PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Tubby Smith fired from Minnesota

Mr_Tomahawk
03-25-2013, 12:03 PM
WTF...? Didn't think he was a bad coach there. Had a decent season...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/199883041.html

Reerun_KC
03-25-2013, 12:05 PM
WOW didn't see that coming...

Mav
03-25-2013, 12:05 PM
WTF...? Didn't think he was a bad coach there. Had a decent season...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/199883041.html

wow, that is stunning. Dumb, and stunning. Not exactly like a place where people are DYING to coach.....

Graystoke
03-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Thats Crazy.
Got in the Tourney 3 of the past 6

DJ's left nut
03-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Well there's another FA coach who's better than what we have.

mnchiefsguy
03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
Kind of shocked...they blew the doors off of UCLA, and made the 2nd round.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
People are saying they are going to go after Shaka?

Didn't Shaka turn down better jobs the year they beat KU? And then he signed an extension with VCU?

Stupid stupid move by Minnesota unless they have a deal in place already for his Tubby's replacement.

Fritz88
03-25-2013, 12:19 PM

Didn't Shaka turn down better jobs the year they beat KU? And then he signed an extension with VCU?

Stupid stupid move by Minnesota unless they have a deal in place already for his Tubby's replacement.

UCLA just fired their coach..

mnchiefsguy
03-25-2013, 12:20 PM

I would agree. However, this is the U of M we are talking about...they seem to screw up every sport but hockey.

Seems like Shaka turned down a couple of really good opportunities to stay at VCU. Can't remember for sure, but wasn't one of them the Illini job?

Jerm
03-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Yeah he turned down Illinois. He's from Wisconsin and I bet they play that card...won't work.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Yeah he turned down Illinois. He's from Wisconsin and I bet they play that card...won't work.

He great up in Madison, but was a Michigan Wolverine fan.

...not that it make a difference when we are speaking of Minnesota.

KC_Connection
03-25-2013, 12:27 PM
What does Minnesota basketball think they are exactly to be firing coaches like this?

Mr_Tomahawk
03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
I would agree. However, this is the U of M we are talking about...they seem to screw up every sport but hockey

Oh I know.

I was going to Grad school at the UoM when Tubby was hired. It was a big day. Students felt spoiled to get such a coach...

The U is getting a bit cocky now...

KChiefer
03-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Being in some MN game chats vs IL, fans hate him and many think Shaka Smart's going to take the job. ROFL

EIDT: Yup, Shaka already got brought up. Anythings possible, but c'mon, he turned down IL.

phisherman
03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Haith, here's the door, Tubby, come on in.

Discuss Thrower
03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Oh I know.

I was going to Grad school at the UoM when Tubby was hired. It was a big day. Students felt spoiled to get such a coach...

The U is getting a bit cocky now...

Even though I'm fucking up majorly in classes where I'm at and the case would've been the same had I traveled north, I wish I was a Gopher

GoHuge
03-25-2013, 12:38 PM
What does Minnesota basketball think they are exactly to be firing coaches like this?A destination........of some sort?

ptlyon
03-25-2013, 12:40 PM
I hope Dauber still has a job

Mr_Tomahawk
03-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Even though I'm ****ing up majorly in classes where I'm at and the case would've been the same had I traveled north, I wish I was a Gopher

It's a nice campus that straddles the Mississippi...pretty badass actually. I got my undergrad from KU, so going from Lawrence to Minneapolis was a big change...

Had a blast during the KU vs UMN Insight Bowl. :thumb:

Discuss Thrower
03-25-2013, 12:42 PM
It's a nice campus that straddles the Mississippi...pretty badass actually. I got my undergrad from KU, so going from Lawrence to Minneapolis was a big change...

Had a blast during the KU vs UMN Insight Bowl. :thumb:

I know, it's a beautiful campus. Wish I would've gotten a look inside the basketball arena.

Hoover
03-25-2013, 12:44 PM
What a dumb move. As a Hawkeye fan I applaud their stupidity.

Demonpenz
03-25-2013, 12:45 PM
He didn't get it done and he is old as balls. Good move.

Mr. Laz
03-25-2013, 12:45 PM
MU should be all over Tubby like the taint lickers they are

Mr_Tomahawk
03-25-2013, 12:49 PM
He didn't get it done and he is old as balls. Good move.

Yeah.

...winningest season since 06-07. Knocked off #1 team in the country. Had the program going in the right direction.

Coaches will flock to be the coach at Minnesota. ROFL

Demonpenz
03-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah.

