PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Need vehicle opinions - Jeep Grand Cherokee

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 10:23 AM
So I'm thinking about breaking my streak of buying minivans at 5, and am considering a small SUV. I like the style of the 99-02 years, and they're in my price range.

Anyone have experiences with these? There seems to be a lot of them out there. I'm leaning towards one with the IL 6 cyl since it probably does better on gas and the V8 is really crammed in there and likely a bitch to work on.

Thoughts?

stonedstooge
03-04-2013, 10:28 AM
This one looks good

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/01/08/13/14/1978_pontiac_trans_am-pic-20068.jpeg

gblowfish
03-04-2013, 10:29 AM
I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 225,000 miles. I have the 4.0 liter straight six engine.

All the old beat to shit Jeeps you see on the road (even the old square body Cherokees) have that straight six engine. That engine design goes all the was back to the original Hudson Hornet automobile. Except now, they're fuel injected.

Jeeps are hard on batteries, brakes and are prone to electrical issues. I've replaced three of the four power window motors, had problems with the instrument cluster for windows and mirrors on the driver door, had to put in a new seat -the power seat frame is notorious for breaking, bad welds. But the power train has been great, and haven't had any spots on the body rust through.

Gas mileage on a six is actually just a couple miles better than a V8, but the engine is much more reliable and easier to work on.

Unless you plan to tow something, you really don't need the V8.

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 10:29 AM
This one looks good

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/01/08/13/14/1978_pontiac_trans_am-pic-20068.jpeg
Dude, you have no idea how much I wish I was buying that instead.

gblowfish
03-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Oh, I had to rebuild the rear axle on mine twice. Once at 80,000 miles, and again at 200,000 miles. This last time it cost about $700.

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 10:32 AM
I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 225,000 miles. I have the 4.0 liter straight six engine.

All the old beat to shit Jeeps you see on the road (even the old square body Cherokees) have that straight six engine. That engine design goes all the was back to the original Hudson Hornet automobile. Except now, they're fuel injected.

Jeeps are hard on batteries, brakes and are prone to electrical issues. I've replaced three of the four power window motors, had problems with the instrument cluster for windows and mirrors on the driver door, had to put in a new seat -the power seat frame is notorious for breaking, bad welds. But the power train has been great, and haven't had any spots on the body rust through.

Gas mileage on a six is actually just a couple miles better than a V8, but the engine is much more reliable and easier to work on.

Unless you plan to tow something, you really don't need the V8.
225k and no transmission issues? That's what really scares me with any Chrysler product.

The electrical gremlins can be frustrating too, I've fought them with my latest Caravan. The must be a ChryCo thing as well.

gblowfish
03-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Luckily, my transmission has been OK. I've had it serviced a couple times by Certified, but just as routine maintenance.

I had a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee before the 2002 I own now. It got a motor mount broken, and I had to get that fixed. I sold it with about 150,000 miles on it. The guy who bought it in 2002 is still driving it. I see it every once in awhile out here in my home town.

Exoter175
03-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Stay away from the V8 in any Jeep, and if you must buy a jeep, buy a 4 liter inline 6 and nothing else.

Plan to fix the following:
-Radiator hoses
-Anything electrical

Plan to replace/change frequently:
-Spark Plugs
-Front/Rear Diff fluids

Enjoy the following:
-Driving in Snow
-Driving on Ice
-Driving through a creek
-Rock Crawling
-Your new assortment of Tow Chains, Hooks, and Ropes
-Your friends loving you in snow season for free pull outs
-Lots of hi-fives for owning a 4 liter inline 6 jeep

What you wont' enjoy:
-Gas Mileage
-Squeaks and rattles
-Having friends call you all the time to pull them out

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Ugh. How bad of gas mileage are we talking here?

Buehler445
03-04-2013, 11:41 AM
My biggest problem with Jeeps is they never have enough room to cram my big ass in them. I've never once ridden in a Jeep with adequate leg room. IIRC, you're not that much shorter than I am. Make sure you drive one good and far before you cut the check.

Deberg_1990
03-04-2013, 11:42 AM

Jeeps have never been known for their good gas mileage.

gblowfish
03-04-2013, 11:43 AM
On my 2002, I usually get about 18 city, about 21 highway. Mine is leaking a little bit of oil now, lose about 1/2 quart every 5,000 miles. No biggie.

Brock
03-04-2013, 11:43 AM
They're solid. As others have said, the inline six is the way to go.

burt
03-04-2013, 11:46 AM
All great and valid advice! PLUS on a Jeep...a little damage only gives it character!!

Frosty
03-04-2013, 11:51 AM
225k and no transmission issues? That's what really scares me with any Chrysler product.

On the regular Cherokees, the auto tranny is an Aisin transmission and is really solid (also used in some Toyota pickups of that vintage). Don't know if that's the case with the Grand Cherokees with the 4.0L, though.

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
My biggest problem with Jeeps is they never have enough room to cram my big ass in them. I've never once ridden in a Jeep with adequate leg room. IIRC, you're not that much shorter than I am. Make sure you drive one good and far before you cut the check.
Yeah, that's a concern of mine. I kinda wanted some feedback before I spent the time looking at and driving them. I drove a Durango the other day and I loved it, but I don't like the engine choices that are available in them.

On my 2002, I usually get about 18 city, about 21 highway. Mine is leaking a little bit of oil now, lose about 1/2 quart every 5,000 miles. No biggie.
Oh, that's not terrible. My V6 Dakota doesn't even do that well.

kaplin42
03-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Bought a Jeep Wrangler Sport last may. I have to be honest, I was expecting the stereotypical bumpy ride, "it's a jeep, deal with it" type of scene. I am so pleasantly surprised at how comfortable and roomy the Jeep is. It rides smooth, and with the Penstar v6, it has quite a bit of power. On top of that, 4x4ing is a lot of fun. You can get it with nav and power everything, remote start, engine block warmers and all kinds of stuff. If you haven't, take a look at a Wrangler.

I should make a note. The suspension and engine were re-done in the 2012 models. Do not get anything less than a 2012.

kaplin42
03-04-2013, 11:53 AM

I get 18 and 22 mpg living in Los Angeles (important, because traffic lowers mpg).

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 11:55 AM
On the regular Cherokees, the auto tranny is an Aisin transmission and is really solid (also used in some Toyota pickups of that vintage). Don't know if that's the case with the Grand Cherokees with the 4.0L, though.
Can't do the Sport. I have driven them and the doors are too small, I have trouble getting in and out of them.

kaplin42
03-04-2013, 11:55 AM

Get a JKU.

U = Unlimited = 4 door. Tons and tons of room in those.

gblowfish
03-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Mine is 13 years old now, and I've been replacing a lot of stuff on it. Driver's seat I had shipped from a salvage yard in Lebanon, MO. I've replaced both headlight assemblies because the clear plastic lenses were shot. It would cost more to have them "buffed out" than just replace with new. I've also replaced both tail lights from rocks and parking lot dings and cracks. I have hood and tail hatch lifts coming this week to replace those. They wear out eventually. I'll need tires all around later this spring, trying to coax another 5,000 out of the current ones. I have Uniroyal Laredos. They've been great. My trip odometer has been out for a long time. That's in the roof above the dashboard. Has outside temp, compass, etc. Anybody had that go out on them before? Is it an easy fix?

Buehler445
03-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Get a JKU.

U = Unlimited = 4 door. Tons and tons of room in those.

Grand Cherokee Unilmited?

Ace Gunner
03-04-2013, 11:59 AM
I've got a '99 V8 that I don't use much anymore. The turn radius is great, but it's hard on the axles. Had a tranny go in '06 but the thing has been good to me.

gblowfish
03-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Grand Cherokee has the basic Laredo, then Limited, then the super nice one is the Overland. I don't think they made the Limited or Overland with the straight six. I think both of them were V8 only.

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Bought a Jeep Wrangler Sport last may. I have to be honest, I was expecting the stereotypical bumpy ride, "it's a jeep, deal with it" type of scene. I am so pleasantly surprised at how comfortable and roomy the Jeep is. It rides smooth, and with the Penstar v6, it has quite a bit of power. On top of that, 4x4ing is a lot of fun. You can get it with nav and power everything, remote start, engine block warmers and all kinds of stuff. If you haven't, take a look at a Wrangler.

I should make a note. The suspension and engine were re-done in the 2012 models. Do not get anything less than a 2012.
Appreciate the advice but that new of a vehicle isn't possible. I'm strictly a cash buyer.

COchief
03-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Boiled down legit advice from owning several jeeps and other makes:

- 4.0 only, no exceptions, one of the best engines ever produced.
- Everything around the engine and drivetrain is crappy and will probably break, you want the least amount of bells and whistles possible, cause that is all crap you'll need to fix.
- Drivetrain will rarely if ever, let you down if maintained.
- Best value and honestly ten times the vehicle would be Xterra/Pathfinder/4runner of the same vintage, disagree? Eat shit, I have gone from Cherokee/Xterra/Wrangler. You haven't so STFU. Also drive them, you'll see.

Exoter175
03-04-2013, 12:01 PM

Honestly and realistically, if you're in the city, don't expect more than 16-17 MPG. On highway road trips, expect 20-24 depending on how well she's running.

If you want a fuel efficient 4wd smaller suv, get a Honda CRV.

The WJ (99-04)grand cherokees are all Chrysler transmissions. In the ZJ grand cherokees (93-98) there was an Aisin automatic offered, but there were also 5 other Chrysler transmissions offered in that body style, and I'm pretty sure the Aisin was a mid model change over to Chrysler so up until about mid 94 they were Aisins, and the rest were chryslers.

In the regular cherokees the only Aisins were Manuals, the Autos were Chrysler. Actually I take that back, I think there were a few model years with the 4 series aisin in it, probably the 92-94.5 model years, somewhat similar to the grand cherokee.

The transmissions aren't super terrible honestly, you have to remember what they are mated up to.

You've got a 4.0 liter inline six mated to a 4 speed auto chrysler transmission, running power to some Dana Axles :D, life isn't so bad when you've got Danas in there which almost all of them have.

COchief
03-04-2013, 12:04 PM
If you want a real Wrangler, buy nothing newer than 2006, if you're a pussy and want to look tough but need heated seats and can't put a key in a door, get a JK

FYP

burt
03-04-2013, 12:04 PM

- Everything around the engine and drivetrain is crappy and will probably break, you want the least amount of bells and whistles possible, cause that is all crap you'll need to fix.
- Best value and honestly ten times the vehicle would be Xterra/Pathfinder/4runner of the same vintage, disagree? Eat shit, I have gone from Cherokee/Xterra/Wrangler. You haven't so STFU. Also drive them, you'll see.

I have owned Pathfinder, 4Runner, Wrangler....all fine experiences....but the Wrangler was the best!!! BUT NOT 10 X's.... Just sayin'.....

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Don't disagree. But the decent ones are waaay out of my price range. Those damn things just don't lose value.

