PDA

View Full Version : Football OC McCoy leaves donks to lead dolts

Mr. Laz
01-15-2013, 09:06 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏<s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(187, 187, 187);">@</s>ProFootballTalk (https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk)
Mike McCoy tells the Broncos he's leaving to coach the Chargershttp://wp.me/p14QSB-6U0h (http://t.co/G3nH5vI2) via <s style="text-decoration: initial; color: rgb(130, 218, 245);">@</s>AdamSchefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter)
View summary (https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/291199052299767808)

ReplyRetweetFavorite (https://twitter.com/#)

Mr. Flopnuts
01-15-2013, 09:14 AM
That sucks for the Chargers, and is great news for the Broncos. Sorry Buck, they'll still suck.

BigCatDaddy
01-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Good news for us as well.

the Talking Can
01-15-2013, 09:18 AM
ha ha

Brock
01-15-2013, 09:20 AM
What a Chargers thing to do.

Deberg_1990
01-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Let the Tebow to the Chargers rumors begin!

DaWolf
01-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

With McCoy coming off market look for Ken Whisenhunt as top candidate for Denver OC if he doesn't get Eagles job. Has relationship w/Manning

MagicHef
01-15-2013, 09:22 AM
YES!!!!!

RealSNR
01-15-2013, 09:35 AM
http://pragmaticobotsunite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/nelson_haha.jpg

ChiefMojo
01-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Wisenhunt or possibly Tom Moore could reunite with Manning from the sounds of it.

listopencil
01-15-2013, 10:16 AM
That sucks for the Chargers, and is great news for the Broncos. Sorry Buck, they'll still suck.

That was my immediate thought. I have never been impressed with McCoy.

GoChargers
01-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Meh. At least it isn't a retread hire like Marty or Norv.

ChiefMojo
01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
He may be a good coach but IMO he got to much credit for the Tebow miracle and of course Manning ran that offense this year. Then again he may be a good CEO type?

To be honest hire is meh to me. Then again it looked like the Chargers weren't looking for a big name either... very Todd Haley like hire.

GoChargers
01-15-2013, 10:23 AM
He may be a good coach but IMO he got to much credit for the Tebow miracle
He DID change the offense to suit Teblow's "skills" though. Additionally, he managed to make Kyle freaking Orton look like a decent QB. If he can get Rivers back to elite status, then it's a good hire.

ChiefMojo
01-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Orton still looked like a decent QB in KC.... To decent and to much of a threat to Cassel.

DaWolf
01-15-2013, 10:25 AM
A coach is only as good as his staff. I thought Dennis Allen hired a poor staff last year. We shall see how McCoy does...

DaWolf
01-15-2013, 10:26 AM
He DID change the offense to suit Teblow's "skills" though. Additionally, he managed to make Kyle freaking Orton look like a decent QB. If he can get Rivers back to elite status, then it's a good hire.

As someone pointed out, that's the same Kyle Orton who was benched for Tebow...

Ace Gunner
Let the Tebow to the Chargers rumors begin!

I dream of these things :D

Titty Meat
Good hire.

Buck
01-15-2013, 10:38 AM

Would you please follow the sig guidelines? Your sign is annoying as fuck from a cell phone.

listopencil
01-15-2013, 10:44 AM

1) Josh McDaniels brought Orton up to speed. Orton mentioned that a few times. He said that he learned more in the limited time under McD than he had in his career up to that point.

2) McCoy was kept to provide continuity in our Offense when McD was fired. It didn't work, Orton was benched for Tebow.

3) The Broncos tried to use the same O with Tebow out there at first. It failed even worse than with Orton.

4) The Broncos then switched to a college read-option O and had some success with it. No one really knows who is responsible for that decision, because the HC is the kind of guy that says things like, "Well, we are blah blah blah..." No matter who made the decision it's not exactly all that creative. I could see John Fox sitting at a meeting with the other coaches. I could see it going something like:

Fox: We need more production from the Offense.
O staff: We need a Quarterback then.
Fox: You have Tebow. Call plays that he can understand.
O staff: What? You mean like bullshit JuCo QB sneaks all day?
Fox: Hmmm. Men, I think we are onto something.

