Setsuna
02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
IT'S A TERRIBLE TRADE

There. Analyzed.

DaFace
02-27-2013, 07:49 PM
IT'S A TERRIBLE TRADE

There. Analyzed.

Pretty much the only result of any thread posted about the trade for the next month.

But seriously...cliff notes? Not really in the mood to hear 30 minutes about it.

-King-
02-27-2013, 07:53 PM
For the people who say its not a terrible trade, how do you justify it? What about Alex Smith makes this a good trade?
Posted via Mobile Device

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-27-2013, 07:55 PM
ESPN analyzed? Might as well be in some forgotten language.

PRIEST
02-27-2013, 07:56 PM
For the people who say its not a terrible trade, how do you justify it? What about Alex Smith makes this a good trade?
Posted via Mobile Device

Waiting . No good answer to be had? I sure the hell can't think of one.

FloridaMan88
02-27-2013, 07:58 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LQZJ9ZLa2So/TL1EaDwF5mI/AAAAAAAAAu0/nQXq09C1Cj4/s1600/Dumpster-Fire.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Matt Schaub was traded for 2 #2 picks . I'd rather have Alex Smith !

Mr. Laz
Alex Smith was almost cut
The tried to replace Alex Smith with Peyton Manning
Alex Smith was benched

He is not worth two 2nd round picks, especially not high ones.

Maybe a single 3rd rouner or a high 4th rounder.

The reports better be wrong. We better be exchanging 2nd round picks this year and then a compensatory pick next year. Still too much but at least it won't make me puke.

Bewbies
We have prolapse, they are laying next to us enjoying a cigarette.

DaFace
02-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll tell this story in the form of a parable:

There once were two college quarterbacks. Both of them were really good, but most people felt that both of them had a ways to go before they would be ready to play in the NFL. Even so, there was a team that had the #1 pick that desperately needed a quarterback, so one of the players was taken at #1. Hooray!

That player went to a team that was really bad. He was immediately thrown into the QB position because the team had no other choice. He had a horrible first few seasons as he learned on the job and was constantly running for his life behind an offensive line that couldn't protect him. It took years for him to finally relax and be able to fill the role at even a mediocre level. Eventually, though, he started to live up to his potential and even almost took a team to a Super Bowl.

The other player dropped in the draft and almost didn't even get taken in the first round. He ended up going to a team that had a starting quarterback, but he was able to learn without having to run for his life. Eventually, though, he got his chance, and thrived. He won a Super Bowl and got close a couple other times.

Geno Smith is going to end up in one of the two situations above. If he came here, he'd be in the former. Could he succeed? It's possible, but unlikely given how much he has to learn. At a minimum, it would likely take at least a few seasons before he's ready.

If we'd drafted Geno, chances are we'd be in for a couple more crappy seasons at a minimum, and even then he might not pan out. With Alex, we're able to at least be a fun team to watch for a couple years, and he might even surprise us and be good enough for us to truly compete in the playoffs. Hopefully, we'll still draft someone this year and can begin grooming him to take over in a few years. Regardless, I hope to at least be able to stomach watching games this year.

Alex isn't exciting, and I'm not a huge fan of how much we gave up to get him, but we HAD to bring in a vet of some sort this year. Expecting to start and be successful this year is just wishful thinking. Alex was the best vet QB available, so that makes it a decent (if not exciting) move.

You may now proceed to tell me all about how much of an idiot I am.

NJChiefsFan
02-27-2013, 08:11 PM
The problem Daface isn't in bringing in a vet. Its PISSING away a 34 overall pick. Sweet hell the amount of talent that will be there. It's about giving away MORE than that. Its about that probably meaning no QB in this draft and giving Smith time. You don't shit away picks and then give the guy 16 games to turn shit around.

oldandslow
02-27-2013, 08:11 PM
I'll tell this story in the form of a parable.....

EXACTLY...Best post of the day.

DaKCMan AP
02-27-2013, 08:12 PM
The problem Daface isn't in bringing in a vet. Its PISSING away a 34 overall pick. Sweet hell the amount of talent that will be there. It's about giving away MORE than that. Its about that probably meaning no QB in this draft and giving Smith time. You don't shit away picks and then give the guy 16 games to turn shit around.

It's more than that. It's also wasting the #1 pick on an OT when we already have an OT.

Hog's Gone Fishin
Daface is right on target ! Everybody else is stuped !

Hammock Parties
If we'd drafted Geno, chances are we'd be in for a couple more crappy seasons at a minimum, and even then he might not pan out. With Alex, we're able to at least be a fun team to watch for a couple years, and he might even surprise us and be good enough for us to truly compete in the playoffs.

Yay, true fans.

Draft a QB in the 1st? OH NO IT RISKY!

oldandslow

What Vet were you gonna bring in that would be better than Smith?

Hammock Parties
02-27-2013, 08:13 PM
FYI there is not a god damn thing that is fun about watching Alex Smith check the fucking ball down.

That's what he is. A checkdown king.

God dammit.

Sorter

There once were two college quarterbacks. Both of them were really good, but most people felt that both of them had a ways to go before they would be ready to play in the NFL. Even so, there was a team that had the #1 pick that desperately needed a quarterback, so one of the players was taken at #1. Hooray!

That player went to a team that was really bad. He was immediately thrown into the QB position because the team had no other choice. He had a horrible first few seasons as he learned on the job and was constantly running for his life behind an offensive line that couldn't protect him. It took years for him to finally relax and be able to fill the role at even a mediocre level. Eventually, though, he started to live up to his potential and even almost took a team to a Super Bowl.

The other player dropped in the draft and almost didn't even get taken in the first round. He ended up going to a team that had a starting quarterback, but he was able to learn without having to run for his life. Eventually, though, he got his chance, and thrived. He won a Super Bowl and got close a couple other times.

Geno Smith is going to end up in one of the two situations above. If he came here, he'd be in the former. Could he succeed? It's possible, but unlikely given how much he has to learn. At a minimum, it would likely take at least a few seasons before he's ready.

If we'd drafted Geno, chances are we'd be in for a couple more crappy seasons at a minimum, and even then he might not pan out. With Alex, we're able to at least be a fun team to watch for a couple years, and he might even surprise us and be good enough for us to truly compete in the playoffs. Hopefully, we'll still draft someone this year and can begin grooming him to take over in a few years. Regardless, I hope to at least be able to stomach watching games this year.

Alex isn't exciting, and I'm not a huge fan of how much we gave up to get him, but we HAD to bring in a vet of some sort this year. Expecting to start and be successful this year is just wishful thinking. Alex was the best vet QB available, so that makes it a decent (if not exciting) move.

That simply isn't true anymore. Andy Dalton went to a much worse team, with an OC from the Arena league and went to the playoffs 2X in the AFCN.

FFS, Christian Ponder made the playoffs this year and that Vikings roster is a joke.

threebag
Posted via Mobile Device

Anybody But Cassel.

DonTellMeShowMe
02-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Matt Schaub was traded for 2 #2 picks . I'd rather have Alex Smith !

Dude Matt Schaub has Andre freaking Johnson to throw to...Smith would have loved to have a receiver like that.

NJChiefsFan
02-27-2013, 08:14 PM
It's more than that. It's also wasting the #1 pick on an OT when we already have an OT.

I didn't want to go any further. I can't handle it.

Did you read my post, at all?

O.city
02-27-2013, 08:15 PM
The Chiefs again settle for known mediocrity over the unknown chance that a guy could become Aaron Rodgers. He might be Tim Couch though to it's too scary.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-27-2013, 08:16 PM
Dude Matt Schaub has Andre freaking Johnson to throw to...Smith would have loved to have a receiver like that.

And what the hell does that have to do with anything in the world ?

DaFace
02-27-2013, 08:16 PM

So just to make sure, it's OK to reach for a QB if it's a rookie with a lot of unknowns, but it's blasphemy to reach for a QB when it's a known (albeit unexciting) commodity? QB's are worth more than any other player on the field, so while it seems like the picks are too high (and I generally agree), it's the way it goes. Cutler was worth two firsts and a third. Palmer was worth two firsts. Alex is apparently worth two seconds.

chop
02-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Alex Smith was almost cut
The tried to replace Alex Smith with Peyton Manning
Alex Smith was benched

He is not worth two 2nd round picks, especially not high ones.

Maybe a single 3rd rouner or a high 4th rounder.

The reports better be wrong. We better be exchanging 2nd round picks this year and then a compensatory pick next year. Still too much but at least it won't make me puke.

I hope they are not giving that much up too. I wouldn't have an issue if it was a third round pick even though I'm not a big fan of Alex Smith. I don't know if this http://www.profootballcentral.com/2013/02/27/raiders-raised-the-price-up-for-alex-smith/ is true but it makes me think the compensation reported is correct.

DaFace
02-27-2013, 08:17 PM
That simply isn't true anymore. Andy Dalton went to a much worse team, with an OC from the Arena league and went to the playoffs 2X in the AFCN.

