PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Maker's Mark to reduce alcohol content

Stewie
02-11-2013, 08:19 AM
If you like to enjoy your Maker's Mark with a little water, then there's good news. You won't need to add your own water anymore because the distillery will do it for you. The Kentucky distillery behind Maker's Mark is taking some of the alcohol out of their product, going from 90 proof to 84 proof. "Fact is, demand for our bourbon is exceeding our ability to make it," wrote Maker's Mark executives Rob Samuels and Bill Samuels Jr. in an email to clients.

It's really a pretty ingenious way to deal with supply and demand. If you water down your bourbon, you can make more bottles to sell, and when you've lowered the alcohol content of your bourbon, nobody will buy it anymore. Problem solved!

http://now.msn.com/makers-mark-waters-down-bourbon

QuikSsurfer
02-11-2013, 08:20 AM
I'll still drink it on regular basis.

Braincase
02-11-2013, 08:23 AM
You don't mess with a winning recipe.

The Poz
02-11-2013, 09:22 AM
A response to customer feedback from the Chair

A lot of people took the time to share their thoughts regarding our recent announcement. We always appreciate open and honest conversation about Maker’s Mark and we’ve gotten plenty of feedback, both supportive and otherwise. Because there are so many comments, it’s hard for an old guy like me to respond, particularly 140 characters at a time. Now that I’ve had time to compose my thoughts, please allow me to try to answer most of the questions we’re hearing.

And by the way, I asked Rob if I could write this response since many people have wondered if I’m on board with the decision to lower the alcohol-by-volume (ABV) level. I am, and here’s why.

First, it’s important to understand that our primary focus now and for the past 50 years hasn’t changed. It’s product quality and consistency, batch-to-batch, year-to-year, with the primary measure of that consistency being the unique Maker’s Mark taste profile. That’s all that truly matters in the end.

Since we’re a one-brand company that’s never purchased bourbon from other distillers when supplies are short, forecasting is very difficult. Over the years, our one variable that helps us avoid market shortages has been the age of the whisky in the Maker’s bottle. That range is between five years nine months and seven years. Because Maker’s Mark is aged to taste, Dad never put a specific age statement on the bottle. It wasn’t the age that mattered; it was the taste, the quality and the consistency.

Some people are asking why we didn’t just raise the price if demand is an issue. We don’t want to price Maker’s Mark out of reach. Dad’s intention when he created this brand was to make good-tasting bourbon accessible and to bring more fans into the fold, not to make it exclusive. And, with regard to the price, the value of Maker’s Mark isn’t set by alcohol volume. It’s about the quality of the recipe and ingredients that go into it, all the handcrafting that goes into the production and how it tastes.

Some of you have questioned how we reduce the alcohol content. The fact is, other than barrel-strength bourbons, all bourbons are cut with water to achieve the desired proof for bottling. This is a natural step in the bourbon-making process. Maker’s Mark has always been made this way and will continue to be made this way.

As we looked at potential solutions to address the shortage, we agreed again that the most important thing was whether it tastes the same. The distillery made up different batches that Rob and I tested every evening over the course of a month. Every batch at 42% ABV had the same taste profile that we’ve always had. Then, we validated our own tastings with structured consumer research and the Tasting Panel at the distillery, who all agreed: there’s no difference in the taste.

For those of you who have questioned if the supply problem is real, I can assure you that it is. While not every part of the country has seen shortages yet, many have, and the demand is continuing to grow at a pace we’ve never before experienced. While we are investing today to expand capacity for the future, by producing 42% ABV Maker’s Mark we’ll be able to better meet our ongoing supply issues without compromising the taste.

Ultimately, all I can ask is that you reserve judgment until you actually taste the whisky, like I did. If you can make it down to the distillery, we’re doing tastings every day with the 42% ABV whisky to give you a first-hand opportunity to try it for yourself. If you can’t make it to the distillery, please give it a try when it gets to your city. And please write me back at that point. I want to hear what you think.

In the meantime, I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to write. It shows that you care about Maker’s Mark, and that’s what we’ve been striving for over the past 50 years. I hope you’ll give us the chance to continue earning that devotion and allow us to prove that we didn’t screw up your whisky. All the best.

Sincerely,

Bill Samuels, Jr.
Chairman Emeritus
Ambassador-at-Large

wazu
02-11-2013, 09:40 AM
They must be going for a "New Coke/Return to Classic" thing of some kind. If not this would be one of the stupidest moves I've ever heard of.

houstonwhodat
02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Well fuck them.

lewdog
02-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Welp, time to boycott those stupid assholes. That is down right stupid.

Rausch
02-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Just spend the extra and enjoy it...

http://www.themacallan.com/media/406921/1824-home-cara.jpg

the Talking Can
02-11-2013, 09:57 AM
i'm not sure that "it tastes the same watered down" is a slogan I'd be proud of...

Unsmooth-Moment
02-11-2013, 09:58 AM
They need to raise the price.. Not water down their product.. Seems like the wrong approach to supply and demand.

Rausch
02-11-2013, 10:03 AM
They need to raise the price.. Not water down their product.. Seems like the wrong approach to supply and demand.

Exactly...

the Talking Can
02-11-2013, 10:12 AM
hey gang,

we're going to charge the same price for a product with more water in it...because we care

Hammock Parties
02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Booze snoobs, is this really going to make that much of a difference?

Would you even know if they hadn't announced it?

QuikSsurfer
02-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Fuck no

Rausch
02-11-2013, 10:29 AM

You can't steal video off the interwebs that will give you any knowledge about quality booze.

Just stay out of this one...

Hammock Parties
02-11-2013, 10:30 AM
You can't steal video off the interwebs that will give you any knowledge about quality booze.

Just stay out of this one...

