PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher:MU’s Richardson attracts Chiefs’ interest at combine

Tribal Warfare
02-24-2013, 12:50 AM
MU’s Richardson attracts Chiefs’ interest at combine (http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/23/4082860/mus-richardson-attracts-chiefs.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
This won’t come as a surprise to Missouri fans aware of the outspoken ways of defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson. But Richardson believes he’s the best player available in this year’s NFL Draft.

“I see myself as the top pick, not a top-10 pick,” Richardson said Saturday at the NFL Combine. “I didn’t come into this draft to be second to anyone. If they see what they like …they’re going to get a (heck) of a ballplayer.”

The Chiefs have the first pick in the draft and prefer defensive ends in their 3-4 system to be taller than Richardson, who is 6 feet 2. But Richardson said he had a Saturday night meeting scheduled with the Chiefs.

Even if the Chiefs don’t draft Richardson, he won’t have to wait long in the first round to hear his name called. With a strong showing at the Combine and in subsequent workouts, Richardson could be the first defensive tackle drafted, ahead of Utah’s Star Lotulelei and Florida’s Sharrif Floyd.

“They’re real good defensive tackles, but I like the way I stand up to them,” Richardson said in his typically candid way. “I like my draft stock versus their draft stock.”

But Richardson’s ability is real.

“The Richardson kid is exciting,” NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. “At 300 pounds, to me he has the movement skills of a 250-pound linebacker. Missouri actually stood him up, and how often do you see a defensive tackle standing up and playing a linebacker position at 300 pounds? Obviously, Missouri and Dave Steckel were highly impressed with this kid’s athletic ability. He’s really gifted. He’s probably more gifted than the Utah kid.”

The belief he could be one of the top picks led Richardson to declare for the draft rather than return to Missouri for his final season.

“Leaving my guys was the hardest thing I had to do,” he said. “It was a family decision. Me and my father and my mother sat down and it was something that we came to together. It was time for us to leave.”

Richardson was encouraged by his play in Missouri’s first season in the Southeastern Conference.

“It motivated me a lot,” he said. “Jumping to the SEC brought a whole lot of offensive competition that I was ready for and I wanted to prove I was ready for it. I loved it.”

He got in trouble with coach Gary Pinkel when, before Missouri’s first conference game against Georgia, he criticized the Bulldogs’ offense as “old-man football” because of a taste for running the ball.

“I told coach (Mark) Richt how he had a great team and I didn’t mean any disrespect after that game and that I respected his team,” Richardson said. “When I said old-man football, I meant old-school football. It was just a joke … and it’s a joke still to this day.”

Asked what he learned from the incident, Richardson said, “Just watch what I say. They’ll take a little thing, anything, and make something out of it.”

But he said he won’t stop being himself, with his new NFL teammates at least.

“I’m an assertive leader,” he said. “In college … I was the guy the team looked to. When it got nitty and gritty, I was the guy they needed and the guy they depended on and the guy that kept them going.”

KCrockaholic
02-24-2013, 12:53 AM
I remember coming out of high school he ran somewhere around 4.6 or 4.7 yard 40. He's a freak athlete. But he's gonna have to enjoy playing on a team other than KC.

Ebolapox
02-24-2013, 01:03 AM
I love big sheldon... but not at 1-1. if he falls to the second, sure. otherwise, have a great career.

RealSNR
02-24-2013, 01:58 AM
So we're interested because we have an interview scheduled with him at the combine? :spock:

Fuck you, Teicher

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-24-2013, 02:25 AM
He's an absolute animal and he should be a top 10 pick. He needs to work on his conditioning some, but he was a better college player than Aldon Smith. He's the best defensive player I've ever seen at Missouri.

He's a prototypical 3 technique.

Hammock Parties
02-24-2013, 02:27 AM
He's an absolute animal and he should be a top 10 pick. He needs to work on his conditioning some, but he was a better college player than Aldon Smith. He's the best defensive player I've ever seen at Missouri.

So he might be better than Tyson Jackson?

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-24-2013, 02:30 AM

His upside is Warren Sapp, but he's a better athlete than Sapp.

RunKC
02-24-2013, 02:58 AM
Here's his interview.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/Sheldon-Richardson-Combine-Press-Conference/c59785cc-d824-4fb3-bc25-513734dd4944

bevischief
02-24-2013, 03:08 AM

Who isn't?

stevenidol
02-24-2013, 03:42 AM
So we're interested because we have an interview scheduled with him at the combine? :spock:

**** you, Teicher

LOUD NOISES!

Dave Lane
02-24-2013, 06:51 AM
So my take away is that Star Lotulelei isn't even a consensus top DT pick. This year there's really no single DT that stands out, none worth the 1.1 pick so we just may have to go with the best available QB.

Dave Mayock :)

Ace Gunner
02-24-2013, 07:45 AM

yep. should become a good one for some 43 defense

BlackHelicopters
02-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Teicher=journalist.

cabletech94
02-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Teicher=journalist.

