PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How much do you trust Dorsey/Reid to pick our next franchise QB?

mlyonsd
01-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Ok we've hashed this out before but after listening to Dorsey today I'm not so sure we'll be using the 1st pick for a QB.

In a previous Mr. Flopnuts poll the planet overwhelming decided they would only be happy if Reid picked a QB with the first pick instead of letting Reid choose his own.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268521

This poll's intent is to see if the addition of Dorsey into the equation changes the outcome. I'm going to reduce the number of options only because most of them outside of a 1st round pick are a calculated decision by management.

Public poll forthcoming.

Rausch
01-14-2013, 08:15 PM
I think they will so it's an easy choice for me...

HonestChieffan
01-14-2013, 08:15 PM
100%. Its not like they will post a poll on CP for direction. Let the new boys dance. Whatever they do 40% of CP will be near suicidal before its over.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-14-2013, 08:19 PM
I'll trust them until if or when they screw it up.

I loved the Scott Pioli hire, as did pretty much a good percentage of all of us. We'll see...

Demonpenz
01-14-2013, 08:20 PM
They did draft hall of famer Donovan Mcnabb.

Mecca
01-14-2013, 08:21 PM
I trust they know it needs to be first, they both come from teams who are are/were winners because of their 1st round QB's.

splatbass
01-14-2013, 08:22 PM
I hope they pick one with the first pick, but if they don't I'm ok with it. They know what they are doing.

I'm sure CP will implode if they don't though. The drafturbators have declared that it has to be a QB with #1.

RealSNR
01-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Step 1: Determine the best QB in the draft
Step 2: Find out if there are any other teams who can possibly trade up ahead and steal him

Oh, there aren't? We have the first pick of the draft? Then it seems pretty easy to me.

Step 3: Draft him

I don't understand why this has to be so complicated. It doesn't. Fuck draft value. Fuck extra picks. Just get the best QB.

If you wait until the 2nd round, there's a 99% chance of the Chiefs not getting the best QB in the draft. So that can't happen.

I don't get this mindset. It isn't about trust. Just FUCKING DO IT.

mlyonsd
01-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Step 2: Find out if there are any other teams who can possibly trade up ahead and steal him

Oh, there aren't? We have the first pick of the draft? Then it seems pretty easy to me.

I don't understand why this has to be so complicated. It doesn't. **** draft value. **** extra picks. Just get the best QB.

If you wait until the 2nd round, there's a 99% chance of the Chiefs not getting the best QB in the draft. So that can't happen.

I don't get this mindset. It isn't about trust. Just ****ING DO IT.It is about trust if they choose a QB you don't agree with.

tk13
01-14-2013, 08:28 PM
I don't know if I trust them to pick the right one yet... but I'm pretty confident that if they don't pick a QB at #1, they truly don't like any of these guys. I really don't think they are going to pass on a guy just to prove they're a bunch of masterminds or to pigeonhole into a philosophy.

RealSNR
01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
It is about trust if they choose a QB you don't agree with.
If it's at #1 overall I don't have a problem with it. I'll be skeptical of their decision, but I'll just be so damn excited that the team finally took a QB.

splatbass
01-14-2013, 08:38 PM
If they get a franchise QB that takes us to a SB I couldn't care less what pick they took him at. Dorsey did pretty well with pick #24 in 2005. SF didn't do as well with pick #1 that same year.

Only time will tell. If they don't take a QB at #1 I'm certainly not going to decide on draft day that they failed because they took a QB later on.

mlyonsd
01-14-2013, 08:43 PM
If it's at #1 overall I don't have a problem with it. I'll be skeptical of their decision, but I'll just be so damn excited that the team finally took a QB.
Dorsey is an evaluation guy and I'm guessing after talking to Reid and Pederson he'll know which QB coming out will fit their offense better than they do.

If that means dipping down a couple rounds I'm good with that.

I'm just curious to find out how much CP has talked themselves into what should be done overrides what our new GM miracle boy thinks should be done.

Micjones
01-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Why would you wait a round or two to take a QB in a weak QB class?
Geno Smith is the best QB coming out bar none.
Dorsey understands the importance of the position. I think he'll draft Geno #1.

Mecca
01-14-2013, 08:52 PM
I'd like to know what QB is still going to be there after round 1 that is legit.

Every year the importance of that position becomes more and more magnified so more and more go in the 1st.

Nightfyre
01-14-2013, 08:59 PM
I have a sigbet with someone that four QBs will be taken in the first round.

DonkyPuncher
01-14-2013, 09:06 PM
It's not Crennel and Pioli picking him so that's a major plus

munkey
01-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Why would you wait a round or two to take a QB in a weak QB class?
Geno Smith is the best QB coming out bar none.
Dorsey understands the importance of the position. I think he'll draft Geno #1.

