chris' nest egg of sorts.

When Bill steps down, he is gonna want to majority of the heavy lifting to have already been done. He will want to be handing over a team with a sub 30 year old franchise quarterback and a good defense.

I guess I don see the downside in all of that.

Lets cross that bridge when we get there.

BossChief
12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I know nothing of polians son. Why does everyone hate him?

During the last couple years in Indy, Chris was playing a larger role in the team and didn't do a very good job. He definitely wasn't ready and may not be now, either. Its a legitimate concern....but his dad is one of the better GMs in the league and he absolutely "gets it" in how to build a team from the ground up.

milkman
12-23-2012, 03:11 PM
During the last couple years in Indy, Chris was playing a larger role in the team and didn't do a very good job. He definitely wasn't ready and may not be now, either. Its a legitimate concern....but his dad is one of the better GMs in the league and he absolutely "gets it" in how to build a team from the ground up.

I don't want a good 2 or 3 year run.

I want sustained success.

To achieve that, you need a guy in charge that will continue to bring in talent after 2 or 3 years.

Rausch
12-23-2012, 03:17 PM
If Hunt hires Polian, it's because he's fully aware of the situation, and is buyng into the idea for the sake of stability.

Understandable...

mcaj22
12-23-2012, 03:19 PM
pretty sure he was letting Chirs do the drafts the last two or 3 years in Indy which is why the picks are so god awful

Bill isnt "setting" him up, he will let him come right in, promote him and let him shuve his stupid face in decision making like draft picks right away, while Bill just handles a smaller role as long as his legacy name is attached to it, his kid gets a free pass.

Theres a reason his kid is at a such an awful lowly position without him right now

BossChief
12-23-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't want a good 2 or 3 year run.

I want sustained success.

To achieve that, you need a guy in charge that will continue to bring in talent after 2 or 3 years.

If Bill drafts Geno Smith and a few other good starters, Chris' job will be a manageable one. I am still of the opinion that all this team needs is a handful of players (including 2 qbs) and a good coaching staff to quickly turn things around and have sustained success. We have the pieces for a good pass rush, a couple good pieces in the secondary and a handful of good skill position players on o as well as a young, solid offensive line.

Chris' job will be to keep players in house and to hit a few singles anddoubles in the drafts.

silver5liter
12-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I said your and idiot. Are you blind too?

He's saying that your "and" is an idiot.

FloridaMan88
12-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Keep this simple... NO to Bill Polian

Next.

RealSNR
12-23-2012, 03:46 PM
If Bill drafts Geno Smith and a few other good starters, Chris' job will be a manageable one. I am still of the opinion that all this team needs is a handful of players (including 2 qbs) and a good coaching staff to quickly turn things around and have sustained success. We have the pieces for a good pass rush, a couple good pieces in the secondary and a handful of good skill position players on o as well as a young, solid offensive line.

Chris' job will be to keep players in house and to hit a few singles anddoubles in the drafts.

That's my biggest worry. I don't think he can even do that.

All of his drafts will be giant wet farts. I can see myself having no confidence whatsoever in anything just like it was when Carl was making picks

aturnis
12-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Polian hamstrung Mannings career with shitty defenses. Peyton and Indy should have many more rings.

Tribal Warfare
12-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Conforna talking out of bis ass as usual

RealSNR
12-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Conforna talking out of bis ass as usual

He reported the Pioli extension, didn't he?

I wouldn't trust anything that douchebag says about the Chiefs.

-King-
12-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Polian hamstrung Mannings career with shitty defenses. Peyton and Indy should have many more rings.

And yet, the reason they didn't have more rings is not because of the defense. But because of Peyton.

Mr. Laz
12-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Polian hamstrung Mannings career with shitty defenses. Peyton and Indy should have many more rings.Manning hamstrung his own career with his huge contract that didn't allow more talent on the team around him.

King_Chief_Fan
12-23-2012, 04:06 PM
any GM change without a HC, OC change is not acceptable.

I want to hear that Crennel and Daboll are out of a job

Sure-Oz
12-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Gotta get young on both moves imo.

Mr. Laz
12-23-2012, 04:12 PM

nah, i don't see any way we change GM's but don't change the coaching staff.

Might change coaches and keep the GM but not the other way around ... just doesn't work that way

Mr. Laz
12-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Gotta get young on both moves imo.
why does age matter for the GM?

The Bad Guy
12-23-2012, 05:14 PM
why does age matter for the GM?

Age should absolutely matter for a team that's young. You want a GM that's going to be here 5+ years and a 70 year old does not provide that. How many 80 year old GMs are there?

