PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs can rescind the tag on Albert

FRCDFED
03-05-2013, 09:22 AM
I thought I saw a comment yesterday that Albert could hold out if he thought there was a chance they were going to have him play guard. I am in no way condoning that; however, it appears from this article that it would be in his best interest to sign his tender and show up.

13 fewer tags than last year

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2013, 8:39 AM EST

The dust has settled on the franchise-tag designation period. Unlike last year, when 21 tags flew, only three were applied in 2013.

So what gives?

The easy explanation is that this year’s crop of players eligible for the tag wasn’t as good as last year’s. But it’s likely more complicated than that.

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco would have been this year’s Drew Brees, if the Ravens had been willing or able to carry his exclusive franchise tender, like the Saints did last year with Brees. These deals get done on a deadline basis, and for the Ravens the real deadline was having to choose between two equally bad evils: more than $19 million under the exclusive tag or nearly $15 million under the non-exclusive tag, along with an opportunity for the Browns to try to steal the Super Bowl MVP.

The Titans got cold feet regarding the possibility of using the franchise tag on tight end Jared Cook. or he would have been No. 9. If he’d signed the offer and if he’d then won the inevitable grievance arguing that he’s a receiver, the Titans would have been paying Cook more in 2013 than they’ll be paying Chris Johnson.

The Titans could have instead used the tag on kicker Rob Bironas. Last year, the tag was applied to six punter/kickers. But with the market for kickers and punters expected to be soft this year, teams other than the Colts apparently opted not to invest nearly $3 million in a veteran, given that low-cost options like Blair Walsh and Greg Zeuerlein were floating in last year’s draft pool.

The biggest factor for the lack of tags could have been the salary cap. Even though the franchise tenders are now based on the five-year average cap percentage consumed by the five highest-paid players at each position, it becomes more difficult to give one large chunk of cap space to one player at a time when the total cap grew by only 0.5 percent in 2012 and 1.9 percent in 2013. For too many teams, the upward pressure of salary increases coupled with a relatively static total spending limit has made eight-figure salaries for non-superstar players a luxury that no longer can be afforded.

It should be no surprise, for example, that the Patriots didn’t use it. At a time when quarterback Tom Brady’s cap number will be $13.8 million, how could they justify tying up $10.8 million in cornerback Aqib Talib or $9.8 million in tackle Sebastian Vollmer or $11.4 million in receiver Wes Welker?

The next question is whether the one-year franchise tenders will become long-term deals. Teams have until July 15 to make that transformation.

If not, the players who have received the franchise tenders but who won’t be signing them any time soon need to worry about something that hasn’t happened in eight years: A team rescinding the tag.

Chiefs left tackle Branden Albert should be specifically concerned about that. After all, his new head coach, Andy Reid, did it twice in Philly, to defensive tackle Corey Simon in 2005 and to linebacker Jeremiah Trotter three years earlier. If/when the Chiefs take left tackle Luke Joeckel with the first pick in the 2013 draft, Albert may want to quickly put pen to paper for his $9.828 million salary, or the chance to do so may permanently evaporate.

Then, he would end up on the open market in May, long after the big money has flowed for the year.

Given the new realities of a cap-strapped NFL, that’s a real concern that every franchise player should now have.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Fuck Mike Florio for bringing this stupid shit up.

FRCDFED
03-05-2013, 09:25 AM
**** Mike Florio for bringing this stupid shit up.

ROFL yeah I'm waiting for the fire storm on this one. Some on here really take things and just go ape shit crazy.

KC_Lee
03-05-2013, 09:28 AM
If/when the Chiefs take left tackle Luke Joeckel with the first pick in the 2013 draft, Albert may want to quickly put pen to paper for his $9.828 million salary, or the chance to do so may permanently evaporate.

Then, he would end up on the open market in May, long after the big money has flowed for the year.

Given the new realities of a cap-strapped NFL, that’s a real concern that every franchise player should now have.

Yes, because teams that have the first overall pick should use it as leverage over a tagged player. Yes that's the formula for a winning team.

WV
03-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Too much is being made out of Alberts tag. Two things are likely, they'll make him play out the tag as a "show me" year or they will negotiate a long term deal.
All this BS about his back is just that....BS.

KC_Lee
03-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Too much is being made out of Alberts tag. Two things are likely, they'll make him play out the tag as a "show me" year or they will negotiate a long term deal.
All this BS about his back is just that....BS.

I think you're right on the "show me" year. If the team has questions regarding Albert's back but not enough to let him walk then the franchise tag is a perfect way to go.

This article just proves that most "experts" are cannot fathom the Chiefs taking anything other than a LT at 1.1.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Don't need a QB, they traded for one, draft a tackle. Don't need a tackle, they tagged theirs, draft another one anyway. /media

WV
03-05-2013, 09:43 AM
I think you're right on the "show me" year. If the team has questions regarding Albert's back but not enough to let him walk then the franchise tag is a perfect way to go.

This article just proves that most "experts" are cannot fathom the Chiefs taking anything other than a LT at 1.1.

I think it comes down to money (as always). Albert has proven he's a very good LT, it's up to him and his agent to now prove and/or convince Reid and Co. how much he's worth.

KC_Lee
03-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Don't need a QB, they traded for one, draft a tackle. Don't need a tackle, they tagged theirs, draft another one anyway. /media

Really, really sad....

Most up to date mock on NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/bucky-brooks/165257

Pick No. 1 Eric Fisher

Andy Reid is poised to orchestrate a quick turnaround in Kansas City, between the pending arrival of Alex Smith and the securing of Dwayne Bowe and Branden Albert. With the freedom to take the best player on the board, the Chiefs could add the most athletic offensive tackle in the draft to solidify the edges of the O-line. Fisher has been flying up the charts following strong performances at the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine; scouts have been raving about his combination of size, strength and athleticism as a potential star at left or right tackle.

WV
03-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Exactly....they are beyond stupid. Reid likes to build from the Oline out, he's going to take another one. Idiots.

Dan Patrick had it right this morning. KC is praying someone wants the #1 pick, so they can trade out.

Rasputin
03-05-2013, 09:51 AM
It would be a dick move if the Chiefs pulled something like that. If it gets brought up anymore in the media after the draft then it would seem they would. If the media shuts the fuck up about it they may not think about it.

