PDA

View Full Version : Life Ft Riley?

guitarmy21b
01-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Has anyone ever been stationed at or known anyone from Ft Riley? I kind of have the choice to go anywhere I want. I've heard good things about 1st Infantry as a unit, and I'd be only a couple hours from Arrowhead which would be nice. It's kind of out in the middle of nowhere though and the old lady isn't too happy with the idea. Can anyone tell me what it's like?

crazycoffey
01-20-2013, 04:19 PM
flat and boring, being close to arrowhead is about the only advantage. and strip clubs, if you like wasting your money.

Brock
01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
What are your other choices? Ft riley should be about #1000 on your list.

ChiefMojo
01-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Definitely not flat.

guitarmy21b
01-20-2013, 04:26 PM
What are your other choices? Ft riley should be about #1000 on your list.

Well...anywhere really, but the only places I'd really want to go is Alaska, Hawaii, Washington State, Riley, or back to Ft Hood, TX. The old lady really hates the cold, I really don't want to be cooped up on an island. Being close to Arrowhead is really tempting to me. I've never lived in Kansas...how's the weather there? Does it snow a lot? I'm looking for somewhere I can ride motorcycles in the summer and ride snowmobiles in the winter.

Saulbadguy
01-20-2013, 04:31 PM
"Cooped up" on an island?

Scorp
01-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Fort Riley????? Major shithole. Lots of drugs there though to make living there bearable.

crazycoffey
01-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Definitely not flat.

really?

crazycoffey
01-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Well...anywhere really, but the only places I'd really want to go is Alaska, Hawaii, Washington State, Riley, or back to Ft Hood, TX. The old lady really hates the cold, I really don't want to be cooped up on an island. Being close to Arrowhead is really tempting to me. I've never lived in Kansas...how's the weather there? Does it snow a lot? I'm looking for somewhere I can ride motorcycles in the summer and ride snowmobiles in the winter.

if you can, you should do Hawaii

Saulbadguy
01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
really?

It's not flat compared to Western Kansas.

Compared to the rest of the country, it is very flat.

Pablo
01-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Summers are hot and shitty. Winters are cold and shitty. Fall is nice. Spring is usually alright; really windy and shitty.

LiveSteam
01-20-2013, 04:36 PM
BIG RED 1

crazycoffey
01-20-2013, 04:37 PM
It's not flat compared to Western Kansas.

Compared to the rest of the country, it is very flat.

It looked flat enough for me when I was there in the 90's. And I went there from Ft. Leonard wood

Pablo
01-20-2013, 04:37 PM
We don't always get a ton of snow; but we always get ice. Ice is shitty.

BlackHelicopters
01-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Hawaii or Ft. Riley? Really?

Brock
01-20-2013, 04:39 PM

You can ride motorcycles damn near year round here. Almost no snow though.

guitarmy21b
01-20-2013, 04:40 PM

Well from what I've heard from other people that have been stationed there is it's awesome and the weather's great and lots of good looking women, etc...but after a while you've seen all there is to see and you're just kind of trapped there unless you feel like buying a plane ticket. Besides, I don't do well in tempting situations with women...which is why Germany is out of the question and Florida currently feels like hell. How much trouble can I get into in Kansas?

crazycoffey
01-20-2013, 04:41 PM
BIG RED 1

good selling point, good units to be associated with. He's a combat engineer, I gather from his username, so he'll actually be training a lot with the infantry. He'll also likely deploy a lot too.

Pablo
01-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Cost of living is fantastic in the Midwest. You wouldn't be too far from KSU or KU either if you're a fan of college athletics.

BigMeatballDave
01-20-2013, 04:44 PM
My dad was stationed there during the early 60s.

Met my mom in Manhattan.

The rest is history.

crazycoffey
01-20-2013, 04:51 PM
My dad was stationed there during the early 60s.

Met my mom in Manhattan.

The rest is history.

trying to dissuade him, are you?

BigMeatballDave
01-20-2013, 04:53 PM
trying to dissuade him, are you?

Does my very existence do that?

