PDA

View Full Version : Football Possible QB back-up options...

ChiefMojo
01-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Here is a good article from Rotoworld on possible QB's on the move. Taking in consideration for the type of QB that Coach Reid likes, take your best stab at who you think would be a good back-up to the likely #1 pick?

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42217/59/offseason-low-down

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Pretty sure one of them will be Trent Edwards

Deberg_1990
01-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Fitzpatrick would be ok as a backup.

Clausen remains a popular fanbase option.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fat Elvis
01-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Here is a good article from Rotoworld on possible QB's on the move. Taking in consideration for the type of QB that Coach Reid likes, take your best stab at who you think would be a good back-up to the likely #1 pick?

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42217/59/offseason-low-down

Reid has a crush on Vick. He will be here next year. Count on it.

ChiefMojo
01-13-2013, 06:03 PM
I thought about Fitzpatrick as a good option. He just comes across like a good back-up option. Someone tough and smart. I wouldn't be against Hasselbeck or Kolb (on substantial smaller contract) either since they know the system and have worked with Reid in the past.

Spott
01-13-2013, 06:06 PM
I think we have enough ex-Eagle coaches now and no need for crappy ex-Eagle QB's.

ChiefMojo
01-13-2013, 06:09 PM
True but we are talking the back-up spot and not the starting spot. Bringing in ex-Eagles at least give you guys that have had success in the past in his system.

HolyHat
01-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Jeff Garcia :dom:

Rain Man
01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Hasselbeck is such an obvious option that I'd be surprised if he didn't come here. He's the perfect fit for our needs.

FringeNC
01-13-2013, 06:18 PM
When does the new NFL year start? In other words, on what date will Matt Cassel be cut?

lewdog
01-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Probably Mike Vick, it was in a thread a while ago.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268510&highlight=vick

:facepalm:

DTLB58
01-13-2013, 06:31 PM

I'm calling it right now. No he won't.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it! :p

Kylo Ren
01-13-2013, 06:32 PM
I would only want Vick as a backup. No way do I want him as a starter.

okiedokieokoye
01-13-2013, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't have an issue with us giving up a 7th rounder for Colt McCoy. Guy was impressive at Texas and might fit in nicely here.

MahiMike
01-13-2013, 06:46 PM
Vick would be a good option for our PUP team.

(see what I did there).

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2013, 06:48 PM

I'd be surprised. Vick cost Reid his job.

MahiMike
01-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Ryan Mallet baby!

Infidel Goat
01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Pretty sure one of them will be Trent Edwards

That would have been my guess as well. Maybe a 6th or 7th rounder?

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2013, 07:38 PM
That would have been my guess as well. Maybe a 6th or 7th rounder?

He's a free agent. Unlike Vick and Fitzpatrick would cost nothing.

RustShack
01-13-2013, 07:40 PM
McNabb.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Vick would create too many stories and unnecessary attention. I fear everytime our rookie starter had a bad game the fan base would be calling for Vick.

ntexascardfan
01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
McCoy would be good. He's an accurate passer and has leadership qualities, plus he can scramble a bit.

Saccopoo
01-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Jason Campbell.

Saccopoo
01-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Fitzpatrick would be ok as a backup.

Clausen remains a popular fanbase option.
Posted via Mobile Device

Popular?

With what ****ing sector of the fan base would that slapdick be popular with?

I understand that many people around here got hardons for him because he was a QB and he played with Weis, but that should have been the extent of their infatuation. The guy sucked. Continues to suck. If you can't beat out Derek Anderson, then you suck.

Fuck Jimmy Clausen, and fuck anybody who wants him on this team with a sledgehammer wrapped in barbed wire.

Chief'nDisBiznitch
01-13-2013, 07:56 PM
tebow would be a good option look what he did for the broncos

crazycoffey
01-13-2013, 07:57 PM
tebow would be a good option look what he did for the broncos

Hi knowmo

Chief'nDisBiznitch
01-13-2013, 07:58 PM
or we should trade for alex smith and start him. checkdowns to mccluster would be unstoppable with dexs spinmove

Infidel Goat
01-13-2013, 07:59 PM
He's a free agent. Unlike Vick and Fitzpatrick would cost nothing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000058851/article/trent-edwards-reportedly-given-contract-extension

Trent Edwards is signed through 2013. Extension made in September.

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2013, 08:09 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000058851/article/trent-edwards-reportedly-given-contract-extension

Trent Edwards is signed through 2013. Extension made in September.

Oh, good call.

Hoover
01-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Why on earth would the Chiefs release Stanzi. Look, he might not be any good but he's going to go through camp with Reid because he's cheap and already under contract. With our luck he's going to turn out to be the next Tom Brandy and Scott Pioli will haunt us forever since he picked the kid.

I think Reid is going to want someone who knows his system, if released I think Kolb is the guy. Vick isn't going to help a young QB learn the Reid offense because he runs too much.

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Drew Stanton is an interesting option too. Seems like a typical Reid qb.

