PDA

View Full Version : Life The Chiefsplanet 2013 Life Goal/Special Project Thread

Rain Man
12-31-2012, 06:25 PM
In my "How was your 2012" thread, it seemed like the most common areas where we didn't make personal progress last year were meeting life goals, completing special projects, and improving inner peace and happiness.

Well, we can't do much about the inner peace and happiness issue, but maybe we can do something along the lines of the fitness thread related to special projects and life goals.

If you want to participate, list 1 or 2 or 3 things you hope to accomplish this year. They can be as humble or as grand as you like, but you'll be responsible for meeting them here. Maybe we'll do one of those little thermometer things to measure our total progress.

As for me, my goals are:

1. Lose 15 pounds and run a marathon.
2. Get Sandbox Simulations launched commercially and begin making revenue.
3. Get a rough draft of a book completed. (Not sure if fiction or nonfiction at this point.)
4. Reach a particular revenue goal in my company (confidential, but I can update based on percentages).

Buck
12-31-2012, 06:30 PM
1. Lose ~20 lbs
2. Get back to school and begin the COTA program (already enrolled)
3. Get a raise at my current position / find a new job within my company

Bugeater
12-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Before I list mine, what will the repercussions be if we should fail to meet these goals?

Buck
12-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Before I list mine, what will the repercussions be if we should fail to meet these goals?

It will be 2014.

Strongside
12-31-2012, 06:34 PM
1. Lose 30 lbs and keep it off
2. Make an honest effort to devote myself to being outdoors more
3. Become an avid Mountain Bike enthusiast
4. Improve my golf game
5. Achieve financial goals

teedubya
12-31-2012, 06:34 PM
1. Use IFTTT.com and Evernote together more effectively for organization of data.
2. Finish and publish an eBook.
3. Lose 50lbs
4. Have sex with 10 hookers
5. Stay disease free

bevischief
12-31-2012, 06:35 PM
In my "How was your 2012" thread, it seemed like the most common areas where we didn't make personal progress last year were meeting life goals, completing special projects, and improving inner peace and happiness.

Well, we can't do much about the inner peace and happiness issue, but maybe we can do something along the lines of the fitness thread related to special projects and life goals.

If you want to participate, list 1 or 2 or 3 things you hope to accomplish this year. They can be as humble or as grand as you like, but you'll be responsible for meeting them here. Maybe we'll do one of those little thermometer things to measure our total progress.

As for me, my goals are:

3. Get a rough draft of a book completed. (Not sure if fiction or nonfiction at this point.)
4. Reach a particular revenue goal in my company (confidential, but I can update based on percentages).

Sandbox Simulations I know a GM who wants to play. He has been asking about this since I told him about it since I moved up here last year.

HonestChieffan
12-31-2012, 06:35 PM
170 by Setember 1. Down 11 since Dec 7 and totally committed

Strongside
12-31-2012, 06:36 PM
1. Use IFTTT.com and Evernote together more effectively for organization of data.
2. Finish and publish an eBook.
3. Lose 50lbs
4. Have sex with 10 hookers
5. Stay disease free

Just go ahead and knock #4 out tomorrow. It will be a day for the ages.

Buck
12-31-2012, 06:36 PM
1. Lose ~20 lbs
2. Get back to school and begin the COTA program (already enrolled)
3. Get a raise at my current position / find a new job within my company

I would like to add:

4. Get a cat and be a good pet owner. (This is currently in progress)

Spott
12-31-2012, 06:38 PM
I hope to continue going to the gym and going running at least 3-4 times a week like I have been able to do the last 15 months. I'm down below 160 now so I don't need to lose anymore weight. I also want to own my home(without a mortgage) by the end of 2013 which I should be able to accomplish.

I also want to have two chicks at one time. :)

cdcox
12-31-2012, 06:44 PM
1. Get to 170 lbs (not sure how much I need to lose, maybe 20 lbs)
2. Get at least 6 hours of sleep at least 6 nights a week.
3. Get Sandbox Simulations launched commercially and begin making revenue

Bugeater
12-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Ok, despite not knowing the consequences of failure, I'm going to list three goals.

