PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pre-Combine QB Poll V1.0

Exoter175
01-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Simple Poll to see where the fandom sits as a whole.

I honestly only think there are 4 that matter at this point, but I'll add a fifth in for the sake of the most recent mock thread.

Option A: Geno Smith, Duh.
Option B: Matt Barkley, because his name is Matt from USC, and we love Matt's from USC
Option C: Tyler Wilson, Because CP Lexicon
Option D: That one guy Glennon, because bad mock draft
Option E: Tyler Bray in the 2nd round, because it is a safe move and you get BPA in round 1.

This is my first poll, I'm going to mess it all up!

Exoter175
01-02-2013, 03:35 AM
And yes, I know this is like the 473rd QB thread this year, but this one has a poll and it is mine, and it has Tyler Bray there. Don't you like Tyler Bray?

jd1020
01-02-2013, 03:36 AM
Who cares? We are gonna draft T'eo.

Exoter175
01-02-2013, 03:38 AM
Who cares? We are gonna draft T'eo.

So vote Bray to pave the way! (new draft slogan, kind of like suck for luck, but more fancy)

AussieChiefsFan
01-02-2013, 03:44 AM
A little early to be a Pre-Combine poll I think.

Exoter175
01-02-2013, 03:47 AM
A little early to be a Pre-Combine poll I think.

That's like saying it is too early to mock draft :P

It days say version 1, I'll make another after the Bowl games, Senior Bowl, etc.

Nightfyre
01-02-2013, 03:53 AM
We had a poll like this earlier... Where did that go. Something like 80% wanted Geno first overall and he had over 150 votes last I checked.

Exoter175
01-02-2013, 04:13 AM
We had a poll like this earlier... Where did that go. Something like 80% wanted Geno first overall and he had over 150 votes last I checked.

Was Bray and Glennon an option in the poll?

I must have missed that one.

AussieChiefsFan
01-02-2013, 04:59 AM
That's like saying it is too early to mock draft :P

It days say version 1, I'll make another after the Bowl games, Senior Bowl, etc.What I meant was. Saying "Pre-Combine" is like saying "Pre Training camp Poll". Yes its "Pre training camp" but it's not exactly accurate because camp is in July and it's only January. IMO itd be more appropriate to be "pre-Combine" after the SUper Bowl. But thats just what I think :D

Exoter175
01-02-2013, 05:05 AM
What I meant was. Saying "Pre-Combine" is like saying "Pre Training camp Poll". Yes its "Pre training camp" but it's not exactly accurate because camp is in July and it's only January. IMO itd be more appropriate to be "pre-Combine" after the SUper Bowl. But thats just what I think :D

You are silly, I'll make corrections on the next Poll ROFL

CoMoChief
01-02-2013, 05:23 AM
Out of that poll....Wilson is the best QB there.

AussieChiefsFan
01-02-2013, 06:36 AM
You are silly, I'll make corrections on the next Poll ROFLLMAO

Exoter175
01-02-2013, 07:21 AM
Out of that poll....Wilson is the best QB there.

I feel like going into the combine, this poll consists of my top 3, with a "grandfathered" in guy, as well as the "dark horse" sleeper QB some columnists think might make a splash.

Geno certainly is the popular vote and will be pre combine, but I'm curious to see how many people are truly interested in the cannons of guys like Bray and Wilson.

CoMoChief
01-02-2013, 07:28 AM
watch for Landry Jones

Dayze
01-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Geno as of now.
I wonder how the combine and senior bowl will effect alo t of these guys stock.

TRR
01-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Why would a bunch of QB's running around in shorts and a t-shirt....with no defense being played...Sway you either way? Either he's your guy or he's not. The combine makes no difference.

Dayze
01-02-2013, 08:20 AM
because I want to hear what professional scouts say about him.

