PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Mike Rice: Video of Rutgers Coach Assaulting Players and Throwing Balls At Their Head

ShowtimeSBMVP
04-02-2013, 01:31 PM
http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/04/02/mike-rice-video-of-rutgers-coach-assaulting-players-and-throwing-balls-at-their-heads/

Mike Rice was suspended for three games and fined $50,000 in December for his conduct during team practices. ESPN’s Outside the Lines obtained video of him hitting, shoving and kicking players as well as verbally abusing them and even throwing a basketball at a player’s head.

It is incredible this did not result in him being fired, especially at a public institution. Three games? Counseling? Really? Under what rationale is he let back in a room with “student-athletes?” One isolated incident would have been bad. This appears to be a systematic pattern.

It’s really hard to see Rice or the AD surviving this. You have to question why Rutgers felt it was a good idea, legally or practically, to let the AD get tag-teamed by Jeremy Schaap and Don Van Natta Jr. on live television.

Just wow

COchief
04-02-2013, 01:33 PM
What a shithead, how the hell does he have any players? Those older players should have told any recruits to hit the fuggin road.

BigMeatballDave
04-02-2013, 01:35 PM
What a POS. He should be fired, no doubt.

Sorter
04-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Can't ever imagine calling someone I coached "a fucking faggot".

Unbelievable.

-King-
04-02-2013, 01:50 PM
WTF? I wish one of the players would have just decked him.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
04-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Another POS that got his foot in the door because of daddy. The nepotism in sports is disgusting.

MahiMike
04-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Kids today just don't respond to 'encouragement'.

Consistent1
04-02-2013, 02:02 PM

It's really surprising that it didn't happen if he pulled that shit so much.

Carlota69
04-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I hope this POS doesn't have any children.

Sorter
04-02-2013, 02:05 PM
I hope this POS doesn't have any children.

He's going to be the YMCA BBall coach of the year in 2014

gblowfish
04-02-2013, 02:17 PM
What's the big deal? Looks fine to me! - Bobby Knight

Demonpenz
04-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Someone call in Spree to choke dis dude! /Sheed wallace

chiefzilla1501
04-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Patches O'Houlihan likes this

Sorter
04-02-2013, 05:01 PM

LMAO

SAUTO
04-02-2013, 05:23 PM

I couldn't have taken that. He stepped over the line.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bump
04-02-2013, 05:59 PM
I was watching the interview with the Rutgers Athletic Director. They were pwning the shit out of him. At one point his voice was trembling. He seemed like a big douche and kept saying "this is a first offense" FIRST OFFENSE? It went on for 2 years, but he kept saying first offense. fuck that guy and fuck rutgers.

Simplicity
04-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Rutgers really don't like their athletes. First paralyzing them, now trying to kill them during practice.... If I was the 6'5 Black stud, I would've decked him then transferred.

Molitoth
04-02-2013, 06:17 PM
What a douche move, If I was his boss I'd ban him for 3 days.

-King-
04-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Rutgers really don't like their athletes. First paralyzing them, now trying to kill them during practice.... If I was the 6'5 Black stud, I would've decked him then transferred.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I wonder what that old guy was saying.

RedDread
04-02-2013, 06:23 PM

That's what really sucks about this. If there's no video proof and no players step up to complain, all that gets out is you punching your coach. You're blackballed from the NCAA.

Rutgers has to fire him, but not necessarily because of what he did. They have to fire him because no one in their right mind would ever fucking play there.

Simplicity
04-02-2013, 06:29 PM
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I wonder what that old guy was saying.

I think it was "you are a jackass!" my guess, :D

CrazyPhuD
04-02-2013, 06:55 PM

:clap:

The pussification of america continues!!!:cuss::D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OnL_4QCODEU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NewChief
04-02-2013, 07:08 PM
I like how at the end he fires a ball at a player and the assistant hands him another ball. Rofl. Dude needs to be fired.

chiefzilla1501
04-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm surprised they commented on him firing a basketball at a guy's head and not throwing a missile at a guy's balls.

I really don't care about coaches that are tough. I have a ton of respect for Bobby Knight. This video pisses me off because this guy thinks this is actual coaching.

chiefzilla1501
04-02-2013, 07:32 PM
To add fire to fire, looks like the whistleblower got fired. And now he's going to file a wrongful termination suit. Guess what? He's going to win and Rutgers is going to pay him a very nice settlement.

