PDA

View Full Version : Football Flacco - Franchise QB?

tk13
01-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Tons and tons of debate about this during the game thread today. I'll throw the chew toy on the floor, go at it.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Flacco > PM

Bowser
01-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Hard to argue with the success he's had. Hasn't gotten to the Super Bowl yet, but his playoff record ain't bad at all.

I'd take him on my team.

DeezNutz
Good enough to take a team to a SB (and win it) and provides long-term, high-quality stability at the QB position.

Not elite, but because of all of the above qualities, I will define him as a franchise QB.

mdchiefsfan
That was impressive, but can he be consistent?

Shaid
So inaccurate today. He was awful.

MahiMike
01-12-2013, 08:11 PM
This was what I expected at the beginning of the year when I drafted Flacco and Torrey Smith.

dirk digler
definitely

milkman
I wonder how Flacco would be playing with a staff that wasn't so damn conservative.

It's difficult to get into a rythm when you are only passing on third down plays.

LiveSteam
He is the Jim Kelly of Baltimore. Well almost

Mr_Tomahawk
That was impressive, but can he be consistent?

Isn't he the first QB to go to the playoffs each of his 1st five years in the league...?

I'll take it.

BigMeatballDave
Very good.

Not elite.

-King-
01-12-2013, 08:12 PM
He's a very decent QB. I don't think he'll ever be more than that though. But you can win a SB with a very decent QB.

notorious
Wow.

When the Baltimore OC turned him loose, he raped Denver.

Chiefnj2
If Bolden doesn't drop an easy ball in the endzone last year in the closing minute, he's in the Super Bowl. He isn't riding the D like he did years ago.

milkman
01-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Hard to argue with the success he's had. Hasn't gotten to the Super Bowl yet, but his playoff record ain't bad at all.

I'd take him on my team.

He was pretty mediocre his first 6 games or so, and carried by the defense in those early wins.

But he has stepped up his game in the 4 or so games.

Came up with some huge plays today.

Chiefnj2
Isn't he the first QB to go to the playoffs each of his 1st five years in the league...?

I'll take it.

And win at least 1 game each year.

SAUTO
I choose yes, but he needs to have better decision making. Dropped ints in this game saved his ass
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
01-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Too inconsistent.

LiveSteam
01-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Wow.

He has a strong arm. Its not his fault. He had the Pats beat last year. Just catch the fucking ball. That pass was there

LiveSteam
01-12-2013, 08:15 PM
His receivers are Too inconsistent.

FYP

Molitoth
01-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Very good.

Not elite.

This.

Shaid
01-12-2013, 08:20 PM
I saw a lot of inaccurate throws. Some of the long plays he just tossed it up and the defense just played it bad. People have seen too much Matt Cassel, everything looks good in comparison. He's decent but it's tough for me to put franchise by his name. I'd say Russel Wilson is better than him. In fact, 3 rookie QBs are better.

Bump
01-12-2013, 08:20 PM
you should also take into account that the Ravens really should have made it to the Superbowl last year as well, I mean they got FUCKED.

Rasputin
01-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Yes he is a franchise QB. For the Ravens.

I didn't vote because I do not want him as our franchise QB. Give me Geno Smith. We deserve our own franchise QB from the draft.

hometeam
01-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Hes shown this year that he is a franchise QB. He isnt Brady, but hes Matt Ryan, hes Trent Green.

MahiMike
01-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Wow.

Agreed. They never converted 3rd down in the 1st half because they were taking huge shots downfield. I loved it. Wonder where it went in the 2nd half?

Rasputin
01-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Both Matt Ryan and Flacco are franchise QBs for their teams. Every year they put their teams in the playoffs. To become "ELITE" they have to win in the playoffs and Super Bowls with making clutch QB play. Not just to count on their defenses to save them.

TribalElder
01-12-2013, 08:26 PM
I might be wrong but I think flacco is the all time leading QB when it comes to playoff victories on the road

Bugeater
01-12-2013, 08:28 PM
To all the people voting yes, would you trade our #1 pick for him?

Gadzooks
01-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Hes shown this year that he is a franchise QB. He isnt Brady, but hes Matt Ryan, hes Trent Green.

When was Trent Green ever considered a "franchise" QB?!?

BTW - Flacco made himself a lot of $$$ today.

crossbow
01-12-2013, 08:37 PM
That game tying TD was cool. He had to step up to avoid the sack and he fired off a strike between two corners.

SAUTO
01-12-2013, 08:39 PM

No.

But if we draft a defensive lineman or a tackle I reserve the right to flip flop.