From what Reid and Dorsey have stated they WILL NOT draft out of need alone..They will take the best available athlete...I'll be good with whom ever they pick..

Austin Ed
01-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Dorsey knows what he is doing in player evalution Add Reid's experience in developing QBs. We are in good position. I hope they go both free agent QB plus a first round QB BUT I trust them to do what's right Compare them to Romeo and *****.

KCrockaholic
01-14-2013, 09:34 PM
The poll answers are lame.

Buckweath
01-14-2013, 09:38 PM
I can't believe I cheered for this team to lose only to get a Joeckel or whatever. I swear some of this fanbase is ready for more suffering, I can t believe one would even think about drafting anything else than a QB at #1. In some way, I do feel some of our fanbase deserve another Cassell for lessons not learnt.

Drafting a qb in the second round and have him become an elite qb is in great part luck plain and simple. DO people realize the Seahawks cared more about Irvin and Wagner than Wilson. Do people see that the 49ers if given the chance at the time would have drafted one of gabbertt, ponder or locker?

mcaj22
01-14-2013, 09:39 PM
i have a feeling they are definitely drafting a QB, it just will not be the popular choice (Geno Smith) the fans (this forum) wants.

Buckweath
01-14-2013, 09:41 PM
People are full of optimism regarding Dorsey but the truth is the guy could fail just as much as Pioli, especially if he starts by not drafting a QB at #1.

mcaj22
01-14-2013, 09:42 PM
I can't believe I cheered for this team to lose only to get a Joeckel or whatever. I swear some of this fanbase is ready for more suffering, I can t believe one would even think about drafting anything else than a QB at #1. In some way, I do feel some of our fanbase deserve another Cassell for lessons not learnt.

Drafting a qb in the second round and have him become an elite qb is in great part luck plain and simple. DO people realize the Seahawks cared more about Irvin and Wagner than Wilson. Do people see that the 49ers if given the chance at the time would have drafted one of gabbertt, ponder or locker?

I dont understand your point about the Seahawks. You do realize that all 32 teams had 2 or 3 players they cared about on their board before Russel Wilson right?

Scooter Pioli cared about Dontari Poe, Jeff Allen and Donald Stephson before Russel Wislon. In fact, I dont even think Russel Wilson was even on Scooter's draft board to even be CONSIDERED. At least he was a top ____ (insert number) on the Seahawks board, and was their BPA at the time of that pick. Our GM thought Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson was better. And he was getting paid 7-8 million dollars to make that type of evaluation.

Mecca
01-14-2013, 09:42 PM
I have a sigbet with someone that four QBs will be taken in the first round.

I think it's more than that actually.

mcaj22
01-14-2013, 09:44 PM
the difference is Dorsey and Reid have both drafted QBs in the first round before.

Scooter never has, and apparently had an ego where he refused to, and the Tom Brady complex trying to make him smarter than he actually is where he can find gold at the QB position in later rounds.

DaFace
01-14-2013, 09:44 PM
I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't take a QB somewhere in the first 34 picks, but I'm not going to freak out if we don't take that QB at #1. If they think they can get a guy without using the #1 pick, I'm not going to throw a fit.

DaWolf
01-14-2013, 09:45 PM
I'll trust them to pick the best QB that fits what we want to do on offense. I don't know if that is going to happen at 1 overall. If they can't trade down a few spots, I doubt it. But I wouldn't be shocked to see them try to trade up back into the first if someone they love is still sitting there late in the round.

I saw this tweet from Adam Caplan regarding the Eagles yesterday and was encouraged by the further proof that talent at the QB spot can be spotted by Reid:

They tried to move up to get him. Foles is on his way. RT @itsakram: @caplannfl Eagles should have drafted Russell Wilson.

As with anything though, time will tell. I think BPA is a good model to follow for the long term. While it may not net you a QB this year with the first overall pick, it also prevents you in future years from passing on a good QB just because you have someone OK already in the spot. But I wouldn't be shocked to see us having to be patient for a year or so to see if it pays off. It is ironic that this is the year that maybe winning a few more games would have put us in a "better" position to draft a QB in round 1...

CaliforniaChief
I have no doubt that Dorsey/Reid understand the value of the QB position.

The stats regarding 1st round picks vs. the field speak for themselves.

I'm pretty sure we're going QB at #1.