7 times out of 10 the draft board/mocks as they near the draft are nearly identical.
if no one is projecting Geno in the 1st after the SB and Combine, then I'll take their word for it. it would be one thing if thery were projecting him in the top 10, then not even list him the 1st is too much of a variance.

and the combine absolutely makes a difference. Not in a way of "wow, guy had a shitty combine for a guy slotted as a top 10 pick; ...he's not going to be drafted". but it can effect guys up or down by quite a few slots. the combine is a complimentary part of the evaluation of players. And if the combine made zero difference, why would the NFL throw a ton of money and resources to organized it?

Plus, I haven't see all of him games, only a handful; and I want to see him in person (so to speak)

TRR
01-02-2013, 08:31 AM

7 times out of 10 the draft board/mocks as they near the draft are nearly identical.
if no one is projecting Geno in the 1st after the SB and Combine, then I'll take their word for it. it would be one theing if thery were projecting him in the top 10, but not eve listed in the 1st is too much of a variance.

and the combine absolutely makes a difference. Not in a way of "wow, guy had a shitty combine for a guy slotted as a top 10 pick; ...he's not going to be drafted". but it can effect guys up or down by quite a few slots. the combine is a complimentary part of the evaluation of players. And if the combine made zero difference, why would the NFL throw a ton of money and resources to organized it?

Plus, I haven't see all of him games, only a handful; and I want to see him in person (so to speak)

What professional scouts? Mel Kiper? Mike Mayock? Todd McShay? Come on. The only possible thing that could happen in the combine is a failed drug test or someone coming in listed at 6'4, and they measure at 6'0 (if that is a big deal to you.)

The combine is fun. It's interesting to hear the chatter. However, it shouldn't impact your decision on what QB you want.

Dayze
01-02-2013, 08:35 AM
I can agree to an extent, butIf I think a player should go #1 overall, but Mayock (who knows alot more than I do) has him in the 2nd.....then, Ill take his word for it over what I see. It wouldn't mean that I don't still like the guy though; I'd just try to get him later if there is that much of a disparity. IMO

but yeah; if he's mocked at 5 etc, then I'd still take him #1. not even listed in the first would be too much.

Mayock, IMO, is lightyears ahead of Kiper and actually knows what he's looking at. I think Kiper is resting on the laurels of his 'analysis' pre-NFL nentwork/social media/you tube etc.

DC.chief
01-02-2013, 08:41 AM
What about Aaron Murray?

HolyHat
01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I would like to vote twice for Geno. M'kay, Thanks

Chiefnj2
01-02-2013, 10:53 AM
I can agree to an extent, butIf I think a player should go #1 overall, but Mayock (who knows alot more than I do) has him in the 2nd.....then, Ill take his word for it over what I see. It wouldn't mean that I don't still like the guy though; I'd just try to get him later if there is that much of a disparity. IMO

but yeah; if he's mocked at 5 etc, then I'd still take him #1. not even listed in the first would be too much.

Mayock, IMO, is lightyears ahead of Kiper and actually knows what he's looking at. I think Kiper is resting on the laurels of his 'analysis' pre-NFL nentwork/social media/you tube etc.

Dayze, where did you see Mayock rankings for this year?

The Franchise
01-02-2013, 10:54 AM
1. Smith
2. Wilson
3. Bray

Dayze
01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Dayze, where did you see Mayock rankings for this year?

pesonally I haven't yet.
they might be out there, but I haven't checked

htismaqe
01-02-2013, 11:19 AM
pesonally I haven't yet.
they might be out there, but I haven't checked

He usually doesn't publish anything before the Senior Bowl and combine.

Dayze
01-02-2013, 11:19 AM
that sounds right.

BWillie
01-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Matt Barkley has nothing to do with Matt Cassel, Matt Leinart or any other QB to come out of USC. Those QBs were coached to look good by Pete Carroll, Barkley was made to look like shit by one of the worst coaches ever in Lane Kiffin. Dude is still a talent and I really do think he will have a good pro career.

Simplicity
01-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Where's the Gaz option???