FFS, Christian Ponder made the playoffs this year and that Vikings roster is a joke.

So our expectations of Geno are Andy Dalton and Christian Ponder? Yikes.

oldandslow
02-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Yeah, no kidding. Give me Alex Smith.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-27-2013, 08:24 PM
I wanted a Daisy Red Ryder Air Rifle and got Sheriff Joe Arpaio pink underwear rejects.

Bewbies
Why is it better to trade for a guy who sucks, rather than draft a guy that may or may not suck? When did upside get so scary?

TribalElder
Give me Alex Smith.

Said nobody ever

LOL

Sorter
02-27-2013, 08:25 PM

Nice manipulation there. LMAO

Let me break it down for you, Sr. True-Fan.

If Andy fucking Dalton can have success as a rookie playing in the toughest division in the NFL with a team arguably worse than ours, with a first year playcaller from the Arena League, then there is no reason why Geno, with our roster + Reid + a weak schedule couldn't have success initially.

Rookie QBs coming in and shitting the bed ala Clausen isn't the norm, it is the opposite. Just because you fail to realize or accept that the game is changing and has been for a while doesn't mean it's the same as it was in the 90s. LMAO.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-27-2013, 08:25 PM
The obvious play was to draft Geno and sign a Matt Moore/Matt Hasselbeck type as a starter until the bye, then a quality backup.

You give Geno time to get ready, but still get his feet wet.

tk13
02-27-2013, 08:27 PM
I don't know why people continue to rip on Andy Dalton. I truly think whoever gets Geno, or any of these rookies, will be doing very well if they come close to what Dalton's done the first two years.

GloryDayz
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe she does fans????

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/7-elizabeth-barry-smith-alex-smith-super-bowl-xlvii-wags.jpg

Sorter
The obvious play was to draft Geno and sign a Matt Moore/Matt Hasselbeck type as a starter until the bye, then a quality backup.

Yup. If he out performs in TC, fine. If not, still fine.

Mav

And that is the thing that i think people are missing. Andy Reid has a qb in mind to develop. He isnt saying its Alex Smith and no one else. he has his qb to win with now, and he will draft one like he did with Nick Foles, or kevin kolb, and will develop him, and if alex sucks, gets hurt, fails, andy will have the young guy ready to go.

BigRedChief
02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
If we'd drafted Geno, chances are we'd be in for a couple more crappy seasons at a minimum, and even then he might not pan out.One of my working theories on Reid/Dorsey's motives. Maybe they thought by the time Geno is ready our defensive window is closed or closing.

DaFace
02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Why is it better to trade for a guy who sucks, rather than draft a guy that may or may not suck? When did upside get so scary?

I'd rather take a guy who may or may not suck at a position worth his value and groom him under someone who's going to give me a reason to watch this year. I still hope that we take a QB somewhere in the draft this year. I'm just not freaking out that it wasn't at #1.

Sorter
02-27-2013, 08:29 PM
I'd rather take a guy who may or may not suck at a position worth his value and groom him under someone who's going to give me a reason to watch this year. I still hope that we take a QB somewhere in the draft this year. I'm just not freaking out that it wasn't at #1.

Well, enjoy hoping Landry Jones pans out. LMAO

Mr. Laz
02-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Cassel - Smith
Albert - Joeckel
2nd round - gone

This draft and offseason is looking like waste/wash ... neither is significantly enough upgrade to warrant the cost.

Don't want to hear about how much better Alex Smith is because until Harbaugh arrived Smith WAS Cassel.

DaFace
02-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Well, enjoy hoping Landry Jones pans out. LMAO

There are many things that could happen between now and the draft.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-27-2013, 08:35 PM
And that is the thing that i think people are missing. Andy Reid has a qb in mind to develop. He isnt saying its Alex Smith and no one else. he has his qb to win with now, and he will draft one like he did with Nick Foles, or kevin kolb, and will develop him, and if alex sucks, gets hurt, fails, andy will have the young guy ready to go.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. We have lots of good players in their primeNOW.

And BTW we know you've been hired by the front office to try and calm down the fan base. But I tell you what, you tell Reid if it doesn't pan out he better be watching the sky because we'll be flyin banners and his days will be numbered along with AS.

bigbucks24
02-27-2013, 08:35 PM

What if, after pouring over hours and hours of film, Andy said, "Fellas, I know QBs and Geno isn't the guy. I don't think he has a high upside and i don't think he can take us to the promise land." What should he do then? Draft Geno anyhow? Even if years of experience is telling him Geno is not a franchise QB?

Mav
02-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Cassel - Smith
Albert - Joeckel
2nd round - gone

This draft and offseason is looking like waste/wash ... neither is significantly enough upgrade to warrant the cost.

Don't want to hear about how much better Alex Smith is because until Harbaugh arrived Smith WAS Cassel.

You almost got it. Andy Reid came, Andy Reid knows qbs far better than you, Andy Reid decided that he cant win with Matt Cassell. The way I understand it, you cant resign both albert, and Bowe. You can however draft joeckel, pay bowe, and get a qb at the very least that wont turn the ball over, and keep you in ball games. How is that not better than 2-14?

Sorter
02-27-2013, 08:36 PM
There are many things that could happen between now and the draft.

It's okay. I'm still holding out hope that somehow Aaron Rodgers ends up a Chief.

Since, you know, there are many things that could happen between now and the draft.

Mav
02-27-2013, 08:38 PM
That's exactly what I've been thinking. We have lots of good players in their primeNOW.

And BTW we know you've been hired by the front office to try and calm down the fan base. But I tell you what, you tell Reid if it doesn't pan out he better be watching the sky because we'll be flyin banners and his days will be numbered along with AS.

Will do.

Actually, I am a former 49er fan who is sick to death of how the fans over there, and the coaches treated him. So, for lack of a better word, I am now a chiefs fan. Alex Smith is everything that is right with athletes. Hard worker dedicated, smart, tough, and a true leader.

Cannibal
02-27-2013, 08:39 PM
You almost got it. Andy Reid came, Andy Reid knows qbs far better than you, Andy Reid decided that he cant win with Matt Cassell. The way I understand it, you cant resign both albert, and Bowe. You can however draft joeckel, pay bowe, and get a qb at the very least that wont turn the ball over, and keep you in ball games. How is that not better than 2-14?

Yes, we can resign albert and bowe you fucking dipshit. Fucking faggot. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2013, 08:40 PM
we had enough cash to sign Manning for 15 million per ... we have enough to sign both Albert and Bowe. That is about whether they are worth the money, not whether we have it or not.

That is still too much of a wash situation to even be worth it.

give up two 2nd round picks for basically a wash? :cuss:

OrtonsPiercedTaint

We've read the script and seen the movie. It's called Open Water. You can only tread it for so long.

Cannibal
Hard worker dedicated, smart, tough, and a true leader.

and uninspiringly average, bordering on shitty actually.

NJChiefsFan
02-27-2013, 08:41 PM
So just to make sure, it's OK to reach for a QB if it's a rookie with a lot of unknowns, but it's blasphemy to reach for a QB when it's a known (albeit unexciting) commodity? QB's are worth more than any other player on the field, so while it seems like the picks are too high (and I generally agree), it's the way it goes. Cutler was worth two firsts and a third. Palmer was worth two firsts. Alex is apparently worth two seconds.

Just because somebody pays something doesn't mean you got the right value for it. Palmer isn't worth 2 firsts and Alex isn't worth 2 seconds.

As for you question, yes its OK. Because when I look at a QB I want one with a chance to get to a SB. I am not claiming a QB in this draft is a lock or even near one to do so. I am claiming that if I have a choice, build a super team around Alex Smith and hope he has a perfect season and we somehow steal a SB versus taking a chance and hoping a rookie QB this year has a high ceiling, yeah I am taking the risk on the QB.

I am not afraid to have a losing season. I am afraid of mediocracy. IMO Alex Smith is that. He may be a high end version of that, but we are looking at decent seasons with no great runs. Maybe one of these QB's in the draft has a chance at more. That maybe is worth the risk. 1.1 for a chance versus 2.2 knowing what Smith is. It is an easy decision for me.

Fish
02-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Will do.

Actually, I am a former 49er fan who is sick to death of how the fans over there, and the coaches treated him. So, for lack of a better word, I am now a chiefs fan. Alex Smith is everything that is right with athletes. Hard worker dedicated, smart, tough, and a true leader.

:facepalm:

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Wind taken from sails

dirk digler
02-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Just because somebody pays something doesn't mean you got the right value for it. Palmer isn't worth 2 firsts and Alex isn't worth 2 seconds.

As for you question, yes its OK. Because when I look at a QB I want one with a chance to get to a SB. I am not claiming a QB in this draft is a lock or even near one to do so. I am claiming that if I have a choice, build a super team around Alex Smith and hope he has a perfect season and we somehow steal a SB versus taking a chance and hoping a rookie QB this year has a high ceiling, yeah I am taking the risk on the QB.

