PDA

View Full Version : Football Johnny Manziel taking only online classes at Texas A&M

Deberg_1990
02-20-2013, 07:27 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/18/johnny-manziel-texas-am-online-classes/1929057/

Johnny Manziel has become the big man off campus.

The Texas A&M quarterback and Heisman winner said Monday night at the Davey O'Brien Award reception that all of his classes for this semester are online, though Texas A&M spokesman Brad Marquardt refused to confirm or deny Manziel's schedule in a phone call with USA TODAY Sports.

SPRING FOOTBALL: Dates for every FBS team

Manziel also told reporters at the reception that he's only on campus once every month.

Though the arrangement might seem odd, Manziel is well within his rights to tackle his course load online. He even tried to take an English course on campus this semester but had to drop it when his peers' requests for photos and autographs became too much.

"I didn't think anything of it, and it kind of turned into a little more of a big deal than I thought," Manziel said, according to the Associated Press.

Manziel's various outings since winning the Heisman – sitting courtside at NBA games, attending the Super Bowl and being photographed at Mardi Gras – have been well documented, and being under a microscope has taken a toll on him.

"I know plenty of friends who went down to Mardi Gras to New Orleans and other guys who went to the Super Bowl too," Manziel said. "I was down there with other college football guys too, so I don't know, people like to give me a hard time more than others. There's college kids doing what I'm doing all around the country. People just think I'm going wild with it, when it's not like that."

DaKCMan AP
02-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Meh.

This is commonplace around the country. TAMU students need to get a grip, though. I saw Tebow, Horford, Noah, and other nationally-known Gator athletes all the time when I was in school. People would ask for pictures here and there but the guys weren't hounded.

Deberg_1990
02-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Meh.

I agree, but some are making a big deal about it.

BigRedChief
02-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Who gives a shit? If he doesn't make it in the NFL. his family is rich. He will be okay.:D

SAUTO
02-20-2013, 07:41 AM
he is a fucking douchebag

Bearcat
02-20-2013, 08:08 AM
I actually saw this on the bottom line of espn while watching basketball last night... they should merge with TMZ and get it over with... :facepalm:

Rasputin
02-20-2013, 08:18 AM
And why should I curr about this news?

AndChiefs
02-20-2013, 08:28 AM
And why should I curr about this news?

Because we're going to draft him in a couple years after we're back at the top of the draft once we don't take a qb this year.

NewChief
02-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Makes sense for most athletes to do this, especially during the season, because their attendance is often shit.

My main concern is the ability to just have someone else take the class for you, if you're doing a purely online course. I realize that this is already possible in having someone else do all your out-of-class work, but an online course makes it even easier.

DaKCMan AP
02-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Makes sense for most athletes to do this, especially during the season, because their attendance is often shit.

My main concern is the ability to just have someone else take the class for you, if you're doing a purely online course. I realize that this is already possible in having someone else do all your out-of-class work, but an online course makes it even easier.

It still has some on-campus components:

Manziel says he has to go on campus for course-related work about once a month.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-02-19/johnny-manziel-heisman-texas-am-online-classes-courses-campus

WV
02-20-2013, 08:39 AM
He's only there now to play football..."going to classes" online just makes it easier to push him through. Nothing more than a victory tour of sorts for him now. Nothing we all haven't witnessed in other college athletes.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Usually online classes require you to go to campus to take the tests. And I want him a Chief in the worst way.

Braincase
02-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Slow news day?

loochy
02-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Meh.

This is commonplace around the country. TAMU students need to get a grip, though. I saw Tebow, Horford, Noah, and other nationally-known Gator athletes all the time when I was in school. People would ask for pictures here and there but the guys weren't hounded.