TEX
01-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Matt Barkley has nothing to do with Matt Cassel, Matt Leinart or any other QB to come out of USC. Those QBs were coached to look good by Pete Carroll, Barkley was made to look like shit by one of the worst coaches ever in Lane Kiffin. Dude is still a talent and I really do think he will have a good pro career.

I agree.

BigBeauford
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
This is the most objective poll I have ever seen on CP today.

RealSNR
01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Your dumbassery is very very intriguing, Exoter

whoman69
01-02-2013, 01:29 PM

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267010

That thread also had Tyler Bray in it who only got 2% of the votes. That poll was preceded by another poll that stated 76% of the CP fanbase said we should go QB or bust.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266993

whoman69
01-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Why would a bunch of QB's running around in shorts and a t-shirt....with no defense being played...Sway you either way? Either he's your guy or he's not. The combine makes no difference.

I think the combine is good to judge a prospect's footwork and athletic ability that you can't always see on tape. There is also the interview portion to get inside their head. Ryan Leaf is a good example of the second point.

Prison Bitch
01-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Very few top prospects would play the Sr Bowl since it would only hurt them, i.e. Geno. He would not play that game

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Geno or Death.

O.city
01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Most of these guys aren't gonna throw at the combine anyway. Geno, Wilson and Barkley won't and i doubt a guy like Glennon will either.

The combine is a great time to see the mental side of these guys, which is something we will never know about since it's kept mainly secret.

So this, "I'll wait till the combine" is a BS excuse when it comes to QB's. I don't really care about his 40 time or long jump.

alnorth
01-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Geno will not play in the senior bowl. The four QB's who will play are Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, and EJ Manuel

Nightfyre
01-02-2013, 07:38 PM
The most recent list put out by the senior bowl shows only 3 QBs have accepted to this point. Last year there were six QBs I believe. I only care because I am going to the game.

Exoter175
01-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Where's the Gaz option???
I failed you.

Your dumbassery is very very intriguing, Exoter

Gracias!

I think the combine is good to judge a prospect's footwork and athletic ability that you can't always see on tape. There is also the interview portion to get inside their head. Ryan Leaf is a good example of the second point.

This right here, it doesn't really give us an equal evaluation of what each QB can do in a game time situation against the same defense, same variables or anything, but it gives you a chance to evaluate their raw talents as well as fundamentals. Ricky Stanzi came into the Combine as the #3, maybe #4 guy, left the combine at #6 or #7 because of his mechanics. This combine very well could shake things up on footwork alone with Wilson, Bray, and Barkley.

Most of these guys aren't gonna throw at the combine anyway. Geno, Wilson and Barkley won't and i doubt a guy like Glennon will either.

The combine is a great time to see the mental side of these guys, which is something we will never know about since it's kept mainly secret.

So this, "I'll wait till the combine" is a BS excuse when it comes to QB's. I don't really care about his 40 time or long jump.

This is where I'm the most eager. I actually think a number of guys will be able to improve their stock by throwing in the combine. I honestly believe the days are gone where a guy would forgo the passing drills at the combine because he didn't want to hurt his stock, because lets be honest, moving down one spot on your position could cost you 15-20 million dollars. That isn't the case anymore. Now you have much less to lose, and more to gain. That's just my opinion though, take it with a grain of salt. I think guys like Wilson, Bray, and Glennon will actually throw this combine.

hometeam
01-02-2013, 09:25 PM
King neck with only 3. gee.

I_AM_Chief
01-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Barkley in the 2nd round if he was still there. Worst class ever though, watching Teddy Bridgewater right now makes me cry he isn't eligible. We are screwed with this scrub class of QB's.

Exoter175
01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Barkley in the 2nd round if he was still there. Worst class ever though, watching Teddy Bridgewater right now makes me cry he isn't eligible. We are screwed with this scrub class of QB's.

I wouldn't call them scrubs. There is a ton of talent there, just not nearly the separation of talent we've seen the last 2 years.