I am not afraid to have a losing season. I am afraid of mediocracy. IMO Alex Smith is that. He may be a high end version of that, but we are looking at decent seasons with no great runs. Maybe one of these QB's in the draft has a chance at more. That maybe is worth the risk. 1.1 for a chance versus 2.2 knowing what Smith is. It is an easy decision for me.

Yep couldn't agree more.

Bwana
02-27-2013, 08:43 PM
I can't ever get that worked up about this one way or the other with this buffoon of an organization. It has me so numb with all their past moves that there are no real highs or lows left in me, just one long flat line.

TimeForWasp
02-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Trick shot will save us. I'm not really joking. Cinderella story.

WV
02-27-2013, 08:45 PM

Here's the way I see it and why I'm so pissed off.

The Chiefs were obviously not comfortable drafting or "reaching" for one of these QB's #1 overall. So instead of waiting until closer to the draft or even after pro-days to see how things pan out with this crop or perhaps waiting for Alex Smith to be released, they go and fall for the 49'ers creating a market for a QB that there was no market for and over pay or "reach" if you will for Matt Cassel 2.0.

Not only does this fuck up the 2nd round because we gave up that pick for a "stop gap" above average Matt Cassel 2.0, it also screws up the 1st round. We get this BS every couple years about this QB crop isn't worthy, yet remarkably one is typically taken very high. Well trading for Matt Cassel 2.0 fucks up any leverage that we had for any team that perhaps did see a QB worthy of the #1 overall. On top of that, I've heard numerous times that in this draft the #1 overall is un-tradeable...you know because these QB's stink. So even in the best case scenario, who is going to trade up to get a G or one of three T's now virtually regarded as interchangeable?

Not only did they COMPLETELY over pay by giving the #34 overall, but to me they fucked up the whole draft strategy unless they are planning on "reaching" for a T (who we shouldn't need) or a fucking G at #1 overall.

I could have swallowed trading for Matt 2.0 if it were for a 4th and still wouldn't have been happy about it, but possible two 2nds is just plain moronic. At least in this scenario there is a modicum of a chance we would still get the QB we wanted at #1 or a nice consolation prize at #34. But our build through the draft GM and QB guru HC decided to waste picks on yet another soon to be 29yr old retread unproven QB they have a hard on for and can "fix" or get the most out of.

They can both pound sand.

GloryDayz
02-27-2013, 08:45 PM
So does Alex "FUCK FACE" Smith have a CP account yet do you think???

Welcome aboard ALEX!!!! Now fuck the fuck off ALEX - NOOB!!! Room with Eric, that big fat-lip pussy will have your back!

MeatRock
02-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Will do.

LMAO LMAO

NJChiefsFan
02-27-2013, 08:47 PM
I can't ever get that worked up about this one way or the other with this buffoon of an organization. It has me so numb with all their past moves that there are no real highs or lows left in me, just one long flat line.

This is how I was until Clark made all these moves. The past few seasons didn't even make me mad anymore. I jumped back in, sucker that I am.

Mav
02-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Yes, we can resign albert and bowe you ****ing dipshit. ****ing pillowbitergot. You have no idea what you're talking about.

and uninspiringly average, bordering on shitty actually.

You know the problem with being stupid? Someone being stupid within two posts. You just called me all kinds of names because i didnt know about your players, and then you try to tell me about a 49er player that I have been watching for 8 years?

Child, PLEASE

cdcox
02-27-2013, 08:48 PM
It's okay. I'm still holding out hope that somehow Aaron Rodgers ends up a Chief.

Since, you know, there are many things that could happen between now and the draft.

2019, just wait.

Cannibal
02-27-2013, 08:48 PM
You know the problem with being stupid? Someone being stupid within two posts. You just called me all kinds of names because i didnt know about your players, and then you try to tell me about a 49er player that I have been watching for 8 years?

Child, PLEASE

game manager. we've seen them for years. you don't keep the reigns on them, they implode.

Cannibal
02-27-2013, 08:49 PM
and sometimes they implode even with the reigns on.

Bwana
02-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Will do.

I hope it works out for us, but this smells a lot like the Cassel signing back in the day. I also hope Reid can coach him up and make him a winner. Who the hell knows, only time will tell.

Mav
02-27-2013, 08:51 PM
game manager. we've seen them for years. you don't keep the reigns on them, they implode.

You see his last game? 18/19 3 tds......70 percent completion percentage, 7th in the league in total qbr, 3rd in rating. You clearly have NO idea what you are talking about. So, again, stfu, the grown ups are talking.......

Sorter
02-27-2013, 08:52 PM
2019, just wait.

ROFL

Mav
02-27-2013, 08:53 PM
and sometimes they implode even with the reigns on.

Like when in the last two years?

The giants game this year? thats about the only one. Hes been pretty much on point for the past year and a half, hell even in the game he lost his job he was 7/8 with a td. Have you had that kind of qbing in KC in the past 20 years?

Hell no. the offensive talent on KC if you keep bowe, is very comparable to the 49ers.

Jamaal Charles is going to absolutely explode.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Obvious mult is obvious

cdcox
02-27-2013, 08:54 PM
You see his last game? 18/19 3 tds......70 percent completion percentage, 7th in the league in total qbr, 3rd in rating. You clearly have NO idea what you are talking about. So, again, stfu, the grown ups are talking.......

He passes 25 times a game. One of the lowest attempts per game in the league. Harbaugh was protecting him from over exposure. Reid passes 35 times a game. He's not going to hold that stat line when the whole offense rides on his back.

Mav
02-27-2013, 08:55 PM
I hope it works out for us, but this smells a lot like the Cassel signing back in the day. I also hope Reid can coach him up and make him a winner. Who the hell knows, only time will tell.

He is already a winner. Andy Reid will call plays to his strengths. Your tight ends will be absolutely unstoppable, and with alex smiths ability to read the defense, the run game will be absolutely unstoppable keeping your defense fresh.

I was excited when alex got traded here. I also understand why people are pissed that they did do this trade. Alex Smith is better than people know, and if Andy Reid thinks he can win with him, I think the least people could do is give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not gonna happen. I would probably be pissed too to be honest.

Mav
02-27-2013, 08:57 PM
He passes 25 times a game. One of the lowest attempts per game in the league. Harbaugh was protecting him from over exposure. Reid passes 35 times a game. He's not going to hold that stat line when the whole offense rides on his back.

No, Alex Smith determined what was ran at the line of scrimmage. Do some research. Understand that Alex Smith understood how good the 49ers run game is, and used it. When he was benched because of his concussion, the 49ers had the number one rushing attack in football.

How is this a bad thing. You have JAMAAL CHARLES..............

Brando
02-27-2013, 08:58 PM

Child, PLEASE

Andre? I do agree with you however. All this rage over not drafting Akili Peete.

Sorter
02-27-2013, 08:58 PM
He is already a winner. Andy Reid will call plays to his strengths. Your tight ends will be absolutely unstoppable, and with alex smiths ability to read the defense, the run game will be absolutely unstoppable keeping your defense fresh.

I was excited when alex got traded here. I also understand why people are pissed that they did do this trade. Alex Smith is better than people know, and if Andy Reid thinks he can win with him, I think the least people could do is give him the benefit of the doubt.

What magical fucking TEs? Brokeaki? Are we resigning Jake O'Connell? ROFL

You're an imbecilic excuse for a human being and I sincerely hope you never procreate.

cdcox
02-27-2013, 08:59 PM

For a championship caliber defense, an offense that relies on short passes is the easiest to defend because they don't have to defend the whole field. Your QB needs to get the ball to the wideouts and you need a credible long threat. We're not going to win a Super Bowl throwing to Moeaki.

Pasta Little Brioni
Andre? I do agree with you however. All this rage over not drafting Akili Peete.

Because those comparison are soooooo spot on:drool: But, but, but they are black!!

Mav
What magical ****ing TEs? Brokeaki? Are we resigning Jake O'Connell? ROFL

You're an imbecilic excuse for a human being and I sincerely hope you never procreate.

oh cool. So you only have one draft pick in the entire draft? didnt know, and are you guys barred from free agency?

And you are hoping IM THE ONE WHO DOESNT PROCREATE?

cdcox
02-27-2013, 09:00 PM
No, Alex Smith determined what was ran at the line of scrimmage. Do some research. Understand that Alex Smith understood how good the 49ers run game is, and used it. When he was benched because of his concussion, the 49ers had the number one rushing attack in football.

How is this a bad thing. You have JAMAAL CHARLES..............

And Andy Reid who passes 35 times a game. Andy will set the offense, not Alex D. Smith.

Pasta Little Brioni
02-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Hi Mrs. Smith

Brando
Because those comparison are soooooo spot on:drool: But, but, but they are black!!

I've been watching Geno all through college. He is not and never has been worthy of the number one pick.

Not because he's black but because he will flop.

