PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Albert to sign tender but still not close on long term deal

Mr. Laz
03-18-2013, 09:17 PM
CHIEFS
Branden Albert to sign one-year contract with Chiefs
March 18
BY ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Left tackle Branden Albert told the Chiefs on Monday he planned to sign their one-year contract offer worth about $9.83 million. Once he signs the deal, Albert will be bound to join the Chiefs for their mandatory mini-camp in June and then for the start of training camp in July.

Beyond that, his situation with the Chiefs remained unclear. The Chiefs and Albert could still negotiate a contract that would keep Albert in Kansas City for a longer term, though Albert recently told the Kansas City Star the sides were not close to an agreement on a multi-year contract before Albert was designated as the franchise player two weeks ago.

General manager John Dorsey expressed a preference for having the player at a prominent position like left tackle under contract for the long term.

“That would make a lot of sense regardless of who it is,” said Dorsey, who wouldn’t confirm that Albert had informed the team of his plans to sign the one-year contract. “You’d like to have some stability at that position.”

Even if the Chiefs and Albert don’t agree on terms of a long-term contract and he plays the season under his one-year deal, the Chiefs would still face some uncertainty about the future of a most important position.

For that reason, the possibility of selecting a left tackle like Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M or Eric Fisher of Central Michigan with the first pick in the draft would seem to be still in play.

If the Chiefs draft either Joeckel or Fisher with their first pick, Albert could be asked to switch positions. The Chiefs have a vacancy at right tackle after releasing last year’s starter, Eric Winston.

Albert, who played guard in college at Virginia, recently said he wouldn’t change positions to accommodate another player.

“I’ll be playing left tackle,” he said.

By signing the one-year deal, Albert would also open the possibility the Chiefs could trade him. A player cannot be traded unless he has a contract for the upcoming season.

The Chiefs were obligated to make the one-year contract offer worth almost $10 million to Albert when they designated him as their franchise player. By using the franchise designation on Albert, the Chiefs were able to effectively keep him off the free-agent market.

Albert, a first-round draft pick of the Chiefs in 2008, has developed into one of the league’s better left tackles.

In58men
03-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Trade his sorry ass away and take a LT in the 1st. That's what I would do. Who's with me?

jd1020
03-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Goodluck on your next team Albert.

Be prepared for the Chiefs to make a lateral move with the #1 pick.

beer bacon
03-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Trade his sorry ass away and take a LT in the 1st. That's what I would do. Who's with me?

My plan as GM would be to not put a better product on the field than the team that went 2-14 last season, so I'm totally with you. Trade two seconds for mediocre QB to replace your mediocre QB? Nice, but not quite enough. Let your legit NFL LT go so you can use your #1 overall pick on another LT? Just enough to not be any better.

Chiefshrink
03-18-2013, 09:27 PM
My plan as GM would be to not put a better product on the field than the team that went 2-14 last season, so I'm totally with you. Trade two seconds for mediocre QB to replace your mediocre QB? Nice, but not quite enough. Let your legit NFL LT go so you can use your #1 overall pick on another LT? Just enough to not be any better.

:thumb:

cdcox
03-18-2013, 09:33 PM
Should have given Colquitt's money to Albert.

CaliforniaChief
03-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Adam Teicher is incapable of writing anything longer than 50 words without typing the words Luke Joeckel. Everytime he's on the radio, it's Luke Joeckel. When he pulls out his thimble and neosporin in his studio apartment at night, he screams out Luke Joeckel. He logs onto Fathead.com every night and types the words Luke Joeckel, waiting in anticipation for when he can put his Luke Joeckel fathead onto his wall.

TimeForWasp
03-18-2013, 10:02 PM

agree, makes no fucking sense

DJ's left nut
03-18-2013, 10:09 PM
I'll be honest - if we still can't come to an agreement after the Long contract, then what more can Reid and Dorsey do?

They can't make him sign a deal and they can't very well go without a LT in 2014.

So while I would still far prefer a trade down, this isn't like letting Albert walk and taking Joeckel - right now Albert is forcing their hand.

The market on a long term contract for a premier pass-blocking LT has been set by Long and Brown over the last 2 years. If Albert won't come to it, then you have to let him go and plan accordingly.

