PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dorsey: "Remember, it's not a sprint, it' s a marathon"

Buckweath
01-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Dorsey's message to the fans: "I am going to do everything within my God-given ability that we have as competitive as a team in the NFL as anyone in the NFL. I want to remind them. Please be patient. This is not a sprint. It is a marathon."

Us fans after all those years of futility, of mediocrity, of becoming the new Browns, we should be patient???

I won' t lie, I hope that Chiefs team can at least have an 8-8 record next year and that's me having low expectations.

Are you willing to wait a few years in order to become competitive because of all the changes ??

the Talking Can
01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
um

*edit

i thought he had the metaphor reversed...missed the 'not'....doh

lewdog
01-14-2013, 10:10 PM
If he throws out the word "rebuilding", I will suggest antifreeze.

WV
01-14-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm not going on record with a W/L prediction, but even a solid QB will cure a lot of ills this team has.

Geno Smith is the Flu shot this team needs.

tk13
01-14-2013, 10:14 PM
This is the only thing I think parts of this board have been off with over the last week. Dorsey isn't going to give two you know whats about how much this fanbase has suffered, how many draft picks we've wasted on what positions, or any of that. Nor should he. This franchise needed an enema and to start from scratch... hamstringing yourself because ***** may have done this or that and caused the fanbase to lose their minds is crazy.

KC_Lee
01-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Year #1; 8 - 8, lots of close games and if we catch a few breaks we push for a wild card spot
Year #2; 11 - 5, division winner (hosting a wild card team), one playoff win but lose in the divisonal round
Year #3; 13 - 3, Super Bowl

Profit.

Rain Man
01-14-2013, 10:18 PM
There are Kenyans who run really, really fast marathons. Just saying.

TribalElder
01-14-2013, 10:21 PM
Year #1; 8 - 8, lots of close games and if we catch a few breaks we push for a wild card spot
Year #2; 11 - 5, division winner (hosting a wild card team), one playoff win but lose in the divisonal round
Year #3; 13 - 3, Super Bowl

Profit.

12-4 or 14-2

13-3 seems to be bad juju

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-14-2013, 10:23 PM
This is the only thing I think parts of this board have been off with over the last week. Dorsey isn't going to give two you know whats about how much this fanbase has suffered, how many draft picks we've wasted on what positions, or any of that. Nor should he. This franchise needed an enema and to start from scratch... hamstringing yourself because ***** may have done this or that and caused the fanbase to lose their minds is crazy.

That's why Pioli's tenure was so disastrous. It's not that he built a team with the worst record in the NFL, he also wasted the primes of quality players. He didn't just screw up his own drafts, he ruined the best draft in franchise history as well.

BossChief
01-14-2013, 10:25 PM
I'd like to hear Dorsey and Reids responses if they were directly asked about a comparison between Geno Smith and Donovan McNabb.

Bugeater
01-14-2013, 10:27 PM
And the excuses begin already.

DaWolf
01-14-2013, 10:31 PM
He's got four years to win a playoff game...

wazu
01-14-2013, 10:32 PM
I'll be patient...as long as we are developing a QB that we picked #1. Oh, and it's worth mentioning that he actually did say "rebuilding". I didn't mind that, though. No point living in a state of denial. This is a 2-14 team.

L.A. Chieffan
01-14-2013, 10:34 PM
The excuses have already started...

New World Order
01-14-2013, 10:55 PM
If we properly address the needs for this team such as QB, CB, RB to compliment JC and some depth then there is no reason why we should be below 8-8, especially with SD and Oak being so bad. We should see a weaker schedule as well.

rico
01-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Remember ya'll, it's a process....not miraculous instant gratification. :)

Deberg_1990
01-14-2013, 11:02 PM
The excuses have already started...

Better to lower expectations and rise above them than to start with unrealistic expectations and not even come close to meeting them.

Ace Gunner
01-14-2013, 11:08 PM
when that starting shot is fired, Geno Smith better be coming out the blocks for this team gentlemen, or you won't see the end of this race.

DumbHillbillies
01-14-2013, 11:09 PM
There are Kenyans who run really, really fast marathons. Just saying.

Hilarious and true

teedubya
01-14-2013, 11:11 PM
We'd better matriculate the fucking ball into a playoff win by year 2, dammit!! :-D

listopencil
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM
It's a process.

01-15-2013, 01:37 AM
mediocre in 2013 but we better be talking playoffs after that.

