PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Clowney runs 4.5 40 at winter workout

B14ckmon
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>ESPN's Tom Rinaldi reported that <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23SouthCarolina">#SouthCarolina</a> DE Jadeveon Clowney ran a 4.5 40 at 270 pounds during the Gamecocks' recent winter workouts.</p>&mdash; Evan Silva (@evansilva) <a href="https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/308999234877812736">March 5, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Absolute beast.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
No one curr

Pitt Gorilla
03-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Want at #1.

mr. tegu
03-05-2013, 12:46 PM
*crickets*

listopencil
03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
This guy?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H8q3Whn2ivI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

B14ckmon
03-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Yes that guy. Or otherwise known as the top defensive prospect in the last couple of decades.

listopencil
03-05-2013, 12:53 PM
I think if I was walking around with a football in my hands, and Jadeveon Clowney came jogging up to me, I'd just set the ball on the ground and slowly walk away.

ptlyon
03-05-2013, 12:55 PM
He makes me want to snap the heads off of kittens

Imon Yourside
03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
He can't sack Geno, cuz Geno gun b a Chief!

Bump
03-05-2013, 01:03 PM
it's bullshit that he's not allowed to earn a living.

mr. tegu
03-05-2013, 01:04 PM

He won't be allowed to play in the league until meeting their requirements? What a travesty! :rolleyes:

DaKCMan AP
03-05-2013, 01:05 PM

No one's preventing him from earning a living.

B14ckmon
03-05-2013, 01:06 PM

He can kill people in the military, but not tackle guys in the NFL.

mr. tegu
03-05-2013, 01:10 PM
He can kill people in the military, but not tackle guys in the NFL.

You don't have a job or have ever applied for one I take it.

B14ckmon
03-05-2013, 01:14 PM
You don't have a job or have ever applied for one I take it.

Yes, we understand the NFL is allowed to set their own requirements.

That doesn't make it a stupid arbitrary requirement.

Easy 6
03-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Want at #1.

A guy that big and fast would make an excellent prospect for OLB.

mr. tegu
03-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Yes, we understand the NFL is allowed to set their own requirements.

That doesn't make it a stupid arbitrary requirement.

Clowney is not the norm. He may be okay to play in the NFL right now, but for the vast majority of guys at his age, they would get destroyed. The rule is far from stupid and arbitrary.

Fat Elvis
03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
I think if I was walking around with a football in my hands, and Jadeveon Clowney came jogging up to me, I'd just set the ball on the ground and slowly walk away play dead.

FYP

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Jags will be bad, but not bad enough for him. He'll be a Chief after a trade up.

Pitt Gorilla
03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Clowney is not the norm. He may be okay to play in the NFL right now, but for the vast majority of guys at his age, they would get destroyed. The rule is far from stupid and arbitrary.If that's the case, wouldn't teams simply not draft those that are not ready?

Iowanian
03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
It's said that he projects almost as well as Aaron Curry

saphojunkie
03-05-2013, 01:24 PM
If that's the case, wouldn't teams simply not draft those that are not ready?

Once they declare, they can't go back. So, it wouldn't work at all.

You can't bartend until you're 21, and no one is seeking litigation about it.

Pitt Gorilla
03-05-2013, 01:26 PM

You can't bartend until you're 21, and no one is seeking litigation about it.I would suggest not declaring if you aren't ready.

I'm fine with the league having their rule. I'm just not sure why the rule is needed.

lcarus
03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
He won't be allowed to play in the league until meeting their requirements? What a travesty! :rolleyes:

I don't like their requirements. He's gonna be in the NFL anyway. He's 20 years old. If a player is 18 years old, and a team wants them...fuck it. Let them play. They're legal adults. Same goes for the NBA. But that's just my personal feelings about the situation.

Setsuna
03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Whoever holds that #1 pick is going to get 2 full drafts in 2014 and probably a full draft and a half in 2015. The NFL needs to monitor this or I can see about 5-6 teams trying to intentionally tank. Maybe more.