But again, I'd still far prefer that we trade down and take Lane Johnson. In the end, though, we need dance partners for both scenarios - Albert for the LTC and trade partners for the trade-down.

I'm hopeful and optimistic that we'll find both.

BossChief
03-18-2013, 10:34 PM
Ya know...if we don't trade Albert, we are gonna have a sick offensive line next year.

Albert
Swartz
Hudson
Asamoah
Fisher

I mean, damn. That line should dominate the LOS once the get some jelly.

jd1020
03-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Ya know...if we don't trade Albert, we are gonna have a sick offensive line next year.

Albert
Swartz
Hudson
Asamoah
Fisher

The thought of not trading Albert and drafting a RT makes me puke.

cdcox
03-18-2013, 11:05 PM

Albert
Swartz
Hudson
Asamoah
Fisher

If the QB isn't willing to hit the window when it flashes open, it will matter not.

DJ's left nut
03-18-2013, 11:06 PM

Albert
Swartz
Hudson
Asamoah
Fisher

Hudson's knee exploded and he was never very good anyway. It's hard to really get excited about the possibility of him returning to the below average levels he had set for himself before his knee shattered.

I'm at a loss for why people continue to write Hudson into this O-line. He's a guy we should be seeking starter quality depth to cover for if nothing else.

The line does need help and anyone that is militantly anti O-line isn't paying much attention. That said, it's just not a very efficient use of the pick.

SAUTO
03-18-2013, 11:07 PM
Thought Hudson just broke his leg
Posted via Mobile Device

mcaj22
03-18-2013, 11:09 PM

Albert
Swartz
Hudson
Asamoah
Fisher

and by this logic you have wasted

1st rounder on Fisher
2nd rounder on Jeff Allen sitting the bench
3rd rounder on Donald Stephenson sitting the bench

great use of draft picks Chiefs!

BossChief
03-18-2013, 11:10 PM

Likewise. But I can also acknowledge that having an offensive line with that much quality is a game changer.

cdcox
03-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Seriously, a team with Albert + Fisher/Joeckel is going to be better than a team with only Fisher/Joeckel, and that's the bottom line for me. If you let Albert walk to save money (while giving your stinking punter money that could be going to a T) that is the worst use of 1.1 I can think of. To me if you let Albert walk you missed on an opportunity to improve your team just to justify drafting a player that you fell in love with. At least with Albert + Fisher/Joeckel the team got better.

DJ's left nut
03-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Thought Hudson just broke his leg
Posted via Mobile Device

Looks like you were right.

I thought it was one of those nasty combo deals where the kneecap broke and a bunch of shit snapped in the process.

Looks like I'm just conflating reports; early reports said knee injury, later reports said broken leg.

I still don't think we should count on him for much, though. I was never terribly impressed by him at C.

jd1020
03-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Seriously, a team with Albert + Fisher/Joeckel is going to be better than a team with only Fisher/Joeckel, and that's the bottom line for me. If you let Albert walk to save money (while giving your stinking punter money that could be going to a T) that is the worst use of 1.1 I can think of. To me if you let Albert walk you missed on an opportunity to improve your team just to justify drafting a player that you fell in love with. At least with Albert + Fisher/Joeckel the team got better.

Albert is going to be here for 1 year.

The Chiefs and Albert seem to be as far apart as Bowe and *****.

If you trade Albert you are getting more picks to do something to better the team for the future. If you don't trade him you lose him next year and then you move your RT to LT and you're back to square 1.

Guess I forgot the Chiefs were putting all their eggs in the 2013 basket with Alex Smith and a RT at 1.1.

DJ's left nut
03-18-2013, 11:16 PM

But at this point they're not letting Albert walk; which I think everyone will agree would've just been monumentally stupid.

But let's say you're Andy Reid and you realize that Brandon Albert is driving a damn hard bargain. You see the writing on the wall that says you're probably not going to get him to sign long-term. You also know you have a 2-14 team that probably isn't going to truly contend this year.

So you take Fisher in preparation for the fact that Albert isn't eager to stick around without at least testing the market. Then, rather than watch Albert walk in 2014, you deal him for a 2nd rounder that actually has the ability to become a legitimate asset.