Buckweath
Lol at people who think Dorsey is a genius for drafting Rodgers. The guy fell into his lap and was probably an obvious pick at the time. Do people also think that guy that waited till the 6th round to draft Brady at the time is a genius too?

mcaj22
01-14-2013, 09:48 PM
yes he was a genius for drafting Rodgers.

fell into his lap? he had a ****ing HALL OF FAME QB ON HIS ROSTER with still plenty in the tank. It takes a lot of ****ing balls to draft a QB like that knowing damn well the ego your star QB has and what kind of shakeup that would cause. And we all saw how it turned it. But it was because of the balls to draft a QB in the first round, even when it wasnt a POSITIONAL NEED they still saw BPA and grabbed it. That's the point here, BPA regardless of who is on the roster, because they evaluated the talent as BPA at that given pick and it is too good to pass up

L.A. Chieffan
01-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Can't trust them. Maybe after one or two drafts under their belt.

a pp roach
01-14-2013, 09:50 PM
i don't even trust myself to not wet the bed at night

Buckweath
I dont understand your point about the Seahawks. You do realize that all 32 teams had 2 or 3 players they cared about on their board before Russel Wilson right?

Scooter ***** cared about Dontari Poe, Jeff Allen and Donald Stephson before Russel Wislon. In fact, I dont even think Russel Wilson was even on Scooter's draft board to even be CONSIDERED. At least he was a top ____ (insert number) on the Seahawks board, and was their BPA at the time of that pick. Our GM thought Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson was better. And he was getting paid 7-8 million dollars to make that type of evaluation.

My point is that the Seahawks were in great part lucky to draft Wilson and have him become very good, if it ever happens at all. I would think of them as geniuses if they had "reached" and took him with their first round pick.

tk13
Don't forget at the time Rodgers was picked... the thought was Jeff Tedford QBs were generally overrated. Much like we think of USC QBs today.

RunKC
01-14-2013, 10:01 PM

I don't understand why this has to be so complicated. It doesn't. **** draft value. **** extra picks. Just get the best QB.

I don't get this mindset. It isn't about trust. Just ****ING DO IT.

And if Reid feels that a QB that has a 2nd or 3rd round grade is the best QB in the draft?

RealSNR
01-14-2013, 10:05 PM
And if Reid feels that a QB that has a 2nd or 3rd round grade is the best QB in the draft?
I have a better question:

What if Andy Reid lets out a poop so big in the Arrowhead employee toilet that he clogs up the works on draft day and nobody can use the shitter for all of draft weekend?

RunKC
01-14-2013, 10:10 PM
I have a better question:

What if Andy Reid lets out a poop so big in the Arrowhead employee toilet that he clogs up the works on draft day and nobody can use the shitter for all of draft weekend?

No QB in the top 6 of this class is significantly better than the other.

mcaj22
01-14-2013, 10:17 PM
My point is that the Seahawks were in great part lucky to draft Wilson and have him become very good, if it ever happens at all. I would think of them as geniuses if they had "reached" and took him with their first round pick.

they reached and took Bruce Irvin who most had as a 4th or 5th round pick, in the first round.... who has had more production than Jon Baldwin, Tyson Jackson and Dontari Poe combined for us. That alone makes them look like geniouses

RealSNR
01-14-2013, 10:23 PM
No QB in the top 6 of this class is significantly better than the other.
1) That's false
2) If it were true, not a single fuck would be given that day

Take the best one. If Andy Reid is a QB genius, he'll find that guy

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2013, 10:25 PM
I don't know if I trust them to pick the right one yet... but I'm pretty confident that if they don't pick a QB at #1, they truly don't like any of these guys. I really don't think they are going to pass on a guy just to prove they're a bunch of masterminds or to pigeonhole into a philosophy.

Yeah, but what talent evaluator in the NFL would be stupid or arrogant enough to d---oh, wait.

ChiefPassesALot
01-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Don't discount how much pull Reid is going to have here. Reid wanted a GM that "his guy".

ChiefSuspect
01-14-2013, 11:42 PM

They're not lucky if they took the right player, froggy.

BradBigglestein
01-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Here is a little info nugget Chiefs fans may not know. Andy Reid loved Russell Wilson and tried to trade up and draft him last year. He couldn't do it, and ended up taking Foles.

Psyko Tek
01-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Lol at people who think Dorsey is a genius for drafting Rodgers. The guy fell into his lap and was probably an obvious pick at the time. Do people also think that guy that waited till the 6th round to draft Brady at the time is a genius too?

is rodgers little brother coming out this year?

Chris Meck
01-14-2013, 11:50 PM
I think it's clear that no QB on the roster could possibly run Reid's offense. None are particularly accurate, none can read a defense, etc. I think they're gone. Maybe you take Stanzi to camp. Tanney's trick shot video would at least indicate that he could maybe possibly be accurate. As ridiculous as that is, he might have the best shot of the bunch. That's messed up.

