PDA

View Full Version : Life Okay, bike (cycle) enthusiasts!!

Ceej
02-13-2013, 02:32 PM
I've decided I am going to start riding a bike to work once the weather gets a tad warmer. It's only 5.8 miles both ways.

Any recommendations or brands to target, or stay away from?

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money -- and will probably wind up just buying something used.

I'll dish out a couple of extra dollars if I can get sweet, red/blue KU streamers and a sweet horn too. So, that won't be an issue.

Thanks!

Molitoth
02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
http://trainerconfessions.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a7979d7d970b014e88e91cce970d-800wi

Omaha
02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I'd look for a cyclocross or performance hybrid bike. I wouldn't worry too much about brand name. Just ride them and buy the one that feels right.

rageeumr
02-13-2013, 02:49 PM
What's the route to work? On the road or on a bike trail?

Do you have any thoughts of riding recreationally in the future, or is this purely a commuter deal?

Omaha
02-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Also, if you haven't already, go to a local bike shop and get fitted. That way, if you decide to buy used, you won't waste time looking at the wrong bikes. Make sure the bike you buy fits you well.

ping2000
02-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Avoid the KU colors unless you desire to get "doored" by MU fans.

Chest Rockwell
02-13-2013, 02:52 PM
I'd look for a cyclocross or performance hybrid bike. I wouldn't worry too much about brand name. Just ride them and buy the one that feels right.

I concur with this. Went into a bit more detail in this post (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=9245649&postcount=41) in another thread, but basically, this.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Avoid the KU colors unless you desire to get "doored" by MU fans.

I live in Topeka, Ks. About 25 miles from Lawrence.

Not too worried about that.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Also, if you haven't already, go to a local bike shop and get fitted. That way, if you decide to buy used, you won't waste time looking at the wrong bikes. Make sure the bike you buy fits you well.

See, I would have never thought about this. I never knew you could get fitted for a bicycle. However, my chode and I would like to thank you!

There's a place in Topeka called CAPPS I plan on checking out soon.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 02:58 PM
What's the route to work? On the road or on a bike trail?

Do you have any thoughts of riding recreationally in the future, or is this purely a commuter deal?

Mostly sidewalks.

I'm doing this mostly to get exercise, save on gas money and wear/tear on my car.

Just commuter, mostly.

rageeumr
02-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Mostly sidewalks.

I'm doing this mostly to get exercise, save on gas money and wear/tear on my car.

Just commuter, mostly.

Then I agree with the suggestion to look at at CX or hybrid bike. You could also look at a true commuter bike.

Chest Rockwell
02-13-2013, 03:10 PM
Mostly sidewalks.

Just commuter, mostly.

Since it's going to be a commuter you might also want to consider something with fender and/or pannier mounts in case of unexpected weather or if you need to carry much.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Then I agree with the suggestion to look at at CX or hybrid bike. You could also look at a true commuter bike.

Any idea what these cost new and used?

tooge
02-13-2013, 03:13 PM
I've got a Specialized. It's a Hard Rock that I bought new in 1991, but it's been awesome. It's a mountain bike but I have hybrid tires on it. Can't say anything bad about the brand.

Chest Rockwell
02-13-2013, 03:25 PM

Like anything else you can spend as much or little as you want.

Figure out what size you need and what you like then watch the list of Craig. Lots of people get bored or buy something that doesn't fit and end up not being able to ride and dump them there.

If the terrain is mild between you and work you could also think about a single speed and not have to worry as much about maintenance.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Like anything else you can spend as much or little as you want.

Figure out what size you need and what you like then watch the list of Craig. Lots of people get bored or buy something that doesn't fit and end up not being able to ride and dump them there.

If the terrain is mild between you and work you could also think about a single speed and not have to worry as much about maintenance.

Not much out there right now in Topeka re: the list of Craig.

My girlfriend found some used bikes for $60. They looked in really good shape and it looks like they would do what I needed them to.

Chest Rockwell
02-13-2013, 03:38 PM
See if you can ride them and if they'll let you adjust things for a decent fit.

And when I say ride them, I don't mean down the block and back, I mean something substantial in comparison to one-way of your commute. If you're planning on wearing a backpack or shoulder bag, load it up like you're going to work and ride with it. That stuff will make a difference.

I'd really advise taking your time and riding several different brands if you can. If you want to use it every day you really need it to feel good.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 03:41 PM
I know my sack will appreciate it in the long run.

I may visit Capps and see if I can get fitted there -- that way I know at least what I am looking for.

tooge
02-13-2013, 03:42 PM
If you go the used route, I'd spend a little extra to have it gone over at a bike shop. Brakes, lube, chain, gears, etc. You don't want to be flying downhill and have something fail on a bicycle.

Omaha
02-13-2013, 03:45 PM

Cyclocross bikes will start at about $900 and can run up to several thousand dollars at your local shop.

Hybrids usually start in the $250 - $300 range up to about $2K or more.