If we take Geno Smith I'm taking him
Posted via Mobile Device

hometeam
01-12-2013, 08:39 PM

With a third consecutive 4,000 yard season, Green joins Drew Bledsoe, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Philip Rivers, Warren Moon, and Tony Romo as the only quarterbacks in NFL history to pass for more than 4,000 yards in three or more seasons during their careers

He had several very productive years here, and even though he had more picks than TD's his first year, still threw for over 3700 yards. Trent Green wasnt a great QB, but he was the entry level franchise QB, same as Flacco.

chiefzilla1501
01-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Good enough to take a team to a SB (and win it) and provides long-term, high-quality stability at the QB position.

Not elite, but because of all of the above qualities, I will define him as a franchise QB.

I would agree with you here on many fronts. Except I'd replace your first sentence with "Good enough to take a GOOD SUPPORTING CAST to a SB...."

But also agree with how you separated "franchise" from "elite." There are about 4-5 elite QBs in the league in any era, and no team should beat themselves up for not finding them. Flacco isn't in that category and I don't think he ever will be.

RJ
01-12-2013, 08:47 PM
He was a Lee Evans drop from playing in the Super Bowl last year. So, yeah.

DeezNutz
01-12-2013, 08:47 PM
I would agree with you here on many fronts. Except I'd replace your first sentence with "Good enough to take a GOOD SUPPORTING CAST to a SB...."

But also agree with how you separated "franchise" from "elite." There are about 4-5 elite QBs in the league in any era, and no team should beat themselves up for not finding them. Flacco isn't in that category and I don't think he ever will be.

That's fair. He's an unusual case in that he doesn't need to be carried, but he's not going to carry a team consistently, either.

chiefzilla1501
01-12-2013, 08:48 PM

No. I would rather swing for the fences and try to find our elite QB. Reid is a guy who loves to pass the ball a ton. I don't know that I'd trust Flacco in an unbalanced offense.

Imon Yourside
01-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Never been a fan, and wouldn't want him on my team but it's hard to argue against the guy. He's more clutch than PM ever was.

Setsuna
01-12-2013, 08:50 PM
23 people in here are flat out snake bit after Trent Green to vote "Yes"

chiefzilla1501
01-12-2013, 08:52 PM

Trent Green was absolutely a franchise QB. Elite? No. Franchise, yes.

You put him on Baltimore's team with Flacco's supporting cast, and I bet he'd be every bit as successful as Flacco has been.

JD10367
01-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Flacco is very good, but not great. He threw some deep balls today that had no right being caught. Today was more about horrible pass D than Flacco being a franchise QB.

If Flacco can go on the road and beat the Patriots or Texans, and be one of the major factors, maybe I'll change my mind.

DeezNutz
01-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Trent Green was absolutely a franchise QB. Elite? No. Franchise, yes.

You put him on Baltimore's team with Flacco's supporting cast, and I bet he'd be every bit as successful as Flacco has been.

He was not a franchise QB because of his short time with the team. Not enough years.

AussieChiefsFan
01-12-2013, 08:58 PM
Well his success is undeniable

hometeam
01-12-2013, 09:08 PM
He was not a franchise QB because of his short time with the team. Not enough years.

Flacco has only had one more year, and they have comparable numbers except for Greens massive advantage in yardage. Trent was a fledgling franchise QB whos career was ended with a massive concussion.

Flacco is a fledgling franchise QB with a defense, hence the playoff wins. I think they are very comparable at this point in Flaccos carreer

BlackHelicopters
01-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Flacco was good today. Manning sucked.

The Bad Guy
01-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Flacco's absolutely a QB you build around.

I would trade this #1 for him in 1.2 seconds.

Setsuna
01-12-2013, 09:12 PM

.....I'll let the rest of CP handle this.

ChiefsCountry
01-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Flaaco picked a good time to start being good again. He is going to get a nice fat check from Bisciotti this offseason.

mcan
01-12-2013, 09:13 PM
No no no. Flacco is not a great qb. He made a couple of really great throws, but he just doesn't have it upstairs. He's Grbac with better accuracy.

The Bad Guy
01-12-2013, 09:14 PM

Eat my shit, Blaine.

milkman

I think Flacco is continuing to develop, but there's no way in hell I'm trading that pick for him.

As time passes, I fully expect for Kaepernick, and Russel Wilson to surpass him in the QB ranks, not to mention Luck and RGIII.

The #1 overall should be dedicated to a dynamic playmaker, and Flacco will never be that.

Mr_Tomahawk

I'd trade out #1 for him.

CoMoChief
01-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Hell never be a top10 QB...but he's a massive upgrade to the pile of dogshit we've been trotting out there since Green.

DaFace
01-12-2013, 09:15 PM
It's a tough question. If we're asking "Would I rather have Joe Flacco than picking one of the QB's we have a chance to have in the draft?" I'd have to say yes. But I'd be disappointed about it.

Brock
01-12-2013, 09:17 PM
I would have liked to have drafted him instead of glen dorsey. But no, I wouldn't give up anything substantial to get him, nor would I rather have him than just drafting one.

mcan
01-12-2013, 09:18 PM
But wow, the play right before the big bomb that tied the game (which was a massive under throw and should have been picked) Flacco scrambled with a minute left in the game. He's just one of those guys that is going to have the tools to win close games but shit the bed doing stupid things. Glad he didn't today though.