Alex Smith could, maybe, in an unspectacular way. In a workmanlike, lunchpail, golly-gee kind of way. I don't know that any other FA QB really fits other than Kolb. I don't see them giving up anything for Flynn.

I just gotta think it's gonna be Geno. I know people keep saying the QB's aren't worth the high pick, but I think it's horseshit. Jacksonville's gonna take one, Oakland's probably gonna take one, Bills are...I bet 3 go in the top 8. Hope one of them is us.

Best case scenario honestly is Alex Smith AND Geno Smith. Pull a 2012 Seahawks plan.

Buckweath
01-14-2013, 11:51 PM
They're not lucky if they took the right player, froggy.

Is froggy an insult in the US?

splatbass
01-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Is froggy an insult in the US?

No, "Buckweath" is.

Bump
01-15-2013, 01:03 AM
QB or DIE with the #1

splatbass
01-15-2013, 01:25 AM
QB or DIE with the #1

Some of you are likely to be very disappointed in April.

Sorter
01-15-2013, 01:28 AM
they reached and took Bruce Irvin who most had as a 4th or 5th round pick, in the first round.... who has had more production than Jon Baldwin, Tyson Jackson and Dontari Poe combined for us. That alone makes them look like geniouses

IIRC, by draft day most pegged Bruce as a 2nd round pick or a late first.

Sorter
01-15-2013, 01:29 AM
the difference is Dorsey and Reid have both drafted QBs in the first round before.

Scooter never has, and apparently had an ego where he refused to, and the Tom Brady complex trying to make him smarter than he actually is where he can find gold at the QB position in later rounds.

I'm thinking Geno, Wilson, Nassib, Barkley, and Glennon all go in the first round.

01-15-2013, 01:31 AM

Yep, and I will be one of them.

WildTurkey
01-15-2013, 01:38 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/15/rezyzyjy.jpg

Hammock Parties
01-15-2013, 01:43 AM
FALLACIOUS APPEAL TO AUTHORITY

TRUE FAN SPOTTED

mcaj22
01-15-2013, 01:46 AM

that's because word got out teams like Seattle had the inside track on him and it caught like wildfire

except it didnt reach the idiots in the media

this usually happens every year with certain players, than you have Kiper and McShay looking like even bigger idiots than they usually are on draft day.

Sorter
01-15-2013, 01:48 AM
that's because word got out teams like Seattle had the inside track on him and it caught like wildfire

except it didnt reach the idiots in the media

this usually happens every year with certain players, than you have Kiper and McShay looking like even bigger idiots than they usually are on draft day.

True.

IIRC, I had Irvin as my 5th round pick, and then moved him up to a high 2nd round grade.

Despite his issues and small weight, I really liked that guy. Would have been awesome to have as a situational pass rusher.

mcaj22
01-15-2013, 01:51 AM
True.

IIRC, I had Irvin as my 5th round pick, and then moved him up to a high 2nd round grade.

Despite his issues and small weight, I really liked that guy. Would have been awesome to have as a situational pass rusher.

Problem is we had a GM that would never in a million years put guys like him or Russel Wilson on his big board and passed right over them because of his Ego and philosophy.

we missed out on a lot of good players in 4 years because of that and now Reid and Dorsey have to draft a bunch of o-line and d-line and start over. Which essentially is what they are going to do, because they love drafting that crap, and I am sick of it thanks to Scooter doing it for 4 years, and doing it so badly.

Sorter
01-15-2013, 01:54 AM
Problem is we had a GM that would never in a million years put guys like him or Russel Wilson on his big board and passed right over them because of his Ego and philosophy.

we missed out on a lot of good players in 4 years because of that and now Reid and Dorsey have to draft a bunch of o-line and d-line and start over. Which essentially is what they are going to do, because they love drafting that crap, and I am sick of it thanks to Scooter doing it for 4 years, and doing it so badly.

Whenever Scooter gets a new job, part of me wants to send in his drafts via email with a note saying "Are you fucking kidding me???".

mcaj22
01-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Whenever Scooter gets a new job, part of me wants to send in his drafts via email with a note saying "Are you ****ing kidding me???".

i for some scary reason expect half of *****'s picks to be turned over in year 1 that quickly. These guys are serious evaluators and Andy Reid gives zero ****s about cutting a player at any given time that he's not attached to. Their evaluation of *****'s players will be interesting, and all the competition will be Reids/Dorsey's new drafted talent versus *****'s picks and there wont be any more free gifts at positions for *****'s players to be forced into gameday line ups.

That I look forward to.

