PDA

View Full Version : Life Have you ever been on a plane you thought was about to crash?

teedubya
01-30-2013, 09:04 AM
I was in Chicago for a speaking event at the University of Chicago's School of Business yesterday... and my flight kept getting delayed from 5pm to 7:30pm... to finally 10:15pm. And the flight from Chicago to KC felt like it was going to crash.

That was the most intense, turbulent flight, out of easily over 100 flights that, I've ever experienced... I was lifted up off my seat several times and it shook open overhead bins. The pilot fought to keep the wings balanced through approximately 45 minutes of thinking this may be my last day on Earth.

I'm still nauseous, although grateful to be alive and on the ground... count your blessings today and hug your loved ones. You never know when it's your time to leave this rock. ♥

Now tomorrow morning, I fly to New Orleans. UGH. Don't feel like flying right now, actually. I need more than a day to get my balls to descend.

Has anything similar happened to you?

Rasputin
01-30-2013, 09:10 AM
I've been on a couple flights with heavy turbulance do to weather. They were kind of scarry. I laughed at one guy who had a wad of chew and spitting in a can, he dump it all over himself.

Another flight to Orlando Fl. the landing was horible thought that the jet was going to break apart in~mid~air only being on the ground.

seclark
01-30-2013, 09:13 AM
several years ago. flight from okc to kc. bad fog. wouldn't land in kc, so went to stl. couldn't land in stl, so went to indy. couldn't land in indy, so went back to stl, where it looked worse than the first time through, but they landed anyway. hit the ground so hard shit flew everywhere. a full can of pepsi exploded and shot foam all over.

had to rent a car and drive back to kc to get my car, then drive home to kv. terrible fuckin day.
sec

teedubya
01-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Yeah, that weather pattern between KC and Chicago was pretty intense. I've never experienced anything remotely like that in the air... and all my life I've had zero fear of flying... But, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't shitting bricks a bit about flying tomorrow morning.

Jewish Rabbi
01-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Yeah, that weather pattern between KC and Chicago was pretty intense.

HAARP?

teedubya
01-30-2013, 09:21 AM
HAARP?

ROFL :evil:

Maybe they knew I was on that plane??? Maybe it was an attempt to "suicide" me?

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/tinfoilhatsmile.gif

htismaqe
01-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Yeah, that weather pattern between KC and Chicago was pretty intense. I've never experienced anything remotely like that in the air... and all my life I've had zero fear of flying... But, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't shitting bricks a bit about flying tomorrow morning.

Head to your family doctor and tell him.

I fucking HATE flying, I've actually froze in the terminal before and missed my flight. So my doc gives me Xanax. :D

Last summer flew back from Dallas to Des Moines with 2 severe T-storm cells bracketing the Des Moines airport, one to the SW and one to the NE.

The pilot turned a 30-minute approach into a 5-minute PLUNGE to the runway. People around me were crying. I just smiled.

tooge
01-30-2013, 09:22 AM
came home from vegas once and had to come down into KCI through intense thunderstorms. I swear to god, the Pilot told the flight attendands to "take your seats immediately" right after telling all of us "it is pretty rough weather but were going to TRY to poke on through it". Really? Try? I about came out of my seat several times. didn't fly for a couple years after that.

durtyrute
01-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Whoa that's crazy. I'm glad you're okay man.

tooge
01-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Head to your family doctor and tell him.

I ****ing HATE flying, I've actually froze in the terminal before and missed my flight. So my doc gives me Xanax. :D

Last summer flew back from Dallas to Des Moines with 2 severe T-storm cells bracketing the Des Moines airport, one to the SW and one to the NE.

The pilot turned a 30-minute approach into a 5-minute PLUNGE to the runway. People around me were crying. I just smiled.

thats me now. a couple bloody marys, xanax on the flight, and it's all good for me.

Lzen
01-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Wife and I took a plane to Tampa, FL in spring 2009. It was very turbulent for a large chunk of the flight. Never been on a flight with that much turbulence and for that long.

She has always hated flying but I'm usually okay with it. But this flight made me feel a little nauseous. And she was very sick by the time we got on the ground. Thank God the guy sitting by us has a nurse for a wife. He knew to get her an ice pack to help with the nausea.

teedubya
01-30-2013, 09:25 AM
came home from vegas once and had to come down into KCI through intense thunderstorms. I swear to god, the Pilot told the flight attendands to "take your seats immediately" right after telling all of us "it is pretty rough weather but were going to TRY to poke on through it". Really? Try? I about came out of my seat several times. didn't fly for a couple years after that.

Oh man... yeah, that sounds similar to what I went through last night. I have to "cowboy up" and fly tomorrow at 6:30... fuuuuu

I may have to take htismaqe's advice and get a prescription today or something... maybe 2 pills. One for the flight to New Orleans and one for the way back.

seclark
01-30-2013, 09:26 AM
thats me now. a couple bloody marys, xanax on the flight, and it's all good for me.

the issue i had, they started passing out free drinks at 10:30am. i knew then something was up.
sec

AndChiefs
01-30-2013, 09:27 AM
I had a scary one when I was taking off from Lima, Peru a few years ago. Immediately after takeoff the plane went significantly lower in power and we started losing altitude. My buddy and I looked at each other and both of us thought we were going down.

