PDA

View Full Version : Life Left-hand/right-hand dominant

Fire Me Boy!
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
The post about guitars and all the folks saying they were left handed got me curious about hand dominance... so simple question. Are you left handed or right handed, and how dominant is that hand? Are you almost all one-handed or do you just favor one over the other? Or do you feel you're truly ambidextrous?

Fire Me Boy!
01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
I'm strongly left-handed. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that I do right-handed is use scissors, and that's mainly because growing up, left-handed scissors sucked balls.

Dayze
eat with my left, kick with my left; throw with my right; write with my right,
box as a southpaw.

okoye35chiefs
:hump:

truely ambidextrous... i smack ass with both hands!

okoye35chiefs
01-24-2013, 12:44 PM
whole family all right handed except for my oldest daughter who is a lefty. COME ON SOFTBALL SCHOLARSHIP!

Rasputin
01-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Most of the time I use my right hand, but now and then it's like cheating using the left hand.

Fire Me Boy!
01-24-2013, 12:45 PM
whole family all right handed except for my oldest daughter who is a lefty. COME ON SOFTBALL SCHOLARSHIP!

Exact opposite for my family. Dad, brother and I are all lefties. Mom is right.

Rausch
Depends...

Sorter
Write RH, Throw RH, can kick both, bat LH, L eye dominant (shoot LH).

I don't know how to explain it. Maybe was LH dominant and just was taught to use mah RH for writing early?

BigMeatballDave
01-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Write and eat lefthanded.

Everything else, righthand.

Grim
01-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Do everything with my right hand except fap.

ZepSinger
01-24-2013, 12:48 PM
totally left-handed and left footed. Kicking or throwing a ball with my right limbs makes me look like a physically-challenged little girl. The only thing is this world that I do right-handed is play guitar. Crazy.

Z

Fire Me Boy!
01-24-2013, 12:49 PM
totally left-handed and left footed. Kicking or throwing a ball with my right limbs makes me look like a physically-challenged little girl. The only thing is this world that I do right-handed is play guitar. Crazy.

Z

I'm right-footed, but ask me to throw a ball, swing a bat or club right-handed, and that's me.

Sorter
01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Write and eat lefthanded.

Everything else, righthand.

In nice settings/occasions, I eat LH.

Frosty
01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Write RH, Throw RH, can kick both, bat LH, L eye dominant (shoot LH).

I don't know how to explain it. Maybe was LH dominant and just was taught to use mah RH for writing early?

My grandpa says when he was a kid and first started writing, he naturally picked up the pencil with his left hand. However, that was "of the devil" and his mother and the teacher would smack his hand if he used his left to write. He says that forcing him to use his right hand only resulted in him being clumsy with both hands.

Mr. Laz
01-24-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm right handed but for some reason certain things i do with my left hand. :shrug:

Dayze
01-24-2013, 12:53 PM
when I was competing in gymnastics, on the hi bar i would blind change to the right (as your near veritical, you turn one way or the other to get a reverse grip), but would then pirouette (sp?) at vertical to the left to go back to regular grip. essentiall traveling across the entire bar lol. which sucked. Had to change either the blind change turn or pirouette. should/optimally be able to blind change, then priouette back to your original spot from your regular grip.

very awkward; never did really get used to it.

blaise
01-24-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm right hand dominant. My younger son, though, is kind of odd. He writes with his left hand, but swings a baseball bat right handed.

Sorter
01-24-2013, 12:56 PM
My grandpa says when he was a kid and first started writing, he naturally picked up the pencil with his left hand. However, that was "of the devil" and his mother and the teacher would smack his hand if he used his left to write. He says that forcing him to use his right hand only resulted in him being clumsy with both hands.

I don't think it was that (and I can't recall writing LH). I do know that when I was young my pops placed an importance on being able to hit from both sides of the plate and being able to be an effective LH hitter.

Bummer I loathed baseball.

