PDA

View Full Version : Football Russell Wilson

Joe Seahawk
01-13-2013, 06:30 PM
I am so proud of this dude, so close to winning his first 2 playoff games. He is going to win us a Superbowl someday. What a rollercoaster of a game today.. JFC!

Kylo Ren
01-13-2013, 06:31 PM
I really like him a lot. Wish we hade a QB like him here..... oh, wait... we CAN, if we draft Geno Smith!

ChiefRocka
01-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Must be nice to have a young healthy franchise QB. We'll find out soon enough!!

DTLB58
01-13-2013, 06:33 PM
I am so proud of this dude, so close to winning his first 2 playoff games. He is going to win us a Superbowl someday. What a rollercoaster of a game today.. JFC!

You have a bright future with this QB/Coach Joe. Sorry for the loss, I was pulling for them.

morphius
01-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Great season for him no doubt. Interesting how he will do after teams have an offseason of tape to look at.

lewdog
01-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Best Rookie QB this year. Enjoy him for years to come.

Ace Gunner
01-13-2013, 06:35 PM
that pass (to tate?) up the middle during his final drive was clutch. he's a baller.

Marcellus
I am fucking green with envy.

Rasputin
I said in the game thread wondered how JoeSeahawk would take this. I was right that you would be excited for the future of your team.

keg in kc
01-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Great season for him no doubt. Interesting how he will do after teams have an offseason of tape to look at.That's my thought as well. He's a gamer, no question, always showed up in big games in college too, but I expect a bit of a sophomore slump out of him and kaepernick both. I think it really benefits rookies to play pistol-style simplified playbooks, but I expect them to struggle as the playbooks are opened up a little more next year, and the league has plenty to study, both of them and their tendencies, and the playcalling.

Great year, though, no question.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-13-2013, 06:40 PM
He's a thrower first, runner second. I think he is the next Steve Young.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-13-2013, 06:42 PM
That's my thought as well. He's a gamer, no question, always showed up in big games in college too, but I expect a bit of a sophomore slump out of him and kaepernick both. I think it really benefits rookies to play pistol-style simplified playbooks, but I expect them to struggle as the playbooks are opened up a little more next year, and the league has plenty to study, both of them and their tendencies, and the playcalling.

Great year, though, no question.

It's not fair to lump him in with Kaepernick, IMO. SF runs a much more simplified O than Seattle, even if the Hawks do use zone read concepts.

Rain Man
01-13-2013, 06:44 PM
I am ****ing green with envy.

Hey, we got Donald Stephenson. Nothing to feel bad about.

lewdog
01-13-2013, 06:46 PM

Yup, his upside is higher than Kaepernick because he demonstrates great pocket awareness and is definitely a throw first QB. Kaep will be easier to game plan for, IMO, because he looks to run first.

TimeForWasp
01-13-2013, 06:49 PM
It just goes to show, there are good QBs later on in the draft if your personnel people can find them.

lewdog
01-13-2013, 06:51 PM
It just goes to show, there are good QBs later on in the draft if your personnel people can find them.

We already have our Ricky Stanzi. So if you are suggesting we don't take a QB with the #1 pick, I suggest deactivating your account.

TimeForWasp
01-13-2013, 06:53 PM
We already have our Ricky Stanzi. So if you are suggesting we don't take a QB with the #1 pick, I suggest deactivating your account.

I am not suggesting that because I'm doubting there will be good trade partners this year. If we can't get a good trade I would be for reaching for Geno.

I am imagining a blockbuster trade though.

aturnis
01-13-2013, 06:57 PM
It just goes to show, there are good QBs later on in the draft if everyone passes on them b/c they're small.

Fixed it.

mlyonsd
01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
You got a winner there Joe.

ThaVirus
01-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Yup, his upside is higher than Kaepernick because he demonstrates great pocket awareness and is definitely a throw first QB. Kaep will be easier to game plan for, IMO, because he looks to run first.

Eh, Kaepernick definitely looks to pass first. He just takes off whenever he sees a surplus if green in front of him; and why shouldn't he?

mcaj22
01-13-2013, 07:01 PM
this guy has amazing pocket awareness

and that bozo at Wisconsin fell ass backwards into him to when he transferred there. (oddly enough helping him get a job in the SEC)

Russel Wilson is a very good player of the game of football

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't know who I'd take...Rodgers or Wilson.

Honest to God.

Those are the two QB's I'd pick first to build a team around.

lewdog
01-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Eh, Kaepernick definitely looks to pass first. He just takes off whenever he sees a surplus if green in front of him; and why shouldn't he?

Sure but if I was defense game planning to make either QB a pocket passer and taking away running lanes, I would be much more fearful of Wilson's skills as a pocket QB. His downfield ball is very accurate.

ChiefGator
01-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Congrats on a good run with a rookie QB...

tk13
01-13-2013, 07:07 PM
I don't know who I'd take...Rodgers or Wilson.

Honest to God.

Those are the two QB's I'd pick first to build a team around.

I'll take Luck.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-13-2013, 07:12 PM
I'll take Luck.

Wilson had a better year against tougher competition, but he did have a better defense and running back, although Luck's receivers are better.

Luck is obviously the more traditional player, and he showed he can take a beating and still play well. I think it's pretty close.

tk13
01-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Wilson had a better year against tougher competition, but he did have a better defense and running back, although Luck's receivers are better.

Luck is obviously the more traditional player, and he showed he can take a beating and still play well. I think it's pretty close.

Seattle had a top 5 defense and running game. There's a pretty good history of rookie QB's doing well in those situations (Roethlisberger, Sanchez). Wilson had a bigger part in their success than those other guys though, no doubt.

But Luck had nothing like that, set a rookie passing record for yards, had seven 4th quarter game winning drives, and led a 2-14 team to 11-5. People are so ga-ga with the running QB's they don't realize the amazing things he did this year. I'm pretty sure Luck led the league in 4th quarter winning drives. That's amazing.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love me some Luck BUT

Wilson just...wow. That's all I can say. He does everything amazing well. He can run, he can extend plays, he always keeps his head down field, he has AMAZING accuracy, he has good arm strength, he has incredible poise, he has brass balls...

He's the new freaking Tom Brady.

3rd round pick? Are you kidding me? OMG I'm so jealous. The display he put on today, as a rookie, was unbelievable. Shit, that was one of the best QB'd 2nd halves I've ever seen in my life. Even in the 1st half he was pretty damn good despite no points.

That is the most impressed I've been with a QB since Rodgers lost a game to Warner in the playoffs the Arizona year. Rodgers, even in a loss, was unbelievable.