COchief
03-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Don't disagree. But the decent ones are waaay out of my price range. Those damn things just don't lose value.

They are in your range most likely, 4runner I'll give you but you pay for a little cushier experience. No better value than a 2000-2004 Xterra/Pathfinder.

COchief
03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
I have owned Pathfinder, 4Runner, Wrangler....all fine experiences....but the Wrangler was the best!!! BUT NOT 10 X's.... Just sayin'.....

Yeah, 2002 Sahara owner with D44 and 3.73. Went from a mint 2002 Xterra S/C, and man were those first couple weeks rough.

I was talking about his SUV class, and was referring to quality of the little things, ride, and reliability. I couldn't shake the thought when I dumped my X and paid almost twice as much for the Wrangler, that I was an idiot. But car guys follow passion, not reason.

COchief
03-04-2013, 12:14 PM

I'm bored and like hunting shit down, give me range and location and I'll see if I can dig up any finds.

Exoter175
03-04-2013, 12:14 PM

Uh, no. If you buy a wrangler, you buy one fromt he mid/late 90's and no newer than early 2000's, after that, the drivetrain becomes dominated by Chrysler and they turn into mall crawlers with bells and whistles that people don't need for what the Wrangler was built for........driving over shit.

I had a 2004 TJ Sport with option Dana 44 in it, it was literally the BEST combination in the world with that 4.0 liter straight six. The only downside is that I had the 6 speed Chrysler Manual in it, which was "meh". I never got stuck in that thing. Went rock crawling, mudding, swamping, you name it. With the 6 inch lift and 35's, never got stuck. I sank that thing in a swamp and was a little over waist deep in the absolute sloppiest swampy mud scenario you could find, kicked it in 4 low and go out. It was awesome. The new jeeps on the other hands, are for people with vaginas.

Grand Cherokee has the basic Laredo, then Limited, then the super nice one is the Overland. I don't think they made the Limited or Overland with the straight six. I think both of them were V8 only.

Overland? You're talking new jeeps now, and new jeeps are bad.

I disagree here slightly, the suspension and brakes in stock form are very good when you put them to the extreme pre-sissy jeeps. In my 04 the brakes should have seriously faded on me on many treks but they didn't, as much shit that was put through them, they worked like a champ.

Completely agree with you on the 4 runner mention, anything Toyota and 4wd is worth the money, especially older 22RE trucks.

COchief
03-04-2013, 12:18 PM
I disagree here slightly, the suspension and brakes in stock form

You're probably a little more mechanic oriented than me, I meant drive train to say basically anything under the body. We're the same guy, 2000-2002 is the ultimate year if you're going non-rubi.

kaplin42
03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Can't do the Sport. I have driven them and the doors are too small, I have trouble getting in and out of them.

Sport only refers to the version of the model. For instance:

Sport
Sport S
Sahara
Rubicon

The further down the list, the more features you get, with the Rubicon being best if you plan on off-roading at all.

The current Series model is the JK (as opposed to CJ, YJ, TJ). I think when you say Sport, you're thinking of the 2 door model, like I said in a previous post, take a look at the 4 door model (JKU), it has a lot more room in it.

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm bored and like hunting shit down, give me range and location and I'll see if I can dig up any finds.
Omaha area, $5000-ish budget. Did some digging on Xterras last week but haven't really checked out what's around for Pathfinders. And nothing black in color.

Frosty
03-04-2013, 12:21 PM
In the regular cherokees the only Aisins were Manuals, the Autos were Chrysler. Actually I take that back, I think there were a few model years with the 4 series aisin in it, probably the 92-94.5 model years, somewhat similar to the grand cherokee.

All 1987-2001 XJ's with the 4.0L had Aisin-Warner AW-4 4-speed automatics. The 4-cyl XJ's used a Chrysler 3-spd tranny.

Bugeater

Sport
Sport S
Sahara
Rubicon

The further down the list, the more features you get, with the Rubicon being best if you plan on off-roading at all.

The current Series model is the JK (as opposed to CJ, YJ, TJ). I think when you say Sport, you're thinking of the 2 door model, like I said in a previous post, take a look at the 4 door model (JKU), it has a lot more room in it.
Oh, I thought the boxy Cherokees were called the Sport. That's the way most of them seem to be titled in the ads.

Exoter175
You're probably a little more mechanic oriented than me, I meant drive train to say basically anything under the body. We're the same guy, 2000-2002 is the ultimate year if you're going non-rubi.

In my opinion you don't get anything better than the TJ really. Which is what? 97-06ish I believe.

You get a 4.0 straight six, at least a Dana 35 if not Dana 44 with 3.73's, and some awesome brakes.

My '04 was just a little too new for my liking.

You see, when I think Jeep, I think lifted, 35's, 33's minimum, top off, doors off. I need a heater, I don't need AC, and a radio is questionable.

That's how I like my jeeps.

Frosty
03-04-2013, 12:24 PM

Sport
Sport S
Sahara
Rubicon

I believe he was talking about the XJ (small Cherokee). He's right about the doors being small and being a pain to get into and out of. That's the reason I got rid of mine (small children at the time). Once you were in, though, they were roomy.

kaplin42
03-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Uh, no. If you buy a wrangler, you buy one fromt he mid/late 90's and no newer than early 2000's, after that, the drivetrain becomes dominated by Chrysler and they turn into mall crawlers with bells and whistles that people don't need for what the Wrangler was built for........driving over shit.

I had a 2004 TJ Sport with option Dana 44 in it, it was literally the BEST combination in the world with that 4.0 liter straight six. The only downside is that I had the 6 speed Chrysler Manual in it, which was "meh". I never got stuck in that thing. Went rock crawling, mudding, swamping, you name it. With the 6 inch lift and 35's, never got stuck. I sank that thing in a swamp and was a little over waist deep in the absolute sloppiest swampy mud scenario you could find, kicked it in 4 low and go out. It was awesome. The new jeeps on the other hands, are for people with vaginas.

Overland? You're talking new jeeps now, and new jeeps are bad.

I disagree here slightly, the suspension and brakes in stock form are very good when you put them to the extreme pre-sissy jeeps. In my 04 the brakes should have seriously faded on me on many treks but they didn't, as much shit that was put through them, they worked like a champ.

Completely agree with you on the 4 runner mention, anything Toyota and 4wd is worth the money, especially older 22RE trucks.

New Jeeps are awesome, just because soccer mom's like them, doesn't mean that you can't actually use them for off-roading like I do all the time. Typical BS though "if it's newer than X year, it's not a Jeep. If it's got 4 doors, it's not a Jeep."

You can lift, and mod, and deck out the new Jeeps just as you could the old ones.

Exoter175
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
All 1987-2001 XJ's with the 4.0L had Aisin-Warner AW-4 4-speed automatics. The 4-cyl XJ's used a Chrysler 3-spd tranny.

I think you're right there, I just seem to remember having a 92 3 speed 4.0 at some point early in my life lol

Oh, I thought the boxy Cherokees were called the Sport. That's the way most of them seem to be titled in the ads.

That's just one of the most common trim levels for the boxy cherokees, and they are very plentiful. I've had 3 myself, my buddy has had 6 in the last 3 years.

Guess what our common maintenance has been on them?

Plugs, radiator hoses, and differential fluid changes. lol.

And we put them......through......hell..........:D

SAUTO
03-04-2013, 12:26 PM
ive had a 2003 grand since 2004. bought it with 60 K on it and it had been built 18 months prior.

it has almost 200K on it now.

ive done the brakes once. changed the oil every 3000.
routine maintenance. fluid changes.

and the cooling fan relay goes out about once a year. other than that it has been a great vehicle.

Frosty
03-04-2013, 12:28 PM

No, Sport is just a trim level for either 2 or 4 door XJ (mine was a Limited). The whole "Cherokee" thing confuses people. When I was looking for a car for my son, I was considering the small Cherokee (XJ) but it seemed like every add that said something like "2000 Cherokee" was actually a Grand Cherokee. Two diferent vehicles completely. To make matters worse, "Cherokee" used to be a trim level on the big jeeps in the '70's.

tboss27
03-04-2013, 12:28 PM
I've got a 2000 Grand Cherokee that I'm looking to get rid of soon. 166K (ish) miles, silver. I'm in Wichita, PM me if you're interested. Haven't had any issues with it except electrical as others have stated, needs two window motors replaced but other than that hasn't had any issues.

Exoter175
03-04-2013, 12:30 PM
New Jeeps are awesome, just because soccer mom's like them, doesn't mean that you can't actually use them for off-roading like I do all the time. Typical BS though "if it's newer than X year, it's not a Jeep. If it's got 4 doors, it's not a Jeep."

You can lift, and mod, and deck out the new Jeeps just as you could the old ones.

New jeeps are dominated by Chrysler, that is not awesome. There is literally nothing left from AMC in the new jeeps, and that is sad. That is what Jeeps are, or were.

Yeah, the new jeeps still function like the jeeps of old, but the break so much more now than they did a decade ago, and most of that is due to it being a Chrysler product, and partly due to the extra bells and whistles.

When you buy a 92 Jeep Cherokee, you get a 4.0 liter inline six, some baby danas, and 4wd. That's it. You can drive it through anything.

You don't need Navigation, you don't need all the extra bells and whistles.

Quite literally the new Jeeps have traded out their toughness and ruggedness for bells and whistles, and now charge a premium for models and trim levels to attain that ruggedness again.

So while you talk about jeeps being jeeps and being able to mod the new ones like the old ones, remember now that a Jeep Liberty can't do 1/50th of what a Jeep Cherokee could do 15 years ago.

in the early/mid 90's, Jeep Cherokees were the standard for excellence in sport SUV's.

Now look what happened with Chrysler's hand in the middle of all of that, douchebags and soccer moms in their mall crawlers looking the part, but incapable of acting the part.

CoMoChief
03-04-2013, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't buy anything Jeep/Chrysler anymore

I've had 2 Jeeps and my parents have always had Grand Cherokees....the electrical systems start to crap out after 85K miles. Horrible AC/coolant systems, have had troubles w/ everyone me or my family has had.

BUT...the 4.0 inline 6 is one of the best engines around.

Now I don't even like the look of them. Always wanted a Wrangler but they're too expensive if you want one that's worth a shit. For some reason those things keep their re-sale value up higher than you'd think.

kaplin42
03-04-2013, 12:31 PM
In my opinion you don't get anything better than the TJ really. Which is what? 97-06ish I believe.

You get a 4.0 straight six, at least a Dana 35 if not Dana 44 with 3.73's, and some awesome brakes.

My '04 was just a little too new for my liking.

You see, when I think Jeep, I think lifted, 35's, 33's minimum, top off, doors off. I need a heater, I don't need AC, and a radio is questionable.

That's how I like my jeeps.

My "made for vaginas" 2012 sport came with Dana 33's and a 3.73 ratio. The Rubi's come with Dana 44's and a 4.10 ratio with front and real lockers.

