PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Trade Down Horseshit Rumors From 2009

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Hopefully this will provide some perspective to the prevarications winding their way through the "media". These are all from 2009, late in the process, before the Twittersplosion of uninformed fucktards, and it's still a confederacy of numbskulls.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204737&highlight=Lions+Trade

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204606&highlight=Lions+Trade

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204286&highlight=Lions+Trade

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=203929&highlight=Lions+Trade

NJChiefsFan
02-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Mayock suggesting Curry over Staford has to make you feel better in this current situation.

Bewbies
02-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Curry has been a stud too! LMAO

KC_Lee
02-26-2013, 07:31 PM
So Maycock was wrong?!? But he's and EXPERT!!!!!!

DaKCMan AP
02-26-2013, 07:33 PM
2011: http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2011/04/could-the-panthers-trade-top-pick.html

2010: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/20/talk-increases-that-rams-would-trade-down-on-the-cheap/

O.city
02-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Yeah, we've never heard this before this year. This QB class is so terrible. WTF.

hometeam
02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
I have to admit I wanted Curry~

O.city
02-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Basically, this goes to show that Luck, Manning and Elway were in fact the only guys who were surefire first overall picks, in the medias eyes that is.

Deberg_1990
02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Someone should email or tweet Mayock his comments about Curry and Stafford.
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
02-26-2013, 07:50 PM
These guys are scared to death about QB's going first overall. Every year, same shit.

siberian khatru
02-26-2013, 07:51 PM
When in doubt, draft a left tackle!

Coogs
02-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Wait!

I was told today this never happened in the Trade Down Thread.

Well done sirs!

:thumb:

Frosty
02-26-2013, 07:54 PM

Man, the Curry vs Sanchez wars around here were fierce. LMAO

TribalElder
02-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Great find. Tired of the media being dumb dumbs

the Talking Can
02-26-2013, 07:56 PM
curry over stafford is actually more pathetic and embarrassing then advocating taking a guard #1....

mayock knows jack fucking shit about building a team...all he or anyone knows is that "QBs are risky"

Molitoth
02-26-2013, 08:02 PM
2011: http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2011/04/could-the-panthers-trade-top-pick.html

2010: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/20/talk-increases-that-rams-would-trade-down-on-the-cheap/

Lol here is a panthers true fan comment from that...

I 100% agree ,there are to many defensive gems out there to WASTE a pick on a 1yr wonder QB for 40mil! when we have a bench full of them already...Kiper is right and gets PAID for it UNlike Kiper wannabe's on here that think Newton's gonna start & win NOW...NOT ANY "draft expert" or scout has said Cam is NFL ready NOT 1...and JR is NOT sold on him either ,and i can tell you what that means = NO CAM!

And Cam comes in and rapes his rookie year on a shitty team.

This looks so familiar.

WildTurkey
02-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Wow this all sounds familiar.. Who'd have thunk it.

crazycoffey
02-26-2013, 08:13 PM
So Maycock was wrong?!? But he's and EXPERT!!!!!!

Good thing none of us here are experts, ergo, we can't ever be wrong!

Prison Bitch
02-26-2013, 08:14 PM

Me too

HotCarl
02-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Well, we'd have been a hell of a lot better off if we had traded down.

Dave Lane
02-26-2013, 08:26 PM
These guys are scared to death about QB's going first overall. Every year, same shit.

Hey there's always next year.

Dave Lane
02-26-2013, 08:27 PM

Gross. I wanted anyone but.

Dave Lane
02-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Mayock: Lions should avoid drafting Matt Stafford

by Tom Kowalski Monday March 09, 2009, 7:54 PM

Mike Mayock, the draft analyst for NFL Network, was a guest on WJR tonight, joining hosts Ken Brown and Mike O'Hara. Here are some highlights from that interview (and the Detroit Lions fans who are hoping the team drafts Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford might be a little disappointed with Mayock's opinions):