If you want to save cash AND you're very comfortable with your size and the style of bike you want, you can save quite a bit buying online from bikesdirect.com. You can get a cylcocross bike for less than $400. The bikes come partially assembled so you'll have some work to do and you may want to have it checked out by your bike shop for a small fee. You are also buying a bike you've never ridden so you'll be rolling the dice that you'll like the feel of it.

I know people who've gone this route and they've been happy. I prefer to test ride my bikes before I buy.

Let us know what you decide.

Omaha
02-13-2013, 03:50 PM
If you go the used route, I'd spend a little extra to have it gone over at a bike shop. Brakes, lube, chain, gears, etc. You don't want to be flying downhill and have something fail on a bicycle.

Great suggestion. My buddy bought a used mountain bike that looked to be in decent shape. He had some problems with gears slipping and learned that all of the cables needed replaced and had to shell out another $150-$200 to get it right.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 03:51 PM
I will be sure to do so.

I'm assuming those prices are brand new.

Admittedly, a little out of my price range.

So, it looks like going used - getting fitted, and doing excess repairs at a shop sounds like my best bet as of right now.

Mojo Jojo
02-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Get fitted. I have a Trek hybrid...a great bike.

rageeumr
02-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Just throwing this out there, but typically a bike shop will throw in a fitting if you're buying a bike, but will charge otherwise. Of course every shop is different, but you probably don't want to spend as much on a fitting as you do on your bike.

I found this site to be decent in determining fit, at least as far as road bikes go.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

It's not going to be as accurate as being professionally fitted, but the price is right.

BlackHelicopters
02-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Hybrid is the way to go.

Chest Rockwell
02-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Unless you're pretty mechanically inclined I wouldn't do too much wrenching of your own (partially assembled bikes). If you decide to go the bikes direct route and you're not mechanical just let a shop do the build depending on what, exactly needs to be done.

But definitely do learn some basic field adjustments. I've had to adjust the
indexing on several times on rides to use all the gears. Especially when I fail to keep things shiny side up.

That said, I had no idea there were so many cyclists on the board. We may need a "Pedro's Sweet Bike" thread to post your ride(s) in.

And anybody be interested in a CP Strava group or something? Maybe competing with you mastidges is what I need to get my fat ass in the saddle more this winter.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Feel free to use this thread as a CP bicyclist haven.

I am sure once my bike is purchased I will post here frequently.

i just thought it would be great to ride to work to save some money on car maintenance and get fit.

TEX
02-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Just get a single speed commuter bike. Low maintence, comfortable, and TOUGH as nails. Trek makes a good one.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/urban_utility/earl/

Ceej
02-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Yeahhhhhhh...

$400 is still out of my price range.

Mojo Jojo
02-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Many bike stores will have used bikes at a good price.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Many bike stores will have used bikes at a good price.

Right now - that's looking like my best option.

Chest Rockwell
02-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Right now - that's looking like my best option.

If you're going under four-hunge your best bet is probably used, will be hard to get a major brand (I have brands I prefer, but I don't brand advocate because it's subjective; I can tell you who I like, but they may not fit you as well as me. A lot of the frames from a lot of the big brands are all probably made in the same couple of factories in Taiwan with brand-specified geometries and decaled for whatever brand anyway. What I'm really talking about is an established reputation that probably won't get you a lemon or attempted sodomy.) for that new. You could check Performance Bikes, the Fuji and Scatantte stuff is good even if snobs consider them "off" brands. I've also heard decent things about the Motobecanes from the previously mentioned bikes direct. Typically I stay away from brand reccos, but with a lower budget in mind I would have more of a concern with overall build quality in budget brands.

I've seen people but internet bikes as an xxx, Dura Ace (implying a full DA gruppo) for a great price, not reading the specs and getting a bike with a DA cassette and the rest go the gruppo is a mix of 105/Alivo. Shame on them for not reading, but still a shitty bait-and-switch type tactic.

And thanks for offering this as a repository, didn't want to thread-jack you too hard.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 06:25 PM
I just don't want to overspend on something which is basically a recreational, commuter bike.

And I work in the flooring business - trust me, I am aware of the "get what you pay for" motto.

I think at maximum I would spend $200 on a bike. I think that's reasonable for a used bike.

I guess I didn't know near enough about bikes than I had originally thought.

I will swing by Capps on Friday to start actually looking.

Bugeater
02-13-2013, 06:35 PM
It's going to be tough to find something decent in that price range. If you get a crappy bike, you won't enjoy riding and it will end up collecting dust in your garage. I just dropped nearly $1000 on a new bike, and I had to settle for low-end components at that price. Plus I'll be in for another $300 in accessories by the time I'm done. It's not a cheap hobby but it can be a lot of fun. And in my case, it's stress relief. I love going out by myself on some of the rural trails and just getting away from it all for several hours. It's hard to put a price on that.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 06:39 PM
There's just no way I can shell out much more than $200 for a commuter bike.

And I realize I am not going to get a great bike for $200 or less.

I just want something I can ride to and from work comfortably.

Bugeater
02-13-2013, 06:44 PM
How far is your commute?

