PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: come here to be cheered up.

Direckshun
03-03-2013, 11:22 PM
It sure sucks that our front office has no interest in Geno Smith.

It sure sucks that we potentially traded away two 2nd rounders for Alex Smith.

It sucks that we're probably going to have to tag Bowe.

And it sucks that we're going to have to let Branden Albert go.

But I've got something to cheer you up, at least a little bit:

1. The Chiefs are probably going to land Sean Smith. I know there's some hate already brewing on this board for Smith, but he is a tall, fast, solid man corner who can serve well as a #2 on this defense. Arenas will be back in his old slot as our nickel.

2. If you have to lose your stud left tackle, this is the year to do it. We've got two really great prospects that are worthy of a Top Three pick in Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel. They're essentially the same player, both are very polished. Fisher is quicker and better at runblocking, Joeckel mirrors better and is battle tested.

3. Our worst holes at DE and ILB can probably be found in the draft. All kinds of guys can fill these two roster spots. William Gholston is a 280 lbs athlete who can lock down the position for a decade once this staff figures out how to get him to fulfill his potential -- he's a third round pick. Kevin Reddick is a really good linebacker with a terrible performance at the Combine that should drop him down to the 4th round or so. He'll do fine on the first two downs in the Sam backer position.

4. So can decent depth at WR. The depth at WR is fantastic this year, especially if you're looking for a one-dimensional speed threat. You could probably drop a third for Marquise Goodwin this year.

So this is what you're looking like:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=148&pictureid=1315

How'm I doing? Feel better?

Sorter
03-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Having the 34th pick would have been awesome for this draft IMO.

:(

RealSNR
03-03-2013, 11:25 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30377181.jpg

Bewbies
03-03-2013, 11:26 PM
The only problem is standing next to Jamal Charles. LMAO

KurtCobain
03-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Plus Alex Smith is going to be a BEAST. And Charles.

I agree the wide receiver depth is insane in the draft this year.

Direckshun
03-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Having the 34th pick would have been awesome for this draft IMO.

:(

C'mon. We've got a solid starting lineup, and decent depth at most positions.

Direckshun
03-03-2013, 11:30 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30377181.jpg

I want you to smile. Making you smile would make my day.

Name your price.

Direckshun
03-03-2013, 11:30 PM
The only problem is standing next to Jamal Charles. LMAO

LMAO

Now, now. Not necessarily! If he plays this year like he played last year prior to injury, we have playoff potential.

This team is AT LEAST AS GOOD AS the 2010 team.

RealSNR
03-03-2013, 11:34 PM
I want you to smile. Making you smile would make my day.

Name your price.

Oh, I think you know my price. You're just afraid to mention it because the last time you did it, you didn't leave the hospital for a week.

cdcox
03-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Joeckel for Albert is like we got stripped of 1.1. It is just the same as if we took a QB that busted. Not one iota difference.

Your thread sucks.

RealSNR
03-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Joeckel for Albert is like we got stripped of 1.1. It is just the same as if we took a QB that busted. Not one iota difference.

Your thread sucks.

That's not it at all! Making that move is like trading it for a few million dollars of cap space and a player that might be better/healthier than Albert, but also could be Jason Smith with Jake Long injuries.

Bewbies
03-03-2013, 11:40 PM
LMAO

Now, now. Not necessarily! If he plays this year like he played last year prior to injury, we have playoff potential.

This team is AT LEAST AS GOOD AS the 2010 team.

I think we'd be wild card loss good. YES!! ROFL

As much as I hate giving up the picks, I really like the trade if we're in love with a QB in the draft too. It'd be nice to have the option to give our guy a month or two to get ready. Or have an option if he gets hurt.

But we both know that's not happening...

RealSNR
03-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Honestly, Direckshun, I'm just happy to see you posting in the regular lounge a lot. I and many others missed your football posts when you became dejected. I don't know if you're still dejected or not, but whatever you are it's good to have you back.

cdcox
03-03-2013, 11:43 PM
If trading for Smith was like running your face through a cheese grater, using 1.1 to do a Joeckel-Albert do-si-do is like getting hit in the groin with a ball peen hammer while sitting on an anvil.

KCDC
03-03-2013, 11:46 PM
If they resign Bowe, Colquit and Albert, I'll begin to cheer up. If they use 1.1 to trade down with ARIZ or BUF to pick up a second and then draft G. Smith/Wilson/or maybe even Barkley, I will cheer up more.

