PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Got gas?

Fire Me Boy!
03-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Not what you think. :)

At the end of the month, I'm having a guy come run a natural gas line from one side of my house (only thing NG in my house is the fireplace) up the outside, across the attic, and down an interior wall for a gas range.

I've cooked on gas before, but never owned... very, very excited to finally have a house with a gas cook top, but what are your experiences? I know the basics, like heat is immediate, less residual heat available, cook times are faster... but what else should I know?

In58men
03-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Make sure you turn the knob all the way to the off position when done :-)

Came home to a house filled with gas before.

Frazod
03-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Make sure you turn knob all the way to the off position when done :-)

This.

For whatever reason, my wife can't smell the rotten egg smell of the natural gas additive. On several occasions I've come home to a house full of gas and an oblivious wife who didn't realize she was one lit cigarette away from blowing up the fucking building. :doh!:

BlackHelicopters
03-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Sorry. Thread title fooled me.

Frosty
03-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Love cooking with gas. All of the benefits you mentioned are there and makes it so you hate cooking on electric when you have to cook elsewhere. The oven doesn't hold heat very well, though that could just be our (20 year old) stove. The stoves also tend to be simpler, making them more durable. Another thing, with ours, you can use the stovetop when the power is out by lighting the burner with a match.

KurtCobain
03-09-2013, 11:30 AM
I have a gas stove and hate it. However, it does come in handy when I want to light a cigarette and I can't find a lighter.

CoMoChief
03-09-2013, 11:31 AM
gas stoves are much better than elect

Bwana
03-09-2013, 11:32 AM
I have a dual setup I bought last year, so I got the best of both worlds. Gas stove with electric over. I had one of those electric flat top stoves and what a useless pile of garbage that was. If would scratch easily and If you had to heat up a 5 gallon SS pot, good luck. It would take so long to heat up the 5 gallon pot that I needed a shave by the time it would boil. I think you are going to enjoy your new setup.

Stewie
03-09-2013, 12:10 PM
I have a dual setup I bought last year, so I got the best of both worlds. Gas stove with electric over. I had one of those electric flat top stoves and what a useless pile of garbage that was. If would scratch easily and If you had to heat up a 5 gallon SS pot, good luck. It would take so long to heat up the 5 gallon pot that I needed a shave by the time it would boil. I think you are going to enjoy your new setup.

Dual fuel is the way to go. I recently bought a new stove and gas wasn't an option. To run a gas line to my kitchen would be a major PITA.

I bought the best coil burner stove I could find and have been very happy.

I've cooked on both electric and gas burners and there are ways to make both work well. As has been said before, know your equipment.

cdcox
03-09-2013, 12:20 PM
So what stove are you getting?

Johnny Vegas
03-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I would love to have a gas stove. I just bought new pots and pans but I can't use them on a gas stove. I should've thought of that before I bought these pots and pans.

Stewie
03-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I would love to have a gas stove. I just bought new pots and pans but I can't use them on a gas stove. I should've thought of that before I bought these pots and pans.

What did you buy that can't be used on a gas stove? An induction stove top limits what materials can be used, but I've never heard of something that can't be used on a gas burner.

Johnny Vegas
03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
What did you buy that can't be used on a gas stove? An induction stove top limits what materials can be used, but I've never heard of something that can't be used on a gas burner.

Anolon advanced. Lady at the checkout counter warned me not to use them on a gas stove or a glass top.

Phobia
03-09-2013, 12:43 PM
You're spending a good chunk to get that gas run. I'm glad it's not me. Gonna take half a day at least.

A Salt Weapon
03-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Make sure to get a convection oven option. Best invention to a gas range. Really the only drawback to gas ovens used to be that because it is real heat, the temperature is inconsistent throughout the oven. Convection has removed that.

Also stay away from the cheaper commercial ranges. Either get a residential range or spend the coin to get a real commercial brand, Viking, Wolf, Etc.

The bluestars, dcs, fisher and paykals are complete garbage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
03-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Make sure you turn knob all the way to the off position when done :-)

This.

