PDA

View Full Version : Football PFF anyone....

DTLB58
03-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 5h

Want to join the PFF team? Now is your chance https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/19/become-part-of-the-pff-team/ …

I seriously considered this because I have been looking for something else to do but they want major commitments for deadlines (which is to be expected) on Sunday nights, MonDAYS and TuesDAYS. Which when I finally get back to work after this knee replacement surgery recovery I wont be able to commit that time. :#

Whether you agree or not with their rating system I think a person could really learn a lot more about the game because of how much is required in game film study.

Anyways, I just thought I would throw it out there in case somebody who was interested didn't see it on their site or twitter. Good luck. :thumb:

AustinChief
03-19-2013, 06:18 PM
HAHAHAHA.. waiting for GoChiefs to tell me again how they employ EXPERTS to break down game film.

It's just regular people watching regular game film. This is fine for a good amount of stats (like # of snaps participated in, etc etc) but there are a ton of "stats" they purport to collect that I wouldn't trust Joe Fan to "analyze".

The worst part is that (at least in the past I don't know the current practices) don't have any oversight. It's not like 5 guys watch the same film and they normalize the data from there.

I'll give them credit though, it's a fantastic scam they have sold people on!

LoneWolf
03-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF 5h

Want to join the PFF team? Now is your chance https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/19/become-part-of-the-pff-team/ …

I seriously considered this because I have been looking for something else to do but they want major commitments for deadlines (which is to be expected) on Sunday nights, MonDAYS and TuesDAYS. Which when I finally get back to work after this knee replacement surgery recovery I wont be able to commit that time. :#

Whether you agree or not with their rating system I think a person could really learn a lot more about the game because of how much is required in game film study.

Anyways, I just thought I would throw it out there in case somebody who was interested didn't see it on their site or twitter. Good luck. :thumb:

Uh, no. And just in case you were going to ask, I'm not going to dress up like Iron Man and attend Comicon.

It's nice to know that a group of uninformed Joe Fans have decided which players are good and which ones suck. Clay's Bible, what a fucking joke.

Chiefnj2
03-19-2013, 06:30 PM
HAHAHAHA.. waiting for GoChiefs to tell me again how they employ EXPERTS to break down game film.

It's just regular people watching regular game film. This is fine for a good amount of stats (like # of snaps participated in, etc etc) but there are a ton of "stats" they purport to collect that I wouldn't trust Joe Fan to "analyze".

The worst part is that (at least in the past I don't know the current practices) don't have any oversight. It's not like 5 guys watch the same film and they normalize the data from there.

Yep, regular broadcast tv. It's a great scam especially DB and WR ratings where you generally don't get a good view of the field unless a particular player is targeted.

Direckshun
03-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Do you guys think I should apply?

We should make this a ChiefsPlanet venture: get Direckshun a PFF gig.

Using the collective resources of ChiefsPlanet, I bet we could get this done.

I could probably get an endorsement from the editors of Arrowhead Pride, Arrowhead Addict, and hopefully somebody like AustinChief for ChiefsPlanet, here.

What do you guys think?

Hammock Parties
03-19-2013, 06:38 PM
DO IT MANG

LoneWolf
03-19-2013, 06:39 PM

All you should have to do is send them some of your mock drafts. They'll be happy to add you to their cess pool of fail after reading some of that garbage.

AustinChief
03-19-2013, 06:42 PM

Screw that, with the people we have here, we could recreate PFF ourselves. Couldn't be any LESS accurate!

Hell, require our "analysts" to use the ALL-22 and High End Zone views that are now available and we'd have a better product!

I can create the backend for it if cdcox wants to join up and write the data analysis portion!

Direckshun
03-19-2013, 06:42 PM
All you should have to do is send them some of your mock drafts. They'll be happy to add you to their cess pool of fail after reading some of that garbage.

LMAO

I've now got the famous Mr. Wendler of SB Nation endorsing me.

I must now do this. I know the Thormans and Patrick Allen of Arrowhead Addict so I could always drop them as references.