AussieChiefsFan
01-12-2013, 09:19 PM

:spock:

milkman
01-12-2013, 09:20 PM
I think Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson have higher ceilings than Flacco.

I am taking one of those with that pick, and not even considering Flacco in trade with it.

Flacco is the safe route.

Drafting an unproven college QB is the risky route, but that is the route I am taking.

You can not achieve greatness if you are unwilling to risk failure to achieve it.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-12-2013, 09:21 PM
I will forever refer to him as "The Donkey Slayer"

RunKC
01-12-2013, 09:32 PM
I think Flacco is continuing to develop, but there's no way in hell I'm trading that pick for him.

As time passes, I fully expect for Kaepernick, and Russel Wilson to surpass him in the QB ranks, not to mention Luck and RGIII.

The #1 overall should be dedicated to a dynamic playmaker, and Flacco will never be that.

I would trade the first overall pick for him. He has a very strong arm and is nails on the road. The guy just doesn't break.

He put Baltimore in the position to be in the SB last year. He outplayed Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. He's absolutely a guy to build around.

I think he's just starting to reach his ceiling this year too. Would not be surprised to see him lead that team to the SB.

Chiefs=Champions
01-12-2013, 09:34 PM
I honestly think he has had several large obstacles to overcome. A team which has always valued defense, conservative coaching and bad play calling. He is a franchise qb, maybe just not an elite one...

ChiefsCountry
01-12-2013, 09:35 PM
He turns 28 this week. Its the age you start winning championships.

milkman
01-12-2013, 09:37 PM
I would trade the first overall pick for him. He has a very strong arm and is nails on the road. The guy just doesn't break.

He put Baltimore in the position to be in the SB last year. He outplayed Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. He's absolutely a guy to build around.

I think he's just starting to reach his ceiling this year too. Would not be surprised to see him lead that team to the SB.

Let em ask you this.

Would you rather build a team around Joe Flacco or Colin Kaepernick?

Easy 6
01-12-2013, 09:39 PM
I'm still going to say NO, that doesnt diminish a gutty road performance but i still wouldnt want him leading my future.

He did have a killer road game, but i need to see MUCH more before i fall in love with this big pocket passer.

The bomb that kept them in it never would've happened if that safety had been playing ball, Joe got it there, sure... but if not for the egregious error, the ravens go home angry.

He swayed me a bit, but not enough yet.

ChiefsCountry
01-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Let em ask you this.

Me I would rather build around Flacco. Kapernick's running ability will eventually go away espeically after the NFL coordinators have more tape on him.

RunKC
Let em ask you this.

Depends on how Kaepernick plays the rest of the game tonight and next week if they make it.

Flacco has shown he can get his team to the SB. He's also outplayed Manning AND Brady on the road. Idk what else you could ask for from a QB in our conference?

Red And Yellow
I like anyone who can throw the ball longer then 10 yards, he's damn good at the long ball

RJ
01-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Flacco is very good, but not great. He threw some deep balls today that had no right being caught. Today was more about horrible pass D than Flacco being a franchise QB.

If Flacco can go on the road and beat the Patriots or Texans, and be one of the major factors, maybe I'll change my mind.

Agree on the not great, but those balls never get caught without the arm to get them there.

SAUTO
01-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Depends on how Kaepernick plays the rest of the game tonight and next week if they make it.

Flacco has shown he can get his team to the SB. He's also outplayed Manning AND Brady on the road. Idk what else you could ask for from a QB in our conference?

He hasn't shown he can team his team to a super bowl. They lost and didn't get there
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
01-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Pretty clear Kaepernick is establishing himself as a top tier QB right before our eyes. I'd take him over nearly anyone at this point.

CoMoChief
01-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Let em ask you this.

Kaepernick and it's not even close. You take the dual threat guy...and CK is probably the better overall QB anyways and is only going to get better.

RJ
01-12-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm a Flacco fan but would take Kaepernick given that choice. For sure.

Setsuna
01-12-2013, 10:17 PM
I'd trade out #1 for him.

Butthurt that your boy Wilson isn't going #1 overall even if all the QBs in the draft decided not to go in the draft? It's ok. He'll end up in Buffalo freezing his butt off and failing.

FloridaMan88
01-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Based on past QB's with similar style of play as Kaepernick, he doesn't have a long shelf life in the NFL.

Flacco on the other hand hasn't missed a start in 5 seasons and can play at a high level for another 10 years.

I'll take Flacco.

CoMoChief
01-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Based on past QB's with similar style of play as Kaepernick, he doesn't have a long shelf life in the NFL.

Flacco on the other hand hasn't missed a start in 5 seasons and can play at a high level for another 10 years.

I'll take Flacco.

