PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft What "Best Player Available" means

Dante84
01-15-2013, 08:43 PM
BPAFMT

Best Player Available For My Team

I continue to see people post with the mindset that we won't take positional need into account because Dorsey said he only drafts the "Best Player Available."

Well, stop being stupid. You made me start this thread. Best Player Available and Positional Value do not have to be mutually exclusive.

To think that a GM in the NFL would blindly pass on talent at a position of need because he only drafts the most talented person in general is simplistic and you should be embarrassed for thinking that way. He wouldn't keep his job for long. (hi Scott!)

Please see below for a basic example of how a person can account for both positional need AND talent to create a list of the Best Players Available for his team:

You can develop a scoring system that takes into account:

Roster Need (Go 80 deep by position and depth)
Positional value (ranking against others of the same position and type)
Measurables (combine stats, height/weight, hand size)
Talent (body of work, performance, stats, accomplishments)
Risk (injury, off the field)
Intelligence (football IQ, general IQ)
Intangibles (leadership, personality, work ethic)

Grade each prospect in each area. Update your grades regularly. Compare with those you trust.

When everything is taken into account, assign a score and slot players into your big board.

When I first suggested this, Nightfyre shared his thoughts as well:

Better yet, you can weight each of those categories as necessary for each position, etc. to further refine the model. For example, you may not care about a CB or RB's football IQ. Because clearly it doesn't matter.

Get it? Do ya? Good. Stop being an asshole and use your brain.

People are debating on here like its ****ing Warpaint Illustrated or something.

cdcox
01-15-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm just afraid we will end up passing on Geno if the Ray Guy of long snappers emerges from the combine.

Hoover
01-15-2013, 08:56 PM
I agree. Does anyone really believe this team would take an OLB #1 overall with Hali and Houston under contract?

DeezNutz
01-15-2013, 08:58 PM
BPA is the classic conversation stopper.

Why did you take this player? BPA.
But weren't you concerned about __? BPA.
Yes, but...? BPA.

It's bullshit. And Dorsey doesn't know that Pioli trained us in the art of the bullshit cliche, and you don't fuck with ninjas.

crossbow
01-15-2013, 09:12 PM
I am tired of waiting for the home coming queen to show up. Just ask one of the nice local girls to dance. I am sure she will have fine reproductive organs. In other words: If we drafted a Trent Green I would be elated. We would have a solid NFL athlete for a decade. Hasn't this franchise proved that if you don't get a QB when you have the chance that you will start winning enough games to NOT get a chance to draft one later and never win a playoff game?

Dante84
01-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Hasn't this franchise proved that if you don't get a QB when you have the chance that you will start winning enough games to NOT get a chance to draft one later and never win a playoff game?

You, sir, are the James Dean of copy writing.

Red And Yellow
01-15-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm not sure what it means, but scary to me to think of drafting another D-lineman, just gonna hope for the best and believe these guys(Hunt+Reid+Dorsey) will get this team back on track.

Chris Meck
01-15-2013, 09:28 PM
BPA is the classic conversation stopper.

Why did you take this player? BPA.
But weren't you concerned about __? BPA.
Yes, but...? BPA.

It's bullshit. And Dorsey doesn't know that ***** trained us in the art of the bullshit cliche, and you don't **** with ninjas.
:D

Rasputin
01-15-2013, 09:34 PM
FMT BPA means drafting the guy who is going give the most impact for now and future years to come. Value QB being the most important position on that team, the highest rated QB would be the BPA for a 2-14 team with shit QBs on the roster.

Rain Man
01-15-2013, 10:33 PM
I agree with the original post, and also agree with the advice to stop being stupid. I think that's good advice for many aspects of my life, and I'm going to take it to heart.

NightHawk
01-15-2013, 10:43 PM
BPA=Hopefully means best QB available.

RealSNR
01-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Andy Reid looked out at his press conference and said, "It's my job to find a starting P on this team. We need to find the next Jerel Wilson. That's what we need."

keg in kc
01-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Need has always, is now and will forever be weighed when rating players. Nobody drafts in a vacuum.

RealSNR
01-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Need has always, is now and will forever be weighed when rating players. Nobody drafts in a vacuum.

"Mr. Dorsey, what would you say your draft philosophy is?"

"Best. Player. Available. Get a giant blown up copy of Mel Kiper's big board, and take the highest ranked guy on that list for EVERY selection. No excuses."

Phobia
01-15-2013, 11:28 PM
I am tired of waiting for the home coming queen to show up. Just ask one of the nice local girls to dance. I am sure she will have fine reproductive organs. In other words: If we drafted a Trent Green I would be elated. We would have a solid NFL athlete for a decade. Hasn't this franchise proved that if you don't get a QB when you have the chance that you will start winning enough games to NOT get a chance to draft one later and never win a playoff game?
That's a horrible example, FWIW. Green was in the league forever before he became a competent starter.

TrebMaxx
01-15-2013, 11:58 PM
BPA=Hopefully means best QB available.

BPA=Best Passer Available.

Chiefshrink
01-16-2013, 12:08 AM
The fact that you see in the last 2yrs very young, athletic QB guys emerge like Cam, RGIII, Wilson,Kaepernick and even Luck with Johnny Football waiting in the wings who are defying the NFL developmental 'consistent success timeline logic' makes it much much easier for Dorsey/Reid to take Geno at ONE regardless of whether he is a solid No.1 or not especially when you NEED a QB !.

How in the hell, do you not take Geno when you see guys like Cam,RGIII, Wilson, Luck and Kaepernick rise to the top knowing Geno can be every bit as good?

bowener
01-16-2013, 12:16 AM
BPA=Best Passer Available.

Ohhh... I was thinking of something else.

BPA=Best Passer Biggest Penis Available.

Fairplay
01-16-2013, 01:15 AM
I am tired of waiting for the home coming queen to show up. Just ask one of the nice local girls to dance. I am sure she will have fine reproductive organs. In other words: If we drafted a Trent Green I would be elated. We would have a solid NFL athlete for a decade.

Heh, Trent Green wasn't drafted until the eighth round, if we drafted him in the first the fans would have been turning over cars and burning them like the L.A. riots.

Like Phobia said it took him forever to become a starter.

lostcause
01-16-2013, 02:40 AM

You do when you are Mike Martz and you draft Trung Canidate.

lostcause
01-16-2013, 02:42 AM
That's a horrible example, FWIW. Green was in the league forever before he became a competent starter.

In fairness to Trent, he looked pretty good in 98 in Washington. Albeit, that was 5 years into his career - but well before he took off with KC.

CoMoChief
01-16-2013, 05:47 AM
Here's my criteria for BPA

-Is the guy a badass on the football field?
-Is the guy a not a complete asshole?
-Good work ethic?

Rambozo
01-16-2013, 07:29 AM
BPA means the highest rated player imo. At #1, I think that means the BPA out of QBs, OTs, and pass rushers.