Today, Wilson was outstanding. OMG

I don't think anyone has more talent than that guy. Bleacher report LMAO

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:21 PM
I was called reactionary today but I simply believe Wilson is better than Luck. I'd honestly take Wilson over every QB in the NFL right now. Him or Rodgers. That's who I'd build a franchise around if I was given that luxury.

can't say enough about him, the Seahawks and Pete Carrol. That was the most impressive loss I've seen in recent history.

AussieChiefsFan
01-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Incredible finish. Shame to lose so narrowly, but the future looks promising!

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:22 PM
and I was also dead wrong about the NFC West being an easier mountain to climb than the AFC West with Manning

those two QB's...good luck

that division had a QUICK turnaround

ChiTown
01-13-2013, 07:23 PM
STUD!

Congrats and we are jealous.

keg in kc
01-13-2013, 07:23 PM
It's not fair to lump him in with Kaepernick, IMO. SF runs a much more simplified O than Seattle, even if the Hawks do use zone read concepts.That might be as much a matter of time on the field as it is anything else. If Kaepernick had started out the year as the starter they might do do more with him now. Although that team is traditionally pretty risk-averse on offense. But he has, what, 8 or 9 starts in two years? You don't usually see teams open up the playbook with a guy who comes in mid-year.

I'm not a big fan of Kaepernick's, in any case, my main point is that I've seen a lot of a first year starters do this kind of thing, then come back to struggle. Newton being the most recent example that comes to mind. Still had a decent season, but more of a decline from last year than a progression. I would not be surprised to see the same for Wilson, and I'd probably temper my expectations in the near-term were I a Seahawks fan.

Hope he does well, though. Nice to see a (young - brady doesn't count) big 10 QB playing some good football for a change. And I've always found the Seahawks to be a team that's hard to dislike.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Seattle had a top 5 defense and running game. There's a pretty good history of rookie QB's doing well in those situations (Roethlisberger, Sanchez). Wilson had a bigger part in their success than those other guys though, no doubt.

But Luck had nothing like that, set a rookie passing record for yards, had seven 4th quarter game winning drives, and led a 2-14 team to 11-5. People are so ga-ga with the running QB's they don't realize the amazing things he did this year. I'm pretty sure Luck led the league in 4th quarter winning drives. That's amazing.

There isn't even a comparison between Wilson and what Roethlisberger and Sanchez did as rookies, even if both won games and a lot of them. Wilson was also asked to win games and did it. He threw far fewer interceptions and more touchdowns than Luck, had a higher YPA, completion percentage (by 10 points), and he didn't have the benefit of a galvanizing force like ChuckStrong behind him.

Indy was a mirage. The debate is over how much of that credit you give to Luck as opposed to aberrational factors. If you look at FBO, for example, Indy is not only the worst 11-5 team in like 20 years, they were worse than any 10-6 team over the same time span. That suggests a team that was significantly worse than their record. Their Pythagorean W-L was 7-9. They were outscored by opponents. They got destroyed by the Jets and lost at home to Jacksonville. They barely beat the Chiefs.

Keep in mind that teams that often outperform Pythag often crater the next year. The 2011 and 2012 Chiefs are examples of that.

That's not to say that Luck is not an exceptional QB prospect. However, I think his team's BABIP this year was about .410. I realize that a counterargument could be made that Luck's late-game ability helped elevate the team, and I think there is some merit to it, but if i were a gambling man I would POUND Indy's under next year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
That might be as much a matter of time on the field as it is anything else. If Kaepernick had started out the year as the starter they might do do more with him now. Although that team is traditionally pretty risk-averse on offense. But he has, what, 8 or 9 starts in two years? You don't usually see teams open up the playbook with a guy who comes in mid-year.

I'm not a big fan of Kaepernick's, in any case, my main point is that I've seen a lot of a first year starters do this kind of thing, then come back to struggle. Newton being the most recent example that comes to mind. Still had a decent season, but more of a decline from last year than a progression. I would not be surprised to see the same for Wilson, and I'd probably temper my expectations in the near-term were I a Seahawks fan.

Hope he does well, though. Nice to see a (young - brady doesn't count) big 10 QB playing some good football for a change. And I've always found the Seahawks to be a team that's hard to dislike.

Kaepernick's a second year player, Wilson isn't. That means he's had an additional year to ingest NFL playbooks. I think it's fair to make a pretty straight comparison about where they are in their development, realizing that nothing is a direct 1:1 substitute for starting.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm the type of guy who uses the eye test more than stats...I make my own opinions based off of what I see.

I saw Luck make one of the worst passes I've ever seen in my life against the Chiefs overthrowing a wide open player in the end zone.

I think Luck will be great. I think this year he was average.

RUSSEL WILSON was off the charts good after about the first 1.5 months of the season. He played like the best QB in the NFL the past two months. Just sensational. He has no weaknesses, being short effects him in no way, and he can do EVERYTHING. His ability to extend the play and make big plays is second to none.

He's OMG good.

Kaepernick is another guy I was real high on, and he at least made me 50/50 yesterday when I picked the 49ers based off their pass rush and the fact I thought Kaepernick was VASTLY underrated.

Well he's underrated no longer.

But yeah, these are your new NFL QB's. Luck will be successful and elite but he's a dying breed. These new "hybrid" QB's are going to take over and take over fast.

AND I WANT ONE OF MY OWN

Easy 6
01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
You guys have a LOT to be hopeful about, that team has heart coming out of its earhole.

NEVER would've thought Pete freakin Carroll could assemble such a mighty, swaggering squad, were i a Seahawk fan i'd be THRILLED with my prospects.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:37 PM
I also think Wilson has dashing good looks, I love the fact he was a baseball player, and he is a great interview.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2013, 07:38 PM
I take everything back I Said about him after our preseason game. I called him a "preseason hero" and 99 times out of 100 that's usually the case for rookies. Major props to him for his season and hopefully it's a long career. He's a true talent.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2013, 07:40 PM
There isn't even a comparison between Wilson and what Roethlisberger and Sanchez did as rookies, even if both won games and a lot of them. Wilson was also asked to win games and did it. He threw far fewer interceptions and more touchdowns than Luck, had a higher YPA, completion percentage (by 10 points), and he didn't have the benefit of a galvanizing force like ChuckStrong behind him.

Indy was a mirage. The debate is over how much of that credit you give to Luck as opposed to aberrational factors. If you look at FBO, for example, Indy is not only the worst 11-5 team in like 20 years, they were worse than any 10-6 team over the same time span. That suggests a team that was significantly worse than their record. Their Pythagorean W-L was 7-9. They were outscored by opponents. They got destroyed by the Jets and lost at home to Jacksonville. They barely beat the Chiefs.