Hammock Parties
01-15-2013, 01:40 AM
Settle in because Clark is not firing these guys after four years.

ROYC75
01-15-2013, 02:45 AM
40 + years and he wants to use the the term marathon ? This marathon continues, damn, we need a sprinter just to have a change of pace. It's time to finish this last leg of the race!

prhom
01-15-2013, 06:13 AM
I'll be patient...as long as we are developing a QB that we picked #1. Oh, and it's worth mentioning that he actually did say "rebuilding". I didn't mind that, though. No point living in a state of denial. This is a 2-14 team.

I'm with you on this. I have lots of patience left for this team as long as we start this race with our own quality qb. Sign a veteran guy and keep him in the bench as an insurance policy against a complete bust at the position. Have no problem with that. If we pick up a FA qb and don't draft a qb this year or next then I have to seriously question his GM chops. I don't even care if Smith or Wilson turns out to be only mediocre, we can always keep looking for that franchise guy.

Just don't try to tell us that no one was worth drafting because that has gotten really old.

BryanBusby
01-15-2013, 06:18 AM
40 + years and he wants to use the the term marathon ? This marathon continues, damn, we need a sprinter just to have a change of pace. It's time to finish this last leg of the race!
That's what happens when the previous people in charge left total dog shit at QB.

ChiefMojo
01-15-2013, 06:19 AM
Oh I don't think we have anything to worry about when it comes to drafting a QB this year. The only worry is if it is the #1 pick or not? Trust me, we will take a QB in this draft. One thing the Green Packers have done a lot through the years is take a QB in the draft, namely in the mid to later rounds.... some years one early and then another late.

BryanBusby
01-15-2013, 06:24 AM
It's a given that the Chiefs will be drafting at least one QB in April, but it remains to be seen if Andy Reid will start a rookie at QB if he could avoid it.

CoMoChief
01-15-2013, 06:30 AM
We need a QB....we will be a at most 6 win team if this isn't addressed immediately.

Get a good QB and we could possibly be 9-10 win team..but will prob just miss the playoffs.

I fully expect to be a 11-12 win team in 2014. With as many good players on this team, it would be a fail not to. Shit we had 5 Probowlers on a 2-14 team...that's unthinkable really. Then you have Albert, Bowe, Flowers, Houston, Winston...that's about half of your starting unit that is either Probowl, have been Probowl, or borderline Probowl status.

No reason at all with a good coaching staff and w/ a QB that's not a total shit head, that this team can't be a 12 win team by 2014.

Lex Luthor
01-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Reid and Dorsey haven't been running the Chiefs for 40 years.

bevischief
01-15-2013, 08:05 AM

Rasputin
01-15-2013, 08:15 AM
I am glad he said he looks for "football players" for the type of football players he looks for the team. Better than circus monkey. Altho a circus monkey could do better than the last GM.

CosmicPal
01-15-2013, 08:20 AM
I fully expect to be a 11-12 win team in 2014. With as many good players on this team, it would be a fail not to. Shit we had 5 Probowlers on a 2-14 team...that's unthinkable really. Then you have Albert, Bowe, Flowers, Houston, Winston...that's about half of your starting unit that is either Probowl, have been Probowl, or borderline Probowl status.

No reason at all with a good coaching staff and w/ a QB that's not a total shit head, that this team can't be a 12 win team by 2014.

This.

buddha
01-15-2013, 08:53 AM
God, some of you are so f'ing dumb and f'ing damaged! All of the, "40 years of suffering" people...can you just end it now so we're all put out of your pathetic misery? Do you think the new leadership plans to work slowly...? What exactly DO you think? I think it takes time to build a winner...unless you happen to sign Manning or somebody like that. That doesn't look likely next season. A couple of years of smart drafts will make a huge difference around here. Let's hope the new guys draft good players instead of projects with "lots of upside..."

In the meantime, quit bitching and acting like a battered spouse.

ChiTown
01-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Fuck that. Win Now. This is the NFL, and it CAN be done.

buddha
01-15-2013, 09:00 AM
**** that. Win Now. This is the NFL, and it CAN be done.

Yeah baby...from two wins to the Super Bowl! It CAN'T happen...not in the adult world.

In 2-3 years...? It COULD happen, if KC starts doing things right.

Magical thinking leads to big disappointment.

ChiTown
01-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah baby...from two wins to the Super Bowl! It CAN'T happen...not in the adult world.