Also... Sorry, I have to say it and I'm not saying I'm excited about it. But there's a good chance Kevin kolb gets cut. If he is... Belch, but I'm sure the speculation will be that kc would look.

rico
01-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Why on earth would the Chiefs release Stanzi. Look, he might not be any good but he's going to go through camp with Reid because he's cheap and already under contract. With our luck he's going to turn out to be the next Tom Brandy and Scott ***** will haunt us forever since he picked the kid.

I think Reid is going to want someone who knows his system, if released I think Kolb is the guy. Vick isn't going to help a young QB learn the Reid offense because he runs too much.

From the limited amount of snaps we saw from Stanzi in two seasons of preseason games, it seems he regressed from last season...from the preseason games and from the twitter slapdicks who were at TC, it seemed as if he were struggling to grasp Daboll's "system." Who knows, maybe he will grasp Reid's offense a bit easier....... Maybe he just sucks. I'd love it if he emerged as being, well....competent and on our roster.

King_Chief_Fan
01-13-2013, 08:30 PM
based on that turd of a list, I am now firmly in the camp of drafting with #1 pick, a QB

rico
01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
If we selected Geno in the 1st, and Bray (who I personally think is awesome regardless of the character flaws) ended up dropping to the 3rd or 4th and we nabbed him there....I'd probably JIMP.

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2013, 08:32 PM
based on that turd of a list, I am now firmly in the camp of drafting with #1 pick, a QB

It's not a turd of a list. Reid does a great job with backups. There was never a question that our starter has to come from the draft.

Gadzooks
01-13-2013, 11:58 PM
I was right about Clausen.

Bowser
01-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Why on earth would the Chiefs release Stanzi. Look, he might not be any good but he's going to go through camp with Reid because he's cheap and already under contract. With our luck he's going to turn out to be the next Tom Brandy and Scott ***** will haunt us forever since he picked the kid.

Becasue Stanzi is awful. Like, really awful.

Sorter
01-14-2013, 12:01 AM
If we selected Geno in the 1st, and Bray (who I personally think is awesome regardless of the character flaws) ended up dropping to the 3rd or 4th and we nabbed him there....I'd probably JIMP.

Totally. If Dysert is there and Bray isn't in the 3rd, I'd probably think long about it.

ChiefGator
01-14-2013, 05:55 AM
Mark Sanchez -- One offseason after guaranteeing him $20.5 million -- including all of his $8.25 million 2013 base salary -- the delusional Jets front office has internally considered trading the quarterback once absurdly nicknamed "Sanchize." They'd be lucky to get a bag of punctured footballs in light of Sanchez's on-field performance, and the contract makes him completely untradeable. Perhaps they'll bite the bullet and cut him outright.

Leaving them WHO as QB? They are just as screwed as us, without the #1 pick though.

CoMoChief
01-14-2013, 06:00 AM

Stanzi was never good. He completed like 4-5 passes in preseason and everyone went ****ing apeshit thinking Pioli pulled another Brady out of the magicians hat of tricks.

He has no future in the NFL...he was just average in college.

People really need to stop w/ the Stanzi shit...this team needs 3 new QB's.

ChiefGator
01-14-2013, 06:08 AM
Stanzi was never good. He completed like 4-5 passes in preseason and everyone went ****ing apeshit thinking ***** pulled another Brady out of the magicians hat of tricks.

He has no future in the NFL...he was just average in college.

People really need to stop w/ the Stanzi shit...this team needs 3 new QB's.

And they will need 4 QB total going into camp. Stanzi will be at least a camp arm.

CoMoChief
01-14-2013, 06:12 AM
And they will need 4 QB total going into camp. Stanzi will be at least a camp arm.

If he's a camp arm then so be it....as long as he's not on the PS or final roster then I'm fine w/ that.

oldman
01-14-2013, 06:45 AM
it seemed as if he were struggling to grasp Daboll's "system." Who knows, maybe he will grasp Reid's offense a bit easier....... Maybe he just sucks.

What part of checkdown to Dex and Omaha Omaha didn't he get?
I don't think we have a QB on the current 53 man roster worth keeping. If you need a camp arm, there's always Tanney.

htismaqe
01-14-2013, 08:27 AM
What part of checkdown to Dex and Omaha Omaha didn't he get?
I don't think we have a QB on the current 53 man roster worth keeping. If you need a camp arm, there's always Tanney.

ROFL

Trick Shot most certainly isn't worth keeping.

htismaqe
01-14-2013, 08:29 AM

Potentially toxic situation. No thanks.

If you take another QB later, it has to be a guy that's a GUARANTEED backup.

Exoter175
01-14-2013, 09:47 AM
I'd love to have the Hasselbeck here on a 2-3 year contract, guy can play in just about any system, but would probably excel in a Reid offense in a pinch, which is basically what we're looking for here.

It isn't about having the "best" Backup, it is about having the "right" backup for the system. I don't see Palmer signing anywhere as a backup yet, he can still start for many of the teams in this league and do just fine, but I wouldn't cry in my cocoa puffs if we somehow magically picked him up for a year or two in case Geno is slow to develop.

Easy 6
01-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Hasselbeck is such an obvious option that I'd be surprised if he didn't come here. He's the perfect fit for our needs.