Keep in mind that teams that often outperform Pythag often crater the next year. The 2011 and 2012 Chiefs are examples of that.

That's not to say that Luck is not an exceptional QB prospect. However, I think his team's BABIP this year was about .410. I realize that a counterargument could be made that Luck's late-game ability helped elevate the team, and I think there is some merit to it, but if i were a gambling man I would POUND Indy's under next year.

LMAO

This wasn't even meant to be an amusing post and I'm chuckling.

Motherfucking 'Hamas' Jenkins.

Prison Bitch
Hey, we got Donald Stephenson. Nothing to feel bad about.

Wow that's depressing.:facepalm::facepalm:

Rasputin

Yes and other teams will find them. We need to just pick our guy with the first pick and be happy. It would show the team confidence that you can trust him to be the guy under center. Picking later in the draft is a much riskier business when the best of the crop can be got with the #1 pick.

Damn.

Frankie
Dare we say

Russel Wilson is maybe even better than RG3

?

He'll probably have a longer career anyway.

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2013, 07:43 PM

Thank you. I am going to attach this to every thread where people keep touting Arians as a top of list head coach candidate.

Prison Bitch
01-13-2013, 07:43 PM
I also think Wilson has dashing good looks, .

Wait, what?

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
I still really like RGIII but he's nowhere close to as far as long in the QB developmental process as Russel Wilson.

That dude, oh man...the performance he put on today was LEGENDARY. The poise, everything.

I'd trade our #1 pick and 3 future 1sts for that kid IN A SECOND.

How did he get passed on so many times? This doesn't even compare to a Tom Brady. Brady sat for a whole year and didn't really develop superhuman QB abilities for a few years after that...even after his first Super Bowl he was still kind of a system QB.

Over the course of 1 season, Wilson developed into a SUPERSTAR. The dude is a throw first QB who can extend every play, escape from any situation, break off monster runs, display unbelievable accuracy..

and in his first ever postseason he put HIS team on HIS back and brought them back down 14 one time and almost from down 20 in ONE HALF another time...starting the 2nd half 10-10 for 185 yards and 2 TDs...

I mean.

Fuck!

That's just unbelievable. Today he looked like GOD in a football uniform.

Why can't good things happen to us?

Al Bundy
01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Matt Bryant is a dickhole.

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 07:45 PM

Can you blame him? It's not like GB was filling those gaps to deter him from running. I think its an unfair assessment to think he is a run first guy just because he ran frequently based on what he was given.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Wait, what?

I loved his interview where he ended it with "Go Hawks."

He sounded like a true professional, intelligent guy and yes...a good looking man. Great muscle definition, everything.

The dude is a man's man, and he can play the shit out of QB to boot!

I just traded Colin Kaepernick (17th round value) for Russel Wilson (5th round value) in my dynasty league (along with swapping 1st round picks, I get the #1 overall, guy gets the #8 overall). You lose the round your keeper was picked in in the draft so I'll lose a 5 and he'll lose a 17 which is why we swapped 1sts.

Dylan
01-13-2013, 07:48 PM

Wilson is my choice for Offensive Rookie of the Year. He has made some big plays at an accurate level.

According to NFL Network, Wilson set a rookie record for most passing yards in the postseason since 1937.

He is a very impressive young quarterback.

Easy 6
01-13-2013, 07:49 PM
But yeah, these are your new NFL QB's. Luck will be successful and elite but he's a dying breed. These new "hybrid" QB's are going to take over and take over fast.

A big, excellent pocket passer will never go out of style... when you make great decisions and can take a beating, you're ALWAYS going to win plenty.

Luck ended the year with 54%, a stat that will surely climb, but he made great decisions and was always able to stay in the game, and you could ALWAYS tell his team had faith in him, as evidenced by their play.

The new breed like Wilson, Kaepernick, 3... absolutely, they are thrilling players in every sense of the word, but at some point even the most durable of them (wilson, kaep imo) will have to scale back the running and focus on the passing much more, thats flashy, high risk scheming will sooner or later sideline them way too much to hold their jobs.

Running ability for a quarterback is nothing more than the gravy on top of your pocket passing meat and potatoes.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:49 PM
like I said, I'm omitting Brady and Manning from all future lists, but here are my 2013 QB power rankings in terms of who I'd want running my team for ONE season.

1. Russel Wilson
2. Aaron Rodgers
GAP
3. Colin Kaepernick
GAP
4. Drew Brees
5. Andrew Luck
6. Eli Manning
7. RGIII
8. Matt Ryan
9. Cam Newton
10. GSIII (of course!!!)

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
I think Hamas hit the nail on the head with Wilson.

Steve Young.

I never thought of that.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:51 PM
I can agree that Kaepernick and RGIII still have major development to do that their amazing running abilities will mask for 5 years.

Wilson isn't comparable. He can do the running stuff, but he doesn't ever look to do it. He doesn't need it now to be amazing, it's just another skill in his arsenal.

Kaepernick probably wouldn't be the threat he is now without the running ability, that's for sure. Same with RGIII, although I think both of them can be good pocket QB's.

Fritz88
01-13-2013, 07:52 PM
I also think Wilson has dashing good looks, I love the fact he was a baseball player, and he is a great interview.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17x29pv9t02szjpg/original.jpg

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 07:53 PM
like I said, I'm omitting Brady and Manning from all future lists, but here are my 2013 QB power rankings in terms of who I'd want running my team for ONE season.

1. Russel Wilson
2. Aaron Rodgers
GAP
3. Colin Kaepernick
GAP
4. Drew Brees
5. Andrew Luck
6. Eli Manning
7. RGIII
8. Matt Ryan
9. Cam Newton
10. GSIII (of course!!!)

How big is the gap between aaron rodgers and Kaepernick? Going into last night, I'd say a huge one. But Kaepernick looked really good, and he has the best quarterback mind coaching him. He's going to be really, really good.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 07:54 PM
as a guy who watches very little college football and does very little college scouting

HOW IN THE FUCK DID EVERYONE MISS THIS GUY?

he's a man, so he's developed. The skill set was clearly there. Did being 5'10" really knock this guy to round 3? holy shit

I can see Brady...I don't think he was a MAN yet. I think he was still growing into his body a bit.

but this guy?

He clowned everyone.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-13-2013, 07:55 PM
I think Hamas hit the nail on the head with Wilson.

Steve Young.

I never thought of that.

The rare cross-racial QB comparison.