DenverChief
01-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Ft. Lewis should be #1 on your list
Ft. Carson isn't bad either
Ft. Hood is in a major metro area

Bottom of the list should include:

Ft. Riley
Ft Bliss
Ft Drum
Ft. Irwin - although 2 hours from LA & LV

guitarmy21b
01-20-2013, 05:00 PM
I hated Ft Hood...only saving grace is it's an hour from Austin

Saccopoo
01-20-2013, 05:00 PM
It's the same as any other mech Infantry Division with the exception of that it's located in the middle of Kansas, with Junction City as it's "main" town.

ergo, it's a pile of shit.

And just wait until you have to do manuevers in the winter and when the black flies spawn in the early summer. Holy shit, that was bad...

Saccopoo
01-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Well from what I've heard from other people that have been stationed there is it's awesome and the weather's great and lots of good looking women, etc...but after a while you've seen all there is to see and you're just kind of trapped there unless you feel like buying a plane ticket. Besides, I don't do well in tempting situations with women...which is why Germany is out of the question and Florida currently feels like hell. How much trouble can I get into in Kansas?

Lot's of good looking women?

What?

In Junction City?

Who is trying to sell you this bullshit?

guitarmy21b
01-20-2013, 05:03 PM

What?

In Junction City?

I was referring to Hawaii lol

Saccopoo
Ft. Lewis should be #1 on your list
Ft. Carson isn't bad either
Ft. Hood is in a major metro area

Bottom of the list should include:

Ft. Riley
Ft Bliss
Ft Drum
Ft. Irwin - although 2 hours from LA & LV

This, though Colorado Springs (Carson) is, hands down, the worst city I've ever lived in.

Brock

What?

In Junction City?

He was talking about HI there

LiveSteam
01-20-2013, 05:12 PM
good selling point, good units to be associated with. He's a combat engineer, I gather from his username, so he'll actually be training a lot with the infantry. He'll also likely deploy a lot too.

My oldman was a CB for 42 years here in Nebraska & was attached to fort Riley Kan.

trndobrd
01-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Motorcycles in summer and snowmobile in winter = Ft. Carson, CO

Dayze
01-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Alaska is bad ass.

JoeyChuckles
01-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Let's reevaluate here. You're trying to decide between Kansas and Hawaii.

Don't over-think it.

guitarmy21b
01-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Let's reevaluate here. You're trying to decide between Kansas and Hawaii.

Don't over-think it.

Well it would be a no brainer if I was trying to decide where to take a vacation, not where to live for the next several years. I'm a country boy.

Frazod
01-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Well it would be a no brainer if I was trying to decide where to take a vacation, not where to live for the next several years. I'm a country boy.

Are you enlisted? Low rank? If so, the cost of living will be brutal for you in Hawaii.

But still, it's Hawaii. If you're single, go for it.

Rain Man
01-20-2013, 05:24 PM
It appears that other people have already covered this, but if you can go anywhere and you choose eastern Kansas, you should be court-martialed and shot.

Hawaii, Europe, check out the Far East. Jeez, how about San Diego if there's a base there?

I'd probably pick Kansas over Afghanistan, but only after I spent a week in Afghanistan to check it out.

Rain Man
01-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Alaska is bad ass.

This is indeed true.

And Fort Carson is near a bunch of nice stuff, even if Colorado Springs itself is kind of meh.

guitarmy21b
01-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Are you enlisted? Low rank? If so, the cost of living will be brutal for you in Hawaii.

But still, it's Hawaii. If you're single, go for it.

Married E-4

It appears that other people have already covered this, but if you can go anywhere and you choose eastern Kansas, you should be court-martialed and shot.

Hawaii, Europe, check out the Far East. Jeez, how about San Diego if there's a base there?

I'd probably pick Kansas over Afghanistan, but only after I spent a week in Afghanistan to check it out.

Well to be fair, I enjoyed Afghanistan a lot more than Texas

Frazod
01-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Married E-4

Well, scratch Hawaii off your list. Think about your family.

Raiderhater
01-20-2013, 05:40 PM

I know, right?