I'm not saying this is anywhere near my ideal scenario, but isn't it at least a defensible one?

EDIT: What JD said...slightly less snarkily. There's a long-term justification for that series of events. Even though the trade-down and LTC from Albert is still easily my preferred outcome.

cdcox
03-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Albert is going to be here for 1 year.

The Chiefs and Albert seem to be as far apart as Bowe and *****.

If you trade Albert you are getting more picks to do something to better the team for the future. If you don't trade him you lose him next year and then you move your RT to LT and you're back to square 1.

Guess I forgot the Chiefs were putting all their eggs in the 2013 basket with Alex Smith and a RT at 1.1.

Albert is worth more than a typical 2nd. Trading Albert for a 2nd probably doesn't make your team better.

mcaj22
03-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Albert is worth more t han a typical 2nd. Trading Albert for a 2nd probably doesn't make your team better.

so you think Albert is worth a 1st round pick?

on what market? Madden?

jd1020
03-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Albert is worth more than a typical 2nd. Trading Albert for a 2nd probably doesn't make your team better.

"Probably"

I'll take probably over a guaranteed not to.

cdcox
03-18-2013, 11:20 PM
But at this point they're not letting Albert walk; which I think everyone will agree would've just been monumentally stupid.

But let's say you're Andy Reid and you realize that Brandon Albert is driving a damn hard bargain. You see the writing on the wall that says you're probably not going to get him to sign long-term. You also know you have a 2-14 team that probably isn't going to truly contend this year.

So you take Fisher in preparation for the fact that Albert isn't eager to stick around without at least testing the market. Then, rather than watch Albert walk in 2014, you deal him for a 2nd rounder that actually has the ability to become a legitimate asset.

I'm not saying this is anywhere near my ideal scenario, but isn't it at least a defensible one?

EDIT: What JD said...slightly less snarkily. There's a long-term justification for that series of events. Even though the trade-down and LTC from Albert is still easily my preferred outcome.

Albert isn't going to get a better from Miam or anyone else than Long did. You probably aren't going to work out a trade for Albert unless he agrees to a reasonable contract with someone. He's indicated an eagerness to stay in KC. Unless his stated desire to stay in KC is a lie, he won't go anywhere unless Reid/Dorsey just don't want him around. A second for Albert isn't enough value to me, especially if it is to justify drafting a player they fell in love with. I'll forgive if the tackle they draft ends up a HOFer and plays 12+ years for the Chiefs.

DJ's left nut
03-18-2013, 11:22 PM

Trading 1 year of virtually anyone on a 2-14 team with a 10/11 win ceiling probably makes the team better long-term.

As much better as trading down for an extra 1st and 2nd would and getting Albert to agree long-term? Nope, but you have to have contingencies for when things don't go according to your plan.

Hammock Parties
03-18-2013, 11:24 PM
The elephant in the room is maybe Reid has hated Albert's tape this whole time and doesn't think he fits what he wants to do.

So if that's true...shrug...get something for him.

DJ's left nut
03-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Albert isn't going to get a better offer than Long did with Miami or anyone else. You probably aren't going to work out a trade for Albert unless he agrees to a reasonable contract with someone. He's indicated an eagerness to stay in KC. Unless his stated desire to stay in KC is a lie, he won't go anywhere unless Reid/Dorsey just don't want him around. A second for Albert isn't enough value to me, especially if it is to justify drafting a player they fell in love with. I'll forgive if the tackle they draft ends up a HOFer and plays 12+ years for the Chiefs.

I agree, but I also don't think Albert's not been offered a fair deal.

If Albert's refusing to sign long-term despite Long setting the market, he's being unreasonable and is going to want to hit the market. When a premier FA hits the market, 90% of the time he's gone. I don't have any interest in losing Albert as a FA.

I don't think Joeckel or Fisher is "a player they fell in love with"; it's not like they're sending small armies to work them out. Rather, both of these guys are simply solid solutions to potential problems.

DJ's left nut
03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
The elephant in the room is maybe Reid has hated Albert's tape this whole time and doesn't think he fits what he wants to do.

I heard a description of a basketball player that immediately made me think of Albert:

"A perfect trainwreck"

That's exactly Albert. Nothing about that guy's technique makes sense. He's a quirky, fundamentally unsound goofball of a blocker...that by God gets things done.