Chest Rockwell
02-13-2013, 06:45 PM
It can be expensive, but don't let that discourage you.

For $200 you should be able to find something used to fit your needs, it may just take some patience and work.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 06:46 PM
How far is your commute?

5.8 miles total.

All pavement/sidewalks.

Bugeater
02-13-2013, 06:52 PM
5.8 miles total.

All pavement/sidewalks.
Shit, that was in the OP. Reading fail. :facepalm:

I suppose you may be able to find an older, halfway decent road bike for that money as long as you're not that picky. Just don't buy a mountain bike, they tend to be heavier, they are geared lower, and the knobby tires create a lot of rolling resistance.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Shit, that was in the OP. Reading fail. :facepalm:

I suppose you may be able to find an older, halfway decent road bike for that money as long as you're not that picky. Just don't buy a mountain bike, they tend to be heavier, they are geared lower, and the knobby tires create a lot of rolling resistance.

I'm really not picky. Like I said, I understand you get what you pay for. Hell, it could be pretty pink - I could just tell all of the onlookers who stare at me awkwardly that I support breast cancer.

All I am looking for is something that actually rides and fits me and my junior well.

Chest Rockwell
02-13-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm really not picky. Like I said, I understand you get what you pay for. Hell, it could be pretty pink - I could just tell all of the onlookers who stare at me awkwardly that I support breast cancer.

All I am looking for is something that actually rides and fits me and my junior well.

I wouldn't completely rule out mtb's if you find a smokin deal on one. It'll be heavier, but you may like the riding position more than a road bike and depending on the commute you may appreciate the lower gears. I know there have been many times I wished for something lower on my road bike, but I don't ever think I've needed more on the high end. And you can always swap the knobbies out for street tires.

And don't hate on pink. There's a special standing for it in racing culture. I had a pink Crux frame I built up for cyclocross for a while. There's no shame in that game.

Chest Rockwell
02-13-2013, 07:27 PM
http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/01/28/1/stybar_specialized_pink_1_c_tdwsport_600.jpg

Tell me that's not dead sexy.

Edit, for preemptive clarification, not me. Just same frame I was talking about (minus the world champ badging, natch).

Ceej
02-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Trust me. I like da' boobs.

Bugeater
02-13-2013, 07:51 PM
I know there have been many times I wished for something lower on my road bike, but I don't ever think I've needed more on the high end.
Heh, I'm just the opposite. I've been riding a hybrid for the last 12 years and I rarely use the low gears. OTOH, I got sick of other people on road bikes blowing by me on descents because I'm spun out. I bought my new bike specifically because it had more high end.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Pardon my ignorance -- but what's wrong with just a standard mountain bike?

Other than weight. Seems like they'd be more in my price range.

Bugeater
02-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Pardon my ignorance -- but what's wrong with just a standard mountain bike?

Other than weight. Seems like they'd be more in my price range.
Well if you don't mind the extra weight (it's going to work you harder) and you don't care about top end and you change out the tires like Chest mentioned...nothing really.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Well if you don't mind the extra weight (it's going to work you harder) and you don't care about top end and you change out the tires like Chest mentioned...nothing really.

The weight wouldn't bother me. I would imagine it'd help my rides from a fitness perspective.

I just asked because when I did ride bikes that was really all I was accustomed to.

Bugeater
02-13-2013, 08:12 PM
The weight wouldn't bother me. I would imagine it'd help my rides from a fitness perspective.

I just asked because when I did ride bikes that was really all I was accustomed to.
Yeah it probably won't make that big of a difference on a 6 mile ride. But for any serious rider, weight is evil. And definitely avoid anything with a full suspension, especially on a low-end bike, that's going to add a crapton of completely unnecessary weight.

griZZly64
02-13-2013, 08:16 PM
if youre serious about doing this from now on you need to plop down around $500-$600.. the money u save from gas will pay for that quickly. Or you could buy a cheap bike like i did for like $150 then a year later after you've gone to the bike repair shop 100 times you'll realize you should have spent some more money on it.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't mind going the the learner, cheaper bike route first. If it is something for me i could always buy a better bike down the line.

And keep in mind i live in Kansas - i probably won't be riding 4-6 months out of the year. At least to work anyway.

Chest Rockwell
02-13-2013, 08:27 PM

Yeah, nothing at all wrong w/mtb's. Like Bugeater said heavier and lower top end. If you're good with that you'll probably appreciate the extra gears. And the fact that you really don't need any suspension will bring down the cost. Basically you're getting a performance hybrid with more gears but no hipster markup. A circa 1995 hardtail w/o suspension fork mtb in good shape like a Specialized hardrock (I think someone mentioned this bike earlier, props.) or Giant iguana sounds like something that would work well for you.

I had and absolutely loved both of those bikes in the past. Wish I hadn't sold them.

