PDA

View Full Version : Football Chip Kelly is close to a deal to become the Browns coach

Showtime
01-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

BREAKING: Chip Kelly is close to a deal to become the #Browns coach, according to a source informed of his situation.

The Franchise
01-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Not a bad get by them.

I'm not sure that Weeden will still be the starting QB though.

RustShack
01-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Browns always fail. Looks like we made the right choice not going after him.

mcaj22
01-04-2013, 05:03 PM
im not saying Ian Poopnshit is correct, but what the hell are some of these teams with a head coaching vacancy doing? who are they waiting on

there are like NO good options out there besides the potential of Chip Kelly and maybe what? Hoping you can convince Jon Gruden? Who else is there? You are going to get a fired coach in Lovie Smith or Ken Wisenhunt regardless.

How the Eagles and Cardinals and Chargers are just hanging out losing out to Chip Kelly to the potential shitpile crappy Browns is hilarious to me

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2013, 05:03 PM
BREAKING: Andy Reid close to completing a deal to become the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

Oh, wait.

Someone let me know when it actually HAPPENS.

MotherfuckerJones
01-04-2013, 05:04 PM
BREAKING: Andy Reid close to completing a deal to become the Head Coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

Oh, wait.

ROFL

mcaj22
01-04-2013, 05:04 PM
lol waiting for these playoffs to end so teams can make a run at guys like Bruce Arians

theres only one Bruce Arians and clearly like 3 teams hoping they get him.

Showtime
01-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Good Luck Chip on fixing the Browns, A lot of peeps have tried.

Strongside
01-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Hope he can turn them around. With the success our team has had, we should feel for their fans as well. Kindred spirits, they are.

FD
01-04-2013, 05:06 PM
I had high hopes for Kelly making something happen in the NFL. This would pretty much kill that dream. Cleveland is a sinkhole.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 05:07 PM
im not saying Ian Poopnshit is correct, but what the hell are some of these teams with a head coaching vacancy doing? who are they waiting on

there are like NO good options out there besides the potential of Chip Kelly and maybe what? Hoping you can convince Jon Gruden? Who else is there? You are going to get a fired coach in Lovie Smith or Ken Wisenhunt regardless.

How the Eagles and Cardinals and Chargers are just hanging out losing out to Chip Kelly to the potential shitpile crappy Browns is hilarious to me

The Chargers and Cardinals have a similar front office structure to what we used to have, so until they hire a GM, they won't be hiring a coach.

And while Lurie has said both the coach and GM will report to him in Philly, he also said he wants to hire a GM first.

So basically, all 3 teams are apparently looking for a GM, although there hasn't been a lot of chatter.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Not a bad get by them.

I'm not sure that Weeden will still be the starting QB though.

Isn't Weeden older than Kelly? :p

mcaj22
01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
The Chargers and Cardinals have a similar front office structure to what we used to have, so until they hire a GM, they won't be hiring a coach.

And while Lurie has said both the coach and GM will report to him in Philly, he also said he wants to hire a GM first.

So basically, all 3 teams are apparently looking for a GM, although there hasn't been a lot of chatter.

most of the GMs they want they cant get

didnt DeCosta say hes staying with Baltimore and I dont know what's up with the 49ers guy? It seems to be a lot of teams after a shallow pool of GMs they have no chance at getting.

And we have the wildcard on John Dorsey, so I'd love to see a crap team like the Jets try and steal him from us

Reaper16
01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
If this week is any precedent, then this report means that Chip Kelly will be the next coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. Print 'em, Clark.

Molitoth
01-04-2013, 05:10 PM
I like Chip Kelly. Don't like the move to the Browns.

O.city
01-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Kelly using the Browns as a stepping stone.

He works there for 2 or 3 years, big teams see that his system will work in the NFL, big time paycheck coming his way.

FD
01-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Weeden and Richardson could potentially be successful together in a lot of NFL offenses. Chip Kelly's offense however would be completely wrong for them.

Buehler445
01-04-2013, 05:11 PM
So my question is why would Chip want to go to Cleveland? He could pretty much go wherever he wanted (I wanted him in KC), why choose Cleveland?

Pretty much everybody since Marty has sucked and hell even an owner quit on Cleveland.

Is it because he'd get more time? Since Crennel, they haven't given much time to anybody.

What gives?

mcaj22
01-04-2013, 05:12 PM
yea the Browns are perfect for Kelly they are practically a college team

they are one of the youngest in the NFL and started the most rookies this year.

KC Tattoo
01-04-2013, 05:12 PM

Oh, wait.

The funny thing about this is that the "networks" were all 90 to 95% sure that Reid would be a Cardinals HC. LMFAO he didn't even go there for an interview.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 05:13 PM

He works there for 2 or 3 years, big teams see that his system will work in the NFL, big time paycheck coming his way.

Probably this.

KCChiefsFan88
01-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Kelly should wait to see what happens with the Carolina coaching situation IMO

silver5liter
01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Seems like a bad choice...

O.city
01-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Probably this.

Or he's using this to drive up the price or hurry someone along, where he really wants to go.

Bewbies
Interesting, that division plays slow-ass smash mouth football....

Hope he works out, would love to meet the Browns in the postseason soon.

htismaqe
most of the GMs they want they cant get

didnt DeCosta say hes staying with Baltimore and I dont know what's up with the 49ers guy? It seems to be a lot of teams after a shallow pool of GMs they have no chance at getting.

And we have the wildcard on John Dorsey, so I'd love to see a crap team like the Jets try and steal him from us

You're dead on. I don't get it.

It just makes all the more obvious that Clark knocked this out of the park.

Sure-Oz
01-04-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm going to laugh if tomorrow he has a deal with Carolina or Philly using Cleveland as leverage

O.city
01-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Another reason the Browns are a questionable choice. If he is going to bring his kind of football in the NFL, it's been shown in college that big physical teams can slow it down.

So he goes to the AFC North? The SEC defenses of the NFL?

Showtime
01-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Browns new owner is going to overpay for Kelly.

KCChiefsFan88
01-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Cleveland can have Romeo and Dabhole back.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-04-2013, 05:20 PM
...reach for Hermy Jr. Eggo

Bewbies
The Browns own their own stadium, they're one of the most valuable franchises in the NFL. They've got the money.

Dante84

When was the last time an NFL coach, without being fired first (or clearly on the outs because of lack of success), made a lateral move to another team?

Basically what I'm asking is, has anyone ever had success and jumped ship to a better market? That's SOP in NCAA, not so much in the NFL.