I will be emailing the folks in the OP's link within the hour. I'll update this thread on my progress. We'll see if this dog hunts.

Direckshun
03-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Hell, require our "analysts" to use the ALL-22 and High End Zone views that are now available and we'd have a better product!

I can create the backend for it if cdcox wants to join up and write the data analysis portion!

LMAO Awesome.

Bowser
03-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Screw that, with the people we have here, we could recreate PFF ourselves. Couldn't be any LESS accurate!

This is where ChiefsPlanet ascends to the Next Level.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2013, 06:44 PM
If you get the gig, you are required to submit all grades on Dexter McCluster, Alex Smith and Sean Smith to me for verification.

CHECKS AND BALANCES MUST BE IN PLACE

Direckshun
03-19-2013, 06:45 PM
This is where ChiefsPlanet ascends to the Next Level.

ChiefsPlanet Platinum.

Direckshun
03-19-2013, 06:45 PM
If you get the gig, you are required to submit all grades on Dexter McCluster, Alex Smith and Sean Smith to me for verification.

CHECKS AND BALANCES MUST BE IN PLACE

I will warn you: "hot garbage" is not preferred PFF lexicon.

...Not that I would know.

...yet.

AndChiefs
03-19-2013, 06:49 PM
I will warn you: "hot garbage" is not preferred PFF lexicon.

...Not that I would know.

...yet.

What about, "After deep analysis of last week's game it been determined that Matt Cassel deserves to be thrown into a burning AIDS tree after being forced to drink antifreeze. -4.2."

Sorter
03-19-2013, 06:55 PM

If you're paying for the A22, I'm game. LMAO

Sorter
03-19-2013, 06:56 PM
What about, "After deep analysis of last week's game it been determined that Matt Cassel deserves to be thrown into a burning AIDS tree after being forced to drink antifreeze. -4.2."

ROFL

AustinChief
03-19-2013, 06:57 PM
If you're paying for the A22, I'm game. LMAO

hmm, I wonder if we could get a deal where we pay for A22 in exchange for xx hours of analysis...

Hammock Parties
03-19-2013, 06:58 PM
A22 is cheap guys.

Sorter
03-19-2013, 07:00 PM
hmm, I wonder if we could get a deal where we pay for A22 in exchange for xx hours of analysis...

I'd be willing to sleep less.

As for Clay, I'm a cheap bastard. LMAO

Direckshun
03-19-2013, 07:02 PM
I'd be willing to sleep less.

As for Clay, I'm a cheap bastard. LMAO

Read: poor.

LoneWolf
03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
A22 is cheap guys.

If it's so cheap then why doesn't that ass bag from the UK that runs PFF pay for it?

Hammock Parties
03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
If it's so cheap then why doesn't that ass bag from the UK that runs PFF pay for it?

They don't pay for their own guys to have resources to do the job?

TribalElder
03-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Now my Internet and Sunday ticket are a business expense!

lol

Can I expense parking, charcoal, and brisket?

LoneWolf
03-19-2013, 07:14 PM
They don't pay for their own guys to have resources to do the job?

They use regular television footage. Just read that yesterday in an article about Mr. Hornsby. You know the soccer fan from the U.K. who decided he liked football after seeing a Dolphins game on television. He couldn't get games on TV so he listened to them on Armed Forces Radio. He decided after watching a few games on the Internet that he knew more than the announcers and since he loved statistics, he decided to start a website.

That is the author of your "Bible." It's almost as disappointing as if you found out Dr. Seuss was the author of the actual Bible.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2013, 07:17 PM
He's actually a genius though.

I mean the NFL supports his product!

Just awesome. Awesome man, awesome site. Awesome.

LoneWolf
03-19-2013, 07:21 PM
He's actually a genius though.

I mean the NFL supports his product!

Just awesome. Awesome man, awesome site. Awesome.

I don't know why, but I picture you sitting naked in a large leather office chair with a bottle of lube in one hand and mouse in the other furiously pouring over PFF stats. :D

Nightfyre
03-19-2013, 07:22 PM

Shit, I already subscribe to the All-22.