Re: too high vs. low gearing that Bugeater mentioned, that makes sense with the hybrid. We're apples to oranges on that one. My race bike has more balls than I have brains, but then again, that's what makes it so much fun. I can't spin it out on a downhill at 75 kph (it's not even in top gear at that; hell the top pros can sprint that on a flat); I've had it around 100, but fear of death outweighed curiosity so I was feathering the brakes rather than spinning so I don't know if I can out spin it. Someday maybe my handling skills will approach it's performance, but it's more likely my confidence will just outrun my ability and things will end poorly.

Bugeater
02-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Yeah, nothing at all wrong w/mtb's. Like Bugeater said heavier and lower top end. If you're good with that you'll probably appreciate the extra gears. And the fact that you really don't need any suspension will bring down the cost. Basically you're getting a performance hybrid with more gears but no hipster markup. A circa 1995 hardtail w/o suspension fork mtb in good shape like a Specialized hardrock (I think someone mentioned this bike earlier, props.) or Giant iguana sounds like something that would work well for you.

I had and absolutely loved both of those bikes in the past. Wish I hadn't sold them.

Re: too high vs. low gearing that Bugeater mentioned, that makes sense with the hybrid. We're apples to oranges on that one. My race bike has more balls than I have brains, but then again, that's what makes it so much fun. I can't spin it out on a downhill at 75 kph (it's not even in top gear at that; hell the top pros can sprint that on a flat); I've had it around 100, but fear of death outweighed curiosity so I was feathering the brakes rather than spinning so I don't know if I can out spin it. Someday maybe my handling skills will approach it's performance, but it's more likely my confidence will just outrun my ability and things will end poorly.
kph? Are you in Canada? I had to go out to the car and see what that means in US speed, which looks to be around 40 mph. Yeah, that's freaking flying on a bike. I'm spun out around 25 mph on my hybrid, although I did manage to somehow get it to 29.8 one time by catching a sweet draft. But no way I could maintain a speed like that for any amount of time on that damn thing. I'm real anxious to get out and find out what the new one can do, but yeah, I don't want to die trying.

Chest Rockwell
02-13-2013, 08:59 PM
kph? Are you in Canada? I had to go out to the car and see what that means in US speed, which looks to be around 40 mph. Yeah, that's freaking flying on a bike. I'm spun out around 25 mph on my hybrid, although I did manage to somehow get it to 29.8 one time by catching a sweet draft. But no way I could maintain a speed like that for any amount of time on that damn thing. I'm real anxious to get out and find out what the new one can do, but yeah, I don't want to die trying.

LMAO

No gawdammit I'm a real ****ing 'murican (queue the Hulk Hogan music). Ok, East Coaster, but don't hold that against me. I was born in Kansas and raised in Missouri.

I do the metrics re: cycling because that's what I'm used to being accepted in the culture. I live in DC and my normal rides average about 17 mph over hilly terrain. I ride with a lot of bike messengers recreationally, which is when my ego overtakes my sense and things go to weaving in and out of traffic at 30-35 (that sounds pretty slow until you're on a bike in stop and go traffic with a bunch of east coast drivers) mph and going 60ish on long downhills.

I'm getting a little smarter as I become an old ass man and cutting way back on those shenanigans.

Lzen
02-13-2013, 09:00 PM
http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/01/28/1/stybar_specialized_pink_1_c_tdwsport_600.jpg

Tell me that's not dead sexy.

Edit, for preemptive clarification, not me. Just same frame I was talking about (minus the world champ badging, natch).
ROFL
A pink bike and the gay flag on his uniform. Yeah that's not sexy. Well unless you're a homo.

Lzen
02-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Yeah it probably won't make that big of a difference on a 6 mile ride. But for any serious rider, weight is evil. And definitely avoid anything with a full suspension, especially on a low-end bike, that's going to add a crapton of completely unnecessary weight.

I bought a pacific dual shock in 99.Thing is tough as a tank. But the dual shock really saps momentum. I just started getting back into riding late last summer. I realized that I really need to get a single. But I love having a mountain bike. Love having the option of being able to ride nature trails as well as streets /sidewalks.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 09:11 PM
I bought a pacific dual shock in 99.Thing is tough as a tank. But the dual shock really saps momentum. I just started getting back into riding late last summer. I realized that I really need to get a single. But I love having a mountain bike. Love having the option of being able to ride nature trails as well as streets /sidewalks.

Now that i know this -- i am going to hunt you down and Grand Theft Auto your ass.

Lzen
02-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Now that i know this -- i am going to hunt you down and Grand Theft Autographed your ass.

I've also got a pos that I've been riding because it is old and has no suspension. When you get your bike, feel free to hit me up if you wanna go ride.

Lzen
02-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Btw chest Rockwell, I was j/k about the homo. NTTAWWT

Lzen
02-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Also if nobody has told you yet, the Shunga/Landon trails are good concrete trails through town for recreational riding.

Bugeater
02-13-2013, 09:19 PM
LMAO

No gawdammit I'm a real ****ing 'murican (queue the Hulk Hogan music). Ok, East Coaster, but don't hold that against me. I was born in Kansas and raised in Missouri.