All this whining over the years about the Chiefs not getting any media exposure, well I'm already getting sick of it. Now that we got the number one pick they tell us what we should do with it and it's sickening to hear. Just sickening.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-05-2013, 09:56 AM
No non QB pick at 1 overall since Jake Long was drafted. The Chiefs arguably got a better guy the same year later in round 1. They should draft a tackle with the 1 overall this year! /brilliantbrilliantmedia

:facepalm:

patteeu
03-05-2013, 09:58 AM

A "show me" year could be about the back or it could be about seeing if Donald Stephenson (or even a 1.1 draft pick) develops into a starter quality LT, fwiw.

FRCDFED
03-05-2013, 09:58 AM
If Albert signs right away then it removes the possibility of it happening. I don't like the idea of players holding out of camp for any reason. Especially players making that kind of money.

NJChiefsFan
03-05-2013, 09:59 AM

Its a mad world.

FRCDFED
03-05-2013, 10:00 AM
A "show me" year could be about the back or it could be about seeing if Donald Stephenson (or even a 1.1 draft pick) develops into a starter quality LT, fwiw.This. If the back acts up (they normally do) then I can see them cutting ties next season and we'll be debating whether or not to slide Stephenson into the starting role or drafting another LT.

Dave Lane
03-05-2013, 10:33 AM
This. If the back acts up (they normally do) then I can see them cutting ties next season and we'll be debating whether or not to slide Stephenson into the starting role or drafting another LT.

Or grab a LT prospect late in the draft this year

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Dorsey already came out and said that he views Albert as a LT....and so does a majority of this league.

What's the one thing you don't do when you want your Veteran QB to succeed? Fuck with his offensive line. Starting a rookie LT in Week 1? That's going to get your QB fucked.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-05-2013, 10:40 AM
"If/when the Chiefs draft Joekel". Please stop with this bullshit already.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
03-05-2013, 10:42 AM
The media is so expectant of the Chiefs to blunder into a stupid safe pick, that they're making up ways to draft a LT #1 despite signing Albert. Fucking shocked I am......

KC_Lee
03-05-2013, 10:44 AM
The media is so expectant of the Chiefs to blunder into a stupid safe pick, that they're making up ways to draft a LT #1 despite signing Albert. ****ing shocked I am......

It's sad really.

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I can't wait to hear the argument of.....

"The Chiefs should draft the future replacement of Albert at 1.1 and let him sit for a year."

Wait....can't they do that with a QB?

"Too risky."

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 10:47 AM
They could lock Albert up for 5 years and the dumbfucks would still mock us a LT for not only this year, but 4 more exciting years of ALBERT TO GUARD!!!

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Fucking hell.....do we need to draft ANY offensive linemen this year?

LT - Albert, Stephenson
LG - Allen
C - Hudson
RG - Asamoah
RT - Winston, Stephenson

We could realistically use a swing man/back up for the C/OG positions.....but we can grab someone in FA to do that or use someone like Luke Patterson (already under contract). We have ZERO NEED to grab an offensive lineman in the first 3-4 rounds of this draft.

KC_Lee
03-05-2013, 10:48 AM
It's the exceptional depth at OT that has pushed teams over the top to win the Super Bowl.

I mean who can forget the dazzling performance of the depth charts of recent Super Bowl winners?!? I know I for one will be telling my grandchildren of the nearly transcendental performance of Baltimore's depth chart last year in the Super Bowl.

FRCDFED
03-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Dorsey already came out and said that he views Albert as a LT....and so does a majority of this league.

What's the one thing you don't do when you want your Veteran QB to succeed? **** with his offensive line. Starting a rookie LT in Week 1? That's going to get your QB ****ed.

1. Anyone who has ever had a back injury can tell you that it will show itself under strenuous conditions.

2. Anyone who has a back condition and is looking for a contract worth MILLIONS is going to tell you that it is fine and will suffer through some minor pain.

It doesn't matter if he is "viewed" as a LT or not. He is damaged goods. Whether or not he can hold up under the rigors of the season is the question and then at what level will he perform. It doesn't matter if we drafted him or think he is the best LT ever. A back injury nullifies everything as it should.

I am glad he doesn't have a long term contract in place. He needs to show he can play and at a high level. Otherwise I am completely in favor of replacing him.

FRCDFED
03-05-2013, 10:50 AM
****ing hell.....do we need to draft ANY offensive linemen this year?

LT - Albert, Stephenson
LG - Allen
C - Hudson
RG - Asamoah
RT - Winston, Stephenson

We could realistically use a swing man/back up for the C/OG positions.....but we can grab someone in FA to do that or use someone like Luke Patterson (already under contract). We have ZERO NEED to grab an offensive lineman in the first 3-4 rounds of this draft.It would be nice to pick up Barrett Jones in round 3-4 if he is still there.

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 10:52 AM
1. Anyone who has ever had a back injury can tell you that it will show itself under strenuous conditions.

2. Anyone who has a back condition and is looking for a contract worth MILLIONS is going to tell you that it is fine and will suffer through some minor pain.

It doesn't matter if he is "viewed" as a LT or not. He is damaged goods. Whether or not he can hold up under the rigors of the season is the question and then at what level will he perform. It doesn't matter if we drafted him or think he is the best LT ever. A back injury nullifies everything as it should.

I am glad he doesn't have a long term contract in place. He needs to show he can play and at a high level. Otherwise I am completely in favor of replacing him.

And if his back acts up again.....you've got Stephenson. A 3rd round LT who should get the opportunity to prove whether or not he can start in this league.

It would be nice to pick up Barrett Jones in round 3-4 if he is still there.

He's going in the 2nd round. I wouldn't be surprised if he went in the late 1st.

Fish
03-05-2013, 10:52 AM

He's already shown he can play at a high level. He is not damaged goods in any sense. These expectations you're putting on him are illogical.

Sweet Daddy Hate
03-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Why is Fred being retarded?
Posted via Mobile Device

FRCDFED
03-05-2013, 11:00 AM
He's already shown he can play at a high level. He is not damaged goods in any sense. These expectations you're putting on him are illogical.

Not at all. I have a back injury and although I don't get the level of medical care that I'm sure he does I can tell you that at the right angle it will show itself.

I like the idea of proving himself over the long term before giving the big contract. Like Albert said, he was a 1st round pick and has already made a lot of money. I know its not my money but I am tired of seeing millions wasted on people that play a sport. This is why ticket prices go up! (along with eleventy billion other reasons).:D

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 11:02 AM
When has a back injury ever been brought up before 2012 for Albert?

He's missed games in the past because of an elbow injury and an ankle injury.

This reoccurring back issue is all bullshit.