It's cool though, I have power locks on my Jeep so it must not hold up to the old ones.

Exoter175
03-04-2013, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't buy anything Jeep/Chrysler anymore

I've had 2 Jeeps and my parents have always had them....they start to crap out after 75K miles.

Now I don't even like the look of them. Always wanted a Wrangler but they're too expensive if you want one that's worth a shit. For some reason those things keep their re-sale value up higher than you'd think.

Its the drivetrain that they put int he late 90's early 2000's.

People see a 2004 TJ worth 12k with 90k miles on it and think their 2008 with 95k miles is worth 17k because its a jeep thing right?

Not so much, that 2004 is bullet proof compared to the 2008, and in another 5 years, that 2008 is going to plummet compared to the 2004.

Exoter175
03-04-2013, 12:33 PM
My "made for vaginas" 2012 sport came with Dana 33's and a 3.73 ratio. The Rubi's come with Dana 44's and a 4.10 ratio with front and real lockers.

It's cool though, I have power locks on my Jeep so it must not hold up to the old ones.

Baby Danas.

My TJ came with 44's and 3.73's in 6 speed, 6 inches of lift, and 35's. I'd park it on the hood of your 2012 "sport".

Edit: And who needs door locks when you take the doors off like a true jeep was meant to be?

COchief
03-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Omaha area, $5000-ish budget. Did some digging on Xterras last week but haven't really checked out what's around for Pathfinders. And nothing black in color.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3640516125.html Value if you're man enough to drive a stick as most NE people aren't

http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3653902926.html

http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3626601286.html

Allright dude, they are everywhere right in your range with decent miles. I would skip the supercharger if I were in the mileage range you're in as they command a premium, go out frequently, and are basically a hamster strapped on to the engine. The X will be sort of a dog power wise, but I wouldn't imagine that you want to stomp around in an X. If it bugs you, find a Pathfinder with the 3.5 as those are glorious engines. Also this might sound dumb, but Xs hide their 2X4 variants fairly well, so look for it in ads before going to waste your time.

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 12:38 PM
No, Sport is just a trim level for either 2 or 4 door XJ (mine was a Limited). The whole "Cherokee" thing confuses people. When I was looking for a car for my son, I was considering the small Cherokee (XJ) but it seemed like every add that said something like "2000 Cherokee" was actually a Grand Cherokee. Two diferent vehicles completely. To make matters worse, "Cherokee" used to be a trim level on the big jeeps in the '70's.
It is confusing. I usually do my searches for "Grand Cherokee" and I know I'm probably missing some that aren't titled properly, but otherwise I have to sift through all the XJs to find what I'm interested in.

I've got a 2000 Grand Cherokee that I'm looking to get rid of soon. 166K (ish) miles, silver. I'm in Wichita, PM me if you're interested. Haven't had any issues with it except electrical as others have stated, needs two window motors replaced but other than that hasn't had any issues.
PM on its way.

Exoter175
03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3640516125.html Value if you're man enough to drive a stick as most NE people aren't

Allright dude, they are everywhere right in your range with decent miles. I would skip the supercharger if I were in the mileage range you're in as they command a premium, go out frequently, and are basically a hamster strapped on to the engine. The X will be sort of a dog power wise, but I wouldn't imagine that you want to stomp around in an X. If it bugs you, find a Pathfinder with the 3.5 as those are glorious engines. Also this might sound dumb, but Xs hide their 2X4 variants fairly well, so look for it in ads before going to waste your time.

Although that 3.5 is glorious, it is a pita to work on :/

Frosty
03-04-2013, 12:44 PM

That one seems fishy as the price seems much lower than it should, unless the manual knocks it down that much.

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 12:46 PM

Heh, I did see that first one last week when I was looking at another vehicle on that same lot, and the place is kinda sketchy. Other than the piece that's missing under the front bumper it doesn't seem too bad though. And I don't mind a manual transmission at all. I'd actually prefer that.

The other two are getting out of my price range. I really like the one in Fremont though.

I did just find this though, might have to go check it out:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3640516125.html

Not crazy about the color though but the price is right.

COchief
03-04-2013, 12:54 PM

Mine was that silver, looked clean all the time and was cool in the summers. Plus it looked awesome when I detailed it and shined up all the plastic and tires, tint really adds something too.

Also general rule of thumb for me, you should be able to kick at least 500-1000 off any vehicle price whether private or dealer. And if you let a stellar vehicle go over $500, you'll probably regret it.

My X right before I sold it in Dec:

Frosty
03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Heh, I did see that first one last week when I was looking at another vehicle on that same lot, and the place is kinda sketchy. Other than the piece that's missing under the front bumper it doesn't seem too bad though. And I don't mind a manual transmission at all. I'd actually prefer that.

The other two are getting out of my price range. I really like the one in Fremont though.

I did just find this though, might have to go check it out:

2002 Nissan Xterra SE , 4WD, 5 Speed Manual V6 3.3, 108K Only !!! - $5750 (6154 L St in Omaha)

Quality Motors LLC located at 6154 L Street in Omaha, has up for sale 2002 Nissan Xterra SE 4X4, Auto, V6 3.0L, 5 Speed Manual Trany. Has only 108K, Good Price

LMAO. Not sketchy at all.

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Mine was that silver, looked clean all the time and was cool in the summers. Plus it looked awesome when I detailed it and shined up all the plastic and tires.

Also general rule of thumb for me, you should be able to kick at least 500-1000 off any vehicle price whether private or dealer. And if you let a stellar vehicle go over $500, you'll probably regret it.
Whoops, mis-pasted. This is what I meant to post.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3649400467.html

Frosty
03-04-2013, 01:03 PM

That one isn't as nice. It doesn't have the 3.3 3.0L V6 or the automatic 5-speed manual transmission.

Bugeater
LMAO. Not sketchy at all.
Didn't even catch that. I saw an ad for a Grand Cherokee this weekend, it said it had the V8, and I went and looked at it yesterday and when I got to the dealership it had "six cylinder" written on the windshield. They weren't open so I still don't know what it really has in it.

COchief
That one seems fishy as the price seems much lower than it should, unless the manual knocks it down that much.

Ha, welcome to America sir. People here are fat, lazy, and want the path of least resistance while simultaneously stuffing their faces with big macs and a gallon of coke. Especially in NE (grew up in SD so I can say that).

Kind of kidding, but also kind of not

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 01:06 PM
That one isn't as nice. It doesn't have the 3.3 3.0L V6 or the automatic 5-speed manual transmission.
It doesn't say anything at all about what engine it has in it, which is another pet peeve of mine. I just went on a rant in the random thought thread about these idiots that post these ads.

COchief
03-04-2013, 01:15 PM
It doesn't say anything at all about what engine it has in it, which is another pet peeve of mine. I just went on a rant in the random thought thread about these idiots that post these ads.

He's F-ing with you, X will only be 3.3 with supercharger or without.

That car joint screwed up and put 3.0 instead of 3.3.

Frosty
03-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Ha, welcome to America sir. People here are fat, lazy, and want the path of least resistance while simultaneously stuffing their faces with big macs and a gallon of coke. Especially in NE (grew up in SD so I can say that).

Kind of kidding, but also kind of not

Last year, I was car shopping and only wanted a manual. I didn't see much of a discount for them (though a dealer will nail you on a trade-in with a manual). People seemed like they wanted to charge more for them - "rare 5-speed manual". Maybe it's a regional thing.

He's F-ing with you, X will only be 3.3 with supercharger or without.

That car joint screwed up and put 3.0 instead of 3.3.

I was just laughing at that dealer ad listing two different engine sizes as well as two different transmissions.

COchief
03-04-2013, 01:20 PM

Here is my philosophy and you can agree or not.

Spend 4K on a high mileage X and most likely have something go. I mean these are reliable as hell but you're gambling with anything approaching 200K. Then you end up spending 1000-1500 and have a legit vehicle again for 5-6K.

Or

Spend 5-6 right off the bat, get a 110Kish vehicle and know nothing will be go wrong if you know how to find a car.

Option A $5k 176K mile vehicle (after something goes, you could have nothing, it's always a gamble)

Option B $5k 110K mile vehicle

Also take in effect general wear and tear and things like rust, look at the difference between a vehicle with 40k vs 110k, usually a pretty big difference.

COchief
03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
stuff.

Totally regional, way more manuals in a state like CO or WA then NE.

Also dude, I knew exactly what you were doing. Don't want to be snarky, but I probably shouldn't have had to tell you this specifically.

Frosty
03-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Also dude, I knew exactly what you were doing. Don't want to be snarky, but I probably shouldn't have had to tell you this specifically.

I wasn't actually talking to you. I was piggy-backing off of your post.

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Here is my philosophy and you can agree or not.

Spend 4K on a high mileage X and most likely have something go. I mean these are reliable as hell but you're gambling with anything approaching 200K. Then you end up spending 1000-1500 and have a legit vehicle again for 5-6K.

Or

Spend 5-6 right off the bat, get a 110Kish vehicle and know nothing will be go wrong if you know how to find a car.

Option A $5k 176K mile vehicle (after something goes, you could have nothing, it's always a gamble)

Option B $5k 110K mile vehicle
Mostly agree when it comes to imports, but when it comes to domestics like the Grand Cherokee as far as I'm concerned anything can go wrong after 100k. So I'd rather go low end and bank the extra money, and be well prepared for any problems.

I'm assuming you meant 6-7k for option B, but going that high is actually a bigger gamble because that would deplete my savings to the point that if something major still goes wrong with the more expensive vehicle, I'd be risking wiping out what I have left.

It's all a freaking crapshoot really.

Hoover
03-04-2013, 01:35 PM
I don't want to squat on this thread, but my wife is wanting a new car and wants to get a Honda Odyssey. I'm not a fan of mini vans, but I've never had one. The other problem I'm having is that I think its crazy to spend 42K on a decked out mini van when we could spend the same amount and get a AWD suv. I'm trying to talk her into a Highlander, Pathfinder, or something similar.

What say you guys?

Radar Chief
03-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Anything made after the CJ models IS CRAP!

:Poke:

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 01:48 PM
I don't want to squat on this thread, but my wife is wanting a new car and wants to get a Honda Odyssey. I'm not a fan of mini vans, but I've never had one. The other problem I'm having is that I think its crazy to spend 42K on a decked out mini van when we could spend the same amount and get a AWD suv. I'm trying to talk her into a Highlander, Pathfinder, or something similar.

What say you guys?
I've always bought minivans over SUVs because they're generally cheaper (resale wise, not necessarily the case for you since you're buying new), they tend to have a more car-like ride and they usually do better on gas. Hell to the no on spending 42K on one though. If I was going to drop that much on a vehicle it would have to be something totally bad-ass.

Frosty
03-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Mostly agree when it comes to imports, but when it comes to domestics like the Grand Cherokee as far as I'm concerned anything can go wrong after 100k. So I'd rather go low end and bank the extra money, and be well prepared for any problems.