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Most would agree that Harbaugh coached up Alex Smith.
Most would also agree that Kaepernick has a higher ceiling than Alex Smith.
So I think it's logical to think that with Kaepernick's athletic ability and ceiling as a pocket passer (with Harbaugh's help, of course), the guy can be much better. That's scary considering how good he was last night.

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 07:58 PM
he's a man, so he's developed. .

Dude, you are approaching epic gay status.

milkman
01-13-2013, 07:59 PM
I think Andrew Luck's rookie season was overhyped because of the draft hype.

That team didn't pay a tough schedule and he threw a ton of picks and he only completed 54% of his passes.

Both RGIII and Russel Wilson had better seasons.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:01 PM
How big is the gap between aaron rodgers and Kaepernick? Going into last night, I'd say a huge one. But Kaepernick looked really good, and he has the best quarterback mind coaching him. He's going to be really, really good.

I'm not the guy who thinks you need a body of work to be considered the current best. I said the Packers Super Bowl year and the next year Rodgers was the most talented QB I had ever seen in my entire life.

I think I'm still taking Rodgers by a considerable margin because he is more traditional and makes passes that no one in the world can make.

I think he needs to work on taking less sacks. I don't think that is on his offensive line, I think it is on him. People always talk about Cutler having a terrible line in Chicago but I disagree. I think a QB can make a line look a whole lot better, or worse (like Cutler) than it really is.

If Kaepernick QB'd the Packers last night and Rodgers the 49ers, I still would have picked the 49ers to win. I thought the defense the 49ers have (FAST) presented a HUGE matchup problem for Rodgers.

I think Rodgers is on an elite level and he can carry a team to a championship with little help. I'm not sure I'm ready to elevate Kaepernick there yet BUT he's really, really close.

I mean, you can't defend a guy who is accurate with the deep ball, can throw it a mile and 100 MPH, and can run like Cam freaking Newton...and generally has made the smart decision 9 times out of 10. (and has a QB friendly head coach to help along the way)

Deberg_1990
01-13-2013, 08:01 PM
How did he get passed on so many times?

It's has been discussed many times already, but the 1st few rounds of the draft especially the first round are all about measurables. It's because for the most part, most of the hits do fit into a certain measurable. It's all about playing the odds, but yes, every now and then a player will rise above his perceived ability. For every Wilson, Brady or Montana, there are about a thousand who fail.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:02 PM
all I know is Kaepernick and Wilson make me sad because I want my very own one of those

thinking Geno doesn't have that speed, am I right?

Prison Bitch
01-13-2013, 08:04 PM

1. Russel Wilson
2. Aaron Rodgers
GAP
3. Colin Kaepernick
GAP
4. Drew Brees
5. Andrew Luck
6. Eli Manning
7. RGIII
8. Matt Ryan
9. Cam Newton
10. GSIII (of course!!!)

Lol at taking him over Rodgers

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:04 PM
you know that's fine and dandy and I'm the last mother fucker on this board that goes "oh man we should have taken Gronk!" when he was taken a few picks after McCluster because it's so unrealistic...

but we had Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn...we needed a god damn QB. I'm fine not reaching and taking the 4th best QB prospect where we took Poe if he wasn't rated high...

but we have no excuse for not drafting a QB...and to think by the time we should have drafted one the guy would have, or at least should have been Wilson sickens me

tredadda
01-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Fixed it.

^ This X100000. Wilson would have been a Top 5 pick had he been 6' 3" instead of 5' 11".

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:06 PM

I love me some Aaron Rodgers.

if he fixes the 'holds the ball' too long problem, I'd take him #1 in a heart beat

what I saw today out of Russel Wilson?

I don't think anyone on this planet is capable of that.

I'm head over heels.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:07 PM
well at the very least this should change how scouts think

they said the same shit about Brandon Flowers and he turned out to be quite the 2nd round steal

tk13
01-13-2013, 08:08 PM

I completely agree with all this, and I guess you weren't around... but you could find posts where I make several of these points over the last month or so. They might have been one of the worst playoff teams of any record of all time.

But they still made it. Part of it was the lack of decent teams of the AFC. But part of it is having a QB who played well under pressure for the most part. They are not a good team, but Luck carried them to 11-5. I think that actually aids my point.

If you gave Luck a top 5 running back and defense, he may have been good enough to get to a Super Bowl THIS year. He is a robot put on this earth to play QB.

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm not the guy who thinks you need a body of work to be considered the current best. I said the Packers Super Bowl year and the next year Rodgers was the most talented QB I had ever seen in my entire life.

I think I'm still taking Rodgers by a considerable margin because he is more traditional and makes passes that no one in the world can make.

I think he needs to work on taking less sacks. I don't think that is on his offensive line, I think it is on him. People always talk about Cutler having a terrible line in Chicago but I disagree. I think a QB can make a line look a whole lot better, or worse (like Cutler) than it really is.

If Kaepernick QB'd the Packers last night and Rodgers the 49ers, I still would have picked the 49ers to win. I thought the defense the 49ers have (FAST) presented a HUGE matchup problem for Rodgers.

I think Rodgers is on an elite level and he can carry a team to a championship with little help. I'm not sure I'm ready to elevate Kaepernick there yet BUT he's really, really close.

I mean, you can't defend a guy who is accurate with the deep ball, can throw it a mile and 100 MPH, and can run like Cam freaking Newton...and generally has made the smart decision 9 times out of 10. (and has a QB friendly head coach to help along the way)

I agree with pretty much everything you said. The first bolded paragraph is spot on, especially because aaron is really, really good. The reason I think Kaepernick is close is because he's making a huge difference now and he hasn't even started a full season. Couple his athletic ability with his composure, where he is at currently, and most importantly having Harbaugh, and you have one hell of a future QB.

And the second bolded paragraph played into my point well, so I bolded that too:thumb:

Deberg_1990
you know that's fine and dandy and I'm the last mother ****er on this board that goes "oh man we should have taken Gronk!" when he was taken a few picks after McCluster because it's so unrealistic...

but we had Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn...we needed a god damn QB. I'm fine not reaching and taking the 4th best QB prospect where we took Poe if he wasn't rated high...

but we have no excuse for not drafting a QB...and to think by the time we should have drafted one the guy would have, or at least should have been Wilson sickens me

Well, this is why Pioli is out of a job.

Hootie
I think the only thing I would have liked to see out of Wilson today, and this is nitpicking, is buying a bit more time on that hail mary to give his receivers a fighting chance.

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 08:11 PM

Did you see what russell wilson did today with most would consider inferior talent?

I would take the packers' supporting cast over what russell wilson has to work with.

I think its a fair point, though I don't exactly agree.