The Franchise
01-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Another reason the Browns are a questionable choice. If he is going to bring his kind of football in the NFL, it's been shown in college that big physical teams can slow it down.

So he goes to the AFC North? The SEC defenses of the NFL?

The Ravens and Steelers defenses are both getting old and slow.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 05:24 PM
What's bad about the choice? Kelly has an ascending defense and a QB who is very comfortable in the spread. And apart from Trent Richardson and Joe Thomas, he pretty much has license to tear that offense apart and build it in his own image.

It's so interesting that Kelly was #1 on everyone's list now all of a sudden he's not. Love Reid coming to KC, but the Browns hit a grand slam with this one. They decided to go big or go home. Kelly will either bust or he's going to be a huge success. I think he has the organizational skills and is a brilliant offensive mind and he's going to find some way to make it work.

Good for the Brownies. They deserve a big hire like this.

whoman69
01-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Kelly is not going to be able to go all out in this system. They just don't have the personnel to be doing this in the pros. He's also going to have his defense on the field the whole game. Spurrier found out you can't just put a college system in the pros and expect it to work. Even RG3 has some pro elements to their game. RG3 will need to expand his game. They spoon fed it this year with him only needing to read half the field.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 05:38 PM
What's bad about the choice? Kelly has an ascending defense and a QB who is very comfortable in the spread. And apart from Trent Richardson and Joe Thomas, he pretty much has license to tear that offense apart and build it in his own image.

It's so interesting that Kelly was #1 on everyone's list now all of a sudden he's not. Love Reid coming to KC, but the Browns hit a grand slam with this one. They decided to go big or go home. Kelly will either bust or he's going to be a huge success. I think he has the organizational skills and is a brilliant offensive mind and he's going to find some way to make it work.

Chip Kelly wasn't even on my list, let alone #1.

His spread offense isn't going to work in the NFL. It's predicated on running the ball and having a massive speed differential between his guys and the opponent. The playing field is too level in the NFL.

O.city
01-04-2013, 05:41 PM

His spread offense isn't going to work in the NFL. It's predicated on running the ball and having a massive speed differential between his guys and the opponent. The playing field is too level in the NFL.

Lotta guys were saying that "other teams have been picking Kelly's brain, etc."

But look at the teams doing that. Alot of teams have some of the concepts in their system, but as far as a complete offense of that? I'm not sold it would work, but I also don't think he's gonna stick strictly with it.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Lotta guys were saying that "other teams have been picking Kelly's brain, etc."

But look at the teams doing that. Alot of teams have some of the concepts in their system, but as far as a complete offense of that? I'm not sold it would work, but I also don't think he's gonna stick strictly with it.

I don't either.

But like they were talking about on the telecast last night, he offense isn't going to determine success or failure in the NFL anyway.

Being an effective NFL head coach is SO much more than X's and O's.

Bewbies
01-04-2013, 05:44 PM

If he comes in and tries to make Oregon in the NFL he will suck. If he uses his tempo, attacking style and creativity to do something that looks more like a faster Saints (for example) he could kill it.

Buehler445
01-04-2013, 05:45 PM

I wanted him. Still want him more than Reid, but I'm super happy with Reid.

O.city
I don't either.

But like they were talking about on the telecast last night, he offense isn't going to determine success or failure in the NFL anyway.

Yeah, I like what he brings to the table in that situation too though.

He would have been an exciting hire in KC, in 2008. Not at this point, IMO.

Buehler445
If he comes in and tries to make Oregon in the NFL he will suck. If he uses his tempo, attacking style and creativity to do something that looks more like a faster Saints (for example) he could kill it.

This. I want innovation. Not necessarily Oregon.

RunKC
01-04-2013, 05:46 PM
I can really see Weeden doing well in his system. OSU had a quick spread offense too.

htismaqe

That puts a lot of pressure on the defense. He's going to have to temper it some, I think.

O.city
Will Burge ‏@WillBurge
Source in #Browns organization told me that just over a week ago Colt McCoy was told by Joe Banner he is "in the next head coach's plans"

GoChargers
01-04-2013, 05:47 PM

Can't speak for other teams but the Chargers are interviewing GM candidates right now.

I'd rather have Zimmer or Vic Fangio than Chip.

Ultra Peanut
Oregon has been my second-favorite college football team since 1998, but: YAAAY! Now hire Chris Petersen, Ducks!

htismaqe
I wanted him. Still want him more than Reid, but I'm super happy with Reid.

I'm not ready for the risk. I was this close --><-- to just saying "fuck it" and walking away for good.

I don't want to see experiments right now. I want to see them build up a consistent winner and get to a Super Bowl soon.

OnTheWarpath15
01-04-2013, 05:48 PM

Chock full of truthiness.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Will Burge ‏@WillBurge
Source in #Browns organization told me that just over a week ago Colt McCoy was told by Joe Banner he is "in the next head coach's plans"

That doesn't make much sense. Why would Chip want Colt? He's a spread QB but not exactly in the Chip Kelly mold...

O.city
01-04-2013, 05:49 PM
The reason I dont' see his spread being a fit, is that when you have guys who can dominate the you up front and make it go sideways, you can stop the run. But his passing game is exciting.

Bewbies
01-04-2013, 05:49 PM
That puts a lot of pressure on the defense. He's going to have to temper it some, I think.

Maybe. If he has a great D the pressure is really put on the other team.

Interesting hire, I'll enjoy watching to see how he pans out.

GoChargers
01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Oregon has been my second-favorite college football team since 1998, but: YAAAY! Now hire Chris Petersen, Ducks!

Oregon has already said that they will promote their offensive coordinator to HC if Chip really leaves.

I doubt Petersen ever leaves Boise at this point.

O.city
01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
That doesn't make much sense. Why would Chip want Colt? He's a spread QB but not exactly in the Chip Kelly mold...

I liked him at Oregon, but from his interviews and other stuff, I see a little Pioli in him.

"You couldn't get this to work, but my way will, not your way, my way. "

ThaVirus
01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Hope he works out, would love to meet the Browns in the postseason soon.

We suck against the Browns.. ill pass.

Would love to see them make the playoffs next season though.

MotherfuckerJones
01-04-2013, 05:56 PM
He's gona have to incorporate some wildcat

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 05:57 PM
I don't either.

Well, you know my criticism of Arians, that I think he's an X's and O's guy but not a big fan of him as head coach. From a coaching standpoint, Kelly is as good as it gets. Everything I've heard is he's incredibly organized, runs an incredible practice, and he's a guy who knows how to be tough to his players while still earning their respect. I wouldn't think him to be an interesting option unless he can do those things.