MagicHef
01-15-2013, 10:50 AM
I remember articles about Tebow having to teach everyone how to run plays.

Chief Faithful
01-15-2013, 10:51 AM
A coach is only as good as his staff. I thought Dennis Allen hired a poor staff last year. We shall see how McCoy does...

The benefit of an established coach with a good reputation is they come with established position coaches / coordinators with great connections around the league. The only negative is established coaches are hard to obtain. Marty came to KC and San Diego drawing many established coaches with them. Andy Reid is doing the same thing now.

I suspect McCoy is going to be more like Edwards, Dennis Allen, and Crennel where the good coaches run away.

Buck
01-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Love all the armchair GMs calling this a bad move without ever having seen McCoy run 1 play as a head coach. You guys sure know a lot about this guy.

Titty Meat
01-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Love all the armchair GMs calling this a bad move without ever having seen McCoy run 1 play as a head coach. You guys sure know a lot about this guy.

Theres a reason why McCoy intrrviewed for almost every opening. This place is full of dumbasses.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Would you please follow the sig guidelines? Your sign is annoying as fuck from a cell phone.

I removed it just for you. Sorry to cause you butt hurt. Good luck with your new Norv!

Mile High Mania
01-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Good luck, McCoy. We'll find another...

I'm more concerned about retaining Del Rio, moving Bailey over to S or out... sorry, but the time has come. It's been a fun ride. Then, continue to enhance the defense. Once that's done, move over to offense - overhaul the RBs, get quality depth and another WR and we're good to go.

Chargers need more than just a new coach... there's a lot of talent that has left that team in recent years.

MagicHef
01-15-2013, 12:40 PM

I don't know how he'll do as HC, I'm just happy he isn't our OC anymore.

hometeam
01-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Everyone knows PM was the O coordinator for the Broncos, not this guy.

listopencil
01-15-2013, 12:41 PM

I'm stoked at the thought of getting a more dynamically creative OC. That should tell you something. The point is that OC and HC are two very, very different jobs. Is there anything in McCoy's profile that would paint him as an effective administrator? Perhaps, but it's a "meh" hire.

listopencil
01-15-2013, 12:42 PM
I don't know how he'll do as HC, I'm just happy he isn't our OC anymore.

I was more worried about losing Del Rio. We desperately need continuity on the D side.

DTLB58
01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo

Mike McCoy to replace Norv Turner in SD. Last 2 coaches to replace Norv were fired after 1 season (Schottenheimer 01 WSH, Shell 06 OAK).

Setsuna
01-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Osweiler has a chance to be decent now.

Red Dawg
01-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Mccoy has proved shit. Tebow led the league in three and outs. How is this guy regarded as hc material. Xouche on 610 wanted him as our hc. What a joke of a hire for sd.
N

siberian khatru
01-15-2013, 01:11 PM
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo

Mike McCoy to replace Norv Turner in SD. Last 2 coaches to replace Norv were fired after 1 season (Schottenheimer 01 WSH, Shell 06 OAK).

There goes Norv, always raising the bar.

GoChargers
01-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Tebow led the league in three and outs.

That's because Teblow is an atrocious excuse for a pro quarterback regardless of the players and coaches he has around him. It's a miracle that the Donks' coaching staff was able to get that turd polished enough to win more than one regular season game with him as a starter, let alone winning a playoff game.

Rivers, for all his faults, is still a better QB than Teblow or Orton, and he's younger and healthier than Peyton (i.e. no debilitating neck injuries that prevent him from throwing deep downfield). Considering what McCoy has done offensively, especially with those first two dumpster fires at the QB position, I wouldn't discount the possibility of him getting Rivers back to elite status.

Chief Roundup
01-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Suprised by the negative comments on McCoy. If the Chiefs would of hired him there would be so many drolling about him and how good of an OC he has been. Stuff like "If he can win a playoff game with Tebow". "If he can design an offense around Tebow he can be a GOD with Geno".
I hope he sucks ass because he is now a Charger now, but I won't be suprised if he makes that offense better. Of course it isn't up to just him so only time will tell.