Lots of stupidity here. This goes beyond the coach.

ChiTown
04-04-2013, 01:56 PM
http://wac.9ebf.edgecastcdn.net/809EBF/ec-origin.barstoolu.barstoolsports.com/files/2013/04/afikpw.gif

frankotank
04-04-2013, 02:36 PM
I was listening to 96.5 yesterday and they were saying that these players are adults and could have / should have done something about it and not put up with that crap. kinda pissed me off for a few reasons...

now I know errabody ain't gonna agree with me...but....

#1 - their scholarships are at risk if you make too many waves
#2 - an 18 - 21 year old MALE, while legally an adult, for the most part are still immature kids. these guys are still KIDS. 18 -21 year old KIDS. being bullied by an adult.

honestly I do believe if a coach tries the same crap in high school, one of those high school players is gonna beat his ass.

NewChief
04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
I was listening to 96.5 yesterday and they were saying that these players are adults and could have / should have done something about it and not put up with that crap. kinda pissed me off for a few reasons...

#2 - an 18 - 21 year old MALE, while legally an adult, for the most part are still immature kids. these guys are still KIDS. 18 -21 year old KIDS. being bullied by an adult.

honestly I do believe if a coach tries the same crap in high school, one of those high school players is gonna beat his ass.

People saying that are assholes who don't understand the dynamics of these sorts of situations. It's a person of greater power abusing people entrusted into his care and of lesser power. The ages don't matter.

It could be a 23 year old boss treating 50 year old subordinates like that. It doesn't matter, it's inexcusable.

frankotank
04-04-2013, 02:42 PM
People saying that are assholes who don't understand the dynamics of these sorts of situations. It's a person of greater power abusing people entrusted into his care and of lesser power. The ages don't matter.

It could be a 23 year old boss treating 50 year old subordinates like that. It doesn't matter, it's inexcusable.

I agree...it's just even more sickening imo in this instance since in a way....it's an adult picking on kids. and the kids are hamstrung by the need for the scholarship....if it weren't for that....ooooohhhh momma! he'da got his ass beat.

MahiMike
04-04-2013, 02:45 PM
If Orson Wells was still alive, he'd say 'Big Brother is here and he is us'.

AdumbGuy
04-04-2013, 02:50 PM

And get called out for being a prima donna/hard to coach etc. Shitty system

chiefzilla1501
04-04-2013, 03:29 PM
And get called out for being a prima donna/hard to coach etc. Shitty system

Whistle blower protections are a HUGE problem. Especially in sports.

Imagine if this was UK or Duke. The fans would have sent death threats, hate mail, etc... to the guy brave enough to submit this video.

But it wasn't UK or Duke. It was Rutgers. So the guy got fired -- enjoy your fucking lawsuit, Rutgers assholes.

Brendan08901
04-04-2013, 03:37 PM
It's about time we get recognized for our amazing basketball program.

frankotank
04-04-2013, 04:18 PM
It's about time we get recognized for our amazing basketball program.

Welcome to the B1G ....:shake:

Brendan08901
04-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Welcome to the B1G ....:shake:

I don't know how we plan on competing if our players can't even handle a little physical, mental, and emotional abuse...

Brendan08901
04-04-2013, 07:00 PM
I don't know how we plan on competing if our players can't even handle a little physical, mental, and emotional abuse...

Since I'm getting little red blocks for that comment, I figure I should let everyone know I was being sarcastic.

DTLB58
04-04-2013, 07:40 PM
I'll be 50 this year. I can't remember any part of my life I would have let anyone push me around or degrade me like this.

If these players didn't want to deck this guy, you think they would have come up with a plan to get him caught red handed, like this. There is no way I would have put up with this.

Buehler445
04-05-2013, 12:20 PM
So is anyone watching ESPN? They carried the press conference about Tim Pernetti resigning. The analysts are ripping everybody apart, they are all saying they need to clean house - President, board of directors, everybody.

Really? Coach was an ass, they fired him. So now they all need to be fired? Okay. Am I off base here?

And if all this is going on, how the hell did he recruit anybody? Why wasn't there mass transfers?

Buehler445
04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
To add fire to fire, looks like the whistleblower got fired. And now he's going to file a wrongful termination suit. Guess what? He's going to win and Rutgers is going to pay him a very nice settlement.

Lots of stupidity here. This goes beyond the coach.