Fat Elvis
03-05-2013, 01:30 PM
I think it is ironic that it is ok to tell Clowney that he can't play in the NFL because it is too dangerous, but it is ok to tell the players he will demolish in college that is it safe to play with him on the field.

B14ckmon
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM

You can't bartend until you're 21, and no one is seeking litigation about it.

You can't bartend because you can't drink until you are 21 and it's a potential liability having them handle alcohol.

I'm fairly certain there is no federal regulation saying you have to play three years in college...

MahiMike
03-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Too young. He's like jail bait until next year.

lcarus
03-05-2013, 01:39 PM
This guy would have been a stud in the NFL two years ago

58-4ever
03-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Awesome that we get sandwiched at the number one pick in between Luck and Clowney

lcarus
03-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Awesome that we get sandwiched at the number one pick in between Luck and Clowney

We just can't catch a fuckin break lol

listopencil
03-05-2013, 01:48 PM
I think the requirements have more to do with protecting college football than protecting college football players.

RyFo18
03-05-2013, 01:48 PM
So depressing.

listopencil
03-05-2013, 02:05 PM
I was trying to find the origin and development of draft rules and stumbled across an article about the first draft here:

http://profootballresearchers.org/Coffin_Corner/05-06-143.pdf

It says that at first the teams collected lists of college seniors. Of course that was back when pro football wasn't exactly big money. Players would make more money back then working their jobs in the off season.

tooge
03-05-2013, 02:13 PM
wow, this would be really interesting if he were, you know, eligible for the draft

mikey23545
03-05-2013, 02:14 PM
So many of you children are just little spoiled infants who can't believe the world has rules, and you won't always like them.

Life is so unfair!

lcarus
03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
So many of you children are just little spoiled infants who can't believe the world has rules, and you won't always like them.

Life is so unfair!

There are a lot of pretty dumbass rules in this world though.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Whoever holds that #1 pick is going to get 2 full drafts in 2014 and probably a full draft and a half in 2015. The NFL needs to monitor this or I can see about 5-6 teams trying to intentionally tank. Maybe more.

Teams don't tank dummy. If they did, it wouldn't be for a non QB.

Pasta Little Brioni
Heard he won't play for Jax if they take him.

Tribal Warfare
so electronically timed he'll run a 4.65 to 4.7

KChiefs1
03-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Typical Chiefs luck.

KChiefs1
03-05-2013, 02:33 PM
wow, this would be really interesting if he were, you know, eligible for the draft

Could someone pick him this year & sign him before the draft next year?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-05-2013, 02:38 PM

LOL. I hear some jobs even require a college degree! It's bullishit that undergrads are not allowed to earn a living

Pitt Gorilla
03-05-2013, 02:41 PM

Life is so unfair!Perhaps some believe the market should decide if a player belongs in the NFL or not.

lcarus
03-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Perhaps some believe the market should decide if a player belongs in the NFL or not.

No, that's just a childish, spoiled little infant's thought process. There are rules, and you shall accept all of them like the rest of us adults!

Hound333
03-05-2013, 02:51 PM
The rules isn't about preserving College. Its about the NFL wanting to use college as a free minor leagues. They make less mistakes and do not have to recuit on potential. We see how many times the recruiting rankings end up being dead wrong when kids come out of HS.

For the rule to change it would need to be talked about with the players association. They will not be changing the rule. It has been challenged in court and upheld. The rule benifits the NFL. The only people it does not benefit are the few kids out of HS that are rated high and end up sucking (Dayne Crist from KU).

Mr. Laz
03-05-2013, 03:05 PM
a business has a right to set guideline requirements for their employees sans race etc.

Clowney or any other college football player can go earn a living with any business they meet the requirements for

Strongside
03-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Man if he were coming out this year it's a no-brainer.

Pitt Gorilla
03-05-2013, 03:30 PM
a business has a right to set guideline requirements for their employees sans race etc.

Clowney or any other college football player can go earn a living with any business they meet the requirements foragreed.

RealSNR
03-05-2013, 03:33 PM

Andrew Luck generated interest when it was thought the Colts might keep Manning and trade the pick. He didn't generate that much interest.