CK isn't a run first QB anyways. He will use his younger days to make plays w/ his legs while he masters the NFL game, and eventually will turn into a fine pocket passer.

milkman
01-12-2013, 11:02 PM

I'll take Flacco.

Who, exactly, are you comparing Kaepernick to?

DeezNutz
01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Cunningham was every bit the dynamic athlete that any of these guys are, likely far more gifted. But the mindset of the league just hadn't evolved at that time. Today? Whoa...guy would be ridiculous in the right system under the right HC.

Sorter
01-12-2013, 11:08 PM
I wonder how Flacco would be playing with a staff that wasn't so damn conservative.

It's difficult to get into a rythm when you are only passing on third down plays.

Yup.

chiefzilla1501
01-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Let's be careful about hyping up Kaepernick's stock. He's played terrific, but keep in mind this is a team that is so damn good in all areas of the game that they actually brought Alex Smith to an NFC Championship game. And against a defense that hasn't been very good this year.

SF should be very happy to have him. But let's not get too quick about overhyping a QB who has so far only won one playoff game.

OnTheWarpath15
01-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I'll take 3 AFCCG's in 5 years.

Deberg_1990
01-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Hes frustrating to get a handle on. Hes just so inconsistent at times.

Maybe this will be his year? Sometimes we are too hard on guys if they dont win right away or dont win the big one in their first few years. Peyton didnt even win or make a Super Bowl until his 8th year in.

Deberg_1990
01-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Cunningham was every bit the dynamic athlete that any of these guys are, likely far more gifted. But the mindset of the league just hadn't evolved at that time. Today? Whoa...guy would be ridiculous in the right system under the right HC.

Yea, and he really only had about 4 or 5 prime years. After that he got beat up, then left the league for a year or two, came back and became a pure pocket passer.

Running QBs dont have long careers.

GoChargers
01-12-2013, 11:15 PM
I would take him over Rivers right now, unless Rivers pulls his head out of his ass. Flacco to Gates would be awesome.

AussieChiefsFan
01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
I will forever refer to him as "The Donkey Slayer"ROFL rep!

chiefzilla1501
01-12-2013, 11:17 PM

I've always thought that too. That guy could throw a 70 yard pass on an absolute rope. Unbelievable arm. Threw one of the prettiest passes I've ever seen. And in Minnesota, you saw glimpses of what he could have done in a more pocket type system. It's just plain sick to think of what he could have done in today's spread game under a coach like Harbaugh.

Sorter
01-12-2013, 11:21 PM
As for the OP, yeah Flacco is a FR QB. Not yet elite but definitely has a chance once the older guys leave (Brady, Manning, Brees)

As for the Cunningham argument, that guy was/is a monster. Too bad he was early :(

milkman
01-12-2013, 11:23 PM
The problem with Cunningham was a lack of consistent accuracy, and the lack of ability to take some heat off his short passes.

Everything was a rocket.

notorious
01-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Flacco played fantastic tonight.

He beat Denver, at home, with Denver being spotted a TD. (2 returns - 1 pick 6).

That is amazing. He completely turned me around tonight.

RunKC
01-12-2013, 11:27 PM
As for the OP, yeah Flacco is a FR QB. Not yet elite but definitely has a chance once the older guys leave (Brady, Manning, Brees)

As for the Cunningham argument, that guy was/is a monster. Too bad he was early :(

If he plays like this next week against Brady in Foxboro and wins, he's an elite QB IMO.

He's kind of like Eli to me. Not very consistent in the regular season and will lay an egg fairly often, but very good in the playoffs.

I really think the Ravens are SB bound this year.

Sorter
01-12-2013, 11:29 PM
If he plays like this next week against Brady in Foxboro and wins, he's an elite QB IMO.

He's kind of like Eli to me. Not very consistent in the regular season and will lay an egg fairly often, but very good in the playoffs.

This I agree with. Guy has some great wins/performances in the clutch over his career.

The latter part of your post, I don't. I'm a Tom nuthugger and fully expect him to beatdown the Texans and then eek out a win against Baltimore.

milkman
01-12-2013, 11:32 PM

So, if Matt Schaub wins in New England tomorrow, is he elite?

And if that happens, how would a win in Houston affect Flacco's potential legacy?

RunKC
01-12-2013, 11:51 PM
So, if Matt Schaub wins in New England tomorrow, is he elite?

And if that happens, how would a win in Houston affect Flacco's potential legacy?

If the Texans win in New England, I doubt Schaub will have the effect on the win that Flacco did tonight.

I think Schaub is a game manager, and I thought Flacco was too for the last few years, but over the last few playoff games he's played, he's stepped up.
He outplayed Brady last year on the road, just outplayed Manning on the road and if he outplays Brady on the road again for the 2nd straight year, I think that would speak volumes to his development and launch him into the elite status.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2013, 12:00 AM
If the Texans win in New England, I doubt Schaub will have the effect on the win that Flacco did tonight.