I'm assuming you meant 6-7k for option B, but going that high is actually a bigger gamble because that would deplete my savings to the point that if something major still goes wrong with the more expensive vehicle, I'd be risking wiping out what I have left.

The used car market really, really sucks right. Stuff is either so expensive that you might was well spend a bit more and go new or it's clapped out crap that the seller thinks is made of gold.

We ended up going with a 2000 Impreza with 120K miles for $3600. I'm still going to have to put about $1500 for new clutch, timing belt and A/C compressor. I would have preferred to just get the cheapest new car I could but the insurance was insane.

What say you guys?

The Odyssey is probably more family friendly and gets better mileage.

I think spending $42K on anything is insane but that's just me.

COchief
03-04-2013, 01:52 PM

Agreed man, balancing the equation, a lot of people don't seem to get it which is kind why I broke it out like that. Remember asking price is ASKING price. 500-1000 of should be no problem. Even if you hate negotiating, just say "I'll give you this" and then walk, it it's reasonable they'll take it or call you back the next day and take it.

I don't want to tell you what to do, but I have spent years in this vehicle sector and looked at the specifics of most of these models for an embarrassing amount of time.

If you like the looks of X/pathfinder and drive a couple and like them. Eliminate any other possibility and take the time to find the right one. There is nothing close to the value of these Nissans. Grand Cherokee is a ridiculously inferior product to these trucks (current Jeep owner). Notice when I posted my original statement, 3-4 car dealers/car guys immediately followed with "can't disagree".

Unless you hate them, buy one, there is nothing better for the money.

COchief
03-04-2013, 01:56 PM
I wasn't actually talking to you. I was piggy-backing off of your post.

Cool, I was kind of like "really dude?"

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 01:57 PM
The used car market really, really sucks right. Stuff is either so expensive that you might was well spend a bit more and go new or it's clapped out crap that the seller thinks is made of gold.

We ended up going with a 2000 Impreza with 120K miles for $3600. I'm still going to have to put about $1500 for new clutch, timing belt and A/C compressor. I would have preferred to just get the cheapest new car I could but the insurance was insane.
Well the problem is I just lost my job so financing something right now is completely out of the question. And even without that issue I don't like making car payments. Plus the additional licensing and insurance costs like you mentioned, it's just becomes too damn much money for something to drive. I hate to buy anything at all right now but my current van is on borrowed time and I don't want to have to drive my truck on a daily basis.

Frosty
03-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Well the problem is I just lost my job so financing something right now is completely out of the question. And even without that issue I don't like making car payments. Plus the additional licensing and insurance costs like you mentioned, it's just becomes too damn much money for something to drive. I hate to buy anything at all right now but my current van is on borrowed time and I don't want to have to drive my truck on a daily basis.

Sorry to hear about the job.

COchief
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
42K on a decked out mini van when we could spend the same amount and get a AWD suv.
What say you guys?

All I am going to say is if you buy any vehicle new for $42K I think you probably need your head examined. Go 2-4 years back and get virtually the same thing that some idiot wiped his ass with $20k to drive 30-60k miles.

I continually hear the Odyssey is by far the best choice for minivans, also new Pathfinder is ugly and shit and is basically a minivan anyways.

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Sorry to hear about the job.
Eh, it's not that big of a deal, I'll find another one and I can work independently and still get by in the meantime. But for some reason banks are kind of funny about handing out loans to people without a steady source of income. :)

Frosty
03-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Eh, it's not that big of a deal, I'll find another one and I can work independently and still get by in the meantime. But for some reason banks are kind of funny about handing out loans to people without a steady source of income. :)

Most of time anyway (see home financing collapse).

Do you need an SUV to haul stuff or just like them because of the room?

prhom
03-04-2013, 02:05 PM
I bought a v8 2001 Grand Cherokee with 104,000 miles in 2004 and got about 2 yrs out of it before I gave up on it. In the end there were transmission problems that cost a bunch to fix and then after spending about $1500 trying to get the cooling system to work in the summer heat of Nevada without success, I sold it.

I'm not a mechanic so it was not a good car for me to own as I had to pay others way too much to work on it, and the cooling issue was a big worrying point since you don't want to overheat or get stuck in the middle of the Nevada desert. If you know what you're doing it's probably not too bad. I loved the car itself and it was the best 4wd vehicle I've ever driven. Just too unreliable and expensive to own for me.

Got about 22 mpg on the highway and around 18 mpg in town. I consider that pretty good for a v8 SUV.

T-post Tom
03-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Save your money, there'll be a DHS light-armored SUV in you neighborhood just for you before you know it.

Bugeater
03-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Most of time anyway (see home financing collapse).

Do you need an SUV to haul stuff or just like them because of the room?
Both. I'm 6'1" so I don't fit into cars very well. And I need something I can throw my bike in and haul my tools. Common sense tells me to just buy another Caravan but the newer ones are all loaded down with extra useless features that I just see as more stuff to go wrong. Looked at one last week that had electric sliding doors...what the hell? I never thought to myself once "damn, these sliding doors are way too much of a pain in the ass, I wish I could motorize them!"

Rock Action
03-04-2013, 02:12 PM
I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that currently has 106K on the engine and still runs as good as the day it was new. Good call IMO to get one.

Frosty
03-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Both. I'm 6'1" so I don't fit into cars very well. And I need something I can throw my bike in and haul my tools. Common sense tells me to just buy another Caravan but the newer ones are all loaded down with extra useless features that I just see as more stuff to go wrong. Looked at one last week that had electric sliding doors...what the hell? I never thought to myself once "damn, these sliding doors are way too much of a pain in the ass, I wish I could motorize them!"

My wife and I both drive small SUVs so I understand. My boys both prefer small sedans. I'm so over feeling like I'm sitting on the ground when I drive and not being able to haul anything because it won't fit in the trunk.

burt
03-04-2013, 02:35 PM
All I am going to say is if you buy any vehicle new for $42K I think you probably need your head examined. Go 2-4 years back and get virtually the same thing that some idiot wiped his ass with $20k to drive 30-60k miles.

I continually hear the Odyssey is by far the best choice for minivans, also new Pathfinder is ugly and shit and is basically a minivan anyways.

Seems to me that Either the Odyssey or the Sienna run neck and neck for the best of breed! But I am not much of an expert on vehicles....

COchief
03-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Seems to me that Either the Odyssey or the Sienna run neck and neck for the best of breed! But I am not much of an expert on vehicles....

Wow, what a pissy little bitch, oh what a massive ground breaking revelation the Toyota is good too. Any other killer inside info for us, like don't buy a yugo?

What, used car guy didn't like me breaking everything down to god damn T with not one google search and you found a stupid sliver where you could pop up and say, nu-uh Toyota is good too! Regarding a minivan none-the-less, real big "car guy" street cred there. Eat a dick shitstain, your motivation for posting that is clear as day to me you insecure and colossal douchebag.

There is a few legit car guys in this thread, you aren't one of them.

Pretty pathetic you get paid to know this, it's a hobby for me, but it's obvious whose superior isn't it?

Exoter175
03-04-2013, 06:11 PM

What say you guys?

There's a ton of options out there now due to the crossover market of the XUV platforms now. You can go anywhere from SUV to XUV to Van and nail just about every possible option you'd ever want, with any chassis design. The question really needs to come down to Reliability, Affordability, and "comfort".

I will say this, I am not a fan of Minivans because I am a Man with no children, with two working testicles and a beard. That being said, I've been in the automotive industry in various roles for quite a while, and I've worked on it all, and one and ONLY one Minivan stands out to me.

The Honda Odyssey. It is the most comfortable and reliable Minivan I've ever played around with, and almost bought a 2004 Honda Odyssey 5 weeks ago at Auction due to how nice it was for its age, and they hold their value incredibly well.

If you want a Minivan, look no further than the Honda Odyssey, it is all that and a bag of chips, and nothing out there compares to it, except for maybe one of the Ford XUV's like the Flex, and I am a very big fan of them due to their affordability, creature comforts, and the economics of the gas mileage options.

Anything made after the CJ models IS CRAP!

:Poke:

Now you're taking the purist standpoint to the extreme! lol

This is what you want to do really, and especially with a Honda Odyssey, it is above and beyond the most reliable of all options out there so buying one second hand with under 100k on it won't be a problem, it'll last you well into the 1/4 million mark with routine maintenance.

Odyssey for sure. The Sienna is coming into its own but it struggles to hold the market against the Odyssey due to the Sienna having gotten previous horrid ratings coming into the mid 2000's due to its design and "cheap" product line. Now it seems Toyota has tried to aim for a loftier more luxurious goal with the Sienna and I believe that too will miss. That being said, they have fixed some of the issues with the design of the vehicle in the past decade.

Having said that, the Odyssey never had a fault from its inception, it was just great from start until now. Hard to beat that market on that one.

TribalElder
03-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Do not buy a 99 unless you have 1600 for drilled and ported rotors. I had one and they had issues with rotor warping. Loved it other than that

ChiTown
03-04-2013, 06:17 PM
I have this one, and LOVE IT!

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/27756362+w750+st0/2011-jeep-grand-cherokee-overland-front-three-quarters-static-driver-3.jpg

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Package

Brock
03-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Do not buy a 99 unless you have 1600 for drilled and ported rotors. I had one and they had issues with rotor warping. Loved it other than that

You got fucked. Hard.

SAUTO
03-04-2013, 07:28 PM
You got fucked. Hard.

Twice
Posted via Mobile Device

Rock Action
03-04-2013, 07:37 PM

Nice!!!
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention earlier, and my apologies...
Do NOT buy a 1999-2000 Grand Cherokee. Those, especially the 99, had a shitload of electrical issues. 2002-2004 were the best, especially the latter. My experience with mine pretty much proves that.

MOhillbilly
03-04-2013, 07:53 PM
I dealt with a 99 and 02. Both were heaps of fuckall. Definitely not Road Warrior worthy.

Ace Gunner
03-04-2013, 08:07 PM

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/27756362+w750+st0/2011-jeep-grand-cherokee-overland-front-three-quarters-static-driver-3.jpg

nice house :D

Demonpenz
03-04-2013, 08:16 PM
I have a Jeep Patriot '12 and it kicks dick. Did well in the snow...inside was nice. It expensive though.

burt
03-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Wow, what a pissy little bitch, oh what a massive ground breaking revelation the Toyota is good too. Any other killer inside info for us, like don't buy a yugo?

What, used car guy didn't like me breaking everything down to god damn T with not one google search and you found a stupid sliver where you could pop up and say, nu-uh Toyota is good too! Regarding a minivan none-the-less, real big "car guy" street cred there. Eat a dick shitstain, your motivation for posting that is clear as day to me you insecure and colossal douchebag.

Pretty pathetic you get paid to know this, it's a hobby for me, but it's obvious whose superior isn't it?

Suck this pissy bitches cock, dumbass! I merely stated that the Toyota is a viable option to this statement!