Direckshun
03-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Just emailed them a cover letter. LMAO We'll see if anything comes of it.

I really douched it up, too. Total ass-sucking. Here's a taste:

I read PFF frequently and have a great appreciation for it -- one of the best ways to survey a new free agent pickup is to see what PFF has to say about them! So needless to say, I'm very familiar with the product you put out.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Wouldn't it great if a conspiracy hatched right here to rate a Chief with extreme bias.

It would be so great.

"let's get Charles to the top of PFF!"

Quesadilla Joe
03-19-2013, 07:55 PM

There was an article in Sports Illustrated sometime last year that talked about how some NFL teams are actually starting to use Football Outsiders and Pro Football Focus.

"There's so much information out there, it'd be foolish not to use these resources," says Khan, referring to the growing number of websites that do their own play-by-play charting—sites such as Pro Football Focus, the brainchild of Englishman Neil Hornsby, who now has 26 employees analyzing video of every game and supplying data to seven teams.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1206508/1/index.htm

Hammock Parties
03-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Thank you friend

Sorter
03-19-2013, 07:57 PM
There was an article in Sports Illustrated sometime last year that talked about how some NFL teams are actually starting to use Football Outsiders and Pro Football Focus.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1206508/1/index.htm

WTF KnowMo?

AustinChief
03-19-2013, 07:59 PM

Old news. Some of the stats (the ones that any monkey can record) are useful and accurate... BUT any team would be beyond stupid to take the more subjective "judgment call" stats seriously.

I also would wager that they don't realize what a slipshod organization PFF is. I can't comment on FOs methodology.

Quesadilla Joe
03-19-2013, 08:00 PM
WTF KnowMo?

I'm done with that bet. I've honored it long enough, it was only supposed to go until the combine but I was getting shit ready for the watch party and didn't have time to argue with PGM about it.

LoneWolf
03-19-2013, 08:04 PM

Do some research you welching bitch. The teams that get information from PFF use it for the mundane stats like number of snaps played an such. It's easier to let some limey blokes in England compile these stats than use valuable time doing it themselves.

Not one team is actually using PFF to evaluate player's performance.

TimeForWasp
03-19-2013, 08:04 PM

I could probably get an endorsement from the editors of Arrowhead Pride, Arrowhead Addict, and hopefully somebody like AustinChief for ChiefsPlanet, here.

What do you guys think?

You have to mention aids trees, antifreeze and rape alot.

Nightfyre
03-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Somebody save us! Knowmo's weeping vagina has built up too much pressure due to his inability to post on chiefsplanet, resulting in his dental dam bursting. Our villages (threads) downstream (well, all of them) will surely be swept away in a horrific flood!

Direckshun
03-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Hello, my name is Nathan Jahnke and I?m an analyst at Pro Football Focus.

Thank you for your interest in joining our company. Attached to this e-mail is an application form which specifies a bit about what would be expected of you, and asks you some questions about yourself.

Assuming you are still interested, you need to send the filled out application back to me at this e-mail (nathan.jahnke@profootballfocus.com) by April 5th.

Any questions should be directed to me via e-mail. I will be the one communicating with you throughout the application process for as long as you are still involved with the process, and you would join my team initially if you successfully make it through the application process.

Again thank you for your interest and I look forward to hearing back from you,

-- Nathan Jahnke Analyst | ProFootballFocus.com

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5eGgrgW0FaA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties
03-19-2013, 10:28 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5eGgrgW0FaA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7r3u3hFou1rpphqm.gif

Direckshun
03-19-2013, 10:32 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=148&pictureid=1329

Reaper16
03-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Joeckel's PFF grades are about to get a boost.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2013, 10:37 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/picture.php?albumid=148&pictureid=1329

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/dizzyfirefly/dbp8v7.gif

Quesadilla Joe
03-20-2013, 12:57 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/dizzyfirefly/dbp8v7.gif

You should persue this and if you make it through the preliminary stage, who knows, it might lead to a writing gig where you can use some of your gif/video making skills. Seriously you should give it a shot and see what happens.