This organization needs stability. It needs guys that are going to be in place for a while after the debacle that has been the last 4 years.

BossChief
12-23-2012, 05:17 PM

ROFL

You think there is even a 1% chance a new GM is hired is goes with Romeo Crennel as his first head coach?

chagrin
12-23-2012, 05:27 PM

thank you

htismaqe
12-23-2012, 05:29 PM
ROFL

You think there is even a 1% chance a new GM is hired is goes with Romeo Crennel as his first head coach?

Exactly.

They are going to gut the football side of the operation.

Rausch
12-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Exactly.

They are going to gut the football side of the operation.

This.

We win.

WE WIN.

DO NOT FORGET TO THANK THOSE WHO CARED ENOUGH TO MAKE IT HAPPEN...

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-23-2012, 05:32 PM
No. Sweet God NO.

And fuck you Slappy.:)

DaWolf
12-23-2012, 05:36 PM
This.

We win.

WE WIN.

We only win if the right choice is made, not if history repeats itself. I truly believe Polian would be a bad hire based on what this franchise needs...

CaliforniaChief
12-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Here's a sampling of the stupidity of Chiefs fans taken from comments under the Chiefs' last FB post:

"I say no to geno smith i say we take teo in the 1st and then the qb from kansas state in the 2nd round cuz we now need a milb to"

"We have cap space most in Nfl..We have lots draft pics..Let get Mark Sanchez he needs new scenery.Re sign Dwayne Bowe .We have tAlent to beSt anyone.Let get Brian Billick..We will rise"

"1st round we need running back Monte Ball from Wisconsin, we need to keep our running game stout. Charles is not getting younger . we can get a quality QB in the 2nd round or go after A Smith and Kirk Cousins. We have a stout defense if it isn't broke don't fix it . Now the REAL need GM and COACH !!!!!!!!! GET'EM OUT !!!!!!!"

"Do any of you really think that a high draft pick is really going to fix the problems that they have. What we need is a proven QB, move Crennel to D coord. and trade away the draft picks for offensive linemen and recievers."

"They don't need qb use cassel fire offensive coaching, keep Romeo with defense draft Te'o problems solved playoffs nuff said"

:facepalm:

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Here's a sampling of the stupidity of Chiefs fans taken from comments under the Chiefs' last FB post:

"I say no to geno smith i say we take teo in the 1st and then the qb from kansas state in the 2nd round cuz we now need a milb to"

"We have cap space most in Nfl..We have lots draft pics..Let get Mark Sanchez he needs new scenery.Re sign Dwayne Bowe .We have tAlent to beSt anyone.Let get Brian Billick..We will rise"

"1st round we need running back Monte Ball from Wisconsin, we need to keep our running game stout. Charles is not getting younger . we can get a quality QB in the 2nd round or go after A Smith and Kirk Cousins. We have a stout defense if it isn't broke don't fix it . Now the REAL need GM and COACH !!!!!!!!! GET'EM OUT !!!!!!!"

"Do any of you really think that a high draft pick is really going to fix the problems that they have. What we need is a proven QB, move Crennel to D coord. and trade away the draft picks for offensive linemen and recievers."

"They don't need qb use cassel fire offensive coaching, keep Romeo with defense draft Te'o problems solved playoffs nuff said"

God our fans are so fucking dumb it hurts.

CaliforniaChief
12-23-2012, 05:47 PM
God our fans are so fucking dumb it hurts.

My head is spinning, it's so mind-blowing.

BryanBusby
12-23-2012, 05:49 PM

holy shit LMAO

Is it possible to fire the fanbase, too?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-23-2012, 05:51 PM
holy shit LMAO

Is it possible to fire the fanbase, too?

It's absolutely mind-blowing what almost 40 years of incompetent suck will do to a fan base.

BossChief
12-23-2012, 05:55 PM
I swear that 90% of this fan base only watches Chiefs football and has no clue what good football looks like. The only time they get to see a real qb, they HATE HIM because he is always on the other team.

BryanBusby
12-23-2012, 05:56 PM
I swear 95% of this fan base watches only Chiefs football and doesn't even know what the fuck they are actually seeing.

I mean really:

htismaqe
12-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Please stop posting this stuff here. Some of us are avoiding FB for a fucking reason.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-23-2012, 05:57 PM
"They don't need a QB/Use Cassel"....LMAOROFL:LOL:

evolve27
12-23-2012, 06:03 PM

Why is that?

The Bad Guy
12-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Why is that?