I continually hear the Odyssey is by far the best choice for minivans

Look, dip shit, cum dumpster...YOU go off because I merely proposed an option??? AND NOT pissily!! Get bigger panties because yours wad up way too easily!!!

Oh, I was fine when I agreed that ALL the insights about Jeeps were good...but God forbid, I offer an altering choice(NOT IN ANY WAY KNOCKING the Honda)....mister bulging veins in the fore head, spittle flowing from his lips, has to release a vulgar laden response!! Oh , I bet the boys in the locker room love that talk before you nob on their knobs!!

Hey, your ass holiness...what is my motivation? Please, fuckstick....answer that! Oh, and your obvious superiority is ONLY known to you! YOU are the dumbass that stated that the Honda was by far the best choice....and please...attempt to defend that assinine statement!

And offering a COMPARABLE option....does not illustrate ANY insecurities!!

Cock holsters, like you, that go off on a SLIGHTLY differing opinion are why peeps are leaving this BB in droves!!! Suck my cock, pussy!

Radar Chief
03-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Now you're taking the purist standpoint to the extreme! lol

To be fair my ’60 CJ5 is actually a combination of about 3-4 different vehicles. About the only things still original to it are the frame, some of the tub, and the axle and transfer case housings. Otherwise everything else has been added long after this thing left the Willy’s factory.

HemiEd
03-05-2013, 04:12 PM

You mad?

Red And Yellow
03-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Just bought a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited love it

burt
03-05-2013, 04:16 PM
You mad?

Be nice...he juicing! ROFLROFL

I am embarrassed that I lowered my communication level so low that he might understand!:D

burt
03-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Sorry...just thought of the proper response to this. PROBABLY THE ONE THAT GETS PAID!! Look up the definitions....I am a professional....YOU are an amateur.... Let me help you...It's like the difference between Bowe and a College intramural flag football player! Who would you assume is superior???

Bugeater
03-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Woo hoo! 100 post thread!

Radar Chief
03-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Woo hoo! 100 post thread!

You're crapping in the tall cotton now.

burt
03-05-2013, 04:41 PM
You're crapping in the tall cotton now.

Which makes wiping SOOOOO much easier!

Bear
03-05-2013, 04:57 PM
You should get a Subaru.

COchief
03-05-2013, 09:48 PM
the Honda was by far the best choice....and please...attempt to defend that assinine statement!

I don't have to, because the other real car guy in this thread already did for me. What a shock that you skipped right over this reply:
Exorter175
"Odyssey for sure. The Sienna is coming into its own but it struggles to hold the market against the Odyssey due to the Sienna having gotten previous horrid ratings coming into the mid 2000's due to its design and "cheap" product line. Now it seems Toyota has tried to aim for a loftier more luxurious goal with the Sienna and I believe that too will miss. That being said, they have fixed some of the issues with the design of the vehicle in the past decade.

Having said that, the Odyssey never had a fault from its inception, it was just great from start until now. Hard to beat that market on that one."

I am a professional....

You are a professional at dumping whatever lump of shit is on your lot onto whatever idiot you can swindle into buying it, and of course all those critical warranties and undercarriage treatments. How many of those have you sold to some unsuspecting old lady that trusted your "professional opinion"? I already know the answer is "as much as my weasel ass possibly can".

You got lit up because you lurked this thread waiting for any spot to jump in and offer that "professional" opinion, which was completely wrong by the way, and you followed it up with a tear-soaked "Wah! but what do I know...Wah!" and you needed a minivan post to do it. I could taste the tears in that post and can certainly taste them now.

Thanks for sharing all of your gay fantasies with everyone here on CP, but you might want to save that for those "other" forums you frequent.

You are also rightfully angry because I am the guy that you hate, the last two vehicles I have purchased I got thousands off the listed price because I played a bunch of you clowns off each other, walked off several times. Then when I had you at your absolute lowest price, I took out $10K (you finance, I don't need to) in cash and went in and set it on his desk (less $500) and looked at him like a prick and repeatedly said "do you want it or not". They always bend over and take it, because that's what your ilk always does when I walk in and they see they are over matched in every way. Oddly (not really) just like our interaction in this thread.

Cheers Bitch!

Bugeater
03-05-2013, 11:17 PM
GOD DAMN IT IF YOU ALL DON'T STOP ARGUING I SWEAR I WILL BUY ANOTHER MINIVAN

Frosty
03-06-2013, 07:21 AM

You need this

http://www.failcar.com/images/cars/Ford-Windstar-Lifted-Mini-Van.jpg

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 07:35 AM
LMAO Why would someone build something like that? Just go buy a damn SUV for crissakes.

Radar Chief
03-06-2013, 08:00 AM
LMAO Why would someone build something like that? Just go buy a damn SUV for crissakes.

Guessing from the 14 bolt rear axle and Dana 44 front that someone had a mid ‘70’s Chevy ¾ ton 4X4 with a rusted away body and a minivan with a blown driveline. Put the two together and SHABAM!
There’s a guy running around C-Town with a Chevette body on an S-10 4X4 frame that is actually a capable little off roading rig.

SAUTO
03-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Guessing from the 14 bolt rear axle and Dana 44 front that someone had a mid ‘70’s Chevy ¾ ton 4X4 with a rusted away body and a minivan with a blown driveline. Put the two together and SHABAM!
There’s a guy running around C-Town with a Chevette body on an S-10 4X4 frame that is actually a capable little off roading rig.

there is a guy running around here with a hearse on a mid 70's 4x4 frame LOL

Frosty
03-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Back in the '80's, there was a tire shop/off-road center in Salem that a 70's era Camaro on a 4x4 frame (Bronco maybe). It sat out front and was fixed up to advertize the shop. Have no idea if it ran, though.

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
there is a guy running around here with a hearse on a mid 70's 4x4 frame LOLNow THAT would be cool.

frankotank
03-06-2013, 08:56 AM
welp I'm really late to this party....but I've had two Cherokees, a 99 and an 05. two of the best vehicles I've ever owned. pretty problem free. I like 'em. acourse there are lemons of every make and model out there, but my two were great.

Deberg_1990
03-06-2013, 08:59 AM

What say you guys?

I have a 2011 Odyssey. The first year with the redesign. We love it. PM me if you have more specific questions

Omaha
03-06-2013, 09:03 AM
So I'm thinking about breaking my streak of buying minivans at 5, and am considering a small SUV. I like the style of the 99-02 years, and they're in my price range.

Anyone have experiences with these? There seems to be a lot of them out there. I'm leaning towards one with the IL 6 cyl since it probably does better on gas and the V8 is really crammed in there and likely a bitch to work on.

Thoughts?

I love Jeeps. I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee that I haven't upgraded simply because I still love it. I might look at the 4 door Wrangler this summer, but the GCs are great.

Cons:

There is very little room in the backseat. Seriously, it's tight.

They are gas hogs. Even the 6 cyl.

COchief
03-06-2013, 09:15 AM

I'm done, give us an update. You're not working at the moment and have cash in hand correct? Have you driven or looked at anything?

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 09:15 AM
I love Jeeps. I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee that I haven't upgraded simply because I still love it. I might look at the 4 door Wrangler this summer, but the GCs are great.

Cons:

There is very little room in the backseat. Seriously, it's tight.

They are gas hogs. Even the 6 cyl.
Eh, I rarely have back seat passengers so that's not much of a concern. The gas mileage certainly is, but it's not like my Caravans have been gas misers as far as city driving goes.

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 09:23 AM
I'm done, give us an update. You're not working at the moment and have cash in hand correct? Have you driven or looked at anything?
I'm still working some, I just don't have a steady job at the moment, if that makes any sense. But yeah, I have cash, been saving since last summer. I've looked at a couple Grand Cherokees and driven one Durango so far, but I haven't been very excited to go out and do a whole lot of looking yet because the weather has been shit lately. Hopefully I can get out some this weekend.

Frosty
03-06-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm still working some, I just don't have a steady job at the moment, if that makes any sense. But yeah, I have cash, been saving since last summer. I've looked at a couple Grand Cherokees and driven one Durango so far, but I haven't been very excited to go out and do a whole lot of looking yet because the weather has been shit lately. Hopefully I can get out some this weekend.

I love car shopping when it's something newer. Car shopping in the lower end, though, totally sucks imo.

Nzoner
03-06-2013, 09:32 AM
I might look at the 4 door Wrangler this summer,

I bought this in August and love it (https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/557319_511846488831074_1550584819_n.jpg)

InChiefsHeaven
03-06-2013, 09:32 AM

I have a 2004 and it is horrible for gas...went to South Dakota and best I got was 20 MPG highway...in city it's closer to 16. Other than that, we've had no problems and have owned this one for 5 years. Only has about 100k on it now because my wife is the principal driver and she only has like a 5 mile commute.

Nzoner
03-06-2013, 09:37 AM
BTW BUG don't know if you'd be interested but within the month I'll have a '06 Hyundai Sonata for sale.Very good condition,4 door,little over 65,000 miles,ac,sunroof,power windows,cd,one owner,great on gas.

Deberg_1990
03-06-2013, 09:39 AM
I bought this in August and love it (https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/557319_511846488831074_1550584819_n.jpg)

Thats a nice rig. Been wanting one myself. Just cant bring myself to do it because of the bad gas mileage and i have a long commute.

COchief
03-06-2013, 09:44 AM

Nice looking ride, is that a factory package or did you do some aftermarket work?

Bug, I'd avoid the Durango like the plague if I were you. If you're looking at the same vintage/price range as the others the Durangos in that range are going to be real risky. If it's near or over 100K, you'll basically be flipping the coin on a daily basis to see whether your transmission will make it through the day.

Also, no better weather to test drive 4x4s than the crappy stuff.

Nzoner
03-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Nice looking ride, is that a factory package or did you do some aftermarket work?

Factory,since the pic was taken I did tint the front windows.

COchief
03-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Factory,since the pic was taken I did tint the front windows.

What package, couldn't see a badge on the side where they usually are.

edit: just realized I'm asking a dude on the internet about his "package".

Radar Chief
03-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Love the new Wrangler Unlimited, but I still need a truck bed to haul things from time to time. If Jeep built an Unlimited with a small truck bed instead of a storage space behind the rear seats I’d trade my F-150 in today.

HemiEd
03-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Thats a nice rig. Been wanting one myself. Just cant bring myself to do it because of the bad gas mileage and i have a long commute.

Don't forget the part about it not being a Honda! :D

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 10:18 AM
I love car shopping when it's something newer. Car shopping in the lower end, though, totally sucks imo.
Yes, it does. I always start off excited, but that excitement quickly turns into frustration with the idiot private sellers and sketchy car dealers. Then it turns into outright fear when you start researching things and hearing the horror stories people have had with what you're considering buying. It gets to a point where you just want to buy something and get it over with.

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 10:22 AM
BTW BUG don't know if you'd be interested but within the month I'll have a '06 Hyundai Sonata for sale.Very good condition,4 door,little over 65,000 miles,ac,sunroof,power windows,cd,one owner,great on gas.
Appreciate that but I can't do a car. It's either gotta be another minivan or SUV.