I think Schaub is a game manager, and I thought Flacco was too for the last few years, but over the last few playoff games he's played, he's stepped up.
He outplayed Brady last year on the road, just outplayed Manning on the road and if he outplays Brady on the road again for the 2nd straight year, I think that would speak volumes to his development and launch him into the elite status.

Schaub has a weak arm, so I think that limits their offense some. But their offense is fairly basic too. They do a ton of run, run, pass......run, run pass......run, run, pass.....

TLO
01-13-2013, 01:06 AM
I will forever refer to him as "The Donkey Slayer"

ROFL

I love it

Tribal Warfare
01-13-2013, 01:08 AM
I was railed, and told he wasn't

WhiteWhale
01-13-2013, 07:33 AM
I have little doubt this poll goes the other way if it was started on Friday. Reaction Planet.

WhiteWhale
01-13-2013, 07:34 AM
The problem with Cunningham was a lack of consistent accuracy, and the lack of ability to take some heat off his short passes.

Everything was a rocket.

The problem with Cunningham was that Buddy Ryan drafted him and had no interest in teaching him how to play the QB position. He wanted a running back who could throw deep once and a while.

He proceeded to use him in a way that hindered his development and caused him to be injured often.

I think it inspired Shanahan to get his QB killed as well, because he's doing his best to emulate how Ryan ruined Randall with RGIII.

tk13
01-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Let's try this again.

Deberg_1990
01-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Yep. Absolutely. If nothing else, this should show why you shouldnt pass on a potential top QB in the draft. QB is everything. Chiefs passed on Rodgers and Flacco and is it any coincidence their poor record since 2007?
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-20-2013, 08:55 PM
For years I thought he wasn't. He's slowly grown into the position. I'll take my Flaccrow with a side of hot sauce.

DeezNutz
01-20-2013, 08:56 PM

Yep. Still good.

ChiefsCountry
01-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Flacco will win. First round quarterbacks win Super Bowls.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-20-2013, 09:02 PM
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
Joe Flacco: 6th road playoff win as starting quarterback, most all-time.

ChiefsCountry
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
Joe Flacco: 6th road playoff win as starting quarterback, most all-time.

I beleive that beats Len Dawson's record.

memyselfI
01-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Hell yes he is. I wish he wore red.

Ace Gunner
01-20-2013, 09:07 PM
The problem with Cunningham was that Buddy Ryan drafted him and had no interest in teaching him how to play the QB position. He wanted a running back who could throw deep once and a while.

He proceeded to use him in a way that hindered his development and caused him to be injured often.

I think it inspired Shanahan to get his QB killed as well, because he's doing his best to emulate how Ryan ruined Randall with RGIII.

meh, Cunningham had no WR's. Keith Jackson and Byers carried the offense.

tk13
02-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Okay, I guess I should bump this. What do we think now?

RealSNR
02-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Tyler Palko says no

BigMeatballDave
Okay, I'd like to change my vote now.

:)

keg in kc
Okay, I guess I should bump this. What do we think now?I think he's going to be a very, very rich man by the end of the year.

Bowser
02-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Let's not rush to judgement. Let's give it another 5 years. /average Chiefs fan

threebag
02-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Super Bowl MVP

siberian khatru
02-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Needs more pelts /Scott P.

jspchief
02-03-2013, 09:58 PM
He played a great game. Think Baltimore wants to take another shot at letting their QB go after a SB win?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS
Joe Flacco in the past two years in the post-season: 15 TDs, 1 INT. Any more skeptics?

prhom
02-03-2013, 10:10 PM
I thought Flacco was pretty mediocre after the regular season and figured they'd be one and done in the playoffs. He has been playing lights out since then. Gotta give the guy credit.

tk13
02-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Well remember it wasn't but two months ago their team was in a tailspin, and Flacco lost a game to Charlie Batch, got slaughtered by the Broncos, etc.

Deberg_1990
02-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Well remember it wasn't but two months ago their team was in a tailspin, and Flacco lost a game to Charlie Batch, got slaughtered by the Broncos, etc.

Yea, all the sudden the light bulb came on for him. Congrats to him. I guess they were right to fire Cameron so late in the season.

RunKC
02-03-2013, 10:13 PM
2008 is arguably this franchises best draft ever....

I would trade all of those players for Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. :doh!:

KC_Connection
02-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Amazing that 1/4 of the board said no to Joe Flacco.

KC_Connection
02-03-2013, 10:22 PM
With an injured team and a bad offensive scheme, yes.

tk13
02-03-2013, 10:24 PM
With an injured team and a bad offensive scheme, yes.

That's true, but it's not like Flacco played like he did in the playoffs during the season. There were people legitimately asking whether he was worth re-signing at the time. His last two playoff runs have shut that down though. They barely beat the Chiefs, got destroyed by Houston, etc.