Heard an interview with him a few months ago and he said how much he loved QBs that played 4 years, that come from a big school and play in a pro style offense.

That all screams Barkley.

Unsmooth-Moment
12-23-2012, 06:08 PM

This honestly makes me embarassed to be a Chiefs fan.

evolve27
12-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Heard an interview with him a few months ago and he said how much he loved QBs that played 4 years, that come from a big school and play in a pro style offense.

True. Good info.

Deberg_1990
12-23-2012, 06:09 PM

That sounds similar to some of the nonsense I heard on 810 post game.

"Let's keep Cassel"

"I think the Chiefs keep Romeo around another year"

"We need to draft defense first!"

Where do they get these clowns???

AussieChiefsFan
12-23-2012, 06:11 PM

:facepalm:http://s3.roosterteeth.com/images/Dawkin4d5c23fdc6a8a.jpg

MotherfuckerJones
12-23-2012, 06:13 PM
His philosophy is also to hook his worthless sad****rapeshit excuse of a son up with a job

Kinda like Marty with Kurt and Brian schottenheimer

htismaqe
12-23-2012, 06:19 PM
That sounds similar to some of the nonsense I heard on 810 post game.

"Let's keep Cassel"

"I think the Chiefs keep Romeo around another year"

"We need to draft defense first!"

Where do they get these clowns???

Just stop already.

All it does is get people riled up.

Ignore the idiots.

-King-
12-23-2012, 06:19 PM
You guys just love looking for and reposting shit that pisses you off. I just don't understand that.

CaliforniaChief
12-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Fortunately, I'm of the belief that after Geno runs his 40, does his interviews, and has his pro-day, that there would be no doubt, even to the Te'o lovers, that he's the man.

Deberg_1990
12-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Just stop already.

All it does is get people riled up.

Ignore the idiots.

Oh yea I know.....I'll bet 810 purposely puts the idiots on air for a good laugh.

BossChief
12-23-2012, 07:16 PM
You know what I would be happy with (if we don't hire Bill Cowher)

Polian and Arians as a GM/HC combo.

Polian would draft him and AriNs has a nice record of developing qbs and has a background in Pittsburgh and Baltimore to chose his assistants from.

FlaChief58
12-23-2012, 07:21 PM

Does it hurt to be this fucking stupid?

TribalElder
12-23-2012, 07:23 PM
If we get Kelly & Polian then they turn around and draft Geno first round I'm buying season tickets immediately. No more fucking around if this goes down.

Mr. Laz
12-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Fortunately, I'm of the belief that after Geno runs his 40, does his interviews, and has his pro-day, that there would be no doubt, even to the Te'o lovers, that he's the man.

QB usually do rise and LB's usually drop during pre-draft workouts etc.

I imagine Smith with be top 5 and Wilson will be top 10 before the draft hits.

hell ... maybe even Glennon shoots up. :shrug:

Bray has character issues so his draft stock will depend a lot on that.

Hootie
12-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Only the 2012 chiefs could lose a game like today that they totally dominate!!! Thanks for Geno, Scott!!!

milkman
12-23-2012, 07:53 PM
You know what I would be happy with (if we don't hire Bill Cowher)

Polian and Arians as a GM/HC combo.

Polian would draft him and AriNs has a nice record of developing qbs and has a background in Pittsburgh and Baltimore to chose his assistants from.

You've been hanging around the morons, haven't you?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-23-2012, 07:56 PM

LMAO

BossChief
12-23-2012, 07:57 PM

I just think the next three years that our #1 priority is drafting and developing our franchise quarterback. There are worse options that Arians and Polian.

Bewbies
12-23-2012, 07:59 PM
I just think the next three years that our #1 priority is drafting and developing our franchise quarterback. There are worse options that Arians and Polian.

I know of one, but we'll fit them next Monday...

milkman
12-23-2012, 08:08 PM

And there are better options out there.

Polian is a bad choice.

MotherfuckerJones
12-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Age should absolutely matter for a team that's young. You want a GM that's going to be here 5+ years and a 70 year old does not provide that. How many 80 year old GMs are there?

This organization needs stability. It needs guys that are going to be in place for a while after the debacle that has been the last 4 years.

You're right. But polian could help us get back on track and Clark and him could find a good young GM while they build kc back up

milkman
12-23-2012, 08:20 PM
You're right. But polian could help us get back on track and Clark and him could find a good young GM while they build kc back up

The problem is that, as already has been pointed out, Bill Polian is going to be bringing in Chris Polian to take over when he retires.