Bug, I'd avoid the Durango like the plague if I were you. If you're looking at the same vintage/price range as the others the Durangos in that range are going to be real risky. If it's near or over 100K, you'll basically be flipping the coin on a daily basis to see whether your transmission will make it through the day.

Also, no better weather to test drive 4x4s than the crappy stuff.
Yeah, I'm real apprehensive about the Durango as far as reliability, but I'm extremely comfortable in them and I love the styling. I'd have to have $2,000 set aside for when (not if) the transmission goes.

Unfortunately the crap we have now is just windy and cold, no snow.

COchief
03-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Bug, did this guy drop his price?

Even though it's a small dealer, he has glowing reviews and quite a few on cars.com.

This looks like a good ride, you're getting a big discount due to the stick. Looks like he tagged something with the front bumper, but that piece that is missing is about as strong as saran wrap so I wouldn't worry too much.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=110852285&listingRecNum=21&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26alMdId%3D22330%26alMdId%3D21761%26mkId%3D20077%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D22330% 26mdId%3D21761%26rd%3D150%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-prcId%26zc%3D68114%26prcId%3D28579%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-2-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26alM kId%3D20077%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

Also, if this is still available, I would be tempted to drive to Omaha, kick you in the nuts and steal your money and leave it in the driveway for you.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3549024684.html

I get the appeal of the Durango and like them too, but listen to Nancy "just say no".

Deberg_1990
03-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Don't forget the part about it not being a Honda! :D

heh, contrary to popular belief, Honda is not the only brand ive ever owned. : )

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Bug, did this guy drop his price?

Even though it's a small dealer, he has glowing reviews and quite a few on cars.com.

This looks like a good ride, you're getting a big discount due to the stick. Looks like he tagged something with the front bumper, but that piece that is missing is about as strong as saran wrap so I wouldn't worry too much.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=110852285&listingRecNum=21&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26alMdId%3D22330%26alMdId%3D21761%26mkId%3D20077%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D22330% 26mdId%3D21761%26rd%3D150%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-prcId%26zc%3D68114%26prcId%3D28579%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-2-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26alM kId%3D20077%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

Also, if this is still available, I would be tempted to drive to Omaha, kick you in the nuts and steal your money and leave it in the driveway for you.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3549024684.html

I get the appeal of the Durango and like them too, but listen to Nancy "just say no".
I think that's still the same price on the Xterra, I suppose I should head back down there and take a closer look at it. He did brag about his internet reviews when I was down there last week but something about him just rubbed me the wrong way.

I have not seen that 4runner, did a search for them a while back and they were all waaay out of my price range. That looks like a damn good deal, almost too good. I wouldn't be able to get to Lincoln until tomorrow though, I bet it doesn't last too long.

HemiEd
03-06-2013, 10:44 AM
heh, contrary to popular belief, Honda is not the only brand ive ever owned. : )

Well that is a given, they have only been importing cars to the U.S. for about 40 years you old fart. :D

The first one I saw was chain driven over on Guam in 1969, but they wouldn't let them import those.

COchief
03-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I think that's still the same price on the Xterra, I suppose I should head back down there and take a closer look at it. He did brag about his internet reviews when I was down there last week but something about him just rubbed me the wrong way.

I have not seen that 4runner, did a search for them a while back and they were all waaay out of my price range. That looks like a damn good deal, almost too good. I wouldn't be able to get to Lincoln until tomorrow though, I bet it doesn't last too long.

I know I've been pushing the Nissans, but you can safely go back to 95-96 on a clean 4runner that is well maintained and sub 150K miles with virtually no problems.

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Damn, I just noticed that ad for the 4runner is dated Feb 1. No way it hasn't sold yet. Phone goes straight to voicemail, I bet the douche just didn't bother pulling his ad down. That shit pisses me off.

bevischief
03-06-2013, 10:50 AM
I have a 2011 Odyssey. The first year with the redesign. We love it. PM me if you have more specific questions

Highlander. My wife loved it till she hit a deer at 75 mph. Now she is driving 2013 Rav4.

kaplin42
03-06-2013, 10:52 AM

/jeep wave

Nice rig man.

I bought mine in May last year.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w461/ZombieClownZ/Jeep%20n%20Trails/photobucket-1553-1338667883852.jpg

COchief
03-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Damn, I just noticed that ad for the 4runner is dated Feb 1. No way it hasn't sold yet. Phone goes straight to voicemail, I bet the douche just didn't bother pulling his ad down. That shit pisses me off.

Yeah, that's that why I said "if". You never know, leave a vmail.

Also Xterra guy has this, might want to visit him again.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=104808097&listingRecNum=0&criteria=prMx%3D6000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20088%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D20482%26rd%3D10 0%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D68114%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp %3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

Might want to call this guy for details, couldn't find any specifics on his shit site.
http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3634248003.html

Frosty
03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
COchief is good at spending other people's money.

:D

kaplin42
03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Love the new Wrangler Unlimited, but I still need a truck bed to haul things from time to time. If Jeep built an Unlimited with a small truck bed instead of a storage space behind the rear seats I’d trade my F-150 in today.

You can put a tow package on a Jeep if that's what you like. and the seats do fold down. I can understand though that might still not meet your needs.

I have to say though, now that I'm a Jeep owner, I don't think I will ever own anything else. Just too much fun driving one.

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 11:06 AM

:D
LMAO I'm actually surprised at some of the stuff he's finding. Like I said though, I kind of gave up on the 4runners early on. I can't believe I missed that silver one when I was down there. It was fucking cold that day though and I didn't spend a whole lot of time down there.

bevischief
03-06-2013, 11:08 AM
4runners are nice too.

kaplin42
03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
4runners are nice too.

Do they still make them?

COchief
03-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Ha, it really is that I have spent a ton of time researching this exact vehicle range and feel a little less dorky if I can actually help someone out. Take this as you will, but when any of my friends decide to go with something new, I get the "begin the hunt" email.

Bug, when searching CL for 4runners, you have to search 4runner and 4 runner as people list them both ways and due to CLs garbage search you'll miss some.

burt
03-06-2013, 11:14 AM

What say you guys?

The Sienna comes in AWD. And according to Edmunds, "When it comes to family haulers, nothing beats a minivan. And when it comes to minivans, it's tough to beat the 2013 Toyota Sienna"

And New cars.com says..."The Toyota Sienna has less seating than the Honda Odyssey, making the Honda Odyssey the better choice, if you need to chauffeur many passengers. You'll be able to fit about the same amount of groceries in the Toyota Sienna as you will in the Honda Odyssey." But the Odyssey does NOT come in AWD!

The Highlander is a great value. NOT overly rugged though.

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Ha, it really is that I have spent a ton of time researching this exact vehicle range and feel a little less dorky if I can actually help someone out. Take this as you will, but when any of my friends decide to go with something new, I get the "begin the hunt" email.

Bug, when searching CL for 4runners, you have to search 4runner and 4 runner as people list them both ways and due to CLs garbage search you'll miss some.
The CL search does suck but it doesn't help when these idiot sellers that I alluded to earlier don't know how to properly advertise their vehicles. I get annoyed when I have to call or email them for basic shit like engine type or mileage. CL really should have a tutorial for these morons, but they probably wouldn't use it anyway.

COchief
03-06-2013, 11:23 AM
The CL search does suck but it doesn't help when these idiot sellers that I alluded to earlier don't know how to properly advertise their vehicles. I get annoyed when I have to call or email them for basic shit like engine type or mileage. CL really should have a tutorial for these morons, but they probably wouldn't use it anyway.

True, but the kicker is some of those idiots are 60 year old men that have been wiping their car down with a diaper every week. I called on a MR-2 out of the newspaper a few years back when online ads had already taken over. The guy was a moron, but damn that thing was mint, drove it for a summer and re-sold to the first guy that looked for a $2k profit.

The guy you want to find probably buys a new car every 15 years and has no idea what he is doing, can suck on the surface, but a call sometimes can find you a gem.

burt
03-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Do they still make them?

Yes.

Frosty
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM

Just giving shit. I do the same thing. I love car shopping when it isn't me paying for the car.

When I was shopping last year, I thought about stating a CL moron thread. I couldn't believe what people do. Stuff like ads with a title like "1992 Honda" that doesn't have a picture or tell you what model it is. A lot of them don't tell you what transmission the car has.

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM
True, but the kicker is some of those idiots are 60 year old men that have been wiping their car down with a diaper every week. I called on a MR-2 out of the newspaper a few years back when online ads had already taken over. The guy was a moron, but damn that thing was mint, drove it for a summer and re-sold to the first guy that looked for a $2k profit.

The guy you want to find probably buys a new car every 15 years and has no idea what he is doing, can suck on the surface, but a call sometimes can find you a gem.
Heh, I suppose that's true. I have a job scheduled for this afternoon but I'm going to try to get down and check out that 4runner before it gets dark out. Maybe I'll get a better impression of the place this time.

bevischief
03-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Do they still make them?

Yes they do but the are bigger now.

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 11:34 AM
When I was shopping last year, I thought about stating a CL moron thread. I couldn't believe what people do. Stuff like ads with a title like "1992 Honda" that doesn't have a picture or tell you what model it is. A lot of them don't tell you what transmission the car has.
I always click "has image" when I do searches. If you can't even bother to take the time to upload a picture then I'm going to move on.

I saw one a while back where the seller gave a brief one sentence description, then wrote an entire paragraph of all the things he'd be willing to trade the vehicle for.