I could absolutely see a crusty old ball coach hating that kind of player. Because if you can't understand why his approach works, you can't coach up a solution if it stops working.

Yeah, it's possible that Reid just does not know what to make of what he sees in Brandon Albert - could any of us really blame him?

cdcox
03-18-2013, 11:27 PM
so you think Albert is worth a 1st round pick?

on what market? Madden?

If you list the key contributors on the Chiefs, Albert is on that list. So are a bunch of other 1st round picks. Flowers, Charles, and Houston are the only key contributors that aren't first round picks. Odds are pretty long of getting a better player than Albert with a 2nd round pick.

Hammock Parties
03-18-2013, 11:29 PM
This all could have been avoided if Scott Pioli has just done his fucking job a year ago.

He is still fucking this franchise from the grave.

philfree
03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Miami has two 2nds and two 3rd round picks. Nobody thinks we can get a 2nd and a 3rd for Albert? I don't think a single 2nd is enough.

jd1020
03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
This all could have been avoided if Scott ***** has just done his ****ing job a year ago.

He is still ****ing this franchise from the grave.

What makes you think Albert is just now, all of a sudden, being unreasonable?

Hammock Parties
03-18-2013, 11:31 PM
What makes you think Albert is just now, all of a sudden, being unreasonable?

I'm sure he's being reasonable.

My gut feeling is the Chiefs want to pay him top money for a guard or right tackle.

cdcox
03-18-2013, 11:31 PM
We're doing it wrong.

Brandon Albert +1.1+2.34+2014 2nd Rounder < Luke Joeckel, Alex Smith, +2.42

Dorsey and Reid just wrote that equation on the board.

boogblaster
03-18-2013, 11:34 PM
yup .....

AustinChief
03-18-2013, 11:58 PM

That is a distinct possibility OR Albert lied about being reasonable in regards to money and has ridiculous demands OR... (here comes my tin foil hat theory)

Albert wasn't lying but he is letting the Chiefs USE HIm to gauge how badly other teams want/need a LT which will give the Chiefs more leverage in a possible trade down scenario... and once they have played that to its full extent he will sign a long term deal and stay at LT.

Ok Now I'll go ULTIMATE tin foil hat on ya... the Chiefs are now working on signing Vollmer to play RT thereby taking another potential LT off the market and increasing demand even further.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PXeDY3KOwgA/ReMVUaRcQwI/AAAAAAAAAMY/WPQ3frXDp7w/s400/Joaquin+Phoenix+in+Aluminum+Hat.jpg
a man can dream...

cdcox
03-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Just our luck to root for a team that tries to corner the market on LT talent instead of a team that tries to corner the market on QB talent.

patteeu
03-19-2013, 07:43 AM

Should you pay him 50% more than the highest paid LT in the league or is there a point at which you'd say Albert's demands are too high?

patteeu
03-19-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm sure he's being reasonable.

My gut feeling is the Chiefs want to pay him top money for a guard or right tackle.

That's my guess too. But I don't discount the possibility that either (a) they just don't like Albert, or (b) Albert's demands are unreasonable. There's really no way of knowing because you can't believe the public comments of either side.

Discuss Thrower
03-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Just our luck to root for a team that tries to corner the market on LT talent instead of a team that tries to corner the market on QB talent.

Well the Hunts chose *silver* over gold when they tried their cornering the market gambit.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Not really. They went 2-14 and had a LT that gave up 1 sack protecting piss poor QB's and just cut a Top 5 RT. Hardly what I call improving the line.

Direckshun
03-19-2013, 07:57 AM
I haven't read this thread, but the "still not close" part is not supported by the article.

The only thing the article goes on is based on what Albert said about the negotiating process weeks ago. They were not close then, thus the franchise tag.

That does not reflect the changing in events, however, namely the total shift in leverage thanks to the franchise tag, and the Jake Long signing which clearly set the market.

I'm guessing, after all this is said and done, that the two sides are far closer to landing a long-term deal.

If not, you can legitimately keep Albert and keep working him. There are no players worth franchising next year, so we can keep that leverage on him for two years.

Pasta Little Brioni
03-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Yeah, this article is a POS