...winningest season since 06-07. Knocked off #1 team in the country. Had the program going in the right direction.

Coaches will flock to be the coach at Minnesota. ROFL

yeah yeah yeah...wouldn't expect anything less than a Chiefs BB. Where 9-7 and headed the right direction is Jesuscum or something.

Crush
03-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Meanwhile, Haith is extremely proud of what he has accomplished thus far.

CoMoChief
03-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Minnesota....the bball job that every coach craves for.

ROFL...they're ****ing retarded....Tubby has just gotten that program somewhat on track, or as much as it's probably going to get, and Minnesota wants to replace that with what exactly?

The UCLA is hands down the sexiest job out there right now. Reports have already said that Smart is a candidate and I would assume Stevens is as well. Both IMO would be matches made in heaven...esp Stevens.

Anyone know if Baylor's Scott Drew is on the hot seat? He should be

Then there's Minneosta. Neither is better than VCU (Smart) or Butler (Stevens)

CoMoChief
03-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Meanwhile, Haith is extremely proud of what he has accomplished thus far.

Hah....well as bad as some MU fans want him axed, as long as he's churnin' out 25 win seasons he's not going anywhere, regardless of the choke jobs. Alden is perfectly fine with that.

BlackHelicopters
03-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Minny has had some moderate success. Tubby is a good coach. No sense.

RealSNR
03-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Tubby shouldn't be blamed for the revolving door of players that have gone in and out.

And I'm not talking about one-and-dones either. Seems like every year that team had promise, but it all wound up being a fucking mess due to some guy being a fuckhead.

Tubby wasn't exactly a stupendous coach. I think people might be overrating him here just a tad. But he absolutely deserved better than what he got from his players.

WilliamTheIrish
03-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Shaka isn't going to UCLA. cause CoMo said he was.

It will be BrUC(e)...LA!!

CoMoChief
03-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Shaka isn't going to UCLA. cause CoMo said he was.

It will be BrUC(e)...LA!!

I didn't say it....CBS did.

But nice try

Titty Meat
03-25-2013, 03:55 PM
What a stupid move by Minnesota. Nebraska is a year too late Smith and Howland would be excellent hires.

mnchiefsguy
03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
The AD at MN was the AD at VCU apparently, and is the one who hired Shaka Smith....so maybe he has the inside track to lure him out of VCU? That is about the only reason that would make since for them firing Tubby. We will have to see what happens.

chiefzilla1501
03-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Tubby is the herm Edwards of college coaching. He can get you to a playoff but he's not going to get you very far. In a league where coaches like Shaka smart and brad Stevens are turning nobody programs into deep NCAA teams, I don't blame Minnesota for wanting more.

Tubby is a good enough coach and a lousy recruiter. He has a decent sized program and the team has never won an NCAA tournament game. If the Minnesota AD brought in Shaka smart, maybe he believes he can get Smart (already mentioned). Or did anyone stop to wonder if he can find a Shaka smart of his own?

CoMoChief
03-25-2013, 04:22 PM
The AD at MN was the AD at VCU apparently, and is the one who hired Shaka Smith....so maybe he has the inside track to lure him out of VCU? That is about the only reason that would make since for them firing Tubby. We will have to see what happens.

VCU is a better program than Minnesota IMO. Dont know why Smart would want to leave unless it was simply for $$$

CoMoChief
03-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Tubby is the herm Edwards of college coaching. He can get you to a playoff but he's not going to get you very far. In a league where coaches like Shaka smart and brad Stevens are turning nobody programs into deep NCAA teams, I don't blame Minnesota for wanting more.

Tubby is a good enough coach and a lousy recruiter. He has a decent sized program and the team has never won an NCAA tournament game. If the Minnesota AD brought in Shaka smart, maybe he believes he can get Smart (already mentioned). Or did anyone stop to wonder if he can find a Shaka smart of his own?

Except Tubby has won a NC and Herm hasn't won shit.

I guess you think they're alike because they're both black?

chiefzilla1501
03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Except Tubby has won a NC and Herm hasn't won shit.

I guess you think they're alike because they're both black?

Tubby took a powerhouse program, got some huge wins off pitinos team, and then drove an otherwise good not great program. Which defines his legacy. He's a good not great coach. He is a pretty good coach and a poor recruiter. I don't blame any less major program for hiring him or firing him.

If brad Stevens can take butler to a national championship game, there's no excuse for tubby not to take a team like Minnesota to at least a respectable bracket run.