NO pass rusher on earth should generate that much buzz for a trade up. I can't think of one pass rusher coming out of the draft in NFL history that I'd give up that much bank for.

KCFANinNC
03-05-2013, 03:52 PM
The Bills franchised a Safety that ran slower than that.

Prison Bitch
03-05-2013, 03:54 PM

Totally agree. Everyone over 18 should be allowed to seek employment. And if the NFL doesn't like it, tough luck. The owners want to hire Clowney. Let's not pretend like he doesn't have employers after him because EVERY Team would draft him if they could. He's being unfairly treated by a cartel, led by a group of slimy overpaid butt-holes in a cushy league office.

The head of whom is making $29million this year. What a farce.

Prison Bitch
03-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Clowney or any other college football player can go earn a living with any business they meet the requirements for

He meets every single legit requirement out there. And if he didn't, nobody would draft him. But, you and I both laugh hysterically at the thought he'd go undrafted.

The "rules" he's not meeting have ZERO to do with job abilities. And that's the whole problem: they're arbitrary, stupid rules. If a CPA firm had a requirement you must have slicked back oily hair and thick glasses like George McFly, you'd think that was really stupid. no?

penguinz
03-05-2013, 04:16 PM
He meets every single legit requirement out there. And if he didn't, nobody would draft him. But, you and I both laugh hysterically at the thought he'd go undrafted.

The "rules" he's not meeting have ZERO to do with job abilities. And that's the whole problem: they're arbitrary, stupid rules. If a CPA firm had a requirement you must have slicked back oily hair and thick glasses like George McFly, you'd think that was really stupid. no?Not even the same argument.

But i am sure that CPA firm is going to require that you have your college degree which means you most likely will have to go to school even longer than Clowney will have to.

That CPA firm must be full of stupid rule making morons.

Mr. Laz
03-05-2013, 04:20 PM
He meets every single legit requirement out there.
No, he doesn't.

If he did he would be entering the draft right now.

Prison Bitch
03-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Not even the same argument.

But i am sure that CPA firm is going to require that you have your college degree which means you most likely will have to go to school even longer than Clowney will have to.

That CPA firm must be full of stupid rule making morons.

CPA firms are a bad example since there are state requirements to having a license. Same with airline pilots. We're not talking about public safety or fiduciaries here with Clowney so let's use the normal work situation.

If a company hired an intern that was vastly superior to all their current workers and he wanted to work for them ASAP, they would hire him. Period. Without even blinking an eye. This happens already in the real world plenty, I've seen it firsthand.

Prison Bitch
03-05-2013, 04:22 PM
No, he doesn't.

If he did he would be entering the draft right now.

You don't know what the word "legit" means. You should google it.

penguinz
03-05-2013, 04:23 PM
CPA firms are a bad example since there are state requirements to having a license. Same with airline pilots. We're not talking about public safety or fiduciaries here with Clowney so let's use the normal work situation.

If a company hired an intern that was vastly superior to all their current workers and he wanted to work for them ASAP, they would hire him. Period. Without even blinking an eye. This happens already in the real world plenty, I've seen it firsthand.And you think the NFL is the real world?

Mr. Laz
03-05-2013, 04:26 PM
You don't know what the word "legit" means. You should google it.
Just because you don't agree with the requirement doesn't mean it isn't legit.

It was agreed to by the NFL and NFLPA

It's in the CBA, therefore is the 'legit' rule set for the NFL draft.

Prison Bitch
03-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Just because you don't agree with the requirement doesn't mean it isn't legit.

It was agreed to by the NFL and NFLPA

It's in the CBA, therefore is the 'legit' rule set for the NFL draft.

That is quite true - it's in the CBA. And that makes it problematic for any type of lawsuit on unfair labor grounds. What they're going to do eventually is rule that Clowney wasn't able to bargain and hence shouldn't be subject to the agreement. Only those who voted on it (or had representation) will be subject to it. I.e., it will be deemed anti-competitive as it's bending the law to prevent competition in the labor market.