On the X's and O's... you have to assume he isn't going to be creative about making that NFL-oriented. That's where he's boom/bust. Maybe he can't scheme an NFL offense. It really sounds to me like he's pretty brilliant of an offensive mind, so I think he'll adapt to the game. And you wonder if he'll choose an offensive coordinator who can help counsel Kelly if his scheme gets too radical.

Great hire for the Brownies. It's the pick you make when you gamble -- they chose not to play it safe, and it could pay some huge dividends for them. Worst case scenario, the experiment doesn't work and 3 years from now, you have a team that's fast and ready for the spread but needs a scheme adjustment.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 05:59 PM
I liked him at Oregon, but from his interviews and other stuff, I see a little Pioli in him.

"You couldn't get this to work, but my way will, not your way, my way. "

I could see that. A lot of danger in giving him that much control over personnel, which is what he wants. I still have a feeling that Kelly, unlike Pioli, will actually adapt his game whereas Pioli's problem was that he tried to force-fit the only thing he knew.

O.city
01-04-2013, 06:00 PM
A question I have is taht when he's coached a team thats physically matched, his system seems to be quelled.

Ultra Peanut
01-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Oregon has already said that they will promote their offensive coordinator to HC if Chip really leaves.

I doubt Petersen ever leaves Boise at this point.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O.city
01-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I could see that. A lot of danger in giving him that much control over personnel, which is what he wants. I still have a feeling that Kelly, unlike Pioli, will actually adapt his game whereas Pioli's problem was that he tried to force-fit the only thing he knew.

Thatst he problem tho, what else does Kelly know?

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Maybe. If he has a great D the pressure is really put on the other team.

Interesting hire, I'll enjoy watching to see how he pans out.

The thing is, at the end of the day, Chip Kelly relies on a MASSIVE talent gap.

Look at what they did against a near-NFL defense in Stanford.

That talent gap, particularly the speed gap, just isn't going to exist in the NFL.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 06:03 PM

Right.

O.city
01-04-2013, 06:04 PM
The thing with his innovation is, things in the NFL get figured out pretty quick. It's why the wildcat flamed, etc.

It will eventually get figured out, he's just gonna have to always stay a step ahead. Which seemed, IMO, to be a problem for him at Oregon in that whenever his teams were physically handled, they struggled.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Great hire for the Brownies. It's the pick you make when you gamble -- they chose not to play it safe, and it could pay some huge dividends for them. Worst case scenario, the experiment doesn't work and 3 years from now, you have a team that's fast and ready for the spread but needs a scheme adjustment.

What?

Worst case scenario is the experiment doesn't work, they've sold out to build for the spread, and have to completely gut the thing so that it resembles an NFL team again.

They're taking a HUGE risk.

GoChargers
01-04-2013, 06:06 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FWIW, Petersen is a bad fit for Oregon. His offense is a very complex pro-style system with Pistol and Wildcat elements, heavily predicated on varied formations and pre-snap shifts. It's not really similar to Chip's system.

O.city
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Kelly is an extremely intriguing hire and I do like the Browns taking a chance. But I'm not sure it's a smart chance.

Reaper16
01-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Look at what they did against a near-NFL defense in Stanford.

Beat Stanford by 23 points in 2011? Beat Stanford by 21 points in 2010?

Reaper16
01-04-2013, 06:15 PM
The thing with his innovation is, things in the NFL get figured out pretty quick.

New England Patriots team offense:

2012: #1, 427.9 ypg
2011: #2, 428.0 ypg
2010: #8, 363.8 ypg
2009: #3, 397.3 ypg

Seems like the Patriots are generally improving as they continue to play an uptempo spread offense, instead of getting figured out.

O.city
01-04-2013, 06:18 PM
New England Patriots team offense:

2012: #1, 427.9 ypg
2011: #2, 428.0 ypg
2010: #8, 363.8 ypg
2009: #3, 397.3 ypg

Seems like the Patriots are generally improving as they continue to play an uptempo spread offense, instead of getting figured out.

Ok after four years, we've discussed this. Unless Brady moves to Cleveland, i'm not too worried.

The Pats use some spread concepts, but they are far from a complete spread team.

BIG_DADDY
01-04-2013, 06:19 PM
This really sucks. Hoping he would come back for national championship

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 06:20 PM

The league is moving to a more spread-oriented approach and teams are incorporating a ton of no-huddle, because it keeps defenses from switching personnel. Kelly's system can absolutely work. The question is if he will tweak the spread to fit the NFL.

Keep in mind that Kelly took somebody else's spread and came up with his own innovative twists, just like Monte Kiffin took the Tampa 2 and adapted it to fit the changing NFL. Interviews I've heard with Kelly indicate that he knows it could be a trendy defense and you have to adapt the scheme to the situation. From what I've heard, the guy is incredibly bright and learns very quickly, not like a copycat spread guy.

The offensive coordinator hire is going to be a big one. If he hires someone with NFL experience, that would help immensely in adapting his game. It's a risky hire, but I happen to think he's a smart guy who's going to find a really creative way to make his scheme fit the NFL.

mcaj22
01-04-2013, 06:21 PM
the Pats system is not fully spread

The Chiefs tried for 4 years to use a similar system with the same audibles and checks and failed miserably.

Most notably giving the QB the freedom to audible into a QB sneak or whatever they need to check down to in short yardage situations.

Tom Brady does not fail at that, our team did. Same concept though lol

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Beat Stanford by 23 points in 2011? Beat Stanford by 21 points in 2010?

Stanford's defense this year is better.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
What?

Worst case scenario is the experiment doesn't work, they've sold out to build for the spread, and have to completely gut the thing so that it resembles an NFL team again.

They're taking a HUGE risk.

You're assuming he's going to sell out for a pure college spread. Pittsburgh is a good example of a team built around a more NFL-oriented spread, and they didn't have too much problem adapting to Haley's new offense.

Again... if he runs a stubbornly college-oriented spread, I think Cleveland is doomed. But I'm intrigued by Kelly because I'm very curious to see what scheme he runs, and very possibly it's something nobody was expecting.

O.city
01-04-2013, 06:23 PM
The league is moving to a more spread-oriented approach and teams are incorporating a ton of no-huddle, because it keeps defenses from switching personnel. Kelly's system can absolutely work. The question is if he will tweak the spread to fit the NFL.

