PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chip Kelly hires former Navy SEALs trainer for Eagles’ staff

malachi47000
02-10-2013, 08:34 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/09/chip-kelly-hires-former-navy-seals-trainer-for-eagles-staff/

When the Eagles announced new head coach Chip Kelly’s full coaching staff, one of the names on the list was Shaun Huls, the new sports science coordinator.

That raises a couple of questions: Who is Shaun Huls, and what is a sports science coordinator?

According to USA Today, Huls was the strength, conditioning and combatives coordinator for Navy Special Warfare, meaning he was training Navy SEALs before he took a job in which he’ll be training the Eagles.

That’s a surprising background for someone to become an NFL assistant coach, but with Kelly, maybe it shouldn’t come as a surprise. In a 2010 interview with the New York Times, Kelly said that in preparing his Oregon team for the up-tempo style that he prefers, he employed a lot of the same conditioning techniques that he had learned about from studying the way the Navy SEALs train.

“You see how they train the Navy SEALs,” Kelly said. “They squirt them with water, play loud music and do all these other things when they have to perform a task. That’s how we practice. We want to bombard our kids.”

With sports science coordinator Shaun Huls on the staff, the players on the Eagles should prepare to be bombarded with some intense offseason conditioning.

Andy Reid take note! I think they should incorporate this within the Chiefs organization as well.

mdchiefsfan
02-10-2013, 08:37 AM
NFLPA will be addressing this shortly. Bunch of whiners.

Canofbier
02-10-2013, 08:40 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/09/chip-kelly-hires-former-navy-seals-trainer-for-eagles-staff/

When the Eagles announced new head coach Chip Kelly’s full coaching staff, one of the names on the list was Shaun Huls, the new sports science coordinator.

That raises a couple of questions: Who is Shaun Huls, and what is a sports science coordinator?

According to USA Today, Huls was the strength, conditioning and combatives coordinator for Navy Special Warfare, meaning he was training Navy SEALs before he took a job in which he’ll be training the Eagles.

That’s a surprising background for someone to become an NFL assistant coach, but with Kelly, maybe it shouldn’t come as a surprise. In a 2010 interview with the New York Times, Kelly said that in preparing his Oregon team for the up-tempo style that he prefers, he employed a lot of the same conditioning techniques that he had learned about from studying the way the Navy SEALs train.

“You see how they train the Navy SEALs,” Kelly said. “They squirt them with water, play loud music and do all these other things when they have to perform a task. That’s how we practice. We want to bombard our kids.”

With sports science coordinator Shaun Huls on the staff, the players on the Eagles should prepare to be bombarded with some intense offseason conditioning.

Andy Reid take note! I think they should incorporate this within the Chiefs organization as well.

I can see this backfiring with veteran NFL players.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Good for them I guess.

malachi47000
02-10-2013, 08:46 AM
I can see this backfiring with veteran NFL players.

Will be interesting to see how much leeway he will get on this, and if it becomes successful at the NFL level.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Still won't make Foles a legit QB, so unless they get one....FAIL

TribalElder
02-10-2013, 09:17 AM
They should be good if it's raining I guess

stonedstooge
02-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Waterboarding NFL players?

RealSNR
02-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Remember when we had that olympic sprinter try out at WR during training camp and everybody thought he'd be awesome? John Capel I think his name was?

Yeah, I see this working out the same way.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-10-2013, 09:21 AM
All the negative comments.ROFL If he were hired by the Chiefs everyone would be estatic, as would I.

stonedstooge
02-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Remember when we had that olympic sprinter try out at WR during training camp and everybody thought he'd be awesome? John Capel I think his name was?

Yeah, I see this working out the same way.

Bob Hayes says hey!

RealSNR
02-10-2013, 09:22 AM
All the negative comments.ROFL If he were hired by the Chiefs everyone would be estatic, as would I.

I wouldn't give a shit.

"Ecstatic?" You'd honestly be ecstatic?

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-10-2013, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't give a shit.

"Ecstatic?" You'd honestly be ecstatic?

Yep, somehting like that.

CoMoChief
02-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Good for Chip Kelly and the Eagles

Now I'm gonna go back to not giving a **** like I was doing before.

Deberg_1990
02-10-2013, 09:26 AM
I remember when Steve Spurrier was a "HOT" prospect for NFL head coach......

RealSNR
02-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Why stop at a Navy SEAL doing all the strength and conditioning? Why not hire Tamba Hali's ju-jitsu guy to be the assistant defensive line coach? Why not hire a Sumo wrestling coach for the offensive line? Why not hire Mel Kiper as our director of scouting?