Anyway, we used to have unpaid Olympians. We used to have non-scholarship college athletes. We used to have a ban on free agents. On and on. Eventually they all fell. This eventually will too, might just take a while.

Mr. Laz
03-05-2013, 04:32 PM
That is quite true - it's in the CBA. And that makes it problematic for any type of lawsuit on unfair labor grounds. What they're going to do eventually is rule that Clowney wasn't able to bargain and hence shouldn't be subject to the agreement. Only those who voted on it (or had representation) will be subject to it. I.e., it will be deemed anti-competitive as it's bending the law to prevent competition in the labor market.

Anyway, we used to have unpaid Olympians. We used to have non-scholarship college athletes. We used to have a ban on free agents. On and on. Eventually they all fell. This eventually will too, might just take a while.
Your arguing something completely different now.

Prison Bitch
03-05-2013, 04:39 PM
I dunno, this discussion sure sounds an awful like MLB circa 1970. The league + the players agreed to the reserve clause system and that was challenged several times before finally falling in court. There was only so long MLB (and the other sports that rode the coattails of that system) could artificially subvert the free and open market. I could be wrong on this, it's just my prediction of what will eventually happen.

Molitoth
03-05-2013, 04:45 PM
This guy is going to be coming into the next season with the most hype I've ever seen.

Molitoth
03-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Compete for Clowney!

Too soon?

If people think the Geno Smith hype is crazy... about half way into the season when the chiefs are 2-6, this guy is going to mentioned 100 times a day on this forum.

RyFo18
03-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Compete for Clowney!

Too soon?

If people think the Geno Smith hype is crazy... about half way into the season when the chiefs are 2-6, this guy is going to mentioned 100 times a day on this forum.

Clowney is a beast, but I bet Bridgewater goes #1 overall next year.

okcchief
03-06-2013, 12:39 AM
The funny thing is if he was in the draft people would still be bitching about taking a QB. He's going to be a game changing defender and head and shoulders above anything in this years draft class. It's a shame we get sandwiched between Luck and this guy. Just bad god damn luck.

okcchief
03-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Clowney is a beast, but I bet Bridgewater goes #1 overall next year.

Not right now, but I guess a great year could get him there.

B14ckmon
03-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Not right now, but I guess a great year could get him there.

I think it depends on who has the #1 pick. If it's the Jets/Jaguars/Browns and none of these team's QB play improves, I could see them going QB over Clowney. Especially if the Jaguars take someone like Jordan this year.

okcchief
03-06-2013, 01:14 AM
I think it depends on who has the #1 pick. If it's the Jets/Jaguars/Browns and none of these team's QB play improves, I could see them going QB over Clowney. Especially if the Jaguars take someone like Jordan this year.

It makes sense. The worst team in the league will most likely have a QB need. Honestly, I didn't see Louisville play except for the Sugar Bowl. I need to watch Bridgewater some more. I've seen Clowney play several times know he's the real deal. If QB is really good they will obviously be the first pick 9 times out of 10.

Pitt Gorilla
03-06-2013, 01:15 AM
The funny thing is if he was in the draft people would still be bitching about taking a QB. He's going to be a game changing defender and head and shoulders above anything in this years draft class. It's a shame we get sandwiched between Luck and this guy. Just bad god damn luck.Sounds like Royals luck.

-King-
03-06-2013, 01:23 AM
Totally agree. Everyone over 18 should be allowed to seek employment. And if the NFL doesn't like it, tough luck. The owners want to hire Clowney. Let's not pretend like he doesn't have employers after him because EVERY Team would draft him if they could. He's being unfairly treated by a cartel, led by a group of slimy overpaid butt-holes in a cushy league office. :spock: They're the ones who created the rule.

Bump
03-06-2013, 01:30 AM
'Murica! Fuck yeah!

ArmyChief
03-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Hhmm... if only he was allowed a waiver for the NFL. I understand the premise of the rule and it's to protect those not actaully ready to be in the NFL and prevent them from getting hurt, but for those that would excell and set a new standard of play, they should be allowed in on case by case basis.