Hootie
I was pretty sold on Kaepernick after the Bears game. I don't really believe you can be THAT good and it be a fluke.

Sanchez would have "good" games statistically but they never passed the eye test for me. Same with Cassel (obviously)

and another guy who doesn't pass the eye test to me, at all, is Ryan Tannehill.

tk13
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/01/12/arians-luck-made-plays-manning-roethlisberger-didn

Colts QB Andrew Luck, who set an NFL rookie record for passing yards and tied the all-time mark for fourth-quarter victories en route to leading a 2-14 club in 2011 to 11 wins and a postseason berth, is his own biggest critic.

“I would give him an ‘A’, but he’ll give himself a ‘C,’ that’s just the type of kid he is," said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who, after mentoring QBs Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger during their rookie seasons, again showed he has the magic touch with developing first-year triggermen. “He shouldered it without ever looking like he was pressed to carry the team. He just tried to do the job the best he could and at times I thought he was miraculous.

“He made plays that I’ve only seen Ben or Peyton make later in their careers, let alone as a rookie,” he said.

Not only plays; Arians put a lot more two-minute and no-huddle offense responsibilities on the plate of Luck than he did in the first seasons of a pair of future Hall of Famers.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:14 PM
the funny thing is Russel Wilson's contract LMAO

if I were him I'd be like "sup bros, new contract time."

I don't give a shit if I have another 3 years, I'm not playing another season like he did for $300K.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2013, 08:14 PM
I don't really think you can compare Luck to RGIII or Wilson.

Luck's OL is dreadful, and the skill positions on that offense are lacking outside ancient Reggie Wayne.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
even though with his charisma and charming good looks I'm sure he'll get a few advertising deals

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
the funny thing is Russel Wilson's contract LMAO

if I were him I'd be like "sup bros, new contract time."

I don't give a shit if I have another 3 years, I'm not playing another season like he did for $300K.

Have you seen what they're paying Flynn?LMAO

Deberg_1990
01-13-2013, 08:16 PM
I was pretty sold on Kaepernick after the Bears game. I don't really believe you can be THAT good and it be a fluke.

Sanchez would have "good" games statistically but they never passed the eye test for me. Same with Cassel (obviously)

and another guy who doesn't pass the eye test to me, at all, is Ryan Tannehill.

Sanchez was a guy taken way to high. its amazing because his measurables were nothing special. As far as I can tell, he got picked that high because he played for a good USC team and a lot of people kept saying he just had"it".

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:16 PM
I don't really think you can compare Luck to RGIII or Wilson.

Luck's OL is dreadful, and the skill positions on that offense are lacking outside ancient Reggie Wayne.

Meh.

You know, I'll give Lynch credit. He's pretty good. I don't think he's SUPER elite or anything, but he's good.

BUT YOU'RE TELLING ME that Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Zach Miller and Anthony McCoy are better than what Luck has in Indy?

You may have a point on the offensive line but AGAIN, good QB's make average lines look good.

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 08:17 PM
even though with his charisma and charming good looks I'm sure he'll get a few advertising deals

I see your gay and I raise you another gay:

His huge **** will get him a porn deal.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Have you seen what they're paying Flynn?LMAO

3 years, $19.5M with $10M guaranteed...so like a high paid backup, guess it makes sense

tk13
Meh.

You know, I'll give Lynch credit. He's pretty good. I don't think he's SUPER elite or anything, but he's good.

BUT YOU'RE TELLING ME that Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Zach Miller and Anthony McCoy are better than what Luck has in Indy?

You may have a point on the offensive line but AGAIN, good QB's make average lines look good.

Welcome to Hootie's world, where guys who rush for 1600 yards and 5 ypc aren't elite.

Hootie
I see your gay and I raise you another gay:

His huge **** will get him a porn deal.

if there is any justice in this world, he has a small dinger

GoChargers
01-13-2013, 08:19 PM
I'd take Wilson over Luck simply because the QB position is being redefined right now. Because skill positions are so important and expensive, and cap space is so limited, it's very hard to build a stout O-line without leaving yourself thin in regards to playmakers.

As a result, elite quarterbacks will soon be expected to be equally deadly in the passing game and on the ground when the pocket collapses. I'm more confident in Wilson's ability to juggle both responsibilities than I am in Luck's. Luck can run a little bit but he's definitely the textbook old-school pocket passer, the type of QB that's slowly being phased out of the league.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Meh.

Luck's OL is worse than average. They were the 2nd worst PB line in football.

I honestly think he dragged that team to 11-5.

Remember, he was a lot more "exposed" than these other QBs.

He was 5th in passing attempts. The other guys were 25th.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Welcome to Hootie's world, where guys who rush for 1600 yards and 5 ypc aren't elite.

I just don't see him as a "special" back. I don't see Alfred Morris as "special", either.

Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett used to pwn in the Atlanta backfield with Vick at QB, too.

No doubt in my mind that QB's who can run open up lanes for guys like Lynch they aren't used to having.

I think he's a good NFL RB, I just don't consider him great.

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 08:21 PM
3 years, $19.5M with $10M guaranteed...so like a high paid backup, guess it makes sense

But seeing how Wilson has performed and what he's paid in comparison to Flynn is laughable.

TimeForWasp
01-13-2013, 08:21 PM
But , But , But , Wilson is cuter than Luck.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:22 PM
I would definitely rate Wilson closer to Brady Quinn on the 1 - Brady Quinn scale than Luck.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:22 PM
and we're talking good looks, not QB play regarding the Brady Quinn scale

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 08:23 PM
if there is any justice in this world, he has a small dinger

LMAO

He is 5'10"...

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 08:25 PM
But , But , But , Wilson is cuter than Luck.

If you can market Peyton Manning's fivehead, there should be no problem marketing Luck's classic dork face and mouth-breathing tendency.

Deberg_1990
I just don't see him as a "special" back. I don't see Alfred Morris as "special", either.

Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett used to pwn in the Atlanta backfield with Vick at QB, too.

No doubt in my mind that QB's who can run open up lanes for guys like Lynch they aren't used to having.

I think he's a good NFL RB, I just don't consider him great.

What do you consider a special RB? Someone headed for the Hall of Fame? I can't think of any RBs today who will make the Hall of Fame off the top of my head? They don't play long enough anymore.

Chief'nDisBiznitch
wilsons not good if he was the seahawks would be in the nfc championship

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 08:26 PM
What do you consider a special RB? Someone headed for the Hall of Fame? I can't think of any RBs today who will make the Hall of Fame off the top of my head? They don't play long enough anymore.

:spock:AP man...

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
wilsons not good if he was the seahawks would be in the nfc championship

Hey, a resident retard! This thread really has it all!