I do the metrics re: cycling because that's what I'm used to being accepted in the culture. I live in DC and my normal rides average about 17 mph over hilly terrain. I ride with a lot of bike messengers recreationally, which is when my ego overtakes my sense and things go to weaving in and out of traffic at 30-35 (that sounds pretty slow until you're on a bike in stop and go traffic with a bunch of east coast drivers) mph and going 60ish on long downhills.

I'm getting a little smarter as I become an old ass man and cutting way back on those shenanigans.
Ah, gotcha. I don't do traffic at all. I stick to shared use trails which aren't designed with speed in mind but there are some occasional stretches where you can haul some ass. I hit the 29.8 on a descent on a recently paved "rail trail", so no sharp turns or potholes or other surprises to worry about. I usually average 15 mph or so on my hybrid, so again, I'm anxious to see how much I can improve that on the road bike.

Ceej
02-13-2013, 09:23 PM
I've also got a pos that I've been riding because it is old and has no suspension. When you get your bike, feel free to hit me up if you wanna go ride.

As long as you don't mind a big guy on a pink bike, with a rainbow on my ass cheeks you've got it. :thumb:

Bugeater
02-13-2013, 09:24 PM
That's what hybrids are for, I'll ride mine anywhere.

Lzen
02-13-2013, 09:29 PM
That's what hybrids are for, I'll ride mine anywhere.

I don't know anything about hybrids. They weren't around the last time I bought a new bike.

Bugeater
02-13-2013, 09:37 PM
I don't know anything about hybrids. They weren't around the last time I bought a new bike.
Sure they were, they just weren't popular. Mountain bikes were all the rage in the 90s. Think mine is a 97 or 98 model, I don't really know for sure because I'm not the original owner.

BigOlChiefsfan
02-14-2013, 01:10 AM
http://bikeshops.mtbr.com/cat/united-states/kansas/bikeshop/lawrence-re-cyclery/prd_437755_6250crx.aspx

Take a look at this used-bike shop in Lawrence. I believe they will buy their bikes back if you decide you need something else. The other place I've seen some decent used bike buys - pawn shops. I've bought a few nice old bikes off Craigslist, too.

Some stuff off my bike-links:

http://www.bikecommuters.com/
http://www.commutebybike.com/
http://amsterdamize.com/
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/search?q=bicycle
http://bicycletutor.com/
http://www.howtofixbikes.ca/

Chest Rockwell
02-14-2013, 05:06 AM
Btw chest Rockwell, I was j/k about the homo. NTTAWWT

No worries man, I didn't think otherwise.

Besides, when you're a road biker you get used to being called a skinny, spandex-wearing, leg-shaving roadie f*ggot. And that's just by mountain bikers. Drivers aren't even THAT nice.

:(

Chest Rockwell
02-14-2013, 05:15 AM
Ah, gotcha. I don't do traffic at all. I stick to shared use trails which aren't designed with speed in mind but there are some occasional stretches where you can haul some ass. I hit the 29.8 on a descent on a recently paved "rail trail", so no sharp turns or potholes or other surprises to worry about. I usually average 15 mph or so on my hybrid, so again, I'm anxious to see how much I can improve that on the road bike.

I avoid traffic as much as I can these days, but being in DC I can't avoid it all together. And like I said, I'm not as much of a moron as I used to be. At some point I figured out 150 pounds of me on 15 of carbon fiber was not a good matchup vs cars.

That said I stay off multi-use trails and sidewalks as much as I can. I've had more accidents on those because of people who don't pay attention to their dogs or kids or are on the phone/listening to music than I ever have on the road (when I wreck on the road it's usually because I did something stupid). I always call in those situations but people are just oblivious.

Dayze
02-14-2013, 06:18 AM
Dude I work with needed to lose some pounds per the doctor, so he went out a got a sweet bike. He said he lives about 12 miles from work. He's now at the point where he rides in basically anytime it's not raining. Dude has dropped some serious poundage fairly quickly.

I'm taking CP advice and getting fitted if/when I get a ride.

02-14-2013, 06:31 AM
I used to ride a bike all the time then discovered jogging/running. Now it just collects dust unless the kids want to go for a ride.

Hell, at 5.8 miles you could build up the stamina to jog that in no time. :)

Ceej
02-14-2013, 07:39 AM
I used to ride a bike all the time then discovered jogging/running. Now it just collects dust unless the kids want to go for a ride.

Hell, at 5.8 miles you could build up the stamina to jog that in no time. :)

I say FUCK THAT!

02-14-2013, 07:43 AM
I say **** THAT!

Oh come on, you can do it. You can even eat my dust.:thumb:

Ceej
02-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Oh come on, you can do it. You can even eat my dust.:thumb:

Howie says NO DEAL!

Mr. Plow
02-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Feel free to use this thread as a CP bicyclist haven.

I am sure once my bike is purchased I will post here frequently.

i just thought it would be great to ride to work to save some money on car maintenance and get fit.

Mrs. Plow has always kind of laughed it off when I said I want to ride a bike to work during the summer. I've been really thinking about doing it this year.