Additionally as far as boxing/MMA is concerned, I traditionally spar out of a right hand stance but LH is dominant while I feel my RL is more dominant for leg kicks and my left leg is dominant for high/body kicks. I'm just a mess. It did create some unique sparring sessions and was nice to have a solid switch-kick. My right hook out of a SP stance sucks but my OHR out of regular is okay. LH out of orthodox is fine as is my straight L out of southpaw. OHL out of southpaw is beyond slow and telegraphed. LMAO

Ace Gunner
01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
lefty. play ball lefty and batted both sides of the plate. had more power from the right side though. I throw lefty. Play 2 kik drums but scatter toms according to the music styles, keep time with either hand or foot. play guitar lefty, piano is cool because I can do a lot more than righties do with the rhythm hand. kick using right foot but sometimes use left foot. write with either hand, broke my arm and had to switch up as a youngster. preferred to line up left side as a WR, liked to stretch - catch passes with left hand but liked to tuck & run with ball in right arm.

htismaqe
01-24-2013, 01:00 PM

Do you really need to have your right hand in your ass?

Mr. Flopnuts
01-24-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm slightly left handed. I write, throw, and bowl left handed. However I can switch hit, stronger from the right side, play the guitar right handed, and golf right handed.

Dayze
01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
^ switch hitter.

:)

BigMeatballDave
01-24-2013, 01:04 PM

I fap with both.

Yeah, I'm talented.

Rausch
01-24-2013, 01:07 PM
I fap with both.

Yeah, I'm talented.

Fap lefty.

When it comes to my feet (boarding) I'm all left.

But definitely a rightie.

Sorter
01-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Fap lefty.

Skate and snowboard goofy as well.

KCSPORTSNUT
01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Was born lefty and my mom used to tie my left hand down and make me do things right handed.So naturally learned to do everything with both,may be natural too because i can do everything equally well with both hands.

Old Dog
01-24-2013, 01:11 PM
I can do most things involving hands equally well (or poorly related to golf) with either. I normally write left handed, but will think about it once in a while and write right handed just for the sake of doing it.
In baseball I had more power from the right side, but had a better average with the left. I could throw OK left handed, but that didn't work too well at shortstop growing up, so I almost never did until I switched to 1st base in my mid 30s playing softball.
In golf, I still putt left handed, I don't know why, I just seem to read putts better that way.
Ask me to kick anything with my left foot though and I'm as accurate as Lin ****** against the Colts.

Frosty
01-24-2013, 01:14 PM
I don't think it was that (and I can't recall writing LH).

I didn't think it was. I doubt anyone still thinks lefties are of the devil. Your post was just a launching point for my "Cool Story, Bro". :)

Mr. Laz
01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
I fap with both.

Yeah, I'm talented.Fap lefty.

there is something pretty Te'o about exchanging Fap specifics with another dude. :spock:

gblowfish
01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
All these guys fap lefty because they use the right hand to hold the magazine open....

Rausch
01-24-2013, 01:19 PM
there is something pretty Te'o about exchanging Fap specifics with another dude. :spock:

Not really.

I'm being honest...

lcarus
01-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Everything athletically is with my right hand. Writing, eating, wiping my ass, jerkin my gerkin is all with my left hand.

Rain Man
01-24-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm not ambidextrous, but I use both hands equally. Tasks involving fine motor skills are done with my left hand, and tasks involving power are done with my right hand.

So I write lefty and can barely hold a pen righty. Tooth brush lefty, hold a fork lefty, etc.

I throw righty and throw like a girl lefty. Kick righty, open jars righty, etc.

However, for reasons I can't explain, I carry things in my left hand. If you give me three books, I cannot grip them at all with my right hand. I have to carry them lefty, even though my pattern indicates that it should be righty.

Dayze
01-24-2013, 02:38 PM
I do carry everything in my left hand now. coffee cup, back pack etc. Brainwashed from Bootcamp and the military left; so you can salute with your right if you needed to salute.

Wumbology
01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Definitely right handed. I played soccer in high school and still play in indoor leagues and my left foot is my dominant one. Seems like there are a quite a few people like that judging by posts here, I thought I was the only one.

Fat Elvis
01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Left-handed by nature.

Left hand: write, brush teeth, throw, bat, shoot handgun, golf (if I played)

Right hand: play guitar (if I actually played), shoot pool, use mouse, archery, shoot rifle

Kick right foot

Can write simultaneously forward and backward (mirror) with both right and left hands (right forward, left backwards).

Mr. Flopnuts
01-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Can write simultaneously forward and backward (mirror) with both right and left hands (right forward, left backwards).

:spock: That's fucking incredible.

