PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Earl Thomas vs Eric Berry

mdchiefsfan
12-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I am curious as to who CP thinks is the better safety. I remember Mayock pimping Thomas over Berry at the draft and I'm not so sure he was wrong. What say you?

KCrockaholic
12-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Right now, Thomas.

Hootie
I need another year...not fair because of the 2011 berry injury

AussieChiefsFan
Id say Berry

Mr. Laz
12-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Berry's coverage skills looked much better today

If he improves in coverage then he's a beast so i don't really care about Thomas

I still would like to see how Berry would do at Free Safety ... with his speed and range it could be awesome.

Pasta Little Brioni
Earl didn't blow out his knee from a POS cheap shot.

threebag
I wanted either or. I was more familiar with Thomas being a Big 12er. I just wish Pioli never had control of shit.

KCrockaholic
12-23-2012, 07:51 PM
I think Thomas offers more in coverage, and I think he matches up well against WR's. He's a little faster. But Berry is dominant in the run game. He's really one of the best run stuffing safeties in the league. But right now, I have to give the edge to Thomas.

Ace Gunner
12-23-2012, 07:52 PM
they are both good safeties who are different kind of players. Berry had the season lost, so it's not real good to compare these players. Berry has more range because he's taller/longer arms whereas Thomas is a compact guy.

ThaVirus
12-23-2012, 07:52 PM
I feel like Thomas is better against the pass while Berry is better against the run. Then again, its tough to compare because they're playing two totally different positions. Thomas doesn't get put in man coverage nearly as much as Berry; he plays more of the centerfielder role. Also, maybe Berry shines more against the run because he's often in the box.

I don't know; it's tough to say really. I'd like to see Berry at FS before I could make a proper diagnosis.

Obviously, right now, Thomas would appear to be playing better to a casual fan though. He plays on the better team, with the better defense, and better secondary. He's surrounded by good-great players on defense, particularly in the secondary.

Smed1065
12-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Thomas so far.

WildTurkey
12-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Berry looked to be returning to 2010 form today. He was all over the field and looked good in coverage especially when matched up with Reggie Wayne

AussieChiefsFan
12-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Yea IMO his bad early games this year were all about the ACL. He's much improved recently.

RunKC
12-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Right now Earl Thomas, but man Pete Carroll did a great job getting Kam Chancellor to be the big run stuffing SS.

With we had had someone who could draft like them.

mcaj22
12-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Kam Chancellor, the guy we should have drafted who played with Flowers in college

but ya know

Pioli the idiot

RunKC
12-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Goddamn Kam Chancellor was a great pick. I'd say Seattle is happy with getting Earl Thomas and then this beast in the later rounds.

http://media.lockerdome.com/uploads/274ebdea9a45767bcd220f94e8a81a86_large

keg in kc
12-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Berry looked to be returning to 2010 form today. He was all over the field and looked good in coverage especially when matched up with Reggie WayneYeah, I was about to say this. He looked amazing today.

milkman
12-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I still think Berry has the potential to be one of the best.

I wouldn't trade Berry for Thomas right now.

I would trade Berry-Lewis for Thomas-Chancellor.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-23-2012, 09:07 PM
It's unfair to compare the two since one is coming off an ACL injury and essentially an extension of a rookie season this year.

chiefzilla1501
12-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Berry is playing with no focus. Who could under Romeo?

We won't know what we have in him until we get real coaching. All I know is he was progressing, was lights out against baltimore, then this year he feels like he can freelance.

RunKC
12-23-2012, 09:21 PM
I still think Berry has the potential to be one of the best.

I wouldn't trade Berry for Thomas right now.

I would trade Berry-Lewis for Thomas-Chancellor.

Completely agree.

mcaj22
12-23-2012, 09:26 PM
i just dont see how Pioli can pass on guys like Chancellor, TJ Ward, etc year after year

he does the same with LBers, Bowman, Sean Lee, etc. Just ****ing passes right over them so he can draft a bunch of oline, dline or TEs to stroke his ego philosophy rather than the pure athletic mid round BPA talent sitting on the ****ing board plain as day

sedated
12-23-2012, 09:30 PM
I remember when the rumor started that KC might take Thomas over Berry in that draft, and chiefsplanet had an epic meltdown thread. Shows what "we" know...

Sorter
12-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Should have traded the fuck up and nabbed both. A Thomas + Berry combo is > any combo with Chancellor, as much as I love that guy (hit tonight was fantastic).

Certainly beats having Arenas and DMC on this roster.

Hammock Parties
12-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Earl Thomas and Eric Berry are having identical seasons according to PFF.

Except Berry has been better in run defense, and Thomas has SEVENTEEN missed tackles.

I'll take Berry.

Sorter
12-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Earl Thomas and Eric Berry are having identical seasons according to PFF.

Except Berry has been better in run defense, and Thomas has SEVENTEEN missed tackles.

I'll take Berry.

I'l take both and we can both kick DMC's ass out the fucking door.

Also, goodbye Arenas.

Saccopoo
12-24-2012, 01:12 AM
Should have traded the **** up and nabbed both. A Thomas + Berry combo is > any combo with Chancellor, as much as I love that guy (hit tonight was fantastic).

Certainly beats having Arenas and DMC on this roster.

There was no freaking way we were going to trade up into the early teens (#14) to take Thomas. Look at how much Atlanta gave up to go get Julio Jones.

However...

Hmmm...