Keep in mind that Kelly took somebody else's spread and came up with his own innovative twists, just like Monte Kiffin took the Tampa 2 and adapted it to fit the changing NFL. Interviews I've heard with Kelly indicate that he knows it could be a trendy defense and you have to adapt the scheme to the situation. From what I've heard, the guy is incredibly bright and learns very quickly, not like a copycat spread guy.

The offensive coordinator hire is going to be a big one. If he hires someone with NFL experience, that would help immensely in adapting his game. It's a risky hire, but I happen to think he's a smart guy who's going to find a really creative way to make his scheme fit the NFL.

Some are confusing up tempo with the spread. THe Pats use some parts of the spread in teh passing game.

Kelly's passing game is set up by their great running game.

O.city
01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
You're assuming he's going to sell out for a pure college spread. Pittsburgh is a good example of a team built around a more NFL-oriented spread, and they didn't have too much problem adapting to Haley's new offense.

Again... if he runs a stubbornly college-oriented spread, I think Cleveland is doomed. But I'm intrigued by Kelly because I'm very curious to see what scheme he runs, and very possibly it's something nobody was expecting.

Well, IMO, if he's gonna start with running it by going with McCoy, that'd be strike 1 in my book.

Reaper16
01-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Stanford's defense this year is better.

2012: 21st in yards allowed, 14th in points allowed
2011: 26th in yards allowed, 24th in points allowed
2010: 25th in yards allowed, 12th in points allowed

Statistically they were better this year. Marginally so.

Easy 6
01-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Good for them, i really hope it works out, just like us... they're a fanbase that truly deserves something to get excited about.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Well, IMO, if he's gonna start with running it by going with McCoy, that'd be strike 1 in my book.

Exactly.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM

Bottom line is that they're essentially banking that:

1) hiring a college coach that runs a VERY unconventional offense is going to work even though pretty much every previous attempt has failed and

2) he can overcome #1 in Cleveland, where NOBODY has had much success.

I don't like the odds.

O.city
01-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Again, I'm all about hiring a coach based on what he does. Wanting him to do what he's DONE, not hoping that he changes it.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Again, I'm all about hiring a coach based on what he does. Wanting him to do what he's DONE, not hoping that he changes it.

Very good point.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Some are confusing up tempo with the spread. THe Pats use some parts of the spread in teh passing game.

Kelly's passing game is set up by their great running game.

No, I'm not confusing the two. I'm talking about up tempo because that's a system, not a scheme, and it's a concept that's being used a lot in no huddle. And typically, in a hurry up offense, you'll move to a more shotgun-oriented offense.

The Browns are going to have a terrific running game. Trent Richardson is legit and they have a good blocking o-line in front of him. And hell, may even get to bring LaGarette Blount as a RB tandem. To your other point... Weeden could be a good QB to run a more spread oriented offense.

KC Tattoo
01-04-2013, 06:41 PM
My guess is that Lovie Smith is going go to Buffalo. Todd Haley back in Arizona. Who is going be coach for the Dolts? They still got to find a GM.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Bottom line is that they're essentially banking that:

1) hiring a college coach that runs a VERY unconventional offense is going to work even though pretty much every previous attempt has failed and

2) he can overcome #1 in Cleveland, where NOBODY has had much success.

I don't like the odds.

I'm banking on the idea that Kelly is a phenomenal coach (not the X's and O's, I'm talking about a pure coach). And that he's known to be a very bright mind and that his interviews suggest that he understands that college and NFL are two different games.

I think you're completely ruling out the possibility that he hires an innovative offensive coordinator with NFL experience. There's no guarantee that Kelly is going to run the same exact scheme as in Oregon. Just the feeling that he'll likely hire a coach familiar with a more spread design and that will have willingness to run up tempo.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 07:03 PM
There's no guarantee that Kelly is going to run the same exact scheme as in Oregon.

If he's not going to run that scheme, what's the allure?

Makes no sense.

You're essentially saying "I really love this thoroughbred, he's so fast. But I really need a plow horse, so I'm gonna strap a yoke on him and hope for the best."

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 07:06 PM
If he's not going to run that scheme, what's the allure?

Makes no sense.

Because he is a phenomenal coach of players. His up tempo approach can easily mix in well with a QB and OC who like to run no huddle. And he's incredibly bright -- it's not like he can't run an NFL offense with spread orientation.

AGain, when I"m picking coaches, it's for how he can put a team together, not as much the X's and O's. The risk is in how stubborn he will be on scheme. My opinion is that he can pick a more spread-oriented OC who understands the NFL game. If he does that, this will be a really interesting pick to watch. But again... if he insists on playcalling control and/or on a college OC, then yeah, the Browns are doomed. I actually think Kelly is way too smart to do something like that.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Can't wait to laugh at the Chargers and who they end up with. Hopefully Herm Jr. or Haley ROFL

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Because he is a phenomenal coach of players. His up tempo approach can easily mix in well with a QB and OC who like to run no huddle. And he's incredibly bright -- it's not like he can't run an NFL offense with spread orientation.

AGain, when I"m picking coaches, it's for how he can put a team together, not as much the X's and O's. The risk is in how stubborn he will be on scheme. My opinion is that he can pick a more spread-oriented OC who understands the NFL game. If he does that, this will be a really interesting pick to watch. But again... if he insists on playcalling control and/or on a college OC, then yeah, the Browns are doomed. I actually think Kelly is way too smart to do something like that.

Chip Kelly recruited uber-talented players, and there's a ton of smoke that he cheated to do it.

You've honestly completely lost me. What you've said above makes zero sense. Sounds like grasping at straws.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Chip Kelly recruited uber-talented players, and there's a ton of smoke that he cheated to do it.

You've honestly completely lost me. What you've said above makes zero sense. Sounds like grasping at straws.

It's not grasping at straws.

Again, I said the scheme is a risk. He's a boom/bust guy who could either be really successful or be an absolute nightmare. But I also think he's incredibly bright and knows he can't do things the same, nor will he try.

But as a head coach... he's known to be incredibly organized, runs a terrific practice, and is incredible at disciplining players to play within the system. His up tempo approach only works because it's practically run like a machine. Let's say he delegated the entire offense to his OC (We know he won't... just pretend here). If he did that, he could still potentially be a terrific head coach.

So again... I always liked Kelly because I like coaches who are going to get the most out of their players. And Kelly will do that. The risk is in the scheme, and we just don't know what he's going to do here. Hence, boom/bust.

MotherfuckerJones
01-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Colt McCoy's been told he's in the new HCs plans ROFL

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 08:45 PM
It's not grasping at straws.

