PDA

View Full Version : Misc Gardeners, what are you planting this year?

Fire Me Boy!
04-08-2013, 08:41 AM
We've been in our home a bit over two years now and are finally tackling some of our garden areas.

Last year, we planted some sage, oregano, and rosemary... the rosemary really took off, and I think the sage and oregano will do fine.

This year, we've added a couple blueberry and raspberry bushes. In a couple stone planters (because they wouldn't survive the harsh winters of Alabama), I've got a new Meyer lemon tree and I'll be adding a Kaffir lime tree next week.

The wife wants to add some strawberries in the back, and this fall I'll add some bay laurel and probably some garlic.

I'm also trying to decide if I want to remove the solo fig tree (I think they're kinda ugly) or add another one (I do like me some fresh figs, but they're not self pollinating).

Home gardeners, what's on your to-do list?

KurtCobain
04-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Marijuana

cdcox
04-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Seeds of bitter disappointment./ Reid and Dorsey

boogblaster
04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
just some mators this year .. ole-woman claims ima killin her .....

Mr_Tomahawk
04-08-2013, 09:20 AM
-3 Birch
-5 Aspen
-2 Maples
-6 Arborvitae
-1 Spruce

KC_Lee
04-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Corn
Tomatoes
Cuckes
Pole Beans
Radishes
Squash
Beets

Wife will have potted herbs on the front porch again this year too.

Dartgod
04-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Just 'maters and peppers. I had jalapenos and a habanero last year, may add a couple more varieties.

Chief Faithful
04-08-2013, 09:30 AM
I planted cherry trees
To keep the birds out of the cherries I planted mulberry and service berry trees
I planted Fig trees
To keep the squirrels out of the Figs I planted a Peach tree
Planted apple trees and so far so good
In the garden I have tomatoes, peppers, watermelon, pumpkin, chives, lettuce, carrots
To keep the rabbits out of the garden thankfully there is a hawks nest above and a cat below
I also have grapes, persimmon tree and black berries

I'm thinking strongly about a pecan tree, herb garden and a lot more berries

threebag
04-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Little of everything. Only going to garden one spot this year.

loochy
04-08-2013, 09:33 AM
a burning aids tree

Fire Me Boy!
04-08-2013, 09:33 AM
-3 Birch
-5 Aspen
-2 Maples
-6 Arborvitae
-1 Spruce

You're planting 17 trees in a garden?

Fire Me Boy!
04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
a burning aids tree

Hmmm. I always thought to get a burning AIDS tree you'd just set a regular AIDS tree on fire. I had no idea there was such a varietal as a burning AIDS tree.

KC_Lee
04-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Just 'maters and peppers. I had jalapenos and a habanero last year, may add a couple more varieties.

Couple of years ago I had a jalapeno plant in a pot next to a Thai chilli pepper plant in a pot. They cross polinated each other and I got red jalapenos. Interesting to say the least.

threebag
04-08-2013, 09:36 AM
It's not a flaming fire aids tree but the sap burns like the clap

Mr_Tomahawk
04-08-2013, 09:38 AM
You're planting 17 trees in a garden?

Yes.

It's one bed/berm that I've built along the back end of my property. Spent last year hauling in the fill...finall get to plant it this year.

loochy
04-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Hmmm. I always thought to get a burning AIDS tree you'd just set a regular AIDS tree on fire. I had no idea there was such a varietal as a burning AIDS tree.

You CAN do that, but if you plant the burning variety is much more flammable. Try putting some dry unmixed miracle gro on the flames to enhance the burning aids effect.

Dartgod
04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Couple of years ago I had a jalapeno plant in a pot next to a Thai chilli pepper plant in a pot. They cross polinated each other and I got red jalapenos. Interesting to say the least.

Jalapenos will turn red.

Fire Me Boy!
04-08-2013, 09:42 AM
You CAN do that, but if you plant the burning variety is much more flammable. Try putting some dry unmixed miracle gro on the flames to enhance the burning aids effect.

