PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs A.J. Feeley on Coach Reid and QB's

ChiefMojo
01-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Got this from a article I just read... http://m.kansascity.com/kcstar/db_41615/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=5GFC9ndI&detailindex=1&pn=0&ps=5&full=true#display

A.J. Feeley played quarterback for several head coaches in his 11-year NFL career but found there were things Andy Reid asked that not all of the others did.

"To play quarterback for him, you have to be able to do some things other coaches won’t necessarily ask you to do," Feeley said. "You have to be really accurate. You have to be athletic and be able to make throws on the run. You have to be able to stand in the pocket and throw the ball down the field with authority. You definitely have to be coachable."

Sounds like to me that fits Geno Smith correct?

O.city
01-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Reid's offense requires great accuracy to succeed. Yeah, it's gonna be Geno.

mcaj22
01-13-2013, 05:36 PM
it's gonna be Q

notorious
01-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Other coaches don't ask QB's to do those things?

No wonder QB play sucks ass on so many teams.

-King-
01-13-2013, 05:37 PM
LMAO I know what he means... but that could be applied to literally any offense.

It's not like some coach is going to say, " I want an inaccurate, immobile, skittish QB that has a flutterball beyond 10 yards. I also want him to flip me off everytime I try to tell him something. "

Deberg_1990
01-13-2013, 05:38 PM

heh, i was wondering the same thing??

So coach, what do you look for in an NFL QB?

"Well, i want a guy whos not very accurate, and cant stand tall in the pocket and throw down field."

ChiefMojo
01-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Umm apparently KC did as we trotted out there Cassel and Quinn! lol

What I get from what he was saying more than anything was he is going to expect his QB's to be able to do these things. If they don't, they won't play. What we saw from our QB's the last few years are things Coach Reid would have not tolerated from his QB's. In the end that would have been something that Coach Reid would have had to take up with Pioli. Pioli fostered sh*tty QB play by sticking with his boy in Cassel and bringing in nothing to back him up.

milkman
01-13-2013, 05:40 PM

Some coaches prefer QBs that stand tall in the pocket in the face of pressure and deliver strikes.

They don't like their QBs to get outside the pocket.

Funny thing is, Fran Tarkenton was probably the greatest scrambler ever, and it absolutely drove Bud grant crazy.

Dayze
01-13-2013, 05:42 PM
LMAO I know what he means... but that could be applied to literally any offense.

It's not like some coach is going to say, " I want an inaccurate, immobile, skittish QB that has a flutterball beyond 10 yards. I also want him to flip me off everytime I try to tell him something. "

That's probably Pioli's mantra to quarterbacking

Psyko Tek
01-13-2013, 08:35 PM

EVERY CHIEFS COACH SINCE VERMIEL HAS HAD ONE

Chiefshrink
01-13-2013, 08:38 PM
That's probably *****'s mantra to quarterbacking

Look at the Patriot Way in Brady. He doesn't scramble.

Easy 6
01-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Great stuff AJ, THATS the kind of quality analysis i expect from a former pro.

RunKC
01-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Would not be surprised to see Barkley in play.

He has good accuracy and is very good at throwing on the run.

htismaqe
01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Would not be surprised to see Barkley in play.

He has good accuracy and is very good at throwing on the run.

He also said you need to throw downfield with authority, something Barkley really doesn't do all that well.

Chiefshrink
01-14-2013, 01:54 PM
The fact that you see in the last 2yrs very young, athletic QB guys emerge like Cam, RGIII, Wilson, and even Luck with Johnny Football waiting in the wings who are defying the NFL developmental 'consistent success timeline logic' makes it much much easier for Dorsey/Reid to take Geno at ONE regardless of whether he is a solid No.1 or not especially when you NEED a QB !.

How in the hell, do you not take Geno when you see guys like Cam,RGIII, Wilson and Luck rise to the top knowing Geno can be every bit as good if not better in some cases?