Again, I said the scheme is a risk. He's a boom/bust guy who could either be really successful or be an absolute nightmare. But I also think he's incredibly bright and knows he can't do things the same, nor will he try.

But as a head coach... he's known to be incredibly organized, runs a terrific practice, and is incredible at disciplining players to play within the system. His up tempo approach only works because it's practically run like a machine. Let's say he delegated the entire offense to his OC (We know he won't... just pretend here). If he did that, he could still potentially be a terrific head coach.

So again... I always liked Kelly because I like coaches who are going to get the most out of their players. And Kelly will do that. The risk is in the scheme, and we just don't know what he's going to do here. Hence, boom/bust.

Getting the most out of your players at the college level is a much different process than in the NFL.

Cannibal
01-04-2013, 08:50 PM

We talked about this last night. Kelly is in for a rude awakening. His biggest advantage was talent at the college level. In the NFL... he's fucked.

Have fun with the salary cap and NFL parity c unt face.

tk13
01-04-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm morbidly curious to see what the guy does in the NFL. I feel like he's the biggest boom or bust guy out there. He's either going to revolutionize the NFL or flame out horrifically.

As mentioned, my biggest concern with him though is while his teams will throw the ball, their strength has always been speed, speed and speed with the running game. I'm curious to see how Chip adjusts that to the NFL.

Cannibal
01-04-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm morbidly curious to see what the guy does in the NFL. I feel like he's the biggest boom or bust guy out there. He's either going to revolutionize the NFL or flame out horrifically.

As mentioned, my biggest concern with him though is while his teams will throw the ball, their strength has always been speed, speed and speed with the running game. I'm curious to see how Chip adjusts that to the NFL.

He will not have the speed/talent discrepancy he had in college. I think he's going to flame out.

KC Tattoo
01-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Can't wait to laugh at the Chargers and who they end up with. Hopefully Herm Jr. or Haley ROFL

We are going be two steps ahead of them. First with Coach then with GM. They still have to pick a GM to hire a coach. I like the way Clark got shit done this week. He came out said exactly what he wanted to do and did it.

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Getting the most out of your players at the college level is a much different process than in the NFL.

Again, he gets his players to play disciplined, well executed football. And his players are extraordinarily well conditioned and play hard for him. That, more than anything, is something that will easily translate on the NFL level. It was once noted that he runs one of the most effective practices in the game.

PackerinMo
01-04-2013, 08:57 PM
This has fail written all over it imho.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Again, he gets his players to play disciplined, well executed football. And his players are extraordinarily well conditioned and play hard for him. That, more than anything, is something that will easily translate on the NFL level. It was once noted that he runs one of the most effective practices in the game.

Lots of coaches in the NFL can do that. That doesn't set him apart.

Mr. Kotter
01-04-2013, 09:05 PM
You know what is funniest about this....Wheeden. Nuff said.

Does anyone REALLY care at this point--especially, tonight??? :shrug:

LMAO

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Lots of coaches in the NFL can do that. That doesn't set him apart.

I really, really disagree with that.

You've seen I'm pretty consistent on this. This is my #1 criteria for a head coach. Norv and Romeo don't discipline their players because they're afraid to not be somebody's friend. Gunther Cunningham and Rex Ryan are all empty words. Lots of guys don't have the people skills to lead or motivate. A lot of them are like that really smart guy in class that can ace every exam, but could never sell anything on the road because nobody buys what you're selling.

So to me, Chip Kelly has that in spades. Something many good X's and O's guys don't have. So the Browns get that. Again, the question will become if his power gets to his head and/or if his scheme adapts. But at the very least, think Cleveland will be a very well coached team that won't make many mistakes and will play really hard for Kelly.

htismaqe
01-04-2013, 09:15 PM
I really, really disagree with that.

You've seen I'm pretty consistent on this. This is my #1 criteria for a head coach. Norv and Romeo don't discipline their players because they're afraid to not be somebody's friend. Gunther Cunningham and Rex Ryan are all empty words. Lots of guys don't have the people skills to lead or motivate. A lot of them are like that really smart guy in class that can ace every exam, but could never sell anything on the road because nobody buys what you're selling.

So to me, Chip Kelly has that in spades. Something many good X's and O's guys don't have. So the Browns get that. Again, the question will become if his power gets to his head and/or if his scheme adapts. But at the very least, think Cleveland will be a very well coached team that won't make many mistakes and will play really hard for Kelly.

So he's got the goods to be an 8-8 NFL coach. What does he have that gets him to that NEXT level?

chiefzilla1501
01-04-2013, 09:22 PM
So he's got the goods to be an 8-8 NFL coach. What does he have that gets him to that NEXT level?

If his scheme is good and talent evaluation is solid, that leadership makes his team a playoff team. But Chip Kelly is an unusual case, where his scheme is probably going to be really inventive and very successful, or it's going to be really bad.

Again, it's boom/bust. But unlike a lot of other innovators, the team won't fail for lack of leadership.

Canofbier
01-04-2013, 09:29 PM
I hope that the rumors a out him going to Cleveland are true; his already boom-or-bust nature will be accentuated by the Browns. If he succeeds, we'll get to witness the unlikely rise of a dynasty. If he fails, we can feel assured as fans that our owner made the right decision with Reid. It's win-win.

MotherfuckerJones
01-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Jesus they jumped the gun again

:facepalm:

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport
Sources: Kelly meets Browns, continues tour http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8814457/sources-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-meets-cleveland-browns-talk-buffalo-bills-philadelphia-eagles …
View summary

Buehler445
01-04-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm not ready for the risk. I was this close --><-- to just saying "fuck it" and walking away for good.

I don't want to see experiments right now. I want to see them build up a consistent winner and get to a Super Bowl soon.

I hear you dude. I was about done too, but it was all Pioli. Pioli is gone and I want a motherfucking Super Bowl. I want to beat everybody's fucking ass every fucking game.

We've been down the "proven" route and it's gotten us a whole lot of not a goddamn thing.

Chip Kelly is the boom or bust guy. If he's as smart as he thinks he is, win. If not, there's the fucking door, assface.

Weren't you the one that had in your sig something about a treadmill of mediocrity? You're also infamous for the quote of "Better than bad does not equal good." I'm not trashing on you, I just want the smartest guy in the league, and Reid smells like mediocrity.

That being said, there are a lot of good points to not want Chip Kelly. But still, I want Super Bowl wins, not mediocrity, and I can't help but think mediocrity is where we are headed.