So that steamy turd Jon Baldwin better figure out how to stay up straight and beat the press and that scrub nugget Jalil Brown better learn how to turn his hips and not face guard or these bums are ****ed.

oh and Allen Bailey do a d-line move, or something. Tyson Jackson move a guy off the line. Jeff Allen, not suck shit. Learn quick.

Sorter
01-15-2013, 02:01 AM
i for some scary reason expect half of *****'s picks to be turned over in year 1 that quickly. These guys are serious evaluators and Andy Reid gives zero ****s about cutting a player at any given time that he's not attached to. Their evaluation of *****'s players will be interesting, and all the competition will be Reids/Dorsey's new drafted talent versus *****'s picks and there wont be any more free gifts at positions for *****'s players to be forced into gameday line ups.

That I look forward to.

So that steamy turd Jon Baldwin better figure out how to stay up straight and beat the press and that scrub nugget Jalil Brown better learn how to turn his hips and not face guard or these bums are ****ed.

oh and Allen Bailey do a d-line move, or something. Tyson Jackson move a guy off the line. Jeff Allen, not suck shit. Learn quick.

Yup. i look forward to the bleach that awaits our roster.

DaneMcCloud
01-15-2013, 02:43 AM
Yup. i look forward to the bleach that awaits our roster.

Although cutting Baldwin, Bailey and especially Allen would be utterly fucking ridiculous, not to mention Pioli-like, before the end of training camp.

keg in kc
01-15-2013, 03:00 AM
None of us really have any choice but to trust them, do we.

Sure sucks being powerless, don't it.

Sorter
01-15-2013, 03:55 AM
Although cutting Baldwin, Bailey and especially Allen would be utterly ****ing ridiculous, not to mention *****-like, before the end of training camp.

Agree completely. I expect all 3 to remain on the roster this year. Anticipating the purge of others.

EagleRob
01-15-2013, 04:34 AM
The not-so hidden message is if they don't think a QB is the best player available they will either trade down and add picks to pick more best players available or take the actual best player available then try to move into position to get the QB they want later. I've said this since the day Reid was hired and nothing I've seen since indicates otherwise.

EagleRob
01-15-2013, 05:02 AM
Here's a realistic scenario we've all seen over and over about how they shouldn't just reach to "take Geno at #1". Lets say after three months of staff building, roster needs evaluations, college talent evaluations, free agent signings, and intelligence gathering on other teams they still need a QB and think Geno (or whatever QB they think fits best) will be available at 7th overall after other teams fight it out for the stud OTs and DTs ranked higher than the QBs. According to the attached chart they could flip the #1 overall (3000 points) for say the #7 overall (1500), that team's 2nd round pick (510), and that team's first-rounder from the 2014 draft (median 1000 points). Disclaimer: I don't know who's at seven and what their needs are - this is just an example. They could find some other trade partner to do something similar.

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

EagleRob
01-15-2013, 05:08 AM
Last time I brought this up someone said the Chiefs shouldn't be "cute" and should just take Geno at #1. Fine but that's playing the game scared and sacrificing value in the draft. In order to pull this off they need to have Plan B in place, be that another QB projected for that slot that fits or be willing to keep shopping. I think a building team needs as many high picks as they can get. Look at what the Rams took from Washington for a player who's career is already in jeopardy. STL has the Redskins first round picks this coming year and next year while RG3 might not take another snap until those picks are both off the board.

Jerm
01-15-2013, 05:13 AM
I think they go QB at #1 because quite honestly there is no other option....

No one is trading up for that pick and there isn't a player of need that's there to pick above QB.

You aren't taking Jones or Star after taking Poe high last year...Moore? Get the hell outta here.

The only guy they could even contemplate is Joeckel and there is no way they can sell him to the fanbase over a franchise QB, which is exactly what Geno Smith is IMO.

Gravedigger
01-15-2013, 05:44 AM
Nobody trades out if the one spot anymore. Well pick someone there.

CoMoChief
01-15-2013, 06:23 AM
GENO SMITH
GENO SMITH
GENO SMITH
GENO SMITH!!!!!!!

/cp

ChiefMojo
01-15-2013, 06:28 AM
I'm in the boat if you deem someone to be a franchise QB in this draft, you take him with the #1 pick! I don't care if he is graded out to be more of a mid-first rounder... take the best QB in the draft and roll with it!

scho63
01-15-2013, 07:40 AM
This is simple:

THEY KNOW 100X MORE ABOUT EVALUATING AND SELECTING TALENT THAN ANY SINGLE POSTER ON THIS BOARD!

:hail:

Case closed.