Shortly after we powered back up and went to normal cruising altitude and continued on with the flight. Two hours later the pilot came over the intercom, "Some of you were wondering what happened after takeoff. The tower had us take off directly at a landing plane so we had to descend quickly to duck underneath it." Scary stuff.

FloridaMan88
01-30-2013, 09:28 AM
5 years ago I was flying on a small plane from Miami to Gainesville, FL and there were two hurricanes off the coast of Florida, in addition to the usual Florida summer thunderstorms.

For the entire flight the plane jumped up and plunged down several hundred feet (at least). Several people on the plane were throwing up from motion sickness and the only flight attendant on the airplane was crying and praying.

I took 4 Tylenol PM tablets to knock myself out and when I woke up, we had landed at the Gainesville airport and the plane was a mess... food, beverages spilled everywhere, and several passengers had bruises and scratches (I had a large bruise on my knee apparently from banging my knee against the seat in front me during the turbulence).

teedubya
01-30-2013, 09:31 AM
5 years ago I was flying on a small plane from Miami to Gainesville, FL and there were two hurricanes off the coast of Florida, in addition to the usual Florida summer thunderstorms.

For the entire flight the plane jumped up and plunged down several hundred feet (at least). Several people on the plane were throwing up from motion sickness and the only flight attendant on the airplane was crying and praying.

I took 4 Tylenol PM tablets to knock myself out and when I woke up, we had landed at the Gainesville airport and the plane was a mess... food, beverages spilled everywhere, and several passengers had bruises and stratches (I had a large bruise on my knee apparently from banging my knee against the seat in front me during the turbulence).

Holy shit, man...

You know... in the grand scheme of things, it's amazing how few plane crashes there are... I kept telling myself that last night. Trying to psyche myself up... Oh, planes don't crash...

HolyHat
01-30-2013, 09:33 AM
I was in Chicago for a speaking event at the University of Chicago's School of Business yesterday... and my flight kept getting delayed from 5pm to 7:30pm... to finally 10:15pm. And the flight from Chicago to KC felt like it was going to crash.

That was the most intense, turbulent flight, out of easily over 100 flights that, I've ever experienced... I was lifted up off my seat several times and it shook open overhead bins. The pilot fought to keep the wings balanced through approximately 45 minutes of thinking this may be my last day on Earth.

I'm still nauseous, although grateful to be alive and on the ground... count your blessings today and hug your loved ones. You never know when it's your time to leave this rock. ♥

Now tomorrow morning, I fly to New Orleans. UGH. Don't feel like flying right now, actually. I need more than a day to get my balls to descend.

Has anything similar happened to you?

Last night was crazy windy, and with the storm that was brewing im surprised they didnt delay you until today.

htismaqe
01-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Holy shit, man...

You know... in the grand scheme of things, it's amazing how few plane crashes there are... I kept telling myself that last night. Trying to psyche myself up... Oh, planes don't crash...

Yeah, dude you know me. Mr. Gotta Look At This Rationally. I'm scared to death of flying but the statistics just aren't there.

You have a better chance of getting mauled to death by a rabid badger than dying in a plane crash.

teedubya
01-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Last night was crazy windy, and with the storm that was brewing im surprised they didnt delay you until today.

I would have preferred to delay it, actually. I'd like to see a satellite photo of that storm... anyone know where they keep those?

HemiEd
01-30-2013, 09:38 AM
1970, flying a HU16D (the military version of the sea plane you saw on fantasy island) from Guam to Okinawa. Port side generator went out ( I am the AE, electrician on the flight) then the starboard one went out (old carbon pile voltage regulators) so we were just running on the APU. I had the overhead compartment to the wing apart working on the right regulator, with everything totally hot, and luckily got it fixed.

Flying an old H34D Helicopter, we lost a tail rotor. My Captain was an old salt with lots and lots of hours. He instantly got the air speed up as high as it would go so the air across the fuselage kept the copter from going 360, and he landed that old magnesium thing at over 90 knots on the runway.

Lots of deals like this, but in Civilian aircraft there has only been one scary one. Weather like you described had the plane dropping 40 to 50 feet at a time instantly.

htismaqe
01-30-2013, 09:39 AM
I would have preferred to delay it, actually. I'd like to see a satellite photo of that storm... anyone know where they keep those?

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/

SAUTO
01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
flying back from new york city we dropped so much the flight attendants fell down and the tough new york guys were screaming like little girls.

then they got on the intercom and asked for special agent jeff lanza to the cockpit immediately. this was in 2002 BTW.

yeah we thought we were going down

dmahurin
01-30-2013, 09:44 AM
I flew from KCI to Vegas a few years ago and right after takeoff we started to bank to the left. The pilot banked to hard and the engine cut out. We dropped about 100 feet of altitude in no time flat. He got the plane leveled out and the engine started. Climbed a little more and went to turn again and the engine did it again. The second time we dropped even further. I had a window seat facing down at the ground. I was convinced I was dead. I'll never fly fun jet again.

okoye35chiefs
01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
i used to fly quite often from NE to Virginia for a 4 year period every month or so and I have been on some horrible prop job planes.. def thought we were going down a few times.

now that I am older I really HATE FLYING...