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 11:39 AM
On a side note, facebook really creeps me out at times. Right after talking about these on here, I go to my fb page and I see this ad:

Search on Cars.com (https://www.facebook.com/ajax/emu/end.php?eid=5852282752596538856.6007762668177.AQL7LYhNHsB41QrDp2_f2KryuV-tEF7egcQLPaiitJaJzp3DQaeDqxa3cELnl03uzqS4k5A8BAlnRs8rrG9NMaSDMY3EWqkVWfCz7_zRnQ_sByNstXJ75jI65Ay_Pia 5c6uOSZeh2ZELTkN0sp2BJS7oJ9C1YqB1qk9fDVjkHYrKAVP4Y23R9Dc3tVrQbzjg1tf_4OyGSkCuac4mMuItTgz3WipetLjgWtZ KwMOyRvZwr-KYWh__S-UA1SOuQsb2K5sd0qG4qV-uwjwqXhfhKcJd41cRo5uzjW5XL3tj6gNp10hvJJptFD295730posZqYc5M05TzB5rP695J-e9yj-5LcAJe1_8XEVCzhF8q9Bv4WHJDPkO0ivyCM443g2Du8f4IpU5eGZ06TI8yLyuSXYvQzbb_kBN_NkmVf_uXxf8nkYKmBu770lz-SlIdZ7EWD1rbsqPPQDTRkDjYCGkBaW7ywWE-0Q-ctf_TIa9G5DbC-_bbjptwNnTDdW6c4YIxi9sX6bretklxUishYUwo3-pxXWhbm9crcE6VKxGcNEvdfRVbKMEWq6d1PLxBKJdj4J9ySmkVluPZeqsmY83NCgfvg0B50TY1nlXKSecRkXW5LLPrH7-7fIlQf4HTVhZIhVfks5uQ1KPNki63rsNDRTJoiLABxdZbPalaJAa4mKSmsBcb6rCaj0BGYXDKA5QfKcr-f-y8YojW4W__0VVpFx5kQcDwnes5PkRHLDCWSzsqKkJ95cNHhikboloZbQzawq9UH4Ag2Oz21g7Bjn7xrUD9tDvVQkFbzIWWC02JVU buYtfWcuNZhJcgvzyJrgvRcukBlJJu3S0j3-T1Hk6QP7mom5LdIwhifbeYh7cnUn5ZqDBRWvTvvxkOxV3l7gnN5q5X3oyAv0M6ckyH6nYV-va4As5yd4bYX8pXjC3nEgpv1-8-XMjzK77nXfYlZTWwq4kvjEpy9yiOAIUR9KP886Ua96nX9NOHA6SLCD3DTOG6CbzEd6iM1aBAbpkDf8Rl8sa6eR08FMx7SO9CS7dk Z-gEy6KX7jJ7o0RUY2nFOuPXSHkP0n7kzLE5K-b-0L7d8Kf5RWpkMJMC9APM1j9xqLEGcjG2Jy-Yx-JKap-xg65K5MGjBNpHYPKEYV_PA1JY2lM2fPpRJp8wITT72QpnqoPz9nvHEOp8MFuWMlY3ve2ltVgJaGVS1k_y7DULd0FsXtnw77UtY1k nM6DK0tuy0L2T9pQ8XK9u9pdtK-gCCX-nI-fq-xfwcIojocVIJ7lPC5Xm3QRP_1TU06cPjMTj9UyT8lvgpsBZdoAS8TH5Ot3CkaAxSjdP4JC1it8fNHQxvYJlB5uO5z70zHcLzrw_k SJoBVBM31T-GtQf263DoX22w&f=0&ui=6007762668177-id_51377c280aa193952293151&en=1&a=0&sig=107322)
https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQApA23tItFKUkpF&w=110&h=80&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.ny.us.criteo.net%2Fhttp%2F5.8%2F.8oOmTRS7Y66uDn4t_QsOWC4Y%2F3993%2Fimages.ca rs.com%2Fphototab%2FMDC%2F48%2F457848%2F794222187.jpg&rk=474445595912814&fi=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-creative-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhads-ak-prn1%2Fs110x80%2F735335_6007762666577_37105_n.jpg (https://www.facebook.com/ajax/emu/end.php?eid=5852282752596538856.6007762668177.AQL7LYhNHsB41QrDp2_f2KryuV-tEF7egcQLPaiitJaJzp3DQaeDqxa3cELnl03uzqS4k5A8BAlnRs8rrG9NMaSDMY3EWqkVWfCz7_zRnQ_sByNstXJ75jI65Ay_Pia 5c6uOSZeh2ZELTkN0sp2BJS7oJ9C1YqB1qk9fDVjkHYrKAVP4Y23R9Dc3tVrQbzjg1tf_4OyGSkCuac4mMuItTgz3WipetLjgWtZ KwMOyRvZwr-KYWh__S-UA1SOuQsb2K5sd0qG4qV-uwjwqXhfhKcJd41cRo5uzjW5XL3tj6gNp10hvJJptFD295730posZqYc5M05TzB5rP695J-e9yj-5LcAJe1_8XEVCzhF8q9Bv4WHJDPkO0ivyCM443g2Du8f4IpU5eGZ06TI8yLyuSXYvQzbb_kBN_NkmVf_uXxf8nkYKmBu770lz-SlIdZ7EWD1rbsqPPQDTRkDjYCGkBaW7ywWE-0Q-ctf_TIa9G5DbC-_bbjptwNnTDdW6c4YIxi9sX6bretklxUishYUwo3-pxXWhbm9crcE6VKxGcNEvdfRVbKMEWq6d1PLxBKJdj4J9ySmkVluPZeqsmY83NCgfvg0B50TY1nlXKSecRkXW5LLPrH7-7fIlQf4HTVhZIhVfks5uQ1KPNki63rsNDRTJoiLABxdZbPalaJAa4mKSmsBcb6rCaj0BGYXDKA5QfKcr-f-y8YojW4W__0VVpFx5kQcDwnes5PkRHLDCWSzsqKkJ95cNHhikboloZbQzawq9UH4Ag2Oz21g7Bjn7xrUD9tDvVQkFbzIWWC02JVU buYtfWcuNZhJcgvzyJrgvRcukBlJJu3S0j3-T1Hk6QP7mom5LdIwhifbeYh7cnUn5ZqDBRWvTvvxkOxV3l7gnN5q5X3oyAv0M6ckyH6nYV-va4As5yd4bYX8pXjC3nEgpv1-8-XMjzK77nXfYlZTWwq4kvjEpy9yiOAIUR9KP886Ua96nX9NOHA6SLCD3DTOG6CbzEd6iM1aBAbpkDf8Rl8sa6eR08FMx7SO9CS7dk Z-gEy6KX7jJ7o0RUY2nFOuPXSHkP0n7kzLE5K-b-0L7d8Kf5RWpkMJMC9APM1j9xqLEGcjG2Jy-Yx-JKap-xg65K5MGjBNpHYPKEYV_PA1JY2lM2fPpRJp8wITT72QpnqoPz9nvHEOp8MFuWMlY3ve2ltVgJaGVS1k_y7DULd0FsXtnw77UtY1k nM6DK0tuy0L2T9pQ8XK9u9pdtK-gCCX-nI-fq-xfwcIojocVIJ7lPC5Xm3QRP_1TU06cPjMTj9UyT8lvgpsBZdoAS8TH5Ot3CkaAxSjdP4JC1it8fNHQxvYJlB5uO5z70zHcLzrw_k SJoBVBM31T-GtQf263DoX22w&f=1&ui=6007762668177-id_51377c280aa193952293151&en=1&a=0&sig=97963)
Get great deals on a 2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD. (https://www.facebook.com/ajax/emu/end.php?eid=5852282752596538856.6007762668177.AQL7LYhNHsB41QrDp2_f2KryuV-tEF7egcQLPaiitJaJzp3DQaeDqxa3cELnl03uzqS4k5A8BAlnRs8rrG9NMaSDMY3EWqkVWfCz7_zRnQ_sByNstXJ75jI65Ay_Pia 5c6uOSZeh2ZELTkN0sp2BJS7oJ9C1YqB1qk9fDVjkHYrKAVP4Y23R9Dc3tVrQbzjg1tf_4OyGSkCuac4mMuItTgz3WipetLjgWtZ KwMOyRvZwr-KYWh__S-UA1SOuQsb2K5sd0qG4qV-uwjwqXhfhKcJd41cRo5uzjW5XL3tj6gNp10hvJJptFD295730posZqYc5M05TzB5rP695J-e9yj-5LcAJe1_8XEVCzhF8q9Bv4WHJDPkO0ivyCM443g2Du8f4IpU5eGZ06TI8yLyuSXYvQzbb_kBN_NkmVf_uXxf8nkYKmBu770lz-SlIdZ7EWD1rbsqPPQDTRkDjYCGkBaW7ywWE-0Q-ctf_TIa9G5DbC-_bbjptwNnTDdW6c4YIxi9sX6bretklxUishYUwo3-pxXWhbm9crcE6VKxGcNEvdfRVbKMEWq6d1PLxBKJdj4J9ySmkVluPZeqsmY83NCgfvg0B50TY1nlXKSecRkXW5LLPrH7-7fIlQf4HTVhZIhVfks5uQ1KPNki63rsNDRTJoiLABxdZbPalaJAa4mKSmsBcb6rCaj0BGYXDKA5QfKcr-f-y8YojW4W__0VVpFx5kQcDwnes5PkRHLDCWSzsqKkJ95cNHhikboloZbQzawq9UH4Ag2Oz21g7Bjn7xrUD9tDvVQkFbzIWWC02JVU buYtfWcuNZhJcgvzyJrgvRcukBlJJu3S0j3-T1Hk6QP7mom5LdIwhifbeYh7cnUn5ZqDBRWvTvvxkOxV3l7gnN5q5X3oyAv0M6ckyH6nYV-va4As5yd4bYX8pXjC3nEgpv1-8-XMjzK77nXfYlZTWwq4kvjEpy9yiOAIUR9KP886Ua96nX9NOHA6SLCD3DTOG6CbzEd6iM1aBAbpkDf8Rl8sa6eR08FMx7SO9CS7dk Z-gEy6KX7jJ7o0RUY2nFOuPXSHkP0n7kzLE5K-b-0L7d8Kf5RWpkMJMC9APM1j9xqLEGcjG2Jy-Yx-JKap-xg65K5MGjBNpHYPKEYV_PA1JY2lM2fPpRJp8wITT72QpnqoPz9nvHEOp8MFuWMlY3ve2ltVgJaGVS1k_y7DULd0FsXtnw77UtY1k nM6DK0tuy0L2T9pQ8XK9u9pdtK-gCCX-nI-fq-xfwcIojocVIJ7lPC5Xm3QRP_1TU06cPjMTj9UyT8lvgpsBZdoAS8TH5Ot3CkaAxSjdP4JC1it8fNHQxvYJlB5uO5z70zHcLzrw_k SJoBVBM31T-GtQf263DoX22w&f=1&ui=6007762668177-id_51377c280aa193952293151&en=1&a=0&sig=127166)