ArrowheadMagic
01-15-2013, 07:49 AM
With 2 people coming from franchises that understand the value of a top QB, I find it hard to believe they wont turn over every rock to upgrade that position. Its not like they are going to show their draft plans before the evaluation process even begins. Evaluate roster, then evaluate prospects.

scho63
01-15-2013, 07:53 AM
With 2 people coming from franchises that understand the value of a top QB, I find it hard to believe they wont turn over every rock to upgrade that position. Its not like they are going to show their draft plans before the evaluation process even begins. Evaluate roster, then evaluate prospects.

Agree

Kendall Gammon yesterday said "Turn over every sperm" in a slip of the tongue during the presser at the 3:15 mark ROFL

munkey
01-15-2013, 08:20 AM
I think they go QB at #1 because quite honestly there is no other option....

No one is trading up for that pick and there isn't a player of need that's there to pick above QB.

You aren't taking Jones or Star after taking Poe high last year...Moore? Get the hell outta here.

The only guy they could even contemplate is Joeckel and there is no way they can sell him to the fanbase over a franchise QB, which is exactly what Geno Smith is IMO.

Geno hasn't played a single down in the NFL and yet he's crowned a franchise QB? Whatever you Genobators are smoking I want some!!!! If Dorsey and Reid follow their strategy of which they've clearly stated is the best available athlete they won't be taking Geno @ #1.

AND last years 1st round pick was Pioli's ultimate down fall...and since he's not picking this year I'm not worried what's so ever.

Easy 6
01-15-2013, 08:58 AM
As lame as it sounds, i'm going to completely trust that these two highly seasoned and proven guys are going to make the best possible choice for this team, you can BET they know how important it is to get it right.

They're going to have to BLATANTLY **** it all up to cause me to doubt them.

splatbass
01-15-2013, 09:00 AM

They don't have to sell it to the fanbase. No team makes decisions based on what the fanbase wants. As much as CP wants to make the pick, we don't get a vote.

Groves
01-15-2013, 09:45 AM
The more jazzed I get about our HC/GM/Owner combo, the more I realize how much a bad GM can flush a team down the toilet.

It also creates this uncomfortable, growing sympathy for Dallas fans.

hometeam
01-15-2013, 11:23 AM
I want geno at #1. If that doesnt happen, I want him at the spot we traded down to (#3?) and I don't trust any other QB in this draft save for Wilson, and even then I dont think standing in the pocket and taking hits does a great QB make.

None of these poll options appease me~

Mr. Flopnuts
01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Ok we've hashed this out before but after listening to Dorsey today I'm not so sure we'll be using the 1st pick for a QB.

In a previous Mr. Flopnuts poll the planet overwhelming decided they would only be happy if Reid picked a QB with the first pick instead of letting Reid choose his own.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268521

This poll's intent is to see if the addition of Dorsey into the equation changes the outcome. I'm going to reduce the number of options only because most of them outside of a 1st round pick are a calculated decision by management.

Public poll forthcoming.

I've changed my vote. I don't give a fuck what they do. Literally. They have established success in the league, and they're home run hires for the Chiefs. Whatever they do, I will support.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-15-2013, 12:49 PM

I don't understand why this has to be so complicated. It doesn't. Fuck draft value. Fuck extra picks. Just get the best QB.

I don't get this mindset. It isn't about trust. Just FUCKING DO IT.

See, I think they will. But if they don't, I trust they'll get the right guy somewhere and get it worked out. That's really what it comes down to for me. I want the biggest chocolatiest penis in the AFC West, but ultimately if they don't think he's the guy, I'll accept it. The only thing they could do that would piss me off is taking the LT out of A&M.

Not even gonna try and spell his stupid ass name. If they do that, then we're off to a really bad start. We have a young guy that is firmly entrenched in the position. We have 0 need. So I just can't even see them doing that. They're gonna take a QB. I'm positive.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-15-2013, 12:50 PM

And there it is. Their MO is take a damn 1st round QB. Both of them have done with and achieved their greatest success. If they don't take one, they don't like them, and I trust their judgment. They've proven themselves.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-15-2013, 12:56 PM

You're right. He was skyrocketing up draft boards, and was a late 1st round projection.

1ChiefsDan
01-15-2013, 12:59 PM
NFL Scout ‏@insider_nfc
#Chiefs fans need to be patient with Reid, I'm guessing Cassel is the starter next season. He's got the skill set to run Reid's offense
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

How many of us will march on 1 Arrowhead drive if this happens? :#

siberian khatru
01-15-2013, 01:08 PM
NFL Scout ‏@insider_nfc
#Chiefs fans need to be patient with Reid, I'm guessing Cassel is the starter next season. He's got the skill set to run Reid's offense

Boy, you talk about cojones if they tried that. They would have to be 1000% sure about it -- not a micron of doubt. That he would come right out of the gate playing at a high level and maintain it.