RealSNR
02-03-2013, 10:25 PM
2008 is arguably this franchises best draft ever....

I would trade all of those players for Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. :doh!:

Hey, if we've got enough money, there's still time to get Flacco

Hammock Parties
02-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Suck my BALLS. Everyone.

I've been sucking Joe's for three seasons.

Gadzooks
02-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Hey, if we've got enough money, there's still time to get Flacco

But what about Geno?!?

Unsmooth-Moment
02-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Flacco showed up for the entire post season. He's a franchise guy, obviously.

OnTheWarpath15
02-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I'll take 3 AFCCG's in 5 years.

And a Lombardi Trophy.

Gadzooks
02-03-2013, 11:00 PM

Do you think Trent Dilfer was a franchise QB?

KC_Connection
02-03-2013, 11:23 PM
And...those two aren't comparable at all.

DaneMcCloud
02-03-2013, 11:34 PM

Do I think you watch and understand football?

Dylan
02-03-2013, 11:37 PM
And a Lombardi Trophy.

and he's a Super Bowl MVP

lol

B14ckmon
02-03-2013, 11:39 PM
#ELITEASFLACCO

Tribal Warfare
02-03-2013, 11:39 PM

No he's an average QB that won't ever be the reason that a team would be in or win the Super Bowl /CP douches last season.

Though I called him as a legit Franchise QB.

B14ckmon
02-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Amazing that 1/4 of the board said no to Joe Flacco.

In my short time here, this does not surprise me. Flacco is not Geno. Thus he cannot be good.

Baby Lee
02-03-2013, 11:45 PM
He has definitely turned a corner. For the longest he was a manager type whose best asset was not having brain farts. Tonight he was as elusive and extended plays as well as Kaepernik and Roethlisberger, and that's saying a lot. I'd say his propensity for not making mistakes is still his strong suit, but his mobility and sticking with the play to the bitter end has really made strides. Kaepernik probably actually outplayed him overall, but Flacco gets the hardware.

In the end, I was actually hoping that the 49ers would take the lead to see how Flacco responded. They showed him sitting on the sidelines as the 49ers were knocking at the door and he looked so serene, reminded me of Joe Cool Montana. Was really wanting to see if his calmness translated to crunch time performance.

RealSNR
02-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Also, he's another first round pick to win a Super Bowl.

Are the pig-fucking true fan fuckers over the "GET BETTER QB VALUE IN TEH 2ND ROUND!!!!111" bullshit yet?

B14ckmon
02-03-2013, 11:46 PM

Are the pig-****ing true fan ****ers over the "GET BETTER QB VALUE IN TEH 2ND ROUND!!!!111" bullshit yet?

Trade down and take Glennon at the 14th pick! First round!

Unsmooth-Moment
02-03-2013, 11:52 PM

Only if he has won a playoff game 5 straight years, I won't even require it be his first 5 years.

Smed1065
02-04-2013, 01:19 AM
I thought Flacco was pretty mediocre after the regular season and figured they'd be one and done in the playoffs. He has been playing lights out since then. Gotta give the guy credit.

No, we have to blame you for being an idiot without considering that old ass team mate was retiring. .

Smed1065
02-04-2013, 01:21 AM
He has definitely turned a corner. For the longest he was a manager type whose best asset was not having brain farts. Tonight he was as elusive and extended plays as well as Kaepernik and Roethlisberger, and that's saying a lot. I'd say his propensity for not making mistakes is still his strong suit, but his mobility and sticking with the play to the bitter end has really made strides. Kaepernik probably actually outplayed him overall, but Flacco gets the hardware.

In the end, I was actually hoping that the 49ers would take the lead to see how Flacco responded. They showed him sitting on the sidelines as the 49ers were knocking at the door and he looked so serene, reminded me of Joe Cool Montana. Was really wanting to see if his calmness translated to crunch time performance.

Turned a corner-LOL

Means you said he sucked before but now think he is great-LOL

LMAO

Baby Lee
02-04-2013, 01:33 AM
Turned a corner-LOL

Means you said he sucked before but now think he is great-LOL

LMAO

I've NEVER said Flacco sucked. I didn't know he had the elusivity he displayed today. But I've consistently held that he'd take a good defense to the promised land. Flacco has always been a good QB for a good defense, today he was a good QB for a team whose WRs take a bit to come open, and he's the QB with the hardware.

I was never down on him. Show where I ever have been.

keg in kc
02-04-2013, 01:35 AM
He has definitely turned a corner. For the longest he was a manager type whose best asset was not having brain farts. Tonight he was as elusive and extended plays as well as Kaepernik and Roethlisberger, and that's saying a lot. I'd say his propensity for not making mistakes is still his strong suit, but his mobility and sticking with the play to the bitter end has really made strides. Kaepernik probably actually outplayed him overall, but Flacco gets the hardware.That 9ers passing game tonight almost looked like something Charlie Weis would've cooked up for Tyler Thigpen. They were dead meat if his first read wasn't open, and a sizeable percentage of his yards came from broken tackles thanks to Crabtree and Davis. Even with the game Boldin had, Flacco was able to spread the ball around, whereas Kaepernick basically laser-locked on those two guys. It was just safe designed throw after safe designed throw. Which is understandable when you have the weapons they do, and the running game they do.

