PDA

View Full Version : Life What would you need to make to live in another city?

lewdog
02-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Found this to be pretty awesome to look at. Take your current salary where you live and see what you would need to make to live the same way in a different city.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/?iid=F_Jump

loochy
02-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Interesting.

I'd have to make a lot more in most places since things here in Texas are pretty cheap. I NEVER WANT TO MOVE TO CALI - EVER

lewdog
02-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Interesting.

I'd have to make a lot more in most places since things here in Texas are pretty cheap. I NEVER WANT TO MOVE TO CALI - EVER

Yea I live in Phoenix so not much gets cheaper than that either. Except Salina, Kansas. ROFL

Look at the NY cities. Wowzer.

loochy
02-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Yea I live in Phoenix so not much gets cheaper than that either. Except Salina, Kansas. ROFL

Look at the NY cities. Wowzer.

I'll enjoy Texas with a giant house, low crime, and no state income tax

lewdog
02-11-2013, 09:42 AM
I'll enjoy Texas with a giant house, low crime, and no state income tax

If I ever move from Phoenix, it would be to Austin. No doubt about it. Probably the only place in Texas I would live.

Hammock Parties
02-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Forget rent and taxes, even stuff like the price of food in DC and NY is ridiculous compared to other places. 12 eggs cost like $3.

loochy
02-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Forget rent and taxes, even stuff like the price of food in DC and NY is ridiculous compared to other places. 12 eggs cost like $3.

Have you ever been to Hawaii? $7 loaves of normal cheap bread FTW.

Hammock Parties
02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Have you ever been to Hawaii? $7 loaves of normal cheap bread FTW.

WTF. Cost of importing or something?

Rausch
02-11-2013, 09:47 AM

Almost everything has to be shipped there...

loochy
02-11-2013, 09:47 AM

I'm sure it is. Anything that spoils quickly will probably cost a lot there. The normal grocery stores there were insane on bread and milk. Some of the other stuff, like cereal, was somewhat normal priced.

Everything at the Costco there cost the same as it does here in Texas though.

Rausch
02-11-2013, 09:49 AM
For me to move from central Mo to Las Vegas:

Price difference in Las Vegas, NV
Groceries 10% more
Housing 11% more
Utilities 6% less
Transportation 5% more
Health Care 10% more

That's it? Seriously?

$#it must be getting real in LV right now...

mr. tegu
02-11-2013, 09:54 AM

Groceries 10% more
Housing 11% more
Utilities 6% less
Transportation 5% more
Health Care 10% more

That's it? Seriously?

But was your comparable salary less like mine was? Prices rise but my salary shrinks? No thanks.

Frazod
02-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Everywhere I'd like to move is between 20-25% cheaper, but sadly I'd probably take about a 50% salary hit, thereby completely negating the cost-of-living benefits. :(

Rausch
02-11-2013, 10:02 AM
But was your comparable salary less like mine was? Prices rise but my salary shrinks? No thanks.

I'd make 2% more...

loochy
02-11-2013, 10:05 AM

Groceries 10% more
Housing 11% more
Utilities 6% less
Transportation 5% more
Health Care 10% more

That's it? Seriously?

I recently read about cheap housing in Vegas. Also, I saw a House Hunters episode about Vegas and the prices were much more reasonable than I expected.

Rain Man
02-11-2013, 10:05 AM
So far, I can't find a place cheaper than Tupelo, MS. It's 85.047 percent of my current salary.

Rain Man
02-11-2013, 10:07 AM
I recently read about cheap housing in Vegas. Also, I saw a House Hunters episode about Vegas and the prices were much more reasonable than I expected.

Vegas had one of the most severe housing corrections in the country a few years ago. They were overbuilding like crazy and the prices tanked unbelievably low. I was even briefly pondering buying a condo there or something and just waiting out the recession, but I figure it'll take too long to recover.

Rain Man
02-11-2013, 10:08 AM
Wooster, OH, just beat Tupelo. 84.857 percent of my current salary.

loochy
02-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Vegas had one of the most severe housing corrections in the country a few years ago. They were overbuilding like crazy and the prices tanked unbelievably low. I was even briefly pondering buying a condo there or something and just waiting out the recession, but I figure it'll take too long to recover.

Lake Mead will be dried up by then

Rain Man
02-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Oh. Kalamazoo, Michigan. 83.142 percent of my salary.

Frazod
02-11-2013, 10:10 AM

I'd think Vegas would fall under the "Nice place to visit, but..." category. One of my best friends was stationed there (Air Force officer) and absolutely hated it.