If I thought he was an asshole I would have said Ryan Leaf.

crossbow
Cassel - Smith
Albert - Joeckel
2nd round - gone

Yep. Waisted opportunities again. Another year pissed away and the fans frustrated again.

Mav
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
For a championship caliber defense, an offense that relies on short passes is the easiest to defend because they don't have to defend the whole field. Your QB needs to get the ball to the wideouts and you need a credible long threat. We're not going to win a Super Bowl throwing to Moeaki.

Do you know who Alex Smiths number one target was this year?

Michael Crabtree. I believe that Dwaye Bowe is better than him is he not? I say tight ends because Alex Smith will use them if he needs to. I always liked Moeaki though.

Sorter
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
oh cool. So you only have one draft pick in the entire draft? didnt know, and are you guys barred from free agency?

And you are hoping IM THE ONE WHO DOESNT PROCREATE?

Well, we're now missing the 34th pick, which could have been used to get one of your mystical TEs you think Alex Smith will turn into Vernon Davis 2.0

Given the rest of the needs on the roster, I'd say using our 3rd round pick on a TE in this draft probably isn't the best decision, you mongoloid.

Mav
02-27-2013, 09:03 PM
And Andy Reid who passes 35 times a game. Andy will set the offense, not Alex D. Smith.

LOL, Andy Reid is going to use Alex Smiths strengths. He isnt going to force alex to throw the ball all over creation.

Mav
02-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Well, we're now missing the 34th pick, which could have been used to get one of your mystical TEs you think Alex Smith will turn into Vernon Davis 2.0

Given the rest of the needs on the roster, I'd say using our 3rd round pick on a TE in this draft probably isn't the best decision, you mongoloid.

Oh, so now you have two picks? tell me there. Where was Antonio Gates drafted? Jermichael Finley? Brett Celek? Jason Witten? Jared Cook? Dont worry, ill wait.......

I dont even have to start with name calling. I just destroy with facts.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-27-2013, 09:07 PM
What if, after pouring over hours and hours of film, Andy said, "Fellas, I know QBs and Geno isn't the guy. I don't think he has a high upside and i don't think he can take us to the promise land." What should he do then? Draft Geno anyhow? Even if years of experience is telling him Geno is not a franchise QB?

Are you winning a SB with Alex Smith?

100% definitively never.

What, then, is the point of spending anything other than money to acquire him and ever making him the starter?

There is no excuse.

You fools think you have all the answers, you don't even know the name of the fucking game that's being played.

This isn't about Geno Smith, just like it was never about RGIII or Matt Stafford, or, gasp, Mark Sanchez.

It's about drafting and developing your quarterback. If you don't do that, you aren't winning.

The Chiefs would have a better shot at winning a championship, which, last I checked, is the point of playing the game, had they signed a FA QB off the street as a starter and passed on drafting a QB altogether.

This is the worst of worst case scenarios. Not only are they not drafting a QB, they're trading valuable assets for one that no one else wanted last year, and on top of that, they'll be just good enough to be mediocre, which is just good enough to never get a shot at a QB.

Brando
02-27-2013, 09:07 PM
You're a racist fuck.

The comparison you made is so off base it really stopped being funny in September.

I would love to debate the finer points of racism, however I do not engage in mental pugilism with tweakers on CP.

Sorter
02-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Oh, so now you have two picks? tell me there. Where was Antonio Gates drafted? Jermichael Finley? Brett Celek? Jason Witten? Jared Cook? Dont worry, ill wait.......

ROFL do you really think there is anyone close to Gates/Witten's talent level after the 3rd round?

cdcox
Do you know who Alex Smiths number one target was this year?

Michael Crabtree. I believe that Dwaye Bowe is better than him is he not? I say tight ends because Alex Smith will use them if he needs to. I always liked Moeaki though.

Average air yards on a pass to Crabtree last year was 6.6 yards.

'Hamas' Jenkins

Good point. We should just forfeit all second round picks. What round did you guys take Kaepernick in again?

Sorter
02-27-2013, 09:09 PM
I would love to debate the finer points of racism, however I do not engage in mental pugilism with tweakers on CP.

Do you wear your hood at your clan meetings or do you just put them on after?

Mav
02-27-2013, 09:09 PM

Hilarious, the person chastizing you, has been peppering me with nothing but hate, and childish names, but dares call you out for stating the obvious...

GENO SMITH SUCKS........

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-27-2013, 09:10 PM
LOL, Andy Reid is going to use Alex Smiths strengths. He isnt going to force alex to throw the ball all over creation.

So when defenses stuff the first ten yards of the line with short zones because Smith can't stretch the field, what exactly is he going to do other than check down, throw incomplete passes and take sacks?

Mav

Hes a YAC receiver. hes not jon baldwin, hes not vincent jackson, hes not d jax, or maclin. Hes a catch and run guy. not surprising.

Fairplay

http://i.imgur.com/FUvwbaX.gif

Brando
02-27-2013, 09:12 PM

Do you tie your shoelaces together before you leave the group home?

The IQ of this board has been somewhere between a rock and a turd today.

Sorter
02-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Do you tie your shoelaces together before you leave the group home?

The IQ of this board has been somewhere between a rock and a turd today.

LMAO

Don't be angry that my posts are better than yours.

And exceptionally less racist as well.

Brando
02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
LMAO

Don't be angry that my posts are better than yours.

And exceptionally less racist as well.

I would love to know what I posted that was racist. Comparing an over hyped qb with two other over hypes qb's.

Ask yourself, would a racist vote for Obama twice?

Go fuck yourself and your feeble mind.

Fairplay
02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HHbfD.gif

cdcox
02-27-2013, 09:19 PM

In comparison average air yards on passes to Eagle receivers:

Maclin 8.5
Jackson 10.0
Avant 8.9

The 10-19 yard passing range is Alex D. Smith's least efficient distance at passing. Especially to his left. He only attempted 5 passes to his left in the 10-19 yard range all last season. He was better at intermediate passes in 2011. Regressing?

So he's going to be throwing more passes, at longer distances, where he is less comfortable.

This is going to fail catastrophically.

Sorter
02-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Man, I totally forgot about super ignore with all of these true-fans coming out of the woods.

Mav
02-27-2013, 09:21 PM
So when defenses stuff the first ten yards of the line with short zones because Smith can't stretch the field, what exactly is he going to do other than check down, throw incomplete passes and take sacks?

So you think alex can only throw 10 yards?

Cool story bro

Brando
02-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Man, I totally forgot about super ignore with all of these true-fans coming out of the woods.

Heaven forbid common sense prevail over mob mentality. I pass shits with more football acumen than you.

Cannibal
02-27-2013, 09:22 PM
In comparison average air yards on passes to Eagle receivers:

Maclin 8.5
Jackson 10.0
Avant 8.9

The 10-19 yard passing range is Alex D. Smith's least efficient distance at passing. Especially to his left. He only attempted 5 passes to his left in the 10-19 yard range all last season. He was better at intermediate passes in 2011. Regressing?

So he's going to be throwing more passes, at longer distances, where he is less comfortable.

This is going to fail catastrophically.

Nice work on the stats.

Mav
02-27-2013, 09:22 PM

LOL, whats the matter? cant take the heat, hit the ignore...you started the name calling now you are all butt hurt. hahahahahahahaha

cdcox
02-27-2013, 09:26 PM
So you think alex can only throw 10 yards?

Cool story bro

76% of his completions last year were shorter than 10 yards through the air.

notorious
02-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Anal-lyzed is proper for what the 69ers did.

Cannibal
76% of his completions last year were shorter than 10 yards.

Yep, game manager.

T-Town
I'm still pissed about this train wreck of a trade and all, but fuck it we usually piss our 2nd round pick away anyway (Right Dex?), might as well do it in this fashion. At least Dorsey & Co. bring something new to the table, trading for bad players rather than drafting them.

Frosty
People keep saying that the Chiefs can still draft a QB. It's unlikely that they will pick one now at #1, where they will probably take a LT, and they now don't have a 2nd. So that leaves the 3rd as the first opportunity to do that. They need a TE, safety, corner, ILB, speed receiver, a center or guard and DL. So now it looks like they could come out of the deepest part of the draft with a lateral move at LT, a game manager QB and a 3rd rate rookie QB before getting to any of the other needs. :doh!:

T-Town
02-27-2013, 09:29 PM
People keep saying that the Chiefs can still draft a QB. It's unlikely that they will pick one now at #1, where they will probably take a LT, and they now don't have a 2nd. So that leaves the 3rd as the first opportunity to do that. They need a TE, safety, corner, ILB, speed receiver, a center or guard and DL. So now it looks like they could come out of the deepest part of the draft with a lateral move at LT, a game manager QB and a 3rd rate rookie QB before getting to any of the other needs. :doh!:

Brodie Croyle was NOT 3rd rate!!!!

He was much worse than that....

Hootie
02-27-2013, 09:31 PM
I think Michael Crabtree is probably just as good as Dwayne Bowe

Mav
76% of his completions last year were shorter than 10 yards through the air.