1. Log 1,000 miles on my bike. Should be pretty easy to accomplish as long as my bad knee holds up.
2. Lose 25 lbs. Fulfilling objective #1 should take care of that.
3. Build the media/hobby center in my basement that I've been planning for years. This one is the longshot that has me worried.

Molitoth
12-31-2012, 07:07 PM
1) finish recording/mixing my bands album.
2) have lots of sex with wife

That will be good.

cdcox
12-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Ooooo dang. I should put finishing the epic bathroom remodel on my list. Don't tell my wife.

Buck
12-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Ok, despite not knowing the consequences of failure, I'm going to list three goals.

1. Log 1,000 miles on my bike. Should be pretty easy to accomplish as long as my bad knee holds up.
3. Build the media/hobby center in my basement that I've been planning for years. This one is the longshot that has me worried.

If you want I can come out and supervise / complain about your shitty guest bed.

TribalElder
12-31-2012, 07:11 PM
Walk my dog every day possible
Sell my other house and kill some of my debt off
lose some weight
earn more certifications

Bugeater
12-31-2012, 07:20 PM
If you want I can come out and supervise / complain about your shitty guest bed.
We actually have a much nicer bed in the spare bedroom now. But if you come out, I'm putting your ass to work.

keg in kc
12-31-2012, 07:21 PM
1. Finish the first draft of the shitty novel I began in 2011. Then start working on a new novel, which hopefully won't be as shitty.
2. Get my eating under control, drop 15-25 pounds and don't re-gain it all in October and November (I do this literally every year).
3. Bike 3000 miles.
4. Run 500 miles.
5. Work towards 100 pushups/day.
6. Stop being passive aggressive regarding work and financial problems, lose the victim mentality and make proactive changes.
7. Work on improving my self-image and self-confidence.
8. Realize and remember that these changes will need to be done gradually and in small steps, don't act like I can be a completely different person after midnight tonight and then get discouraged when I've failed by noon tomorrow. Try to keep to small, achievable goals. An hour of writing. Running 3 times a week during the winter. Don't go out to eat.

Rain Man
12-31-2012, 07:26 PM

Public ridicule and a low self-esteem.

But by golly, you can do it! You can meet those goals! And this thread is here to keep pushing you on those days when you just can't eat that last potato chip.*

* - The potato chip thing is a hypothetical example of how this thread would help someone if their goal was to eat 100,000 potato chips in 2013.

Buck
12-31-2012, 07:28 PM
We actually have a much nicer bed in the spare bedroom now. But if you come out, I'm putting your ass to work.

Deal. As long as I get paid at least $20/hr.

Bugeater
12-31-2012, 07:30 PM
3. Bike 3000 miles.

:eek: I thought about setting my bar at 2,000, but I'd need work, weather and health to all fall in my favor. 3,000 is just insane.

keg in kc
12-31-2012, 07:37 PM
:eek: I thought about setting my bar at 2,000, but I'd need work, weather and health to all fall in my favor. 3,000 is just insane.Assuming I can be back on my bike in March and stay healthy through November that would be 9 months at 333 miles/month. Definitely doable. I think 500 miles jogging will be harder for me, although I'm already doing 35 minutes 3 times/week now, going up to 37:30 tomorrow. I'm very slow right now, I don't think I've gone over 3 miles yet, but as my weight drops and the temps rise my distance will go up. This is probably the best shape I've ever been in in the month of January, even if I'm about 15 pounds heavier than I should be (I actually dropped below 200 this year for the first time since the 90s, I'm back at 215 now :( )

Strongside
12-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Assuming I can be back on my bike in March and stay healthy through November that would be 9 months at 333 miles/month. Definitely doable. I think 500 miles jogging will be harder for me, although I'm already doing 35 minutes 3 times/week now, going up to 37:30 tomorrow. I'm very slow right now, I don't think I've gone over 3 miles yet, but as my weight drops and the temps rise my distance will go up. This is probably the best shape I've ever been in in the month of January, even if I'm about 15 pounds heavier than I should be (I actually dropped below 200 this year for the first time since the 90s, I'm back at 215 now :( )

Gah...that is a lot. I can't jog at all...old football injuries have plagued my back and they rear their ugly head when I try to jog for more than a mile...it sucks. I'm only 27, too...so the future is bright for my spine. I'm holding out hope that cyborg technology exists in the near future and I can afford it.