NewChief
01-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Flew back from Nashville in November and our arrival was with the leading edge of a serious storm. Like, we arrived when the wind gusts and shit from the storm are going nuts.

I'm like you and usually have zero issues with flying, but this scared the shit out of me. The scariest part to me were the 50-75 foot sudden DROPs in altitude. I kept thinking, "What if that happens when we're 50-75 feet above the ground?" We were also wobbly as hell just prior to landing. We literally burst into applause when we landed.

We were on a little bitty jet as well. Like a 30 passenger one.

Fish
01-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Just saw the movie Flight last night. Fuck that noise......

rageeumr
01-30-2013, 09:48 AM
I was flying to Atlanta one time (probably 2002ish) and hit some really rough air. I think it must have caught the pilots off guard or something, because usually there's some sort of warning (flight attendants take your seats, etc). There was none of that. All of a sudden I'm damn near airborne and I have to stretch to catch my laptop that has bounced off the tray in front of me. It was a real chore putting my computer away without bashing my head into the seat in front of me. There was probably a half hour or so of pretty aggressive elevation changes and bouncing around.

Nothing like what others have described, but bad enough that pretty much everyone on the plane was looking around nervously.

loochy
01-30-2013, 09:49 AM
I always kind of got a kick out of turbulence. I think it's kind of fun AND I enjoy seeing the freaked out people.

01-30-2013, 09:53 AM
I flew from Key west to Miami in a propeller job back in 1996. only flying at 9,000 ft. the weather in key west was sunny and 82 degrees, in Miami it was raining and 65 degrees. we flew right through this purple cloud and all hell broke loose. the soda flew out of my cup and stuck to the ceiling, my ass was off the seat by like 3 inches for about 7 or 8 seconds (seat belt was tightened after that) and the drink cart almost started flying around the cabin. I bent the arm rest and thought I bought the farm. even the flight attendant was scared. needless to say I kissed the ground in Miami.

Never again with propellers

HolyHat
01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Flying in general is just a huge pain the ass anymore, I'd rather drive at this point

loochy
01-30-2013, 09:55 AM
I flew from Key west to Miami in a propeller job back in 1996. only flying at 9,000 ft. the weather in key west was sunny and 82 degrees, in Miami it was raining and 65 degrees. we flew right through this purple cloud and all hell broke loose. the soda flew out of my cup and stuck to the ceiling, my ass was off the seat by like 3 inches for about 7 or 8 seconds (seat belt was tightened after that) and the drink cart almost started flying around the cabin. I bent the arm rest and thought I bought the farm. even the flight attendant was scared. needless to say I kissed the ground in Miami.

Never again with propellers

wtf?

ghost of jimi?

DMAC
01-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Turbulence has never bothered me.

The only thing that ever scared me was landing in LV and when the pilot was turning around to hit the runway, he banked too far and the engines went quiet and we dropped for a second. Heard them kick back on and everything was fine.

I'm assuming we stalled. That split second I thought we were going down.

Ecto-I
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Yeah, dude you know me. Mr. Gotta Look At This Rationally. I'm scared to death of flying but the statistics just aren't there.

You have a better chance of getting mauled to death by a rabid badger than dying in a plane crash.

When I used to go to college in San Luis Obsipo, I had to take one of those small commuter planes from LA to SLO. Those things were awful. Almost every flight had turbulence, and many were pretty scary. Then I start to think "well, I wonder if the FAA thinks 'gee, there's only 20 people on this flight so a crash wouldn't be a COMPLETE disaster'".

But yes, the bottom line is planes don't crash. As scary as it is to think that a bunch of people are bunched into this metal capsule just barreling through the sky at 20,000 ft, flying is probably the safest means of travel.

Otter
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Worst flight was landing in Chicago during some wicked turbulance. The guy behind me threw up and was crying. I figured if we actually crash it was going to be quick but it was not fun.

That was a white knucle experience for all. Even the flight attendents couldn't put on a smiley face when we landed.

seclark
01-30-2013, 10:00 AM
I always kind of got a kick out of turbulence. I think it's kind of fun AND I enjoy seeing the freaked out people.

especially when they come walking out of the bathroom w/piss splattered all over their pants and a :mad: on their face.
sec

jiveturkey
01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
I've had a couple of bad ones.

Last winter flying to Denver I'm pretty sure that we got hit by a missile over Salina. There was a loud bang followed by crazy turbulence.

I also flew back to KC behind a storm last spring and a wind gust turned our plane sideways right as we were about to land. They hit the gas and we went to Wichita for a couple of hours to wait it out. I was supposed to get home at 8pm but it was 3am when I finally got to my car. I'll take late every time.

Discuss Thrower
01-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Yeah, the ones I were flying at the time.

