PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Big, Happy Thread of Luke Joeckel

Direckshun
02-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Well here we are.

In the coming draft, we can assume one thing: if Branden Albert is not resigned by draft time, the Chiefs will draft a left tackle with their first pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, whether they trade down or not. It will be such a gigantic hole that it will have to be filled with our 1st rounder, be that pick 1.1 or 1.7 or whatever.

So let's make ourselves familiar with Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, and Lane Johnson, all three of them candidates to be that pick. That way, we can have more informed drawn out conversations between all the Joeckel and Johnson backers this draft season! What joy!

First up, of course, is Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel.

The first thing to learn, a la Luke Kuechly from last year, is how to pronounce his name.

It looks like "joke-l," and I'm sure that's how a lot of radio personalities and uninformed web scrollers who haven't watched him play pronounce it, but that's wrong. His name is actually pronounced like "chuckle" if you replace the "ch-" with a "j-". Juckle.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GvNBXbt-KaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's a handful of game-long videos like this one on YouTube, so feel free to watch if you're interested in embedding yourself into All Things Joeckel.

A few things you'll notice from the game tape once you do watch him:

1. He's incredibly boring to watch. But this is not a bad thing, necessarily. Tackle is not a fun position to watch if they're really good at it. There's no heroic last-second rescues of Manziel, and as is frequently the case with the best left tackles, there's never really any pancakes.

2. He is close to unbeatable around the edge. He's as tough to beat around the edge as anybody. His kickslide is a flawless wonder and this allows him to take the speed rush totally away. His lateral movement makes him very difficult to spin on as well. His mirror ability is perhaps the best in the draft class -- I'm not sure anybody's is better.

3. The only pressure he gives up, if ever, is when the QB holds the ball and the DE tries to beat him inside. That's the DE's only hope, is to get him so oriented to defending the edge that you can beat him inside. However, that hardly ever works -- but hardly is better than never if you're a DE.

4. Once he gets his hands on you, it's over. He locks up defensive lineman. To the point where the defensive lineman may as well sit this play out.

5. It's hard to tell how he does in space. The Aggies never pull him out in this game, and rarely pulled him out in other games. We'll get back to that in a moment.

6. I would not claim he plays soft -- he's too aggressive in his lock-ups for me to say that's the case. But he doesn't play with the reckless abandon of somebody like Brian Waters, or even Branden Albert. He lacks a nasty side and that's clearly evident in the run game.

7. In fact, this is the area we would be losing the most in a shift from Albert to Joeckel -- his runblocking will be subpar for at least a little while, and it may yet remain a weakness in his game for years to come. (Whereas Albert is perhaps the best runblocking LT in the NFL.)

8. He's flawless in recognizing blitz schemes, blocking assignments, and stunts. He works with his teammates extremely well. He is truly a technician at the position and a student of the game. Even on the plays where he gets driven, he's exercising excellent leverage. He just needs to get stronger.

9. Joeckel finishes his blocks to the whistle, everytime. This is something that's all too rare in the NFL. I find it very endearing -- it wears DL down over the course of a game and it makes their jobs harder. I don't understand why more players don't do this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xmc_bZebGew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As for his measureables:

Joeckel is leaving for the NFL as a junior. In 2012, he allowed 10 pressures, including two sacks, total. It should be noted, as you can tell from the YouTube above, that teams rarely rushed his side of the field aggressively.

He's 6'6", 306 lbs. His arms are fairly long, at 34+". At the Combine, he benched 27 reps, which is merely not bad. He will need some time in an NFL strength and conditioning program. He comes across as well spoken (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3lgilLpLMM), though he doesn't seem to have that locker room leading presence.

The key problem for Joeckel as he would have to potentially fit into Kansas City's zone-blocking system, is that it doesn't seem like he'd be a terrific fit, though he's talented enough to probably fit in. He ran a 5.3 40-yard dash, which doesn't boast well for his speed. What's even worse is the 10-yard split of 1.81 seconds, which is among the bottom half of the OL at the Combine. It's not immediately clear how effective Joeckel would be in space -- though it should be noted he looked pretty fluid to me personally in the drills, though he was by no means a position leader at them. Joeckel is a football player's football player, but he is not a freakish athlete like Lane Johnson.

