PDA

View Full Version : Money Be on the lookout for new credit card ‘checkout fees’

R8RFAN
01-27-2013, 05:58 PM
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — You might want to think twice before whipping out your credit card. As of Sunday, stores in most states could start charging you a “checkout fee” when you pay for something with plastic.
The new fees stem from a multi-billion dollar settlement announced in July between credit card issuers and millions of merchants.
Visa, MasterCard and nine major banks agreed to a $7.25 billion deal to settle charges that they were fixing credit card processing fees. As part of the settlement, credit card issuers said they would reduce these “swipe fees” — fees paid by merchants to issuers when cards are used — but only for eight months.
In addition, the settlement also gave retailers the option to tack on a surcharge if a customer uses a credit card. The retailer can only charge enough to cover the processing costs, which is about 1.5% to 3% of the total purchase, according to watchdog group Consumer Action.
Although 10 states currently have laws restricting these types or checkout fees, North Carolina is not one of them.
Many big players in the retail industry have been up in arms about the settlement. Stores from the nation’s largest retailer down to small businesses have lamented the agreement, claiming that it transferred the wrongdoings of credit card issuers to the consumer.
In November, the National Retail Federation and more than a dozen retailers asked a judge to reject the proposed settlement. In a brief submitted to a U.S. District Court judge in Brooklyn, N.Y., the trade organization wrote that the new fees threaten a merchant’s ability to keep prices low for customers.
Wal-Mart, Macy’s, JCPenney, Limited Brands, Gap Inc. and The Neiman Marcus Group were among those who joined the NRF in claiming that “raising consumer prices by adding an ‘interchange tax’ is no remedy for Visa’s and MasterCard’s continuing monopoly abuse.”
In a separate statement, Wal-Mart said that it would cost consumers “tens of billions of dollars each year.” Target called the agreement “bad for both retailers and consumers.”
Merchants have a choice as to whether to implement the surcharge, but it poses quite a dilemma for them: Either get stuck footing the bill for the swipe fees, or risk transferring the cost to customers in an already competitive environment.
Last summer, Target said it had no interest in charging customers who use credit cards more “in order to allow Visa and MasterCard to continue charging unfair fees.”
Smaller merchants echoed these concerns over the deal, saying it doesn’t go far enough.
MasterCard said it doesn’t expect most merchants to put the surcharge into effect, since stores won’t want to drive away business.
“We anticipate that they will not impose checkout fees, particularly because the value merchants derive from card acceptance far exceeds their costs,” the credit card company said in a statement.
Credit: CNN.
http://myfox8.com/2013/01/27/be-on-the-lookout-for-new-credit-card-checkout-fees/

|Zach|
01-27-2013, 06:01 PM
They are illegal in Kansas. FYI for some CPers.

mikeyis4dcats.
01-27-2013, 06:34 PM
AMEX also prohibits it, and since anyplace that accepts AMEX must enforce a surcharge across all cards, they cannot surcharge at all.

sedated
01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
I guess they arent illegal in MO, because The Quaff has charged me an extra $1 for using my card for a few years now.

R8RFAN
01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
I think what is killing the merchants is the people who are buying a pack of gum with the credit card.... The profit margin is small already, then they charge a .20 transaction fee + a % of the total sale.

The villain is the credit card companies not the merchants

bevischief
01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Does this apply to debit cards as well?

R8RFAN
01-27-2013, 06:43 PM

Probably if the bank that backs it charges a transaction fee

ElGringo
01-27-2013, 06:55 PM

I believe this would also depend on if you use it as a debit or credit card. I know when I go to my favorite liquor store in the states, they always ask. I tell them it doesn't make a difference, so they decide depending on how much the transaction is. It would appear there are 2 different charges to the store depending on the amount of the bill.

Coach
01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Well, I guess I better start carrying cash then....

mikeyis4dcats.
01-27-2013, 07:02 PM

no

01-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Not many good reasons for being stuck in Kansas but this one actually helps. LMAO

Have to keep an eye on the internet purchases though.

bevischief
01-27-2013, 07:07 PM
So where is all this this change? So far it has cost me more money.

bevischief
01-27-2013, 07:09 PM
no

I only pay cash or use my debit card. I have no credit cards any more.

01-27-2013, 07:09 PM

Its hopey change. You pay the fee then it goes to the people that can't pay the fee.

Saulbadguy
01-27-2013, 07:10 PM
I think what is killing the merchants is the people who are buying a pack of gum with the credit card.... The profit margin is small already, then they charge a .20 transaction fee + a % of the total sale.

The villain is the credit card companies not the merchants

It's a wash. Merchants make more money by accepting credit cards.

R8RFAN
01-27-2013, 07:12 PM

It's already costed everyone more money , businesses don't absorb costs... The prices go up for everyone to cover the fees

mikeyis4dcats.
01-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Not many good reasons for being stuck in Kansas but this one actually helps. LMAO

Have to keep an eye on the internet purchases though.

I am curious as to how that works. Is the sale considered made in Kansas, or elsewhere? Since they are supposed to collect Kansas tax if they have a physical presence, it would seem it should fall under Kansas law.

DRU
01-27-2013, 08:02 PM
The Durbin Amendment is what was passed to make these changes. If you want all of the actual details read this: http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/durbin-amendment-explained/

KCUnited
01-27-2013, 08:12 PM
I guess they arent illegal in MO, because The Quaff has charged me an extra $1 for using my card for a few years now.

Lol, them waitresses have been charging a lot more than that on a lot of people's cards for years.

suzzer99
01-27-2013, 09:02 PM
I need AustinChief to tell me how this affects my liberties before I know how to feel about this.