--- Mayock said he believes that 2009 will be an average draft class without much star power in the top 10. He believes the draft is deep at outside linebacker and tight end but weak at guard and inside linebacker.
--- Mayock pointed out that of the last 11 underclassmen quarterbacks to be drafted in the first round, only two have been successful - Ben Roethlisberger and Aaron Rogers. Mayock pointed out a laundry list of failures - Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Alex Smith and, so far, JaMarcus Russell.
Mayock said that if the Lions make a mistake at quarterback with that pick, "they won't recover for five years.''
Mayock spoke very highly of Stafford, saying he has great arm strength and is a good athlete, but also said "There are some things about him that bother me. If I was the Lions, I'd take (Aaron) Curry or one of those left tackles (Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe).
"If you have any doubts about the kid, in my opinion, you have to pass. I told everybody last year that Matt Ryan was the guy. I have questions about the guy this year.''
--- Mayock said he sees some similarities between Stafford and Denver quarterback Jay Cutler, especially arm strength, but he sees one big difference. Mayock said Cutler played for a "horrible'' Vanderbilt team but always had his team in a position to win. Stafford, meanwhile, played with two elite receivers and an NFL-caliber running back and "sometimes he looked like and sometimes he looked average ... I say 'Why?'''
--- Brown and O'Hara brought up the possibility that if the Lions drafted Curry, they might move him to middle linebacker but Mayock immediately shot that down. Mayock said Curry is the prototype SAM linebacker and shouldn't be moved.

DaneMcCloud
02-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Gross. I wanted anyone but.

That's because you didn't see the fire in his eyes

Sorter
02-26-2013, 08:34 PM
That's because you didn't see the fire in his eyes

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/39rEYKcAtbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise
02-26-2013, 08:34 PM
A classically built, strong-armed quarterback, Stafford has not yet caught on as the consensus No. 1 pick.ESPN.com draft analyst Todd McShay, for example, said recently the Lions face a "nightmare" decision because Stafford is "not mentally ready" to take on the pressures of being the No. 1 overall pick. McShay said that scouts from at least 10 teams agreed with that assessment and added: "I just don't feel great about building my organization around him."NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock told a Detroit radio station that "there are some things about him that bother me," and even Stafford's biggest supporter advocates with a negative argument. Yes, Mel Kiper Jr. said the Lions should select Stafford primarily because "there is nobody else to take."

DaneMcCloud
02-26-2013, 08:44 PM
A classically built, strong-armed quarterback, Stafford has not yet caught on as the consensus No. 1 pick.ESPN.com draft analyst Todd McShay, for example, said recently the Lions face a "nightmare" decision because Stafford is "not mentally ready" to take on the pressures of being the No. 1 overall pick. McShay said that scouts from at least 10 teams agreed with that assessment and added: "I just don't feel great about building my organization around him."NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock told a Detroit radio station that "there are some things about him that bother me," and even Stafford's biggest supporter advocates with a negative argument. Yes, Mel Kiper Jr. said the Lions should select Stafford primarily because "there is nobody else to take."

I don't think this is too far from the truth.

Stafford, like Freeman, has shown great potential but both have been very careless at times. Stafford is still ahead of Freeman but both teams have been reluctant to to extend either QB.

Deberg_1990
02-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Mayock sounds like a true fans wet dream. Did this turd ever work for Carl or Scott?

okcchief
02-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Good post Hamas.

I had no illusions that anyone, but Stafford would be the top pick that year. I don't know what these dipshits were smoking.

O.city
02-26-2013, 08:47 PM
They're always all against the QB's. A Qb busts its usually pretty big and well known. LT or DT busts and no one really hears/knows about it cause it isn't that obvious.

Molitoth
02-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Mayock pointed out a laundry list of failures - Heath Shuler, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Alex Smith and, so far, JaMarcus Russell

Let's trade for THAT guy!

saphojunkie
02-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Well, we'd have been a hell of a lot better off if we had traded down.

Or up, you dumb shit.

Hammock Parties
02-26-2013, 09:13 PM
I don't think this is too far from the truth.

Stafford, like Freeman, has shown great potential but both have been very careless at times. Stafford is still ahead of Freeman but both teams have been reluctant to to extend either QB.

And they both play on teams with TERRIBLE, AWFUL defenses and ho-hum head coaches.

Funny how that works.

HotCarl
02-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Nobody can say that trading down is always dumb, losers trade down, etc... when we clearly should have moved down in 2009 instead of reaching at a position of need

DaneMcCloud
02-26-2013, 09:54 PM
And they both play on teams with TERRIBLE, AWFUL defenses and ho-hum head coaches.

Funny how that works.

What's your point? If you're saying what I think you're saying, you couldn't be more wrong.