FlaChief58
01-20-2013, 05:58 PM
My Dad was stationed in Ft Riley, retired there then did 20 more years civil svc there. We lived in junction city for a few years in the mid 70's. It was a shit hole even then. If you're going there, keep to the Manhattan side of the fort

Oh, and dont speed through Ogden

dtebbe
01-20-2013, 09:15 PM
I agree about Ft. Carson. The front range is a nice place to live if you like anything outdoors (but especially skiing). I went to AIT with a few guys from Ft. Carson and they all really liked it.

DT

Marcellus
01-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Go to Hawaii dumbass you can go to Kansas anytime you like later.

Don't listen to the BS. Go see and do shit. Take your wife with you.

It's not rocket science. You have a situation you can afford, even if poor, to go live in one of the most beautiful places on earth. I've been there. Do it.

Move to Kansas later and talk about it.

Ace Gunner
01-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Fort Riley????? Major shithole. Lots of drugs there though to make living there bearable.

:)

DaneMcCloud
01-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Dude, wow. I don't know what E-4 means because I was never in the Armed Forces but yeah, go to Hawaii!

Even if you "break even" in terms of salary to cost of living, go for the experience! Learn to surf, boogie board and scuba dive. Go out deep sea fishing with friends, take short trips over to the other islands to check them out. Go hiking up mountains, bicycle around volcanoes and just enjoy the scenery!

Even if it means breaking even for a while, it sounds like you'll be able to change locations in a matter of years, so explore and enjoy life!

Best of luck!

PS - Fort Riley and its surroundings are shitholes, nothing the Arrowhead experience would or could erase.

Dallas Chief
01-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Dude, wow. I don't know what E-4 means because I was never in the Armed Forces but yeah, go to Hawaii!

Even if you "break even" in terms of salary to cost of living, go for the experience! Learn to surf, boogie board and scuba dive. Go out deep sea fishing with friends, take short trips over to the other islands to check them out. Go hiking up mountains, bicycle around volcanoes and just enjoy the scenery!

Even if it means breaking even for a while, it sounds like you'll be able to change locations in a matter of years, so explore and enjoy life!

Best of luck!

PS - Fort Riley and its surroundings are shitholes, nothing the Arrowhead experience would or could erase.

Dude you don't know Hawaii...I heard it said right here on this very board.:D

Boiled Chicken
01-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Hawaii is the answer. If you live on base you'll be fine(insurance and gas are still going to be a bitch) as far as costs. However, 25th ID loves the field(say hello to the big island and the kahukus). You know the rest, great weather all year round, once in a lifetime experience , blah, blah, blah.

KCUnited
01-21-2013, 06:34 AM
Lot of military there if that's your thing.

rtmike
01-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Washington state?

The winter & summer sports are covered.

If the regime would have stayed in place any longer in KC I would have jumped on the Seahawks band wagon. There's always that option for you. Other wise it's gonna be about 10 more years before KC comes back up here.

bevischief
01-21-2013, 07:13 AM
really?

It is in the middle of the Flint Hills.

bevischief
01-21-2013, 07:19 AM
E-4 somewhere in the midwest. Hawaii is way to expensive.

LTL
01-21-2013, 07:20 AM
I graduated from Junction City and have a sister that lives there so I still get back there every now and then.

They have done alot to try and clean the town up, tore down older housing and put new up. I'm not sure how affordable it is though, guessing it could be easily checked out if you wanted. Milford Lake is about the only thing to do, so if you like fishing or boating you will like the lake. Lot of hunting area around there as well. Outside of the lake, their isn't alot to do though so you will be driving to Manhattan, Topeka or KC.

Hawaii, when I was in the Navy I knew a couple guys that got stationed there, nice place but expensive as shit. At the time unless you were E-6 or above you couldn't afford to live off base. You could try and call the base housing center and see what kind of wait time you would have, but if it's still expensive as hell, chances are base housing is going to have a pretty good wait but still worth a call to find out.

