PDA

View Full Version : Life Golfer bitten by Black Widow Spider, digs out venom with golf tee

FloridaMan88
02-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Female golfers are tough apparently...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/13/golfer-black-widow-spider-bite/1917039/

Golfer bit by black widow spider, digs out venom with spare tee

An encounter at an LPGA pre-qualifying tournament gives new meaning to the concept of golf course hazards.

A rookie on the Ladies European Tour was bitten by a spider during a round in Canberra, Australia, then dug out the venom with a spare golf tee and finished the round.

Let me repeat: She dug out the venom with a golf tee and finished the round.

I've seen golfers call it quits on the turn because they ran out of bug spray.

Daniela Holmqvist, a rookie from Sweden, had just hit out of the rough on the fourth hole at a tournament in Australia when she felt a sharp stab above her ankle. She saw a small, black spider with that familiar red marking on its back scurry away.

Local caddies recognized the threat and mentioned that the spider's bite can be deadly for a child in less than an hour. Holmqvist decided not to wait. With the leg swelling and the pain intensifying, she found the first sharp object she could and dug out the venom.

"A clear fluid came out," she told Karin Klarström of Svensk Golf. "It wasn't the prettiest thing I've ever done, but I had to get as much of it out of me as possible."

Australia isn't home to the black widow spider, which is native to North America. A tournament official on Thursday told the Associated Press that Holmqvist was more than likely bitten by a redback, another species of widow spider known as the Latrodectus Hasselti. The Australian Museum said on its website that redback bites occur frequently in the summer months and 250 cases receive antivenom each year, with many others going unreported.

Holmqvist, who graduated from Cal last year, played the next 14 holes with a medic following. She shot a 74.

The 24-year-old said on Twitter that she's on a double-dose of antibiotics and is doing fine, though golf will have to take a temporary backseat. When she asked the doctor whether she could work out, the doctor responded with a "death stare."

This should decide it. If you play golf, never hit it in the rough again. And on the off-chance you do, just take a free drop in the middle of the fairway instead of digging around the fescue. If your playing partners balk, tell them it's a matter of life and death. And then write a 74 down on your scorecard to honor the heroic Ms. Holmqvist.

Lzen
02-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Wow. That's a tough woman.

alnorth
02-13-2013, 09:27 PM
SHE FINISHED THE ROUND!!!

This chick got bit by a F'ing black widow, dug out the venom with a golf tee, said "OK, I'm good", and kept golfing!

listopencil
02-14-2013, 12:33 AM
http://www.lidingogk.se/dynamaster/image_archive/original/64e8c4dd0db5732f7fdbf7851edf5463.jpg

Bump
02-14-2013, 12:54 AM
wow what a tough bitch. I like it.

HoneyBadger
02-14-2013, 01:01 AM
I bet should could take a dick.

Bump
02-14-2013, 01:11 AM

she definitely should and could

WhiteWhale
02-14-2013, 02:15 AM
It's not like she got bit by a fuckin' king cobra or something...

TimeForWasp
02-14-2013, 02:52 AM

She would just dig it out with a golf T and keep going.

Dayze
02-14-2013, 05:55 AM

ROFL

Abba-Dabba
02-14-2013, 06:00 AM
ROFL at anyone who thinks getting bit by a spider and finishing a round of golf is tough. BUT OH MMMM GEEE, SHE WAS BIT BY A BLACK WIDOW, DON'T YOU KNOW!?!?! YOU KNOW, THE DEADLY BLACK WIDOW! SHE IS THE TOUGHEST GOLFER IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE!

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?&playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:8944817&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

What a bunch of crap.

Dayze
02-14-2013, 06:08 AM
Your mom's a spider.

ChiefRocka
02-14-2013, 06:47 AM
ROFL at anyone who thinks getting bit by a spider and finishing a round of golf is tough. BUT OH MMMM GEEE, SHE WAS BIT BY A BLACK WIDOW, DON'T YOU KNOW!?!?! YOU KNOW, THE DEADLY BLACK WIDOW! SHE IS THE TOUGHEST GOLFER IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE!