SAUTO
03-05-2013, 11:04 AM

This reoccurring back issue is all bullshit.

IMO that was what pioli was trying to use to low ball him

Fish
03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Not at all. I have a back injury and although I don't get the level of medical care that I'm sure he does I can tell you that at the right angle it will show itself.

I like the idea of proving himself over the long term before giving the big contract. Like Albert said, he was a 1st round pick and has already made a lot of money. I know its not my money but I am tired of seeing millions wasted on people that play a sport. This is why ticket prices go up! (along with eleventy billion other reasons).:D

You're comparing your own back injury? LOLWUT? He's a professional athlete.

None of what you're saying makes sense. He's already proven. And his back has been such a minor issue that he has nothing to prove regarding it. The Chiefs made the right move. It's time to drop this retarded mindset that the Chiefs need to draft tackles high every year.

FRCDFED
03-05-2013, 11:11 AM

This reoccurring back issue is all bullshit.Back injuries are a different breed of animal depending on where it is. Most are recurring unlike bone injuries.

FRCDFED
03-05-2013, 11:13 AM
You're comparing your own back injury? LOLWUT? He's a professional athlete. I'm sorry. Is his back made of some special material that the rest of us don't get because we are not professionals? Get real. I mentioned that he had better medical care but we are not cars. If something breaks you can't just replace it.

Faddy Yomama
03-05-2013, 11:13 AM
NO!!!!!!!!!! Luke Joeckel was a lock at #1 before this. Now there's a possibility of us taking ANOTHER 3-4 DEFENSIVE LINEMAN overall!!!!!!

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Trollololololololololololololololololololo

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Back injuries are a different breed of animal depending on where it is. Most are recurring unlike bone injuries.

And where have you heard about this back injury before this year?

FRCDFED
03-05-2013, 11:16 AM
And where have you heard about this back injury before this year?I haven't/didn't. I am taking the reports at face value. There hasn't been anything to refute that an injury did not occur. I don't know the severity or location of the injury. Albert is saying that it is fine now. Whether that is posturing for a new contract we don't know. I am glad that they are taking a wait and see approach.

Fish
03-05-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry. Is his back made of some special material that the rest of us don't get because we are not professionals? Get real. I mentioned that he had better medical care but we are not cars. If something breaks you can't just replace it.

Ignorant. He's paid millions of dollars per year. And his performance is directly dependent on his physical capabilities. He has the time and resources to dedicate to his physical abilities on a daily basis. A huge portion of his job responsibility is keeping that back healthy. Your own back injury is of no comparison. This is stupid Truefan criticism that has no basis in reality.

mr. tegu
03-05-2013, 11:25 AM
I haven't/didn't. I am taking the reports at face value. There hasn't been anything to refute that an injury did not occur. I don't know the severity or location of the injury. Albert is saying that it is fine now. Whether that is posturing for a new contract we don't know. I am glad that they are taking a wait and see approach.

The doctors who performed his physical said the same thing so...

Fish
03-05-2013, 11:27 AM
The doctors who performed his physical said the same thing so...

Nah... I'm sure they just take Albert's word for it...

Dorsey/Reid: So Branden, how's that back?

Albert: Feelin fine coach.

Dorsey/Reid: Good enough! Here's $10M. Sign here bud...

patteeu
03-05-2013, 11:35 AM
I can't wait to hear the argument of.....

"The Chiefs should draft the future replacement of Albert at 1.1 and let him sit for a year."

Wait....can't they do that with a QB?

"Too risky."

If the Chiefs take an offensive lineman at 1.1, it's not likely that he'd sit. Both he and Albert would play unless he's a huge disappointment.

The Poz
03-05-2013, 11:39 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Sam Mellinger of KC Star on PFT Live says he believes there's a chance LT Branden Albert will be traded.

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 11:42 AM
If the Chiefs take an offensive lineman at 1.1, it's not likely that he'd sit. Both he and Albert would play unless he's a huge disappointment.

They're not moving Albert to guard. That would cause him to hold out.

If they draft a LT at 1.1 and move him to RT......you moved a top 10 RT to guard.....which is retarded.

Drafting a LT at 1.1 and moving him to OG is beyond retarded.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 11:44 AM
It's the exceptional depth at OT that has pushed teams over the top to win the Super Bowl.

I mean who can forget the dazzling performance of the depth charts of recent Super Bowl winners?!? I know I for one will be telling my grandchildren of the nearly transcendental performance of Baltimore's depth chart last year in the Super Bowl.

All four of the starting offensive tackles in the super bowl were first round picks. Even one of the starting guards was a first round pick.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 11:46 AM
They're not moving Albert to guard. That would cause him to hold out.

If they draft a LT at 1.1 and move him to RT......you moved a top 10 RT to guard.....which is retarded.

Drafting a LT at 1.1 and moving him to OG is beyond retarded.

I don't think Albert would be the one moved to guard, but any of the three options is possible and none of them are retarded if they make your team significantly better.

bowener
03-05-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm starting to believe my own made up reason for the Alex Smith trade. That we traded for him because he was such a good teammate and sat quietly once he was passed over for Kap. It is well known now that he helped Kap as much as he could. Chiefs needed a backup and a vet, especially a vet willing to ride the pine when asked, and to help tutor the young guys. I know it won't happen, but I am still pulling for Geno at #1. If he falters or gets injured, AS is there for a few games to hold the course.

mr. tegu
03-05-2013, 11:55 AM
I don't think Albert would be the one moved to guard, but any of the three options is possible and none of them are retarded if they make your team significantly better.

None of those scenarios make the team signicantly better. Chiefs QBs were sacked 40 times, 11th worst in the league, but we know a lot of that has to do with the horrible QBs themselves and the fact that we played from behind so much.

We were 5th in the league in rushing yards. Our o-line is fine and basically nothing can be done with it to make it significantly better than it was last season and as it sits right now.

Fish
03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
All four of the starting offensive tackles in the super bowl were first round picks. Even one of the starting guards was a first round pick.

Albert was #15 overall in the first round. Eric Winston was #66 overall, high in the third.

We're fine......

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:01 PM
None of those scenarios make the team signicantly better. Chiefs QBs were sacked 40 times, 11th worst in the league, but we know a lot of that has to do with the horrible QBs themselves and the fact that we played from behind so much.

We were 5th in the league in rushing yards. Our o-line is fine and basically nothing can be done with it to make it significantly better than it was last season and as it sits right now.