Psyko Tek
01-02-2013, 11:30 PM

if no one is projecting Geno in the 1st after the SB and Combine, then I'll take their word for it. it would be one thing if thery were projecting him in the top 10, then not even list him the 1st is too much of a variance.

|I don't have a lot of faith in combines, wish I had watched the games, but I like to get out one day a weekend, so just watch NFL, I am aty the point of draft the best QB available and play him,. if he fails draft another and try him
it works for detroit on WR didn't it

patteeu
01-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Why not include all the QBs likely to be in the draft? Or at least an "other" option?

gohogs14
01-03-2013, 01:03 AM
NFL.com's QB preview

ht tp://ww w.nfl.co m/draft/story/0ap1000000121092/article/geno-smith-matt-barkley-headline-2013-nfl-draft-quarterbacks

Exoter175
01-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Why not include all the QBs likely to be in the draft? Or at least an "other" option?

Because the Chiefs won't be picking anyone outside of these 5.

keg in kc
01-03-2013, 02:30 AM
Rather more one-sided than I expected.

Ultra Peanut
01-03-2013, 02:32 AM
THOMAS TAPEH

Exoter175
01-03-2013, 02:47 AM
Rather more one-sided than I expected.

I have the opposite impression, I honestly thought it would look more one sided than this pre-combine.

Sorter
01-03-2013, 02:52 AM

Nassib, Wilson, and Barkley are all guys that IMO can be effective QBs as rookies.

Glennon needs a much better situation based on personnel/scheme to succeed IMO.

Bray needs to sit as well.

Exoter175
01-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Nassib, Wilson, and Barkley are all guys that IMO can be effective QBs as rookies.

Glennon needs a much better situation based on personnel/scheme to succeed IMO.

Bray needs to sit as well.

Do you think Nassib will be taken ahead of Glennon and/or Bray?

Sorter
01-03-2013, 03:10 AM
Do you think Nassib will be taken ahead of Glennon and/or Bray?

Possibly.

I think that when you compare them all on tape, Bray has the much better arm + strength of schedule throughout his career. He also has a poor release point, throwing motion, is inconsistent, and also has character issues stemming from throwing beer bottles.

Glennon has a solid arm but is shaky. Worse than Flacco coming from Delaware. Poor decision making, tends to check down on plays that don't warrant it, and consistently struggles on making throws outside the hash (deep outs, corners). I'd love to take him if my entire team was ready to compete and we were drafting at #25 or he could sit for 2+ years.

I think that Nassib's ability to move within the pocket along with his release is significantly better than both.

I think that the QBs will go Geno, Wilson, Barkley, Nassib, Glennon although any variation of the last 3 wouldn't shock me. Bray can sneak in there but he'd have to wow in interviews and throw well ( motion-wise) at his pro-day/combine.

Wumbology
01-03-2013, 03:15 AM
Seth Doege. I'll say he's the next Russell Wilson so if he is actually good I can come back here and brag. If not, I'll just do my usual hang around and not post.

Sorter
01-03-2013, 03:16 AM
Seth Doege. I'll say he's the next Russell Wilson so if he is actually good I can come back here and brag. If not, I'll just do my usual hang around and not post.

I've just seen highlights so I really can't comment.

Exoter175
01-03-2013, 03:21 AM
Possibly.

I think that when you compare them all on tape, Bray has the much better arm + strength of schedule throughout his career. He also has a poor release point, throwing motion, is inconsistent, and also has character issues stemming from throwing beer bottles.

Glennon has a solid arm but is shaky. Worse than Flacco coming from Delaware. Poor decision making, tends to check down on plays that don't warrant it, and consistently struggles on making throws outside the hash (deep outs, corners). I'd love to take him if my entire team was ready to compete and we were drafting at #25 or he could sit for 2+ years.

I think that Nassib's ability to move within the pocket along with his release is significantly better than both.

I think that the QBs will go Geno, Wilson, Barkley, Nassib, Glennon although any variation of the last 3 wouldn't shock me. Bray can sneak in there but he'd have to wow in interviews and throw well ( motion-wise) at his pro-day/combine.