I admit to being completely clueless about booze...therefore I am asking.

Educate me, drunkard.

Molitoth
02-11-2013, 10:32 AM

No, they wouldn't.

and if people are drinking to get drunk, they can always switch to something with more Alcohol in it.

Rausch
02-11-2013, 10:38 AM
I admit to being completely clueless about booze...therefore I am asking.

Educate me, drunkard.

1) Freeze the glass - don't add water to a good (expensive) drink.

2) Learn blends. Malts. How many malts? Filters. Age. All plays in to the taste of the drink.

3) Play stupid and taste for free. You're in shape - find a gay bartender and ask him what the difference is. You won't have much difficulty selling yourself as a legitimate opportunity.

If you feel guilty remind yourself that women do this every single day and get drunk for free (I don't know what the kids call it now but it use to be "milking a man.")

Reaper16
02-11-2013, 10:41 AM
If it tastes the same, which is a substantial if, then I don't see the problem. You aren't paying for the alcohol level. You're paying for the (in the case of Maker's, overrated) flavor profile.

Just Passin' By
02-11-2013, 10:41 AM
One fewer brand to have to choose from.

Rausch
02-11-2013, 10:44 AM
If it tastes the same, which is a substantial if, then I don't see the problem. You aren't paying for the alcohol level. You're paying for the (in the case of Maker's, overrated) flavor profile.

It's the best of the middle area.

It's like buying a Sony/Pioneer receiver...

LoneWolf
02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
hey gang,

we're going to charge the same price for a product with more water in it...because we care

Would you be happier if they raised the price of the same product? This was strictly a business decision. They could've raised the price and less people could enjoy their product, or do what they have chosen to do and up their supply by cutting their bourbon with more water while still maintaining the same taste.

I thought the owner did an excellent job of explaining this decision and how upfront the company is being concerning this decision is refreshing. In the end, if the taste is the same, who gives a shit? If your drinking Maker's Mark to get drunk, you are wasting your money. Go buy something cheaper like Old Crow if all you want to do is get wasted.

Hammock Parties
02-11-2013, 10:53 AM
1) Freeze the glass - don't add water to a good (expensive) drink.

2) Learn blends. Malts. How many malts? Filters. Age. All plays in to the taste of the drink.

3) Play stupid and taste for free. You're in shape - find a gay bartender and ask him what the difference is. You won't have much difficulty selling yourself as a legitimate opportunity.

If you feel guilty remind yourself that women do this every single day and get drunk for free (I don't know what the kids call it now but it use to be "milking a man.")

I'm not interested in drinking. I just want to know if you can REALLY tell the difference between 84 proof and 90 proof, especially when you're shitfaced.

It sounds like drunkard elitism.

PaulAllen
02-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Makers is out in a lot of places. I need to see if Costco still has any batches left.

Bewbies
02-11-2013, 10:58 AM
I always liked Makers with a few drops of water in it...

One could always switch the Buffalo Trace if this pissed them off enough, it's better anyway.

DJ's left nut
02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm not interested in drinking. I just want to know if you can REALLY tell the difference between 84 proof and 90 proof, especially when you're shitfaced.

It sounds like drunkard elitism.

You'll find a lot of that.

I love a good scotch and I've kinda developed some of the drunkard elitism as well when it comes to scotches and red wines. Bourbons I don't drink enough of to really get riled up about, but I certainly recognize the breed.

I do think it's absurd that so many people are 'swearing off' Maker's Mark without even trying the new batch and I do think there's an excellent chance they'd have never known the difference had they not been told.

Just Passin' By
02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
You'll find a lot of that.

I love a good scotch and I've kinda developed some of the drunkard elitism as well when it comes to scotches and red wines. Bourbons I don't drink enough of to really get riled up about, but I certainly recognize the breed.

I do think it's absurd that so many people are 'swearing off' Maker's Mark without even trying the new batch and I do think there's an excellent chance they'd have never known the difference had they not been told.

When a company changes its formula, they face customer backlash. It's not snobbery. It's comfort, and faith in the product. This isn't shrinking the bottle by a few ounces, this is screwing with the drink itself. You've built up your brand by talking about its greatness, and you risk pissing away all of the accumulated goodwill and loyalty by changing what you claimed was great.

Coca Cola learned that.

InChiefsHeaven
02-11-2013, 11:34 AM
I don't have to worry about it as I'm not a huge fan of Makers Mark anyway. I enjoy bourbon, and I'm always trying different ones. I'm supposed to love Makers, but when I drink it, it's just meh. I like Knob Creek a whole ton better. Hell, I like Evan Williams better than Makers.

So...this news means precisely dick to me. Except when I go over to the old man's place, he is a Maker's guy.

DJ's left nut
02-11-2013, 11:36 AM
When a company changes its formula, they face customer backlash. It's not snobbery. It's comfort, and faith in the product. This isn't shrinking the bottle by a few ounces, this is screwing with the drink itself. You've built up your brand by talking about its greatness, and you risk pissing away all of the accumulated goodwill and loyalty by changing what you claimed was great.

Coca Cola learned that.

And one would think that those loyal customers that are subjecting you to such backlash would at least...I dunno...try it before flipping their shit.

And I see no way that Maker's doesn't make a 'premium' version that they do raise the price on so that folks that insist they can take the difference will have a way to spend more money on stuff that tastes the same.

It's just an odd rush to judgment with so many people already writing Makers off altogether without even seeing what they're going to produce.

frankotank
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Hey! Makers Mark!

know how I know yer gay?

Just Passin' By
02-11-2013, 11:47 AM
And one would think that those loyal customers that are subjecting you to such backlash would at least...I dunno...try it before flipping their shit.

Why would tasting it be necessary? Again, you've spent years pimping your product based upon its formula, and then you changed the formula.