142,819 people like Cars.com (https://www.facebook.com/ajax/emu/end.php?eid=5852282752596538856.6007762668177.AQL7LYhNHsB41QrDp2_f2KryuV-tEF7egcQLPaiitJaJzp3DQaeDqxa3cELnl03uzqS4k5A8BAlnRs8rrG9NMaSDMY3EWqkVWfCz7_zRnQ_sByNstXJ75jI65Ay_Pia 5c6uOSZeh2ZELTkN0sp2BJS7oJ9C1YqB1qk9fDVjkHYrKAVP4Y23R9Dc3tVrQbzjg1tf_4OyGSkCuac4mMuItTgz3WipetLjgWtZ KwMOyRvZwr-KYWh__S-UA1SOuQsb2K5sd0qG4qV-uwjwqXhfhKcJd41cRo5uzjW5XL3tj6gNp10hvJJptFD295730posZqYc5M05TzB5rP695J-e9yj-5LcAJe1_8XEVCzhF8q9Bv4WHJDPkO0ivyCM443g2Du8f4IpU5eGZ06TI8yLyuSXYvQzbb_kBN_NkmVf_uXxf8nkYKmBu770lz-SlIdZ7EWD1rbsqPPQDTRkDjYCGkBaW7ywWE-0Q-ctf_TIa9G5DbC-_bbjptwNnTDdW6c4YIxi9sX6bretklxUishYUwo3-pxXWhbm9crcE6VKxGcNEvdfRVbKMEWq6d1PLxBKJdj4J9ySmkVluPZeqsmY83NCgfvg0B50TY1nlXKSecRkXW5LLPrH7-7fIlQf4HTVhZIhVfks5uQ1KPNki63rsNDRTJoiLABxdZbPalaJAa4mKSmsBcb6rCaj0BGYXDKA5QfKcr-f-y8YojW4W__0VVpFx5kQcDwnes5PkRHLDCWSzsqKkJ95cNHhikboloZbQzawq9UH4Ag2Oz21g7Bjn7xrUD9tDvVQkFbzIWWC02JVU buYtfWcuNZhJcgvzyJrgvRcukBlJJu3S0j3-T1Hk6QP7mom5LdIwhifbeYh7cnUn5ZqDBRWvTvvxkOxV3l7gnN5q5X3oyAv0M6ckyH6nYV-va4As5yd4bYX8pXjC3nEgpv1-8-XMjzK77nXfYlZTWwq4kvjEpy9yiOAIUR9KP886Ua96nX9NOHA6SLCD3DTOG6CbzEd6iM1aBAbpkDf8Rl8sa6eR08FMx7SO9CS7dk Z-gEy6KX7jJ7o0RUY2nFOuPXSHkP0n7kzLE5K-b-0L7d8Kf5RWpkMJMC9APM1j9xqLEGcjG2Jy-Yx-JKap-xg65K5MGjBNpHYPKEYV_PA1JY2lM2fPpRJp8wITT72QpnqoPz9nvHEOp8MFuWMlY3ve2ltVgJaGVS1k_y7DULd0FsXtnw77UtY1k nM6DK0tuy0L2T9pQ8XK9u9pdtK-gCCX-nI-fq-xfwcIojocVIJ7lPC5Xm3QRP_1TU06cPjMTj9UyT8lvgpsBZdoAS8TH5Ot3CkaAxSjdP4JC1it8fNHQxvYJlB5uO5z70zHcLzrw_k SJoBVBM31T-GtQf263DoX22w&f=1&ui=6007762668177-id_51377c280aa193952293151&en=fad_fanpageclick&ed=268558512343&a=0&mac=AQKhOF6L-6uzzAq6&sig=119053).

COchief
03-06-2013, 11:39 AM
I always click "has image" when I do searches. If you can't even bother to take the time to upload a picture then I'm going to move on.

I saw one a while back where the seller gave a brief one sentence description, then wrote an entire paragraph of all the things he'd be willing to trade the vehicle for.

Last point on this:

-Who would you buy a car from if you had your choice of previous owners? (for me 60-80 year old person)

-How crappy is their ad likely to be? (pretty damn crappy)

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 11:45 AM
That's a damn good point.

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 11:49 AM
Here's an example...my god.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3662760159.html

COchief
03-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Here's an example...my god.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3662760159.html

That is exactly what I am talking about, that might be some confused 70 year old. Once he puts pics up (again an old person would probably struggle with this) and some details that could be gone in a second, but you can beat those guys to the punch if you jump on it and call before they do.

Obviously could be a huge piece of crap too though.

Bugeater
03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
That is exactly what I am talking about, that might be some confused 70 year old. Once he puts pics up (again an old person would probably struggle with this) and some details that could be gone in a second, but you can beat those guys to the punch if you jump on it and call before they do.

Obviously could be a huge piece of crap too though.
If it was closer I'd probably call and check it out when I head out, but it's clear on the other side of town. If that ad is still up tomorrow morning I may look into it just for fun.

Funny thing is that's what we had to deal with in the old days of the newspaper want ads, the internet has spoiled us and we want to find the perfect vehicle without ever leaving our desks.

Nzoner
03-07-2013, 07:26 AM
What package, couldn't see a badge on the side where they usually are.

edit: just realized I'm asking a dude on the internet about his "package".

Sorry man been busy with work,it's called the Altitude edition has inside red stitching of the word jeep in the seats,black wheels and a design on the front hood which I'm not overly fond of but others have said they like it a lot.

Bugeater
03-15-2013, 07:04 AM
Finally made my move yesterday. I had gotten pretty frustrated over the weekend seeing the same old overpriced turds posted over and over again in Omaha and started checking other cities some more. So Monday night I'm looking at Des Moines Craigslist, and I find what appears to be a pretty nice privately owned Grand Cherokee that has Bellevue, NE listed in the location. It has exactly what I'm looking for, 6 cyl, cloth interior, and not black and they were asking $5850, right in my price range. Plus the transmission had already been rebuilt in it which is a huge plus. While it's not unusual to see vehicles advertised in multiple cities, it damn sure is to see one listed only in another city. Thought maybe I had missed it in the Omaha CL, but double-checked and it wasn't there.

Kind of a WTF moment for sure, but then I thought about what COchief had said about fuckups like that...it's probably someone older and confused about what exactly they were doing. I decided to let it sit for a couple days and see if anything changed, my thinking was they weren't likely going to get many, if any, calls for it seeing that they had it listed in the wrong city, and they may take any offers they get for it seriously and I could get it for an even better price.

So I watched the thing like a hawk, waiting to see if they realized their fuckup and the ad disappeared and reappeared in Omaha. As of yesterday morning, nothing had changed. I decide it's time to make my move. I call the guy, arranged to meet him, and sure enough, it was an older retired guy. He was nice as hell, original owner, had every freaking service record going back to the first oil change. He had just put new brakes, tires and battery in it last fall. It had always been garaged, never abused. I took it for a ride and it ran & drove perfect. Only issues I could find were a few very minor cosmetic things. I did throw him the $5k offer on the spot, but after some thought he declined it. I decided that I wasn't going to let a few hundred bucks get between me and a one-owner creampuff, and we eventually settled on $5400.

Here's my new baby, I freaking love it.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/280sh3k.jpg

Also, a big thank you to everyone who gave input in this thread. This place is better than Consumer Reports. Nearly everything that was mentioned I saw at one point or another.

SAUTO
03-15-2013, 07:06 AM
hell it even has some good american made tires on it...

Bugeater
03-15-2013, 07:08 AM
hell it even has some good american made tires on it...
Yep, Cooper Discoverers...same thing I have on my Dakota.

Buck
03-15-2013, 07:30 AM
Nice job Bug.

RIP minivan. I barely knew you.

Buck
03-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Do you still carry all that shit around in your vehicle for work?

Radar Chief
03-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the Jeeping brotherhood. :toast:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ibiy3c.gif

Bugeater
03-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Do you still carry all that shit around in your vehicle for work?
Well, seeing that I am not currently employed, the answer would be no. But that shit ain't happening again. I'll put my tools and basic things in it but I'm not doing what I did at my previous job.

Deberg_1990
03-15-2013, 08:11 AM
congrats Bug. Now go take it off some sweet jumps.

Buck
03-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Well, seeing that I am not currently employed, the answer would be no. But that shit ain't happening again. I'll put my tools and basic things in it but I'm not doing what I did at my previous job.

Cool. Seems like it would wear on the suspension.

Bugeater
03-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Cool. Seems like it would wear on the suspension.
Nah, nothing I hauled around was all that heavy. A lot of wear and tear on the interior though, which I wasn't all that concerned with my van. The most annoying thing was having to spend 45 minutes cleaning all the shit out if I needed it for personal use.

Bugeater
03-15-2013, 08:48 AM
congrats Bug. Now go take it off some sweet jumps.
Heh, I was tempted to have some fun on these snow piles I saw in a nearby shopping center this morning. :evil:

http://oi45.tinypic.com/2s7uv5v.jpg

stevieray
03-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Nice bug! you won't be disappointed...

welcome to the Jeep family!

:rockon:

Radar Chief
03-15-2013, 10:09 AM
So, tell us more. We know it’s got the 4.0 HO, how about the transmission? Transfer case (part time/full time)? Axles, gear ratio? You can get away with not knowing these things as a Jeep nOOb but you’ve got your homework assignment. ;)

Bugeater
03-15-2013, 10:12 AM
4 speed slushbox for the tranny, it has Selec-trac which has full and part-time 4wd, plus a 4 low setting. Axles...gear ratios...omg I don't know those lol.

COchief
03-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Well done, that should be a very solid vehicle. Glad my odd tip helped, it's the little things that sometimes help you find a jem.

Bet you're glad the hunt is over, that by itself can get exhausting.

stevieray
03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
4 speed slushbox for the tranny, it has Selec-trac which has full and part-time 4wd, plus a 4 low setting. Axles...gear ratios...omg I don't know those lol.
4 low feels like it will climb a tree.

SAUTO
03-15-2013, 10:30 AM
damn no 2wd position? probably get about 17 MPG

Frosty
03-15-2013, 10:36 AM

Selec-trac has a 2wd drive option. The full time 4wd option is nice on those days that it's slick in spots. You just put it in full time and forget it. You don't have to keep shifting in and out of 4wd like a part time system.

I had it in my XJ and it's still my favorite system from any of the others I've had.

Bugeater
03-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Well done, that should be a very solid vehicle. Glad my odd tip helped, it's the little things that sometimes help you find a jem.

Bet you're glad the hunt is over, that by itself can get exhausting.
Yeah, I am glad it's over. The car dealers are so damn annoying, they clog up Craigslist with obnoxious ads for their overpriced turds and they repost them several times a day every damn day. Got really tired of constantly sifting through all that shit.

That silver Xterra did end up selling over the weekend which surprised me. It just seemed like it had seen its fair share of abuse and it was going to need new tires fairly soon as well. I suppose that's why it was priced where it was at.

Radar Chief
03-15-2013, 12:15 PM

Unit bearing front end, spinning that whole assembly is costing MPG even when it isn’t engaged.
There are conversions to install manual lock out hubs but they’re expensive and not available for every model.

burt
03-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I am glad it's over. The car dealers are so damn annoying,

Gee...Thanks Bug!! LOL.. Congrats.

BlackHelicopters
03-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Had a Jeep product once. ONCE.

Demonpenz
03-15-2013, 04:09 PM
that is a nice ride.

SAUTO
03-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Unit bearing front end, spinning that whole assembly is costing MPG even when it isn’t engaged.
There are conversions to install manual lock out hubs but they’re expensive and not available for every model.

Lol. I know all of this. I own a 2003 and have worked on a shit ton of them. You still get better mileage out of one you can put in 2wd rather than one that is full time 4wd.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Selec-trac has a 2wd drive option. The full time 4wd option is nice on those days that it's slick in spots. You just put it in full time and forget it. You don't have to keep shifting in and out of 4wd like a part time system.

I had it in my XJ and it's still my favorite system from any of the others I've had.
Yeah didn't realize that's what they call the system that has 2wd settings.
Posted via Mobile Device