Fire Me Boy!
01-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Eat out less and cook at home more. I'm a pretty decent cook, and I can prepare many meals as well or better than the restaurants available to me. Add to that it's cheaper and I can generally make it healthier, it's a win-win.

BlackHelicopters
01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Lose weight. Stay dedicated. Stay out of prison.

keg in kc
02-01-2013, 02:33 AM
1. Finish the first draft of the shitty novel I began in 2011. Then start working on a new novel, which hopefully won't be as shitty.
2. Get my eating under control, drop 15-25 pounds and don't re-gain it all in October and November (I do this literally every year).
3. Bike 3000 miles.
4. Run 500 miles.
5. Work towards 100 pushups/day.
6. Stop being passive aggressive regarding work and financial problems, lose the victim mentality and make proactive changes.
7. Work on improving my self-image and self-confidence.
8. Realize and remember that these changes will need to be done gradually and in small steps, don't act like I can be a completely different person after midnight tonight and then get discouraged when I've failed by noon tomorrow. Try to keep to small, achievable goals. An hour of writing. Running 3 times a week during the winter. Don't go out to eat.So, status update after the first month:

I wrote every day in January. This is the longest string of consecutive days I've ever had. My goal was 25 pages for the month, and I wrote 28. I'm treating it like exercise, basically, working my way up slowly. I want to continue the streak and write 50 in February. I feel like I'm ready to dive into the re-write now.

I didn't quite make 3 times/week running, had some knee problems in the middle of the month. Ran a total of 11 times. Still feel like I'm doing fine there.

I did not go out to eat the entire month. However, I'm still eating a lot of junk food and candy and drinking too much soda. So there's room for improvement. For February, the goal is to cut back on baked goods and sugar. I am allowing myself to go out to eat once this month, on my birthday.

I haven't started my push-ups yet. I really need to get on that one.

I have made some progress with work. It's a learning experience, but I think I'm doing better. I've been somewhat aggressive in communicating with new management, and that's difficult for me with my tendency toward anxiety, but I think it will have long-term benefits.

All-in-all, has to be the best I've ever done with resolutions. So far.

DaneMcCloud
02-01-2013, 02:36 AM
1. Gain 30 pounds
2. Quit school (Fuck that shit)
3. Tell the boss his wife is a whore and sucks at anal

wazu
02-01-2013, 06:20 AM
Gah...that is a lot. I can't jog at all...old football injuries have plagued my back and they rear their ugly head when I try to jog for more than a mile...it sucks. I'm only 27, too...so the future is bright for my spine. I'm holding out hope that cyborg technology exists in the near future and I can afford it.

Try barefoot running.

AussieChiefsFan
02-01-2013, 06:21 AM
Gah...that is a lot. I can't jog at all...old football injuries have plagued my back and they rear their ugly head when I try to jog for more than a mile...it sucks. I'm only 27, too...so the future is bright for my spine. I'm holding out hope that cyborg technology exists in the near future and I can afford it.How long did you play football?

DaKCMan AP
02-01-2013, 07:46 AM
I'll put these in for the remaining 11 months:

1. Maintain Awesomeness.
2. Get elected to executive council in an organization for which I volunteer.
3. Build/maintain close(r) relationships.

Groves
02-01-2013, 08:40 AM
What a total coincidence.

1. Get Sandbox Simulations launched commercially and begin making revenue

Rain Man
02-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Okay, time for updates people. How are we doing?

Here are my goals and progress for January:

1. Lose 15 pounds and run a marathon - Lost 2.8 pounds and have had some good runs as my foot continues to heal. I'm happy with this progress so far.

2. Get Sandbox Simulations launched commercially and begin making revenue - Earning a living continues to pose challenges for me and cdcox. We're making progress, but slower than we're hoping.