Old Dog I think lives in JC so he would be a good source of info about Riley currently.

damaticous
01-21-2013, 07:52 AM
I'm not really sure how much I can say, but I will tell you this.

my step-brother is pretty high up in the army. He has been to Afghanistan and Iraq multiple times. He was stationed in North Carolina (I think). He was in Alaska a while too. He currently is stationed in Leavenworth. He likes Leavenworth only because it's close to his and his wife's family, and fairly close to the stadium.

He recently got a promotion and decided to move his family back to Alaska. He loved it up there and couldn't wait for another opportunity to move back. He's an outdoors type of person that Loves hunting, fishing, golf, etc. His kids will like it, but his wife won't like being so far away from her parents in Kansas.

Like I said, I'm not sure how much I can tell, but let's just say a base or two in Alaska will be getting a fun, Chiefs fan with season tickets, nice, and cool, guy to a VERY high rank.

Dayze
01-21-2013, 08:15 AM
yeah, if you're E4, even with a dependant allowance / off-base living (if you are), is way expensive.

when I was there in 98, a god dam quarter pounder with Cheese was $7. a can of chew was $6-7. I can't imagine what the prices are now. Hawaii is awesome if you have money. I was coming off of a 6 month deployment so I had cash to burn. but I was only there for 4 days (but I've been 3 other times on exercises).

living there full-time would be crazy expensive for an enlisted dude low on the totem pole.

crazycoffey
01-21-2013, 08:19 AM
It is in the middle of the Flint Hills.

have you been there? I have, the storage bunkers are the steepest grade "hill". it may have more curves than other areas, but calling it flat wasn't a stretch by any amount. Unless something changed since 1995. I was only there a week, it was flat, in the middle of nowhere I'd want to live for a few years, compared to leonard wood - that's saying something

Rain Man
01-21-2013, 11:10 AM

The Afghanis probably drive better and have fewer guns.

tredadda
01-21-2013, 11:31 AM

Why not try for Ft Carson in Colorado Springs. That post fits the bolded part to a "T".

gblowfish
01-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Ft. Riley is probably 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from Arrowhead. You are close to Manhattan, which is a college town, and has Kansas State football and basketball. Big lake called Tuttle Creek Reservoir is nearby. But otherwise, you're on the edge of the Flint Hills. Not much out there but cows and prairie grass. Hot as hell in the summer, cold in winter, not much spring or fall in between. If I was a young guy I'd go to Hawaii for a few years just to check it out. The middle of Kansas is not exactly a tourist destination.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-21-2013, 11:37 AM
have you been there? I have, the storage bunkers are the steepest grade "hill". it may have more curves than other areas, but calling it flat wasn't a stretch by any amount. Unless something changed since 1995. I was only there a week, it was flat, in the middle of nowhere I'd want to live for a few years, compared to leonard wood - that's saying something

while I won't argue that Ft. Riley is situated amongst mountains, the Flint Hills are hardly flat. You apparently missed the large mound right across from the airfield...

http://ddlong.brinkster.net/atomiccannon/images/DSCN0069.jpg

Warrior5
01-21-2013, 12:07 PM
21B,
I would certainly request posts other than Riley, but don't put it too far down on your preference list. Lots of new enlisted housing, excellent DoD schools, and great commissary/PX. 4 x BCTs and other separate brigades, great training areas/ranges. Instant access to I-70.

It's a great post now, but not alot immediately outside the gate. I could think of a lot worse installations to spend a 3-4 year tour.

Kerberos
01-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Being from Junction City and working a good portion of my life on Ft. Riley I can tell you that the midwest isn't all that bad. Junction City has changed a LOT from what it was 20 years ago and all of you that give your negative isights can SMD. Most of you have never even been there in the past 10 years or probablly not at all... so your opinions mean JS.

With that being said you do have other places to chose from as Manhattan is right next door and catching a KSU game would be pretty kewl. Topeka is not that far if you want to do some shopping and KC is only a couple hours away and plenty to do. They have KC Chiefs tickets you can get from the ITR office and IIRC you can get a bunch of buddies to chip in and charter a small transport with separated driver and have a friggin party in the back all the way there and back. :)

I will say this to you JC naysayers... After living in Henderson, NV (Las Vegas Valley) for the last 3+ years... I love having every available source of entertainment under the sun here. JC and the Ole'boy network of not building up the business in town leaves a lot to be desired as far as places to go and things to do.