Sadly, there is no encouraging sign of any of this yet.

cdcox
03-03-2013, 11:47 PM
If they dump Albert for Joeckel, the only way I will give them credit for that deal is if Albert turns out to be such damaged goods that he is never an effective LT in the NFL again.

Direckshun
03-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Oh, I think you know my price. You're just afraid to mention it because the last time you did it, you didn't leave the hospital for a week.

It's an AIDS tree, isn't it.

Fucking AIDS tree.

Bewbies
03-03-2013, 11:50 PM
If they dump Albert for Joeckel, the only way I will give them credit for that deal is if Albert turns out to be such damaged goods that he is never an effective LT in the NFL again.

If all the QB's in the draft bust, or Alex Smith pulls a Drew Brees, and Albert is never effective again...

So they're either GENIOUS, or retarded. And that's a big hill to climb to be labeled genious.

HolyHat
03-03-2013, 11:52 PM
What's the status on Hudson? Haven't heard much.

Direckshun
03-03-2013, 11:53 PM
The fact that multiple teams were balls deep in the Alex Smith bidding war should tell you everything you need to know.

The Raiders may be high on Geno, but the last time their opinion of a good QB matched the rest of the league's they were scoring a Kansas City castoff at the turn of the century.

cdcox
03-03-2013, 11:54 PM
If all the QB's in the draft bust, or Alex Smith pulls a Drew Brees, and Albert is never effective again...

So they're either GENIOUS, or retarded. And that's a big hill to climb to be labeled genious.

Alex Smith will never ever be Drew Brees.

RealSNR
03-03-2013, 11:56 PM
One of the 49er guys mentioned Rich Gannon as the example of what Smith could/should be.

He has a good point. Up until his first year with the Raiders, the most TDs Gannon had thrown in a season was 16. He also had never broken the 3000 yards in a season barrier.

I guess if Smith turns out to be Raiders Gannon for us, there ARE worse things that could happen.

RunKC
03-03-2013, 11:57 PM
We also essentially have three 3rd round picks in a deep draft. That's a plus. Can fix three holes with good players.

HolyHat
03-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Alex Smith will never ever be Drew Brees.

Mole! (Birth mark)

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:00 AM
One of the 49er guys mentioned Rich Gannon as the example of what Smith could/should be.

He has a good point. Up until his first year with the Raiders, the most TDs Gannon had thrown in a season was 16. He also had never broken the 3000 yards in a season barrier.

I guess if Smith turns out to be Raiders Gannon for us, there ARE worse things that could happen.

That's the absolute ceiling we're shooting for, I guess.

I have... pretty much no idea how Gannon's game was prior to the transition. None.

I've always loved Chiefs football, but I wasn't balls deep in football until Vermeil's final year. Thus, my joining this forum in 2006.

cdcox
03-04-2013, 12:01 AM

That is a reasonable top end for Alex Smith.

bricks
03-04-2013, 12:01 AM

A Gannon-like scenario is what makes me feel optimistic about this move.

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Somebody talk to me about Gannon.

Give me the lay of the land on how he came about. What his game was. Strengths of his, etc.

KurtCobain
03-04-2013, 12:02 AM
A Gannon-like scenario is why the chiefs made the move in the first place.

cdcox
03-04-2013, 12:05 AM
That's the absolute ceiling we're shooting for, I guess.

I have... pretty much no idea how Gannon's game was prior to the transition. None.

I've always loved Chiefs football, but I wasn't balls deep in football until Vermeil's final year. Thus, my joining this forum in 2006.

Oakland was the unique situation in which Gannon could succeed.

Chuckie ran a dink and dunk where Gannon's noodle didn't matter. They ran the receivers just deep enough to give Gannon space to run if the need arose. Two HOFer WR's didn't hurt. Take away the offense, Gannon's running, or Rice/Brown and the whole thing collapses like a house of cards. The cover 2 has taken a lot of the sting out of the West Coast offense since those days.

Bewbies
The fact that multiple teams were balls deep in the Alex Smith bidding war should tell you everything you need to know.

The Raiders may be high on Geno, but the last time their opinion of a good QB matched the rest of the league's they were scoring a Kansas City castoff at the turn of the century.