For whatever reason, my wife can't smell the rotten egg smell of the natural gas additive. On several occasions I've come home to a house full of gas and an oblivious wife who didn't realize she was one lit cigarette away from blowing up the fucking building. :doh!:
Hmm. While I have no experience working with gas stoves, everything else that I have worked on with a gas valve has either a thermocouple or flame sensor to prevent this sort of thing. I find it odd that a gas stove wouldn't.

In58men
03-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Hmm. While I have no experience working with gas stoves, everything else that I have worked on with a gas valve has either a thermocouple or flame sensor to prevent this sort of thing. I find it odd that a gas stove wouldn't.

This happened to me on a older gas stove. The newer stoves could be equipped with thermocouple or a sensor not sure about older models. It was pretty bad, I smelled the gas outside about 10 ft away from the front door.

Right when I walked in I instantly got light headed. It was probably leaking by for about 6-7 hours.

Fire Me Boy!
03-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Dual fuel is the way to go. I recently bought a new stove and gas wasn't an option. To run a gas line to my kitchen would be a major PITA.

I bought the best coil burner stove I could find and have been very happy.

I've cooked on both electric and gas burners and there are ways to make both work well. As has been said before, know your equipment.

We looked at several dual fuels but couldn't find anything I really liked until we moved into the >$4K range, which I'm not willing to spend on an oven just yet. So we're going about $1,200 on a decent (fully) gas with convection (and an on/off switch for the convection, which is an important feature for some applications).

You're spending a good chunk to get that gas run. I'm glad it's not me. Gonna take half a day at least.

Yeah, we are. It's something we've been saving for and decided to make the plunge because we figure to be in this house for a while. Our guy is figuring about 8 hours, actually (same estimate from two other guys, as well). The issue isn't running it up the side or through the attic, but there's no straight drop down to the kitchen.

mlyonsd
03-09-2013, 01:15 PM
I have a dual setup I bought last year, so I got the best of both worlds. Gas stove with electric over. I had one of those electric flat top stoves and what a useless pile of garbage that was. If would scratch easily and If you had to heat up a 5 gallon SS pot, good luck. It would take so long to heat up the 5 gallon pot that I needed a shave by the time it would boil. I think you are going to enjoy your new setup.This. Can't imagine going to an electric cook top. My next setup will be exactly what you have, gas top, electric oven.

mlyonsd
03-09-2013, 01:20 PM
It's code here for gas pipe joints to be welded. Just a thought if your guy hasn't mentioned it.

In58men
03-09-2013, 01:22 PM
It's code here for gas pipe joints to be welded. Just a thought if your guy hasn't mentioned it.

Don't they have to pass X-rays too?

Fire Me Boy!
03-09-2013, 01:23 PM

Not sure what it is in AL, but I know for a fact our guy is fully certified, licensed and bonded. Even found him on the state's website with certification good until 2014.

mlyonsd
03-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Don't they have to pass X-rays too?Not sure about that. When I built my house the plumber got the gas lines all welded then hooked an air compressor with gauge up to it and left it over night to make sure there were no leaks.

mlyonsd
03-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Not sure what it is in AL, but I know for a fact our guy is fully certified, licensed and bonded. Even found him on the state's website with certification good until 2014.
Sounds like you picked a good guy.

In58men
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Yep, sounds like you done your research. Enjoy your gas stove, wish I could switch myself. I don't care for electric stoves. Apartments suck.

Fire Me Boy!
03-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Haha. Yeah, I figured if I was going to let a guy potentially blow up my house, I shouldn't necessarily go with the cheapest guy out there - a friend who isn't licensed but used to be a plumber. Sorry, dude. You're not installing my gas line.

Just Passin' By
03-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Anolon advanced. Lady at the checkout counter warned me not to use them on a gas stove or a glass top.

I have Analon advanced pans, and I use them on gas stoves without any problems at all.

Just Passin' By
03-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Haha. Yeah, I figured if I was going to let a guy potentially blow up my house, I shouldn't necessarily go with the cheapest guy out there - a friend who isn't licensed but used to be a plumber. Sorry, dude. You're not installing my gas line.