And I see no way that Maker's doesn't make a 'premium' version that they do raise the price on so that folks that insist they can take the difference will have a way to spend more money on stuff that tastes the same.

It's just an odd rush to judgment with so many people already writing Makers off altogether without even seeing what they're going to produce.

It's not a rush to judgment at all. It's leaving a brand that's no longer exactly that brand, and a company that cannot be trusted. Again, Coca Cola learned this. New Coke tested better with people than old Coke in blind tests, but people refused to accept it. Don't blame the people. Blame the company for pissing on customer loyalty to the product itself after the company has tried to build up precisely that. A company can sometimes get away with the "new, improved taste" type of move with lesser known products, but even that tends to fail.

This sort of move isn't a guaranteed failure, but it carries a high risk. For me, as someone who's not a devout drinker of the product, I now know how they are willing to treat their customers, so there's no reason for me to patronize that company when there are so many alternatives.

R8RFAN
02-11-2013, 12:02 PM
This is about as dumb as companies selling pre mixed antifreeze

LoneWolf
02-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Why would tasting it be necessary? Again, you've spent years pimping your product based upon its formula, and then you changed the formula.

It's not a rush to judgment at all. It's leaving a brand that's no longer exactly that brand, and a company that cannot be trusted. Again, Coca Cola learned this. New Coke tested better with people than old Coke in blind tests, but people refused to accept it. Don't blame the people. Blame the company for pissing on customer loyalty to the product itself after the company has tried to build up precisely that. A company can sometimes get away with the "new, improved taste" type of move with lesser known products, but even that tends to fail.

This sort of move isn't a guaranteed failure, but it carries a high risk. For me, as someone who's not a devout drinker of the product, I now know how they are willing to treat their customers, so there's no reason for me to patronize that company when there are so many alternatives.

FFS quit bringing up Coca Cola in your argument. They completely changed the taste of their product and even renamed it New Coke. Maker's is simply cutting their bourbon with more water which is going to lower the alcohol content as a percentage by volume. They are being very upfront about this and are taking action to make this change temporary. If you take the company at their word, the taste is the same.

Now I ask you, in what way is this the company "pissing on customer loyalty?"

Bump
02-11-2013, 12:23 PM
I bet you won't hardly notice the taste or how drunk you get. Look at all these dumb drunks getting pissed over nothing.

Sorry, but if there were a thread about how Cali Kush isn't gonna be as dank, you guys would rip us "stoopid pothead's" apart.

Fish
02-11-2013, 12:33 PM

LMAO... life will never be the same after the Great Maker's Mark failure of 2013. Whoa is me.....

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
02-11-2013, 12:33 PM
So far we have suggestions for a scotch and a rye bourbon as alternatives. WHERE ARE YOU BOOZE SNOBS?????

The Poz
02-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Put two of them side by side and you won't notice a difference in taste or how gooned you're getting. But, when they tell you that a product you pay good money for is being watered down, you feel cheated.
Do what Wild Turkey did. Let the shelves run bare for a bit, build up your stock, build up the hype then release the hounds.
I'll stay with the Eagle Rare for now. Very nice.
Anyone here into Basil Hayden's? A guy a work swears by it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Marky-Mark is doing what?
Posted via Mobile Device

the Talking Can
02-11-2013, 12:41 PM
"More Water, Same Great Price!"

- Maker's Mark

the slogans write themselves

"We'll piss in it and you'll still buy it"

"When we said it was special, we were just kidding"

fyi, this is the ad copy still up on their website as of 1 minute ago:

Taste
No changes, no compromises, no comparison.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-11-2013, 12:43 PM
I love Makers, but as far as an every day drink, I generally won't spring for more than Jim Beam.

KCUnited
02-11-2013, 12:43 PM
I'll stick with Amish Pitchfork for special occasions and Minotaur Hoof as my house bourbon anyway.

Just Passin' By
02-11-2013, 12:48 PM
LMAO... life will never be the same after the Great Maker's Mark failure of 2013. Whoa is me.....

That's not what I was saying, and you know it.

Bewbies
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
So far we have suggestions for a scotch and a rye bourbon as alternatives. WHERE ARE YOU BOOZE SNOBS?????

We have whole threads for that!

DJ's left nut
02-11-2013, 01:29 PM

How have they 'wronged' their customers? They've chosen to freeze the price point and try to produce a product that presents the same drinking experience without resorting to just jacking their prices up.

You're welcome to throw a bitch fit if you'd like, but don't call it something it's not. If you're going to stamp your feet and claim it's because they've 'wronged' their loyal drinkers without even trying it to see if they're still giving you the same experience, it's nothing more than a temper tantrum.

And it's nothing like 'new coke'. New coke failed because they made it taste like generic Pepsi. They were openly and obviously stating that they were trying to change their flavor to appeal to a new crowd and pissing on their loyal drinkers in the process. Maker's is doing the exact opposite, they're trying desperately to make sure that the taste is the same and they're trying to do so in a manner that prevents them from pricing some of their loyal drinkers out of the market.

I honestly think they should be applauded for taking the more gutsy approach and trying to please everyone by keeping the price the same while maintaining the same profile.

Hammock Parties
02-11-2013, 01:31 PM
They would probably get less shit if they just raised the price.

DJ's left nut
02-11-2013, 01:33 PM
They would probably get less shit if they just raised the price.

Of course they would. That would have been by far and away the easier way to do it.

And they don't want to do that because they don't want to run off some of their loyal drinkers. They've taken a far bolder approach and are hoping to make it a temporary change only. They're trying to do the right thing here by remaining accessible to their fans.

Hammock Parties
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Basically they're showing uncommon honesty in being completely transparent about their product.

And they're getting shit on for it.