Omaha
02-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Just throwing this out there, but typically a bike shop will throw in a fitting if you're buying a bike, but will charge otherwise. Of course every shop is different, but you probably don't want to spend as much on a fitting as you do on your bike.

I found this site to be decent in determining fit, at least as far as road bikes go.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

It's not going to be as accurate as being professionally fitted, but the price is right.

We're not talking about having a bike fitting done. He simply needs to know if he'll need a 56cm frame etc. Any shop will help him with that while he's shopping.

Omaha
02-14-2013, 08:37 AM
It's going to be tough to find something decent in that price range. If you get a crappy bike, you won't enjoy riding and it will end up collecting dust in your garage. I just dropped nearly $1000 on a new bike, and I had to settle for low-end components at that price. Plus I'll be in for another $300 in accessories by the time I'm done. It's not a cheap hobby but it can be a lot of fun. And in my case, it's stress relief. I love going out by myself on some of the rural trails and just getting away from it all for several hours. It's hard to put a price on that.

You love going out by yourself or you can't find anyone who is willing to ride with you? :evil:

Have you gotten the new bike out yet?

Ceej
02-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Mrs. Plow has always kind of laughed it off when I said I want to ride a bike to work during the summer. I've been really thinking about doing it this year.

If you also get a bike we can go shop for helmets together! LMAO

Mr. Plow
02-14-2013, 08:40 AM
If you also get a bike we can go shop for helmets together! LMAO

http://www.thisblogrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bike-helmet.jpg

Omaha
02-14-2013, 08:43 AM

This. If you're looking for an extra workout, it's not a bad option.

Ceej
02-14-2013, 08:43 AM

I would prefer to be a boobies head. Not an ass head.

Omaha
02-14-2013, 08:51 AM
I may be looking at hybrids this summer. This is the one I think I want, but I certainly don't need it:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/sirrus/sirruslimited

Ceej
02-14-2013, 08:54 AM
I would prefer to be a boobies head. Not an ass head.

Although, if I wore that helmet my goatee would make a pretty awesome bush.

Omaha
02-14-2013, 08:59 AM

I assume that one works well for Plow as it would be difficult to discern if he were wearing the helmet or not.

rageeumr
02-14-2013, 09:01 AM
And anybody be interested in a CP Strava group or something? Maybe competing with you mastidges is what I need to get my fat ass in the saddle more this winter.

That sounds like an awesome idea. But no stealing my one and only KOM!

http://app.strava.com/segments/1965485

Mr. Plow
02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
I assume that one works well for Plow as it would be difficult to discern if he were wearing the helmet or not.

http://www.sourcelink.com/images/esig/jerk_pic_1.jpg?sfvrsn=0

Ceej
02-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Much like some female bums, there is a little fuzz on his head.

Mr. Plow
02-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Much like some female bums, there is a little fuzz on his head.

http://www.sourcelink.com/images/esig/jerk_pic_1.jpg?sfvrsn=0

Frosty
02-14-2013, 09:18 AM
A lot of bike shops in my area clearance out last year's models this time of year. I have seen basic Specialized Hardrock mtb at $250. You don't get things like disc brakes at that price but it's a solid bike that you can update later if you want. A used bike might be cheaper at first but you will likely have to pour money into it.

Just don't go with a department store bike. Specialized and Trek offer some nice, low priced entry level bikes.

Chest Rockwell
02-14-2013, 10:27 AM
I may be looking at hybrids this summer. This is the one I think I want, but I certainly don't need it:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/sirrus/sirruslimited

Come on, it's not about need. And that's a nice bike; I considered the Sirrus last year when I got my newest bike.

Omaha
02-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Come on, it's not about need. And that's a nice bike; I considered the Sirrus last year when I got my newest bike.

You're right. I must have it.

Chest Rockwell
02-14-2013, 11:28 AM
That sounds like an awesome idea. But no stealing my one and only KOM!

http://app.strava.com/segments/1965485

Oh you done done it. Now I know where it is. I'm adding that to my calendar for my next trip back that way.

Seriously though some people are crazy about that. I know a couple of guys who just go around trying to poach each other's KOMs. And they actually legitimately dislike each other.

Chest Rockwell
02-14-2013, 11:28 AM
You're right. I must have it.

That's the spirit.

Bugeater
02-14-2013, 11:41 AM
You love going out by yourself or you can't find anyone who is willing to ride with you? :evil:

Have you gotten the new bike out yet?
I have like 5 miles on it. I'm dying to get out.

Omaha
02-14-2013, 11:47 AM
I have like 5 miles on it. I'm dying to get out.

In a month or so we should be ready to go!

rageeumr
02-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Oh you done done it. Now I know where it is. I'm adding that to my calendar for my next trip back that way.

Seriously though some people are crazy about that. I know a couple of guys who just go around trying to poach each other's KOMs. And they actually legitimately dislike each other.

I don't personally know anyone who does it, but I see it all the time on forums like Slowtwitch. I'm not a legit cyclist, I just do it because I enjoy triathlon. So I'm used to trying to maintain a constant wattage. Dead sprints in the middle of a ride totally screw me up.