I don't accept your evaluation. Replacing the worst member of the line with a guy talented enough to be considered for the 1.1 pick is going to make the line better. More importantly, it's likely to make the line better over the next several years, not just in year one.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 12:02 PM

That would be an absolutely awful wastes of resources. We'd have spent the following picks on the O-line....

Round Pos

1 LT
1 LT
2 LG
2 C
3 RG
3 LT

Along with big FA bucks on a RT.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Albert was #15 overall in the first round. Eric Winston was #66 overall, high in the third.

We're fine......

We could be better. The only question is whether or not it's worth the sacrifice. I understand that you don't think so.

Pasta Little Brioni

What about the previous 10 years?

mr. tegu
I don't accept your evaluation. Replacing the worst member of the line with a guy talented enough to be considered for the 1.1 pick is going to make the line better. More importantly, it's likely to make the line better over the next several years, not just in year one.

Would it make it better? Sure. Significantly better? No. A waste of a pick? Absolutely.

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 12:05 PM

No it's not....because you don't know if a player like Joeckel can realistically make the switch to OG.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:05 PM
That would be an absolutely awful wastes of resources. We'd have spent the following picks on the O-line....

Round Pos

1 LT
1 LT
2 LG
2 C
3 RG
3 LT

Along with big FA bucks on a RT.

Past picks are sunk costs. They shouldn't affect future decisions except to the extent that they may still have lingering effects on cash and cap salary.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:06 PM
No it's not....because you don't know if a player like Joeckel can realistically make the switch to OG.

This is still a low football IQ take.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Anyone that reads post 53 and still wants an OL early in this draft cannot be helped.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Would it make it better? Sure. Significantly better? No. A waste of a pick? Absolutely.

I understood your opinion. Like I said, I don't accept it.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Past picks are sunk costs. They shouldn't affect future decisions except to the extent that they may still have lingering effects on cash and cap salary.

It matters when they are quality/young/acending players. We have a damn good line and Albert/Allen/Hudson/Asamoah/Winston all are worthy of starting spots next year. Sure Allen was lackluster, but deserves more PT before rotting the bench so soon.

Are you one of the dumbfucks that thinks the line was the problem last year?

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 12:08 PM
This is still a low football IQ take.

No it's not.....if you think that the OG position is the weakest link on this football team....then you take Chance Warmack. You don't take Luke Joeckel and hope that he becomes a great OG.

Fish
03-05-2013, 12:09 PM
We could be better. The only question is whether or not it's worth the sacrifice. I understand that you don't think so.

Every team in the league could be better. And obviously it's not worth it, because we don't see a majority of teams throwing vast resources at the OLine. Look at the depth of the Superbowl teams you referenced... Who's the backup LT for the Ravens?

htismaqe
03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Draft Joeckel and move him to guard?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pat, you should stick to politics. You know jack shit about football.

Saul Good
03-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Didn't pat win the gambling pick em challenge a few years ago?

Sassy Squatch
03-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Warmack would be the pick if we wanted an OG. Lets not do that though..

htismaqe
03-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Didn't pat win the gambling pick em challenge a few years ago?

Do I fucking care?

Picking games doesn't equate to football knowledge.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
It matters when they are quality/young/acending players. We have a damn good line and Albert/Allen/Hudson/Asamoah/Winston all are worthy of starting spots next year. Sure Allen was lackluster, but deserves more PT before rotting the bench so soon.

Are you one of the dumb****s that thinks the line was the problem last year?

No, it doesn't matter. If they suck they need to be replaced no matter what round they were picked in and if they're great they don't need to be replaced even if they were UDFA.

I'm one of the dumbfucks who thinks the line is important and that it's long term quality should be treated as a high priority. I'm not one of the dumbfucks who thinks he knows that Geno Smith is a can't miss prospect or who thinks he knows that Luke Joeckel is the best player in the draft.

htismaqe
03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
No, it doesn't matter. If they suck they need to be replaced no matter what round they were picked in and if they're great they don't need to be replaced even if they were UDFA.

I'm one of the dumbfucks who thinks the line is important and that it's long term quality should be treated as a high priority. I'm not one of the dumbfucks who thinks he knows that Geno Smith is a can't miss prospect or who thinks he knows that Luke Joeckel is the best player in the draft.

You're just a dumbfuck.

Period.

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 12:19 PM

Who sucked last year and needs to be replaced?

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
No it's not.....if you think that the OG position is the weakest link on this football team....then you take Chance Warmack. You don't take Luke Joeckel and hope that he becomes a great OG.

My understanding is that Chance Warmack is less likely to be LTotF than Joeckel or one of the other top tackle prospects in the draft. This pick should be made with the future in mind, not just 2013.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Draft Joeckel and move him to guard?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pat, you should stick to politics. You know jack shit about football.

I'm the dumbfuck who can read.

ChiefsCountry
03-05-2013, 12:22 PM

I would assume the rookie who played guard for the first time.

htismaqe
03-05-2013, 12:22 PM

ROFL

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 12:23 PM
My understanding is that Chance Warmack is less likely to be LTotF than Joeckel or one of the other top tackle prospects in the draft. This pick should be made with the future in mind, not just 2013.

So you'd rather draft for the future of the LT position.....then the QB position?

patteeu

I think Jeff Allen had a tough year and Donald Stephenson struggled at times. I don't know that either of them have to be replaced though.

htismaqe

What the fuck else are you going to do with Joeckel, Pat?

You yourself said "No, it doesn't matter. If they suck they need to be replaced no matter what round they were picked in and if they're great they don't need to be replaced even if they were UDFA."

Branden Albert was GREAT. Prior to last year, Eric Winston was too.

So who are you replacing if it's not a guard, dipshit?

Saul Good
03-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Do I ****ing care?

Picking games doesn't equate to football knowledge.

Really? Being the most accurate predictor of game results over the course of an entire season doesn't equate to football knowledge? Interesting take.

htismaqe
03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Really? Being the most accurate predictor of game results over the course of an entire season doesn't equate to football knowledge? Interesting take.

ROFL

It's called probability.

I've seen people that have NEVER watched a college game in their life win an NCAA tourney pool.

The Franchise
I think Jeff Allen had a tough year and Donald Stephenson struggled at times. I don't know that either of them have to be replaced though.

Both rookies.

patteeu
So you'd rather draft for the future of the LT position.....then the QB position?

If all else is equal, the QB position is much more important. That doesn't mean you take a wild swing at whatever QB prospect happens to be available though.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Both rookies.