Might as well lie, change the formula AND jack up the price a few bucks a bottle...because hardly anyone would notice.

KCUnited
02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure they have to disclose their proof, so the change would be obvious. Not disclosing it ahead of time would've been a colossal **** up.

Molitoth
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
DJ's left nut owns this thread.

Pablo
02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Meh. I drink Maker's regularly because my buddies love the stuff. I keep Buffalo Trace or Builett in my house, so I don't care too much.

Molitoth
02-11-2013, 01:48 PM
I need to obtain Buffalo Trace that everyone keeps talking about.

Pablo
02-11-2013, 01:51 PM
I need to obtain Buffalo Trace that everyone keeps talking about.

It's pretty good for it's price point. Roughly $25 for a 750. Give it a go, I doubt you'll be unsatisfied.

Molitoth
02-11-2013, 01:53 PM
It's pretty good for it's price point. Roughly $25 for a 750. Give it a go, I doubt you'll be unsatisfied.

Where do I get it in St. Joe? Does Hyvee have it?

Pablo
02-11-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm sure they have it there.

QuikSsurfer
02-11-2013, 02:00 PM
I need to give Buffalo Trace a try as well... I normally just stick with Makers and Bulleit (rye).

JohnnyHammersticks
02-11-2013, 02:10 PM
This coincides perfectly with me scaling back on the Maker's Mark to almost none. While I've loved it over the years, last year I had...let's say...a couple 'incidents' involving Maker's Mark and I don't want to push the envelope any further than I already have. I don't know if it was the fact that I lost 25 lbs, or that I don't drink nearly as often as I used to (I drink Maker's about once every couple months now), but I fear if I keep drinking the amount of Maker's that I used to be able to drink when I went out, that someday I'm not going to come home.

So, it's been a good run Maker's Mark, but from now on I'll just have a few beers and some ganja and count my blessings that I never killed myself or anybody else.

QuikSsurfer
02-11-2013, 02:15 PM
This coincides perfectly with me scaling back on the Maker's Mark to almost none. While I've loved it over the years, last year I had...let's say...a couple 'incidents' involving Maker's Mark and I don't want to push the envelope any further than I already have. I don't know if it was the fact that I lost 25 lbs, or that I don't drink nearly as often as I used to (I drink Maker's about once every couple months now), but I fear if I keep drinking the amount of Maker's that I used to be able to drink when I went out, that someday I'm not going to come home.

So, it's been a good run Maker's Mark, but from now on I'll just have a few beers and some ganja and count my blessings that I never killed myself or anybody else.

Is this a problem with Makers or is it a personal one?

JohnnyHammersticks
02-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Is this a problem with Makers or is it a personal one?

Personal. The only problem with Maker's Mark is that it tastes too damn good.

|Zach|
02-11-2013, 02:33 PM

People are so finicky on the internet.

DeezNutz
02-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that a Pats fan is bitching about a company "shitting" on its base, the same poster who was genuinely interested in showing at least a semblance of loyalty to *****?

Tell me you contributed to the SOC movement.

demonhero
02-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Haven't had the need to go back to Makers Mark since I found Trace.

Iowanian
02-11-2013, 05:15 PM
I've got a couple of bottles. It's pretty damn nice sippin juice.

BigMeatballDave
02-11-2013, 05:21 PM
I don't drink.

Can you even tell the difference?

BigMeatballDave
02-11-2013, 05:24 PM
"Fact is, demand for our bourbon is exceeding our ability to make it.

There are several who missed this part.

Hammock Parties
02-11-2013, 05:27 PM
I don't drink.

Can you even tell the difference?

No, your posts from last offseason indicated you were drunk off your ass for months.

BigMeatballDave
02-11-2013, 05:28 PM
This is about as dumb as companies selling pre mixed antifreeze

LMAO How is this even remotely close to the same thing?

BigMeatballDave
02-11-2013, 05:29 PM
No, your posts from last offseason indicated you were drunk off your ass for months.

:LOL: That was weed.

BigMeatballDave
02-11-2013, 05:41 PM
A lot of butthurt over 3%.

lewdog
02-11-2013, 05:50 PM
A lot of butthurt over 3%.

It is about the principle of the matter!

Next thing you know, I will only be able to get half a gun with half my alcohol and that doesn't sound like a lot of fun in the back woods! This whole scenario sounds like a slippery slop and goes against my rights protected under the Constitution. Next thing you know they will be banning paper towels!

/DC conspiracy theory.

Marcellus
02-11-2013, 06:59 PM
By the sound of this thread you would expect all of CP drinks their bourbon neat.

While its not preferable to dilute it, I think the point is if they raise the price there will still be supply issues which may drive the price up more and that would be by the distributor or store owner which is $ they wont see.

This way they can make about 7% more product, which I imagine is substantial.

They could cut their price 7% to make amends I suppose.

Bewbies
02-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Got some Old Weller Antique, it's 107 proof tonight. Shit is the bomb son!

GloryDayz
02-11-2013, 07:17 PM
JC, I don't drink it, but I'm mad as hell! I don't know why, but I'm mad as hell. Fuckers!

RedandGold
02-11-2013, 08:31 PM

At Sam's Club, they have Buffalo Trace for under $20, which is about where it should be. It's above average, but not great. I gladly pay a little extra for Maker's.

Reaper16
02-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Buffalo Trace tastes better than Maker's to me.

Tits McGee
02-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Jack Daniel's has dropped their proof twice in the last 9 years.
Also, the Fed taxes on proof. After 80 the numbers go through the roof.

KCrockaholic
02-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Don't buy the cabin fever maple whiskey. Its gross. Idk why but the damn clerk talked me into buying some the other day.