Stanley Nickels
01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
I'm such a goddamn pussy, especially considering how often I fly. My most frequent route-- between KC and Philly-- isn't really ever that bad, but I get so anxious and sweaty at the slightest turbulence.

I haven't ever been through overhead-bin-opening levels of turbulence, but I have done the ol' zero G anus pucker a number of times. The worst flights are between KC and Grand Cayman (well, between DFW and Grand Cayman); I've done that flight three times and never NOT had a panic attack.

The funniest flying-related mishap, ironically, is on one of the few flights that went remarkably smoothly. The wife and I were on our honeymoon this summer, flying from Paris-Orly into Florence. We're on the descent into Florence, about 100 feet above the runway, as smooth a landing as I can remember, and the captain jerks the plane directly upward, as though he were taking off. We circle Florence a few times (and I, of course, am terrified that the landing gear has failed), before the captain notifies us that "the winds are too strong, we must fly into Bologna". The WINDS ARE TOO STRONG? Everything was FINE! Get into Bologna, the charter buses they said would be there were an hour late-- we found fellow Americans and had planned to split the cost of shuttle service to Florence if the buses simply didn't show-- and ended up getting into Florence at 3 am.

The Franchise
01-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Flying back into South Dakota with my family when I was about 13-14. We're in the process of descending to land during a snow storm......when a huge gust of wind pushes down the left wing. I was young....so it looked like the wing was about to slam into the ground (we weren't very far off of it). All I know is as we were leaving....the stewardess was crying and the pilot was white as a sheet.

Rain Man
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM
I've never had anything that was close, though I've had a few instances where I've briefly had some questions about the process.

1. I was on a flight from Chicago to Charleston once when the pressurization system failed. We didn't get the oxygen masks, but my ears started popping quite a bit and the pilot turned us around and we went back to Chicago.

2. I was on a little plane in Nepal headed to some little place in Nepal. The plane nosed down and was obviously on a landing trajectory, but I could see out the front window and there wasn't a landing field anywhere. Eventually I realized that it was a grass field and all was fine. However, on the way out I discovered that the villagers would graze their sheep and goats or whatever on the field, and they would blow a whistle when a plane came in so the people could herd them off the runway. Yeesh.

3. I've had a few turbulence incidents and I really don't like turbulence, but I've had nothing as bad as other people describe.

When DaFace and I were on a trip to Louisville or Dayton or some place a few years back, I saw the biggest, nastiest thunderstorm that I've ever seen from a plane. Black, boiling clouds, lightning all over the place, it looked like a portal to hell. I was hoping we weren't flying into it, but the pilot navigated us around the side. The Midwest really gets the most spectacular thunderstorms imaginable.

Johnny Vegas
01-30-2013, 10:26 AM
where I live is in a valley and landing in it is absolutely gut wrenching. I'm used to the terrible landings anymore that it doesn't bother me and more just a normal routine. Besides if you're in a plane and it goes down mid flight the lack of oxygen and the sudden drop would make you pass out before you hit the ground so you wouldn't even know if you're about to die.

Rain Man
01-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Oh, speaking of valleys, has anyone else flown into Telluride? There should not be an airport in that place. You're flying between mountains and the edge of the runway is basically a cliff, and the winds between the mountains throw you around in the process. I don't think I'm flying into that town again unless there's a really compelling reason.

htismaqe
01-30-2013, 10:33 AM
When DaFace and I were on a trip to Louisville or Dayton or some place a few years back, I saw the biggest, nastiest thunderstorm that I've ever seen from a plane. Black, boiling clouds, lightning all over the place, it looked like a portal to hell. I was hoping we weren't flying into it, but the pilot navigated us around the side. The Midwest really gets the most spectacular thunderstorms imaginable.

Big thunderstorms look cool from a plane. They're about the only thing that go up higher than the plane does...

Rain Man
01-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Big thunderstorms look cool from a plane. They're about the only thing that go up higher than the plane does...

You can definitely get a good perspective on them. But I'd rather not see them. Those people who fly planes into hurricanes face no job competition from me.

notorious
01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Wimps.

I have had two engine failures in a single engine aircraft. One happened at 1 am southeast of Amarrilo and the other was around Lyons.

Threw a rod on the first and broken crankshaft on the second.

Rain Man
01-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Wimps.

I have had two engine failures in a single engine aircraft. One happened at 1 am southeast of Amarrilo and the other was around Lyons.

Threw a rod on the first and broken crankshaft on the second.

Don't just stop the stories there. Did you survive?

mikeyis4dcats.
01-30-2013, 10:46 AM
flew into Memphis once on a small (20 seat) turbojet. As we came in about 50 feet above the runway, we hit windshear, and had to bolter. The stewardess sits on a little jump seat on the back of the cockpit door, and she is visible near tears the turbulence has been so bad, and she about loses it. Took 3 attempts to land, and the only flight I've ever been on where the passengers clapped on the ground.

notorious
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Don't just stop the stories there. Did you survive?

Modern science was able to piece me back together.