You don't say.

htismaqe
Both rookies.

He already said he doesn't think they need to be replaced.

So where are we going to play Joeckel? QB?

He's already lost this argument.

The Franchise
If all else is equal, the QB position is much more important. That doesn't mean you take a wild swing at whatever QB prospect happens to be available though.

Yet you'd take a wild swing at a LT who isn't even considered to be the #1 LT available.

htismaqe

Dorsey and Reid just did EXACTLY THAT.

Alex fucking Smith. ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Rookie OL struggled, yet the team ran the ball at will and the line graded out as a Top 10 unit, so piss away the pick on another high OL pick...awesome

Worst QB play in the history of the league, but it's a "waste" to spend a 1st and 2nd on the most important position.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 12:29 PM
He already said he doesn't think they need to be replaced.

So where are we going to play Joeckel? QB?

He's already lost this argument.

He lost before it began. DC rots the brain.

htismaqe
03-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Rookie OL struggled, yet the team ran the ball at will and the line graded out as a Top 10 unit, so piss away the pick on another high OL pick...awesome

Worst QB play in the history of the league, but it's a "waste" to spend a 1st and 2nd on the most important position.

http://compassionjuli.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/sheep.jpg

Mike in SW-MO
03-05-2013, 12:34 PM
I would assume the rookie who played guard for the first time.

I was going to go with the retiring guard who was playing center for the first time. Because we had no backup in case our starter went down.

Saul Good
ROFL

It's called probability.

I've seen people that have NEVER watched a college game in their life win an NCAA tourney pool.

Exactly...probability.

You can win a small pick em bracket challenge based on luck. You aren't going to win a pool that extends over the course of an entire season based on luck.

patteeu
What the **** else are you going to do with Joeckel, Pat?

You yourself said "No, it doesn't matter. If they suck they need to be replaced no matter what round they were picked in and if they're great they don't need to be replaced even if they were UDFA."

Branden Albert was GREAT. Prior to last year, Eric Winston was too.

So who are you replacing if it's not a guard, dipshit?

Branden Albert hasn't been GREAT. He's been improving and he was well above average when he was healthy the last couple of years. He hasn't been a top 5 LT. He may have been a top 10 LT, but I'd take the over if we set the line at 8. In a 32 team league, that's not what I'd call GREAT.

htismaqe
03-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Exactly...probability.

You can win a small pick em bracket challenge based on luck. You aren't going to win a pool that extends over the course of an entire season based on luck.

ROFL

Picking winners is an ENTIRELY different ballgame vs. what we're talking about in this thread.

Go ahead and defend him if you must. He's an obvious moron.

htismaqe
03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Branden Albert hasn't been GREAT. He's been improving and he was well above average when he was healthy the last couple of years. He hasn't been a top 5 LT. He may have been a top 10 LT, but I'd take the over if we set the line at 8. In a 32 team league, that's not what I'd call GREAT.

ROFL

You're an idiot.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Yet you'd take a wild swing at a LT who isn't even considered to be the #1 LT available.

No, I sure wouldn't.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Quality QB play/awareness would make him look even better.

Hell look at Clady under Manning/Tebow. It was ridiculous the difference in perception/level of play.

htismaqe
03-05-2013, 12:37 PM
No, I sure wouldn't.

Then what's your point?

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Dorsey and Reid just did EXACTLY THAT.

Alex ****ing Smith. ROFL ROFL ROFL

We're talking about the draft, big guy. It pays to be a dumb**** who can read. Really it does.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Then what's your point?

ManBearPig

htismaqe
03-05-2013, 12:39 PM
We're talking about the draft, big guy. It pays to be a dumb**** who can read. Really it does.

Make sure to narrow the scope of your statement as much as you can so that you can cling to semantics and technicalities.

Your DC bullshit won't work here, mouthbreather.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Who graded them out as a top 10 unit?

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Quality QB play/awareness would make him look even better.

Hell look at Clady under Manning/Tebow. It was ridiculous the difference in perception/level of play.

There's probably quite a bit of truth to that. It's definitely worth considering. Also worth considering is whether or not Branden Albert can be the long term LT solution. Is he signable? Is he able to stay healthy? Etc. I would hope that the answer to both of those is "yes", but if it's not or if it's "too early to tell", then the possibility of a future without BA has to be considered as well.

mr. tegu
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
There's probably quite a bit of truth to that. It's definitely worth considering. Also worth considering is whether or not Branden Albert can be the long term LT solution. Is he signable? Is he able to stay healthy? Etc. I would hope that the answer to both of those is "yes", but if it's not or if it's "too early to tell", then the possibility of a future without BA has to be considered as well.

No one denies that. Even Scott Pioli knew that which is why we have Donald Stephenson.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
No one denies that. Even Scott ***** knew that which is why we have Donald Stephenson.

And it would be great if Donald Stephenson had already emerged as the second coming of Anthony Munoz. As of now, though, he's still something of a question mark AFAICT. He's the only possible LTotF on the roster right now though. I'm not sure that's the best position to be in a year from now if BA is gone. That doesn't mean that 2013 1.1 is the only possible solution, but it is one of the possible solutions. (And the other solution, obviously, is to sign BA long term).

I'm on board for the BPA (at an impact position) at 1.1, whoever that is.

ModSocks
03-05-2013, 12:52 PM
LTotF.... LMAO

Only on Chiefsplanet haha

mr. tegu
03-05-2013, 12:53 PM
And it would be great if Donald Stephenson had already emerged as the second coming of Anthony Munoz. As of now, though, he's still something of a question mark AFAICT. He's the only possible LTotF on the roster right now though. I'm not sure that's the best position to be in a year from now if BA is gone. That doesn't mean that 2013 1.1 is the only possible solution, but it is one of the possible solutions.

Stephenson may or may not be. Regardless though, as of now Albert is the LT of the future. And when you have a LT for at least one more year and a young backup to him on the roster already, a replacement backup at 1.1 is simply not an option that has any resemblance of making sense.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Stephenson may or may not be. Regardless though, as of now Albert is the LT of the future. And when you have a LT for at least one more year and a young backup to him on the roster already, a replacement backup at 1.1 is simply not an option that has any resemblance of making sense.

Offensive line isn't a place where you want just-in-time replacements, particularly if you're going to rely on mid-to-late round picks. Waiting until next year to decide that you need an immediate replacement for BA and that Stephenson isn't going to cut it is a bad position to end up in.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
All 8 teams can rescind the tag Mike Florio

ModSocks
03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Offensive line isn't a place where you want just-in-time replacements, particularly if you're going to rely on mid-to-late round picks. Waiting until next year to decide that you need an immediate replacement for BA and that Stephenson isn't going to cut it is a bad position to end up in.