Great players transcend. Stafford hasn't, even with Megatron and other suitable weapons. He's made the same boneheaded mistakes that he made at Georgia, when his team was similarly loaded.

Freeman had one good season out of four. He's been sporadic: A few good games followed by complete shit games. He's been unable to put together back-to-back seasons of consistency and he's been unable to ascend in the NFL.

Great players are great, regardless of coaching. Jamaal Charles is NOT a great running back on a 2-14 team because of Maurice fucking Carthon.

Sorter
02-26-2013, 10:05 PM
What's your point? If you're saying what I think you're saying, you couldn't be more wrong.

Great players transcend. Stafford hasn't, even with Megatron and other suitable weapons. He's made the same boneheaded mistakes that he made at Georgia, when his team was similarly loaded.

Freeman had one good season out of four. He's been sporadic: A few good games followed by complete shit games. He's been unable to put together back-to-back seasons of consistency and he's been unable to ascend in the NFL.

Great players are great, regardless of coaching. Jamaal Charles is NOT a great running back on a 2-14 team because of Maurice ****ing Carthon.

IIRC, the Lions have been trying to work on an extension with Stafford since last year. Now, that might be due to his cap#, but they view him as a franchise QB.

DaneMcCloud
02-26-2013, 10:07 PM
IIRC, the Lions have been trying to work on an extension with Stafford since last year. Now, that might be due to his cap#, but they view him as a franchise QB.

IMO, if they viewed him as a Franchise QB, the deal would have been done before the end of last season.

His deal expires at the end of the 2013 season. If they wanted to avoid the Franchise Tag, they should have done so before now.

I think that speaks volumes at this point. Hell, even fucking Sanchez was extended.

NJChiefsFan
02-26-2013, 10:10 PM
IMO, if they viewed him as a Franchise QB, the deal would have been done before the end of last season.

His deal expires at the end of the 2013 season. If they wanted to avoid the Franchise Tag, they should have done so before now.

I think that speaks volumes at this point. Hell, even ****ing Sanchez was extended.

Haha, yeah he was. And what a mess that was. Fun to watch. Lets go after Manning and then extend Mark after that to make him happy. The Jets always help me cope with the Chiefs moves a little bit. Even with that though, they have seen much more success in the playoffs than we have.

Hoover
02-26-2013, 10:15 PM
I don't think Stafford is a stud QB, but we would be a hell of a lot better with him instead of the $hit show we currently have. If we drafted Geno and he turned out to be the second coming of Matt Stafford I'd be a little disappointed, but I also think we would be a playoff team. Lets also not forget the division stafford plays in is a lot tougher than ours.

Sorter
02-26-2013, 10:16 PM

I think that speaks volumes at this point. Hell, even ****ing Sanchez was extended.

I think that they're struggling on terms/seeing how the market plays out while additionally trying to figure out what they're going to do with the cap hell they are facing.

Pure speculation though.

I'd expect them to re-sign/restructure before the end of 2013.

Coogs
02-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Stafford has been pretty injury prone too. Throws for a lot of yards, but they just don't win a whole lot. (Gunther?) Not sure I would sink the farm into him just yet either.

O.city
02-26-2013, 10:18 PM
I always wondered with the Lions if they would ever have cap problems after having all those high first rounders they had to pay.

DaneMcCloud
02-26-2013, 10:19 PM
I think that they're struggling on terms/seeing how the market plays out while additionally trying to figure out what they're going to do with the cap hell they are facing.

Pure speculation though.

I'd expect them to re-sign/restructure before the end of 2013.

Personally, I think they're playing it perfectly: If Stafford breaks out and leads the Lions deep into the playoffs while putting up 2:1 TD's to INT's, they move forward with him. If they go 4-12 again, they can cut him loose and grab someone in 2014.

I wish the Chiefs had such a luxury.

DaneMcCloud
02-26-2013, 10:20 PM
I always wondered with the Lions if they would ever have cap problems after having all those high first rounders they had to pay.

The "Cap" is a myth. Pure and utter fabrication.

If the owner is cash "rich", the cap doesn't matter. If the owner is cash "poor", or just a tight ass, the cap is in play.

notorious
02-26-2013, 10:21 PM
MayockMayock spoke very highly of Stafford, saying he has great arm strength and is a good athlete, but also said "There are some things about him that bother me. If I was the Lions, I'd take (Aaron) Curry or one of those left tackles (Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe)..