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?&playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:8944817&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

What a bunch of crap.

You wouldve cried for your mommy you little b!tch. :evil:

Pasta Little Brioni
02-14-2013, 06:52 AM

Oh, it's damn true

Abba-Dabba
02-14-2013, 07:06 AM

Pfft, mommy jokes. I took a spider bite to the dick about a month or so ago, poopbutt. Still kept rockin and knockin...

Archie F. Swin
02-14-2013, 07:25 AM
I've heard that while its bite it doesn't hurt, the venom of a Black Widow will cause you so much pain you'd much rather die.

Grim
02-14-2013, 07:50 AM
In recorded history only 14 people have died from a redback bite.
I think the common cold is responsible for more deaths.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-14-2013, 07:51 AM
10 percent of Planet members have cut their dicks off after a widow bite to the penis...it grew back all 13 inches of course.

Rasputin
02-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Pfft, mommy jokes. I took a spider bite to the dick about a month or so ago, poopbutt. Still kept rockin and knockin...

Did your uncle suck the venom out Black Bob?

Lex Luthor
02-14-2013, 08:25 AM
I can't help but laugh at all of the dumbass "tough guys" posting in this thread who say that what this chick did is no big deal.

If a black widow bit any of you idiots, you'd immediately pee your pants and start crying for your mommies. You sure as hell wouldn't dig out the venom with a golf tee and then finish the round.

QuikSsurfer
02-14-2013, 08:46 AM
I can't help but laugh at all of the dumbass "tough guys" posting in this thread who say that what this chick did is no big deal.

If a black widow bit any of you idiots, you'd immediately pee your pants and start crying for your mommies. You sure as hell wouldn't dig out the venom with a golf tee and then finish the round.

Fuck no... I've left the course due to a bee sting.

ChiefRocka
02-14-2013, 08:50 AM

Was this the spider that got you?

http://severinghaus.org/gallery/d/3521-1/DSCF5444_tiny_spider_penny_sm.jpg

Ceej
02-14-2013, 08:52 AM
MAN!!! IF IT WERE ME I WOULD HAVE SNORTED THAT SHIT OUT!

THEN I WOULD HAVE BENT THAT FUCKING SPIDER OVER AND SHOWN HIM WHO THE BOSS WAS!

Crush
02-14-2013, 08:55 AM
Of course this happened in Australia. Every plant, animal, and insect on that continent was specifically designed to kill humans. I don't know how the Australians do it.

Grim
02-14-2013, 08:56 AM

It wasn't a black widow.
1 out of every 5 people bitten by that type of spider require any medical attention at all.

It really is, officially, no big deal.

Radar Chief
02-14-2013, 09:15 AM
It wasn't a black widow.
1 out of every 5 people bitten by that type of spider require any medical attention at all.

It really is, officially, no big deal.

I’m sure it would still suck to get bit by one. Not deadly ≠ not painful.
But yea, it’s not like she got bit by a funnel web spider.

QuikSsurfer
02-14-2013, 09:17 AM
This is just par for the course in Australia

Dayze
02-14-2013, 09:36 AM
I'd be much more impressed if she was bitten by a Dingo.

lcarus
02-14-2013, 10:58 AM

With that massive swelling, probably the first time your woman was halfway satisfied.

:evil:

WhiteWhale
02-14-2013, 11:31 AM

:LOL:

I've been bit by multiple black widows on more than one occasion.

Unless you are incredibly old, young, have an allergic reaction, or have some kind of immune deficiency then you won't ****ing die from it. It's not THAT bad.

I got bit at work and finished an entire day slaving away in 100+ degrees. I assure you it was way harder than a round of ****ing golf. Even had a round of beers after and showed it to my friends. You're a pussy. ROFL

Nzoner
02-14-2013, 01:21 PM
I wish I could take credit for this but I stole it from another board...

"I heard it bit her between the first and second holes. Someone should tell her her stance is too wide."

Fish
02-14-2013, 01:30 PM
What a joke. I was bit in the scrotum by 36 black widows all at once that were all the size of a tennis ball. And it felt great. Harrumph!