East Coast Dane

Dayze
02-20-2013, 08:47 AM
we can get a ton of weapons the next two years and pick him up in the 1st in 2015.

mr. tegu
02-20-2013, 08:48 AM
It is funny how he tried to brush it off as he is doing it because of too much attention from his peers which is why he had to drop his campus class. Nobody really cares anyways. A person would be very naive to think someone like him is really attending class every session and doing all the work anyways.

loochy
02-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Now he can get automatic As and he doesn't even have to go to class now

Deberg_1990
02-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Usually online classes require you to go to campus to take the tests. And I want him a Chief in the worst way.

Seriously? Hes a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Fritz88
02-20-2013, 09:32 AM
A&M aren't used to having popular players I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device

siberian khatru
02-20-2013, 09:48 AM
"Wow, does he really live here? I thought he just flew in for games."

AndChiefs
02-20-2013, 09:51 AM

Right now. I see his draft stock moving up with the continued success of QB's like Kaepernick in the league. Plus, continued improvement and maturity in his game. He has good downfield vision, excellent instincts/escape-ability and handles pressure well. If he continues to improve his passing game and doesn't look to run quite so quickly he could easily develop into a top prospect in the next couple years.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-20-2013, 09:53 AM

ROFL Seriously !

loochy
02-20-2013, 10:30 AM

hes also a fishman.

give him a few more years and see

Deberg_1990
02-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Suck for Manziel

Mr. Laz
02-20-2013, 10:56 AM
shouldn't the title be "Johnny Manziel paying someone to take his online classes at Texas A&M"?

Dallas Chief
02-20-2013, 10:58 AM
East Coast Dane

Kid has always been a serious name dropper and famewhore. Look at his avatar...:shake:

Mr. Laz
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
East Coast Dane:LOL:

saphojunkie
02-20-2013, 11:50 AM
He's Tebow without the character.

Ace Gunner
02-20-2013, 11:51 AM
best publicity stunt I've seen in a long time

Deberg_1990
02-20-2013, 01:38 PM

"Why should he be bothered with those pesky classes anyways? I thought he was just there to play ball?"

Bob Dole
02-20-2013, 01:52 PM

It's called multi-factor authentication. The Blackboard LMS has a number of ways this can be accomplished. BioSig-ID is relatively easy to implement via Building Block component. It looks like The CB is probably going to make it mandatory within the next 2 years, anyway.

Bob Dole
02-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Now he can get automatic As and he doesn't even have to go to class now

Seriously. The Texas A&M University System isn't Kaplan College... You can check the CS campus' Reaffirmation of Accreditation at http://provost.tamu.edu/initiatives/2012-sacs-coc-accreditation if you would like. Online courses are held to the same rigorous standards as face-to-face courses.

silver5liter
02-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Hes going to be the next leinart, bank on it. He will party his way out of the league real quick.

NewChief
03-25-2013, 08:20 AM
This guy is destined for epic flameout. Sorry if Q:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/03/johnny_manziel_shoves_ga_after.html

Competitive fire or short temper?

You make the call.

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel threw three interceptions during a scrimmage on Saturday at Kyle Field.

According to Brent Zwerneman, who covers the Aggies for The Houston Chronicle and the San Antonio Express-News, the Heisman Trophy winner didn't appreciate the celebration that took place after his last pick.

Per the report: "Following his last of three interceptions, on a short pass into the end zone as he ran into the right sidelines, an exuberant graduate assistant jumped up and down within what appeared to be inches of an irate Manziel. So Manziel shoved him. Players and coaches, who were all gathered along the sidelines, quickly separated the Giddy GA and Manziel before anything escalated."

The scrimmage, according to the report, took place in front of 2,000 fans.

Coaches and players weren't available for post-scrimmage interviews Saturday.