But in the end I thought the game was a classic example of why pocket QBs will never go out of style, no matter how appealing running QBs might look. That's not to say that Kaepernick doesn't have some passing tools, but he still has a ways to go. Smoke and mirrors got them pretty far, but even with that line, that running game, and Davis and Crabtree wreaking havoc when they had the ball, it just wasn't quite enough.

And Flacco clearly outplayed him. It's not even a question.

Which is kind of a shame. I hate seeing Ray Lewis go out with a win.

KC_Connection
02-04-2013, 01:46 AM
And Flacco clearly outplayed him. It's not even a question.

Yeah, he was the better QB in that game. And tonight wasn't anything we hadn't seen from Flacco before, he's been playing this way for about 3 seasons now (while being particularly effective in the postseason). I think he moved past that "game manager" tag quite a while ago.

Rausch
02-04-2013, 04:42 AM

Are the pig-****ing true fan ****ers over the "GET BETTER QB VALUE IN TEH 2ND ROUND!!!!111" bullshit yet?

Nope.

You'll hear the same $3it from the KC Star and sports talk for the next two months...

Mile High Mania
02-04-2013, 09:14 AM
There's not much to dislike about Flacco. I think he's a very good QB and over the next few years as that defense adjusts to the guys they're likely losing, we'll see how he does if it becomes more offense than the balance they've had the last 5 years.

It's a fun offense to watch and he makes big plays - again, not much to dislike about him and the production.

King_Chief_Fan
02-04-2013, 09:28 AM
For the Chiefs...whose your choice for QB?

Flacco or Kaepernick?

I am choosing Flacco.

RyFo18
02-04-2013, 09:30 AM

Flacco or Kaepernick?

I am choosing Flacco.

Flaepernick

Sorter
02-04-2013, 09:31 AM

Flacco or Kaepernick?

I am choosing Flacco.

Kaepernick.

Rasputin
02-04-2013, 09:33 AM
I think he is elite & a franchise QB for the Baltimore Ravens. I don't want him for our franchise. I want to draft our OWN franchise QB. So I'm not voting in this poll.

lcarus
02-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Suck my BALLS. Everyone.

I've been sucking Joe's for three seasons.

Same. Well not sucking his balls, but I defended him against people that said he sucked.

Easy 6
02-04-2013, 09:45 AM
He totally changed my tune in this last month, dude is legit.

Just reaffirms my preference for big, physical pocket passers... he made several throws under very heavy pressure, thats what those kinds of QB's can give you.

Pin Head
02-04-2013, 09:46 AM
The elite QB's were at home sitting on their asses watching Flacco and the Ravens win a Superbowl.

Rain Man
02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Based on this year, he's pretty darn good quarterback, but more along the lines of a Ken Stabler or Bert Jones. Good, and obviously good enough, but not a franchise quarterback. He doesn't even hold sway over a linebacker on the team.

Rausch
02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
The elite QB's were at home sitting on their asses watching Flacco and the Ravens win a Superbowl.

If you list Eli as elite you have to list Flacco...

DJ's left nut
02-04-2013, 11:01 AM
He's very much like Eli Manning.

He's fairly erratic and not always terribly accurate. That said, he's not scared to unleash the ball downfield and he doesn't spook easily.

Both the Ravens and Giants have done a good job of dealing with his occasional accuracy issues by hiding them behind a deep passing game. He's become a high risk/high reward, downfield passer and I think that's just a brilliant way to use a guy like that.

It's really what the Bucs should be doing with Josh Freeman and if the Jets had any weapons, they should at least try it with Sanchez. The guys with middling accuracy just cannot run a short passing game.

He's not a true 'franchise' QB in the sense that I don't think he's just going to go all Brady or Rodgers and make his entire team better - there are much much fewer of those in this league than most will admit. That said, I'd take him as my QB any day because he is absolutely a guy that can win for you (obviously) if put in the right situation.

EDIT: What Rausch said. They're the same guy.

Deberg_1990
02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
If we are not already there, we are very near a point where the NFL regular season doesnt matter as much anymore.

Ravens were the 4th seed this year, Giants 4th seed last year, Packers 6th seed before that. Its become all about getting on a hot streak at the right time, and guys like Eli and Flacco tend to be very streaky.

Who cares if you lose a few games in Sept or October??

Pin Head
02-04-2013, 12:50 PM
He's very much like Eli Manning.

He's fairly erratic and not always terribly accurate. That said, he's not scared to unleash the ball downfield and he doesn't spook easily.

