PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Basement flooring

Stewie
02-23-2013, 12:31 PM
I know there are professionals on this site that deal with this sort of thing.

My sump pump failed for a 2nd time last year in my finished basement and the carpeting that was there is gone. I no longer want anything that can mold or mildew and I was thinking about a decent tile that might work. My question: Is this a practical idea with a slab that has imperfections AND floor drains? Can a really good pro work around the drains and make it look good? I'm not talking about the vinyl tile BS, but real tiles that can be cut and shaped.

Brock
02-23-2013, 12:34 PM
It is done all the time.

SAUTO
02-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Yep.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stewie
02-23-2013, 12:38 PM
It is done all the time.

Yeah, but I've seen some of the results. I want it done right.

Brock
02-23-2013, 12:38 PM
It should be pointed out that mold can live on grout though. Not to discourage you from attacking the problem this way, but there are sumps that run on your home's water pressure.

SAUTO
02-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Hell our new bathroom has two floor drains in it. Nice looking brushed stainless square drains with the tile cut to them...

Long story as to why lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock

A pro is going to give you what you want. Just $.

SAUTO

Then pay someone to do it right. That's the key
Posted via Mobile Device

Stewie
It should be pointed out that mold can live on grout though. Not to discourage you from attacking the problem this way, but there are sumps that run on your home's water pressure.

I didn't know that. What brand of sumps do this? It still won't make me put carpet there.

SAUTO
02-23-2013, 12:43 PM
I didn't know that. What brand of sumps do this? It still won't make me put carpet there.

Yeah I definitely would stay away from carpet
Posted via Mobile Device

Stewie
02-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Then pay someone to do it right. That's the key
Posted via Mobile Device

I will. I just want to know of any issues with putting tile on a basement floor. There will be moisture and I want to know how a particular installation deals with it.

Brock
02-23-2013, 12:48 PM
I will. I just want to know of any issues with putting tile on a basement floor. There will be moisture and I want to know how a particular installation deals with it.

They put down a plastic sheet before they pour the base on it.

BlackHelicopters
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Basements will always flood. Find a pro who has done many, and get references. Go look at the the jobs.

Stewie
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM

It's as simple as that?

Brock
02-23-2013, 12:50 PM
I have something called the water commander backup sump which runs on water pressure. Cant say how well it works because my sump has never failed. Actually my sump hasn't kicked on in two years or more.

Brock
02-23-2013, 12:51 PM
It's as simple as that?

Yup. There are a ton of youtube vids on it.

SAUTO
02-23-2013, 12:58 PM

They also have some new backer that is water proof on both sides. Is supposed to work great.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
And they will have to level out the imperfections too
Posted via Mobile Device

displacedinMN
02-23-2013, 02:50 PM
I also suggest a battery backup with pump. I have one.

It will pump for 7 days on cycle and three days continuous.

It has kicked in a few times. never had an issue.

a pump installer should be able to do it,