Luke Joeckel won college football's Outland Award last year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H5LgmbF6IKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting factoid: in 2010, he helped the Aggies rack up a 100-yard rusher in nine games -- six of those nine games were by current Chief RB Cyrus Gray.

DaKCMan AP
02-28-2013, 08:51 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNEmL0LElZ2Ou8Ic_XvO7pbYA3bZttR4z7mQsrGt-E3Ph-DxFv

BigMeatballDave
02-28-2013, 08:51 AM
KILL IT WITH FIRE

Deberg_1990
02-28-2013, 08:56 AM
The Chiefs will finally have their "Elite" Left Tackle!!!

duncan_idaho
02-28-2013, 08:56 AM
So Joeckel allowed more sacks as a collegian than Albert did as a pro (in a similar number of games played), he has below-average burst, and he's going to be worse as a run blocker than Albert?

Oh, yeah. This is TOTALLY going to work out well.

In58men
02-28-2013, 08:58 AM
He's the reason we'll go to the Super Bowl.

HemiEd
02-28-2013, 08:59 AM
So Joeckel allowed more sacks as a collegian than Albert did as a pro (in a similar number of games played), he has below-average burst, and he's going to be worse as a run blocker than Albert?

Hard not to get fired up about this.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-28-2013, 09:06 AM
The Only reason to draft Joekel is because we haven't resigned Albert. The ONLY reason to do this is to save money. I don't see this as being in the organizations best interest. What would be best is to trade out. Now we have 6,7,8,9 that COULD all use a QB. ONE of those teams may have a hardon for Geno and want to make sure Oakland doesn't take him.

Let's pull back to a 6-9 position and pick up the 6-9 position in the 2nd and get a 1st in next years draft. That will change everything wrong with Alex Smith being our QB.

AndChiefs
02-28-2013, 09:09 AM

To be fair...he had to protect a long time with Manziel running around forever back there.

AdumbGuy
02-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Sold. Draft him, sign him, then we can move him to guard. We'll be picking in the 10-15 range for years to come.

Goddamnit, chiefs. Just goddamnit.

duncan_idaho
02-28-2013, 09:12 AM
The Only reason to draft Joekel is because we haven't resigned Albert. The ONLY reason to do this is to save money. I don't see this as being in the organizations best interest. What would be best is to trade out. Now we have 6,7,8,9 that COULD all use a QB. ONE of those teams may have a hardon for Geno and want to make sure Oakland doesn't take him.

Let's pull back to a 6-9 position and pick up the 6-9 position in the 2nd and get a 1st in next years draft. That will change everything wrong with Alex Smith being our QB.

That's the Obi-Wan Kenobi (read: Only Hope) in this.

If they're not going to take Geno at No. 1 (which is blatantly obvious), then a trade down is the best bet. Unfortunately, I have a hard time seeing teams wanting to trade up to No. 1. Unless the Chiefs can convince people they're going to take Geno Smith at No. 1 still, why would a team need to trade into No. 1?

It would cost less to trade into No. 2, and that still puts you ahead of the Raiders (with either one of the 3 nearly identically graded LTs off the board or one of the many nearly identically graded DTs off the board).

DaKCMan AP
02-28-2013, 09:13 AM
That's the Obi-Wan Kenobi (read: Only Hope) in this.

If they're not going to take Geno at No. 1 (which is blatantly obvious), then a trade down is the best bet. Unfortunately, I have a hard time seeing teams wanting to trade up to No. 1. Unless the Chiefs can convince people they're going to take Geno Smith at No. 1 still, why would a team need to trade into No. 1?

It would cost less to trade into No. 2, and that still puts you ahead of the Raiders (with either one of the 3 nearly identically graded LTs off the board or one of the many nearly identically graded DTs off the board).

Hopefully more than 1 team wants Geno. Then jumping to #2 can be trumped by trading for #1.

duncan_idaho
02-28-2013, 09:14 AM
To be fair...he had to protect a long time with Manziel running around forever back there.

Yup, having a super-mobile QB who ran for 1400 yards and averaged 7 YPA, who has supernatural escapability, really hurt him, didn't it?

chiefscafan
02-28-2013, 09:17 AM
I say no he has bust written all over him to me. Can't handle speed rushers too well. Wasn't even the best tackle on his team. I think Manzel made him a lot better than he actually is.