In 2-3 years...? It COULD happen, if KC starts doing things right.

Magical thinking leads to big disappointment.

Pfft

As a Chiefs fan, I've already seen plenty of disappointment. There's nowhere to go but up from here. Just win!

Molitoth
01-15-2013, 09:03 AM
I honestly don't care what our record is next year.

The only thing I care about is that we identify our QBOTF (Geno Smith) and he performs well enough to know we have something elite in the making.
In year 2 is where the win column will be evaluated.

Easy 6
01-15-2013, 09:07 AM
LMAO he could hold a press conference for the sole purpose of telling the yahoos over at Chiefsplanet to get ****ed, for all i care.

Based on track record, he has my complete support to do and say what he see's fit.

Mr. Laz
01-15-2013, 09:11 AM
5-year plan!!!!

ChiTown
01-15-2013, 09:18 AM
5-year plan!!!!

Just condense that fucker into about 7 months, and we are good to go.:D

FringeNC
01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Suppose we take the highest rated player on the Green Bay board, regardless of position -- question is, all the SHOULD take /Geno fellating aside, who do you think IS the highest rated player on their board?

Titty Meat
01-15-2013, 11:37 AM
My hope for year 1 chiefs go 9-7 win a wildcard game.

mcaj22
01-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Suppose we take the highest rated player on the Green Bay board, regardless of position -- question is, all the SHOULD take /Geno fellating aside, who do you think IS the highest rated player on their board?

CB? Safety? RB? I dare say LB or D-line again

i say CB/Safety because of whatever happens with Sam Shields, Charles Woodson is old and I'm not sure how much they like those two new safeties they have. Same could be said for Nick Perry's injury (depth there?) and the fact that AJ Hawk had to play this season and that team hates him. Also still need to help the d-line Jerrel Worthy not enough.

Coogs
01-15-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm cool with the marathon... as long as we sprint out of the gates and try running up with the pack at the front. If we lag back a mile or two and try to catch up to the field... that's pretty tough too do even if the race is 26 miles long.

Bump
01-15-2013, 12:06 PM
JFC John...

Deberg_1990
01-15-2013, 12:08 PM
I dont expect playoffs next year, but i think with just decent QB play and better coaching we could win 6 or 7 games like in 2011. Heck, we didnt even get decent QB play most of that season.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-15-2013, 12:14 PM
We should be trading draft picks necessary to get the #1 overall in 2015 so we can draft Johnny Football. THEN we'll have that 15 year franchise QB.

Setsuna
01-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Let's see...
Colts: 2-14 -> 11-5 +9 Wins 1 Playoff appearance
Seahawks: 7-9 -> 11-5 +4 Wins 2 Playoff appearances
Redskins: 5-11 -> 10-6 +5 Wins 1 Playoff appearance

So I'd say picking up your guy at QB can realistically give your team 5 or more wins give or take 1. Guys like Weeden and Tannehill only gave their teams 1 more win than last season, but only desperate teams wanted those guys, and they got them.

Ace Gunner
01-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Dorsey's message to the fans: "I am going to do everything within my God-given ability that we have as competitive as a team in the NFL as anyone in the NFL. I want to remind them. Please be patient. This is not a sprint. It is a marathon."

Us fans after all those years of futility, of mediocrity, of becoming the new Browns, we should be patient???

I won' t lie, I hope that Chiefs team can at least have an 8-8 record next year and that's me having low expectations.

Are you willing to wait a few years in order to become competitive because of all the changes ??

I think this is a fair statement and it implies he's looking at this with the idea of using a rookie QB next season and letting this young team gel around him.

Tellin' ya folks -- Geno or the likes makes more sense in this context than say, trading for a Matt Flynn or Cousins as the new QB. If he were to bring an experienced QB in, it would be expected this team goes playoffs next year -- at least from the FO's POV. He would have said something like "this team is good to go, we need to sort out the QB position and we can win now" sort of thing.

whoman69
01-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Its a sprint and a marathon. You can't act like you can catch up later when you have the best position. If we waste the pick on a LT when we already have one, or go with another DT to either switch to a 4-3 or become another non-mobile 3-4 DE and hope we can get a QB later, that's idiotic wishful thinking.
We wen't 2-14 in 2008 and had the 3rd pick in the draft with no QB in sight. If Dorsey wants us to have patience so the Chiefs can be a 7-9 squad every year, he better get more of a sense of purpose.