ROFL, rep to you, sir.

tooge
04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
I put in 120 onion sets Saturday, along with several rows of bush beans.

Already got four blueberries, and added two more Saturday.
Already have blackberries and raspberries, and grapes
Already have garlic and chives
Will plant maters, jalapenos, okra, tomatillos, and some zuchini

Ace Gunner
04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
booby flowers

Fire Me Boy!
04-08-2013, 09:53 AM
booby flowers

Are those flowers shaped like them, or the actual things? Because you may be on to something.

loochy
04-08-2013, 10:00 AM
i plant some Brandon Flowers

Skyy God
04-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Patio tomatoes and basil so far. Should be great for caprese and paninis.

ChiefsLV
04-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Planted the following this year:
Zuchinni - stuffed zuchinni yum
Beets
Radishes
Eggplant
Artichoke plants
Lettuce varieties
Cilantro
Tomatoes
Sunflowers
Basil
Lemon balm for tea
Chives
Oregano
Mint in its own pot
Multiple varieties of sage
Parsley
Lemon grass
Also have the following trees in the yard:
Pomegranate
Fig
Nectarine
Valencia orange

My understanding was that aids trees started out as HIV saplings and progressed from there.

BlackHelicopters
04-08-2013, 10:53 AM

I , too, am perplexed at this new revelation.

BlackHelicopters
04-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Gonna try sum punkins this here year.

Richard_Cuckold
04-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Huh? Don't you have a woman to do that stuff?

Anyways, I live in a apartment complex, so the Mexxican landscapers take care of all of that stuff.

tooge
04-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Anyways, I live in a apartment complex, so the Mexxican landscapers take care of all of that stuff.

I'm not surprised by this

BlackHelicopters
04-08-2013, 11:15 AM

Asking for it mods..................

Just Passin' By
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm going to finish adding some berry bushes. I've got about another 3 blackberry to plant, and I might have to replace 1-2 blueberry bushes from last year. I'll be adding another 2 cherry bushes, as well.

After that, it's going to be a full slate of herbs, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant and the like. I keep going back and forth on grapes, so I'm still not sure if I'll add them this year.

KurtCobain
04-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Asking for it mods..................

How the fuck is he "asking" for it.

tooge
04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm going to finish adding some berry bushes. I've got about another 3 blackberry to plant, and I might have to replace 1-2 blueberry bushes from last year. I'll be adding another 2 cherry bushes, as well.

After that, it's going to be a full slate of herbs, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant and the like. I keep going back and forth on grapes, so I'm still not sure if I'll add them this year.

It takes a good 3-4 years on the grapes to start getting some decent crop. If you are thinking about it, I'd get started sooner rather than later.

threebag
04-08-2013, 11:51 AM
How the **** is he "asking" for it.

Must have been sign language.

Just Passin' By
04-08-2013, 05:54 PM
It takes a good 3-4 years on the grapes to start getting some decent crop. If you are thinking about it, I'd get started sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the advice. The back and forth is because of space limitations. I'm just not sure if we've really got the space for doing grapes on the scale we were thinking. I think I'll talk to my brother about using part of his place for the grapes. He's got land that he'll probably never use.

Groves
04-08-2013, 08:49 PM
2 cherry bushes, as well..

Tell us more bout these.

I planted 60 black raspberry plants last week. Hope I like em.

Simply Red
04-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Apricots

ghak99
04-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Sweet corn, green peppers, banana peppers, tomatoes, grape tomatoes, radishes, beans, and some leaf lettuce and onions is always more work than I'll want.

I'm hoping the 2 year old blackberry patch produces this year, the heat and drought really held it back last summer.

I've wanted to add some Cherry trees to the already established apple, pear, plumb, & persimmons but I need to wipe out an old strawberry bed to make the mowing easier and I highly doubt I get around to it this spring.

I cuss the work every summer, but it's rewarding and somewhat of a stress reliever.