Both the Ravens and Giants have done a good job of dealing with his occasional accuracy issues by hiding them behind a deep passing game. He's become a high risk/high reward, downfield passer and I think that's just a brilliant way to use a guy like that.

It's really what the Bucs should be doing with Josh Freeman and if the Jets had any weapons, they should at least try it with Sanchez. The guys with middling accuracy just cannot run a short passing game.

He's not a true 'franchise' QB in the sense that I don't think he's just going to go all Brady or Rodgers and make his entire team better - there are much much fewer of those in this league than most will admit. That said, I'd take him as my QB any day because he is absolutely a guy that can win for you (obviously) if put in the right situation.

EDIT: What Rausch said. They're the same guy.

I think that Joe Flacco posses the skill-set necessary to be a franchise guy. I also think that he is often unfairly criticized. He didn't like that criticism much and stepped up...he responded, with a Superbowl win. He's a franchise man, in my opinion.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2013, 01:40 PM
I think that Joe Flacco posses the skill-set necessary to be a franchise guy. I also think that he is often unfairly criticized. He didn't like that criticism much and stepped up...he responded, with a Superbowl win. He's a franchise man, in my opinion.

If you take an 8-8 team and put him at the helm, are they a SB winner? Can he make a 6-10 team a playoff team?

That's how I view a 'franchise' QB - a force multiplier that makes everyone else on his team better.

Flacco doesn't do that, IMO. He's not an accurate enough passer for long enough stretches for that. Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Peyton are guys that can throw 50 footballs and hit their target 48 times. They're smart decisionmakers that can run any offense they're given.

Flacco's not that level of guy. He's a very good quarterback and someone I would gladly have lead my team, but he's not to the level of the truly stellar, IMO.

O.city
02-04-2013, 01:45 PM
If you take an 8-8 team and put him at the helm, are they a SB winner? Can he make a 6-10 team a playoff team?

That's how I view a 'franchise' QB - a force multiplier that makes everyone else on his team better.

Flacco doesn't do that, IMO. He's not an accurate enough passer for long enough stretches for that. Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Peyton are guys that can throw 50 footballs and hit their target 48 times. They're smart decisionmakers that can run any offense they're given.

Flacco's not that level of guy. He's a very good quarterback and someone I would gladly have lead my team, but he's not to the level of the truly stellar, IMO.

This is true, but I'm actually starting to think thats about the level you need. Franchise QB doesnt' always equal elite Qb.

Brady Brees P. Manning (?) Rodgers are the only really elite guys in the league, then there is a whole other tier of guys. I'll take a guy in that second tear in a second.

You also dont know but that said second tier guy can't grow into the first tier.

BossChief
02-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Joe Flacco went to a 5-11 team and led them to a 11-5 record as a rookie...5 years later won the Super Bowl and was the game MVP.

Since he took over, he has the most wins (both regular and post season) of any NFL quarterback.

I'd say he's a franchiseqb.

Without question.

O.city
02-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Franchise QB. Yeah, for sure.

Elite QB? I have a hard time saying yes on that one.

unlurking
02-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Joe Flacco went to a 5-11 team and led them to a 11-5 record as a rookie...5 years later won the Super Bowl and was the game MVP.

Since he took over, he has the most wins (both regular and post season) of any NFL quarterback.

I'd say he's a franchiseqb.

Without question.
Without a fucking doubt. I think people are just quibbling about elite vs franchise at this point.

RyFo18
02-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Without a ****ing doubt. I think people are just quibbling about elite vs franchise at this point.

Semantics

unlurking
02-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Semantics
Either way, he's a guy you can build a team around. Which was the definition of franchise QB when I was growing up, not whether or not he could carry a shitty franchise by himself.

Marcellus
02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
I can easily say I was wrong about Flacco. Granted early on he was winning games off his defense's back but now he is carrying the defense.

Great way to build a franchise. Badass defense to carry the load while your QB develops. Defense gets old and gets carried by the QB later.

Good job Ozzy.

unlurking
02-04-2013, 02:58 PM
...That's how I view a 'franchise' QB - a force multiplier that makes everyone else on his team better...

Since when did this become the definition of a franchise QB? Granted I only started watching the NFL in the 80's, but when I was growing up a franchise QB was a guy you could build a team around, not a guy to carry a shitty team because your coaches & FO were incompetent.

Setsuna
02-04-2013, 03:56 PM
HECCCCKKKK NO!

Sorter
02-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Caldwell has done a fantastic job in helping Joe develop IMO.

Pin Head
02-04-2013, 05:35 PM

but Superbowl bling is stellar. I take that 'risk' because I like my chances with Flacco as my guy. He's a bit inconsistent and I won't dispute that but I like the way he shows up and responds to adversity in big games when it counts.

BlackHelicopters
02-04-2013, 06:11 PM
The Chiefs didn't even play the same game as did SF and Bal did his season.