Oh shit. I missed that. Isn't there some anonymity with the wistleblower policy?

houstonwhodat
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Should have gotten his ass whipped.

Deberg_1990
04-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Wow...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9146805/former-rutgers-scarlet-knights-ad-tim-pernetti-getting-12m-ipad

Former Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti is getting $1.2 million in salary, plus an iPad, car allowance and more than two years of health insurance coverage under a settlement agreement.

The Associated Press obtained details of the settlement Monday through an open records request with Rutgers. The Star-Ledger had previously reported some details.

Pernetti resigned last week after a video was made public showing former men's basketball coach Mike Rice shoving players and berating them with anti-gay slurs.

Pernetti suspended Rice in December 2012. The coach was fired last week, after the video was made public. Under his agreement, Pernetti is to be paid his base salary of $453,000 per year through June 2014 and a one-time payment of $679,500 in the next month. He gets the money even if he takes another job.

He also gets his $12,000 per-year car allowance through June 2014 and health insurance and pension payments through October 2015.

Pernetti also gets to keep his Rutgers-issued iPad and laptop computer.

Rutgers agreed to represent Pernetti in any lawsuits related to his job as athletic director.

The university agreed not to say anything negative about Pernetti to the media or prospective employers, and Pernetti agreed not to disparage the school publicly, though he is allowed to speak truthfully about the Rice situation. He also agreed to cooperate in any investigations by the school, NCAA or legal authorities.

Rice was fired last week not for cause, meaning that under his contract he is in line to be paid just more than $1 million, or 75 percent of his remaining salary, plus a $100,000 bonus for staying on the job through the 2012-13 season.

demonhero
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Grown men check
Sports check
Nobody has visible motor disabilities check

I see no problem with the coaches actions here. When females and young teenagers are put through this then I would question the coaches teaching method. from the video, I've seen he managed to hit some of the men in the head.. ok he fucked up there, but he didn't get up in there faces and throw the basketball till there faces started bleeding.

tooge
04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
If he was rubbing his balls on the players heads, I could see what the hoopla was about. Otherwise, meh.

lcarus
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
The coach was an asshole, but the media blew this thing way out of proportion. He was just tryin to be a "hard knocks" type of coach and that shit is becoming more and more unacceptable in this new media age. It's stupid, but it is what it is.

BryanBusby
04-08-2013, 03:40 PM
So is anyone watching ESPN? They carried the press conference about Tim Pernetti resigning. The analysts are ripping everybody apart, they are all saying they need to clean house - President, board of directors, everybody.

Really? Coach was an ass, they fired him. So now they all need to be fired? Okay. Am I off base here?
You are. It's one thing to of made a mistake in hiring a huge asshole that you end up having to fire. Yeah it sucks and you'll be embarrassed, but life goes on.

It's another thing to have an asshole coach that's abusing kids and try to cover it up.

chiefzilla1501
04-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Grown men check
Sports check
Nobody has visible motor disabilities check

I see no problem with the coaches actions here. When females and young teenagers are put through this then I would question the coaches teaching method. from the video, I've seen he managed to hit some of the men in the head.. ok he ****ed up there, but he didn't get up in there faces and throw the basketball till there faces started bleeding.

The part that bothered me was throwing at the guys nuts.

And when you represent a university, it doesn't help your case to be calling your players slurs.

He should be fired. If anything, because this proves he is a shitty coach and no player would ever get recruited for rutgers knowing they'd have to deal with this guy.

lcarus
04-08-2013, 04:02 PM
The part that bothered me was throwing at the guys nuts.

And when you represent a university, it doesn't help your case to be calling your players slurs.

He should be fired. If anything, because this proves he is a shitty coach and no player would ever get recruited for rutgers knowing they'd have to deal with this guy.

Not only that, but they sucked, so...no dilemma there.

TEX
04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
The coach was an asshole, but the media blew this thing way out of proportion. He was just tryin to be a "hard knocks" type of coach and that shit is becoming more and more unacceptable in this new media age. It's stupid, but it is what it is.

To a point is is - especially when the media "sensationalize" a story like this. I think the deal here is the University tried to cover it up and that made it worse. For the record, I've had a few asshole coaches do the same kinds things to me and my teammates as the Rutgers coach did (had a coach bounce a basketball off my head 5 or 6 times because I wasn't running a pic and roll fast enough) - we all just dealt with it. It was a different time - different place...

BryanBusby
04-08-2013, 04:16 PM

lol what