But IMO Ft. Riley isn't that bad. It is a historic base and has a LOT buildings that date back into the 1800's.

BurtGummer44Magnum
01-21-2013, 12:27 PM
I can comment on Ft Riley as I grew up in the area and went to KSU. I can also comment on Hawaii and Alaska as I spent 25 years as a Coast Guard Aviator with the majority of it flying around the Pacific and I chose to retire in Alaska.

Ft Riley area is rolling hills, hot and dry in the Summer, I would consider winters mild, but if you're from the south they may seem harsh. Good place if you have a family to raise your kids. It's not a Cosmopolitan area by a long shot and only marginal for outdoors activities such as fishing, boating, and hunting. There won't be any snow machining and I'm not aware of any 4 wheeling areas as almost all land is private and fenced in. If you want the quiet, rural life this is a good location.

Hawaii, Expensive, not a real good place to raise a family, locals won't like you unless you're spending money. Weather is great, if you surf or love the beach then it is your Mecca. If you are an outdoorsman and into guns/shooting/hunting at all.......stay the hell away from Hawaii. Personally, outside of the weather, and the views Hawaii is in my opinion............Hell on earth.

Alaska, I've been from one end of Alaska to the other. Alaska is huge, and if you enjoy the outdoors; everything from hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, skiing, back country snow machining, flying, mountain climbing, atving etc..................then this is the only place in the world. Being in the Army you'll either end up in Anchorage or Fairbanks. Fairbanks is much colder in the winter (-40F) and much hotter in the summer (90F) and has more of a frontier feel to it. Anchorage is a larger town (half of the AK population lives in Anchorage) and winters are more mild, but summers are cooler and wetter. Anchorage is more like a L48 town then anywhere else in AK with all the associated box stores and fast food joints. You can access the best summer location in Alaska, Prince William Sound, from both locations. Alaska is expensive, wild, undeveloped, and not the place for the unadventurous urban types.

crazycoffey
01-21-2013, 12:43 PM
while I won't argue that Ft. Riley is situated amongst mountains, the Flint Hills are hardly flat. You apparently missed the large mound right across from the airfield...

http://ddlong.brinkster.net/atomiccannon/images/DSCN0069.jpg

I was being a little sarcastic, with the bunker comment, I admit. But you can see for miles over the base and beyond. So I am still wondering why this is such a topic of debate.

Old Dog
01-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Since I still live not too far from there (and work there) I'll give you my .02

First and foremost, like many other bases/forts/camps, etc...you can forget a LOT of what you've heard and for the most part they are what you make of them.

You'll not find a lot of places for snowmobiling, but I generally ride the bike from March until late October (a lot of guys ride even more, but I'm not into riding if it's under about 40 degrees). Hunting and fishing aren't bad at all depending on what you're after....deer are very plentiful and if you're serious about it I've not heard of anyone unable to fill their elk tag. George was right that Tuttle Creek is nearby, but Milford is closer and is quite a bit larger (Tuttle has roughly 100 miles of shoreline as opposed to 170 for Milford).

Arrowhead is right at a two hour drive (It takes me about 2:20, but again, I'm a tad west of JC)

They've built a LOT of new housing in the last few years (and are still building) and have also built a new PX, at least two new schools, a few new day care centers, and a new hospital is currently in progress.

Many people are beating the drum for Hawaii and I'm not going to disagree with them but it is extremely expensive and "Island fever" can be an issue for some. I would still go back again though.
Ft Carson is one I didn't really care for AT ALL, and didn't especially enjoy Ft Lewis but again to each his own.

I could go on and on and on, but if there's anything in particular that you're wanting to know shoot me a PM or ask on here.

Kerberos
01-21-2013, 02:27 PM
I was being a little sarcastic, with the bunker comment, I admit. But you can see for miles over the base and beyond. So I am still wondering why this is such a topic of debate.