ROFL

O.city
02-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Personally, I think they're playing it perfectly: If Stafford breaks out and leads the Lions deep into the playoffs while putting up 2:1 TD's to INT's, they move forward with him. If they go 4-12 again, they can cut him loose and grab someone in 2014.

Don't we all.

It's a tough situation, with his physical abilities etc. it's hard to move one, cause theres always the "man if he gets it, watch out" thought. But at what point do you jsut say, yeah, he's not going to get it, lets move one.

Tough situation for them.

Dave Lane
02-26-2013, 10:26 PM

We do. Grab Geno. He busts we can draft another QB in the 1st.

KC_Lee
02-26-2013, 10:33 PM
We do. Grab Geno. He busts we can draft another QB in the 1st.

And not wait another 30 years?!?

The hell you say.

okcchief
02-26-2013, 10:33 PM
I actually think Geno and Stafford are pretty similar prospects. Love both of them physically, but there were some questions with both as far as winning big games, leadership etc. If Stafford was a 1 pick its kind of puzzling why Geno isn't considered by many to be worthy. I hate when race is thrown around, but you have to wonder.

Sorter
02-26-2013, 10:41 PM

I do concur.

They're fucked for a while IMO as they've spent so much and have drafted so poorly.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Mayock:
Mayock said that if the Lions make a mistake at quarterback with that pick, "they won't recover for five years.''
Mayock spoke very highly of Stafford, saying he has great arm strength and is a good athlete, but also said "There are some things about him that bother me. If I was the Lions, I'd take (Aaron) Curry or one of those left tackles (Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe).

This is so, so awesome.

Curry: For his position, probably one of the biggest busts in NFL history. A bigger bust than Aundray Bruce

Smith: Again, one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Actually looks like a worse draft pick than Tony Mandarich, who actually became a serviceable guard.

The gem of his three choices, Eugene Monroe, is a decent LT. That's it.

Mike Mayock, ladies and gents.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-26-2013, 11:22 PM
I do concur.

They're fucked for a while IMO as they've spent so much and have drafted so poorly.

Their drafting has actually improved markedly under Mayhew. From worst in the league to passable. I think their biggest issue is one of coaching. Schwartz does not have control of that team, and we all know what a snake oil salesman Gunther is.

Sorter
02-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Their drafting has actually improved markedly under Mayhew. From worst in the league to passable. I think their biggest issue is one of coaching. Schwartz does not have control of that team, and we all know what a snake oil salesman Gunther is.

I agree and should have clarified, I meant poor drafting prior to Mayhew.

Rams Fan
02-26-2013, 11:57 PM
This is so, so awesome.

Curry: For his position, probably one of the biggest busts in NFL history. A bigger bust than Aundray Bruce

Smith: Again, one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Actually looks like a worse draft pick than Tony Mandarich, who actually became a serviceable guard.

The gem of his three choices, Eugene Monroe, is a decent LT. That's it.

Mike Mayock, ladies and gents.

Smith busted because of concussions. I honestly think things could have been different if he didn't suffer a concussion in his rookie year or in 2011. And I have no fucking idea who the Rams could have taken at the time, as I thought Smith was viewed as the #1 LT over Monroe and Oher, no?

KevB
02-27-2013, 12:11 AM
And for the questions about Stafford, dude put up a 5,000 yard/41 TD/16 INT season last year. That's 500 more yards and 14 more TDs than Trent Green ever had here. We'd kill for that kind of production. If Geno had Stafford's evolution, I'd be fine with it. Primarily because I think we'd win more given our coaching staff and the defense currently in place.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Smith busted because of concussions. I honestly think things could have been different if he didn't suffer a concussion in his rookie year or in 2011. And I have no fucking idea who the Rams could have taken at the time, as I thought Smith was viewed as the #1 LT over Monroe and Oher, no?

Smith was crap from the get go. I don't know how anyone could have looked at his tape and measureables and felt he was better than Clady or Albert or Jake Long or any number of successful tackles (let alone, Orlando Pace). The guy was garbage.

I, and many other people at the time, thought that Spagnoulo was going to be a good head coach and leader of men.

Turns out, he's crap.