The ride where I set that KOM was right after my fall A race. I was done seriously training for the year, but still in good shape. This segment was right by my house and the conditions were perfect for it (pretty strong tailwind) so I went for it. I went max effort over the segment, and it killed the rest of my ride. It was only ~20 miles, but I totally limped home.

Chest Rockwell
02-14-2013, 12:38 PM
In a month or so we should be ready to go!

What, no winter riding?

:harumph:

I haven't gotten out nearly as much this winter as I'd like either. Been fighting with respiratory issues so I probably haven't been on a bike in 6 weeks.

rageeumr
02-14-2013, 12:42 PM
What, no winter riding?

I haven't gotten out nearly as much this winter as I'd like either. Been fighting with respiratory issues so I probably haven't been on a bike in 6 weeks.

Maybe selective memory, but I feel like I was out nearly every weekend last winter. This winter I actually bucked up and bought proper winter riding gear, and I've only been out probably 5 times since November.

Omaha
02-14-2013, 12:58 PM
What, no winter riding?

I did last winter, but I'm trying to deal with an injury that is aggravated by riding. I may have to lose my road bike and get a hybrid so I can stay in a less aggressive position. My doctor told me to stay off of the bikes until spring. I guess it's a good time to take a break. I have too many hobbies anyway.

Chest Rockwell
02-14-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't personally know anyone who does it, but I see it all the time on forums like Slowtwitch. I'm not a legit cyclist, I just do it because I enjoy triathlon. So I'm used to trying to maintain a constant wattage. Dead sprints in the middle of a ride totally screw me up.

The ride where I set that KOM was right after my fall A race. I was done seriously training for the year, but still in good shape. This segment was right by my house and the conditions were perfect for it (pretty strong tailwind) so I went for it. I went max effort over the segment, and it killed the rest of my ride. It was only ~20 miles, but I totally limped home.

Too many "legit" cyclists take that kind of stuff waaaay too seriously.

I hadn't been doing much of anything competitively for years until I moved out here and started doing triathlons (I'd spent the prior decade plus in Utah and Colorado, so I was all about mountain biking). I moved out of it to focus on riding after a couple of years because I realized I didn't like running that much and I ended up HATING open-water mass starts. I could earn decent results on the strength of my cycling and the adequacy of my running, but I'm a slow ass swimmer. When you've got 40 year old dudes grabbing your ankles, elbowing and swimming over you so they can place 19th in their age group instead of 22nd, that shit loses it's novelty. I ended up loving training for tri (especially the swimming), but hating the swim and just tolerating the run during events.

As bad as some triathletes are about competitiveness and gear-snobbery, a lot of "legit" cyclists are about 5 times worse.

Chest Rockwell
02-14-2013, 01:07 PM
I did last winter, but I'm trying to deal with an injury that is aggravated by riding. I may have to lose my road bike and get a hybrid so I can stay in a less aggressive position. My doctor told me to stay off of the bikes until spring. I guess it's a good time to take a break. I have too many hobbies anyway.

That sucks man, but good luck with the recovery.

As a fellow collector of hobbies, I completely understand that last sentence.

Lzen
02-14-2013, 01:50 PM

ROFL

I gotta get me one of those.

Lzen
02-14-2013, 01:53 PM

This thread got really gay really fast. :spock:

Chest Rockwell
02-16-2013, 12:45 PM
This thread got really gay really fast. :spock:

Oh come on, it was gay by most standards waaaaay before that. It's a thread about growed-ass men riding bicycles.

But you seem to be the only one hung up on it. It's ok, this is a safe place. Don't anger R. Kelly.

:p

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoYVxWyYhSNapHt7xInHKVZc-k8SlgR6sEePkYpXDzCWhj2mncSA

I keed, I keed.

Oh, and thanks to Cjizzles for starting this thread. Because of this I got my @ss out the door for the first time in a couple months on a short ride(a lingering respiratory issue).

It was about 35, overcast and breezy, and the man with the hammer found me early and often but I feel pretty good, despite the lung peas I'm now coughing up (Belgian gummy bears). I figure that means I'm just blowing out the cobwebs.

In58men
03-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Well my brother and my dad talked me into getting a bike today. I'm not the type of guy to spend a lot off money at once, but today I did. I went to Finishline and bought a Giant Roam 2 bike.

My brother let me ride his and I fell in love. This is going to be my new hobby for the mean time, I'm excited to ride the trails. We have an awesome bike path here.

keg in kc
03-21-2014, 07:04 PM
Hit the 100 mile mark for 2014 today. Didn't start cycling until April 22nd last year and didn't hit 100 miles until May 15th, so way ahead of schedule. Seem to be getting back into it more quickly than I expected, already approaching a full hour on the saddle without breaking for leg/hand recovery. Should finish March over 150 miles, and might be hitting 20 mile rides in early April, which would be a great start to the year.