GloryDayz
02-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Jack Daniel's has dropped their proof twice in the last 9 years.
Also, the Fed taxes on proof. After 80 the numbers go through the roof.

Really, with BO in office, you'd think it's therapy....

Tits McGee
02-11-2013, 10:07 PM
BO mentioned a while back his favorite whiskey was something from Asia.
Suntory perhaps.. The point is, whiskey producers are penalized to produce full flavor/ proof products in this country.

Frazod
02-11-2013, 10:10 PM
JC, I don't drink it, but I'm mad as hell! I don't know why, but I'm mad as hell. Fuckers!

LMAO

The funny thing is, I doubt if anybody will be able to tell the difference anyway.

Pablo
02-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Buffalo Trace tastes better than Maker's to me.
Seconded.

Buns
02-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Suntory perhaps.. The point is, whiskey producers are penalized to produce full flavor/ proof products in this country..

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_saLrADKqNM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Strongside
02-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Chiefs use the same philosophy on ticket sales. Why not?

Tits McGee
02-11-2013, 10:55 PM
I've been selling Maker's Mark for over 10 years.
I can tell you they have been wrestling with the limited supply issue for over 8 of those
Years. I've met Bill Samuels and I know for a fact Missouri gets more than a normal allow allocation because Missouri is a major Oak barrel producer for whiskey in general.
Since the beginning Makers had only ONE STILL. I can every still has its own personality.
I don't know the exact year, but within the last 5 they finally constructed the 2nd still to keep up with demand. In that process, they recreated the same dents and imperfections as the original still.
They have a staff on ten people to hand dip each bottle.
There are sever regions of the USA rejoicing this decision.

DJ's left nut
02-12-2013, 12:11 AM
I've been selling Maker's Mark for over 10 years.
I can tell you they have been wrestling with the limited supply issue for over 8 of those
Years. I've met Bill Samuels and I know for a fact Missouri gets more than a normal allow allocation because Missouri is a major Oak barrel producer for whiskey in general.
Since the beginning Makers had only ONE STILL. I can every still has its own personality.
I don't know the exact year, but within the last 5 they finally constructed the 2nd still to keep up with demand. In that process, they recreated the same dents and imperfections as the original still.
They have a staff on ten people to hand dip each bottle.
There are sever regions of the USA rejoicing this decision.

Man.

If only the people in those regions knew that this was actually Maker's kicking them in the dick and betraying their loyalty.

houstonwhodat
02-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Suntory perhaps.. The point is, whiskey producers are penalized to produce full flavor/ proof products in this country.

BO's favorite whiskey is from wherever Al Queda is.

He's the only Muslim allowed to drink it.

Frazod
02-12-2013, 01:01 AM
I had never heard of Suntory before. Japanese scotch? Sounds intriguing. Binny's carries 12 YO Hakushu.

Ming the Merciless
02-12-2013, 02:36 AM
https://doubleclix.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/glenlivet15.png

/thread

Marcellus
02-12-2013, 06:52 AM
Man.

If only the people in those regions knew that this was actually Maker's kicking them in the dick and betraying their loyalty.

LMAO Hyperbole much?

Its not like they did it and didn't tell people in advance. JFC the overreaction to this is hilarious.

Molitoth
02-12-2013, 08:24 AM

/thread

Bourbon vs Scotch Although I agree, I'd prefer some Glenlivit over Makers anyday.

BigMeatballDave
02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
LMAO Hyperbole much?

Its not like they did it and didn't tell people in advance. JFC the overreaction to this is hilarious.

LOL yep

dtebbe
02-12-2013, 10:31 PM
So I had to finally try me some Buffalo Trace based on everyone raving about it. Have to say I like it better than Makers, still not as much as Forty Creek (and yes I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges, but I like oranges better).

If I'm drinking something neat, though, Buffalo Trace it is.

DT

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-13-2013, 12:17 AM
It would be interesting to see a double blind test of the current recipe vs. the watered down version to see if people could actually notice a difference.

It's a lecherous ploy, but I doubt the ability of people to actually taste the difference.

DJ's left nut
02-13-2013, 12:33 AM
LMAO Hyperbole much?

I believe you perhaps haven't read my other posts on this subject.

This is what we call sarcasm. Talk to the Pats fan and others that are having their little temper tantrums in this thread.

DJ's left nut
02-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Bourbon vs Scotch Although I agree, I'd prefer some Glenlivit over Makers anyday.

I grabbed a bottle of Glenlivit Nadurra around Christmas time - holy hell is that good stuff. Non-chill filtered and cask strength. It's not cheap, but it goes down smooth as can be and has almost a pear note to it.

It's not what you drink if you're after a good burn, but it if you're looking for an extremely good mellow scotch, that's a bottle you definitely want to have around.

Now if you're wanting a nice peaty burn, find a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan. Your kitchen smells like a campfire as soon as you pop the cork. It's also not a drink for every occasion, but if you're in the mood for it, man oh man is it good stuff.

If you have a bottle of Nadurra, a bottle of Corryvreckan and then a bottle of 15 yr old Fiddich, you've pretty much covered all the bases.

dtebbe
02-13-2013, 02:40 PM
It would be interesting to see a double blind test of the current recipe vs. the watered down version to see if people could actually notice a difference.

It's a lecherous ploy, but I doubt the ability of people to actually taste the difference.

I agree.

DT

BlackHelicopters
02-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Why? Why? Why?

The Poz
02-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Guys, try the Eagle Rare. Dyn-o-mite!

http://www.drinksupermarket.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/E/a/Eagle_Rare_10_yo_Single_Barrel_Kentucky_Straight_Bourbon_Whiskey_75cl_l.jpg

Stewie
02-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Just went to the liquor store and Buffalo Trace was on sale. $18.99 for 750 ml.

lewdog
02-15-2013, 06:27 PM

Go on......