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Why stop at a Navy SEAL doing all the strength and conditioning? Why not hire Tamba Hali's ju-jitsu guy to be the assistant defensive line coach? Why not hire a Sumo wrestling coach for the offensive line? Why not hire Mel Kiper as our director of scouting?

I think these are all good ideas , except for the Mel Kiper thingy !

Chris Meck
02-10-2013, 09:46 AM
"Here's what we're going to do, guys. Get IN the portapotty and shut the door. Open the door real fast and try to catch the ball."

Ace Gunner
02-10-2013, 10:02 AM
they should hire tim krumrie too.

BlackHelicopters
02-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Hopefully the Eagles can beat Navy ths year.

Pablo
02-10-2013, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't give a shit.

"Ecstatic?" You'd honestly be ecstatic?OH SWEET A SEAL ON ARE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOP WOOP.

Demonpenz
02-10-2013, 10:20 AM
"Here's what we're going to do, guys. Get IN the portapotty and shut the door. Open the door real fast and try to catch the ball."

and the chiefs always lead the league in drops LMAO

evolve27
02-10-2013, 10:44 AM
It pays to be a winner. The only easy day was yesterday. Getting grown ass men to work that Chip Kelly offense is gonna be torture.

LoneWolf
02-10-2013, 10:57 AM
I also heard Jesse Ventura is going to be a visitor at training camp. Will be the first time he's actually witnessed what SEAL training looks like.

Also, Demi Moore is going to assist in training the cheerleaders. They will officially be called the Philadelphia Janes.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-10-2013, 10:58 AM

After the slap test and porta-potty drill, not so much.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-10-2013, 11:45 AM
and the chiefs always lead the league in drops LMAO

New meaning to the words "Couldn't catch shit"

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-10-2013, 11:47 AM
OH SWEET A SEAL ON ARE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOP WOOP.

Goddamn Pablo IT'S OUR not ARE. Jesus Christ !:$2500:

Valiant
02-10-2013, 02:53 PM
If he can get the players on board, it will be interesting to see the uptempo offense.. Hell you see bits of it with the Pats and Peyton.. Imagine it up another level..

mcan
02-10-2013, 03:16 PM
It's going to be hard to get pros to do this. Great idea, but training like a SEAL takes hours and hours... With the CBA the way it is, you won't get any time to work with players on things like... playing the game. Unless they do all their training on their OWN time. Which, lets face it... They won't.

crossbow
02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Are the Eagles going to send drones to the oposing team's sidelines now? That would go beyond the Jets assistant that tripped players who ran past him during a game.

chiefzilla1501
02-10-2013, 04:34 PM
I don't know that I get this or if Kelly is trying to get too cute. I get that this will help with conditioning and discipline, but isn't there a lot to be said for developing the right kind of muscles and agility, etc... for the position you play, rather than just saying a general goal is to get fitter and stronger? Maybe I'm being naive, but shouldn't we trust that the best qualified for football training?

Then again... this guy sounds like he may be coming in as a consultant. In which case, cool idea to bring outside expertise in to see if you can try something that's never been tried before.

mcan
02-10-2013, 04:47 PM
I don't know that I get this or if Kelly is trying to get too cute. I get that this will help with conditioning and discipline, but isn't there a lot to be said for developing the right kind of muscles and agility, etc... for the position you play, rather than just saying a general goal is to get fitter and stronger? Maybe I'm being naive, but shouldn't we trust that the best qualified for football training?

Then again... this guy sounds like he may be coming in as a consultant. In which case, cool idea to bring outside expertise in to see if you can try something that's never been tried before.

I think a good base of fitness and strength would be beneficial for any pro athlete. That said there is something to say for specificity when it comes to developing muscle memory for specific tasks, and not overworking yourself. It's great to be able to bench 400lbs, but is that necessary for any football activity? Also, people forget about how important your workout routine is for your longevity. Certainly a kicker would not be using his time very well running up sand dunes. Morton Anderson kicked until he was 50 because he had a very specific work out regimin that focused entirely on what helped him as a kicker.

http://www.mortenandersen.com/main/kickingservices

tk13
02-10-2013, 04:54 PM
The good news is if they suck at football, at least they can kill the terrorists.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-10-2013, 04:56 PM
The good news is if they suck at football, at least they can kill the terrorists.

http://news.discovery.com/history/a-us-navy-seals-secret-weapon-elite-dog-team-110503.htm

Vick won't be invited.