Who was he supposed to throw deep to? Randy Moss? They doubled vernon, and crabs isnt a deep threat.......

Rausch
I think Michael Crabtree is probably just as good as Dwayne Bowe

:spock:

crossbow
02-27-2013, 09:32 PM
I don't need ESPN to analyze this train wreck. Chiefs just waisted the pain of a 2-14 season. They over paid for what they could have gotten for free. All of that so they can win enough games to put a quality QB out of reach for the next 5 years.

Mav
02-27-2013, 09:35 PM
I don't need ESPN to analyze this train wreck. Chiefs just waisted the pain of a 2-14 season. They over paid for what they could have gotten for free. All of that so they can win enough games to put a quality QB out of reach for the next 5 years.

So you would of been cool with wasting another season to try to draft a franchise qb?

And there is that franchise qb in the draft next year? I dont see andrew luck, rg3, or russell wilson walking through that door.

Johnny Manziel? Aaron Murray? I dont know man, id rather have Andy grab a 4th round qb and develop him for two years down the road.

TimeForWasp
02-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Like when in the last two years?

The giants game this year? thats about the only one. Hes been pretty much on point for the past year and a half, hell even in the game he lost his job he was 7/8 with a td. Have you had that kind of qbing in KC in the past 20 years?

Hell no. the offensive talent on KC if you keep bowe, is very comparable to the 49ers.

Jamaal Charles is going to absolutely explode.

I really hope you are right. I'm kinda disheartened that we gave up a high second this year for him, but really really hope you are right. I was just hoping we could just sign him off waivers and lose no picks and still sign a highly rated QB this year.

cdcox
02-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Who was he supposed to throw deep to? Randy Moss? They doubled vernon, and crabs isnt a deep threat.......

37% of Kaepernick's completions traveled more than 10 yards through the air with the same receivers.

T-Town
02-27-2013, 09:40 PM
So you would of been cool with wasting another season to try to draft a franchise qb?

YES

warpaint*
02-27-2013, 09:40 PM
The trade analyzed.

http://thederisoreport.hbcufannation.com/files/2011/04/the-hindenburg-disaster.jpg

94niners
02-27-2013, 09:41 PM
37% of Kaepernick's completions traveled more than 10 yards through the air with the same receivers.

Kaepernick also led the NFL in deep completion percentage, and watching every snap he played, many of those were with blanket coverage on the WR. Comparing Smith to Kaepernick isn't fair, because Kaepernick is poised to start being in the MVP discussion year in and year out.

Frosty
02-27-2013, 09:42 PM
http://thederisoreport.hbcufannation.com/files/2011/04/the-hindenburg-disaster.jpg

http://techpinions.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/great-ships-the-titanic.jpg

Frosty
02-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Kaepernick also led the NFL in deep completion percentage, and watching every snap he played, many of those were with blanket coverage on the WR. Comparing Smith to Kaepernick isn't fair, because Kaepernick is poised to start being in the MVP discussion year in and year out.

So - we get your sloppy seconds? Great. :doh!:

cdcox
02-27-2013, 09:43 PM

Well, exactly my point. I want a Kaepernick. I don't want a David Kreig, Steve Deberg, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, Matt Cassell, or Alex D. Smith. I'm no longer content with settling.

notorious
02-27-2013, 09:44 PM
The Titantic was a great ship.

A pic of a dingy sinking in a shit pond fits better.

Brando
02-27-2013, 09:44 PM
http://www.bakerandassoc.com/images/Len%20Dawson%20Super%20Bowl%204%20MVP.jpg

tk13
02-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Well, exactly my point. I want a Kaepernick. I don't want a David Kreig, Steve Deberg, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, Matt Cassell, or Alex D. Smith. I'm no longer content with settling.

I agree with you, but there's no Kaepernick's out there. Maybe EJ Manuel if he develops into something greater.

Dave Lane
02-27-2013, 09:45 PM

Matt Cassel

Frosty
02-27-2013, 09:46 PM
The Titantic was a great ship.

A pic of a dingy sinking in a shit pond fits better.

How about a trailer in a sinkhole?

http://inspectapedia.com/vision/SinkHole020.jpg

T-Town
02-27-2013, 09:46 PM
http://drawception.com/pub/panels/2012/7-17/rn5Ct5fgAp-2.png

notorious
02-27-2013, 09:47 PM
http://drawception.com/pub/panels/2012/7-17/rn5Ct5fgAp-2.png

JFC, that was fast. ROFL

crossbow
02-27-2013, 09:47 PM

And there is that franchise qb in the draft next year? I dont see andrew luck, rg3, or russell wilson walking through that door.

Johnny Manziel? Aaron Murray? I dont know man, id rather have Andy grab a 4th round qb and develop him for two years down the road.

I don't give a damn who scouts think are good or not. I have had it with 35 years of begging Frisco for their table scraps because they are creative and bold enough to make moves while the Chiefs hide in a corner and let succesful teams take chances. In fairness we took a break and got two retread QBs from Saint Louis and one from New England. This is total insanity. Keep repeating the same mistake over and expecting different results.

Dave Lane
02-27-2013, 09:48 PM
I really hope you are right. I'm kinda disheartened that we gave up a high second this year for him, but really really hope you are right. I was just hoping we could just sign him off waivers and lose no picks and still sign a highly rated QB this year.

There's not a chance in hell he's right.

94niners
02-27-2013, 09:50 PM

That's the problem though. In order to guarantee they have a job for an extended period, coaches and front office people need to produce a reasonable number of wins. The teams that get franchise quarterbacks tend to do so because the previous administration screwed the pooch. Unfortunately, you guys missed the lottery, just like the 49ers did in 2005. Unlike the 49ers of 2005, however, you have a veteran quarterback that can produce wins. It's like punting on fourth down: not very sexy, but safe.

I'm not sure which I'd prefer: 8 years of being a bottom feeder and then gaining a real franchise quarterback, or 8 years of what, say, the Dallas Cowboys have.

Rasputin
02-27-2013, 09:50 PM

At no fucking point is Alex Smiff going be fun to watch. I would rather watch Geno Smith struggle & learn to get better than Alex take one snap for the Chiefs.

warpaint*
02-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Yep, game manager.

Absolutely. The guy could serve as depth and/or a bridge to the future if the drafted QBOF wasn't ready to start from the get go this fall. If they'd given up compensation commensurate with what he actually is and were operating based on that (IE still planning on drafting another QB high) it would be fine.

As is they grossly overpaid for what will be very middling production and keep us in the 7-9/8-8/9-7 type territory. That is not to say that he can't or won't ever win a playoff game. But it will be extremely difficult for the franchise to win a Super Bowl with what's probably off the top of my head the 15th or so best QB in the league.

The bottom line is we got bent.

Frosty
02-27-2013, 09:52 PM
That's the problem though. In order to guarantee they have a job for an extended period, coaches and front office people need to produce a reasonable number of wins. The teams that get franchise quarterbacks tend to do so because the previous administration screwed the pooch. Unfortunately, you guys missed the lottery, just like the 49ers did in 2005. Unlike the 49ers of 2005, however, you have a veteran quarterback that can produce wins. It's like punting on fourth down: not very sexy, but safe.

I'm not sure which I'd prefer: 8 years of being a bottom feeder and then gaining a real franchise quarterback, or 8 years of what, say, the Dallas Cowboys have.

When do we get the real franchise QB?

KCFaninSEA
02-27-2013, 09:54 PM
The Chiefs will cut Dorsey & Cassell, restructure Jackson and probably a couple other players contracts, sign Bowe and Albert, use the #1 on a true DE, sign a CB,ML and receiver and then try to get a safety, QB & another TE in the draft. While we don't know the exact details of the trade, I do think they could have got AS cheaper but to claim this is the end of the world is absurd. This team could be quite good within 1 full season.

To say they will have no chance at a QBOTF because they will be mediocre is also absurd. Almost every QB, whether he is a high first rounder or 4th rounder is hit or miss. Think of Leaf, Couch, Russell and the other Smith, Akili.

cdcox
02-27-2013, 09:54 PM
I agree with you, but there's no Kaepernick's out there. Maybe EJ Manuel if he develops into something greater.

We aren't playing the game where we can get a Kaepernick or a Russell Wilson or a Matt Ryan or a Ben Roethlisberger or a Aaron Rogers.

We're playing the game where we can get a Trent Green every 20 years, best case. And since we are dealling with people significantly into their careers, the window where they can be good is shorter.

Even when we hit, we're getting worse players for shorter periods of time with longer odds of hitting. It's idiotic.

cdcox
02-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Real franchise QB, without a doubt.

warpaint*
02-27-2013, 09:58 PM
The Chiefs will cut Dorsey & Cassell, restructure Jackson and probably a couple other players contracts, sign Bowed and Albert, use the #1 on a true DE, sign a CB,ML and receiver and then try to get a safety, QB & another TE in the draft. While we don't know the exact details of the trade, I do think they could have got AS cheaper but to claim this is the end of the world is absurd. This team could be quite good within 1 full season.