RedandGold
02-15-2013, 06:49 PM

I think the Sam's Club price is $17.99, which makes it a good value at that price point.

HonestChieffan
02-15-2013, 07:28 PM
MM never came close to reall great stuff anyway. No big deal.

Raiderhater
02-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Must have been a pretty big back lash. Now I don't have to worry about stocking up.

You spoke. We listened.

Dear Friends,

Since we announced our decision last week to reduce the alcohol content (ABV) of Maker’s Mark in response to supply constraints, we have heard many concerns and questions from our ambassadors and brand fans. We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark. While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision.

You spoke. We listened. And we’re sincerely sorry we let you down.

So effective immediately, we are reversing our decision to lower the ABV of Maker’s Mark, and resuming production at 45% alcohol by volume (90 proof). Just like we’ve made it since the very beginning.

The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker’s Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you’d even put up with occasional shortages. We promise we'll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery.

Your trust, loyalty and passion are what’s most important. We realize we can’t lose sight of that. Thanks for your honesty and for reminding us what makes Maker’s Mark, and its fans, so special.

We’ll set about getting back to bottling the handcrafted bourbon that our father/grandfather, Bill Samuels, Sr. created. Same recipe. Same production process. Same product.

As always, we will continue to let you know first about developments at the distillery. In the meantime please keep telling us what’s on your mind and come down and visit us at the distillery. It means a lot to us.

Sincerely,

Rob Samuels Bill Samuels, Jr
Chief Operating Officer Chairman Emeritus
rob@makersmark.com bill@makersmark.com

http://www.makersmark.com/#!/live-feed/news/34-you-spoke-we-listened

QuikSsurfer
02-17-2013, 12:09 PM

Same. I picked up a bottle and I really enjoyed it. I prefer Makers though.

KCUnited
02-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Case study in business schools across the country for years.

InChiefsHeaven
02-17-2013, 02:06 PM

/thread

...not if you are a bourbon drinker. I like the Glenlivet as well, but I'm primarily a bourbon drinker. So...thread NOT over...:p

Hammock Parties
02-17-2013, 03:43 PM
They're just going to raise the price now. No one will notice a few bucks more per bottle.

pwned

BigOlChiefsfan
02-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Maker's isn't one of my faves, so I haven't been paying too much attention to this. Here's an old magazine article by a booze writer I like, he groups bourbons into a few categories and his point is if you like A, you might like A1 or A2 as well, mo' bettah than you like B or C. There's a method to his madness.
I'm glad to see that the Maker's folks have come to their senses. Quite a bit of publicity for not much money, and everyone's happy. Win Win!

FWIW, I find myself drinking more of the Wild Turkey Rare Breed for sippin' - and mx w/Evan Williams black label (it's no longer a 7 year bourbon as it was when this was written) - by this fellow's reckoning I'm a 'spicy and peppery bourbon' fan. But when it comes to whusk, it's ALL good.

http://www.winemag.com/Wine-Enthusiast-Magazine/September-2001/PROOF-POSITIVE-September-2001/

R8RFAN
02-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Maker’s Mark won’t water down whiskey, after all

http://myfox8.com/2013/02/17/makers-mark-wont-water-down-whiskey-after-all/

BigOlChiefsfan
02-17-2013, 04:58 PM
One more tidbit of info to pass along. An old, established brand whiskey recently changed owners, the old owner pretty much sold it in Kentucky and didn't try to market it out of state - the new owner will market it out of state. It's called 'Very Old Barton' - the old owner, of course, was Barton (a big distillery, most of their product is 'cut rate' liquors) The new owner is Buffalo Trace/Sazerac, and they've been gathering a pretty nice stable of bourbon brands over the past 10 years or so. Anyway - if you see Very Old Barton for sale or behind the bar, give it a try. It's always been a 'great for the money' bourbon, hard to find around here. Another one for bourbon fans who don't intend to spend $45 on an everyday whusk. A little more info below

http://www.bourbonwhiskey.com/

http://www.sazerac.com/

Frazod
02-17-2013, 05:36 PM

/thread

http://www.whiskyantique.com/dati/immagini/img-2_IM109353.jpg

now /thread

:harumph:

Mr. Flopnuts
02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Frazod nailed it.

GloryDayz
02-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Let's hope the IOC goes all Maker's Mark with wrestling...

Baby Lee
02-17-2013, 09:23 PM
My supermarket is selling 'moonshine' in a mason jar for $20. Intrigued but not willing to pony up yet.

i.e. they are actually marketing it as some home distilled moonshine.

SAUTO
02-17-2013, 09:41 PM
My supermarket is selling 'moonshine' in a mason jar for $20. Intrigued but not willing to pony up yet.

i.e. they are actually marketing it as some home distilled moonshine.

I've tried it.

It's not just like the real deal, but I don't dislike it.

Cherry had good flavor and is still 100 proof iirc. Midnight moonshine brand is more authentic flavor. The cherry is good IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
02-17-2013, 09:42 PM
I think that brand is made by junior Johnson
Posted via Mobile Device

Braincase
02-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Link (http://www.nbcnews.com/business/makers-mark-stop-watering-down-its-whiskey-1C8410338)

Maker's Mark to stop watering down its whiskey (http://www.nbcnews.com/business/makers-mark-stop-watering-down-its-whiskey-1C8410338)

Advertise (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31066137/media-kit/) | AdChoices (http://g.msn.com/AIPRIV/en-us)

After backlash from customers, the producer of Maker's Mark bourbon is reversing a decision to cut the amount of alcohol in bottles of its famous whiskey.

Rob Samuels, Maker's Mark's chief operating officer, said Sunday that it is restoring the alcohol volume of its product to its historic level of 45 percent, or 90 proof. Last week, it said it was lowering the amount to 42 percent, or 84 proof, because of a supply shortage.