KevB
02-27-2013, 12:13 AM
Smith busted because of concussions. I honestly think things could have been different if he didn't suffer a concussion in his rookie year or in 2011. And I have no ****ing idea who the Rams could have taken at the time, as I thought Smith was viewed as the #1 LT over Monroe and Oher, no?

The point is that every year it's implied that taking an offensive lineman is "safer" than taking a QB at the top of the draft. It's not. I don't think the point here is making a judgment on that particular pick by the Rams.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2013, 12:14 AM
And for the questions about Stafford, dude put up a 5,000 yard/41 TD/16 INT season last year. That's 500 more yards and 14 more TDs than Trent Green ever had here. We'd kill for that kind of production. If Geno had Stafford's evolution, I'd be fine with it. Primarily because I think we'd win more given our coaching staff and the defense currently in place.

Yeah, but he does a lot of stupid shit and he's only led ONE winning team in four years. Personally, I feel the jury is still out.

tk13
02-27-2013, 12:34 AM
The weird thing is Mayock is for some reason regarded as the best guy around these parts, or at least has been in the past. I don't know now since he's apparently anti-Geno.

I'm a big Stafford fan but I have to wonder if he needs a different coaching staff. The Lions have been so undisciplined under Schwartz. Aside from all the Suh stuff, dirty plays and things like that... just in general they are a sloppy team. Of course if they don't succeed this year... Schwartz, Gunther and all of them will probably be looking for new jobs.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-27-2013, 12:35 AM
lather,rinse,...repeat.
Posted via Mobile Device

WildTurkey
02-27-2013, 12:36 AM
The weird thing is Mayock is for some reason regarded as the best guy around these parts, or at least has been in the past. I don't know now since he's apparently anti-Geno.

I'm a big Stafford fan but I have to wonder if he needs a different coaching staff. The Lions have been so undisciplined under Schwartz. Aside from all the Suh stuff, dirty plays and things like that... just in general they are a sloppy team. Of course if they don't succeed this year... Schwartz, Gunther and all of them will probably be looking for new jobs.

This. Being in Detroit has hindered his development. That's a terrible coaching staff out there.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-27-2013, 12:37 AM
If Stafford has no deal......
Posted via Mobile Device

NJChiefsFan
02-27-2013, 12:37 AM

My support of Mayock was really a "he isn't Kiper or McShay" deal. I guess I had that with McShay for a minute as well. Mayock, IMO, has gotten more cocky as the spotlight grows bigger. I don't mind listening to him, but this offseason has just been a rough one if you are a Chiefs fan. I am mentally exhausted. It feels like we are in a playoff run right now. Well, I think it feels like one. I wouldn't know when it comes to KC. I was 8 when they last made one.

KevB
02-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Yeah, but he does a lot of stupid shit and he's only led ONE winning team in four years. Personally, I feel the jury is still out.

I get it. He loves to be the gunslinger type QB and makes some dumb mistakes because of it. I wonder if Lions fans would trade him for the first pick?

WildTurkey
02-27-2013, 12:54 AM
I get it. He loves to be the gunslinger type QB and makes some dumb mistakes because of it. I wonder if Lions fans would trade him for the first pick?

Damn he'd be a beast working with Andy Reid.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2013, 01:08 AM

You'd have to ask Lions fans, not me.

But when a QB leads a team to 2-14, 6-10, 10-6 and 4-12 again, I think there are plenty of doubts, especially when you have the best receiver in the game.

It is a coincidence that he hasn't been extended beyond his rookie contract?

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2013, 01:09 AM
Damn he'd be a beast working with Andy Reid.

And he'd most likely continue to throw dumb interceptions.

How many Lions games have you seen over the past four years?

WildTurkey
02-27-2013, 01:20 AM
And he'd most likely continue to throw dumb interceptions.

How many Lions games have you seen over the past four years?

Plenty I'm a Stafford fan. I don't mind the gunslinger mentality and I think his physical ability is off the charts good. He's been terribly inconsistent you're right he's throwing too many bad interceptions. I'd love to see him with a good set of coaches and a running game and see how he does.

ChiefAshhole20
02-27-2013, 01:29 AM
Stafford is about to make $20 mil this year, why in the hell have they not restructured that yet? It is literally strangling the Lions with his and Megatrons megadeal. If NE can find a way to shrink Tom Brady's cap hit, Stafford should be able to be talked down from 20. Spread it out and turn the remaining amount into guarantees for more years.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2013, 01:40 AM
Plenty I'm a Stafford fan. I don't mind the gunslinger mentality and I think his physical ability is off the charts good. He's been terribly inconsistent you're right he's throwing too many bad interceptions. I'd love to see him with a good set of coaches and a running game and see how he does.