To say they will have no chance at a QBOTF because they will be mediocre is also absurd. Almost every QB, whether he is a high first rounder or 4th rounder is hit or miss. Think of Leaf, Couch, Russell and the other Smith, Akili.

No dude. I mean yes of course there are 1r guys that miss and 4th round guys that hit but the ratio of success to failure is much higher in the 1r and drops w/ each succeeding round. There is no question your chances of success are higher in the 1r than 2r and so on. The empirical data bears it out.

In other words, this was stupid.

tk13
02-27-2013, 09:59 PM
We aren't playing the game where we can get a Kaepernick or a Russell Wilson or a Matt Ryan or a Ben Roethlisberger or a Aaron Rogers.

We're playing the game where we can get a Trent Green every 20 years, best case. And since we are dealling with people significantly into their careers, the window where they can be good is shorter.

Even when we hit, we're getting worse players for shorter periods of time with longer odds of hitting. It's idiotic.

I don't know where I disagreed with any of that. I'm just saying the depressing thing about this is there were no answers. This isn't Pioli trying to bring in his hand picked QB. They legitimately think this is the best answer. Given what we've seen the last few days, they do not think the answer was out there.

If history is any indication, we'll be average but not quite good enough with Alex Smith, Geno will go to the Raiders and be average, or even worse like a Clausen or Sanchez, and someone passed aside like Bray or Manuel will turn into a star. Then we'll repeat it all over again with another group of QBs.

cdcox
02-27-2013, 10:01 PM
I did the analysis a few years ago. The chance of getting a franchise QB is about the same if you a) draft a QB in round 1 or b) draft a QB with every pick in rounds 2-7. Both are better than trying to rehab a cast off.

tk13
02-27-2013, 10:03 PM
As a side note, I wonder when was the last time the Chiefs had a #1 overall pick on the roster.

cdcox
02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
I don't know where I disagreed with any of that. I'm just saying the depressing thing about this is there were no answers. This isn't ***** trying to bring in his hand picked QB. They legitimately think this is the best answer. Given what we've seen the last few days, they do not think the answer was out there.

If history is any indication, we'll be average but not quite good enough with Alex Smith, Geno will go to the Raiders and be average, or even worse like a Clausen or Sanchez, and someone passed aside like Bray or Manuel will turn into a star. Then we'll repeat it all over again with another group of QBs.

Geno Smith or Matt Barkley might be an answer. That's all the better any GM is going to get except for once or twice a decade. You have to take your shot and we have one we can take this year. If there is a 30% chance Geno or Barkley can be the guy, you pull that damn trigger every time.

Rain Man showed that more often than not the first QB taken turns out to be the best of the crop. So it's not the crap shoot people make it out to be.

But if we took a project at 34 and another project next year in round 1 or 2 and again the year after, I would wait for them to sort through them.

Frosty
02-27-2013, 10:07 PM
I did the analysis a few years ago. The chance of getting a franchise QB is about the same if you a) draft a QB in round 1 or b) draft a QB with every pick in rounds 2-7. Both are better than trying to rehab a cast off.

It seems like we took the worst possible route. Flynn is an unknown that sat behind a HOF'er and could have an upside. Foles has shown he can play and has an upside. Smith has played long enough to show he wasn't good enough for the team, they replaced him with a franchise QB and passed him off to us. Why I should be happy about that is beyond me. :shrug:

cdcox
02-27-2013, 10:08 PM
As a side note, I wonder when was the last time the Chiefs had a #1 overall pick on the roster.

John Matuzak, 1975, unless I missed someone.

Edit: Also Buck Buchanan's last year was 1975.

KCFaninSEA
02-27-2013, 10:09 PM
No dude. I mean yes of course there are 1r guys that miss and 4th round guys that hit but the ratio of success to failure is much higher in the 1r and drops w/ each succeeding round. There is no question your chances of success are higher in the 1r than 2r and so on. The empirical data bears it out.

In other words, this was stupid.

No doubt at all. Problem with this year was over reaching with 1.1 and missing, which IMO was more likely than not. Just bad luck that we get 1.1 this year. The QB position must be stocked and this years crop of draft talent is not likely to pan out to be very good. The whole problem with this years draft is simple. You miss by overreaching and you pass on other talent and look even worse when the whole world knows you reached to far. It is not about being scared, it is about NOT being stupid.

tk13
02-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Geno Smith or Matt Barkley might be an answer. That's all the better any GM is going to get except for once or twice a decade. You have to take your shot and we have one we can take this year. If there is a 30% chance Geno or Barkley can be the guy, you pull that damn trigger every time.

Rain Man showed that more often than not the first QB taken turns out to be the best of the crop. So it's not the crap shoot people make it out to be.

But if we took a project at 34 and another project next year in round 1 or 2 and again the year after, I would wait for them to sort through them.

Yeah, but I think everyone's looking at this backwards.

I don't think they are afraid to draft a QB. I could be 100% wrong, I concede, but we have quite a bit of evidence that Reid and Dorsey both have no issue being aggressive at the QB position. They legitimately think this draft class sucks.

Maybe that's not true and they're just bungling idiots, but we'll find out soon enough. I think they gave up way too much in this trade. But for now I do think they did this because they believe this isn't even a Sam Bradford-worthy QB class. Not because they're afraid of anything. Which to be fair, outside the vacuum we're all living in here... right now seems to be the prevailing opinion of most football people. I do wonder what they know that we don't. We'll find out soon enough.

warpaint*
02-27-2013, 10:14 PM
No doubt at all. Problem with this year was over reaching with 1.1 and missing, which IMO was more likely than not. Just bad luck that we get 1.1 was this year. The QB position must be stocked and this years crop of draft talent is not likely to pan out to be very good. The whole problem with this years draft is simple. You miss by overreaching and you pass on other talent and look even worse when the whole world knows you reached to far. It is not about being scared, it is about NOT being stupid.

I am not convinced that is true. I am not convinced it isn't true. I lean toward believing one of those guys will probably pan out. Regardless of which it is instead of going for it they overpaid for middling production. I would rather they take a shot w/ whomever they think is best of the bunch and swing for the fences. If it doesn't work out draft another one in 3 yrs or whatever. We wouldn't be any worse off and would have been in a situation w/ actual upside. The book is out on Alex Smith.

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2013, 10:18 PM

The problem was Reid wants to win now. Hunt wants to win now. Alex Smith will get us to 8-8. Its a short term look when the franchise needed to look at the long term. Its not about getting to average, its about trying to win a Super Bowl. Barkley or Geno would have been the right choice. Alex Smith is the get butts in the seat and get back to average move. Very short sighted and the wrong one.

JF08
02-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Long time Niner fan here. Pretty much disgusted with how the franchise has treated players over the past couple of years, Smith in particular. All that aside, the Chiefs are getting a great player. I understand the skepticism and doubt, and the desire to draft a young QB. Don't fall for the hype of these young, running QB's. It's a fad and will go away as all other fads do. Football in the NFL is won from the pocket, and the Chiefs just added a solid pocket passer. He's still young, has potential to grow, and will learn the offense in about 4 days.

Alex Smith is everything that is right about sports. Give the guy a chance, or don't. He doesn't care, he will play his heart out and win you over. Anyone that has the heart to go from the boos of the Eagles game in 2010, to the standing ovation that he received when he entered his last game as a 49er in 2012, deserves respect.

I have been a 49ers fan since I was kid. I have watched every Super Bowl win, and our first Super Bowl loss. I can honestly say that there is NO 49ers player that I have ever wanted to succeed more than Alex. I will watch every Chiefs game next season, and I will stick around this board to watch all of your attitudes change.

Go Chiefs.

Discuss Thrower
02-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Long time Niner fan here. Pretty much disgusted with how the franchise has treated players over the past couple of years, Smith in particular. All that aside, the Chiefs are getting a great player. I understand the skepticism and doubt, and the desire to draft a young QB. Don't fall for the hype of these young, running QB's. It's a fad and will go away as all other fads do. Football in the NFL is won from the pocket, and the Chiefs just added a solid pocket passer. He's still young, has potential to grow, and will learn the offense in about 4 days.

Alex Smith is everything that is right about sports. Give the guy a chance, or don't. He doesn't care, he will play his heart out and win you over. Anyone that has the heart to go from the boos of the Eagles game in 2010, to the standing ovation that he received when he entered his last game as a 49er in 2012, deserves respect.

I have been a 49ers fan since I was kid. I have watched every Super Bowl win, and our first Super Bowl loss. I can honestly say that there is NO 49ers player that I have ever wanted to succeed more than Alex. I will watch every Chiefs game next season, and I will stick around this board to watch all of your attitudes change.

Go Chiefs.

It's nothing personal against Alex.. Think of it as held over resentment from Steve and Elvis.