Brock
03-25-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm surprised minnesota ever drew a coach that good to begin with.

chiefzilla1501
03-25-2013, 04:58 PM
VCU is a better program than Minnesota IMO. Dont know why Smart would want to leave unless it was simply for $$$

VCU is a better program than Minnesota because VcU has Shaka smart. You put Smart in Minnesota, and you give him a far stronger recruiting network, probably a much richer recruiting pool of players to work off of, and like the sec, you get to coach in what is currently the best bball conference which significantly improves your ability to pull favorable rankings and recruit top shelf talent.

Smart can do better than Minnesota. But Minnesota is a far better place to be and it isn't even close.

penbrook
03-25-2013, 05:12 PM
I cant wait until FGCU plays on Friday.

Its gonna be crazy with Dunk City!!

CoMoChief
03-25-2013, 05:20 PM
VCU is a better program than Minnesota because VcU has Shaka smart. You put Smart in Minnesota, and you give him a far stronger recruiting network, probably a much richer recruiting pool of players to work off of, and like the sec, you get to coach in what is currently the best bball conference which significantly improves your ability to pull favorable rankings and recruit top shelf talent.

Smart can do better than Minnesota. But Minnesota is a far better place to be and it isn't even close.

Just because a school has better resources doesn't make it a better program. Better resources can make a better program no question. But Minnesota isn't exactly a "dream job"...I wouldn't even call it a stepping stone for guys like Smart and Stevens, they're both ready for the bigtime, and Minnesota regardless of their resources or AD or the conference they're in, they're better off staying put where they're at or waiting on a big-time program to open up like a UCLA.

Why would Smart or Stevens want to compete in a conference where all of the players go to UM,MSU,IU,OSU,IL,UW and get destroyed in a horrible situation? He'd be much better off waiting at VCU playing in the A-10 winning that conference (if thats where they're in IIRC) and waiting for a better situation like UCLA.

Unless it's hockey or wrestling, Minnesota is a garbage school for athletics.

chiefzilla1501
03-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Just because a school has better resources doesn't make it a better program. Better resources can make a better program no question. But Minnesota isn't exactly a "dream job"...I wouldn't even call it a stepping stone for guys like Smart and Stevens, they're both ready for the bigtime, and Minnesota regardless of their resources or AD or the conference they're in, they're better off staying put where they're at or waiting on a big-time program to open up like a UCLA.

Why would Smart or Stevens want to compete in a conference where all of the players go to UM,MSU,IU,OSU,IL,UW and get destroyed in a horrible situation? He'd be much better off waiting at VCU playing in the A-10 winning that conference (if thats where they're in IIRC) and waiting for a better situation like UCLA.

Unless it's hockey or wrestling, Minnesota is a garbage school for athletics.

Didn't say it was an ideal landing spot for shaka or a dream job. I'm saying it's much better than VCU, which it is. If I'm Shaka, I would go for a major school or bust. I'm saying tubby isn't as good as people here think he is, and they could do better (and no, it doesn't have to be Shaka smart).

And Minnesota is a garbage school of athletics because of sanctions. A few years ago, Cincinnati and Kentucky were garbage too. Things change when you bring in good coaches.

penbrook
03-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Lol fans at the Florida Gulf Coast pep rally were chanting "Fuck the Gators"

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-25-2013, 07:23 PM
He's always had issues with graduation rates and Minnesota doesn't fuck around with academics. I wonder if that was a factor.

KC native
03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
yeah yeah yeah...wouldn't expect anything less than a Chiefs BB. Where 9-7 and headed the right direction is Jesuscum or something.

ROFL jesuscum

Buehler445
03-25-2013, 09:01 PM
He can't recruit. That's what drove him out of UK.

whoman69
03-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Minnesota basketball was probably at its highest since the days of Michael Thompson

chiefzilla1501
03-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Minnesota basketball was probably at its highest since the days of Michael Thompson

His only NCAA tourney win at minny was against a beaten up UCLA team. How good do people think Minnesota was?

whoman69
03-26-2013, 08:14 AM
His only NCAA tourney win at minny was against a beaten up UCLA team. How good do people think Minnesota was?

They haven't exactly been compiling a big list of NCAA victories in the last 25 years or more.

chiefzilla1501
03-26-2013, 08:59 AM
They haven't exactly been compiling a big list of NCAA victories in the last 25 years or more.

How many ncaa wins did fgcu, vcu, Butler, and Miami have before their coaches turned those programs around? Good coaches make a huge difference and there are no name coaches for no name programs like brad Stevens and shaka smart that are turning programs around with no recruiting power and no resources.

Tubby has a good reputation and coached for a program with far better resources. There's no excuse for not winning games.