LMAO

those may be fighting words, brau!!!!

Rasputin
02-24-2013, 09:29 AM
If I was at teh combine I'd be the best prospect in the draft. I wasn't even invited go figure they are just going miss out on my tallents. fuck em None of the teams are worthy of me playing for them anyways I'm too good.

DeezNutz
02-24-2013, 09:36 AM

He's also a quitting bitch who will disappear in the biggest moments and the biggest games.

He'll flash occasionally in the NFL, while routinely frustrating the shit out of the fan base of whichever team is stupid enough to draft him in the first round.

Hammock Parties
02-24-2013, 09:37 AM
He's also a quitting bitch who will disappear in the biggest moments and the biggest games.

He'll flash occasionally in the NFL, while routinely frustrating the shit out of the fan base of whichever team is stupid enough to draft him in the first round.

HORSEMAN WAR

DeezNutz
02-24-2013, 09:43 AM
HORSEMAN WAR

As a Mizzou fan, Hamas knows exactly what I'm talking about. I love Richardson's talent, but I hate his heart.

Spott
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
He has a lot of talent, but I wouldn't want this dumbass playing for the Chiefs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-24-2013, 11:05 AM
As a Mizzou fan, Hamas knows exactly what I'm talking about. I love Richardson's talent, but I hate his heart.

He's a headcase, but I don't think he's a quitter.

To the broader audience;

We lost out on a chance at a bowl game this year because Richardson missed class and the coaching staff gave him PT as a punishment. He refused to do it, so they suspended him for the Syracuse game. We got absolutely no pass rush against them, making Nassib actually look like a pro in the process.

He's also a drama queen, evidenced by his recruiting saga.

He's also an incredibly rare athlete. For the first half of the South Carolina game, he was the most dominant defensive player on the field. Yes, that includes Clowney. Massive boom/bust potential.

tony77
02-24-2013, 11:06 AM
maybe

Titty Meat
02-24-2013, 11:41 AM
The Chiefs have liked literally every player this off season if you havent noticed

SAUTO
02-24-2013, 11:45 AM
The Chiefs have liked literally every player this off season if you havent noticed

333 players in the running for #1
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut
02-24-2013, 12:36 PM

That's my take on him.

Most talented defender I've ever seen at Mizzou. And oddly enough, when he's engaged his motor is unbelievable. When he felt like playing, he was the most dangerous guy I've seen at Mizzou, though a healthy Aldon certainly comes close and I never had to worry about Aldon taking a half off.

But he slips into neutral for entire quarters and frankly, I'll never get the stink of him quitting on the team out. He cost us a bowl game and potentially fucked up our recruiting class.

Fuck Sheldon Richardson.

DJ's left nut
02-24-2013, 12:41 PM
He's a headcase, but I don't think he's a quitter.

We lost out on a chance at a bowl game this year because Richardson missed class and the coaching staff gave him PT as a punishment. He refused to do it, so they suspended him for the Syracuse game. We got absolutely no pass rush against them, making Nassib actually look like a pro in the process.

How's that not a quitter again?

That guy bailed on his teammates, on long-time Tigers like TJ Moe that were there for 5 years and were going into Senior Day after a huge win at Tennessee with a chance to be bowl eligible.

And the motherfucker wouldn't do some bear crawls to make sure he could play in the game.

It's the most cowardly thing I've ever seen from a 'teammate' at Missouri. It was pathetic and I hope he blows out his knee.

He's an idiot, he's a shitty teammate and yes, he's a quitter.

patteeu
02-24-2013, 01:39 PM
He's the best defensive player I've ever seen at Missouri.

Most talented defender I've ever seen at Mizzou.

It's hard for me to compare him to Justin Smith who played like a one man wrecking crew on a far worse defense. They're the two best I've seen, either way.

Interesting trivia: Richardson signed autographs as "$Rich"

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-24-2013, 01:49 PM
It's hard for me to compare him to Justin Smith who played like a one man wrecking crew on a far worse defense. They're the two best I've seen, either way.

Richardson dominated far better competition.

Spott
02-24-2013, 01:50 PM

I foresee him making a lot of money as a pro, living large for about 8-10 years while he's playing, then ending up flat broke 5 years after he stops playing football.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-24-2013, 01:53 PM
How's that not a quitter again?

That guy bailed on his teammates, on long-time Tigers like TJ Moe that were there for 5 years and were going into Senior Day after a huge win at Tennessee with a chance to be bowl eligible.

And the motherfucker wouldn't do some bear crawls to make sure he could play in the game.

It's the most cowardly thing I've ever seen from a 'teammate' at Missouri. It was pathetic and I hope he blows out his knee.

He's an idiot, he's a shitty teammate and yes, he's a quitter.

This is becoming a semantic argument. I view players as quitters if they essentially lay down on the field and let themselves get dominated because their will is broken. I see Sheldon's actions as the actions of a selfish asshole, not a coward, but someone who put himself above the team.

patteeu
02-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Richardson dominated far better competition.

Good point.