Well when the picture was taken from on TOP of a pretty good size hill it only makes sense that you can see pretty far. But East-Central KS is anything but flat land I can assure you.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Well when the picture was taken from on TOP of a pretty good size hill it only makes sense that you can see pretty far. But East-Central KS is anything but flat land I can assure you.

I actually think that was taken from the first landing where the motorized mortar is, about halfway up.

demonhero
01-21-2013, 02:38 PM
I though Fort Riley was boring as hell, but I was only there 3 times and that was to cross-train. Alaska would be my selection based on available options.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Dude, for what you want to do, you want to live in Seattle, WA more than you even know. Take it from someone who grew up there. Ft. Lewis is awesome, and the location you'll be in will allow you to do everything you want and more.

Your wife won't like the weather, but it'll never be bitter cold, or blistering hot. Lots of cloudy days, and drizzling rain. That's the downside.

But you have access to all of God's wonder there, and you're close to all of it being stationed at Ft. Lewis. The mountains, the ocean, beautiful lakes, lush greenery. It's pretty awesome.

dtebbe
01-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Now if you haven't been overseas.. I'd suggest Italy:
http://www.facebook.com/USAGvicenza

When I was stationed in Greece I was attached to 558th which was SETAF. We had a bunch of guys come over TDY from Italy and they all had good things to say about it. Just being in the European theater, you can jump a MAC flight and go about anywhere in Europe cheap. My wife and I had a great time in Greece. Of coarse being stationed with the Air Force helped :p

DT

Frosty
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
But you have access to all of God's wonder there, and you're close to all of it being stationed at Ft. Lewis. The mountains, the ocean, beautiful lakes, lush greenery. It's pretty awesome.

That stuff would be awesome if it weren't for the idiots that live over there.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-21-2013, 02:54 PM
That stuff would be awesome if it weren't for the idiots that live over there.

ROFL Why do you think I moved away? It's still a great place to be stationed for a few years.

Kerberos
01-21-2013, 02:54 PM
I actually think that was taken from the first landing where the motorized mortar is, about halfway up.

Proves the point even more that there are good size hills in that part of KS. I am guessing you went all the way to the top?

I don't remember the whole story about that cannon at the top but I do remember it could lob nuclear warheads a few hundred miles???

mikeyis4dcats.
01-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Proves the point even more that there are good size hills in that part of KS. I am guessing you went all the way to the top?

I don't remember the whole story about that cannon at the top but I do remember it could lob nuclear warheads a few hundred miles???

I did when I was a teenager. It's an atomic cannon. It had a range of about 30 miles IIRC.

DTLB58
01-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Has anyone ever been stationed at or known anyone from Ft Riley? I kind of have the choice to go anywhere I want. I've heard good things about 1st Infantry as a unit, and I'd be only a couple hours from Arrowhead which would be nice. It's kind of out in the middle of nowhere though and the old lady isn't too happy with the idea. Can anyone tell me what it's like?

The Old Lady? I instantly thought of your Grandma?

Is this the 1970's or deep in the woods of The south where red necks still refer to their wives as their " old Lady"?

Beef Supreme
01-21-2013, 03:43 PM
I always thought Ft. Riley was where they sent people as punishment.

crazycoffey
01-21-2013, 03:59 PM

get some good skiing on that massive mound of dirt? rock climbing, moutain walk, etc. jeez. talk about beating dead horses. what's next, I didn't use capital letters to start my sentences?

Its flat and boring, unless you grew up there and have a sentimental value / family connection to the area, it wouldn't be in the middle, let alone on top, of many peoples wish lists.

I'd take FLW, Bragg, lewis, drum, any in california, germany, hawaii, alaska, all over riley.

crazycoffey
01-21-2013, 04:06 PM
http://www.circleofmoms.com/military-spouses-with-children/best-family-base-post-for-army-271235#_

some military wifes/moms talking about family plus stations, get your wife on there to talk to people all over.

military onesource is a great resource too

damaticous
01-21-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm not really sure how much I can say, but I will tell you this.

my step-brother is pretty high up in the army. He has been to Afghanistan and Iraq multiple times. He was stationed in North Carolina (I think). He was in Alaska a while too. He currently is stationed in Leavenworth. He likes Leavenworth only because it's close to his and his wife's family, and fairly close to the stadium.