Crush
01-05-2013, 12:01 AM

Sources: Kelly meets Browns, continues tour http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8814457/sources-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-meets-cleveland-browns-talk-buffalo-bills-philadelphia-eagles …
View summary

Ian Rapoport is apparently a Nick Athan incarnation. The guy is wrong about everything and piggybacks off both Schefter and Mortensen. This guy was still beating the Ferentz drum as late as Thursday.

BigMeatballDave
01-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Last time it was ESPN/Shefter that got ahead of themselves.

htismaqe
01-05-2013, 09:11 AM
I hear you dude. I was about done too, but it was all Pioli. Pioli is gone and I want a motherfucking Super Bowl. I want to beat everybody's fucking ass every fucking game.

We've been down the "proven" route and it's gotten us a whole lot of not a goddamn thing.

Chip Kelly is the boom or bust guy. If he's as smart as he thinks he is, win. If not, there's the fucking door, assface.

Weren't you the one that had in your sig something about a treadmill of mediocrity? You're also infamous for the quote of "Better than bad does not equal good." I'm not trashing on you, I just want the smartest guy in the league, and Reid smells like mediocrity.

That being said, there are a lot of good points to not want Chip Kelly. But still, I want Super Bowl wins, not mediocrity, and I can't help but think mediocrity is where we are headed.

14 seasons, 10 playoff wins, 5 appearances in the NFCC, and 1 appearance in the Super Bowl smells like mediocrity.

htismaqe
01-05-2013, 09:16 AM
I heard a couple more interesting points this morning.

Chip Kelly is a master motivator, we all know that. But can he motivate players that are making as much money as he is? Some of his methods likely won't work and beyond that, some of his practice methods MIGHT NOT BE ALLOWED under the current CBA.

We've also discussed his offense and how it relies on spacing. What I hadn't considered (and didn't realize until I saw some stuff on it this morning) is that his offense relies heavily on running to the wide side one field, aka MORE space. The hash marks in the NFL are different than in college. The NFL field is much more balanced - the wide side of the field isn't nearly as wide.

PhillyChiefFan
01-05-2013, 09:25 AM

View summary

Yea, bout tired of this shit of trying to be the first to break news when it's not even close to the facts.

MotherfuckerJones
01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Last time it was ESPN/Shefter that got ahead of themselves.

No they were basing it off NFL network reports I thought

Canofbier
01-05-2013, 11:45 AM
FWIW, Oregon's Kelly Close to Browns Deal (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000122151/article/chip-kelly-cleveland-browns-very-close-to-deal) is still a top headline on NFL.com.

Buehler445
01-05-2013, 11:56 AM
14 seasons, 10 playoff wins, 5 appearances in the NFCC, and 1 appearance in the Super Bowl smells like mediocrity.

I think if he were here for 14 years without a Super Bowl, there would be a lot of talk about mediocrity. Maybe not. I don't know.

It just sounds a lot like the stuff we've heard before. "Proven Winner" "Sure Thing" "Best Coach on the Market".

All of it.

I'm still optimistic. There are a ton of good things that could happen out of all this, but I'm worried.

htismaqe
01-05-2013, 12:05 PM
I think if he were here for 14 years without a Super Bowl, there would be a lot of talk about mediocrity. Maybe not. I don't know.

It just sounds a lot like the stuff we've heard before. "Proven Winner" "Sure Thing" "Best Coach on the Market".

All of it.

I'm still optimistic. There are a ton of good things that could happen out of all this, but I'm worried.

Sure. But he hasn't been here 14 DAYS.

Like I said before, if a coach hasn't won it in 5 years it's time to move on. Look at Reid's first 5 years. Pretty impressive.

O.city
01-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Statistics say that Reid has a much better chance of winning a SB here than Gruden or Cowher. Things go sour when you are in the same place that long.

I'm willing to give him, like the previous regime, enough time to prove one way or another.

Buehler445
01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Sure. But he hasn't been here 14 DAYS.

Like I said before, if a coach hasn't won it in 5 years it's time to move on. Look at Reid's first 5 years. Pretty impressive.

That's fair enough.

Micjones
01-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Better Cleveland than Philadelphia.
That'd be a horrible place to have your first NFL coaching gig.

Seems like Kelly would be better served being an OC in the NFL first, but I can't blame him for aiming high and taking every penny they pay out.

htismaqe
01-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Statistics say that Reid has a much better chance of winning a SB here than Gruden or Cowher. Things go sour when you are in the same place that long.

I'm willing to give him, like the previous regime, enough time to prove one way or another.

I wouldn't have turned on the previous regime so fast if it weren't for the CIA bullshit.

DeezNutz
01-05-2013, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't have turned on the previous regime so fast if it weren't for the CIA bullshit.

While true, it was awfully hard to try to conjure a hint of optimism for the RAC hire or Pioli's dishonesty about the QB position.

Dude was just a strange combo of incompetence and assholishness.

Mile High Mania
01-05-2013, 01:29 PM

Statistics? You talking about the coach with his 2nd team thing? If so, I wouldn't put much stock there.

O.city
01-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Statistics? You talking about the coach with his 2nd team thing? If so, I wouldn't put much stock there.

One thing has happened 10 of the last 15 times, IIRC. The other has never happened.

I don't really put alot of stock into it, cause it's just that damn hard to win a SB.

Mr. Laz
01-06-2013, 11:14 AM
apparently negotiations with Chip Kelly have fallen through and Cleveland execs have left without Chip Kelly.

Mortenson just said 'Chip Kelly will not be the next Head Coach of the Cleveland Browns'

i suppose things could start back up again :shrug:

maybe another team told his agent that they would pay more?

OnTheWarpath15
01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
BUT THEY WERE SO CLOSE!

Ian Rapoport should be out of a job after the last week.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-06-2013, 11:17 AM

You're right. Fox will fail.

jd1020
01-06-2013, 11:18 AM
apparently negotiations with Chip Kelly have fallen through and Cleveland execs have left without Chip Kelly.

Mortenson just said 'Chip Kelly will not be the next Head Coach of the Cleveland Browns'

i suppose things could start back up again :shrug:

maybe another team told his agent that they would pay more?

Eagles.

The Bad Guy
BUT THEY WERE SO CLOSE!

Crap sheet is the worst journalist ever. He and Teicher are neck and neck.

I've been hammering him on Twitter all week. He has an agenda for pro Patriot way.

The Bad Guy
Eagles.

Staying at Oregon.

jd1020
01-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Staying at Oregon.