Gas is great, and you can still cook when the power goes out. Just remember to keep some matches around. If you've got a big enough kitchen to had two stoves/ovens, making one gas is a great idea.

Fire Me Boy!
03-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Gas is great, and you can still cook when the power goes out. Just remember to keep some matches around. If you've got a big enough kitchen to had two stoves/ovens, making one gas is a great idea.

Nope, not two stoves. Just one. But my house is all electric except the fireplace. My meter is directly on the other side of the wall from the fireplace, so the only line into my house is about 8-inches. I've wanted gas at the last four places we've lived, and finally will be getting my wish.

Just Passin' By
03-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Nope, not two stoves. Just one. But my house is all electric except the fireplace. My meter is directly on the other side of the wall from the fireplace, so the only line into my house is about 8-inches. I've wanted gas at the last four places we've lived, and finally will be getting my wish.

I should have been more clear, sorry. I didn't word that well. I've generally had a big kitchen with two stoves, and I've always made sure that one stove was gas, because gas is a great option to use. It's basically instant heat, it can still be used when the power goes out, and it's easier to adjust than electric once you get the hang of it.

chefsos
03-09-2013, 03:30 PM
... but what else should I know?That if you're 4 years old and a budding pyro, after locking Mom out of the house while she hangs up laundry to dry and you burn random pieces of paper with the range and stomp out the smoldering ashes on the kitchen floor while she bangs on the back door, you should probably have thought you cunning plan all the way through.

Oh wait, that's me.

Fire Me Boy!
03-09-2013, 04:45 PM
That if you're 4 years old and a budding pyro, after locking Mom out of the house while she hangs up laundry to dry and you burn random pieces of paper with the range and stomp out the smoldering ashes on the kitchen floor while she bangs on the back door, you should probably have thought you cunning plan all the way through.

Oh wait, that's me.

Heh... Been there, my friend.

Groves
03-09-2013, 05:00 PM
My biggest suggestion is this:

While you already have the guy at your house, pay the man to run a line out to your BBQ area.

Paying for propane? Aint nobody got time enough money for that.

(Yea yea, I know, lump charcoal is better, yadda yadda. If nothing else you can use that NG grill to season your cast iron cookware.)

In58men
03-09-2013, 05:04 PM

While you already have the guy at your house, pay the man to run a line out to your BBQ area.

(Yea yea, I know, lump charcoal is better, yadda yadda. If nothing else you can use that NG grill to season your cast iron cookware.)

That's a good way to fuck up good quality meat products

Trench
03-09-2013, 05:58 PM
That if you're 4 years old and a budding pyro, after locking Mom out of the house while she hangs up laundry to dry and you burn random pieces of paper with the range and stomp out the smoldering ashes on the kitchen floor while she bangs on the back door, you should probably have thought you cunning plan all the way through.

Oh wait, that's me.

That could easily have been FMB as well.

scho63
03-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Gas stoves crush cooking on electric. However, Electric ovens are somewhat better than gas

For the cooktop, you can wok and stirfry which you can't on an electric.

You can use a cast iron grill on top of the gas to grill a steak, shrimp, veggies which you can not on electric.

Better to control things like boiling and simmering

You made a wise move and I would also run a line outside for a gas BBQ grill

Fire Me Boy!
03-09-2013, 07:23 PM
That could easily have been FMB as well.

So what?

Fire Me Boy!
03-09-2013, 07:26 PM

Interesting idea. I'm a big fan of using charcoal to grill, but I've been seriously considering moving back to propane for my smoker.

mlyonsd
03-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Interesting idea. I'm a big fan of using charcoal to grill, but I've been seriously considering moving back to propane for my smoker.

As long as you have a smoker that can burn NG and not propane. They aren't the same.

Great Expectations
03-09-2013, 08:20 PM

Might help resale, other than that I see no reason to do it.

Fire Me Boy!
03-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Got the install scheduled for next week... can't wait!