BigCatDaddy
01-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Suprised by the negative comments on McCoy. If the Chiefs would of hired him there would be so many drolling about him and how good of an OC he has been. Stuff like "If he can win a playoff game with Tebow". "If he can design an offense around Tebow he can be a GOD with Geno".
I hope he sucks ass because he is now a Charger now, but I won't be suprised if he makes that offense better. Of course it isn't up to just him so only time will tell.

When we were looking for a HC did you see anyone.. ANYBODY say they wanted him?

MagicHef
01-15-2013, 01:58 PM

He didn't design an offense around Tebow. He kept trying to force Tebow to play in his offense, gave up after a while, and had Tebow teach his teammates how to play in his offense.

That was 2011. Replace "Tebow" with "Manning" and it holds true for 2012.

crossbow
01-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Glad he stayed in the AFC West. He can call a run on 3rd and 7 in a tied playoff game.

listopencil
01-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Ugh, I just saw this:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2013/01/john-fox-doesnt-regret-playing-it-safe.html

Denver Broncos coach John Fox’s decision to take a knee at the end of both the first and second half on Saturday — despite having 20 and 31 seconds, and multiple timeouts — was one of the more controversial, and perplexing, coaching moves of the weekend. Today, with two full nights and the benefit of hindsight under his belt, you will be pleased to know that Fox still stands by that decision, and he’s being backed up by his boss, Broncos legend John Elway.

Fox said he felt good about the decision when he made it Saturday, toward the end of one of the most disheartening losses in the franchise’s history. After hashing it over during the last two sleepless nights, he stood by his decision.

“I’d do it again 10 times if it presented itself in that situation,” he said Monday at Denver’s season-ending news conference, where he was joined by Elway, the quarterback-turned-front office executive. [...]

“I thought it was the right thing at that time,” Elway said. “I think with where the team was mentally and the situation we were in, I thought that it was a good move.” [ESPN (http://widget.uproxx.com/b/1/http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8844301/2013-nfl-playoffs-john-fox-john-elway-denver-broncos-stand-choice-take-knee-vs-baltimore-ravens)]

We need a more dynamic, creative OC to overcome Fox's conservatism. Here's the rest of the article, which I found hilarious:

[John Fox walks into a local Denver car dealership]