With the NCAA breathing down that programs neck? Doubt it.

Buehler445
01-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Crap sheet is the worst journalist ever. He and Teicher are neck and neck.

I've been hammering him on Twitter all week. He has an agenda for pro Patriot way.

ROFL

I'm out of the twitter-verse. Do they actually respond when you stack the shit on them?

The Bad Guy
01-06-2013, 11:23 AM
ROFL

I'm out of the twitter-verse. Do they actually respond when you stack the shit on them?

He has. He was pushing his pro Feretz agenda last week and I told him how he should get off of Pioli's bank that Ferentz had no chance and then he DM'd me that he knew more than I did.

The Bad Guy
01-06-2013, 11:23 AM
With the NCAA breathing down that programs neck? Doubt it.

Phil Knight is backing up the Brinks Truck for him.

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Phil Knight is backing up the Brinks Truck for him.

I don't think that matters given that Kelly is probably going to get slammed with sanctions. For a coach who seems like he'd really like to try out the NFL, the timing couldn't be any better for him to try.

the Talking Can
01-06-2013, 11:25 AM
bills hired marrone...no clue about that guy

The Bad Guy
01-06-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't think that matters given that Kelly is probably going to get slammed with sanctions. For a coach who seems like he'd really like to try out the NFL, the timing couldn't be any better for him to try.

Then you tell me why take an NFL team out of the running to use as leverage for your services?

BigMeatballDave
01-06-2013, 11:29 AM
BUT THEY WERE SO CLOSE!

I agree, he sucks.

Chief Roundup
01-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Good Ole Ian Rappawrongport.

Deberg_1990
01-06-2013, 08:42 PM
So now they are saying Kelly might just stay at Oregon. Wow....
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr_Tomahawk
01-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Awesome.

Superturtle
01-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Wow. Glad we got Reid locked up before that happened.

jd1020
01-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Colt McCoy was like: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

tk13
01-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Schefter was on ESPN just now. Basically said no one really knows what he's going to do. It will be Oregon or the Eagles, but nobody really knows where he's leaning.

Also said Lovie Smith is probably going to interview with San Diego.

MotherfuckerJones
01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Well I wouldnt of hired a college coach with no NFL experience, does he have any?, the players in tough times wont like him

MotherfuckerJones
01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Lovie PLEASE go to SD!

-King-
01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Browns claim they walked away from Chip Kelly
Posted by Mike Florio on January 6, 2013, 8:26 PM EST

As the Browns try to “reboot” their coaching search without Chip Kelly in the mix, the spin from Cleveland is, essentially, “It’s not me, it’s you.”

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns decided to walk away from Kelly after sensing that he was “waffling” on whether to leave college football.

Sorry, but we’re not buying that one. The Browns ultimately need to be able to say that they got the right man for the job. That includes being able to say that Kelly, who appeared as of Friday to be the right man for the job, was the wrong man for the job.

And while we’ve had a little too much fun chiding the reports that a deal between the Browns and Kelly was close, the Browns had every reason to dispute those reports, if they weren’t true. Instead, the Browns remained silent until after Kelly spent more time than expected meeting with the Eagles on Saturday– and possibly trying to get Philly to match or to beat whatever the Browns had offered him.

So while it’s clear that something happened that soured the Browns on Kelly, it likely has more to do with how he handled the negotiations to make the move to the NFL than whether he’s ready to make the move at all..

-King-
01-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Lovie PLEASE go to SD!

Why? He's not a bad coach by any stretch.

Superturtle
01-06-2013, 09:04 PM
I still dont understand why he would consider the Browns. Eagles appear to be more of a team suited to his offensive style.

BIG_DADDY
01-06-2013, 09:05 PM
I still dont understand why he would consider the Browns. Eagles appear to be more of a team suited to his offensive style.

He should stay put with the roster of Freshman he had this last year.

jd1020
01-06-2013, 09:08 PM
He should stay put with the roster of Freshman he had this last year.

He should GTFO of town before the wrath of god rains shit all over Oregon.

MotherfuckerJones
01-06-2013, 09:08 PM

Excellent PR move. Thats the we ditched him. So that browns fans cant bitch about not getting him

MotherfuckerJones
01-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Why? He's not a bad coach by any stretch.

I know players play. But man 7-1 and they didnt make the playoffs. I really dont care who SD gets. Phillip Rivers is falling and fast

-King-
01-06-2013, 09:13 PM
I know players play. But man 7-1 and they didnt make the playoffs. I really dont care who SD gets. Phillip Rivers is falling and fast

So? He averages 9 wins per season. 10 if you don't count his first season.

And that's mostly with QBs who are shit ton worse than Phillip Rivers.

JoeyChuckles
Poor Browns. Let's try to distance ourselves from that franchise if we can.

Superturtle
Excellent PR move. Thats the we ditched him. So that browns fans cant bitch about not getting him
How is that a good PR move? If the Browns get a subpar coach the fans are going to be livid regardless. Saying that Chip Kelly wasnt a good enough coach before that will be even worse.

Red Dawg
01-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Hope he can turn them around. With the success our team has had, we should feel for their fans as well. Kindred spirits, they are.

You sounded just like yoda you did.

MotherfuckerJones
01-06-2013, 09:30 PM
How is that a good PR move? If the Browns get a subpar coach the fans are going to be livid regardless. Saying that Chip Kelly wasnt a good enough coach before that will be even worse.

I didnt say it would work but its a good PR move to make it sound like they didnt miss out on him, thus pissing off their fan base for not getting a top candidate

BIG_DADDY
01-06-2013, 09:34 PM
He should GTFO of town before the wrath of god rains shit all over Oregon.

God? You mean the powers that be in the SEC? LMAO

jd1020
01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
God? You mean the powers that be in the SEC? LMAO

God will have his say you non believer!

BIG_DADDY
01-06-2013, 09:39 PM
God will have his say you non believer!

They are the most exciting team in sports, hands down. I hope you are wrong.

EagleRob
01-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Twitter-verse says Kelly just officially turned down the Eagles and has decided to return to Oregon. Oh thank God.

MotherfuckerJones
01-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Im just not that impressed with Chip as an NFL coach right now and he keeps spurning teams I wonder if he's gona be frowned upon

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Holy cow. What a scumbag.

Hope Oregon gets hard with sanctions. I thought he was better than this.

The Bad Guy
01-06-2013, 10:01 PM

He's a scumbag because he's comfortable at Oregon?

You have some of the worst takes on this board.