Because the first misstep he makes, he's gonna be crucified -- as will the brain trust.

You talk about *****'s ego ... what does it say about Reid/Dorsey if they come in, knowing all the baggage Cassel carries, and say: "You're damn right we're gonna fix him."

The only other scenario is that they're basically saying, "Well, we can't really fix Cassel, but there's no one else out there we can get who's better, so you will have to put up with him one more year while we search for his replacement in 2014." That'a a helluva way to build excitement.

Just seems like the worst possible option.

mlyonsd
01-15-2013, 01:09 PM
NFL Scout ‏@insider_nfc

Uh, no. Ain't happening. After what happened last year this won't fly with Clark. He isn't that stupid. Anything this guy tweets from now on is suspect.

FloridaMan88
01-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Reid/Dorsey have proven track records drafting and developing franchise QB's.

If there is anyone in the league whose judgement should be trusted with drafting QB's it is these two guys.

htismaqe
01-15-2013, 01:17 PM
NFL Scout ‏@insider_nfc

ROFL

ILChief
01-15-2013, 01:18 PM
NFL Scout ‏@insider_nfc

Good way to piss all over all the good will they built up

Fat Elvis
01-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Here's a realistic scenario we've all seen over and over about how they shouldn't just reach to "take Geno at #1". Lets say after three months of staff building, roster needs evaluations, college talent evaluations, free agent signings, and intelligence gathering on other teams they still need a QB and think Geno (or whatever QB they think fits best) will be available at 7th overall after other teams fight it out for the stud OTs and DTs ranked higher than the QBs. According to the attached chart they could flip the #1 overall (3000 points) for say the #7 overall (1500), that team's 2nd round pick (510), and that team's first-rounder from the 2014 draft (median 1000 points). Disclaimer: I don't know who's at seven and what their needs are - this is just an example. They could find some other trade partner to do something similar.

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

I think this may very well happen. There is only one team in the NFL with worse QBs than the Chiefs, and that is the Cardinals--who hold the #7 pick.

If that happened, I could see KC selecting DeMarcus Milliner CB with the first pick. Use their first pick in the second round on a QB and then draft a safety like TJ McDonald with their second pick in round 2. Reid loves him some DBs, and this scenario would fill a lot of immediate holes on the team--especially if the brain trust doesn't see a lot of separation between the top few QBs in this draft.

This would also set up the Chiefs for the next season really well with two first round picks and mesh well with that whole "marathon, not a sprint" philosophy Dorsey has been talking about.

The Franchise
01-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Scott Wright from NFLdraftcountdown.com on Twitter. Mini Chiefs rant.

I don't understand the thought-process of KC fans who want take Joeckel at #1 and let Branden Albert walk as a free agent. How big of an upgrade would Joeckel be over Albert? Not much short-term and the o-line is the least of KC's problems. And it REALLY doesn't make sense to re-sign Albert to a huge young left tackle contract and move him inside to guard. Also, moving Albert inside to guard would displace Jeff Allen or Jon Asamoah, who were both recent Top 100 picks. Not an ideal situation for KC but they are going nowhere without a quarterback and they have their pick of the litter. There is no sure-thing like Luck or RG3 so Kansas City needs to decide on the QB they like most and pull the trigger. Finally, for KC fans who want to wait until early Round 2 for a QB keep in mind that is where Andy Reid took Kevin Kolb.

whoman69
01-15-2013, 01:45 PM
If Reid/Dorsey go down the same route every HC/GM combo has done in KC in the last 30 years they deserve to go down. I withdraw my support for the team in that instance. Getting Alex Smith or his ilk is the same mistake over and over.

splatbass
01-15-2013, 07:10 PM
NFL Scout ‏@insider_nfc

If he has the skill set where has he been hiding it?

BlackHelicopters
01-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Is this the thread where I complain about my life?

splatbass
01-15-2013, 07:15 PM
If Reid/Dorsey go down the same route every HC/GM combo has done in KC in the last 30 years they deserve to go down. I withdraw my support for the team in that instance. Getting Alex Smith or his ilk is the same mistake over and over.

Only if it doesn't work. If they get a QB from somewhere else and he takes us to the SB who the fuck cares how they got him?

Green Bay did pretty well with a retread from Atlanta named Favre.

Deberg_1990
01-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Only if it doesn't work. If they get a QB from somewhere else and he takes us to the SB who the **** cares how they got him?