MOhillbilly
04-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Half mile of red and white potatoes yesterday. A couple strawberry plants, carrots, spring greens, few rows of garlic ( last fall), herbs, and some other shit. Fuckin plowed a good chunk for this year already. Split time last week between live stock and garden and that's tough when you have hundreds of animals. 3000 sq ft green house we put in is gonna be a hoot.

MOhillbilly
04-08-2013, 09:41 PM

Lol

ghak99
04-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Half mile of red and white potatoes yesterday. A couple strawberry plants, carrots, spring greens, few rows of garlic ( last fall), herbs, and some other shit. ****in plowed a good chunk for this year already. Split time last week between live stock and garden and that's tough when you have hundreds of animals. 3000 sq ft green house we put in is gonna be a hoot.

That's not a garden... That's a slave labor camp!

Buehler445
04-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Half mile of red and white potatoes yesterday. A couple strawberry plants, carrots, spring greens, few rows of garlic ( last fall), herbs, and some other shit. Fuckin plowed a good chunk for this year already. Split time last week between live stock and garden and that's tough when you have hundreds of animals. 3000 sq ft green house we put in is gonna be a hoot.

I've always thought a greenhouse would own shit, but I can't think of an economical way to make it withstand the wind.

ghak99
04-08-2013, 11:32 PM
I've always thought a greenhouse would own shit, but I can't think of an economical way to make it withstand the wind.

I have a family member with several in Oklahoma and they can't either. You should see the pics they text every few months when a storm blows the shit into the fan. Once the plastic goes it throws their special little herbs and seasonal flowers all over the place. ROFL

A couple years ago a wealthy farmer in South Dakota set his 17 year old daughter up with one of the first large scale pole barn type of greenhouses I'd seen. The clear plastic panels looked exactly like the skylights on our Morton buildings, but thicker and obviously clearer. The university of Missouri used the same style of building, but much smaller, to do some research in too. I'd hate to see the initial investment cost though.

Willie Lanier
04-09-2013, 01:49 AM
Not technically gardening more landscaping but I'm putting in some ornamental pear trees and a locust, they always look good and don't have terribly invasive root systems

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-09-2013, 02:09 AM
I planted 8, 4x4 posts in concrete yesterday two foot deep. They're already 8 feet tall.

Boiled Chicken
04-09-2013, 05:13 AM

Just curious, but how do you keep the squirrels out of all of your berry bushes? I've tried spray, chicken wire and BB gun (and they destroy my tomatoes also).

Ace Gunner
04-09-2013, 05:19 AM
Just curious, but how do you keep the squirrels out of all of your berry bushes? I've tried spray, chicken wire and BB gun (and they destroy my tomatoes also).

dog does it

loochy
04-09-2013, 05:20 AM

Dude I want to go eat at MO's place. Fresh veggies and fresh meat abound. I hope someone there is a good cook.

Loneiguana
04-09-2013, 06:23 AM
So far the wife and I have planeted:
Lettuce
Spinach
onions
potatoes
10 pepper plants
broccoli
artichoke
a few herbs

Going to wait a week or two, then will finish up with tomatoes

My garden as of Sunday:
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/563628_10100658377193964_1824918478_n.jpg

MOhillbilly
04-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Dude I want to go eat at MO's place. Fresh veggies and fresh meat abound. I hope someone there is a good cook.

My woman is the cook. I wouldn't have married her if she couldn't cook. We put up a shit load of food for us and our clients every week. This really is the land of milk and honey. You just have to be willing to work 90 hours a week from march through November.
Springtime boot camp is tough but it gets the body ready for hay season and tempers the mind for summer.
Next year ill have to take on a hand for the season.

Even workin that many hours we have a hard time keeping up.