Direckshun
03-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Shut the fuck up, welcher. Christ.

Quesadilla Joe
03-20-2013, 01:02 AM
Shut the **** up, welcher. Christ.

???

Hammock Parties
03-20-2013, 01:03 AM
You should persue this and if you make it through the preliminary stage, who knows, it might lead to a writing gig where you can use some of your gif/video making skills. Seriously you should give it a shot and see what happens.

:facepalm:

Direckshun is the one who wants to be a PFF indentured slave.

DTLB58
03-20-2013, 02:32 AM
Just getting back to reading through the posts here....Sorry, I thought I remembered thinking back to last season everyone here thought pretty highly of the stats PFF was putting out.

I remembered several threads and conversations about the stats. Didn't know there was such a negativity towards it here or I wouldn't have posted this. :doh!:

I have heard the guy on the radio a few times, most recently last week on 610 and I thought it sounded like he knew wtf he was talking about. My bad I guess.

DTLB58
03-20-2013, 10:31 AM
@PFF: How did QBs fare against the blitz last year? Good news for Chiefs fans: http://t.co/EjTD9y1iAj

Just Passin' By
03-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Just getting back to reading through the posts here....Sorry, I thought I remembered thinking back to last season everyone here thought pretty highly of the stats PFF was putting out.

I remembered several threads and conversations about the stats. Didn't know there was such a negativity towards it here or I wouldn't have posted this. :doh!:

I have heard the guy on the radio a few times, most recently last week on 610 and I thought it sounded like he knew wtf he was talking about. My bad I guess.

The great thing about PFF stats is that they allow you to ignore whomever is using them, unless it's just noting snaps taken. The moment someone cites to "PFF has him ranked", you know that person isn't worth listening to on the subject.

Hootie
03-20-2013, 03:03 PM
this is hilarious

a bunch of Wendler's are deciding who grades out the best and then Wendler uses that site as his Bible.

wow

Direckshun
03-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Hello, I received your filled out application. Based on your
application, you fit the criteria to proceed with the process. You
will be hearing back from me sometime during the weekend of April
5th-7th regarding the next step. If you haven’t heard from me by April
9th, please feel free to contact me. Thank you again for your interest
and I look forward to the training process,

--
Nathan Jahnke

Analyst | ProFootballFocus.com

Direckshun
03-21-2013, 03:21 PM
For those trying to keep up at home, that means that they'll be sending me a manual soon for my perusal to teach me what to look for. At that point, I will be asked to complete a full game's worth of player participation.

So long as I do that alright (i.e. grade the player roughly close to how they'd grade him), they will give me a FREE YEAR SUBSCRIPTION to PFF along with feedback, telling me whether I get to go to the "next stage."

BlackHelicopters
03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
I smell a subscription or pay wall soon in CP's future. Damn.

AustinChief
03-21-2013, 03:29 PM
I smell a subscription or pay wall soon in CP's future. Damn.

We will only be doing that for Direckshun's "premium" content regarding player stats, mock drafts and political takes.

To maximize profits, you can now pay to AVOID seeing any of the above.

:D

DTLB58
03-21-2013, 03:30 PM
For those trying to keep up at home, that means that they'll be sending me a manual soon for my perusal to teach me what to look for. At that point, I will be asked to complete a full game's worth of player participation.

So long as I do that alright (i.e. grade the player roughly close to how they'd grade him), they will give me a FREE YEAR SUBSCRIPTION to PFF along with feedback, telling me whether I get to go to the "next stage."

You're welcome ;)

Easy 6
03-21-2013, 03:52 PM

Guess i cant speak for everyone, but i dont see it as negativity per se, just more of a recognition that you cant always put all of your eggs in their basket, like i said in another thread they cant always know what a given assignment/playcall was, so some of its bound to be skewed in the wrong direction.