LOCOChief
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM
When I was a kid my dad brought me with him on a business flight to Little Rock on a small twin enginge plane with about a dozen other business men on board. We flew into a violent thunderstorm that threw anything unsecured all over the cabin of the plane. Grown men were crying and praying out loud. Needless to say I was trippin, but dad remained cool.

Carlota69
01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Just saw the movie Flight last night. **** that noise......

Great movie!
I hate flying.
Flew to London on a Miller Beer chartered flight. Peolpe were partying liek crazy. Up and out of their seats drinkign all the free beer they could handle. I had never been on a flight like that. At one point the Captain gets on and says, "And to our left is Ireland". a few minutes alter the flight attendents are right next to me asking each other how they are going to get everyone to sit down becasue something was happening. Then the captian came on and said "I need eveyone in teir seats and buckled up. We are emergency landing and I dont want your head to hit the top of the plane" And then we dropped-BIGITME!!! Holy shit I was scared. All I could picture was emergency landing in a sheep field. Then we went right back up. When we landed in London, ambulances were surrounding us. Apparently someone ha d amajor medical emergency and as we were going down, someone stepped up as a doctor.

After I got home from that trip, it took me years to fly again.

One thing I do now is dramamine and valium or xanyx. Both combined really take care of the nerves and naseua.

RINGLEADER
01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Three times.

Recently flying into KC from LA and we drove straight into a thunderstorm. He tried to land twice but after getting spit out of the cloud a second time he turned tail and we went to Omaha to wait it out. If they would have opened the doors and let us out I would have finished that trip in a car. My P&M were watching the progress of the flight on the computer and told me they knew it was bad as the plane slowly made its way into a bright red glob of pixels on the screen and they saw the air speed go to 0 MPH. On the plane it felt like we went to 0 MPH too.

The second time was flying into Phoenix in the middle of 60 MPH winds. We were dropping, moving side-ways, up-and-down. The pilot was extending flaps, retracting flaps, and eventually I got the sense that he just pushed down to push through the layer of bad weather and got us through it. It was surreal though because while I'm seeing my impending doom, everyone else on the plane is laughing and whooping it up about how much fun they're having and how this is much better than the stupid rides at Disneyland. After we landed I had to immediately go and get on another plane for the next leg of my trip to KC via Greyhound Airways (aka Southwest, who back in the day would take you from Ontario, CA to Phoenix, then to Albuquerque, then to Oklahoma City, then to KC) which I dreaded, but it wasn't so bad taking off.

The first (and worst) time was taking a puddle-jumper from Victoria Island, BC to Seattle to go through customs. We were on final approach, everything was fine, then BOOM. Suddenly the plane is sideways and the pilot has the engines rev'd as high as they'll go as he tries to pull out before we hit the ground. Fortunately he succeeded. Afterwards the guy I was with was talking to the pilot and he said the ATC screwed up and had him descend into the jet wash of a 747 - which evidently was akin to running into a brick wall.

Anyway, I may not have crashed, but at least I got some material to post on ChiefsPlanet...

houstonwhodat
01-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Damn it's crazy up there in Tornado Alley ain't it?

seclark
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
flew from kv to mitchell, sd on a kingair for a quick meeting one time. my boss got airsick and puked all over everything. no one was frightened, but it stunk like holy hell.
sec

Frazod
01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
I'll see your rough 45 minute flight and raise you a 10 day crossing of the North Atlantic on a ship in January.

Wuss.

:harumph:

HemiEd
01-30-2013, 11:23 AM
I'll see your rough 45 minute flight and raise you a 10 day crossing of the North Atlantic on a ship in January.

Wuss.

You black shoe sea sailors have to pay that price, it is a given.

teedubya
01-30-2013, 11:43 AM
The scariest part to me were the 50-75 foot sudden DROPs in altitude.

That's what was getting me... that shit was nuts.... lifting me up out of my seat. If I hadn't had my seatbelt on, I'd of been flying all over the place.

Nzoner
01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Last year early flight back to KC from Vegas and feeling like total crap after six days of partying.Vegas was clear but we were aware there were storms pretty much everywhere ahead of us and shortly before flying over Denver the pilot came on and said,"sorry to have to report this folks but we have some nasty weather from here on in and there's no way around it so I'm going to do my best to go thru it.From here on everyone needs to stay buckled in including attendants and I'll make our ride as comfortable as possible."

Within the next few minutes it got real rocky,bins never flew open but there were more than a few puckered aholes on the flight.The captain actually was very good about updating us every five to ten minutes but imo it was overkill and made for even more of a scary flight.

Rain Man
01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Last year early flight back to KC from Vegas and feeling like total crap after six days of partying.Vegas was clear but we were aware there were storms pretty much everywhere ahead of us and shortly before flying over Denver the pilot came on and said,"sorry to have to report this folks but we have some nasty weather from here on in and there's no way around it so I'm going to do my best to go thru it.From here on everyone needs to stay buckled in including attendants and I'll make our ride as comfortable as possible."

Within the next few minutes it got real rocky,bins never flew open but there were more than a few puckered aholes on the flight.The captain actually was very good about updating us every five to ten minutes but imo it was overkill and made for even more of a scary flight.