HonestChieffan
04-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Red Potatoes and White Potatoes, probably 30 or so Tomatoes, Herbs, lettuce, carrots, Brussels sprouts, collards, pumpkins, summer squash, winter squash, cantaloupe, asparagus, blueberries, okra, sweet corn...probably some others I just forgot to list. Fall tilled, need to get a few dry days then Ill spring till and get busy planting

MOhillbilly
04-09-2013, 06:58 AM
Red Potatoes and White Potatoes, probably 30 or so Tomatoes, Herbs, lettuce, carrots, Brussels sprouts, collards, pumpkins, summer squash, winter squash, cantaloupe, asparagus, blueberries, okra, sweet corn...probably some others I just forgot to list. Fall tilled, need to get a few dry days then Ill spring till and get busy planting

I love collards but have never grown them. Still wet in your area?

MOhillbilly
04-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Picked up some onion sets at hummerts in st joe.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Poppies. I'm going to need a lot of tea to make it through this fucking regime.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorter
04-09-2013, 11:08 AM
I'd like to plant some Basil, Rosemary, Tomatoes, and some other things.

Buehler445
04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
It's 25. Wind blowing 40 sustained. Going to be 14 tonight. Not going to grow much today.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-09-2013, 12:38 PM
46 degrees, moderate breeze. All is well in the ABQ.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
04-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Neighbor tilled yesterday. Two days after after it rained an inch.

Buehler445
04-10-2013, 12:49 PM

:spock:

Is he planting into pure sand?

houstonwhodat
04-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Tree of anguish.

MOhillbilly
04-10-2013, 01:15 PM
:spock:

Is he planting into pure sand?

40 acres and a fool, dude.

MOhillbilly
04-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Made a nice pond today though.

Sunny side of life and all....

Buehler445
04-10-2013, 01:23 PM
40 acres and a fool, dude.

Dude has a 40 acre garden? Either way I'm surprised he could till.

Buehler445
04-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Made a nice pond today though.

Sunny side of life and all....

Is this a critter watering pond or a fufu fish pond?

MOhillbilly
04-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Dude has a 40 acre garden? Either way I'm surprised he could till.

Del McCoury song. Might give you a chuckle.

He churned a shit load of mud.

Buehler445
04-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Del McCoury song. Might give you a chuckle.

He churned a shit load of mud.

LOL. I'll check it out.

I imagine the hardpan under that would be astronomical.

MOhillbilly
04-10-2013, 01:41 PM
LOL. I'll check it out.

I imagine the hardpan under that would be astronomical.

Dude it was killing him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2013, 01:49 PM
two more gladiola shoots popped up today.
Posted via Mobile Device

ghak99
04-10-2013, 01:58 PM

One of my neighbors did too... It looked like a garden full of baseballs and golf balls.

It's probably totally screwed for the season. It has a fairly high clay content and this mornings rain didn't even begin to help it mellow. LMAO

Buehler445
04-10-2013, 02:55 PM
One of my neighbors did too... It looked like a garden full of baseballs and golf balls.

It's probably totally screwed for the season. It has a fairly high clay content and this mornings rain didn't even begin to help it mellow. LMAO

I can't imagine how he even got through it.

MOhillbilly
04-10-2013, 07:27 PM
I felt bad for the guy but just for a sec. His wife was yelling at him. She's kinda fruity. All my greens germinated today.

Just Passin' By
04-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Tell us more bout these.

I planted 60 black raspberry plants last week. Hope I like em.

Here's the one I added to the garden last year.

Truly the perfect cherry, Carmine Jewel has large, gorgeous purplish-red fruit with a luscious balance of high sugars and a complement of acids, creating a rich flavor. Fruit has high flesh-to-pit ratio and is excellent for use in pies, preserves, juice, dried fruit and eating fresh. Yields up to 15+ pounds by its fourth year, and 20-30 pounds in its fifth year. Growing to only 6 1/2 ft. tall, this is a naturally dwarfed bush with full-sized fruit—much easier to maintain than typical cherries. Carmine Jewel is grown on its own roots, so you get no suckers of inferior quality root stock. Extreme cold hardiness and few problems from disease and pests make this beauty a breeze to grow. Abundant, white and pink flowers and glossy, green leaves allow it to double as an ornamental in your landscape in early spring.

http://www.henryfields.com/product/Carmine_Jewel_Dwarf_Cherry_Tree/bush_cherries

Just Passin' By
04-10-2013, 08:33 PM

I've got a cat who loves to kill little critters, and a dog who loves to kill big critters. They keep most of the animals away.