But i also think they serve a very useful purpose regarding many things, and atleast a few teams have said they look to those guys for information, so i definitely get the impression they're respected.

jimw51
03-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Being negative on this board is thing. Having has facts nothing to do with anything.

jd1020
03-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Being negative on this board is thing. Having has facts nothing to do with anything.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OAiAq5iXxtk/TudnegV88kI/AAAAAAAACSM/0u1WqBCOJ8o/s1600/bush-huh.jpg

Sorter
03-21-2013, 04:40 PM

wut

Easy 6
03-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Jim, your family has asked me to come over and talk to you, they're VERY worried about your drinking, c'mon, lets go get a coffee and get a handle on this thing...

jimw51
03-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Works for me

jimw51
03-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Think I need another drink

Hammock Parties
03-21-2013, 04:53 PM

http://i.imgur.com/i5ddb.gif

BlackHelicopters
03-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Solution for any problem: Vodka, Vicodin and Klonopin.

Hammock Parties
03-21-2013, 04:57 PM

You will forward that shit.

Direckshun
03-21-2013, 06:03 PM
You will forward that shit.

I am a fan of complete and total transparency.

LoneWolf
03-21-2013, 06:09 PM
I am a fan of complete and total transparency.

Congratulations! You are well on your way to joining the club of know nothing douchebags.

Direckshun
03-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Congratulations! You are well on your way to joining the club of know nothing douchebags.

Not yet.

Direckshun
03-21-2013, 06:12 PM
So can someone tell me what GameRewind or GamePass is, which one is better, and which one is cheaper?

Sorter
03-21-2013, 06:59 PM
So can someone tell me what GameRewind or GamePass is, which one is better, and which one is cheaper?

LMAO

Direckshun
04-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Hello, attached to this e-mail is the Player Participation guide. This is the type of analysis we will ask you to do during the season if you are added to the Pro Football Focus team. You would be asked to do one game of this analysis each week, or potentially more if we need more games done and it fits with your schedule. Over this week, it would be to your benefit to read this document over and get yourself as familiar with it as you can.

Once you have read it over, if you could get back to me by Saturday, April 13th at 11:59 PM eastern time that would be great. All you need to let me know in that e-mail is if you would like to proceed with the training, or if this is something you are no longer interested in. If I do not hear from you by that time, I will assume you are no longer interested. Sometime on Sunday, April 14th in the afternoon, I will be e-mailing out the template for a first game of practice analysis to those still interested. At that time you will need to have Microsoft Excel if you don?t already, and a subscription to NFL Game Rewind or some other method for acquiring footage for the game. You will be given one week to complete that game. From there I will check your accuracy and provide feedback. How accurate you are at getting the players, actions and positions correct over the multiple trial games will heavily determine who ends up joining the Pro Football Focus team.

This document is for your eyes and your eyes only. This document should not be shared with anyone else. During this week if you have any other questions/comments/concerns regarding the Player Participation guide or the training process, please feel free to e-mail me and I will get back to you as soon as I can. The guide is subject to change between now and the beginning of the 2013 season, and I will let you know if any changes occur.

Enjoy familiarizing yourself with the guide, and I look forward to hearing back to you by the end of Saturday the 13th.

-- Nathan Jahnke Analyst | ProFootballFocus.com

Direckshun
04-08-2013, 10:07 PM
The guide they sent was 37 pages long.

I'd dig into this thing, but they said it takes 12 hours for a beginner to go over one game.

I don't have the time, and I don't have GameRewind or League Pass.

I may have to bow out of this one.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-08-2013, 10:18 PM
"For your eyes ONLY, maing"! You broke da' code! Dey comin' fo' yo' ass now...
Posted via Mobile Device

Direckshun
04-08-2013, 10:25 PM
"For your eyes ONLY, maing"! You broke da' code! Dey comin' fo' yo' ass now...
Posted via Mobile Device

Wash my testicles.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-08-2013, 10:32 PM
Wash my testicles.

Whip the little fuckers out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
04-08-2013, 11:02 PM
SEND ME THE GUIDE

Direckshun
04-09-2013, 06:45 AM
SEND ME THE GUIDE

PM me your email address.

It's nothing terribly juicy, just detailing how they prefer to label each player on the field when they line up. 37 pages worth.