Quarterback isn't a place where you want just-in-time Replacements, particularly if you're going to rely on mid-to-late round picks. Waiting until next year to decide that you need an immediate replacement for AS and that Stanzi isn't going to cut it is a bad position to end up in.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Quarterback isn't a place where you want just-in-time Replacements, particularly if you're going to rely on mid-to-late round picks. Waiting until next year to decide that you need an immediate replacement for AS and that Stanzi isn't going to cut it is a bad position to end up in.

Alex Smith is under contract for at least 2 more years. Other than that, I agree with you.

Fish
03-05-2013, 01:04 PM
And it would be great if Donald Stephenson had already emerged as the second coming of Anthony Munoz. As of now, though, he's still something of a question mark AFAICT. He's the only possible LTotF on the roster right now though. I'm not sure that's the best position to be in a year from now if BA is gone. That doesn't mean that 2013 1.1 is the only possible solution, but it is one of the possible solutions. (And the other solution, obviously, is to sign BA long term).

I'm on board for the BPA (at an impact position) at 1.1, whoever that is.

You didn't answer the first time I asked. Who's the backup LT for the Superbowl champs?

A 2-14 team drafting a LTotF with a ~top 10 LT former first round pick still on the roster is a waste of a high pick.

BossChief
03-05-2013, 01:04 PM
The Chiefs can recind the tag...and the chiefs can also back out of the Alex Smith trade.

Neither will happen.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 01:06 PM
You didn't answer the first time I asked. Who's the backup LT for the Superbowl champs?

A 2-14 team drafting a LTotF with a ~top 10 LT former first round still on the roster is a waste of a high pick.

I assume the backup LT for the Ravens was Michael Oher, but I don't know for sure. I'm not sure that helps you make your point.

B14ckmon
03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
ProFootballTalk: Sam Mellinger of KC Star on PFT Live says he believes there's a chance LT Branden Albert will be traded.

The Franchise
03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
ProFootballTalk: Sam Mellinger of KC Star on PFT Live says he believes there's a chance LT Branden Albert will be traded.

Q you fucking retard.

B14ckmon
03-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Q you ****ing retard.

Not my tweet.

Mav
03-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Not my tweet.

boy, if they traded albert for a second round pick, and then turned around and drafted joeckel anyway, this board would come crashing down.

ModSocks
03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Alex Smith is under contract for at least 2 more years. Other than that, I agree with you.

See, your logic makes sense when it is applied to the QB position, not the LT position. Sure, LT is an important position, but its importance is far over blown with the "Truefans" and isn't nearly as important as the QB.

Your concern shouldn't be developing the next LT, it should be developing your next QB. We have a young LT, and a young developmental LT. We have nothing at QB.

You're so concerned with Albert's back. Why aren't you just as concerned with Alex Smith's injury history?

You're so concerned with grooming a LT in case Albert doesn't work out. Why aren't you concerned with grooming a QB, the most important position the field, in case Alex Smith doesn't work out?

Maybe you're right, maybe Albert's back is an issue. Maybe im right, and Alex Smith isn't going to work out well for us either.

Maybe.....after the 2013 season both of these guys have failed to live up to expectations.....if that scenario were to occur, which of the following scenarios would be best:

1. A Geno/Barkley that has been under the tutelage of Andy Reid for the past season, knows the offense and his teammates + Some mid round LT

or

2. Joeckel + Some mid round QB who will be expected to come in and turn the franchise around?

Basically.....Which is the better investment; LT or QB? Which position will benefit the Chiefs more from sitting and learning for a season? If both Albert and Smith live up to their expectations and are retained, which position would have higher trade value, LT or QB? I think the answers are pretty damn obvious to anyone who's followed the NFL.

BossChief
03-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Why would they trade him?

They have openly said that they want to sign him long term.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
You don't need a Munoz to win a Super Bowl, let alone BACKUP Munoz's ROFL

You do need a quality QB though and we didn't have one.

ModSocks
03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Why would they trade him?

They have openly said that they want to sign him long term.

They're not going to trade him. It's just idiots desperately trying to hang on to Luke Joeckel.

Fish
03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
I assume the backup LT for the Ravens was Michael Oher, but I don't know for sure. I'm not sure that helps you make your point.

The point is that the Superbowl champions didn't feel it necessary to have a LTotF even on the roster. Their starting RT was their backup LT. They won the Superbowl with that approach.

Yet you're advocating that a 2-14 team spend a first round pick on a LT this year, when we not only already have a 1st round pick already playing there, but we spent the #74 overall pick on his backup just last season. You outright admit that we still don't know how good Stephenson is. Yet you're ready to spend a high pick on a replacement already.

Sassy Squatch
03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Who would trade for him anyway? Jake Long, Sebastian Volmer and Andre Smith could all be had without losing draft picks. Albert is better than all of them but not by enough to give up the compensation we would want.

ChiefsCountry
03-05-2013, 01:30 PM
This fan base has a weird obession with offensive lineman.

ModSocks
03-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Who would trade for him anyway? Jake Long, Sebastian Volmer and Andre Smith could all be had without losing draft picks. Albert is better than all of them but not by enough to give up the compensation we would want.

Add in the abundance of "Ogden" quality LT's in the draft, a team would be stupid to trade for Albert.

nychief
03-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Dorsey said they'll continue to work toward a long term deal.... I don't know why that wouldn't be true.

Sorter
03-05-2013, 01:32 PM

I blame Carl.

KC_Lee
03-05-2013, 01:33 PM

And other team's back up QBs.

Fish
03-05-2013, 01:33 PM

Yes it is. It absolutely is. Many teams only carry 7-8 offensive linemen on their final roster. You don't have depth at OLine as deeply as you do most other positions. Which is why many teams, such as the Superbowl champ Ravens, don't carry a full-time backup LTotF, let alone spend draft picks on it when they already have a solid starting LT.

Sorter
03-05-2013, 01:37 PM
And other team's back up QBs.

Also Carl's fault.

Setsuna
03-05-2013, 01:50 PM
It would be nice to pick up Barrett Jones in round 3-4 if he is still there.