I could definitely get behind him as the two, he's been pretty lightly used the last few years so he should still have a little life left in him.

He'd be a great mentor and pinch hitter.

Chief Roundup
01-14-2013, 10:01 AM

Matt Hasselbeck -- Jake Locker has shown few signs of stabilizing the quarterback position in Tennessee, but it's even more obvious that Hasselbeck isn't the answer. Noodle-armed at age 37, Hasselbeck's downfield passing ability has evaporated and he's become increasingly interception prone. The Titans are unlikely to pay Hasselbeck's non-guaranteed $5.5 million salary for a clear backup whose only real value would be to continue serving as Locker's clipboard-holding mentor.

Not sure about Hasselbeck. But I have always liked the idea of him as a backup.

Line Judge
01-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Quote from our new GM “One, are they a good guy? Two, do they work at their craft? Three, do they love football? Four, are they going to be good in the locker room? And five, would you like to have them as your neighbor?"

NO VICK

ChiefMojo
01-14-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm liking the Hasselbeck back-up option more and more.... just seems like a great fit.

Crush
01-14-2013, 10:04 AM
I was right about Clausen.

That's debatable. :)

CaliforniaChief
01-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Hasn't Vick paid more than the price of his transgressions? Hasn't he been a model citizen since his rehabilitation? If Vick isn't here, it's because of his accuracy issues and his inability to stay healthy.

I think Fitzpatrick would be a nice backup, as would Hasselbeck. I'm also for any situation that puts Cassel in our division.

Az_Chiefsfan
01-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote from our new GM “One, are they a good guy? Two, do they work at their craft? Three, do they love football? Four, are they going to be good in the locker room? And five, would you like to have them as your neighbor?"

NO VICK

Hasslebeck and Fitzpatrick fit those criteria.

Kolb was actually decent for Arizona before he was hurt early this year. And that was behind a horrendous o-line and a anemic running game.

The Franchise
01-14-2013, 10:30 AM
I would go into camp with 4 QBs.

Geno Smith
Drew Stanton
Jimmy Clausen
Ricky Stanzi

Cmd'r&Chief
01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
What if...Sporano brings Tebow? Say what you want. But he's a hell of an athlete and would be an excellent back up QB in my opinion.

The Franchise
01-14-2013, 10:40 AM
What if...Sporano brings Tebow? Say what you want. But he's a hell of an athlete and would be an excellent back up QB in my opinion.

An excellent back up QB?

He can't run a regular offense. HE'S NOT A FUCKING QB.

Easy 6
01-14-2013, 10:43 AM

ROFL

:facepalm: wait, thats not funny at all :facepalm:

Frosty
01-14-2013, 10:46 AM
If he were cheap and strictly a backup (draft QB #1), I wouldn't have a problem bringing Quinn back.

ChiefMojo
01-14-2013, 11:05 AM
He'll I wouldn't mind Quinn back as a 3rd stringer but not the back-up.

htismaqe
01-14-2013, 11:14 AM
An excellent back up QB?

He can't run a regular offense. HE'S NOT A FUCKING QB.

Yep.

He's such a great option at backup that he got passed up by Greg McElroy.

If you're going to go with Tebow, he HAS to start, because you have to design your entire offense around him.

And you better back him up with guys that play like him.

He's not a backup for any team that has a REAL QB as their starter.

Exoter175
01-14-2013, 11:55 AM
I would go into camp with 4 QBs.

Geno Smith
Drew Stanton
Jimmy Clausen
Ricky Stanzi

That sure is an interesting lineup right there. All 4 of which were pretty good college QBs, but I don't see a real "emergency starter" in that lineup, which is what you need in your backup. You could try to make the case for Stanton there, but I'm not sold on it.

No.

Excellent backup to me would be a former starter who has won a few games, can play in any offense in a pinch, and can work with the system in place, dumbed down a bit for the gameplan.

That isn't Tebow. Tebow requires his own system and cannot (as we've seen) plug right into an existing system and do well. He might be one hell of an athlete, but it takes more than being an athlete to play QB.

Of all the guys on your team, QB tends to be the least "athletically driven" than any other position. I wouldn't define Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, or Brees as "athletic". They certainly couldn't run sub 5 second 60 times, they won't ever reach a 36 inch vert, etc. What they do, is almost completely mental, with a surgically attached cannon for an arm.

If I had to pick ONE QB in the history of QB's to play as my backup, my emergency guy if my #1 goes down, I'm taking Chad Pennington over anybody else. He had a great career, complete game manager. Never lost you a game, but won you a few, highly efficient, highly cerebral at the helm. He won't ever "wow" you, especially after the shoulder surgeries, but the guy had great accuracy and could read a defense.

oldman
01-14-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm out on Vick, he's just had way too many injuries. I'm also out on trading for a backup. What would we have to give up?
That said, I would like to have a vet backup in the fold before the draft. I'm not saying to tip our hand, but if we're going with a pocket passer , have the backup be a pocket passer as well. The problem I see with some teams is the #1 is one style and the backup is another. This causes confusion in blocking schemes and messes the game plan up if #1 goes down.