Cannibal
04-10-2013, 08:34 PM
http://www.maryjanesgarden.com/growing/images/what-are-sativa-plants.png

stonedstooge
04-10-2013, 08:35 PM
http://www.maryjanesgarden.com/growing/images/what-are-sativa-plants.png

I likey

KurtCobain
04-10-2013, 08:46 PM
I find if you grow the aids first on its own and then let it mature in flames while you grow the tree into it over a great number of years, you get the type of perfection in your flaming aids tree that really only Matthew Cassel deserves to be anally raped with.

Sweet Daddy Hate
04-10-2013, 09:04 PM
I find if you grow the aids first on its own and then let it mature in flames while you grow the tree into it over a great number of years, you get the type of perfection in your flaming aids tree that really only Matthew Cassel deserves to be anally raped with.

LMAO. Fucking awesome. You know what would be cool? A short film of the PBS "happy tree" atrist with the huge white-fro painting Cassel being raped by said tree and providing commentary.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
04-14-2013, 07:41 PM
1800 red onion sets. 1800 yellows to go.

stonedstooge
04-14-2013, 07:55 PM
More damn cold weather coming this week. Can't put out my flowers

hometeam
04-14-2013, 08:08 PM
I am trying my hand at growing grass.

Literally.

My yard had been run to dirt by 4 dogs, and I want to get out of this place so I am forced to grow grass.

It's a lot harder than you (and I) might think. At least I am too the point after 3 weeks to where the yard looks more like scrub desert than the surface of the moon~

KS Smitty
04-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Planted my pepper seeds in jiffy pots today. It's kind of late but the way the weather has been I don't think I'm too late. 8 kinds with Moruga Trinidad Scorpion being the hottest to Corno Di Toro as the mildest with Peter Pepper as the most visually appealing.

Rasputin
04-14-2013, 08:14 PM
It keeps freezing so am afraid to plant anything yet. Not sure what I want to plant though.

KS Smitty
04-14-2013, 08:21 PM
It keeps freezing so am afraid to plant anything yet. Not sure what I want to plant though.

Yeah my pepper seeds are indoors 'til at least Mother's Day. They like a soil temp around 70 degrees to grow so I think I'm good.

Did stick some Swiss Chard out, "cole" crops are good to go here as well as peas, taters and onions.

MOhillbilly
04-14-2013, 09:24 PM
I did two ghost pepper plants last year. People who buy them are insane. The hot dry summer made even mild peppers hot.

KS Smitty
04-14-2013, 09:34 PM
I did two ghost pepper plants last year. People who buy them are insane. The hot dry summer made even mild peppers hot.

I have no intention of using those scorpions, I read where some folks were testing the heat in them and had to keep changing gloves as the capsacin (sp) would penetrate the latex. Some fools are wanting them around here so I figure I have a cash crop and they're pretty plants.

MOhillbilly
04-14-2013, 09:42 PM
I deseeded hundreds and hundreds of jalapeños last year. My fingers burned for days. That fuckin sucked.

Rasputin
04-14-2013, 09:51 PM
I deseeded hundreds and hundreds of jalapeños last year. My fingers burned for days. That ****in sucked.

Ouch. fuck that.

MOhillbilly
04-14-2013, 09:53 PM
It made some killer salsa. Totally worth it.

KS Smitty
04-14-2013, 10:01 PM
How much salsa did you make?

MOhillbilly
04-14-2013, 10:02 PM
How much salsa did you make?