On a different topic, I'm really getting annoyed at the constant and increasing loudspeaker gabbing on airlines. I want an update from the pilot if something is going on, but I need the airlines to stop gabbing at me over that thing. It's annoying.

It seems like recently the plane will land and my wife and I will start to figure out our plans. The conversation goes like this:

Me: Okay our rental car is at -

Airline: WE HAVE NOW LANDED THE PLANE. KEEP YOUR ARMS AND LEGS INSIDE THE WINDOWS AT ALL TIMES. IF YOU HAVE TRASH, TAKE IT WITH YOU.

Me: It's at Thrifty. I got us a full-

Airline: WE WANT TO THANK YOU FOR FLYING WITH NOLEGROOM AIRLINES. WE REALIZE THAT YOU HAVE A CHOICE AND APPRECIATE YOU FLYING WITH US.

Wife: Do you want to go to lunch first or -

Airline: FEEL FREE TO TAKE YOUR INFLIGHT MAGAZINE IF YOU LIKE. ALSO, SKYMALL IS HAVING A SPECIAL PRICE ON GLOW IN THE DARK ASTRONAUT PENS.

Wife: So anyway, Chili's or that little restaurant down the -

Airline: THE GLOW IN THE DARK ASTRONAUT PENS ARE ON PAGE 56 OF THE SKYMALL CATALOG. THE TEMPERATURE OUTSIDE IS 56 DEGREES, AND THE RELATIVE HUMIDITY IS 30 PERCENT. THE WINDS ARE 5 MILES PER HOUR FROM THE NORTH/NORTHWEST.

Me: I'd like to stop and get a souvenir magnet before -

Airline: I KNOW I MENTIONED THIS BEFORE, BUT WE'D LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR FLYING WITH US. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ORDER OUR CREDIT CARD, YOU'LL GET 8,000 FREQUENT FLYER MILES AND THE TERMS OF CREDIT ARE 36 PERCENT PER YEAR WITH FEES ON VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING YOU DO.

Wife: Let's just wait and talk once we get off the pl-

Airline: THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPED OVER THE LAZY DOG. HAVE I MENTIONED THE CREDIT CARD THING YET? IF YOU HAVE EARPHONES, GIVE THEM BACK NOW OR YOU CAN PURCHASE OUR EARPHONE PLAN FOR ONLY $3.99 PER MONTH. YOU CAN ALSO PURCHASE OUR EARPHONE PLAN INSURANCE FOR AN ADDITIONAL $0.99 PER MONTH. I WILL NOW TURN THE MICROPHONE OVER TO OUR CAPTAIN SO HE CAN UPDATE YOU ON HIS PROCESS OF SHUTTING DOWN THE ENGINES.

Dartgod
01-30-2013, 12:23 PM
On approach into Minneapolis and the pilot overshot the runway. We were probably a 1/3 of the way down the runway and still a couple of hundred feet off the ground. They spooled up the engines and aborted the landing. It really didn't bother me that much, but the lady across the aisle from me was white as a ghost.

Johnny Vegas
01-30-2013, 12:24 PM
after landing where I live, in a valley---down by the river, as I was walking out of the plane the pilot came out of the cockpit and looked like he just got out of a pool after jumping in with clothes on. Sweat beads all over his forehead running down his face. That particular landing was like a 15 minute negative gravity effect. My stomach was lodged in my throat and I couldn't dislodge it till I was walking off the plane. It really is a shitty landing in any valley.

scho63
01-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Three times

First-In 1987 I was on an Ansett Airlines flight internally in Australia. There was a violent thunderstorm and we circled for over an hour trying to avoid landing in it. Unfortunately we were low on fuel and had to land. We dropped like a rock during a rapid decent for landing with lighting striking all around us. First time I was scared on a plane.

Second-Around 1994 I was traveling from Newark NJ to Hong Kong via Tokyo on United. We were around 2 hours outside of Tokyo finishing dinner service when our 747 started going up and down like a yo-yo. A food cart left the floor and was toppled, several people including flight attendants hit the sealing, food was spilled all over the cabin and I think I actually lightly pissed my pants. I remember my heart beating 100x's a minute. the turbulence lasted around 45 minutes and when we landed an ambulance greeted our flight. This become a common problem flying into Tokyo over the 20 flights I took. Always some turbulence in the same area over the Pacific.

Third-1994 My first flight into Hong Kong and Kai Tak airport on a 747 at night. I was alone and no one warned me about this. As you approach the airport, the plane needs to maneuver between all the mountains and the pilot cocks the plane on a 35% angle with sharp turns. I was against the window and as we kept turning and going lower, I began to see people in their apartments as the building were closer and higher than us. It seemed like forever and just before we landed, the plane straightened out. My hands had dug so hard into the arm rest. I was shit scared.

Nzoner
01-30-2013, 12:43 PM
On a different topic, I'm really getting annoyed at the constant and increasing loudspeaker gabbing on airlines. I want an update from the pilot if something is going on, but I need the airlines to stop gabbing at me over that thing. It's annoying.