Bugeater
03-21-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm only at the 90 mile mark for the year right now, and it looks like I'm going to be stuck there at least another week because the weather is going to hell again. :mad:

jd1020
03-21-2014, 07:27 PM
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/4376503390.html

Ragged Robin
03-21-2014, 07:44 PM
I have a Nashbar touring bicycle that I use to go virtually everywhere (work, groceries, etc). Have front and back racks and have my back rack loaded with pannier/saddle bags that I never take off. Don't care about speed/efficiency, etc. This is the first year of my adult life using a bike instead of a car as my main means of transportation and it's more of a way of life I guess as opposed to a hobby or sport like all you racers and stuff out there.

http://i.imgur.com/YfMYHAb.png

Great Expectations
03-21-2014, 08:00 PM
I've been wondering how the nashbar bikes are; I have a Specialized Roubaix SL4 and am interested in a fixie if I can find a quality one for under a g spot.

BigRichard
09-09-2014, 06:54 AM
Do you guys think this is a good deal?

https://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/4646014260.html

From what I have read these are nice bikes. The only weird thing is he states it is a 2004 Pinarello Dogma frame but the wikipedia page for it says the Dogma frames didn't start until 2010.

I could really care less about all the extra crap he has going with it. Just what I want, sweaty used shirts.

Graystoke
09-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Do you guys think this is a good deal?

https://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/4646014260.html

From what I have read these are nice bikes. The only weird thing is he states it is a 2004 Pinarello Dogma frame but the wikipedia page for it says the Dogma frames didn't start until 2010.

I could really care less about all the extra crap he has going with it. Just what I want, sweaty used shirts.

Pinarello's are good frames. It comes with Ultegra, which is just a great groupo.
With all that other stuff included it seems like a good deal, especially items like the bike pump. Used bike equipment doesn't sell real good. I would low ball this and see if he bites

Great Expectations
09-09-2014, 07:01 AM
I'd rather get this bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Specialized-Tarmac-Comp-56cm-/261586009150?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item3ce7bdbc3e

BigRichard
09-09-2014, 08:21 AM
Pinarello's are good frames. It comes with Ultegra, which is just a great groupo.
With all that other stuff included it seems like a good deal, especially items like the bike pump. Used bike equipment doesn't sell real good. I would low ball this and see if he bites

I was already negotiating a little bit and he said he will come down to $950. I haven't given him a response yet.

Ragged Robin
11-06-2014, 09:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/EF7Z1wL.png

check dis shit. quad fork-mounted headlights so that cars know to **** off

11-07-2014, 01:10 AM
http://i.imgur.com/EF7Z1wL.png

check dis shit. quad fork-mounted headlights so that cars know to **** off

Yes, because cars are soooo scared of cyclists.

kcchiefsus
11-07-2014, 04:33 AM
Pussy road bikes.

Ragged Robin
11-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Pussy road bikes.

mine's a touring bike :harumph: people who ride around the city on a mountain bike are silly

Omaha
11-07-2014, 11:38 AM
mine's a touring bike :harumph: people who ride around the city on a mountain bike are silly

This.

CaliforniaChief
11-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Does anyone else in here do RAGBRAI? I'm planning to do it this coming summer...I grew up in Iowa and when I decided to get healthy, I made it my goal.

Graystoke
11-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Does anyone else in here do RAGBRAI? I'm planning to do it this coming summer...I grew up in Iowa and when I decided to get healthy, I made it my goal.

Start training now.
Do four shots of Tequila every morning followed by 10 beers. Ride your bike 7 miles to the nearest pub and repeat the Tequila shots and beers, Ride 5 more miles to a strip club that plays Metalica non stop. Do a beer slide at said strip Club.
Go home and pitch a tent in your backyard. Ride to the pub and drink Jaegerbombs till every fat chick looks dooable. Ride to a different tent, in a different town and act surprised that you are not in your own tent. Ask her if you can stay.

CaliforniaChief
11-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Start training now.
Do four shots of Tequila every morning followed by 10 beers. Ride your bike 7 miles to the nearest pub and repeat the Tequila shots and beers, Ride 5 more miles to a strip club that plays Metalica non stop. Do a beer slide at said strip Club.
Go home and pitch a tent in your backyard. Ride to the pub and drink Jaegerbombs till every fat chick looks dooable. Ride to a different tent, in a different town and act surprised that you are not in your own tent. Ask her if you can stay.

LMAO

So I've heard. I'm actually there for the cycling, but I'll have a cold one and a massive steak when I finish. :D

Graystoke
11-07-2014, 12:21 PM
LMAO

So I've heard. I'm actually there for the cycling, but I'll have a cold one and a massive steak when I finish. :D

Yeah I haven't done it in years. Reports are its a lot more restrictive. I stopped going when they started treating riders like cattle. Kicking them out of the last towns before the overnights etc.
But if your native you know how hot and humid it gets in July. Just find a good group to go with and enjoy

tooge
11-07-2014, 12:39 PM
I've got a Specialized I bought 20 years ago. Ride it all the time

Great Expectations
11-07-2014, 03:05 PM

I'm considering it next year. I'm going to do a multi day ride I just don't know where.