Couple hundred quarts.

KS Smitty
04-14-2013, 10:09 PM
WOW! I do good to get a couple dozen quarts done up. I make the salsa outside on the turkey cooker in a big stock pot but I haven't found a canning pot that holds more than 7 quarts at a time and I do those indoors to insure a steady temp. I cannot fathom doing more than that at one time.

MOhillbilly
04-15-2013, 06:51 AM
We do ours in five gallon roasters and 20 gallons at a time. The shit part is hot packing all those jars. Jars or lids that fail and getting all that water back up to temp blows.

MOhillbilly
04-15-2013, 06:54 AM
The cheap Walmart jars are the worst when it comes to jar failure. When you take em from the hot dish washer to the hot pack station they cool enough that they shatter in the boiling water. Pain in the Ass. Mainstay brand.

Dave Lane
04-15-2013, 07:40 AM
This year I think I'm just gonna do bulb type flowers after the destruction of my vegetable garden last year and the year before

mr. tegu
04-15-2013, 08:06 AM
We bought our house at the end of last year and are now working on the outside. The people before us didn't do much which stands out negatively because it is a nice neighborhood with most people taking pride in their yard. So yesterday we did our first planter. It was simple and a small job but it makes a big difference. It was incredibly windy yesterday so all the flowers have been blown sideways. Here are the before and after pictures.

Edit - I have no idea why the pictures aren't showing up embedded on the desktop. Oh well.

MOhillbilly
04-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Very P. Allen Smith.

Rausch
04-15-2013, 10:24 AM
We bought our house at the end of last year and are now working on the outside. The people before us didn't do much which stands out negatively because it is a nice neighborhood with most people taking pride in their yard. So yesterday we did our first planter. It was simple and a small job but it makes a big difference. It was incredibly windy yesterday so all the flowers have been blown sideways. Here are the before and after pictures.

Edit - I have no idea why the pictures aren't showing up embedded on the desktop. Oh well.

Yuck.

That $3it looks like you let your kid decorate a 4 ft stretch of lawn.

Where do you live?

(NE, SE, MW, W, etc...)

mr. tegu
04-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Yuck.

That $3it looks like you let your kid decorate a 4 ft stretch of lawn.

Where do you live?

(NE, SE, MW, W, etc...)

You mean the before? We are in KS.

InChiefsHeaven
04-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Just finished expanding and tierring the garden this weekend. We have a ton of space this year, so we'll have:

2 types of tomatoes, 3 peppers, cantalope, 2 kinds of potatoes, onions, cucumbers, and I'm sure the wife will come up with more. Also, we have a herb garden with chives, rosemary, oregano. Tried Cilantro one year, but basically it doesn't continue to yield and you are left with carraway seeds or something. We just buy our cilantro, cuz we eat alot of it and no way do we have the space.

MOhillbilly
04-15-2013, 11:10 AM
This year I think I'm just gonna do bulb type flowers after the destruction of my vegetable garden last year and the year before

Annuals or perennial?

Groves
04-18-2013, 12:25 PM
So yesterday we did our first planter. It was simple and a small job but it makes a big difference. It was incredibly windy yesterday so all the flowers have been blown sideways. Here are the before and after pictures.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/19/7ezahaqy.jpg

Buehler445
04-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Snowed again today. Down to 25 again tonight. Brrrr.

MOhillbilly
04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
It's soupy. I'm not complaining though.

tooge
04-18-2013, 01:50 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/19/7ezahaqy.jpg

that's funny. I just pulled two of those "trees" that the previous owner planted. I've been hating them for 9 years.

cookster50
04-18-2013, 02:49 PM
that's funny. I just pulled two of those "trees" that the previous owner planted. I've been hating them for 9 years.

Why? What about them makes them so hate-worthy?

Buehler445
04-23-2013, 09:51 AM
26 degrees and light snow. Supposed to get down to 21 tonight. Ugh. Hopefully this is our last cold spell.