Good as place as any to share this.My dad had all the Redd Foxx comedy albums when I was a kid and I recall one bit when Redd said he was flying and suddenly the plane dipped up and down then turned on a dime and did a few more tricks before leveling out and back to smooth when the pilot came on and said,"This is your captain,heh heh see what I just did there?" To which Redd said he yelled out,"Well this your $#%^&%$%^^% passenger come back here and see what i just did!!"

Rain Man
01-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Three times

First-In 1987 I was on an Ansett Airlines flight internally in Australia. There was a violent thunderstorm and we circled for over an hour trying to avoid landing in it. Unfortunately we were low on fuel and had to land. We dropped like a rock during a rapid decent for landing with lighting striking all around us. First time I was scared on a plane.

QANTAS. QANTAS never crashed.

ChiTown
01-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Three times

Second-Around 1994 I was traveling from Newark NJ to Hong Kong via Tokyo on United. We were around 2 hours outside of Tokyo finishing dinner service when our 747 started going up and down like a yo-yo. A food cart left the floor and was toppled, several people including flight attendants hit the sealing, food was spilled all over the cabin and I think I actually lightly pissed my pants. I remember my heart beating 100x's a minute. the turbulence lasted around 45 minutes and when we landed an ambulance greeted our flight. This become a common problem flying into Tokyo over the 20 flights I took. Always some turbulence in the same area over the Pacific.

Third-1994 My first flight into Hong Kong and Kai Tak airport on a 747 at night. I was alone and no one warned me about this. As you approach the airport, the plane needs to maneuver between all the mountains and the pilot cocks the plane on a 35% angle with sharp turns. I was against the window and as we kept turning and going lower, I began to see people in their apartments as the building were closer and higher than us. It seemed like forever and just before we landed, the plane straightened out. My hands had dug so hard into the arm rest. I was shit scared.

This x2

Flying over the Pacific is always fun LMAO

Flying into Hong Kong was cool, especially at night, looking into the apartments of people looking back at you.:p

scho63
01-30-2013, 01:11 PM
QANTAS. QANTAS never crashed.

Qantas didn't provide internal flights at the time. I also bought a "Kangaroo" airpass on Ansett for $599 that gave me 30 days of travel, 3 stops minimum 7 max, which I used, and 20% off all bus trips on Ansett travel.

I went to Melbourne, Adelaide, Alice Springs/Ayers Rock, Perth, Cairns, Brisbane, and Sydney.

Best trip of my life. I spent 32 days there and actually cancelled a week in Hawaii to add to my 3 weeks in Aussie.

teedubya
01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
I've been asked to speak at an event in Melbourne, Australia... and after that flight last night and reading other people's stories... especially flying over the Pacific, I'm not so sure that I want to do this.

I'm feeling like a big pussy today. lol

siberian khatru
01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
I've been asked to speak at an event in Melbourne, Australia... and after that flight last night and reading other people's stories... especially flying over the Pacific, I'm not so sure that I want to do this.

I'm feeling like a big pussy today. lol

You never know when the plane's roof might blow off (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243) or the cabin floor collapse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_811).

Carlota69
01-30-2013, 02:36 PM
You never know when the plane's roof might blow off (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243) or the cabin floor collapse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_811).

Thats fucked upROFL

teedubya
01-30-2013, 02:40 PM
That sure helps. :-P

Molitoth
01-30-2013, 02:41 PM
I flew into Chicago Midway one night when it was really foggy.
We busted through the fog and immediately were right above rooftops, at this point we hit the runway so hard my ass hurt and it scared the shit out of everyone on the plane.

That's been my only scare so far.

Easy 6
01-30-2013, 02:45 PM
Yep, coming home for leave from Alaska, surprised i didnt come away with a big white streak in my hair.

We had to switch planes in minneapolis for the run to chicago, and that was the worst experience of our lives... repeated lightning strikes to the plane, huge variations in altitude being forced onto it by winds, people were praying, the kids were with us, we were praying and holding each other tight.

When we finally landed even the stewardesses were visibly shaking like leaves, their voices quavering, and the captain etc didnt even bother to come up to say bye.

It SUCKED, and is the primary reason it will take an act of God to get me back into a plane again... i HATE that feeling of having O control over my own fate and the thought of having minutes to contemplate my own/family demise on the way down.

HemiEd
01-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Ok, the obligatory "Mid Air!" /frankie

GloryDayz
01-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Got picked up by a prolly-still-drunk, and angry, Huey pilot. Once I got past thinking I was going to die, it was just kind of exciting...

WilliamTheIrish
01-30-2013, 04:13 PM
I was on a flight from Dallas to Fresno that had me praying. The plane bounced around on the air like a pinball and had several of those "zero gravity" moments. Some of them lasting like 5-6 seconds where the plane just "drops". I've never had an experience worse than that. Seems to be very turbulent on that Dallas/Fresno path through the Sierra range.