Deberg_1990
01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
:spock:AP man...

Ah..ok, thanks

Bump
01-13-2013, 08:28 PM
Russel Wilson's performance today was the best I've ever seen from a rookie QB. Wow.

milkman
01-13-2013, 08:28 PM
all I know is Kaepernick and Wilson make me sad because I want my very own one of those

thinking Geno doesn't have that speed, am I right?

Geno Smith isn't as fast as Wilson, but his mobility is equal to Rodgers.

His arm strength, when he gets a couple of mechanical issues fixed will also be similar to Rodgers, and his accuracy is as good as any QB that I've seen.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:31 PM

in today's NFL?

I just don't see him top tier.

I'd say Jamaal Charles, Peterson, C.J. Spiller are guys who are ELITE because they have ELITE playmaking abilities.

Marshawn has those 'omg' power beast mode runs from time to time but this is his first TRULY good statistical year and I have a hard time not giving credit to the read option or the fact he's a run between the tackles back and now the ends have to keep contain or spy on Russel Wilson.

Dunn and Duckett averaged a shit ton of YPC with Vick at QB...Lynch had been a bust up until last year and still only averaged 4.2 YPC.

This is his first real good statistical year in the NFL.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:32 PM
I have no problem lumping Lynch with Ray Rice and Arian Foster and guys like that who I consider "2nd tier" but I'd even put him one notch below them, too.

He's arguably a top 10 RB in the NFL. But those backs are just a dime a dozen, we see it every year.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Also, another thing about Luck:

His receivers dropped 50 passes this year.

That is a fuck ton of drops that contributed to his completion percentage.

PFF grades those on "catchable" balls, too.

GoChargers
01-13-2013, 08:34 PM

Adrian Peterson. LaDainian Tomlinson (a little farther back than "today" but still recent).

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:35 PM
how many did RGIII's receivers drop? I'm curious, because I watched a lot of Skins games and I remember a lot of drops.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2013, 08:36 PM
I have no problem lumping Lynch with Ray Rice and Arian Foster and guys like that who I consider "2nd tier" but I'd even put him one notch below them, too.

He's arguably a top 10 RB in the NFL. But those backs are just a dime a dozen, we see it every year.

The fact is both of these other QBs had top running games to lean on.

The Colts were 22nd.

Luck is going to be the best QB in the long term. Yes, even better than Wilson.

LINE IN THE SAND DRAWN, HOOTIE

Hammock Parties
01-13-2013, 08:39 PM
how many did RGIII's receivers drop? I'm curious, because I watched a lot of Skins games and I remember a lot of drops.

The Seahawks only had 26 drops.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:40 PM
well of course they had better running games

that's what happens when you have QB's who can run and make the defense account for it

Vick...even Vince Young proved that in the past.

I'm sorry. Alfred Morris is not an ELITE running back. The fact he fared so well is A) that was THEIR offense and B) you had to pick your poison between RGIII taking it outside the edge or Morris taking it between the tackles.

I mean, that's just not even a good arguing point for Luck.

Can I see Luck developing into an all-time great? Yes. Absolutely.

Was he even close to Wilson's level this year? No. Not at all.

I'm sorry. Russel Wilson played 3 near flawless months of football on an offense that doesn't have elite playmakers other than Russel Wilson.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:41 PM

The Seahawks only had 26 drops.

the Redskins had 37 drops, the Colts had 50...how many more passes did the Colts throw than the Redskins?

I bet the ratio per attempt for Washington is WAY higher than Indianapolis.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I hope no one takes this as me "bashing" Luck. I know he'll be great.

He just wasn't nearly on the same level as Wilson. No way.

tk13
01-13-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm pretty sure you took a blow to the head while you were banned and need to see a doctor. Wilson had a great year but to imply he's miles ahead of Luck when Luck threw for more yards than any rookie QB in the history of football, led the league in 4th quarter wins and carried his team to the playoffs is insane. This is worse than your takes yesterday, and those were horrible.

milkman
01-13-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm pretty sure you took a blow to the head while you were banned and need to see a doctor. Wilson had a great year but to imply he's miles ahead of Luck when Luck threw for more yards than any rookie QB in the history of football, led the league in 4th quarter wins and carried his team to the playoffs is insane. This is worse than your takes yesterday, and those were horrible.

Yards are a poor measuring stick.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
the Redskins had 37 drops, the Colts had 50...how many more passes did the Colts throw than the Redskins?

I bet the ratio per attempt for Washington is WAY higher than Indianapolis.

Do you think RGIII or Russell Wilson would have had nearly the success they did if they had to throw 600 passes?

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:49 PM

Perhaps my Denver takes were off, maybe even by a lot.

But I also predicted the 49ers to win and said Kaepernick was vastly underrated...but I'm glad you only cherry pick certain takes.

I also picked the Falcons and I also said the Patriots would win in blowout fashion.

So I was 3 for god damn 4.

and I still think Von Miller is better than Dwight Freeney and I still think Demaryius Thomas is more talented than Marvin Kennison.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2013, 08:50 PM
I'm sorry. Alfred Morris is not an ELITE running back. .

Alfred Morris forced more missed tackles than everyone except Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch.

He's kickass.

Lynch and Morris are pretty fucking awesome...and Luck's RBs are garbage.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Do you think RGIII or Russell Wilson would have had nearly the success they did if they had to throw 600 passes?

RGIII no.

Wilson, yes.

After the first 6 weeks, I don't know what it was...but something clicked. The read option helped add another twist to their offense and then once Seattle started keeping defenses on their toes Wilson became an elite QB.

He has played like an elite QB now for 3 months. He has been the best QB in the playoffs so far. He does things only Russel Wilson can do.

I mean, what I witnessed today was just mind blowing. He made me forget about Colin Kaepernick's mind blowing performance from a day ago.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Alfred Morris forced more missed tackles than everyone except Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch.

He's kickass.

Lynch and Morris are pretty ****ing awesome...and Luck's RBs are garbage.

Lynch, Morris AND Ballard are system fucking backs.

Did those 3 lead the NFL in carries, too?

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:53 PM
hahahahahahaha lol like I suspected

THEY DID

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingYards/seasontype/2

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:53 PM
oh shit, maybe not...2,3 and 5

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 08:54 PM

He's kickass.

Lynch and Morris are pretty ****ing awesome...and Luck's RBs are garbage.

Can you attribute any of those missed tackles to a tired defense that has to chase RGIII around?

Hammock Parties
Not sure what your point is. They are a lot better than Vick Ballard. You don't force that many guys to miss tackles without being a badass.