I would draft Eric fisher if we go that route. I still think we should resign Albert. But If we go Fisher route his tall, big, nasty and reminds me a lot of joe staley of the 49ers. Still think we should trade down and acquire more picks.

If we keep the pick I go for Millner of Bama make this D one of the best in the league and hope it makes up for our ok qb play.

Rausch
02-28-2013, 09:18 AM
If we keep the pick I go for Millner of Bama make this D one of the best in the league and hope it makes up for our ok qb play.

This.

If we stay put and don't trade down this makes the most sense...

duncan_idaho
02-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Hopefully more than 1 team wants Geno. Then jumping to #2 can be trumped by trading for #1.

Sums up what it really means to be a Chiefs fan, doesn't it?

At this point, we're hoping 1-2 teams are smart enough to see past the b.s., swim against the tide, and value Geno Smith No. 1. We're hoping for a team to be smarter than the Chiefs, smart enough to give up a haul to take the QB the Chiefs could have taken for free.

Of course, being smarter than the Chiefs is kind of like being smarter than the rabbits at your local pet store...

AndChiefs
02-28-2013, 09:21 AM
I say no he has bust written all over him to me. Can't handle speed rushers too well. Wasn't even the best tackle on his team. I think Manzel made him a lot better than he actually is.

I would draft Eric fisher if we go that route. I still think we should resign Albert. But If we go Fisher route his tall, big, nasty and reminds me a lot of joe staley of the 49ers. Still think we should trade down and acquire more picks.

He was well regarded two years ago with Tannehill as well. Adapting to the completely different style of play associated with Manziel is difficult for any T. I've watched most of his games since I live in Houston. He's a very good tackle. IF we have to draft a tackle I have no problem with Joeckel.

That being said, my #1 choice is/was Geno Smith. My #2 is Milliner. Joeckel would be 3 provided we don't keep Albert.

DaKCMan AP
02-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Albert + Sharrif Floyd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Joeckel

AndChiefs
02-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Yup, having a super-mobile QB who ran for 1400 yards and averaged 7 YPA, who has supernatural escapability, really hurt him, didn't it?

It's a lot different protecting for 10 seconds as opposed to three...even with a super mobile QB.

That entire offensive line unit at A&M was very good. I've never seen such perfect pockets for as long a time as at I saw during the season for Manziel.

Omaha
02-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Even if he's a marginal upgrade over Albert, that move only marginally upgrades the team. I want to see them go for an outstanding talent at a weaker position!!!

JimBaker48.8
02-28-2013, 10:19 AM
From what I saw of the Senior Bowl practices where they have several sessions of one-on-one drills and what game film I've seen, I tend to favor Fischer as the choice at LT over Joeckel. However, given that the Aggie went against Big 12 and then SEC competition including 'Bama & LSU in his last year, it would seem he's definitely less risky than the Mid-American conference guy ?

keg in kc
02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
I don't think I've ever been so deflated heading into a draft. We have the number one pick and I have zero interest.

Jesus this franchise sucks.

DaKCMan AP
02-28-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't think I've ever been so deflated heading into a draft. We have the number one pick and I have zero interest.

This.

It was exciting for about 2 months before our hopes were crushed.

JimBaker48.8
02-28-2013, 11:10 AM

It's just a bad break for the Chiefs, just think how excited you'd be if this years draft had last years players ? OK, that was silly of me, but the dearth of talent at the top of this Draft (if there is a "top" talent-wise in this Draft ?), is disappointing when your team has the top pick (or even a top-5 pick).
On the bright side, just think how frustrating we'd be if we were still saddled with the old rookie-comp structure which was so very progressive. In other words, its fortunate the Chiefs don't have to pony up 50 or 60 million for a very good, but maybe not outstanding college football player.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-28-2013, 11:12 AM
cant WAIT to buy his "no. One"-pick jersey and put it next to my Tyson Jackson! Said no one evar.
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
hopefully they move Albert to guard where he belongs.

ROFL

ReynardMuldrake
02-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Say hello to your newest Chief: Lucas, the slack-jawed Joeckel.