You hire Bill Polian, you are hiring a package deal.

MotherfuckerJones
12-23-2012, 08:21 PM
The problem is that, as already has been pointed out, Bill Polian is going to be bringing in Chris Polian to take over when he retires.

Maybe not well see

BigRedChief
12-23-2012, 08:30 PM

Chris' job will be to keep players in house and to hit a few singles anddoubles in the drafts.Bill will draft Barkley, not Geo.

BigRedChief
12-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Polian is a bad choice.maybe bit it also seems to be a "Clark" pick to me for GM for some reason.

BossChief
12-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Bill will draft Barkley, not Geo.

I love it when people post their opinion as if it were a fact.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Wow. You made this up...I hope right?

AussieChiefsFan
12-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Bill will draft Barkley, not Geo.You really think? Barkley dropping down boards like a rock.

ROYC75
12-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Maybe not well see

Uh, yes he will.

ROYC75
12-23-2012, 09:32 PM

:shake:

Oh Lord, I hope not.

ROYC75
12-23-2012, 09:35 PM

Oh my .........:eek:

CaliforniaChief
12-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Wow. You made this up...I hope right?

I'm offended. I would hope that people here would know that I couldn't come up with something like that. LMAO Nope, "Real True Fans of Johnson County" quotes.

BossChief
12-23-2012, 09:38 PM

Polian is a bad choice.
This happens to me quite a bit. I post a bunch of reasons I wouldn't shit on a hire and people think it is my top choice. Polian is about #3 on my list of hopeful GMs. To me, my top choice is to hire Bill Cowher as the hc FIRST and let him handling a GM/personnel guy he knows he can work with that has an eye for talent. Second would be Marc Ross because he has identified talent properly over the last few years, but I would be afraid he would want to change things too much and overlook some of the pieces we do have in place. He is also a big ? In other areas (signing players, hiring coaches etc) and might make a big mistake in those areas.

Polian has shown the propensity to identify good quarterbacks and to be pretty good at getting quality pieces to surround them and IMO that's what we need.
The problem is that, as already has been pointed
out, Bill Polian is going to be bringing in Chris Polian to take over when he retires.

That's a double edged sword. On one side he would be handing off (more than likely for at least 3 years) to Chris who has been underwhelming. On the other side, he would be motivated to set the team up so that his kid could succeed. For all we know, Chris has learned some valuable lessons through his failures and won't repeat them and be better for it.

Likely? Not really. Possible? Yes.

If this team drafts Geno and hires a quality coaching staff, it is set up for a quick turnaround.

mcaj22
12-23-2012, 09:39 PM
yea Polian does the big school 4 year QB thing so a lot of you are going to hate ole Bill and his young dumb son Chris right out of the gate

Id honestly just rather Pioli fuck it up another year than knowing we'd have 4 years of Polian and 4 more years of his rat fuck idiot son

mcaj22
12-23-2012, 09:41 PM
This happens to me quite a bit. I post a bunch of reasons I wouldn't shit on a hire and people think it is my top choice. Polian is about #3 on my list of hopeful GMs. To me, my top choice is to hire Bill Cowher as the hc FIRST and let him handling a GM/personnel guy he knows he can work with that has an eye for talent. Second would be Marc Ross because he has identified talent properly over the last few years, but I would be afraid he would want to change things too much and overlook some of the pieces we do have in place. He is also a big ? In other areas (signing players, hiring coaches etc) and might make a big mistake in those areas.

Polian has shown the propensity to identify good quarterbacks and to be pretty good at getting quality pieces to surround them and IMO that's what we need.

That's a double edged sword. On one side he would be handing off (more than likely for at least 3 years) to Chris who has been underwhelming. On the other side, he would be motivated to set the team up so that his kid could succeed. For all we know, Chris has learned some valuable lessons through his failures and won't repeat them and be better for it.

Likely? Not really. Possible? Yes.

If this team drafts Geno and hires a quality coaching staff, it is set up for a quick turnaround.

This is like saying Scott Pioli got humbled and learned valuable lessons of his time here for when he goes to another NFL team to do whatever

right. Chris Polian will draft crappy players, like he did in Indy. We will be ****ed for talent for years

BigBeauford
12-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Geno Smith is a senior who is getting a degree in something other than parks and recreation or liberal arts study. Hopefully that means something.

Hootie
12-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Geno Smith is a senior who is getting a degree in something other than parks and recreation or liberal arts study. Hopefully that means something.

he's a scholar and a perfectionist; it's well documented

he's also an absolute student of the game and is obsessed with film study

the dude is a no brainer

KurtCobain
12-23-2012, 09:54 PM
he's a scholar and a perfectionist; it's well documented

he's also an absolute student of the game and is obsessed with film study

the dude is a no brainer

So what's the knock?