Superturtle
01-06-2013, 10:03 PM

LOLWUT?

BossChief
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
He will get a big bump in pay... Like Obrien did at Penn St.

Titty Meat
01-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Is there any doubt clark got the best guy?

Superturtle
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Hard to argue that anyone that was available is better.

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
He's a scumbag because he's comfortable at Oregon?

You have some of the worst takes on this board.

Think it's a pretty shitty move to cheat and bring sanctions to your program, then fake interest in the NFL to negotiate a pay raise. Tressel was run out of town for doing pretty much the same thing. Kelly gets a pay raise.

Sorry, I think it's a dick move.

-King-
01-06-2013, 10:10 PM

Weren't you talking shit about Clark the other day?

MotherfuckerJones
01-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Think it's a pretty shitty move to cheat and bring sanctions to your program, then fake interest in the NFL to negotiate a pay raise. Tressel was run out of town for doing pretty much the same thing. Kelly gets a pay raise.

Atleast he's staying and will deal with them. He isnt the only coach with sanctions. Honestly most of these are stupid unless kids are cheating. If they receive money screw it

MotherfuckerJones
01-06-2013, 10:22 PM
I was reserving my Clark impression until after he hired a HC and if there was a new GM

BIG_DADDY
01-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Twitter-verse says Kelly just officially turned down the Eagles and has decided to return to Oregon. Oh thank God.

Thank God, indeed. Welcome home.

tk13
01-06-2013, 10:24 PM

I guess. As opposed to Pete Carroll, who got out and hung his program out to dry. Kelly's at least sticking with them.

chiefzilla1501
01-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I guess. As opposed to Pete Carroll, who got out and hung his program out to dry. Kelly's at least sticking with them.

That's a fair point, but let's not act like this was some act of loyalty. Seems to be driven by money. By the way, think what Carroll did was shitty too.

Just pointing out that Kelly brought potentially years of sanctions on the program and lost Oregon a shitload of bowl game revenue, not to mention stripping fans of that. Think it takes a bit of nerve to not only negotiate a pay raise, but to play hard ball. Not to mention wasting 7 hours of the Browns' time for an interview that was conducted purely for leverage.

BigMeatballDave
01-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Thank God, indeed. Welcome home.

Enjoy your 3 years of probation! :)

Titty Meat
01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Weren't you talking shit about Clark the other day?

When it was reported reid to az and the chiefs were interviewing keith armstrong yes.

MotherfuckerJones
01-06-2013, 10:38 PM
When it was reported reid to az and the chiefs were interviewing keith armstrong yes.

What a difference 4 days can make huh?

teedubya
01-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Phil Knight backed up the Brinks truck, I'd bet.

Strongside
01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
The national media has made themselves out to be incredibly idiotic over the last couple weeks. First Reid was ready to sign with AZ, now he's in KC. Next, Kelly is signing with the Browns and now he's in Oregon.

Fucking morons.

BigMeatballDave
01-06-2013, 10:46 PM

Overreaction. Per usual.

MotherfuckerJones
01-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Overreaction. Per usual.

Yes I was being patient. Got a little impatient once they said the deal was close for 3 days LMAO

MotherfuckerJones
01-07-2013, 07:15 AM
:facepalm: damn athan on 610 said norv turner is a possibility. We havent heard his name at all. God he just makes shit up.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2013, 09:21 AM
heh, lots of scuttlebutt now that Phil Knight made it very $$rewarding$$ for Kelly to stay at Oregon. If thats the case, glad he stayed.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-29615-how_did_phil_knight_.html

After Chip Kelly done run off to the big city for the weekend—and then, very unexpectedly, returned home last night to Phil Knight's farm—speculation has run rampant in the sports biosphere about why the Oregon Ducks coach would spurn the National Football League's glamour and cash.

We're as puzzled as anybody. But it's worth remembering that Kelly is hardly coming back to a cardboard box and some soda crackers.

John Locanthi's WW cover story last month on Kelly examined the perks that come with the coach's $3.5 million annual salary: two cars, an Autzen Stadium skybox suite for his guests, and a bonus of at least $200,000 for that elusive unbeaten season.

Read the story for the full list of swag.

WW also reported that Kelly has a frosty relationship with many University of Oregon boosters. What's fascinating about this weekend's reversal is that reports say one booster helped change Kelly's mind.

Yep, it's Knight. NFL reporters say the Nike founder and #1 Duck fan made a "push" to keep Kelly here.

If those reports are true, they amount to a spectacular coup for Knight: He has, in a single month, managed to make the nation's most coveted football coach and the Oregon Legislature dance to his tune.

chiefzilla1501
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
heh, lots of scuttlebutt now that Phil Knight made it very $$rewarding$$ for Kelly to stay at Oregon. If thats the case, glad he stayed.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-29615-how_did_phil_knight_.html

After Chip Kelly done run off to the big city for the weekend—and then, very unexpectedly, returned home last night to Phil Knight's farm—speculation has run rampant in the sports biosphere about why the Oregon Ducks coach would spurn the National Football League's glamour and cash.

We're as puzzled as anybody. But it's worth remembering that Kelly is hardly coming back to a cardboard box and some soda crackers.

John Locanthi's WW cover story last month on Kelly examined the perks that come with the coach's $3.5 million annual salary: two cars, an Autzen Stadium skybox suite for his guests, and a bonus of at least $200,000 for that elusive unbeaten season.

Read the story for the full list of swag.

WW also reported that Kelly has a frosty relationship with many University of Oregon boosters. What's fascinating about this weekend's reversal is that reports say one booster helped change Kelly's mind.

Yep, it's Knight. NFL reporters say the Nike founder and #1 Duck fan made a "push" to keep Kelly here.

If those reports are true, they amount to a spectacular coup for Knight: He has, in a single month, managed to make the nation's most coveted football coach and the Oregon Legislature dance to his tune.

What a scumbag. You are about to embarrass your program with sanctions. Then you hardball your boosters to give you more money in that same year. It's almost thumbing your nose at the ncaa to take money from boosters at a time like this.

Can we at least stop treating him like a hero because he was so noble to return

-King-
01-14-2013, 11:59 AM
What a scumbag. You are about to embarrass your program with sanctions. Then you hardball your boosters to give you more money in that same year. It's almost thumbing your nose at the ncaa to take money from boosters at a time like this.

Who's treating him like a hero?
Posted via Mobile Device

the Talking Can
01-14-2013, 12:02 PM

who are you talking to?

and did he bang your mom or your sister?