Alabama people said he was 3rd/4th best OL they had on the team. Just relaying information...

patteeu
03-05-2013, 02:03 PM
See, your logic makes sense when it is applied to the QB position, not the LT position. Sure, LT is an important position, but its importance is far over blown with the "Truefans" and isn't nearly as important as the QB.

Your concern shouldn't be developing the next LT, it should be developing your next QB. We have a young LT, and a young developmental LT. We have nothing at QB.

You're so concerned with Albert's back. Why aren't you just as concerned with Alex Smith's injury history?

You're so concerned with grooming a LT in case Albert doesn't work out. Why aren't you concerned with grooming a QB, the most important position the field, in case Alex Smith doesn't work out?

Maybe you're right, maybe Albert's back is an issue. Maybe im right, and Alex Smith isn't going to work out well for us either.

Maybe.....after the 2013 season both of these guys have failed to live up to expectations.....if that scenario were to occur, which of the following scenarios would be best:

1. A Geno/Barkley that has been under the tutelage of Andy Reid for the past season, knows the offense and his teammates + Some mid round LT

or

2. Joeckel + Some mid round QB who will be expected to come in and turn the franchise around?

Basically.....Which is the better investment; LT or QB? Which position will benefit the Chiefs more from sitting and learning for a season? If both Albert and Smith live up to their expectations and are retained, which position would have higher trade value, LT or QB? I think the answers are pretty damn obvious to anyone who's followed the NFL.

I'm no less concerned about Alex Smith's health and viability as a starter than Branden Albert's.

The guy that is more valuable is the guy who ends up being a successful NFL player instead of a bust, even if that guy is a LT. If Geno Smith is that guy, he's obviously the better pick.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 02:06 PM
You don't need a Munoz to win a Super Bowl, let alone BACKUP Munoz's ROFL

You do need a quality QB though and we didn't have one.

You don't need Munoz, but you can't live with Barry Richardson or Jordan Black either. The point though, is that Donald Stephenson didn't prove himself last year. It's too early to pass judgment on him and he may still end up being a front line LT starter, but we haven't seen it yet.

You need quality at both QB and on the offensive line. This shouldn't be an either/or situation.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 02:12 PM
The point is that the Superbowl champions didn't feel it necessary to have a LTotF even on the roster. Their starting RT was their backup LT. They won the Superbowl with that approach.

Yet you're advocating that a 2-14 team spend a first round pick on a LT this year, when we not only already have a 1st round pick already playing there, but we spent the #74 overall pick on his backup just last season. You outright admit that we still don't know how good Stephenson is. Yet you're ready to spend a high pick on a replacement already.

The Ravens are going to have challenges in 2013. I won't say their window is closed, but it's not nearly as open as it was last year. They were in "win now, and I mean right now" mode last year. Unless you think the Chiefs are ready to take a run at the Super Bowl in 2013 and you're willing to take a step back in 2014 to rebuild/retool, it's not really an apt comparison.

The Chiefs should be building toward a freshly opened window over the next 2 years, not acting like the window is about to close.

Hootie
03-05-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm envious the Ravens won another Super Bowl but I don't see them as a contender next year...I see them as a quality, but aging team that would need another Rahim Moore to go their way...honestly, gun to head, I feel like they could miss the playoffs next year.

I could be wrong, I'm anti-flacco so that plays a part in it for me

Fish
03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
The Ravens are going to have challenges in 2013. I won't say their window is closed, but it's not nearly as open as it was last year. They were in "win now, and I mean right now" mode last year. Unless you think the Chiefs are ready to take a run at the Super Bowl in 2013 and you're willing to take a step back in 2014 to rebuild/retool, it's not really an apt comparison.

The Chiefs should be building toward a freshly opened window over the next 2 years, not acting like the window is about to close.

Pat, this practice is by no means limited to the Ravens. Look at San Fran's depth chart. Who's their backup tackles?

San Fran depth chart: http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/sf/san-francisco-49ers

How about the Patriots?

http://www.patriots.com/games-and-stats/depth-chart.html

Or the Packers, where Dorsey was involved?

http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html

Look at the way these playoff teams handled their backup OLine situation. You'll find in many cases there are no backup tackles, or they have 1 backup for multiple positions. You're grossly overestimating how they supply the OLine position.

RyFo18
03-05-2013, 02:24 PM
How many more fucking Albert scenarios do I have to live through? What about the one where he our starting LT in 2013? I haven't heard that one.

ChiefsCountry
I'm envious the Ravens won another Super Bowl but I don't see them as a contender next year...I see them as a quality, but aging team that would need another Rahim Moore to go their way...honestly, gun to head, I feel like they could miss the playoffs next year.

I could be wrong, I'm anti-flacco so that plays a part in it for me

You are so butt hurt over the Rahim Moore deal. Every Super Bowl champ has a break that goes there way.

KC_Lee
How many more ****ing Albert scenarios do I have to live through? What about the one where he our starting LT in 2013? I haven't heard that one.

Get out of here with that sort of talk!!

htismaqe
03-05-2013, 02:46 PM

Too bad the Chiefs don't agree with you.

They're TOTALLY operating as if the window is open RIGHT NOW.

DaneMcCloud
03-05-2013, 02:55 PM

They'd be foolish not to believe that.

Just two years ago, this team went 7-9 without Eric Berry, Tony Moeaki and Jamaal Charles. They had Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko and Kyle Orton as QB's.

Fast forward two seasons and not only do they have six Pro Bowlers and all of those players back from major injury, they've added a very good "game manager" in Alex Smith and one of the best offensive minds in the NFL as head coach. They've also finally switched to an attacking "1 gap" defense, something me and others have been screaming for since the 3-4 conversion.

If the Chiefs continue to have a good offseason, I see no reason why they shouldn't feel like the window is open.

It's not like the AFC is loaded with great teams right now.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 03:14 PM

The Ravens are currently in a different phase of their roster cycle than we are. In 2008, the Ravens LT was Jared Gaither. He started 15 games that year and played pretty well. The Ravens drafted a LTotF in the first round of the 2009 draft even though Gaither was going to be back. In 2009, Gaither continued to play LT for them (although that year he had signficant injury issues) while Michael Oher was introduced to the line at RT.

The next year, Oher moved to the left side and Gaither was released.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Pat, this practice is by no means limited to the Ravens. Look at San Fran's depth chart. Who's their backup tackles?

San Fran depth chart: http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/sf/san-francisco-49ers

How about the Patriots?

http://www.patriots.com/games-and-stats/depth-chart.html

Or the Packers, where Dorsey was involved?

http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html

Look at the way these playoff teams handled their backup OLine situation. You'll find in many cases there are no backup tackles, or they have 1 backup for multiple positions. You're grossly overestimating how they supply the OLine position.