DaWolf
12-23-2012, 10:02 PM
maybe bit it also seems to be a "Clark" pick to me for GM for some reason.

Well remember, Chris Polian was on the short list last time along with Pioli and Dominik. Polian elected to stay in Indy and I don't believe ever interviewed. We went with the first choice, Pioli, and Dominik stayed in Tampa. So yes, I think Polian intrigues Clark.

That said, I would be very wary. The guy (Chris) was horrible in Indy, and after getting fired, the best he could do, even with all of his dads connections, was to land an area scout job with the Falcons.

Be very afraid...

BossChief
12-23-2012, 10:03 PM
So what's the knock?

Team win loss record, system he played in and skin color.

Hootie
12-23-2012, 10:05 PM
So what's the knock?

no freaking clue

RGIII isn't a good example

the year Cam entered the draft...at this time...he was thought of as a late 1st day pick...2nd or 3rd round maybe.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Geno goes #1. The "experts" haven't caught up to the fact analyzing the draft is different now than it was 5-10 years ago...

Now it's such a heavy QB league and now with the rookie wage scale in place...QB's are going to keep going higher, and higher, and higher and no one is going to worried if they waste a 1st on a Locker when teams consistently waste a 1st on Tyson Jackson's anyways and it no longer costs an arm, a leg, and 5 years of bottom dwelling.

You simple just rinse, wash, repeat until you find a Russel Wilson.

RunKC
12-23-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm wondering what HC Polian would hire if he came here? Surely a guy who is proven.

BigBeauford
12-23-2012, 10:09 PM
So what's the knock?

I really only see one potential hang up, a small one that really doesnt relate to Geno, but where we are as a society, and in particular the midwest. People not in the know about Geno Smith might take a look at him based on his skin color, and assume that a) black quarterbacks cannot have success in the NFL or b) he is a run first qb or incorporates that heavily in his game. The midwest is full of fans who are still fixated on old fashioned smash mouth football and simply think a great defense, great running game, and a game manager win championships. Geno will represent a transition into a brave new world that keeps up witb current NFL trends and I hope our front office doesnt pander to the old school.

DaWolf
12-23-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm wondering what HC Polian would hire if he came here? Surely a guy who is proven.

Better not be Caldwell...

Chiefshrink
12-23-2012, 10:29 PM
I know that Russ Ball's name was talked about awhile back and seemed like a pretty promising guy that would be new young blood with an eye for talent. Your thoughts.

Chiefshrink
12-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Better not be Caldwell...

Amen !

RunKC
12-23-2012, 10:34 PM
I really think if Polian is hired, he's not going to go for a new first time HC. He wants to win in the next 2 or 3 years, so getting a coach with experience would be his route.

I can really see Polian going after a guy like Gruden.

KCDC
12-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Polian = Pioli

Dunerdr
12-24-2012, 01:48 AM
Polian, Pioli, hooked on phonics tells me theyre almost the same, pass.

Micjones
12-24-2012, 01:58 AM

Not entirely.
Remember something like 20 GM's polled said they would've taken Leaf.

I don't want Polian, but only because his best days are behind him.
The man is 69 years old.

I'd prefer a Marc Ross. Or a Dennis Hickey.

Sorter
12-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Not entirely.
Remember something like 20 GM's polled said they would've taken Leaf.

I don't want Polian, but only because his best days are behind him.
The man is 69 years old.

I'd prefer a Marc Ross. Or a Dennis Hickey.

http://www.pohrani.com/f/15/Zi/362gyaxA/1354022872226.gif

P.S. I fucking love this GIF. You fuckers are welcome. :)

In58men
12-24-2012, 02:03 AM

P.S. I ****ing love this GIF. You ****ers are welcome. :)

I will marry her

Sorter
12-24-2012, 02:04 AM
I will marry her

You wait in fucking line!!!

RunKC
12-24-2012, 04:51 PM
If Polian is hired, I think Vic Fangio will be a guy who he would consider because of their past experience.

Fangio was DC for Polian's teams in both Carolina and Indianapolis.

BryanBusby
12-24-2012, 04:55 PM
I really think if Polian is hired, he's not going to go for a new first time HC. He wants to win in the next 2 or 3 years, so getting a coach with experience would be his route.

I can really see Polian going after a guy like Gruden.

Gruden wouldn't work for Polian.