Tampa and Denver were all over Cassel too. ROFL

tk13
If you truly want to be optimistic, you should note that our current head coach dragged an over the hill Jeff Garcia and a guy who hadn't started in 4 years because he was in prison into the playoffs, and got them to perform about as well as they ever have.

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:08 AM

Chuckie ran a dink and dunk where Gannon's noodle didn't matter. They ran the receivers just deep enough to give Gannon space to run if the need arose. Two HOFer WR's didn't hurt. Take away the offense, Gannon's running, or Rice/Brown and the whole thing collapses like a house of cards. The cover 2 has taken a lot of the sting out of the West Coast offense since those days.

Is it not true that a running back of Charles' ability is not the perfect antidote to the Cover 2?

cdcox
03-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Andy Reid is an amazing chef. He can make rotted meat taste a whole lot better than you'd expect!

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Well I think we can say this about Reid -- he just wants hard workers, not choir boys a la Pioli.

cdcox
03-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Is it not true that a running back of Charles' ability is not the perfect antidote to the Cover 2?

Reid runs a shit ton of shotgun. That isn't going to help Charles help Smith. Maybe Reid will change his offense.

RealSNR
03-04-2013, 12:13 AM
A Gannon-like scenario is what makes me feel optimistic about this move.

The obvious problem, of course, is that Rich Gannon was what many Cassel supporters were hanging onto as a possibility for him beginning in 2011 until his demise. ROFL

Poor Alex. He really did get traded to the wrong fan base.

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Using Charles more sparingly might actually be a good thing for the guy's longevity.

20-25 runs a game is a short career for Charles. 13-18 is better for him.

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Alex Smith's wife is a former Raiders cheerleader.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/744/190/hondo11onInstagram_20130227_162101_original.jpg?1362010913

HolyHat
03-04-2013, 12:16 AM
The obvious problem, of course, is that Rich Gannon was what many Cassel supporters were hanging onto as a possibility for him beginning in 2011 until his demise. ROFL

Lucky for Alex, we have the dumbest fans on earth that will support him no matter how terrible he is.

cdcox
Using Charles more sparingly might actually be a good thing for the guy's longevity.

20-25 runs a game is a short career for Charles. 13-18 is better for him.

But worse for Smith. I don't think he is going to look good throwing the ball 35 time a game, where the whole offense rides on his shoulders.

Sorter

By cover 2, are you referring to the Tampa 2 out of base/sub personnel, cov 2 out of base 4-3/3-4, or cov 5 (man under with 2 deep)?

Because there is quite a bit difference b/w those coverages and techniques for the players, as well as how you plan for them based on film.

To be extremely basic, yes, the Tampa/base Cov 2 out of odd fronts does make it more difficult for most base WCO routes. That's also why (IMO) you've seen a lot of traditional WCOs or teams that have a WCO/short passing game (AirRaid/Spread) utilize back shoulder throws and other route combinations to eat the Tampa 2 up (i.e. Jimmy Graham destroying teams that loved C2 in the division ala Bucs, Panthers).

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:18 AM
But worse for Smith. I don't think he is going to look good throwing the ball 35 time a game, where the whole offense rides on his shoulders.

Dare I say, if it wasn't for Vernon Davis I'd say we have better receivers.

Bowe and Baldwin are unmissable targets on the outside. McCluster is the perfect squiggly slot dude. Moeaki's got sure hands. I imagine they'll add somebody early in the draft, too.

Sorter
03-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Reid runs a shit ton of shotgun. That isn't going to help Charles help Smith. Maybe Reid will change his offense.

I disagree. There are quite a few things that he can utilize Charles with out of a shotgun look that weren't previously done recently.

tk13
03-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Andy Reid is an amazing chef. He can make rotted meat taste a whole lot better than you'd expect!

He took a nearly 37 year old Jeff Garcia to within 3 points of the NFC title game. That's all I've got.

Sorter
03-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Dare I say, if it wasn't for Vernon Davis I'd say we have better receivers.

Bowe and Baldwin are unmissable targets on the outside. McCluster is the perfect squiggly slot dude. Moeaki's got sure hands. I imagine they'll add somebody early in the draft, too.

wut

Hammock Parties
03-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Sean Smith was literally the worst starting CB in the league in 2011.

Start the suckoff campaign!