Dayze
02-11-2013, 10:13 AM
A can of chew was like $7 in Hawaii back in 1998/99. I remember was 1/4 w cheese meal at McDonalds was like 9. **** that

sd4chiefs
02-11-2013, 10:17 AM

My Son lives in Las Vegas and started looking into buying a house a few months ago. I talked to him this weekend and he said that in the last month houses that were setting on the market for months are now selling in just days.

mr. tegu
02-11-2013, 10:17 AM
A can of chew was like $7 in Hawaii back in 1998/99. I remember was 1/4 w cheese meal at McDonalds was like 9. **** that

At least in Hawaii you may be paying a lot but I imagine it is actually a really nice place to live. Unlike, crazy prices in parts of NY or CA where it is crazy prices plus a horrible place to live.

BigRedChief
02-11-2013, 10:19 AM
I got a big raise but that wasn't the important part. I could never move to a place where I don't want to live for money. Living close to the water and beach was most important. Tired of sliding around on the ice, cold rain, idiots on the road driving when the roads are bad.

Housing is just as cheap as Missouri if you will live 5 minutes from the beach or water. Cost of living is the same. No state tax.

kaplin42
02-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Interesting.

I live in LA, not as bad as Diego, and certainly not as bad as Frisco, but still. Looks like I could make 15K less a year and still keep the same quality of life in the city I want to move to.

loochy
02-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I got a big raise but that wasn't the important part. I could never move to a place where I don't want to live for money. Living close to the water and beach was most important. Tired of sliding around on the ice, cold rain, idiots on the road driving when the roads are bad.

Housing is just as cheap as Missouri if you will live 5 minutes from the beach or water. Cost of living is the same. No state tax.

where?

BigRedChief
02-11-2013, 10:21 AM
My Son lives in Las Vegas and started looking into buying a house a few months ago. I talked to him this weekend and he said that in the last month houses that were setting on the market for months are now selling in just days.Same here in Florida. Market has went up 20% in the last 6 months. We are thinking of buying just to get in before it tops out again.

BigRedChief
02-11-2013, 10:22 AM
where?St. Petersburg, Fl.

Molitoth
02-11-2013, 10:24 AM
I'd think Vegas would fall under the "Nice place to visit, but..." category. One of my best friends was stationed there (Air Force officer) and absolutely hated it.

Yep. My best friend has lived there for the past 7 years and the town is really dwindling.

The constructions jobs have come to a crawl, and in this economy people just aren't coming to Vegas to throw money away like they used to.

Nice getaway, bad place to live. Locals avoid the strip at all costs... just too expensive and too much traffic.

Rausch
02-11-2013, 10:24 AM

Apparently when houses here sit empty you get a few spiders and weather related worries.

There you get scorpion infestations and super fuck you roaches that congregate around water sources.

mr. tegu
02-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Apparently when houses here sit empty you get a few spiders and weather related worries.

There you get scorpion infestations and super **** you roaches that congregate around water sources.

It sounds like they have some bad roaches.

http://s3.vidimg02.popscreen.com/original/45/UjI4LXdCOVJJTmcx_o_family-guy---bad-roaches.jpg

MagicHef
02-11-2013, 10:36 AM
I moved from CO to TX, and I keep hearing how much cheaper it is... but I'm not really convinced.

For example, take buying a house. The house prices are way lower down here, but the property taxes are way higher. So, for a similar house in both places, the total price would be lower here, but the monthly mortgage + taxes payment is the same. However, once the house is paid off, I'm left with an asset that is worth significantly less, while having paid the same amount. Also, I'm still stuck paying the higher taxes.

loochy
02-11-2013, 10:43 AM
I moved from CO to TX, and I keep hearing how much cheaper it is... but I'm not really convinced.

For example, take buying a house. The house prices are way lower down here, but the property taxes are way higher. So, for a similar house in both places, the total price would be lower here, but the monthly mortgage + taxes payment is the same. However, once the house is paid off, I'm left with an asset that is worth significantly less, while having paid the same amount. Also, I'm still stuck paying the higher taxes.

Where are you at? The property taxes vary a lot. For example, in the Fort Worth city limits the taxes are probably 30% higher than if you move to the county west of the city.

MagicHef
02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Where are you at? The property taxes vary a lot. For example, in the Fort Worth city limits the taxes are probably 30% higher than if you move to the county west of the city.

Houston

Rain Man
02-11-2013, 11:14 AM
My Son lives in Las Vegas and started looking into buying a house a few months ago. I talked to him this weekend and he said that in the last month houses that were setting on the market for months are now selling in just days.

Perhaps I underestimated the required recovery time by a decade or two.