3. Get a rough draft of a book completed. (Not sure if fiction or nonfiction at this point.) - I was on a business trip and had a great breakthrough in how to structure my planned novel, which I will refer to as the Greatest American Road Novel Since Kerouac (GARNSK). I wrote about 2,500 words this month and am initially happy with it, though I need to spruce it up.

4. Reach a particular revenue goal in my company (confidential, but I can update based on percentages). 8% of the way to my goal, which is right on target, but February is going to be rough. It's quiet out there.

Rain Man
02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
So, status update after the first month:

I wrote every day in January. This is the longest string of consecutive days I've ever had. My goal was 25 pages for the month, and I wrote 28. I'm treating it like exercise, basically, working my way up slowly. I want to continue the streak and write 50 in February. I feel like I'm ready to dive into the re-write now.

I didn't quite make 3 times/week running, had some knee problems in the middle of the month. Ran a total of 11 times. Still feel like I'm doing fine there.

I did not go out to eat the entire month. However, I'm still eating a lot of junk food and candy and drinking too much soda. So there's room for improvement. For February, the goal is to cut back on baked goods and sugar. I am allowing myself to go out to eat once this month, on my birthday.

I haven't started my push-ups yet. I really need to get on that one.

I have made some progress with work. It's a learning experience, but I think I'm doing better. I've been somewhat aggressive in communicating with new management, and that's difficult for me with my tendency toward anxiety, but I think it will have long-term benefits.

All-in-all, has to be the best I've ever done with resolutions. So far.

Nice work! We should keep pushing each other on the writing.

Fire Me Boy!
02-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Eat out less and cook at home more. I'm a pretty decent cook, and I can prepare many meals as well or better than the restaurants available to me. Add to that it's cheaper and I can generally make it healthier, it's a win-win.

I modified mine a bit, but it's actually in support of the original. I have to cook something I've never cooked before. Tonight, it's African peanut stew.

ptlyon
02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
My goal in life is to at some point die.

I'm pretty sure I can achieve this goal.

Fire Me Boy!
02-01-2013, 01:45 PM
My goal in life is to at some point die.

I'm pretty sure I can achieve this goal.

It's never too early to start trying...

I kid, I kid. :p

ptlyon
02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
I work at it everyday

DaKCMan AP
02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
I modified mine a bit, but it's actually in support of the original. I have to cook something I've never cooked before. Tonight, it's African peanut stew.

Good choice. Pretty simple dish but very tasty.

ptlyon
02-01-2013, 01:54 PM

isn't getting the Africans tough?

Fire Me Boy!
02-01-2013, 01:54 PM

It took me stopping at four stores to find fenugreek seed....

ptlyon
02-01-2013, 01:56 PM
It took me stopping at four stores to find fenugreek seed....

And fenugreek seed...

Rain Man
02-01-2013, 02:13 PM
isn't getting the Africans tough?

The Masai tend to taste too gamey to me. Not into Masai in my African peanut soup.

Iowanian
02-01-2013, 05:16 PM
I agreed to run a warrior dash with my siblings and spouses. I hate running but I'll be 40 and I'm going to do it.

I'm going to build a house this year.

I think that is enough.

BlackHelicopters
02-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Achieve Total Conciousness. Which is nice.

keg in kc
02-01-2013, 06:51 PM
I modified mine a bit, but it's actually in support of the original. I have to cook something I've never cooked before. Tonight, it's African peanut stew.I would say you misspelled "penis stew" but that would be a tasteless joke and I'm above such hijinks.

keg in kc
03-01-2013, 10:20 AM
2 months done. I'm not meeting my exercise goals, need to work on that. Have so far met all my writing goals. Have written every day in 2013, made it to 50 pages in February which gives me 78 for the year. March target is 75 pages.

BigRedChief
03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Get new better job
Buy house on the water with a nice pool, boat
lose 50 lbs

KC_Lee
03-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Maintain the wieght I have gotten down to, 225 lbs.
Increase my interval running distance from 1 mile to 2 miles.
Stay off of smokes, was able to quit at the begining of the year.
Help my wife achieve her fitness goals.
Run a 5K this year.
Grow both a summer and fall garden this year.
Put in a bed of sunchokes this year.

patteeu
03-01-2013, 12:14 PM
1. Visit BigRedChief at his new house. (Dependent on BRC meeting his goal of course).