Hammock Parties
Can you attribute any of those missed tackles to a tired defense that has to chase RGIII around?

No, but at this point RGIII and Russell Wilson are already going in the Hootie Hall of Fame so why bother arguing. LMAO

Bowser
01-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Seattle double whammied us. Not only did I want Russell Wilson to be drafted by us instead of Donald Stephenson, but they snaked James Turbin in the fourth right ahead of us, as well.

In all reality, even if Pioli would have pulled the trigger on Wilson, he likely wouldn't have even made the active roster with us. He would have ended up on the practice squad only to be pilfered by another team that could actually see talent.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 08:59 PM
look

all I'm saying is

we see these system backs in good systems come from nowhere and I don't consider them elite

Alfred Morris is a nice story but if he was on the Chiefs is he any better than Shaun fucking Draughn? I'm not sure. I doubt it.

ThaVirus
01-13-2013, 08:59 PM
I was called reactionary today but I simply believe Wilson is better than Luck. I'd honestly take Wilson over every QB in the NFL right now. Him or Rodgers. That's who I'd build a franchise around if I was given that luxury.

can't say enough about him, the Seahawks and Pete Carrol. That was the most impressive loss I've seen in recent history.

Yeah, that was me LMAO and I think that's obvious now. Your jaws HAVE to be sore as shit right now. Seriously, you've been fellating this guy for the past 7 hours..

Wilson over Rodgers for one game? Come on, man. I could understand if you were staring a franchise because Wilson's like 6 years his junior, but he's NOT better than Rodgers right now.

Did you see what russell wilson did today with most would consider inferior talent?

I would take the packers' supporting cast over what russell wilson has to work with.

I think its a fair point, though I don't exactly agree.

What? The Packers have a shit team outside of Rodgers and those receivers (one could make the argument that Rodgers makes them look better than they are).

Their run game is non-existant and the defense might as well lay down on every drive. Meanwhile, Wilson was blessed with the best defense in the league and one of the better RBs. His receivers are below average, in my opinion, but they're serviceable.

crossbow
01-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Yep,

If he made it to training camp and blew a hole in the ozone, the Chiefs brass would have started Cassel anyway.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2013, 09:07 PM
look

all I'm saying is

we see these system backs in good systems come from nowhere and I don't consider them elite

Alfred Morris is a nice story but if he was on the Chiefs is he any better than Shaun fucking Draughn? I'm not sure. I doubt it.

Shaun Draughn made 3 guys miss all year and was one of the worst RBs in the league by PFF metrics....yet you think Alfred Morris is no better.

C'mon, man.

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Yeah, that was me LMAO and I think that's obvious now. Your jaws HAVE to be sore as shit right now. Seriously, you've been fellating this guy for the past 7 hours..

Wilson over Rodgers for one game? Come on, man. I could understand if you were staring a franchise because Wilson's like 6 years his junior, but he's NOT better than Rodgers right now.

What? The Packers have a shit team outside of Rodgers and those receivers (one could make the argument that Rodgers makes them look better than they are).

Their run game is non-existant and the defense might as well lay down on every drive. Meanwhile, Wilson was blessed with the best defense in the league and one of the better RBs. His receivers are below average, in my opinion, but they're serviceable.

I was just talking offense. You're right, the packers defense is terrible. But those receivers made some great plays last night, as they always do. And the newfound running game almost seemed to hurt Rodgers' game than enhance it.

I still would take the Packers receivers(Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley) over what seattle has (Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Zach Miller). And I'd take Mccarthy whoever Seattle has. Fact is, Matt ****ing Flynn looked like an all-pro with the same supporting cast, and that has to count for something.

Maybe it's just the fact that I've been studying for 10 hours and I'm going a little insane.

Hootie
01-13-2013, 09:10 PM
he might be a bit better, but how would he have performed in KC assuming we didn't have Charles

1600+ yards?

those kinds of RB's are simply plug and play

the best thing about Morris was he appeared to be quite durable.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2013, 09:13 PM
Hootie!

evolve27
01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
I really like him a lot. Wish we hade a QB like him here..... oh, wait... we CAN, if we draft Geno Smith!

There isn't a QB worthy of the number one pick/The Clarks

seamonster
01-13-2013, 09:16 PM

Not very accurate and wants to run before pass. I watched him pass up touchdown passes to run twenty yards and he'd over throw receivers by ten yards against the redskins. Defenses will adjust to his shtick if he doesn't start to throw the ball better. Kapernick and RGIII can make throw's he can't come close to replicating.

Joe Seahawk
01-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Not very accurate and wants to run before pass. I watched him pass up touchdown passes to run twenty yards and he'd over throw receivers by ten yards against the redskins. Defenses will adjust to his shtick if he doesn't start to throw the ball better. Kapernick and RGIII can make throw's he can't come close to replicating.

Hmmm, Not sure how much you have seen him play this year, but what you are describing is not the same Russel Wilson I've watched all year (Season ticket holder).

I am extremely proud of RW3 and the rest of our team. Should have had that one today.. :shake:

milkman
01-13-2013, 09:26 PM

What game were you watching?

Bowser
01-13-2013, 09:30 PM

He threw for 300 yards in the SECOND HALF.

Tell us you're trolling.

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Hmmm, Not sure how much you have seen him play this year, but what you are describing is not the same Russel Wilson I've watched all year (Season ticket holder).

I am extremely proud of RW3 and the rest of our team. Should have had that one today.. :shake:

I envy you. An up and coming team in that stadium... Well worth the money.

alpha_omega
01-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Yep, nice player.
Congrats Joe!
And for a great season too.

Cephalic Trauma
01-13-2013, 09:42 PM

He had 385 yards passing and 60 yards rushing.... 36 passing attempts to 7 rushes.

I don't know how an individual looking at those stats can come to that conclusion, but wow. I am amazed. It's as if you just started typing without asking yourself "does this really make sense, or will i make myself look like a complete fool by saying this?"

Sorter
01-13-2013, 10:15 PM

Wrong.

Rasputin
01-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Wrong.

Don't wory Sorter, I put him in red just so it's easy to spot the idiots.

Boy there have been a bunch of them around here lately.

Sorter
01-13-2013, 10:28 PM
I hope no one takes this as me "bashing" Luck. I know he'll be great.

He just wasn't nearly on the same level as Wilson. No way.

Don't wory Sorter, I put him in red just so it's easy to spot the idiots.

Boy there have been a bunch of them around here lately.

http://chan.catiewayne.com/b/src/130909952457.gif

Dylan
01-14-2013, 12:05 AM
I'll take Luck.