ChiefsCountry
01-14-2013, 02:48 PM
He also said you need to throw downfield with authority, something Barkley really doesn't do all that well.

Barkley isn't afraid to throw it down field, now he doesn't have the cannon on him.

O.city
01-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Chiefscountry, I like Barkley. But after thinking thru it, I think his absolute ceiling just isn't good enough.

Maybe he can prove me wrong and if we draft him, I'll def. get behind it. I just don't wanna pigeonhole ourselves into a Matt Schaub or Andy Dalton situation where the guy is just good enough to get us to the playoffs and just good enough to stick around.

I'm afraid that's what Barkley is.

rabblerouser
01-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Umm apparently KC did as we trotted out there Cassel and Quinn! lol

What I get from what he was saying more than anything was he is going to expect his QB's to be able to do these things. If they don't, they won't play. What we saw from our QB's the last few years are things Coach Reid would have not tolerated from his QB's. In the end that would have been something that Coach Reid would have had to take up with *****. ***** fostered sh*tty QB play by sticking with his boy in Cassel and bringing in nothing to back him up.

That's why Haley got shitcanned - he went to Pioli and said, 'get me a real fucking QB.'

Pioli responded by signing Tyler Palko.

See where the disconnect was??

rabblerouser
01-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Barkley isn't afraid to throw it down field, now he doesn't have the cannon on him.

He's got a fucking popcorn arm.

NO MORE USC QBs NAMED MATT OR MARK.

Fucking Barkley looks like Matt Lienart, for fuck's sake.

Fuck him. Geno or bust.

You take Geno 1st overall, or you trade back and work a deal for Matt Flynn and sign Alex Smith.

No more QBs from SC.

What, is Palmer the best of the lot??

No thanks.

htismaqe
01-14-2013, 03:06 PM

I never said he was afraid to throw it down field. Feeley said "with authority".

That's not Matt Barkley.

rabblerouser
01-14-2013, 03:09 PM
I never said he was afraid to throw it down field. Feeley said "with authority".

That's not Matt Barkley.

Exactly.

Barkley's arm strength is lacking, PLUS he has accuracy issues.

Sounds like Matt Cassel more than Matt Leinart, when I think about it.

Hell, you can get everything Barkley has in Mark Sanchez, plus Sanchez will be way cheaper, won't cost a high draft pick and has starting experience.

So, in other words...No Thanks.

Amnorix
01-14-2013, 03:14 PM
"To play quarterback for him, you have to be able to do some things other coaches won’t necessarily ask you to do," Feeley said. "You have to be really accurate. You have to be athletic and be able to make throws on the run. You have to be able to stand in the pocket and throw the ball down the field with authority. You definitely have to be coachable."[/B]

I admit I never thought of McNabb as "really" accurate. I thought he was plenty good, but when I think of highly accurate QBs, I don't think of McNabb.

Which I'm sure indicates Reid's flexibility. Think he's a very good coach.

KChiefer
01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Look at the Patriot Way in Brady. He doesn't scramble.

...because he has the speed of a riding lawnmower.

htismaqe
01-14-2013, 03:22 PM

ROFL

Amnorix
01-14-2013, 03:25 PM

Not even. That dude is SLOW. Awesome, but SLOW.

Though who can forget this!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dAt6S1RHBYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe
01-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Brady getting all fired up and giving the first down signal is priceless.

ROFL

Just awesome...

O.city
01-14-2013, 03:30 PM
As much disdain as I have for Pioli, I do respect the shit outta Bill B. Dude has actually scrapped the "Patriot Way", tweeked it here and there.

It's what the dumbshit cronies havne't figured out yet.

And as much as Hootie loves Manning, I love watching Brady play football.

BlackHelicopters
01-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Reid elevates his QB's into better players. Even Nick Foles had a few good throws. Reid will find the right QB.

hometeam
01-14-2013, 05:07 PM
geno.

Thig Lyfe
01-14-2013, 05:08 PM
you guys hear about this Geno Smith fella?