I've watched several Lions games the past few years due to the Sunday Ticket and I have to disagree with the "gunslinger" characterization.

The guy is just flat-out awful at times. I mean, AWFUL.

I don't think that can be blamed on Scott Linehan and the staff. The guy just hasn't progressed since college and continues to make bone-headed mistakes.

NJChiefsFan
02-27-2013, 01:51 AM
I've watched several Lions games the past few years due to the Sunday Ticket and I have to disagree with the "gunslinger" characterization.

I don't think that can be blamed on Scott Linehan and the staff. The guy just hasn't progressed since college and continues to make bone-headed mistakes.

Weren't they on pace to set an NFL record for passing attempts? Did they do that? Either way, that's not the type of thing that usually helps right the ship of a QB struggling to get it all right. Not saying they should run it 40 times, but having an offense based entirely off the pass isn't going to help him get on track.

WildTurkey
02-27-2013, 01:51 AM

He'd be frustrating to watch as a Lions fan because he shows flashes of being an elite QB. But I can't help but think if he was somewhere else under someone who has been successful with developing QB's that he might reach his potential. If he bombs again in Detroit we will probably get a chance to find out.

DaneMcCloud
02-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Don't get me wrong: I'd love for the Chiefs to have a year or two with Stafford. If Reid or whomever could correct his mistakes, I think he would be elite.

But years into it, can he change? I know Steve Young was able to do it, so there is hope for him. But I somewhat agree that he needs better coaching or to get out of Detroit, altogether.

ChiefAshhole20
02-27-2013, 02:03 AM
1.1 for Stafford?

ChiefAshhole20
02-27-2013, 02:03 AM
Would he be worth it/it worth him?

NJChiefsFan
02-27-2013, 02:05 AM
After the 5,000 yard season I just put it in my mind that Stafford would keep going up. Crazy to think DET might be done with him after a bad season. Your points are true though. At some point he needs to step up. He has been way too inconsistent. Just seems like he is on a playground.

Deberg_1990
02-27-2013, 07:57 AM
You'd have to ask Lions fans, not me.

But when a QB leads a team to 2-14, 6-10, 10-6 and 4-12 again, I think there are plenty of doubts, especially when you have the best receiver in the game.

It is a coincidence that he hasn't been extended beyond his rookie contract?

I get your point but he was hurt alot his first 2 seasons. I hionestly think he will end up like a Drew Bledsoe or a Phillip Rivers. But that doesnt mean any of these guys werent worth the #1 overall pick. They absolutely were.

DaKCMan AP
02-27-2013, 08:26 AM
After the 5,000 yard season I just put it in my mind that Stafford would keep going up. Crazy to think DET might be done with him after a bad season. Your points are true though. At some point he needs to step up. He has been way too inconsistent. Just seems like he is on a playground.

It is kind of crazy that they'd give up on him already. In reality, last season was only his 3rd as a full-time starter (10+ games).

If Detroit can get him real run support and a 2nd option to CJ, look out. It's not like they haven't tried - they've just been very unlucky (injuries to Jahvid Best and Nate Burleson, Titus Young wigging out).

htismaqe
02-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Yep.

I'm ready to admit I was wrong on Stafford. He just doesn't seem to have "it".

htismaqe
02-27-2013, 08:48 AM
1.1 for Stafford?

FUCK NO.

DJ's left nut
02-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Wow.

I didn't realize that Mayock was stumping for Curry, Smith or Monroe over Stafford.

Well that closes the book on that. I don't know how you put any stock in what the guy has to say about first round quarterbacks in light of that bit of information.

DJ's left nut
02-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Yep.

I'm ready to admit I was wrong on Stafford. He just doesn't seem to have "it".

What?

Stafford threw for 5k yards in 2011. He almost threw for 5k more this year in a season that he really struggled. His O-line is a wreck, his running game is in shambles. The entire offense is essentially him trying to buy some time to fire it deep. You're asking a hell of a lot from a kid that was 24 last season, aren't you?