I like Andrew Luck. He shakes off blocks - Big guy, good presence on the field - tight spiral - he can move with ease in the pocket. throws with accuracy

just my opinion.

Sorter
01-14-2013, 12:05 AM
I like Luck. He shakes off blocks - Big guy, good presence on the field - tight spiral - he can move with ease in the pocket. throws with accuracy

just my opinion.

I like them all.

HolyHat
01-14-2013, 12:29 AM
The guy doesn't get rattled at all. Completely fearless and a real class act. I hope he can continue to do well because he's a lot of fun to watch and an easy guy to root for.

Dylan
01-14-2013, 01:55 AM
I like them all.

The question becomes, which quarterback would you want to build your team around?

From Hank Gola's article in the NY Daily News on Thursday:

Quarterbacks like Griffin III, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and Cam Newton – guys with both cannons and jets – all have an indefinite expiration date, a window, perhaps, of when they'll be their best. The more a QB runs, the more he's exposed to injury – knees, concussions and otherwise.

But for football fans in general, everybody got screwed when the Redskins mishandled RG3's knee injury. Hopefully, RG3, motivated athlete that he is, pulls an Adrian Peterson and comes back from surgery as good as new. But if he doesn't, we've all been denied seeing the best of a once-in-a-lifetime player.

That's the shame of it, that perhaps we got just a glimpse of his potential for just a stretch of his rookie season.

Thankfully, Wilson, Kaepernick and Newton have avoided injuries so far, but each time one takes off and a bigger defender is bearing down on them, their fans have to be holding their breaths.

Running quarterbacks are nothing new of course. They used to be called scramblers. Gil Brandt, the former Cowboys GM, joked that they'd hold up a sign "Stop, Roger, Stop" whenever Roger Staubach pulled in the football. But somehow guys like Staubach and Fran Tarkenton avoided serious knee injuries. Quarterbacks, in general, did. Joe Namath was an exception.

Then, as the speed and size of the players increased, so did the injury factor. Randall Cunningham never was the same after he blew out his knee the first week of the 1991 season. With Michael Vick, it's been more of a cumulative effect that has worn down his body and battered his brain.

Vick was still an exception when he came out of Virginia Tech. He debuted with the Falcons as the first modern video-game quarterback. Now, with the influx of the quarterback/athlete and the threat that he can bring to an offense, these guys are going to be easier to find – and more difficult to measure.

When the Colts were deciding between Griffin III and Andrew Luck as the No. 1 pick, they knew either one could turn around their franchise. They went with Luck in part because, as a more traditional pocket passer, he'd have the longer career.

The question will come up again when Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel comes up for the draft. Plenty of teams will be lining up for him, but it's going to take an organizational commitment because of the style of player he is.

ESPN's business analyst Andrew Brandt, a former player agent who worked for nine years in the Packers' front office, agrees that special considerations have to be taken.

"Obviously it depends on which running quarterback," Brandt said. "The Redskins went in with their eyes open with RG3 and the fact that he had an ACL injury in 2009. They were still willing to mortgage their future to trade up to get him. Whether someone would do that for a non-special talent remains to be seen. It's tough to make a blanket statement. I think teams are going to look at styles and project out durability issues."

The Redskins' commitment to Griffin makes their handling of his injury all the more questionable because they changed their entire offense to suit him. It was RG3's team before he ever set foot in Redskins Park.

"Every team has its own evaluation and the Redskins made a choice that this investment is going to be worth whatever it took," Brandt said. "Now a running quarterback taken in the fourth or fifth round (Kansas State's Collin Klein for example) is a different animal. It depends on the investment level and the buy-in from the coaches about how to run things.

"A lot of times it revolves around what you have in place already," Brandt said. "The Redskins were certainly convinced that whatever they have in place was not working and they were going to move on to whatever system would put Griffin in the best system to succeed. That's a large investment way beyond the money."

It remains to be seen whether these new-age quarterbacks can flourish or whether they're flashes in the pan, as brilliant as those flashes may be.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/gola-duel-threat-qbs-thrill-fleeting-article-1.1237353

Dylan
01-14-2013, 02:00 AM
SF 49ers don't believe Kaepernick will suffer same fate as RGIII.

From Ebenezer Samuel's article in NY Daily News on January 11:

The Kaep Attack doesn’t utilize the read-option as frequently as the RG3-led Redskins have, but Kaepernick’s versatility has still thrown defenders off-balance, allowing San Francisco to score 25 points in six of his seven starts this season.

“He’s a strong athlete,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said of Kaepernick.

“Can do everything from the pocket, out of the pocket.”

But the Niners’ read-option package also places Kaepernick at risk every single time he scrambles from the pocket, or keeps the ball on a read-option play. And that risk hasn’t escaped coach Jim Harbaugh, who was reminded of that last Sunday.

“Does it make you think about (safety)? Sure, yeah,” Harbaugh said. “That’s something you think about, the health and safety of your quarterback.”

Nevertheless, Harbaugh didn’t indicate that the Niners would change their system, because San Fran believes its read-option maestro is more durable than RG3. While his lanky frame is hardly Tebow-esque, Kaepernick stands 6-4 and weighs 230 pounds, and safety Donte Whitner said he can deliver hits as well as he takes them.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/rg3-woes-niners-qb-kaepernick-running-article-1.1238637

On Saturday, Kaepernick ran for 181 yards on 16 carries. He ran for 20 and 56 yards on two plays.

Kaepernick topped Vick's mark with the 56-yard keeper on an option play in the third quarter. That gave Kaepernick 163 yards on 12 carries, also setting a 49ers franchise record for the postseason.

Kaepernick had 11 carries for 107 yards rushing by halftime.

Joe Seahawk
01-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Crazy stat.. :shake:

The 2012-2013 season has seen 264 total games to this point with each of those games having at least two QB performances. So 528+ QB performances this year.

Of those over 500 performances, just 86 of them scored on par with Wilson's performance yesterday. Only EIGHT times all season, IN OVER FIVE HUNDRED PERFORMANCES, did a QB perform that well and lose. The odds of performing that well and losing is 1.5% (528/8).

And Wilson owns THREE of those EIGHT. Not only that, but ALL of those losses came in Seattle's 8-3 stretch to end the season.

Now remember that Seattle finished with the #1 scoring defense in the NFL. This takes the term "hard luck" to a whole new level.

That kind of luck won't continue forever. Another reason for optimism.

houstonwhodat
01-14-2013, 08:32 PM
I like the fact that he can run but only if he needs to unlike that fool at San Fran.

I hate running qb's.

Demonpenz
01-14-2013, 08:35 PM
I would like to wait to see how his second year is.