"We've been tremendously humbled over the last week or so," Samuels, grandson of the brand's founder, said of customers' reactions.

The brand known for its square bottles sealed in red wax has struggled to keep up with demand. Distribution has been squeezed, and the brand had to curtail shipments to some overseas markets.

In a tweet Sunday, the company said to its followers: "You spoke. We listened."
The change in recipe started with a shortage of the bourbon amid an ongoing expansion of the company's operations that cost tens of millions of dollars.

Maker's Mark President Bill Samuels, the founder's son, said the company focused almost exclusively on not altering the taste of the bourbon while stretching the available product and didn't consider the emotional attachment that customers have to the brand and its composition.

Bill Samuels said the company tinkered with how much water to add and keep the taste the same for about three months before making the announcement about the change Monday. It marked the first time the bourbon brand, more than a half-century old, had altered its proof or alcohol volume.

"Our focus was on the supply problem. That led to us focusing on a solution," he said. "We got it totally wrong."

Both Bill and Rob Samuels said customer reaction was immediate. Company officials heard from "thousands and thousands of consumers" that a bourbon shortage was preferable to a change in how the spirits were made, Bill Samuels said.

"They would rather put up with the occasional supply shortage than put up with any change in their hand-made bourbon," Rob Samuels said.

The change in alcohol volume called for the recipe and process to stay the same, except for a "touch more water" to be added when the whiskey comes out of the barrel for bottling, Rob Samuels said.

When production restarts Monday, those plans are off the table, Bill Samuels said.
"We really made this decision after an enormous amount of thought, and we focused on the wrong things," he said.

Maker's Mark is owned by spirits company Beam Inc., based in Deerfield, Ill. Its other brands include Jim Beam bourbon.

Maker's Mark is made at a distillery near the small town of Loretto, 45 miles south of Louisville.

The bourbon ages in barrels for at least six summers and no longer than seven years before bottling.

The supply shortage at Maker's comes amid growing demand for Kentucky bourbons in general.

Combined Kentucky bourbon and Tennessee whiskey sales from producers or suppliers to wholesalers rose 5.2 percent to 16.9 million cases last year, according to the Distilled Spirits Council, a national trade association that released figures last week. Revenue shot up 7.3 percent to $2.2 billion, it said. Premium brands, generally made in smaller batches with heftier prices, led sales and revenue gains.

Kentucky produces 95 percent of the world's bourbon supply, according to the Kentucky Distillers' Association. There are 4.9 million bourbon barrels aging in Kentucky, which outnumbers the state's population.

Johnny Vegas
02-18-2013, 07:38 AM
even they couldn't go on with the slaughter of their brand. look watering it down to 3% from its original alcohol content isn't night and day. In fact you wouldn't be able to tell unless you seen the bottle beforehand. I had a corn whiskey distiller pour 150 proof moonshine in a bottle that labeled it 80 proof. I won't say the brand, ever, but holy shit when people seen it was 80 proof it was on, then after a shot they swore up and down that wasn't the right proof. Was a great prank to pull on someone with that shit. Bottom line, label is a label, proof is in the effect.

jspchief
02-18-2013, 07:41 AM
So instead people find an empty shelf, choose something else, and how many come away preferring that over Maker's Mark?

Strongside
02-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Had this for the first time the other night. Delicious.

http://gonemild.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/templeton.jpg

I'm not a HUGE fan of MM, but I do love me some 46...

http://www.drinkspirits.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/makers46.jpg

Dartgod
02-18-2013, 08:43 AM
A response to customer feedback from the Chair

A lot of people took the time to share their thoughts regarding our recent announcement. We always appreciate open and honest conversation about Maker’s Mark and we’ve gotten plenty of feedback, both supportive and otherwise. Because there are so many comments, it’s hard for an old guy like me to respond, particularly 140 characters at a time. Now that I’ve had time to compose my thoughts, please allow me to try to answer most of the questions we’re hearing.

And by the way, I asked Rob if I could write this response since many people have wondered if I’m on board with the decision to lower the alcohol-by-volume (ABV) level. I am, and here’s why.

First, it’s important to understand that our primary focus now and for the past 50 years hasn’t changed. It’s product quality and consistency, batch-to-batch, year-to-year, with the primary measure of that consistency being the unique Maker’s Mark taste profile. That’s all that truly matters in the end.

Since we’re a one-brand company that’s never purchased bourbon from other distillers when supplies are short, forecasting is very difficult. Over the years, our one variable that helps us avoid market shortages has been the age of the whisky in the Maker’s bottle. That range is between five years nine months and seven years. Because Maker’s Mark is aged to taste, Dad never put a specific age statement on the bottle. It wasn’t the age that mattered; it was the taste, the quality and the consistency.

Some people are asking why we didn’t just raise the price if demand is an issue. We don’t want to price Maker’s Mark out of reach. Dad’s intention when he created this brand was to make good-tasting bourbon accessible and to bring more fans into the fold, not to make it exclusive. And, with regard to the price, the value of Maker’s Mark isn’t set by alcohol volume. It’s about the quality of the recipe and ingredients that go into it, all the handcrafting that goes into the production and how it tastes.

Some of you have questioned how we reduce the alcohol content. The fact is, other than barrel-strength bourbons, all bourbons are cut with water to achieve the desired proof for bottling. This is a natural step in the bourbon-making process. Maker’s Mark has always been made this way and will continue to be made this way.

As we looked at potential solutions to address the shortage, we agreed again that the most important thing was whether it tastes the same. The distillery made up different batches that Rob and I tested every evening over the course of a month. Every batch at 42% ABV had the same taste profile that we’ve always had. Then, we validated our own tastings with structured consumer research and the Tasting Panel at the distillery, who all agreed: there’s no difference in the taste.