JOHN FOX: I would like to buy a car.
SALESMAN: Great! What kind of price range are we looking at here?
JOHN FOX: I make $3.5 million dollars per year.
SALESMAN: [with dollar signs in his eyes] Well, Hello Dolly. That’s a nice chunk of change. Luckily we have a few great options for an upscale individual like yourself.
JOHN FOX: Perfect. All I ask is that it’s safe.
SALESMAN: Can do. First up we have the latest in our SUV line. This puppy’s got it all. Power seats, power doors, an engine strong enough to pull up the Titanic, and, on the inside, the luxury and comfort of a limousi-
JOHN FOX: I heard SUV’s roll over a lot.
SALESMAN: Well, that’s less of an issue than it used to be. I mean, you don’t want to take any corners like Tony Stewart or anything, but under normal conditions this is perfectly saf-
JOHN FOX: Pass. Next.
SALESMAN: O…Okay. Next up — and you are gonna LOVE this, I assure you — we have our top-of-the-line luxury sedan. Four doors, plenty of leg-room, strong, durable body. Perfect for a man on the go who wants to look stylish and sensible, but also let everyone know he’s made it.
JOHN FOX: Is it bomb-proof?
SALESMAN: What?
JOHN FOX: What if someone throws a bomb at me like in one of those video games Demaryius is always playing?
SALESMAN: Well, I … why would someone throw a bomb at you?
JOHN FOX: Not important. What would happen?
SALESMAN: Well, no car can withstand a bomb blast without serious after-market modificat-
JOHN FOX: Pass. Next.
SALESMAN: Okay. Okayokayokay. I know this is a long shot, but just hear me out here: A classic summer day, the wind blowing through your hair, the warmth of the sun hitting your skin, the-
JOHN FOX: A convertible?
SALESMAN: Yes. Lots of middle-aged gentlemen love them for the freedom the prov-
JOHN FOX: Don’t be ridiculous. I’ll be decapitated in five minutes in one of those things. What’s that over there?
SALESMAN: Over where?
JOHN FOX: There. In that office. The big rectangle thing.
SALESMAN: The safe?
JOHN FOX: A safe? Sounds safe. I’ll take it.
SALESMAN: But … it’s not for sale. And I don’t even think you’ll fit in it. And it’s not a car. It doesn’t even have wheels.
JOHN FOX: Wheels? Now hang on one second, Evel Knievel. I never said nothing about no wheels. I said safe.
SALESMAN: But how will you go anywhere?
JOHN FOX: Going places is how people get hurt. Hell, I’m not even here now. This is a hologram. I’m hidden in my underground bunker 50 feet below Mile High Stadium. I never leave the premises. Now ship me that safecar in 1000 feet of bubble wrap and send me the bill.
SALESMAN: I can’t do that, sir. I’ll have to check with my manag-
JOHN FOX: Fantastic! Pleasure doing business with you.
[The John Fox Hologram leaves the car dealership. In his bunker, the real John Fox calls John Elway]
JOHN FOX: John, I bought a car.
JOHN ELWAY: Great! What did you get?
JOHN FOX: I dunno, some giant metal box with no wheels or engine. Seems sturdy, though.
JOHN ELWAY: Smart.

Gadzooks
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this...
I was hoping for a guy like Jimmy Johnson. A guy who picks up the level of competition by setting a tone in the organization from the practice field to the SB.
Brian Billick, Jon Gruden or even Mooch were on my wish list. A guy who's been around, has connections and, thus, has access to the best coaching staff available.
We'll see how McCoy shakes out. At this point, he doesn't seem to have the qualifications I'd be looking for.

Chief Roundup
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
When we were looking for a HC did you see anyone.. ANYBODY say they wanted him?

Yes his name was being mentioned a lot before Clark came out and stated the qualities that he wanted in the next HC. Which eliminated 90% of the coaches in the NFL.

listopencil
01-15-2013, 03:04 PM
He didn't design an offense around Tebow. He kept trying to force Tebow to play in his offense, gave up after a while, and had Tebow teach his teammates how to play in his offense.

That was 2011. Replace "Tebow" with "Manning" and it holds true for 2012.

Yup. Well said.

Hootie
01-15-2013, 03:24 PM
I think this is the worst coaching hire of the offseason, no doubt.

I think this guy is a nothing.

Easy 6
01-15-2013, 03:49 PM

WE DONT NEED TO SEE NO STINKING PLAYS HE GONNA SUCK BAUS

Sassy Squatch
01-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Why not Bruce Arians?

BigCatDaddy
01-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Yes his name was being mentioned a lot before Clark came out and stated the qualities that he wanted in the next HC. Which eliminated 90% of the coaches in the NFL.

He may have been mentioned as a guy teams are looking at, but I don't recall anyone saying he is the guy we wanted. I recall a few Shannahan's, but no McCoy's.

Mr. Laz
01-15-2013, 04:23 PM
last year Tebow taught the offense?
this year Manning is teaching the offense?

AND ... he gets promoted for it?

sounds like the dude is pimp to me

DaWolf
01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
I just watched the news conference. Impressive guy, a bit stiff until the end, certainly didn't come across as a doof. Again, we'll have to see what kind of staff he puts together. He had never met Telesco until the interview so we'll have to see how that relationship works out.

It'll be interesting to see what he can do differently with Rivers that Norv, the supposed QB guru, couldn't the last two years...

Chief Roundup
01-15-2013, 04:42 PM
I just watched the news conference. Impressive guy, a bit stiff until the end, certainly didn't come across as a doof. Again, we'll have to see what kind of staff he puts together. He had never met Telesco until the interview so we'll have to see how that relationship works out.