Titty Meat
12-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Fangino sucked in both places and is only good in San Fran because he has the next Derrick Thomas. No thanks.

OnTheWarpath15
12-24-2012, 05:02 PM
So what's the knock?

He's black.

Seriously.

He's a much better prospect than Sam Bradford, who also played against "Big 12" defenses. (one of the so-called knocks on Geno)

These same people slobbered all over Bradford.

People don't like him because he's black. Simple as that.

Imon Yourside
12-24-2012, 05:03 PM
He's black.

Seriously.

He's a much better prospect than Sam Bradford, who also played against "Big 12" defenses. (one of the so-called knocks on Geno)

I'm beginning to think this is the main problem, no other reason to really diss on him.

mikey23545
12-24-2012, 05:10 PM
I wish we had an owner that knew football and didn't need to bring in a consultant all the damn time. Freaking trust fund babies.

my opinion since 2008

"After graduating from St. Mark's School of Texas, he finished first in his class at Southern Methodist University in 1987, where he was a captain of SMU's nationally-ranked soccer team and a two-time Academic All-American. Hunt earned a degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance. He was a two-time recipient of the university's highest academic honor, the Provost Award for Outstanding Scholar. He also received a Masters of Business Administration from SMU.

Hunt began his business career as an analyst with Goldman Sachs before starting the firm. He is married to Tavia Shackles, a former Miss Missouri Teen USA and Miss Kansas USA. The couple have three children."

Clark's and idiot.

CaliforniaChief
12-24-2012, 05:15 PM
He's black.

Seriously.

Absolutely agree with this. Geno Smith is the real deal. He has and is EVERYTHING we could possibly want in a franchise QB and more.

I've posted this article before, but here it is again:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/sports/ncaafootball/geno-smith-and-the-art-of-football-at-west-virginia.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Barring an absolute miracle of a debacle win in Denver, a tragedy, or an idiot in the front office of the Chiefs, he's our new QB.

Fap city.

MotherfuckerJones
12-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Polian = Pioli

Not at all! Polian drafts a franchise QB and isn't a fraud

Pasta Little Brioni
12-24-2012, 06:02 PM
He's black.

Seriously.

Absolutely. You have people making shit up like he isn't a pocket passer, can't read a defense, not smart enough. It's absolute hillbilly racism. The guy is one of the better passers coming out in the last several years and it's sad that some can't see it because of their bigotry.

BryanBusby
12-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Well uh you see he's black and obviously that means he likes to run (see: getting away from the cops speed).

Pasta Little Brioni
12-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Well uh you see he's black and obviously that means he likes to run (see: getting away from the cops speed).

Definately a Campbell, Akili Smith, Leftwich kind of QB/dumbfucks

Rain Man
12-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Didn't Polian trade Marshall Faulk for a 2nd and 5th round draft choice or something like that?

I remember even at the time thinking, "Why didn't the Chiefs beat that offer?" It was insanely cheap even before Faulk went all Hall of Fame on St. Louis.

BryanBusby
12-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Definately a Campbell, Akili Smith, Leftwich kind of QB/dumbfucks
Ya. Also forgot to mention, that although there's plenty to discount this completely: He's really dumb too

Easy 6
12-24-2012, 06:26 PM

P.S. I ****ing love this GIF. You ****ers are welcome. :)

I want to flip her little butt all over my bed.

In58men
12-24-2012, 06:43 PM
You wait in ****ing line!!!

I will, right in front of you.

BWillie
12-24-2012, 08:09 PM
You guys just love looking for and reposting shit that pisses you off. I just don't understand that.

Some ppl like to validate their self worth to themselves. Make them feel smart and important I guess. ... Only thing I can come up with

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-26-2012, 09:33 AM
We're drafting a black man. Deal with it.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-26-2012, 09:36 AM

Polian is a bad choice.

He is. But Arians is an excellent choice.

12-26-2012, 09:59 AM

He is looking for a GM job to set his son up, who is just ****ing terrible.

and I just don't get why any owner would agree to something like that. You don't fucking inherit the GM role because your father set you up. You earn it because you are great at what you do. Chris has already proven he sucks as a GM.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-26-2012, 10:05 AM
I really, really, like Arians for the coaching job here. But if it means Polian, I would sacrifice him in a heartbeat.

Ebolapox
12-26-2012, 10:16 AM
hell not to polian and his dumbass kid.

BigMeatballDave
12-26-2012, 11:11 AM

Who posted this thread?

htismaqe
12-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Who posted this thread?