Al Bundy
01-30-2013, 04:16 PM
I was on one several years ago from Houston back to KC. We had to land in Oklahoma City because of severe storms. We did the 500 feet drop.

bevischief
01-30-2013, 04:27 PM
I have flown several times along the gulf coast from Dallas to Gulf Port, Mississippi in a puddle jumper. Another time we were flying commercial from Atlanta to Philadelphia and the plane lost hydraulics on the left side of the aircraft and had to return to Atlanta about 30 minutes into the flight. I had a Air National Guard pilot sitting behind. We are dumping fuel is not a good thing to hear while in the air. The Air National Guard pilot was giving a play by play of what was going on. We only got from the pilot was we are having troubles. We land in Atlanta the sides of the runway was lined with emergency vehicles on both sides and all of the gates of that side of the airport were empty. They comped the room for the night and we about $25 to spend at the hotel for the night.

Hammock Parties
01-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Only every Chiefs playoff game I've ever watched.

KCFaninSEA
01-30-2013, 04:35 PM
I took a puddle jumper from Honolulu to Kauai in '95 where the cross winds were awful. I was on the window and as we were landing all I could see out the window was sky, ground, sky, ground. Over and over. Turbulence is one thing but landing in heavy cross winds was terrible. Sometimes it can be hairy getting into San Diego also. You wouldn't think that but it has been an adventure a couple of times for me there.

bevischief
01-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Having spent 3 years working on planes people wonder why I don't fly sober.

Strongside
01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XFHW3RMDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

candyman
01-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I flew out of LAX in route to KC in '01. There was a "Arabic looking" gentleman on the flight that had everyone on edge. He had a creepy smile on his face the entire flight and never spoke a word to anyone...just smiled. I thought for sure he was going to go all jihad on our asses.

bevischief
01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
I have crashed a F-18, F-16 and Space Shuttle Simulators not available to the public into the ground.

Strongside
01-30-2013, 04:48 PM
I flew out of LAX in route to KC in '01. There was a "Arabic looking" gentleman on the flight that had everyone on edge. He had a creepy smile on his face the entire flight and never spoke a word to anyone...just smiled. I thought for sure he was going to go all jihad on our asses.

Jesus, man. This is one sad side-effect of 9/11. It's cool though, I once felt nervous when I encountered an Asian on the Virginia Tech campus.

ct
01-30-2013, 04:53 PM

Wuss.

yea i hear that mayflower was quite a ride. glad you fought thru, major props to you for layin the foundation for this great nation. REP!

Strongside
01-30-2013, 04:54 PM
yea i hear that mayflower was quite a ride. glad you fought thru, major props to you for layin the foundation for this great nation. REP!

I think he was on the Titanic. The person you quoted is a member from beyond the grave.

oldman
01-30-2013, 05:08 PM
The worst one I was ever on was from St. Louis to KC on old Tightwad Air (TWA). My boss and I had been in an 3 day company-wide meeting and were about to return home when storms came up south of St. Louis. Lucky for us, we got away on time and were in the front, so we ordered a couple beers apiece and settled in for a quick flight home. We hadn't been in the air very long and it got rough enough the flight attendants had to take their seats. Lucky for us, we both had 2 Buds, so we were groovy. My boss didn't like to fly so he had finished his first one and just had opened his second when we must have been hit by lightning. Big bump, the cabin went dark, and we dropped hard enough to send his beer flying. I think there are still claw marks on the bottom of the overhead. From then until the time I left and moved to another job, we always drove to St. Louis and most of the time to Dallas.

munkey
01-30-2013, 05:10 PM
The first (and worst) time was taking a puddle-jumper from Victoria Island, BC to Seattle to go through customs. We were on final approach, everything was fine, then BOOM. Suddenly the plane is sideways and the pilot has the engines rev'd as high as they'll go as he tries to pull out before we hit the ground. Fortunately he succeeded. Afterwards the guy I was with was talking to the pilot and he said the ATC screwed up and had him descend into the jet wash of a 747 - which evidently was akin to running into a brick wall.

I had the same experience between Portland and Seattle...Not a fun flight what's so ever....:shake:

candyman
01-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Jesus, man. This is one sad side-effect of 9/11. It's cool though, I once felt nervous when I encountered an Asian on the Virginia Tech campus.

Im not proud of it, I know all too well how it feels to be discriminated against based on stereotypes but sometimes you just cant help it

mlyonsd
01-30-2013, 05:31 PM
My dad belonged to an air guard flying club that bought a single engine plane from someplace in Wisconsin. He went to pick it up and when flying home one of the engine cowling closures broke and the wind caused it to tip up to wear it was rubbing on the propeller. He set it down as quick as he could.

Strongside
01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Im not proud of it, I know all too well how it feels to be discriminated against based on stereotypes but sometimes you just cant help it

I'm sure it sucks to be you, Candyman.

"Guys, I swear, I'm a nice guy! The hook helps me ride my bike!"
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110926133118/villains/images/f/f4/Candyman.png

BlackHelicopters
01-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Was on a flight to LAX when we had to land suddenly due to entire fire.

Bwana
01-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Never fly TACA Airline (Take A Chance Airline) that is all.