Frosty
02-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Don't fall for the hype of these young, running QB's. It's a fad and will go away as all other fads do.

You mean like your current starter?

Sorter

Go Chiefs.

Fuck your mother.

BigCatDaddy

Go Chiefs.

He's damn near 30! When will we grow when he's 40?

JF08
02-27-2013, 10:44 PM
It's nothing personal against Alex.. Think of it as held over resentment from Steve and Elvis.

I get it. I read through a few threads and I can see the bad apples in here. Most of this is overreaction, which all fans do. I can't wait to come in here after a nice start to the season, and solid QB play leading the charge.

cdcox
02-27-2013, 10:47 PM
So Alex D. Smith will average 240 yards passing per game with a TD/INT ratio above 2? Awesome.

warpaint*
02-27-2013, 10:48 PM
I get it. I read through a few threads and I can see the bad apples in here. Most of this is overreaction, which all fans do. I can't wait to come in here after a nice start to the season, and solid QB play leading the charge.

Solid QB play doesn't win Super Bowls. Top 10 QB play does. I don't disagree that he's solid. He's just not a game changer.

You can have him back and I'll take my draft picks. TIA.

JF08
02-27-2013, 10:48 PM
He's damn near 30! When will we grow when he's 40?

Look at his stats and rating every year, he's steadily improved. He was drafted very young and thrust into a terrible situation. Now that he's had steady coaching, you see the results. Who's to say he's hit a "ceiling?" That talk is nonsense. He's built a solid foundation of mechanics, play calling, and reading of defenses. It won't take him long to get used to the Chiefs weapons, because there are a lot of them. Add in Andy Reid and his play calling ability, and the offense will explode. Be patient, give it some time to all come together. The WCO takes a few years to fully develop, but you have a head start because of Smith and Reid's experience.

JF08
02-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Solid QB play doesn't win Super Bowls. Top 10 QB play does. I don't disagree that he's solid. He's just not a game changer.

You can have him back and I'll take my draft picks. TIA.

Solid QB play absolutely wins Super Bowls. Go back and look at Super Bowl winners of the past. Troy Aikman ring a bell? He wasn't lighting the world on fire with crazy stats. Don't let fantasy football ruin your football IQ.

Alex Smith will probably never be a fantasy football type QB. But that doesn't mean he can't win it all. The guy was two fumbles away from getting there two years ago. In his first year with a good coach. How can you say with any certainty that he can't win a Super Bowl?

cdcox
02-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Solid QB play absolutely wins Super Bowls. Go back and look at Super Bowl winners of the past. Troy Aikman ring a bell? He wasn't lighting the world on fire with crazy stats. Don't let fantasy football ruin your football IQ.

Alex Smith will probably never be a fantasy football type QB. But that doesn't mean he can't win it all. The guy was two fumbles away from getting there two years ago. In his first year with a good coach. How can you say with any certainty that he can't win a Super Bowl?

You are seriously not comparing Troy Aikman to Alex D. Smith?

Discuss Thrower
02-27-2013, 10:57 PM

Who have won the last 13 and what do all but 2 winners have in common?

warpaint*
02-27-2013, 10:59 PM

LOL. I thought you were serious there for a second.

JF08
02-27-2013, 11:00 PM

Go check their career stats. Very similar. Heck, Smith is even similar to Brees when he was in San Diego. Everyone said his arm was weak too. It's all about the system, game planning, and lack of turnovers.

Look I'm not saying Smith IS Aikman, Brees, etc. I'm saying he has a similar skill set. That is what the Chiefs just paid for.

lostcause
02-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Alex Smith is a monster in the Sandbox league. I'm excited about this trade!

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2013, 11:02 PM
You mean like your current starter?

Its even more funny that neither one of the rookie quarterbacks we are looking at are not running quarterbacks at all.

lostcause
02-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Go check their career stats. Very similar. Heck, Smith is even similar to Brees when he was in San Diego. Everyone said his arm was weak too. It's all about the system, game planning, and lack of turnovers.

Look I'm not saying Smith IS Aikman, Brees, etc. I'm saying he has a similar skill set. That is what the Chiefs just paid for.

Alex Smith is an Urban Meyer apparition. His qbs can't play in the nfl.

KCFaninSEA
02-27-2013, 11:05 PM

No I think he is saying you need a good QB for 16 games and the QB peak/ have 3-4 great games in a row to be a winner. Flacco did it. E. Manning did it twice. Big Ben did it twice. Not great seasons until they hit the playoffs. Get in the dance, and dance. Hopefully, we get chances to dance and the team has one great stretch.

DaWolf
02-27-2013, 11:07 PM
For what we paid, Smith better be Rich Gannon and Reid better be Jon Gruden...

cdcox
02-27-2013, 11:12 PM
No I think he is saying you need a good QB for 16 games and the QB peak/ have 3-4 great games in a row to be a winner. Flacco did it. E. Manning did it twice. Big Ben did it twice. Not great seasons until they hit the playoffs. Get in the dance, and dance. Hopefully, we get chances to dance and the team has one great stretch.

You think its a coincidence that some players do it multiple times and some never do? Getting that 3-4 consecutive great games doesn't just happen by chance. What evidence do we have that Smith is that kind of guy that will put a team on his back when the chips are down?

tk13
02-27-2013, 11:16 PM
To be fair, Smith very much did that when he outdueled Brees in the playoffs. That game was over twice and he brought them back. But he didn't follow it up with another great performance.

JF08
02-27-2013, 11:21 PM

This.

cdcox
02-27-2013, 11:25 PM

The other thing is that this model is based on great defense, run the ball well and be very efficient in the passing game. Same system as SF is using.

Not Andy Reid's system at all. Pass, pass, pass. Smith will have to put up fantasy-type numbers for the Chiefs to be successful in Reid's offense.

easymobee
02-28-2013, 12:09 AM
I think a second this yr (34-high) and a second next year ( as given up for Smith ). Would have got them back into the 1st round this yr. Then maybe have the #1 overall and the number 16-25 or so overall (depending on who's selling )I think that wouldve been a better use of those 2nds.

Reaper16
02-28-2013, 12:10 AM
To be fair, Smith very much did that when he outdueled Brees in the playoffs. That game was over twice and he brought them back. But he didn't follow it up with another great performance.

Not so much "outdueled" as "Vernon Davis went into beast mode."

tk13
02-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Not so much "outdueled" as "Vernon Davis went into beast mode."

This is ChiefsPlanet, where everyone makes excuses for winning. Smith had a great run for a TD, and I don't even begin to understand why he should be criticized for throwing to the hot hand to win the game. Nobody said he was Joe Montana out there, but it was certainly a solid playoff performance.

WildTurkey
02-28-2013, 12:26 AM
This is ChiefsPlanet, where everyone makes excuses for winning. Smith had a great run for a TD, and I don't even begin to understand why he should be criticized for throwing to the hot hand to win the game. Nobody said he was Joe Montana out there, but it was certainly a solid playoff performance.

You don't have to like him or be crazy about the move (I certainly am NOT) but he played a hell of a game and at least deserves some credit for it.

tk13
02-28-2013, 12:28 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jloashD3Flg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NJChiefsFan
02-28-2013, 12:28 AM
You don't have to like him or be crazy about the move (I certainly am NOT) but he played a hell of a game and at least deserves some credit for it.

I always point out that Smith did more in that game than I thought he could. But when projecting out his abilities in the future noting that it happened at home against a terrible defense does matter. It doesn't take away what he did, but you need to at least know that was a factor. Not to mention that the following week his 1-13 3rd down performance helped keep the 9ers from winning that game. It was his skills of not making mistakes but also not making plays that kept the Giants in that game.

tk13
02-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Yeah, the following week was not pretty.

But on the flipside, Russell Wilson torched a Greg Robinson-esque secondary in the playoffs for his only 300 yard game of the year, and now everyone thinks he's a God. So it works both ways. People decide they like or don't like a guy and from that point forward they support whatever enhances their argument.

KCDC
02-28-2013, 12:32 AM
The Chiefs will cut Dorsey & Cassell, restructure Jackson and probably a couple other players contracts, sign Bowe and Albert, use the #1 on a true DE, sign a CB,ML and receiver and then try to get a safety, QB & another TE in the draft. While we don't know the exact details of the trade, I do think they could have got AS cheaper but to claim this is the end of the world is absurd. This team could be quite good within 1 full season.

This team cannot be "good" with A. Smith as QB. This team can only be good with a franchise QB. This team can only be fun to watch with a franchise QB. We are tired of watching QBs who are inaccurate on any pass thrown for more than 10 yards. We are tired of seeing defenses stack the box to take away the short routes. We are tired of watching game manager QBs take sacks and throw away balls because the short routes are not there.

farmerchief
02-28-2013, 07:16 AM
I don't see why everybody is jumping the gun on this trade? We don't know "exactly" what is involved, rumored to be two seconds, but nobody has confirmed that. Jay Glazer reports 2nd in 2013 and a conditional mid round pick in 2014, we won't know exactly until March. I get the feeling there is a "swap' of picks somewhere along the line. I'm certainly not going to "bail" on the Chiefs, as a fan, at this point and time.You have to ask yourself, are we better off now, than we were last year at this time? I say,YES!

ceebz
02-28-2013, 07:30 AM
What I don't think some people get about this move is that Smith is not going to be a stopgap vet.