It'll be interesting to see what he can do differently with Rivers that Norv, the supposed QB guru, couldn't the last two years...

Maybe find him some Oline help, a WR and a RB. :shrug:

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Why not Bruce Arians?

Anybody want to reconsider all the shit I took for saying Bruce Arians is a completely overrated head coach candidate?

Let's see... He's 60 years old and didn't get a single head coach interview request until this year. He's been passed up by a few teams. And here, you have a situation where he badly wanted to go to San Diego and was shut down by a GM who is straight from the Colts tree.

Hmm....

Chiefs Pantalones
01-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting that McCoy's first moves will be trading Rivers for picks and picking up Tebow in free agency. ;)

Brock
01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Anybody want to reconsider all the shit I took for saying Bruce Arians is a completely overrated head coach candidate?

Let's see... He's 60 years old and didn't get a single head coach interview request until this year. He's been passed up by a few teams. And here, you have a situation where he badly wanted to go to San Diego and was shut down by a GM who is straight from the Colts tree.

Hmm....

If there's one thing the Chargers do well, it's choosing head coaches.

listopencil
01-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting that McCoy's first moves will be trading Rivers for picks and picking up Tebow in free agency. ;)

Rivers to KC for their first pick in the second round?

Chiefs Pantalones
01-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Rivers to KC for their first pick in the second round?

Just say no to Cabbage Patch Dolls.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2013, 10:10 PM
If there's one thing the Chargers do well, it's choosing head coaches.

5 head coaches have been hired. Arians does not look like he's in good shape to get any of the last 3 spots. Are people really not going to admit they were wrong on this?

Psyko Tek
01-15-2013, 10:12 PM

wasn't his job this year told hold peytons jock and say yes,sah

stay classy San Diego

Psyko Tek
01-15-2013, 10:17 PM

hey. if you got a coach crush enjoy...
not gonna rain on anybodies parade
fuck we wil not know shit until September will we

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2013, 10:19 PM
hey. if you got a coach crush enjoy...
not gonna rain on anybodies parade
**** we wil not know shit until September will we

McCoy wasn't on my top list. But it's disingenuous to say that he was a crappy hire when I saw him on many people's wish list on CP.

listopencil
01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
wasn't his job this year told hold peytons jock and say yes,sah

stay classy San Diego

It's hard to say. I would think that the OC's main job is to install an Offense and call plays. There isn't anything I've seen or heard that makes me think that the job he did in Denver warranted a promotion to HC.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2013, 10:28 PM
It's hard to say. I would think that the OC's main job is to install an Offense and call plays. There isn't anything I've seen or heard that makes me think that the job he did in Denver warranted a promotion to HC.

There is more to a head coaching job than calling plays

AussieChiefsFan
01-15-2013, 10:37 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc99xdfMqw1riahmqo1_400.gif

listopencil
01-15-2013, 10:45 PM
There is more to a head coaching job than calling plays

Yeah, I said that quite a few posts ago. I'm saying that I don't see anything that he has done in Denver to warrant a promotion to Head Coach.

wazu
01-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Glad they didn't get Arians.

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2013, 11:12 PM

Why? I seriously don't get the hype around the guy. Still waiting for someone to explain why he's getting passed up for a million offers in a year where his stock is as high as it will ever get.

DTLB58
01-16-2013, 12:13 AM
Why? I seriously don't get the hype around the guy. Still waiting for someone to explain why he's getting passed up for a million offers in a year where his stock is as high as it will ever get.

Age. Other than that, dude proved he can do it.

It's just most owners like stability and they hope with a new hire comes success and that will lead to a minimum of 10 years with the same coach. When you are already starting at 62....

DTLB58
01-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I said that quite a few posts ago. I'm saying that I don't see anything that he has done in Denver to warrant a promotion to Head Coach.

That's why you conduct an interview.

Us just watching on TV don't know squat and right now I'm kinda on your side.
But when the Steelers hired Tomlin as HC I was like who the heck is that? And I follow the sport pretty darn close. Then I read he walked into that interview with a 300 page binder of how he wanted to organize and coach his first team and knocked the socks off the Rooney's.

If we all knew as much as we would like to think we did, we might be doing something different for a living.

Chiefshrink
01-16-2013, 12:24 AM

McCoy was just a sidebar consultant for PM because Manning was calling the plays.

chiefzilla1501
01-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Age. Other than that, dude proved he can do it.

It's just most owners like stability and they hope with a new hire comes success and that will lead to a minimum of 10 years with the same coach. When you are already starting at 62....

He's only 3 years older than Trestman, a coach who won a position over Arians for a job Arians wanted. But I get where you're coming from. Fair point.

I completely disagree that he proved he can do it. He was a perfect coach to give the team an emotional lift. But from there, the team coasted on a ridiculously soft schedule. If we're going down the age path, I'll continue to ask how a 60 year old coach who coordinated a Super Bowl offense never got a SINGLE interview until this year. Because he's not a long-term head coach, for the same reasons Ron Rivera and Norv Turner shouldn't be.

listopencil
01-16-2013, 01:04 AM
That's why you conduct an interview.

Us just watching on TV don't know squat and right now I'm kinda on your side.
But when the Steelers hired Tomlin as HC I was like who the heck is that? And I follow the sport pretty darn close. Then I read he walked into that interview with a 300 page binder of how he wanted to organize and coach his first team and knocked the socks off the Rooney's.

If we all knew as much as we would like to think we did, we might be doing something different for a living.

Sure, I see what you mean. The guy is somewhat of an enigma to me. I just don't see it. I guess we'll find out.

ChiefMojo
01-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Adam Gase is the new Broncos OC. He has been promoted from QB's coach. Youngest OC in the league at 34.

Honestly may not be a horrible idea. Peyton Manning runs that offense, Gase probably deals with Manning more than anyone and you groom someone young in the Pey Pey offensive system.

GoChargers
01-17-2013, 10:31 AM

I'm glad we didn't get him too.

MahiMike
01-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Always hard to tell if it's the HC or the OC that goes full retard conservative. My guess John Fox and Del Rio were asking for all those runs at the end of the game. Del Rio is a pussy and that's why Koetter is doing so much better in Atlanta.

DonkyPuncher
01-17-2013, 11:54 AM

Orton is a decent qb IMO

listopencil
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Always hard to tell if it's the HC or the OC that goes full retard conservative. My guess John Fox and Del Rio were asking for all those runs at the end of the game. Del Rio is a pussy and that's why Koetter is doing so much better in Atlanta.

Up there in post #41 I shared a link of Fox stating that it was his call to go conservatard. I was hoping to get an OC from outside the organization to shake things up, but they promoted the QB coach to OC. It's going to be more of the same.

listopencil
01-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Kneeling at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarter to run out the clock in a playoff game when you paid for Peyton Manning is like buying a hundred thousand dollar speedboat and leaving it in your back yard on a trailer while you drive your '79 Honda Civic to the lake in the middle of summertime.

ShowtimeSBMVP
01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
NFL: AroundTheLeague‏@NFL_ATL

Ken Whisenhunt lands as Chargers offensive coordinator http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000127670/article/ken-whisenhunt-hired-as-oc-of-san-diego-chargers?campaign=Twitter_atl …

listopencil
01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Here's a blurb from Gase, the new Bronco OC:
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prime-cuts/slice/gase-2013-broncos-offense-to-raise-tempo“You’re not starting over, and in April we’ll be ready right from the get-go,” Gase said Thursday.

Tempo will be paramount, Gase noted, and he admitted that the offense is “going to try to play faster” than it did in 2012.

The notion that Manning was a de facto offensive coordinator was dismissed. “Peyton wants to be coached,” Gase said, adding that he learned how to be on point, because there was no end to how many questions Manning would ask. Gase also said Manning tweaked calls. “If you call something and it’s not good, he fixes it and puts you in a better play,” he said.