So you and I basically have the same rankings, except I have Glennn ahead of Nassib, and Bray ahead of both. I completely agree with your breakdown that you just wrote, but I'd really emphasize for bray his decision making issues that have been fairly prevalent. More often than not I've seen him try to force the deep ball because of his arm, rather than check it down, and often times throw into double coverage expecting his receiver to go up and get it. I just don't think his receivers are talented enough to really hide that shortcoming.

Sorter
01-03-2013, 03:27 AM
So you and I basically have the same rankings, except I have Glennn ahead of Nassib, and Bray ahead of both. I completely agree with your breakdown that you just wrote, but I'd really emphasize for bray his decision making issues that have been fairly prevalent. More often than not I've seen him try to force the deep ball because of his arm, rather than check it down, and often times throw into double coverage expecting his receiver to go up and get it. I just don't think his receivers are talented enough to really hide that shortcoming.

Bray has had excellent talent at WR the past 2 years and arguably solid line/RB play.

I'd encourage you to watch more of Nassib.

Sorter
01-03-2013, 03:29 AM
Bray is Stafford minus being successful in the SEC and with worse footwork and decision making. Will still make some throws that leave your jaw dropping but isn't worth the #1 pick when you have Geno and Wilson still available.

Exoter175
01-03-2013, 03:30 AM
Bray has had excellent talent at WR the past 2 years and arguably solid line/RB play.

I'd encourage you to watch more of Nassib.

He has had excellent WR play, but what I was getting at is I don't think his WRs are talented enough to bail him out of some of these throws that really make me question his decision making. If he had a once in a decade guy like Calvin, we'd probably be overlooking it.

I'll definitely watch more of Nassib over the next few days. I've been eating my weight in Geno film lately since the mock draft thread. I like what I see from a potential WCO perspective if Reid lands here, but I hate the McNabb comparisons for better and worse.

Exoter175
01-03-2013, 03:31 AM
Bray is Stafford minus being successful in the SEC and with worse footwork and decision making. Will still make some throws that leave your jaw dropping but isn't worth the #1 pick when you have Geno and Wilson still available.

I definitely agree with you there, but I also think he's raw enough to be coached and molded with ridiculous upside.

Sorter
01-03-2013, 03:34 AM
I definitely agree with you there, but I also think he's raw enough to be coached and molded with ridiculous upside.

Possibly. I'd rather go with Geno, Wilson as the #1 overall.

Sorter
01-03-2013, 03:37 AM
He has had excellent WR play, but what I was getting at is I don't think his WRs are talented enough to bail him out of some of these throws that really make me question his decision making. If he had a once in a decade guy like Calvin, we'd probably be overlooking it.

I'll definitely watch more of Nassib over the next few days. I've been eating my weight in Geno film lately since the mock draft thread. I like what I see from a potential WCO perspective if Reid lands here, but I hate the McNabb comparisons for better and worse.

I really think Geno would be best in a Coryell base that utilizes PA down the field, double moves and a zone run scheme that incorportates PA off of the stretch play, as he has enough speed to get to the 7 (which isn't a huge deal but it helps) and then effectively run PA off it.

Ideally, I think Kelly + Norv would be a great fit for him. The intriguing thing about Reid is his tendency to use PA and stretch/inside zone plays when he has a rookie or backup QB.

Exoter175
01-03-2013, 03:51 AM
Possibly. I'd rather go with Geno, Wilson as the #1 overall.

Indeed, call me crazy but I think Wilson is the safest pick between those two.
I really think Geno would be best in a Coryell base that utilizes PA down the field, double moves and a zone run scheme that incorportates PA off of the stretch play, as he has enough speed to get to the 7 (which isn't a huge deal but it helps) and then effectively run PA off it.

Ideally, I think Kelly + Norv would be a great fit for him. The intriguing thing about Reid is his tendency to use PA and stretch/inside zone plays when he has a rookie or backup QB.