2. Broker a deal between The 49ers and the Chiefs for either Colin Kapaernick or Alex Smith. (Accomplished!)

3. Figure out what I need to do next with my Sandbox Simulations team. (0%)

4. Check/delete all the unread emails in my inbox from 2012. (0%)

Dayze
03-01-2013, 12:22 PM
become Debt free. probably not this year; but mid-year next year.

Rasputin
03-01-2013, 01:49 PM
So far I havn't killed any one yet.

can't prove it if I did and you never will. dental records don't lie. buried deep stays buried still.

Oh I'm three weeks from my last cigarette. 20 days actually.

Chiefs are making my life hell I don't understand why it's so difficult. My goal is to stay smoke free and get healthy again. I like to smoke but was really making my lungs and myself feel shitty. Couldn't stop coughing at all. Now am doing much better.

Rain Man
03-01-2013, 02:04 PM
1. Visit BigRedChief at his new house. (Dependent on BRC meeting his goal of course).

You're not going to visit him unless he loses 50 pounds? That seems kind of mean.

Rain Man
03-01-2013, 02:06 PM
As of February 28th, I'm...

Down 5 pounds.
Stuck in a holding pattern on Sandbox (but progress is being made in the Eastern Regional Headquarters).
Now that I finally have my structure I'm making great progress on the GARNSK.
Company revenue looks good, but March is going to stink. Anyone need some market research?

patteeu
03-01-2013, 02:09 PM
You're not going to visit him unless he loses 50 pounds? That seems kind of mean.

I'm intolerant of overweight people. Except myself, with whom I really enjoy spending time.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2013, 06:40 AM

1. Maintain Awesomeness.

Halfway through the year update:

Goal 1: Check.

Goal 2: Slate nominated, thus far unopposed. Working to put together platform and plan. Well on the way to achieving goal 2.

3. In process. Still need to do a better job at this in terms of keeping in touch with people and getting to know friends/dates/etc. better and on more than just a surface level.

Rasputin
06-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Still smoke free from February 8 to today. I feel much better now & am accomplishing this goal to stay smoke free.

luv
06-12-2013, 07:57 AM
I must have totally overlooked this thread.

One goal for this year was to move to KC. While I've decided to stay in Springfield, I have finally managed to get out of my dad's house!

Also, I'm getting a very late start, but I've lost 12 lbs!

I've also started volunteering with MO Poetry Slam - Springfield.

Dayze
06-12-2013, 09:21 AM
continue to get out of debt.
2 more paid off in full a month ago.
Wifes car paid off Last August
2 more cards which should be paid off next late summer-ish. Currently on payment plans with no interest and no fees. Probably pay it off sooner; maybe by year-end.
Car will be done next June if we don't pay any extra; trying to pay off about 6 months early

then boom out of debt.

Rain Man
06-12-2013, 09:53 AM
As for me, my goals are:

Progress Report.

1. Down 1 pound.
2. Making good progress.
3. Gah.
4. Gah.

tooge
06-12-2013, 10:25 AM
progress report:

1. was able to avoid being on Hooties list
2. Maintained my weight of 185 lbs that I got down to last summer
3. got my jeep in full resto mode

Bugeater
06-12-2013, 10:56 AM

Hmmm...funny how much things can change in 6 months.

1. Due to the weather taking forever to warm up this spring I am way behind on the miles, and I also changed jobs a couple months ago and I now have a more demanding on-call schedule so the outlook is not real good to hit 1,000.

2. I gained another 10 lbs by being out of work the entire month of March, so I am behind schedule on this one as well.

3. Don't see this one happening at all since it's looking like I probably won't be in my current house for more than another year or so.

DaKCMan AP
12-31-2013, 07:53 PM

1. Maintain Awesomeness.

1. Check
2. Check
3. Improvement with further growth in 2014

Learned a lot about myself and my values in 2013 and I'm ready to flourish in 2014.