Bronco troll...

CoMoChief
12-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Did Polian not draft Jim Kelly?

Hoover
12-26-2012, 11:28 AM
I don't think its fair to say that Polian isn't a good drafter. The last few Colts drafts he was in charge of were horrible, but he had a hell of a run from 1998 to 2004.

Manning - 1998
E. James - 1999
R. Wayne - 2001
Freeney - 2002
D. Clark - 2003
B. Sanders - 2004

htismaqe
12-26-2012, 11:32 AM

No, he didn't.

But he did draft Kerry Collins, who played in a Super Bowl and passed for 40K yards in the NFL.

BigMeatballDave
12-26-2012, 11:34 AM

He did not. Polian was hired in 86.

-King-
12-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Who posted this thread?

Not really talking about the thread. Moreso the "I just saw this on facebook!!! Look at how stupid this person is!!! This just makes me so angry!!!" People.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
12-26-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't think its fair to say that Polian isn't a good drafter. The last few Colts drafts he was in charge of were horrible, but he had a hell of a run from 1998 to 2004.

Manning - 1998
E. James - 1999
R. Wayne - 2001
Freeney - 2002
D. Clark - 2003
B. Sanders - 2004Chris polian was in charge of the last few drafts.
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe
12-26-2012, 11:53 AM
Chris polian was in charge of the last few drafts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Which is THE biggest reason not to hire Polian.

Polian wants to setup his son, who SUCKS.

BossChief
12-26-2012, 12:39 PM

Manning - 1998
E. James - 1999
R. Wayne - 2001
Freeney - 2002
D. Clark - 2003
B. Sanders - 2004
Thats the upside to Polian. He understands how to win in the NFL. You draft your quarterback and then use your resources to get as many weapons as you can to help the kid develop.

Polian drafted Manning and then drafted a bunch of pieces to help him become a dominant force.

I have no doubts that he would do the same thing with Geno Smith.

Pairing him with a QB guy like Bruce Arians would be another way of helping our quarterbacks development.

Hoover
12-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I understand the Chris Polian hate, but the old man's track record is pretty damn good.

Gravedigger
12-26-2012, 01:54 PM
I love how everyone bags on Polian and yet he did what his job entailed. Every "dynasty" in the NFL's history, Bears, Steelers, 49ers, and Cowboys goes away when the QB goes away and the Patriots will be the exact same. The Colts are not in the exact same category of those great teams, but I can't think of another team, outside of New England and Pittsburgh that shared more success from 2000-2010 with regards to consistent performance from the team. When Terry Bradshaw moved on the Steelers had down years, when Joe Montana left the 49ers had Steve Young but after those two the team went downhill, Troy Aikman retired early and the Cowboys went from America's team to overrated over the course of about five years. The point is that even though the Colts are not those teams the GM came in for the allotted amount of time to turn everything around and make them a winning team. That's all you can ask from your GM, is to get you wins through putting the best product out on the field that he can. I think Polian, the more he sits out (just like Cowher Gruden Billick) the game will slowly but surely pass him by. I would rather get him this year and give him the same four years we gave Pioli to see what he can set up so maybe... just maybe, the Chiefs will be placed in the upper echelon of teams once more. Not every team out there has amazing drafts top to bottom, but somehow they make it work behind a great coach, a great QB, and a serviceable enough team that they can win.

-King-
12-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Which is THE biggest reason not to hire Polian.

Polian wants to setup his son, who SUCKS.

I agree, if Polian wants to bring his son, then no way. But if he's coming alone, then I don't mind it at all.

-King-
12-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Thats the upside to Polian. He understands how to win in the NFL. You draft your quarterback and then use your resources to get as many weapons as you can to help the kid develop.

Polian drafted Manning and then drafted a bunch of pieces to help him become a dominant force.

Pairing him with a QB guy like Bruce Arians would be another way of helping our quarterbacks development.
This.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-26-2012, 02:41 PM
"After graduating from St. Mark's School of Texas, he finished first in his class at Southern Methodist University in 1987, where he was a captain of SMU's nationally-ranked soccer team and a two-time Academic All-American. Hunt earned a degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance. He was a two-time recipient of the university's highest academic honor, the Provost Award for Outstanding Scholar. He also received a Masters of Business Administration from SMU.

Hunt began his business career as an analyst with Goldman Sachs before starting the firm. He is married to Tavia Shackles, a former Miss Missouri Teen USA and Miss Kansas USA. The couple have three children."

Clark's and idiot.

Nobody said he was stupid, he just doesn't know football.