No one is advocating that we carry a front-line-quality, ready-to-start-now offensive tackle as a backup. That shouldn't be so hard to understand.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 03:20 PM

They're operating as if the window is opening. They're not (and they should not be) acting as if the window is closing. I doubt seriously that they think a Super Bowl run is much more than a small possibility in 2013. I wouldn't be surprised if they think contention in the division and a playoff appearance are pretty possible though and if you get that far, anything can happen (Carl!).

Fish
03-05-2013, 03:23 PM
No one is advocating that we carry a front-line-quality, ready-to-start-now offensive tackle as a backup. That shouldn't be so hard to understand.

Could have fooled me....

I'm one of the dumbfucks who thinks the line is important and that it's long term quality should be treated as a high priority.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Could have fooled me....

I guess I did. Nowhere have I advocated carrying a starter as a backup. If anything, I've suggested the possibility that Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson would go back to being backups where they can continue to develop and maybe, a year from now, one of them might be ready to step in somewhere along the line.

And FTR, I'm also not advocating a LT at 1.1, but if it happens, I'll understand it.

Fish
03-05-2013, 03:43 PM
I guess I did. Nowhere have I advocated carrying a starter as a backup. If anything, I've suggested the possibility that Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson would go back to being backups where they can continue to develop and maybe, a year from now, one of them might be ready to step in somewhere along the line.

And FTR, I'm also not advocating a LT at 1.1, but if it happens, I'll understand it.

Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson are the current backups. We still don't know how good they will be. If we draft other linemen, we will not retain those new rookies plus Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson. Because teams don't carry that many OLinemen. So at the least, you're advocating that we give up on previous #44 overall pick and #74 overall picks, and replace them with other unknowns before you yourself are even sure about their potential. So any outcome is going to be a waste of good draft picks.

It's a dumb approach. Our current linemen are good enough, and our currently backups have enough potential, that OLine is very far from a need that should be addressed before QB and even other positions.

Nightfyre
03-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson are the current backups. We still don't know how good they will be. If we draft other linemen, we will not retain those new rookies plus Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson. Because teams don't carry that many OLinemen. So at the least, you're advocating that we give up on previous #44 overall pick and #74 overall picks, and replace them with other unknowns before you yourself are even sure about their potential. So any outcome is going to be a waste of good draft picks.

It's a dumb approach. Our current linemen are good enough, and our currently backups have enough potential, that OLine is very far from a need that should be addressed before QB and even other positions.

I have to agree with the fish. Stephenson is a quality backup with starter potential at this point in my mind. He flashed a lot last year, but also made some rookie mistakes. Allen appears to have a bit further to go, but is certainly serviceable at this juncture.

patteeu
03-05-2013, 03:53 PM

Someone has to start at LG. If those two are current backups, we have an empty spot on the line. And a second spot is up in the air for 2014 depending on what happens with Albert.

So no. What you say I'm advocating is not what I'm advocating. You're building a strawman (perhaps unintentionally if you didn't realize that Ryan Lilja is retiring). OLine is a need.

Fish
03-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Someone has to start at LG. If those two are current backups, we have an empty spot on the line. And a second spot is up in the air for 2014 depending on what happens with Albert.

So no. What you say I'm advocating is not what I'm advocating. You're building a strawman (perhaps unintentionally if you didn't realize that Ryan Lilja is retiring). OLine is a need.

Allen is starting at LG, and Hochstein is backing him up. So not really......

Nightfyre
03-05-2013, 04:02 PM
So patteeu would spend the first overall pick to improve the left guard spot over a serviceable rookie drafted in the early second last year. Any other ridiculous notions we want to get out of the way?

patteeu
03-05-2013, 04:04 PM
So patteeu would spend the first overall pick to improve the left guard spot over a serviceable rookie drafted in the early second last year. Any other ridiculous notions we want to get out of the way?

:facepalm:

patteeu
03-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Allen is starting at LG, and Hochstein is backing him up. So not really......

Yeah, he's on the depth chart. That doesn't mean we don't have a hole though. If Dorsey had let Branden Albert walk, we'd have had Donald Stephenson as a starter, so why'd he waste Chiefs money on that franchise tag, am I right?

MotherfuckerJones
03-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Why would we take a fucking LT of the future? Thats a waste of a pick. Its time to take our QB of the future. We've spent too many early picks on oline. We could use number 1 pick and have our QB and develop him

Hootie
03-05-2013, 04:08 PM
There is not one reason this team needs to draft or sign a single lineman outside of a dime a dozen center to back up Hudson...we are 100% set at OL

Fish
03-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Yeah, he's on the depth chart. That doesn't mean we don't have a hole though. If Dorsey had let Branden Albert walk, we'd have had Donald Stephenson as a starter, so why'd he waste Chiefs money on that franchise tag, am I right?

Again... teams don't keep more than 8 linemen on the roster. And the backups are expected to play several positions if shit hits the fan.

Right now as projected starters we have:

Albert: #15 overall pick
Allen: #44 overall pick
Hudson: #55 overall pick
Asamoah: #68 overall pick
Winston: #66 overall pick

Not one guy picked later than the 3rd round. And on top of that we have a backup picked #74 overall. How can you look at that and still say OLine is a position of need?

I challenge you to compare that to other teams' OLines, and where they're drafted, and how many backups they carry. You'll find that the Chiefs are well above average in addressing the OLine with quality draft picks. We even have a backup with considerable potential. Which is more than many teams can say. I've given you several examples from last year's playoff teams. Look at some others. The Chiefs are in very good shape there, and the idea of needing to spend another high draft pick on OLine is painful.

RyFo18
03-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Right now as projected starters we have:

Albert: #15 overall pick
Allen: #44 overall pick
Hudson: #55 overall pick
Asamoah: #68 overall pick
Winston: #66 overall pick

Not one guy picked later than the 3rd round. And on top of that we have a backup picked #74 overall. How can you look at that and still say OLine is a position of need?

I swear, 90% of people over the age of 40 will just blindly pound the table for O-lineman. And then they'll bring up the Will Shields/Willie Roaf days...Those were the days.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-05-2013, 05:26 PM
John Dorsey was just on 810 said. Right now Albert is the starting LT that's all he would say.

MotherfuckerJones
03-05-2013, 05:34 PM
I like Dorsey he's having fun not tipping his hand