HolyHat
03-04-2013, 12:24 AM

Sean Smith (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitSe99.htm#defense::none)

:hmmm:

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:24 AM
These are the only players the Chiefs will have to worry about hitting free agency in 2014:

WR Dexter McCluster
TE Tony Moeaki
OG Jon Asamoah
CB Javier Arenas
FS Kendrick Lewis

And Bowe, if we tag him again. :rolleyes: Tyson Jackson is a free agent then too, but he's either getting cut this year or restructured to get extended.

So the good news is, we'll have an offseason to dodge any major bullets.

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:26 AM

Not particularly interested what young players learning a new position do a couple years ago.

If you want to shit on Sean Smith, give me 2012.

Hammock Parties
03-04-2013, 12:26 AM
McCluster is the perfect squiggly slot dude.

He's squiggly until the first defender takes him down.

Unfortunately, with Alex Smiff the room to work underneath (the mythological element that will turn McCluster into a good player, supposedly) isn't gonna be there.

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:27 AM
He's squiggly until the first defender takes him down.

Unfortunately, with Alex Smiff the room to work underneath (the mythological element that will turn McCluster into a good player, supposedly) isn't gonna be there.

McCluster received a ton of looks from Cassel. He's too quick for linebackers to mark.

Hammock Parties
03-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Not particularly interested what young players learning a new position do a couple years ago.

If you want to shit on Sean Smith, give me 2012.

ROFL

41st out of 55 CBs (basically all starters).

He's a terrible CB.

cdcox
03-04-2013, 12:29 AM
By cover 2, are you referring to the Tampa 2 out of base/sub personnel, cov 2 out of base 4-3/3-4, or cov 5 (man under with 2 deep)?

Because there is quite a bit difference b/w those coverages and techniques for the players, as well as how you plan for them based on film.

To be extremely basic, yes, the Tampa/base Cov 2 out of odd fronts does make it more difficult for most base WCO routes. That's also why (IMO) you've seen a lot of traditional WCOs or teams that have a WCO/short passing game (AirRaid/Spread) utilize back shoulder throws and other route combinations to eat the Tampa 2 up (i.e. Jimmy Graham destroying teams that loved C2 in the division ala Bucs, Panthers).

I'm not up on the nuances of coverage. But if the defense hits the WR and limits YAC, the WCO loses effectiveness, especially if it doesn't have a strong downfield option.

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:32 AM
ROFL

41st out of 55 CBs (basically all starters).

He's a terrible CB.

You ever watch Smith play? Ever?

He is a classic case of having all the tools. He has legitimate shutdown ability, and has had games where he's clamped down on All Pro receivers like a vice. His size is fantastic and his speed is great.

His problem, of course, is his consistency. He gets torched too often by receivers when he's capable of shutting them down. His problem is between the ears.

The Dolphins want to keep him, but he's apparently a Bowe-esque nightmare in contract negotiations.

He's an ascending player.

bricks
03-04-2013, 12:35 AM

Not me. I had a bad feeling about Cassel the moment Weiss left. I think coaching means a lot.

I'm a firm believer good coaches get the best out of their QBs. After Weiss left, Cassel had dogshit coaches. That's not to make excuses for his failures but I think he could've been a lot better with good coaches and being in the right system well suited to his strengths.

I think that's what its about. Gannon had that with Gruden. I think Alex Smith will have that with Reid. He'll be fine mainly because he is in the right system under the guidance and tutelage of a good head coach. Like Whitlock stated in his articles and I agree with him, it's a formula for success.

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Seriously, how bad was Brian Daboll.

How bad was he.

bricks
03-04-2013, 12:38 AM

How bad was he.

****ing worst offensive coordinator in the NFL. Bar none.

And the dumbest as well.

mcaj22
03-04-2013, 12:39 AM
you do realize that Sean Smith is one of the worst CBs in the NFL right

that is nothing to get excited over, paying Sean Smith 7 or 8 million to get burnt like toast knowing for 2 more million you could have had money well spent on Brandon Carr

cdcox
03-04-2013, 12:39 AM

How bad was he.

In comparison to Jimmy Raye, Paul Hackett, and Mike Solari? Pretty average.

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:41 AM
you do realize that Sean Smith is one of the worst CBs in the NFL right

that is nothing to get excited over, paying Sean Smith 7 or 8 million to get burnt like toast knowing for 2 more million you could have had money well spent on Brandon Carr

I've watched the man play. He's ascending.