SAUTO
12-26-2012, 02:42 PM

LMAO

i think you are actually wrong on both counts

-King-
12-26-2012, 02:44 PM

That's why he delegates the football responsibilities to the GM. That's why he went and got the best GM candidate in 2009 and made him the highest paid GM.

Nothing wrong with that. I'd rather have an owner that lets his GM do his job than one that micromanages everything. Because most owners have no fucking idea how football teams should be ran.

Ebolapox
12-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I love how everyone bags on Polian and yet he did what his job entailed. Every "dynasty" in the NFL's history, Bears, Steelers, 49ers, and Cowboys goes away when the QB goes away and the Patriots will be the exact same. The Colts are not in the exact same category of those great teams, but I can't think of another team, outside of New England and Pittsburgh that shared more success from 2000-2010 with regards to consistent performance from the team. When Terry Bradshaw moved on the Steelers had down years, when Joe Montana left the 49ers had Steve Young but after those two the team went downhill, Troy Aikman retired early and the Cowboys went from America's team to overrated over the course of about five years. The point is that even though the Colts are not those teams the GM came in for the allotted amount of time to turn everything around and make them a winning team. That's all you can ask from your GM, is to get you wins through putting the best product out on the field that he can. I think Polian, the more he sits out (just like Cowher Gruden Billick) the game will slowly but surely pass him by. I would rather get him this year and give him the same four years we gave Pioli to see what he can set up so maybe... just maybe, the Chiefs will be placed in the upper echelon of teams once more. Not every team out there has amazing drafts top to bottom, but somehow they make it work behind a great coach, a great QB, and a serviceable enough team that they can win.

nepotism is one reason I'm against polian (aka, chris polian). his supporting cast also is a mark against him, there's a reason that, outside of manning, they blew last year.

he's a 'meh' hiring to me. better than current, but not a shoot-the-moon type of hire. not the type of hire that will get us multiple lombardi trophies.

RealSNR
12-26-2012, 02:45 PM

Bree, did you lose a bet with Clay? I can't remember if you did or did not hate McCluster.

whoman69
12-26-2012, 02:51 PM
I don't want to hire Polian knowing that in reality we are hiring his son to do most of the day to day operations. I don't want to hire Kelly knowing that Spurrier got his QB nearly killed trying a similar wide open college offense. I think Saban is the football equivalent of Larry Brown, a guy who needs a new challenge all the time and will not stick it out with KC. I would be too afraid he would quit on us like he did before in the NFL.

htismaqe
12-26-2012, 03:45 PM
I understand the Chris Polian hate, but the old man's track record is pretty damn good.

The problem is that Bill has been open and public about his desire to "set up" his son.

It's not a secret. It's all but inevitable.

You can't hire Bill without Chris. Bill won't take the job.

Coogs
12-26-2012, 03:56 PM
The problem is that Bill has been open and public about his desire to "set up" his son.

htis,

What's the story on Chris? Why is he viewed in such a negative light? Because of the 2-14 season last year?

Mr. Laz
12-26-2012, 04:01 PM
htis,

What's the story on Chris? Why is he viewed in such a negative light? Because of the 2-14 season last year?
i think people believe that Chris started getting more responsibility in the final years that they were with the colts and stuff starting going down hill during that time.

you can read this: http://www.coltsauthority.com/coltzilla-2011-archives/november/is-colts-general-manager-chris-polian-a-toxic-byproduct-of-nepotism.html

Tribal Warfare
12-26-2012, 04:08 PM

And Marty has said that Clark isn't looking for a package deal with Bill and Chris.

BigMeatballDave
12-26-2012, 04:09 PM
And Marty has said that Clark isn't looking for a package deal with Bill and Chris.

Link?

Tribal Warfare
12-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Link?

It's in the SOC thread, I'd link it but I'm typing on a phone so it would be a major pain in the ass

Coogs
12-26-2012, 04:16 PM
i think people believe that Chris started getting more responsibility in the final years that they were with the colts and stuff starting going down hill during that time.

you can read this: http://www.coltsauthority.com/coltzilla-2011-archives/november/is-colts-general-manager-chris-polian-a-toxic-byproduct-of-nepotism.html

Thanks Laz. Pretty good article. Doesn't paint that bad of a picture of Chris.

The Franchise
12-26-2012, 04:16 PM
It's in the SOC thread, I'd link it but I'm typing on a phone so it would be a major pain in the ass

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=9237843&postcount=480

Easy 6
12-26-2012, 04:19 PM

Then **** him, he's not the only qualified guy out there.