For those of you who have questioned if the supply problem is real, I can assure you that it is. While not every part of the country has seen shortages yet, many have, and the demand is continuing to grow at a pace we’ve never before experienced. While we are investing today to expand capacity for the future, by producing 42% ABV Maker’s Mark we’ll be able to better meet our ongoing supply issues without compromising the taste.

Ultimately, all I can ask is that you reserve judgment until you actually taste the whisky, like I did. If you can make it down to the distillery, we’re doing tastings every day with the 42% ABV whisky to give you a first-hand opportunity to try it for yourself. If you can’t make it to the distillery, please give it a try when it gets to your city. And please write me back at that point. I want to hear what you think.

In the meantime, I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to write. It shows that you care about Maker’s Mark, and that’s what we’ve been striving for over the past 50 years. I hope you’ll give us the chance to continue earning that devotion and allow us to prove that we didn’t screw up your whisky. All the best.

Sincerely,

Bill Samuels, Jr.
Chairman Emeritus
Ambassador-at-Large
You'd think that someone who makes a living making and selling whiskey would know how to properly spell it.

Reerun_KC
02-18-2013, 09:19 AM
www.whiskeystill.net

Thinking of getting one of these...

QuikSsurfer
02-18-2013, 09:27 AM
You'd think that someone who makes a living making and selling whiskey would know how to properly spell it.

About that

Maker's Mark is one of the few American-made whiskies to be labeled using the Scottish spelling "whisky". The majority of American distillers and the American general public tend to spell the word with the "e", although some brands (such as George Dickel and Old Forester) also use the spelling "whisky".

Dartgod
02-18-2013, 09:51 AM
About that

Well, I've learnt something today.

Rausch
02-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Knowing us this could be counted as the 2nd SOC's victory...

the Talking Can
02-18-2013, 10:03 AM
the least surprising turn of events ever:

hey we're going to dilute our 'distinctive' product and still claim it's distinctive...cool?

no, idiot

...um, ok, after being slapped in the face we're not going to water down our 'distinctive' product...let's just pretend this never happened, cool?

InChiefsHeaven
02-18-2013, 10:11 AM
www.whiskeystill.net

Thinking of getting one of these...

Always wanted to, but not sure if it's legal to distill spirits in NE. I know if you are licensed you can, but don't know about home consumption.

penguinz
02-18-2013, 10:27 AM
You'd think that someone who makes a living making and selling whiskey would know how to properly spell it.It is spelled properly.

Maker's Mark is one of the few American-made whiskies to be labeled using the Scottish spelling "whisky". The majority of American distillers and the American general public tend to spell the word with the "e", although some brands (such as George Dickel and Old Forester) also use the spelling "whisky".

Stryker
02-18-2013, 10:28 AM

Maker's Mark Won't Cut Alcohol Content

.By ABC News | ABC News Blogs – 21 hours ago.. .

Email
Share1236

Print
... .

Maker's Mark Won't Cut Alcohol Content (ABC News)

.. .

Maker's Mark drew a storm of complaints when the venerable bourbon distiller announced this week it would be diluting its whisky due to anticipated supply shortages, but today it announced it is scrapping the plan.

"While we thought we were doing what's right, this is your brand - and you told us in large numbers to change our decision," the company said in a statement released today. "You spoke. We listened. And we're sincerely sorry we let you down."

Effective immediately, the company said, it was reversing its decision to lower the alcohol content of Maker's Mark, and would resume production at 45 percent alcohol by volume.

"The unanticipated dramatic growth rate of Maker's Mark is a good problem to have, and we appreciate some of you telling us you'd even put up with occasional shortages," said the statement, signed by COO Rob Samuels and chairman emeritus Bill Samuels Jr. "We promise we'll deal with them as best we can, as we work to expand capacity at the distillery."

The response came after angry Maker's Mark lovers took to Twitter to complain about the company lowering the alcohol content.

"Hey, @MakersMark Raise prices if you must, but don't mess with success! Ever heard of New Coke? #bourbon" wrote one Twitter user.

Maker's Mark had said it was forced to make the decision to decreasing the proof of its whisky from 90 proof to 84 proof because of "unforeseen demand." Bill Samuels Jr. had said that the brand wanted to keep its prices competitive.

"While not every part of the country has seen shortages yet, many have, and the demand is continuing to grow at a pace we've never before experienced. While we are investing today to expand capacity for the future, by producing 42 percent ABV Maker's Mark we'll be able to better meet our ongoing supply issues without compromising the taste," he said in a statement.

The one-brand company doesn't purchase bourbon from other distillers, making forecasting difficult. The age range of the whiskey, five years nine months to seven years, had allowed the brand to keep ahead of market shortages in the past.

The owners said they had tested the watered-down bourbon themselves and validated their own findings with consumer research. Both agreed that "there's no difference in the taste," Samuels said.

penguinz
02-18-2013, 10:28 AM
About thatI knew I should have refreshed before posting.

Just Passin' By
02-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Maker's Mark President Bill Samuels, the founder's son, said the company focused almost exclusively on not altering the taste of the bourbon while stretching the available product and didn't consider the emotional attachment that customers have to the brand and its composition.

Bill Samuels said the company tinkered with how much water to add and keep the taste the same for about three months before making the announcement about the change Monday. It marked the first time the bourbon brand, more than a half-century old, had altered its proof or alcohol volume.

"Our focus was on the supply problem. That led to us focusing on a solution," he said. "We got it totally wrong."

:hmmm:

Sounds familiar

Fritz88
02-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Now lots of people are actually buying the watered down version as a souvenir.
Posted via Mobile Device