He's got tools to be a legit #1 shutdown corner. He's basically spent the last three years learning the position (he was a safety in college).

mcaj22
03-04-2013, 12:46 AM
im pretty sure he has actually gotten crappier and crappier and not ascending.

he just wants to be overpaid, and will continue being lazy/poor character

stanford routt part II

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:48 AM
im pretty sure he has actually gotten crappier and crappier and not ascending.

he just wants to be overpaid, and will continue being lazy/poor character

stanford routt part II

Hey, in a year where we need to lockdown DE and ILB, I'm cool with taking a shot on Smith. We can sell out for a corner in next year's draft.

mcaj22
03-04-2013, 12:51 AM
so after a year of awful play at the CB2 and FS position and people getting beat like a drum

your answer to that is Sean Smith, so we can continue more of the same and watching QBs pick our defense apart on that side of the field

I dont know about you, but thanks but no thanks.

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 12:52 AM
so after a year of awful play at the CB2 and FS position and people getting beat like a drum

your answer to that is Sean Smith, so we can continue more of the same and watching QBs pick our defense apart on that side of the field

I dont know about you, but thanks but no thanks.

You're wrong. Smith is definitively an improvement over Stanford Routt, who was honestly only signed so we could maximize our compensation for Brandon Carr.

mcaj22
03-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Sean Smith is terrible and Dolphins fans despise him like we despise Matt Cassel

RealSNR
03-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Hey, in a year where we need to lockdown DE and ILB, I'm cool with taking a shot on Smith. We can sell out for a corner in next year's draft.

Sign Cullen Jenkins, draft the ILB in the middle rounds, hopefully get someone to trade down with us from #1, go CB.

Problem solved.

Direckshun
03-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Sign Cullen Jenkins, draft the ILB in the middle rounds, hopefully get someone to trade down with us from #1, go CB.

Problem solved.

I'm in.

el borracho
03-04-2013, 01:12 AM
C'mon. We've got a solid starting lineup, and decent depth at most positions.

The Chiefs were the worst team in the league last year. They are not one or two pieces away, they are crap. Certainly a stud QB would have helped but instead the Chiefs will have Alex Smith and his 1.2 touchdowns a game (in his "best" years) to lead them. Compounding the problem, the Chiefs have given away some very valuable draft picks which could have been used to address some areas of need. It's pretty early, but I would bet that the Chiefs are, once again, going to fall below .500 this year.

mcaj22
03-04-2013, 01:14 AM
we have no depth anywhere

man are you watching the same team as me? What team are you watching because I want to cheer for that team

Mav
03-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Trading down to get a corner means either trading with the raiders at three, or the eagles at four. Neither situation i think can happen if the intent is to get milliner. Preferably, resign albert, resign bowe, draft milliner......

Mav
03-04-2013, 01:16 AM
The Chiefs were the worst team in the league last year. They are not one or two pieces away, they are crap. Certainly a stud QB would have helped but instead the Chiefs will have Alex Smith and his 1.2 touchdowns a game (in his "best" years) to lead them. Compounding the problem, the Chiefs have given away some very valuable draft picks which could have been used to address some areas of need. It's pretty early, but I would bet that the Chiefs are, once again, going to fall below .500 this year.

Alex Smith had more wins in the first month of the season last year, than your entire season. And before you say he did nothing and was carried, feel free to go look up the stats for the games, then get back to me.

Hammock Parties
03-04-2013, 01:19 AM
Late-night Dreckshit.

el borracho
03-04-2013, 01:31 AM
Ok:

vs. the crappy Green Bay defense Alex had 211 yards and 2 touchdowns, no interceptions
at home vs. the Lions Alex had 226 yards and 2 touchdowns, no interceptions
vs. the Vikings Alex had 204 yards, 1 touchdown and 1 interception
vs. the Jets Alex had 143 yards, no touchdowns, no interceptions

The Lions, by the way, finished 4-12 and the Jets finished 6-10. So all-in-all Alex managed 5 touchdowns in 4 games with 1 interception against some really crappy competition. Tell me again why I should be impressed.

Sorter
03-04-2013, 02:37 AM
I'm not up on the nuances of coverage. But if the defense hits the WR and limits YAC, the WCO loses effectiveness, especially if it doesn't have a strong downfield option.

What does this even mean? Defense hitting the WR as in DBs playing bump and run, press, or hitting hard after the play?

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, I'm just wondering what you mean.

big nasty kcnut
03-04-2013, 04:04 AM
Forgoodness sake we will get gino smith bank on it