He recently got a promotion and decided to move his family back to Alaska. He loved it up there and couldn't wait for another opportunity to move back. He's an outdoors type of person that Loves hunting, fishing, golf, etc. His kids will like it, but his wife won't like being so far away from her parents in Kansas.

Like I said, I'm not sure how much I can tell, but let's just say a base or two in Alaska will be getting a fun, Chiefs fan with season tickets, nice, and cool, guy to a VERY high rank.

Found out today that I can talk about my step bro. He is a Colonel. He will be at both bases. He has to be there on Feb 13th. It's going to take him 2 weeks to drive there and his wife and kids will go later.

He is really excited about it and can't wait to get there. He has always wanted to be a Colonel since a little boy. He loves the area and plans to retire there as well.

I'm not sure what he is going to do with his season tickets. If he keeps them I may go halvies with him since he will be so far away to use them.

Old Dog
01-22-2013, 08:16 AM
LMAO at folks bagging on Riley, most of which I'm willing to bet have never been stationed there.

It's been said many times, but it's true: The worst post you've ever had is the one you're at and the best is the one you just left.

crazycoffey
01-22-2013, 08:55 AM
LMAO at folks bagging on Riley, most of which I'm willing to bet have never been stationed there.

It's been said many times, but it's true: The worst post you've ever had is the one you're at and the best is the one you just left.

so, during your re-enlistment, with location options open to your choice, where is riley on your wishlist?

Old Dog
01-22-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm retired, so it's not relevant, but while I was in it was in the top ten stateside....in order

Wainright (though not considered CONUS....never made it there)
Carson (tried it and hated it)
Leavenworth (was never stationed there)
Lewis (tried it and didn't care much for it)
McClellan (closed now, but LOVED it)
Meade (liked it there, was able to show the kids a lot of historical sites)
Riley (retired near here)
Sam Houston (not bad, but it's where careers go to die....can expound if you like)

crazycoffey
01-22-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm retired, so it's not relevant, but while I was in it was in the top ten stateside....in order

Wainright (though not considered CONUS....never made it there)
Carson (tried it and hated it)
Leavenworth (was never stationed there)
Lewis (tried it and didn't care much for it)
McClellan (closed now, but LOVED it)
Meade (liked it there, was able to show the kids a lot of historical sites)
Riley (retired near here)
Sam Houston (not bad, but it's where careers go to die....can expound if you like)

It's relevant because he's asking for input on where he should decide to go. Curious if you were from central kansas to begin with.

The military has forced me to go many places I wouldn't choose to go, you just have to learn to make the most of where you're at. With a question like the OP, I gave the answers I gave.

Old Dog
01-22-2013, 09:17 AM
OK, to answer your question, not originally from central Kansas.

Why in the world would anyone have Leonard Wood or Drum on their wish list though? I'm just curious, though I've been to both, I've not done any prolonged time at either and have never heard much good from either one.

I've heard many folks like Irwin as well, but the only times I was there were for NTC rotations so it isn't high on the duty stations I could recommend.

crazycoffey
01-22-2013, 03:28 PM
OK, to answer your question, not originally from central Kansas.

Why in the world would anyone have Leonard Wood or Drum on their wish list though? I'm just curious, though I've been to both, I've not done any prolonged time at either and have never heard much good from either one.

I've heard many folks like Irwin as well, but the only times I was there were for NTC rotations so it isn't high on the duty stations I could recommend.

I'm from mid Mo, and had many summers at the lake of the ozarks. while stationed at FLW we would pull weekend MP duty at mark twain, on the lake, a military resort, cabins-fishing-boat rentals, and close to my Dad's lake house = family etc.

drum, is close to the great lakes and many upstate new york state parks. would be interesting to me.

Kerberos
01-24-2013, 07:51 AM
I'd take FLW, Bragg, lewis, drum, any in california, germany, hawaii, alaska, all over riley.

Good for you...Here....you want a cookie?