Ehhh, I like the screen game Reid runs better than Norv, at least for the toolset we have here in KC if Geno were to come to town. I think between Charles and McCluster you'll have the finesse you need out of the back field to really open up a lot of designed stretch plays and screen plays that will allow us to toss some naked PA boots in there where I think Geno could tear it up in man coverage assuming Bowe stays here.

Sorter
01-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Indeed, call me crazy but I think Wilson is the safest pick between those two.

Ehhh, I like the screen game Reid runs better than Norv, at least for the toolset we have here in KC if Geno were to come to town. I think between Charles and McCluster you'll have the finesse you need out of the back field to really open up a lot of designed stretch plays and screen plays that will allow us to toss some naked PA boots in there where I think Geno could tear it up in man coverage assuming Bowe stays here.

I don't think Wilson is safer given his lack of mobility within the pocket and concussion issues, as well as others I've previously stated. This is coming from a guy pimping Wilson all of last year.

I think that both Andy and Norv's screen games would work great. You must not remember how Norv utilized LT in the screen game and as a chip+release option.

The thing that concerns me about Andy is whether he'll allow someone to operate a 1-gap 3-4 front. Based on his previous desire/usage of a fire-zone philosophy, I'd be inclined to think he'd be okay with our 3-4 front provided it used a fire-zone based philosophy.

Nightfyre
01-03-2013, 03:59 AM
Possibly.

It is as if Sorter sees with my eyes. Creepy. Are you coming to the senior bowl or what?

Sorter
01-03-2013, 04:01 AM
It is as if Sorter sees with my eyes. Creepy. Are you coming to the senior bowl or what?

It is the weekend after classes start.

If I can swing it (probably), we'll be sitting next to each other sunglasses, pencil, paper, and all.

Exoter175
01-03-2013, 04:03 AM
I don't think Wilson is safer given his lack of mobility within the pocket and concussion issues, as well as others I've previously stated. This is coming from a guy pimping Wilson all of last year.

I think that both Andy and Norv's screen games would work great. You must not remember how Norv utilized LT in the screen game and as a chip+release option.

The thing that concerns me about Andy is whether he'll allow someone to operate a 1-gap 3-4 front. Based on his previous desire/usage of a fire-zone philosophy, I'd be inclined to think he'd be okay with our 3-4 front provided it used a fire-zone based philosophy.

I do remember how Norv utilized LT, I also remember how Andy utilized McCoy and Westbrook. I prefer Reid's way :D

And I'm calling Wilson the safer pick because I have questions on Geno's overall arm strength, and well as his progression. That Texas game showed him being really slow through his progression and holding on to the ball too long and taking a sack. I feel Wilson is faster in that regard.

Nightfyre
01-03-2013, 04:03 AM
cool.

patteeu
01-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Because the Chiefs won't be picking anyone outside of these 5.

While that's probably true, the poll question was asking for our choice not our prediction.

Here's what your poll would have looked like the year future superstar Tom Brady was drafted:

0 Chad Pennington
0 Giovanni Carmazzi
0 Chris Redman
0 Tee Martin
0 Marc Bulger

Poll fail AFAIC.

buddha
01-03-2013, 09:25 AM
watch for Landry Jones

So overrated.

And those OU quarterbacks have done so well in the NFL, right?

Exoter175
01-03-2013, 09:59 AM
While that's probably true, the poll question was asking for our choice not our prediction.

Here's what your poll would have looked like the year future superstar Tom Brady was drafted:

0 Chad Pennington
0 Giovanni Carmazzi
0 Chris Redman
0 Tee Martin
0 Marc Bulger

Poll fail AFAIC.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything honestly, these 5 are, as I see it, the top 5 QBs going into combine, pre Senior Bowl. I'm not looking to have 75 QBs listed right now, just a general concensus selection of guys who could A, be taken right now, or B, move up enough at the Senior Bowl or combine to challenge that spot.

So overrated.

And those OU quarterbacks have done so well in the NFL, right?

Agreed, not a Jones fan.