Zwerneman, who tweeted the incident was nothing more than a heat-of-the-moment thing, did report that Mike Evans had more than 200 receiving yards and two touchdowns in the scrimmage.

suds79
03-25-2013, 08:22 AM
hes also a fishman.

give him a few more years and see

Is he going to go through a growth spurt in that time?

loochy
03-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Is he going to go through a growth spurt in that time?

ncaa sponsored chemically induced growth? :hmmm:

Predarat
03-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Football, baseball, basketball games
Drinkin' bear, kickin' ass and takin' down names
(Well-a) top down, get-a-round, shootin' the line
Summer is here and Johnny's feelin' fine

But Johnny can't read
Summer is over and he's gone to seed
Johnny can't read
He never learned nothin' that he'll ever need

Pasta Little Brioni
03-25-2013, 10:53 AM
In other news, he has taken hundreds of live Sex Ed courses.

Discuss Thrower
03-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Online classes sucked ass. They're tedious and I imagine they'd be graded just the same as seated ones.

And on that note, seated classes are the reason why you shell out for attending a non-degree mill.

Garcia Bronco
03-25-2013, 11:00 AM
LOL...online classes does not a degree make.

loochy
03-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Online classes sucked ass. They're tedious and I imagine they'd be graded just the same as seated ones.

And on that note, seated classes are the reason why you shell out for attending a non-degree mill.

I took 2 or 3 online classes for my MBA. I did NOT like them. It was hard to buckle down on the material and I didn't feel like I learned what I should have. I'd opt for the in-person class every time if given a choice.

NewChief
03-25-2013, 11:03 AM
I took 2 or 3 online classes for my MBA. I did NOT like them. It was hard to buckle down on the material and I didn't feel like I learned what I should have. I'd opt for the in-person class every time if given a choice.

It's such a racket. Our high school is looking at making it a requirement for a student to take at least one online course for graduation. Wonder who gains by such a policy?

Students? No.
Teachers? No.
Local Economy? No.
School Administrators? Yes.
Online Course Companies? Yes.

Ace Gunner
coping skills are a thing of the past

mr. tegu

As far as I have ever seen degree mills and online exclusive schools are FAR more expensive than any public or legitamite institution.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Online classes are a bane upon education.

There are nice things about an online interface that can be used in a traditional class--dropboxes, repositories for readings, syllabi, and other handouts--but an online-only format tries to replace the irreplaceable.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Predictions for the Hall of Douche, overrated college asshole edition:

Manziel
Bosworth
Marshall Henderson
Leinart
Vince Young
Ryan Leaf

And many, many others.

RealSNR
03-25-2013, 11:19 AM
I hope the assholes who in October/November said, "There are no good QBs available this year. We should wait a year and draft Johnny Football" get eaten by hippos and poop helicoptered into a vat of AIDS

ChiefsCountry
03-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Some online classes I took were worth doing it online instead of a classroom. I wish I could have took a lot of the General Education classes that I had no desire to take, online instead of wasting my time in a classroom setting. The majority of my classes for my major I would have wanted to take in the classroom.

Discuss Thrower
03-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Some online classes I took were worth doing it online instead of a classroom. I wish I could have took a lot of the General Education classes that I had no desire to take, online instead of wasting my time in a classroom setting. The majority of my classes for my major I would have wanted to take in the classroom.

Which is fair, but I've felt some professors take it easier on GenEds that most people have no inclination of really caring about.

Keyword is some. I had a 200 level literature class that was an option for a "cultural artifact" class and the professor assigned 6-7 novels for close reading an analysis.

Including the Waste Land, which is fucking annoying as hell.

Most annoying was the fact the professor routinely handed out B+/A- for grade, meaning you had to spend face time with said professor in discussing how he/she preferred you to edit the paper.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Manziel is never going to be a model citizen. He has a sense of entitlement, is probably a bit of an asshole, but that was happening before the Heisman as well. He's still a leader on the field though. Big time competitor and the players respect him. As far as all-time douches, I think the best comparison would be Brett Favre. Not Vince Young

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Im about to take my test for an online class. It's a joke. My first one ever.

tony77
03-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Hes just another tebow. Enough said.

ChiefsCountry
03-25-2013, 12:00 PM

Matt Leinart.

Tebow at least works his ass off. He just doesn't have the talent to be an NFL quarterback.