When you commit the 34th pick in the draft and a 3rd or 2nd round choice in the 2014 draft, you're making a commitment to that QB, and he is going to be the unquestioned starter for the next 2-3 seasons.

Alex Smith is our golden goose, he's the guy slated with the job of getting the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. How that thought doesn't make every Chief fan want to revolt, puzzles the **** out of me.

oldandslow
02-28-2013, 07:56 AM
This team cannot be "good" with A. Smith as QB. This team can only be good with a franchise QB. This team can only be fun to watch with a franchise QB. We are tired of watching QBs who are inaccurate on any pass thrown for more than 10 yards. We are tired of seeing defenses stack the box to take away the short routes. We are tired of watching game manager QBs take sacks and throw away balls because the short routes are not there.

Were the 49er's not "good" with A Smith at QB?

ceebz
02-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Were the 49er's not "good" with A Smith at QB?

They were good, because they protected the one liability on the team: Alex Smith.

The Niners never asked Smith to win games for them. He'll need to in KC, and he'll fail miserably, just like his predecessor.

BigCatDaddy
02-28-2013, 08:16 AM
They were good, because they protected the one liability on the team: Alex Smith.

The Niners never asked Smith to win games for them. He'll need to in KC, and he'll fail miserably, just like his predecessor.

This is such a simple concept that people fail to grasp for some reason.

I had some guy say "Well that darn Alex Smith only lead his team to the AFC title game" so I explained to him that darn Trent Dilfer won a superbowl so Dilfer>Alex Smith.

No response LMAO

Frosty
02-28-2013, 08:56 AM
What I don't think some people get about this move is that Smith is not going to be a stopgap vet.

When you commit the 34th pick in the draft and a 3rd or 2nd round choice in the 2014 draft, you're making a commitment to that QB, and he is going to be the unquestioned starter for the next 2-3 seasons.

Alex Smith is our golden goose, he's the guy slated with the job of getting the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. How that thought doesn't make every Chief fan want to revolt, puzzles the **** out of me.

The bottom line to me is that if Alex Smith wasn't good enough for a team actively trying to win the Superbowl then he isn't good enough for us.

Frosty
02-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Its even more funny that neither one of the rookie quarterbacks we are looking at are not running quarterbacks at all.

Well, Geno Smith is black so he MUST be a running QB, right?

:rolleyes:

KCFaninSEA
02-28-2013, 08:58 AM

The facts are that Alex's game over the last 2 seasons improved significantly. The FO obviously feels, since this happened so close after the combine workouts ended, there were no better options as many so called experts have stated. With a good running game and a good defense can he lead this team to the playoffs and make a run, only time will tell but it is obvious the QB's coming out this year are not considered by the Chiefs to be as good or better than AS. Only time will tell.

KCFaninSEA
02-28-2013, 09:02 AM
The bottom line to me is that if Alex Smith wasn't good enough for a team actively trying to win the Superbowl then he isn't good enough for us.

Funny you should mention that. I watch the 9ers quite a bit and I actually thought, after AS got benched, that the 9ers were a better team with him rather than Kaepernick.

Frosty
02-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Funny you should mention that. I watch the 9ers quite a bit and I actually thought, after AS got benched, that the 9ers were a better team with him rather than Kaepernick.

At first they were because Kaep had some growing pains. Kaep was very good in the playoffs, though.

AdumbGuy
02-28-2013, 09:21 AM
I don't see why everybody is jumping the gun on this trade? We don't know "exactly" what is involved, rumored to be two seconds, but nobody has confirmed that. Jay Glazer reports 2nd in 2013 and a conditional mid round pick in 2014, we won't know exactly until March. I get the feeling there is a "swap' of picks somewhere along the line. I'm certainly not going to "bail" on the Chiefs, as a fan, at this point and time.You have to ask yourself, are we better off now, than we were last year at this time? I say,YES!

With Alex Smith, we're just dooming ourselves to mediocrity. Mediocrity, in the current NFL is actually worse than outright Casselulance.

Mediocrity, that's Alex Smith's celing. 8-8. And not even an exciting, hope filled, 8-8, a boring as shit, "let's not make a mistake now, guys" type of 8-8. So, no. I would say if the trade goes through, we are not better off now.

Also, I don't care what we gave up for him, because it's entirely possible nobody other than the idiot cardinals wanted him.

Fuck it, just bring in Tebow and Jamarcus Russell. That way we can be 3 times as gooder as last year.

Rausch
02-28-2013, 09:22 AM

Yup...

Mr. Laz
02-28-2013, 09:24 AM
I really don't understand it, Reid and Alex Smith don't even fit.

Reid is a pass first type guy ... use the pass to setup the run

Smith is a run,run,play-action-pass type QB who can't be ask to carry a team

makes no sense

Rausch
02-28-2013, 09:26 AM

makes no sense

Exactly.

He's not exceptionally mobile, he's not one of the stronger armed QB's, and he's not very accurate or possessing a high completion percentage.

Makes no fucking sense at all...

GloryDayz
02-28-2013, 12:10 PM
This was the testing effort... It's a turd!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgHOZ7fAoXRgesJic9Co_TdcEcSNlMXh5geZnAAv6UCoEzqVk8MA

Lightrise
02-28-2013, 12:37 PM
I like the trade. In my view this translates to 4-2 within the division with no other changes. I do not see better than 2-4 with any of the draft options. It's all about the division in my view and not squandering an opportunity to maximize some of the talent we have already. To remain competitive I agree we need another QB, and I would like to see us take Bray later. Now the #1 pick to take a tackle bothers me. I would rather take the best WR or CB and it would be great if we can slip down a couple for that. Sign Bowe, franchise Albert and address the tackle next year or beyond. You act to win now in this league not 3 years later. That is why Bray makes sense - he'll be ready when we need him. Smith is far better than Cassel, especially footwork. The impact of the rush will not be as noticeable. We shall see. We are all in agreement on one thing, we could care less what each other thinks, and republicans suck.

BigCatDaddy
02-28-2013, 12:41 PM
I like the trade. In my view this translates to 4-2 within the division with no other changes. I do not see better than 2-4 with any of the draft options. It's all about the division in my view and not squandering an opportunity to maximize some of the talent we have already. To remain competitive I agree we need another QB, and I would like to see us take Bray later. Now the #1 pick to take a tackle bothers me. I would rather take the best WR or CB and it would be great if we can slip down a couple for that. Sign Bowe, franchise Albert and address the tackle next year or beyond. You act to win now in this league not 3 years later. That is why Bray makes sense - he'll be ready when we need him. Smith is far better than Cassel, especially footwork. The impact of the rush will not be as noticeable. We shall see. We are all in agreement on one thing, we could care less what each other thinks, and republicans suck.

Welcome to ignore, bitch.

Boom
02-28-2013, 12:51 PM

makes no sense

Yeah, that's what has me scratching my head with this. The only thing I can think is maybe Reid is looking at his stint in KC as a new slate and is going to try more of a traditional WCO than his pass-first WCO and wants to start with a safe game managing QB while grooming someone else he has his eyes on. If that'll the case you guys could have done a lot worse than Alex Smith.

ceebz
02-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Holy fucking jesus, how many times does this have to be reiterated:

You don't spend two fucking second round picks on a stopgap veteran to keep the ball warm while you groom his replacement. Alex Smith is QB#1 for the foreseeable future. The best we can hope for is some broke dick like Barkley falling to the 4th round and Reid decides to pull the trigger. Reid is going to live or die with Smith. The only way Reid changes his mind is if Smith is a complete disaster from week one.

Molitoth
02-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Every dog has it's day... and Alex Smith had a few in his entire career.
Elite QB's have good days nearly every week.

teedubya
03-01-2013, 03:23 PM

The 34th pick pisses me off, as well. 3rd round would be fine... IMO.

Dixie Land
03-01-2013, 05:19 PM

makes no sense

No sense at all....Smith is stinky...goodness.....I mean really??? WTF is the Front Office and Reid doing??// This is rigged...another 49er retread....something is amuck....donkeys

Dixie Land
03-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Holy ****ing jesus, how many times does this have to be reiterated:

You don't spend two ****ing second round picks on a stopgap veteran to keep the ball warm while you groom his replacement. Alex Smith is QB#1 for the foreseeable future. The best we can hope for is some broke dick like Barkley falling to the 4th round and Reid decides to pull the trigger. Reid is going to live or die with Smith. The only way Reid changes his mind is if Smith is a complete disaster from week one.

Sadly there is nobody to groom...:Lin: