PDA

View Full Version : Football The Super Bowl and Roman numerals: a match made in Kansas City

bevischief
01-31-2013, 01:40 PM
NEW ORLEANS – It is the most American of occasions, the showpiece of the most American of all sports, so why does the Super Bowl use Roman numerals to denote its grand event every year?

No other major American sport uses the Roman counting system, one formerly familiar to school kids around the country but now essentially obsolete to the iPad generation. Yet the Super Bowl persists with the tradition, has no desire or plan to change it, and the ancient characters will continue to appear just as they have since 1971.

That was the year when what was supposed to be Super Bowl 5 became Super Bowl V, at the insistence of pioneering sports entrepreneur Lamar Hunt, the owner of the Kansas City Chiefs and one of the most significant figures in the growth in the game’s popularity.

The Baltimore Colts emerged victorious that year, outlasting the Dallas Cowboys 16-13 thanks to a winning field goal in the dying seconds.

Lamar Hunt (Getty Images)Hunt was a man with plenty of ideas, most of them good. It was he who also coined the term Super Bowl ‐ coming from the children's toy, a "Super Ball" – and his numbering concept was considered successful enough to retain. The system has even been retroactively incorporated for Super Bowls I through IV.

"It was his brainchild," said Bob Moore, historian for the Chiefs. "I think people felt from the start that it had something to it, even if they couldn’t quite put their finger on exactly what it was. Before long it was just part of it. Now it wouldn’t be the same without it."

Hunt, who died aged 74 in 2006, was a stakeholder in seven different sports franchises and has been inducted into eight different ‘Halls of Fame’, but amid his multitude of achievements he was, according to his son, Clark, to be particularly proud of suggesting Roman numerals for the Super Bowl.

"It has been in place ever since," NFL official historian Joe Horrigan told Yahoo! Sports. "It is part of the Super Bowl culture, it is an established part of the magic of the Super Bowl.”

No discussions have been held to consider changing to a more common numbering system even with Super Bowl 50, sorry, Super Bowl L, just three years away.

"If you asked me to count up using Roman numbers I wouldn't even know how to do it," said San Francisco 49ers safety Donte Whitner. "But it's a good thing. It's the Super Bowl, man."

The fans love it too, according to a small sampling of opinion gathered on the streets of New Orleans on Wednesday afternoon.

"I don’t think you need anything to make the Super Bowl even more dramatic," said mother of three and Saints fan Ree Nygren. "But it does add something to it, it is kind of cool and timeless and important-sounding. There is no point in changing it, although it won’t be quite the same once it become Ls rather than Xs."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--the-super-bowl-and-roman-numerals--a-match-made-in-kansas-city-164002135.html

OmahaChief
01-31-2013, 01:44 PM
I had no idea that was Lamar's idea. Cool Story.

Prison Bitch
01-31-2013, 02:10 PM
No more crediting Hunt with "super bowl". College football already had their year end conf championship matchups titled "bowl". Orange bowl, sugar bowl, rose bowl, even the cotton bowl kn his home town had been going on for decades.

So he didn't invent crap. I'd argue he stole the idea actually, since e copied the Bowl part of the name anyway.

listopencil
01-31-2013, 02:27 PM
No more crediting Hunt with "super bowl". College football already had their year end conf championship matchups titled "bowl". Orange bowl, sugar bowl, rose bowl, even the cotton bowl kn his home town had been going on for decades.

So he didn't invent crap. I'd argue he stole the idea actually, since e copied the Bowl part of the name anyway.

After watching his children play with a Super Ball, Lamar Hunt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Hunt), founder of the American Football League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Football_League), coined the term Super Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl). In a July 25, 1966, letter to NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle, Hunt wrote, "I have kiddingly called it the 'Super Bowl,' which obviously can be improved upon." Although the leagues' owners decided on the name "AFL-NFL Championship Game," the media immediately picked up on Hunt's "Super Bowl" name, which would become official beginning with the third annual game.<sup id="cite_ref-toys-amaz_8-3" class="reference">[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Ball#cite_note-toys-amaz-8)</sup><sup id="cite_ref-17" class="reference">[17] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Ball#cite_note-17)</sup><sup id="cite_ref-huppke-lotb_18-0" class="reference">[18] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Ball#cite_note-huppke-lotb-18)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Ball
</sup>

Prison Bitch
01-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Since you didn't read my post, try reading it now.

listopencil
01-31-2013, 02:32 PM
Since you didn't read my post, try reading it now.

You talking to me? Because I read your post. You're wrong.

Prison Bitch
01-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Are you telling me I'm wrong about college "bowl" games being around several decades before Lamar's supposed bright idea?

Dayze
01-31-2013, 02:35 PM
somehow I don't think Donte Whitner can count to 50 using any numeric system.

listopencil
01-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Are you telling me I'm wrong about college "bowl" games being around several decades before Lamar's supposed bright idea?

I'm telling you that you're wrong that following a naming convention invalidates the creation of a new intellectual property.

BourbonMan
01-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Might as well change them to regular numbers...Roman Numerals represented the Romans during the Gladiator times, like we used to have..Gladiators on the field.

The NFL has become Pussified, so we might as well with the numbers II.

Deberg_1990
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
I prefer Super Bowl 47

Agent V
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
I like to just tell non-NFL fans that Lamar Hunt invented football.

Prison Bitch
01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm telling you that you're wrong that following a naming convention invalidates the creation of a new intellectual property.

Good, I'm glad you recognize he stole the idea from a long-established practice within the same exact industry. It seems we disagree only whether that makes him a creative genius, or a dorky copycat.

Amnorix
01-31-2013, 02:46 PM

errr....SUPER Bowl. SUPER BOWL. That's the name. The name he came up with. Not Cotton Bowl or Orange Bowl or FedEx AT&T Apple Hardee's Sugar Bowl, SUPER BOWL.

That's new. That's original, get it?

SUPER BOWL

listopencil
01-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Good, I'm glad you recognize he stole the idea from a long-established practice within the same exact industry. It seems we disagree only whether that makes him a creative genius, or a dorky copycat.

Go ahead and link the wildly popular professional football game that was referred to as the "Super Bowl" before he came up with the idea.

jjjayb
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
They are called McDonald's. We are McDowell's. They have the golden arches. We have the golden M. How much more different does it need to be?

listopencil
01-31-2013, 02:50 PM
https://static.prtst.net/asset-proxy/484cad33d020db7e1b7725d00062b1b5bbc2e5f5/687474703a2f2f6b6f74692e6d626e65742e66692f74696265396d6d2f54726f6c6c5f6661696c2e6a7067/http://koti.mbnet.fi/tibe9mm/Troll_fail.jpg

Prison Bitch
01-31-2013, 02:51 PM
errr....SUPER Bowl. SUPER BOWL. That's the name. The name he came up with. Not Cotton Bowl or Orange Bowl or FedEx AT&T Apple Hardee's Sugar Bowl, SUPER BOWL.

That's new. That's original, get it?

SUPER BOWL

It's neither a new idea, nor original.

Prison Bitch
01-31-2013, 02:52 PM
They are called McDonald's. We are McDowell's. They have the golden arches. We have the golden M. How much more different does it need to be?

You motherF!!!! I was just about to post the Big Mick speech by McDowell himself! How did you beat me to this?

listopencil
01-31-2013, 02:53 PM
You motherF!!!! I was just about to post the Big Mick speech by McDowell himself! How did you beat me to this?

Because you aren't all that quick witted?

Amnorix
01-31-2013, 02:53 PM
It's neither a new idea, nor original.

Oy.

NSFW

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RV-nDFpOJeU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Prison Bitch
01-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Because you aren't all that quick witted?

But you will admit: I get "creativity points" by your logic for pointing out a slightly different version of that movie scene. You see, I didn't really copy him-mine was technically diff.

And that makes all the difference in your feeble mind.

okoye35chiefs
01-31-2013, 03:01 PM
While Thomas Crapper is commonly given credit for inventing the first flushing toilet in the late 1800s, the first version can actually be traced back to John Harrington who invented the toilet bowl in 1596

He should get the credit then?

listopencil
01-31-2013, 03:02 PM
But you will admit: I get "creativity points" by your logic for pointing out a slightly different version of that movie scene. You see, I didn't really copy him-mine was technically diff.

And that makes all the difference in your feeble mind.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WAOxY_nHdew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach|
01-31-2013, 03:20 PM
So Prison Bitch is stupid and wrong in other places on Chiefs Planet...it is not just DC.

mr. tegu
01-31-2013, 03:24 PM
This thread went down the Crapper...err...Harringtoner real quick.

BlackHelicopters
01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Mo Claiborne completely understands this.

TribalElder
01-31-2013, 05:42 PM
So the super bowl got its name from one of Clark's toys

Roman numerals are cool but the L is gonna make people butt hurt.

Buns
01-31-2013, 05:48 PM
So the super bowl got its name from one of Clark's toys

I hope not. Why would people be butt hurt? Does anyone call it super bowl ecks el vee eye eye? I think most say super bowl forty seven.

htismaqe
01-31-2013, 06:02 PM

LOL WUT?

Dayze
01-31-2013, 06:04 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WAOxY_nHdew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO
That never gets old

Prison Bitch
01-31-2013, 07:47 PM
LMAO
That never gets old

It's about as original as Lamar's "idea".....

01-31-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm sick of the roman numerals. Its stupid.

Just call it the damn Superbowl. No numbers. No anything. Just Superbowl.

Shaid
01-31-2013, 07:58 PM
I like the roman numerals. It is part of the Super Bowl culture now. If you don't like it go back to prison and be someone's bitch. Oh wait....

Aries Walker
01-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Okay, I was going to try and be all diplomatic, but I don't feel like it.

Hey, dummy.

No one here is contending the fact that the Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl and whatever existed before 1971. They did. It's a fact. We all know that.

The Rose Bowl was named after the stadium more than a hundred years ago. The Cotton, Orange, and Sugar Bowls are came around in the '30s. Someone named each one. Were they all hopeless plagiarists and feckless copycats as well? No.

Just the same, neither was Lamar Hunt. In fact, he was the first to call a professional game a 'bowl game' - all of those others, if you'll notice, are college games. He could have called it the Great Bowl, or the Marvelous Bowl, or the Stupendous Bowl; instead, he came up with the word 'Super' because of his kid's toy, made a bad pun, and it stuck. It's all been documented and recorded and accepted by every person who cares about that sort of thing, except you. What is so difficult to grasp about all of this?

So you're clinging to your claim, and looking more like an idiot with each passing post. I don't know why. You could have just "Oh, how about that", and moved on. I'm guessing you don't want to lose face, or you want to Be Right At All Costs, or you're trying to Prove Yourself, or you're just an Internet dolt. I don't know. All I know about you is that you have an unfortunate nickname and you display yourself to the word as a sex-toy gimp.

Crush
01-31-2013, 08:15 PM
It's about as original as Lamar's "idea".....

It is official: You have the world's largest stick up your ass.

Monty
01-31-2013, 08:23 PM
It is official: You have the world's largest stick up your ass.

Hence the user name. ROFL

cdcox
01-31-2013, 08:54 PM
Kansas City has more fountains than anywhere but Rome.

TribalElder
01-31-2013, 10:16 PM
I hope not. Why would people be butt hurt? Does anyone call it super bowl ecks el vee eye eye? I think most say super bowl forty seven.

LOL WUT?

I think that when we get to 50 aka L most people will go full dumb dumb and not realize that L represents roman numerals and the complaints will flow. we shall see in a few years.

Amnorix
02-01-2013, 08:28 AM
I think that when we get to 50 aka L most people will go full dumb dumb and not realize that L represents roman numerals and the complaints will flow. we shall see in a few years.

Hard core Star Trek fans who are old enough will probably have heard this story, but apparently when they were doing marketing test runs or whatever they do for new shows for Deep Space Nine, they initially had the show named "Deep Space IX".

And people were like "'Deep Space ick?' Why the hell are you calling it that? That's a dumb name."

So yeah, "NINE", not "IX".

:rolleyes:

*note, could be urban legend, but I remember hearing about that very shortly after the show started.

bevischief
02-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Wow. Just wow.

mdchiefsfan
02-01-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm sick of the roman numerals. Its stupid.

Just call it the damn Superbowl. No numbers. No anything. Just Superbowl.

This. There is no AFC Championship 47.

Prison Bitch
02-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Hard core Star Trek fans who are old enough will probably have heard this story, but apparently when they were doing marketing test runs or whatever they do for new shows for Deep Space Nine, they initially had the show named "Deep Space IX".

And people were like "'Deep Space ick?' Why the hell are you calling it that? That's a dumb name."

So yeah, "NINE", not "IX".

:rolleyes:

*note, could be urban legend, but I remember hearing about that very shortly after the show started.

So Lamar's naming idea for "Bowl" was just lame, and his idea for Roman Numerals was just dumb. What a creative genius that man was.

Crush
02-01-2013, 10:08 AM
So Lamar's naming idea for "Bowl" was just lame, and his idea for Roman Numerals was just dumb. What a creative genius that man was.

You need to see a proctologist asap.

Aries Walker
02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Off topic: TribalElder, I like your avatar. An underrated actor, that one - although he's Oneida, not Osage, but I don't think he'd mind.