Trench
01-24-2013, 03:00 PM
FMB and our dad are both much more strongly left handed than I am. I throw righty, bat lefty, write lefty (unless I'm at a chalkboard, in which case I can write with either hand). Dad shoots right handed, which boggles my mind. He doesn't do anything else right handed that I'm aware of.

A question for the lefties: do you find that your right hand/arm is stronger than your left?

Fire Me Boy!
01-24-2013, 03:07 PM
FMB and our dad are both much more strongly left handed than I am. I throw righty, bat lefty, write lefty (unless I'm at a chalkboard, in which case I can write with either hand). Dad shoots right handed, which boggles my mind. He doesn't do anything else right handed that I'm aware of.

A question for the lefties: do you find that your right hand/arm is stronger than your left?

I didn't know you could write right at the chalkboard. That's messed up.

I feel like my right is stronger.

ThaVirus
01-24-2013, 03:10 PM

You two are related?

Mr. Flopnuts
01-24-2013, 03:11 PM

:spock: FMB, you have a lurking brother? This thread is getting odder by the minute. :p

My left hand is stronger than my right. I am mostly left handed. I just do some odd stuff with my right hand. :thailor: STRANGER!

Fire Me Boy!
01-24-2013, 03:15 PM
You two are related?

:spock: FMB, you have a lurking brother? This thread is getting odder by the minute. :p

He's adopted.

(Not really.)

Mr. Flopnuts
01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
He's adopted.

ROFL Now he won't post again for another 10 years. You asshole! :fire:

Fire Me Boy!
01-24-2013, 03:17 PM
ROFL Now he won't post again for another 10 years. You asshole! :fire:

ROFL

He's been here two years longer than I have, and I've posted 303X more often...

Rain Man
01-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Looking at their join dates, does trench refer to Fire Me Boy as a n00b?

MahiMike
01-24-2013, 03:23 PM
When I was a little scrawny kid with no stamina, I learned how to do most things with each hand. Came in handy later when they invented bi-racquetball (not that other kinda bi).

Also helped last year when I had shoulder surgery.

-King-
01-24-2013, 03:31 PM
I guess I'd be strongly right handed.

But I fap with my left hand. Gotta keep that mouse hand free and ready to look for more pr0n.

Trench
01-24-2013, 03:38 PM
FMB is more ... extroverted than I am. cough!--attention whore! He's also younger than me, so he's a noob in all respects.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-24-2013, 03:39 PM
I guess I'd be strongly right handed.

But I fap with my left hand. Gotta keep that mouse hand free and ready to look for more pr0n.

You mean you guys don't have to fap with both hands? /averageCPposter

Mr. Flopnuts
01-24-2013, 03:39 PM
FMB is more ... extroverted than I am. <cough>attention whore!</cough> He's also younger than me, so he's a noob in all respects.

Dollars to doughnuts I've seen you on his Facebook page. Do you post more often there?

Trench
01-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Dollars to doughnuts I've seen you on his Facebook page. Do you post more often there?

Yep. If there's someone on there flipping him shit, it's probably me.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Yep. If there's someone on there flipping him shit, it's probably me.

Nice. That's what big brothers are for.

Fat Elvis
01-24-2013, 03:52 PM
You know, they say left handed people ate their twin in the womb.

Trench
01-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Nom nom nom

Fire Me Boy!
01-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Nom nom nom

ROFL

Rep for that. Wow.

BlackHelicopters
01-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Can do all things, including fap, with both hands. Learnt it at UMKC.

Rambozo
01-24-2013, 06:07 PM
I am right handed and ambidextrous with my feet.

2bikemike
01-24-2013, 06:23 PM
I write left handed and can write legibly with my right hand. I throw a ball left but bat right. I can hit from the other side just not as strongly.

I started playing golf right handed and then when I got serious I switched to left when I took lessons. I think I should have stayed right handed.

I am right eye dominant so when I shoot I shoot right handed.

JoeyChuckles
01-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Right handedness is not a choice. I was born this way.

AussieChiefsFan
01-24-2013, 06:49 PM
A lot of Ambidextrous people!

rocknrolla
01-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Can't do anything right handed. It sucked my first year of little league, my mom couldn't find a left handed glove for the longest time. I can't throw for shit with my right hand. Out of 6 in my family 3 are lefties.