Green Bay did pretty well with a retread from Atlanta named Favre.

heh, thats not even a good comparison. Favre had only thrown like 4 passes before he got traded. Alex Smith is a finished product thats been around forever now.

But yea, your right....I dont care where the QB comes from, as long as hes THE RIGHT QB.

Rasputin
01-15-2013, 07:28 PM
I trust Dorsey to pick the BAP that will make the biggest impact for this franchise, that BAP being Geno Smith.

mlyonsd
02-27-2013, 08:48 PM
I wonder how this poll would look today if redone.

morphius
02-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Lol, nice bump.

prhom
02-27-2013, 08:55 PM
I stand by my vote. I don't know why Clark felt he needed to fire Pioli, it seems like we are on about the same path that he would have taken this offseason.

Psyko Tek
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
i DEFEND MY UNEDUCATED DECISION
still losing that first second, is gonna bite us in the ass
do not like that part

RyFo18
02-27-2013, 09:20 PM

Ummm Irvin was pegged as like a early-mid 2nd rounder. By most. He fits their scheme as a pass rusher but he's not a 3-down player yet.

MahiMike
02-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Invalid poll.

Rausch
02-27-2013, 09:33 PM
I don't know why Clark felt he needed to fire *****, it seems like we are on about the same path that he would have taken this offseason.

Yup...

Simply Red
03-18-2014, 10:03 PM
I have a question - how much do you all trust Dorsey period?

Mr_Tomahawk
03-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Tyler Bray

RustShack
03-18-2014, 10:07 PM

A lot.

Simply Red
03-18-2014, 10:11 PM
A lot.

I'm undecided here, my plan is to re-evaluate a little later on. I hope something is looming.

splatbass
03-18-2014, 10:46 PM

Still in "benefit of the doubt" phase. He did good last year, but it is too early to tell this year (by a long way - free agency just started, the draft isn't until next month). Way too early to judge him as a success or failure overall. I know a lot of people here don't understand that concept, but cooler minds can see it..

jd1020
03-19-2014, 05:49 AM

None, yet. He hasn't done anything to earn trust. 1st round playoff loss? Haven't seen that before...

htismaqe
03-19-2014, 05:52 AM
I would be a lot more comfortable if he had shown some consistency in the approach. Obviously did a good job with smith but if they're going to surround him with role players, they're not going to succeed long-term.

htismaqe
03-19-2014, 05:53 AM
i DEFEND MY UNEDUCATED DECISION
still losing that first second, is gonna bite us in the ass
do not like that part

Losing the second 2nd is biting us now.

HemiEd
03-19-2014, 06:45 AM
The more things change, the more they remain the same.

TEX
03-19-2014, 06:48 AM
I would be a lot more comfortable if he had shown some consistency in the approach. Obviously did a good job with smith but if they're going to surround him with role players, they're not going to succeed long-term.

Exactly. Smith needs play makers.

Jimmya
03-19-2014, 07:16 AM
Not to much trust here.

duncan_idaho
03-19-2014, 07:42 AM
I'll trust them to pick a franchise QB when I see them try to do so. Until then, no trust of any Chiefs front office in this matter.

BlackHelicopters
03-19-2014, 07:50 AM
I'll trust them to pick a franchise QB when I see them try to do so. Until then, no trust of any Chiefs front office in this matter.

Define "franchise" quarterback.

duncan_idaho
03-19-2014, 07:53 AM

Someone who has the potential to be a 10 year starter, and top 10 NFL QB. Basic parameters I think of.

BlackHelicopters
03-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Someone who has the potential to be a 10 year starter, and top 10 NFL QB. Basic parameters I think of.

Is Phillip Rivers a "franchise"quarterback?

kcchiefsus
03-19-2014, 07:58 AM

A quarterback we draft that makes sure our window is never closed as long as they are our starting QB. Guys like Manning, Brees, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Flacco, etc. all have their franchises in contention most years regardless of the makeup of the rest of the roster.

The reason we never go more than a single season with making the postseason and having a winning record is that we don't have that QB. I suppose Alex Smith could be a borderline franchise QB but the problem is at his age our window will still be small.

So then the question is, will we trust the current leadership to find his replacement and to know when to find it? Would Dorsey have the balls again to use a 1st on a QB even with an entrenched starter in place?

duncan_idaho
03-19-2014, 07:59 AM

Yes. Borderline, but yes. He's somewhere between the 8th-10th best QB in the NFL, IMO. Though he played like a top 5 guy this year, his recent down seasons knock him down a few pegs.

And yes, I think he's a better quarterback than Alex Smith and would swap them in a heartbeat.

kcchiefsus
03-19-2014, 07:59 AM

Most definitely. I hate the guy, but he's an elite franchise QB.