AndChiefs
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM

Yeah...he's not Tebow.

Valiant
03-25-2013, 12:16 PM

Yea I am taking his car out tonight and smoking dope with his little brother. If anything goes wrong I have a plan.

WilliamTheIrish
03-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Meh.

I think the concensus among folks who have been out of school for a while is that online classes allow unlimited attempts at....cheating.

Which = academic scandal. And I mean aTm isn't Harvard. You know... where there are no scandals.

Deberg_1990
03-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Sad Day.....hes leaving twitter

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9101521/johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-turns-twitter-account

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Johnny Football is leaving Twitter.

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy, said Tuesday that he has self-imposed a Twitter ban in an attempt to keep his personal life more private.

Manziel has been stung in recent weeks by negative publicity from both on- and off-the-field incidents.

The latest controversy came Saturday, when media reports indicated Manziel shoved a Texas A&M graduate assistant after he threw one of his three interceptions during a spring scrimmage. Aggies coach Kevin Sumlin said he didn't see the confrontation, and Manziel and his teammates said the incident was overblown.

Since winning the Heisman and leading the Aggies to an 11-2 record in his first season as a starter in 2012, nearly every aspect of Manziel's life has become Internet fodder.

Photos of Manziel attending Mardi Gras, the Super Bowl [where he was spotted with the stars of "Duck Dynasty," Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel], NBA games and most recently spring break in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, made their way onto Twitter and other social media.

"I've kind of just shut it all off," Manziel said. "With how the media has been with me for a while, I just shut everything off. As of [Monday], I said I was done with [Twitter] for however long. It's fun to have, but it can get to be distracting at points."

Now, Manziel's more than 330,000 Twitter followers will have to find other ways to keep up with what's going on in his life.

"I'm surprised to [see] how the attention has continued through the offseason," Manziel said. "I guess I thought it would die off and slow down a little bit, but it really hasn't."

Manziel has tweeted nearly 3,000 times, but one of the more recent photos of him on the Internet caused a stir among Texas A&M fans. A photo of Manziel from spring break showed him wearing a Texas Longhorns tattoo. Manziel, who grew up a Texas fan, said the tattoo was only temporary and was a practical joke.

"It was just a fun deal," Manziel said. "Somebody dared me to do it, and we thought it would be funny."

Meanwhile, Texas A&M is trying to cash in on the Aggies' unexpected success in their first season in the SEC. The school's athletics department is planning a $480 million expansion of Kyle Field, which would be the most expensive stadium expansion in college football history.

The project, which would begin after the 2013 season, would increase the stadium's capacity to around 102,000, according to sources with knowledge of the project. Tennessee's Neyland Stadium is the largest stadium in the SEC with a capacity of 102,455.

The school's board of regents will vote May 1-2 on whether to approve the project.

The project would include enclosing the south end of the stadium, replacing the lower deck of the east side, and completely demolishing and rebuilding the west side, including the upper levels and press box. A club area and new scoreboard also would be part of the south end zone project, which would be connected to the Aggies' new dining hall, which is scheduled for completion in September.

Chiefshrink
03-27-2013, 07:30 AM
I actually saw this on the bottom line of espn while watching basketball last night... they should merge with TMZ and get it over with... :facepalm:

BINGO !!

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-27-2013, 08:36 AM
I hope the assholes who in October/November said, "There are no good QBs available this year. We should wait a year and draft Johnny Football" get eaten by hippos and poop helicoptered into a vat of AIDS

I'd be happy to be eaten by a hippo if it means we draft Manziel. I just don't understand why some people think he sucks. There's not one aspect of his game that is lacking,especially for a freshman.

Simply Red
03-27-2013, 08:46 AM
he is a ****ing douchebag

I tend to agree, I think he's all a flash in the skillet, in a Tony Romo sort of way. This kid will soon be forgotten and people will come to terms w/ that sooner vs. later.