Could have had Okung in the first (who drove Aldon Smith around the field all game long tonight), Beadles in the second (who made the rookie All-NFL team and looks like an All-Pro right now), Morgan Burnett in the third (current SS starter for the Packers), Dennis Pitta in the fourth (7 TD's and nearly 700 yards so far in 2012), Marshall Newhouse or Matt Tennant in the fifth (starter at RT and solid roster guy who would most likely be our starting C), and actually had a sixth and seventh rounder if Pioli doesn't continue to trade up for broke dick or worthless tight ends year after year.

But that's just me and my wacky "who I like in a given draft" shit.

Damn if I don't love the hindsight shit.

Sorter
12-24-2012, 01:13 AM
"You must spread some reputation around ..."

God dammit sacc.

Saccopoo
12-24-2012, 01:53 AM
"You must spread some reputation around ..."

God dammit sacc.

http://www.lolneed.com/wp-content/uploads/gifs/funny-gifs-467.gif

NJChiefsFan
12-24-2012, 01:56 AM
It's hard to judge with the injury and all. I would say if Berry didn't get hurt and the gap between 2010 and how he is playing now was the same great play, I give the edge to Berry. He is a little weaker in coverage, but I think I would take Berry if given a choice. Chancellor and coaching are two advantages Thomas has had so far. Not to mention not being taken out by a cheap shot that set you back a year and a half.

htismaqe
12-24-2012, 11:50 AM
There was no freaking way we were going to trade up into the early teens (#14) to take Thomas. Look at how much Atlanta gave up to go get Julio Jones.

However...

Hmmm...

Could have had Okung in the first (who drove Aldon Smith around the field all game long tonight), Beadles in the second (who made the rookie All-NFL team and looks like an All-Pro right now), Morgan Burnett in the third (current SS starter for the Packers), Dennis Pitta in the fourth (7 TD's and nearly 700 yards so far in 2012), Marshall Newhouse or Matt Tennant in the fifth (starter at RT and solid roster guy who would most likely be our starting C), and actually had a sixth and seventh rounder if Pioli doesn't continue to trade up for broke dick or worthless tight ends year after year.

But that's just me and my wacky "who I like in a given draft" shit.

Damn if I don't love the hindsight shit.

Still don't want Okung.

Marcellus
12-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Pretty sure Berry has graded out as the best safety in the entire NFL the last 4 weeks according to PFF and that is with his targets going up meaning teams have tried to abuse him recently and failed.

Saccopoo
12-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Still don't want Okung.

Eh...

The guy is destroying people right now. He absolutely dominated Aldon Smith last night.

htismaqe
12-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Eh...

The guy is destroying people right now. He absolutely dominated Aldon Smith last night.

Branden Albert is better.

Saccopoo
12-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Branden Albert is better.

Okay...

htismaqe
12-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Okay...

To this point he is.

Okung has played well the last few weeks but he's on a team where EVERYBODY is playing lights out.

And he blocks for a real QB that has pocket presence.

Albert has been one of the better LTs in the AFC while being surrounded by shit.

Easy 6
12-24-2012, 12:42 PM
All i know is that a Berry/Chancellor combo would give me the jimps.

That Kam man, what a beast, a linebacker playing safety.

Saccopoo
12-24-2012, 02:15 PM
All i know is that a Berry/Chancellor combo would give me the jimps.

That Kam man, what a beast, a linebacker playing safety.

Honestly, they'd get raped in the passing game.

Berry needs a guy like Fresno State's Phillip Thomas behind him. Could be had in the seond/third round area of the 2013 draft. And if you don't know who Phillip Thomas is, you should.

Saccopoo
12-24-2012, 02:24 PM
To this point he is.

Okung has played well the last few weeks but he's on a team where EVERYBODY is playing lights out.

And he blocks for a real QB that has pocket presence.

Albert has been one of the better LTs in the AFC while being surrounded by shit.

Okung is locking guys up independent of the QB. He absolutely stonewalled Smith last night.

However, like I said, the point is moot and I think that Albert has FINALLY progressed to the point where it would be assinine to replace him. Now, he'll probably test the free agent market and if someone makes him a ridiculous offer then you've got to look at moving on, but I think that if you dangle the "new and real QB" thing in front of him we might get a Winston level deal done with him and keep him here.

I'm more worried about the guard situation than I am about Albert at this point. Both Allen and Asamoah are going to have to make serious strides this off-season and be the starters that their draft pick status says they should be.

But I do agree that having a real QB with pocket presence is going to make these guys a lot better than what they've shown the past couple of years.

Albert, Allen, Hudson, Asamoah, Winston

is a pretty solid and young offensive line and playing together is huge in terms of O-line production. I think we'll see some really good things out of this line next year, especially if we get a real QB like Geno operating behind them.

KChiefs1
12-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Thomas....Pioli's picks have been shit.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Pretty sure Berry has graded out as the best safety in the entire NFL the last 4 weeks according to PFF and that is with his targets going up meaning teams have tried to abuse him recently and failed.

It really does show on the field too. He's looked amazing the last 2 games.

Sorter
12-27-2012, 07:10 PM
It really does show on the field too. He's looked amazing the last 2 games.

He really did look solid against Wayne in coverage.

Ralphy Boy
12-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Kam Chancellor, the guy we should have drafted who played with Flowers in college

but ya know

Pioli the idiot

Some of us wanted Kam desperately to pair with Berry.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-27-2012, 07:50 PM
He really did look solid against Wayne in coverage.

Lock down against one of the best recievers in football.....a safety that's also a beast in the box defending the run :eek: He's baaaaaaack