He's a damn tough kid, he's maturing annually as a leader. Yeah, he had a tough season last season, but I think his arm may have been bothering him.

Look at it this way - the only huge difference between his 2011 and his 2012 was the number of TD passes he threw. Well we've all seen how raw TD numbers can be misleading and often a result of circumstances or good/bad luck. Moreover, if he had reversed those years, would there even be a question that he was worth 1.1? Do you feel he's truly declining? Or just that he had an off 2012? Or maybe you think 2011 is the outlier and 2012 is who he is, but again, that's being pretty hard on a 24 yr old.

The only reason I wouldn't give up 1.1 for him is the cap cost that would come with it. Stafford's a hell of a QB and he's only going to get better.

htismaqe
02-27-2013, 09:03 AM
What?

Stafford threw for 5k yards in 2011. He almost threw for 5k more this year in a season that he really struggled. His O-line is a wreck, his running game is in shambles. The entire offense is essentially him trying to buy some time to fire it deep. You're asking a hell of a lot from a kid that was 24 last season, aren't you?

He's a damn tough kid, he's maturing annually as a leader. Yeah, he had a tough season last season, but I think his arm may have been bothering him.

Look at it this way - the only huge difference between his 2011 and his 2012 was the number of TD passes he threw. Well we've all seen how raw TD numbers can be misleading and often a result of circumstances or good/bad luck. Moreover, if he had reversed those years, would there even be a question that he was worth 1.1? Do you feel he's truly declining? Or just that he had an off 2012? Or maybe you think 2011 is the outlier and 2012 is who he is, but again, that's being pretty hard on a 24 yr old.

The only reason I wouldn't give up 1.1 for him is the cap cost that would come with it. Stafford's a hell of a QB and he's only going to get better.

I wouldn't give up the 1.1 for him because he can't stay on the field. His injury history is a big concern for me.

As for the rest of it, I was "all in" on Stafford. I thought he had EVERYTHING you want in a QB. I'm pretty sure now he DOESN'T.

That doesn't mean he's a bust. But he's not Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees.

Deberg_1990
02-27-2013, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't give up the 1.1 for him because he can't stay on the field. His injury history is a big concern for me.

As for the rest of it, I was "all in" on Stafford. I thought he had EVERYTHING you want in a QB. I'm pretty sure now he DOESN'T.

That doesn't mean he's a bust. But he's not Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees.

I think peoples perceptions get skewed by the fast burn performance of last years QB trifecta of Wilson, RGIII and Luck. Most young Qbs take alot of time and a whole lot of patience to develop. Heck, id be willing to bet that Wilson, RGIII and Luck fall back to earth some this next season.

penbrook
02-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Per Al Wallace on NFLN: The#Chiefs *do really like Geno Smith. They like his arm, his speed, the way he throws, and he had a great interview

htismaqe
02-27-2013, 09:30 AM
I think peoples perceptions get skewed by the fast burn performance of last years QB trifecta of Wilson, RGIII and Luck. Most young Qbs take alot of time and a whole lot of patience to develop. Heck, id be willing to bet that Wilson, RGIII and Luck fall back to earth some this next season.

Those guys don't figure in to my evaluation of Stafford at all.

wazu
02-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Per Al Wallace on NFLN: The#Chiefs *do really like Geno Smith. They like his arm, his speed, the way he throws, and he had a great interview

If this is true, how can they possibly justify drafting anyone else?

htismaqe
02-27-2013, 09:38 AM

They can't.

I think they're going to bring Alex Smith for a 4th and draft Geno.

penbrook
02-27-2013, 09:48 AM

Al Wallace is a chiefs insider btw.

the Talking Can
02-27-2013, 09:51 AM

http://iliketowastemytime.com/sites/default/files/amazing-gifs-pt4-cat-hug.gif

the Talking Can
02-27-2013, 09:51 AM
every day i lose hope, wake up hopeful, lose hope, wake up hopeful...

DaKCMan AP
02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
every day i lose hope, wake up hopeful, lose hope, wake up hopeful...

Every day I wake up Awesome and it never fades. You can too. Believe! :thumb:

the Talking Can
02-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Every day I wake up Awesome and it never fades. You can too. Believe! :thumb:

LMAO

bevischief
02-27-2013, 11:34 AM
This is probably next. :banghead:

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
fuck...
Posted via Mobile Device